|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (GLANCY - HINKEL).
H. M. GLANCY, Secretary of the Atchison Gas Company, is a native of Ohio; he was born in Clermont County, June 6, 1827, was educated in his native county, and in 1852 had a position as salesman in a wholesale dry goods house in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1862, he went into business for himself in Springfield, Ill. In 1869, he settled in Atchison, Kas., and engaged in dry goods business until March, 1881. Was appointed to present position in December 6, 1880, but did not give it his entire attention until March, 1881. Mr. G. was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, in August, 1854, to Miss Death, a graduate of Hughes' High School, of that city. They have two children - Absalom D. and William H. Mr. and Mrs. Glancy are members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Glancy is known in Kansas as a prominent temperance worker.
H. C. GOLDEN, local freight agent C. R. I. & P. R. R., was born in Chatham, Columbia Co., N. Y., February 7, 1844. His parents moved to Newark, N. J., in 1852, where he received his education and was engaged as bookkeeper in a merchantile establishment. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment New York; Volunteer Infantry, was commissioned First Lieutenant in December, 1864, and in 1865, received his commission as Captain of same company. The Regiment was captured at Harper's Ferry, parolled on the field and three months after exchanged and returned to the army of the Potomac and participated in all the battles up to the close of the war. On the close of the war he returned to New York, and shortly after became connected with the Boston & Albany R. R., as freight clerk, at Springfield, Mass. In 1867, he moved to Kansas and located at Lawrence as paymaster clerk on the K. P. R. R., one year later removed to Atchison to take the position of chief clerk of the freight department of the Mo. P. R. R. In 1874, was appointed agent of the Mo. P. R. R. Retained this position until 1877, when he resigned to take his present position. Mr. G. was married at Atchison, December 20, 1876, to Miss M. A. Kelley, of Atchison. They have one child - Harry H. Mr. G. is a member of the Lodge, Chapter, Commandry and Council in the Masonic Fraternity, being P. E. C. of Commandery. Is also a member of the A. O. U. W., and Knights of Pythias.
JOHN ERVING GRAHAM, barber and hair dresser, came to Kansas, April 1, 1880, and located at Atchison. Mr. Graham was born in Middleport, Iroquois Co., Ill., January 4, 1853, where he lived but one year, when his parents removed to Fayette, Fayette Co., Iowa, where he remained until he came to Kansas. Mr. Graham is a member of the tonsorial firm of Graham & Hudson, of Atchison, and they have one of the finest establishments west of the Mississippi River.
SAMPSON GRAVES, farmer, three and one-half miles northwest of Atchison, was born in Union County, Tenn., in 1825, and brought up in that State. In 1842, moved to Buchanan County, Mo., and engaged in farming. In 1846, he drove a team to Dent's Fort, N. M., returning the following year to Buchanan County, where he remained until 1850, when he went to California, where he followed lumbering until 1852, when he engaged in farming until 1855. He then moved to this State, arriving in 1857 and locating a farm north of Troy, Doniphan County. In 1862, enlisted in Company B., Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and served in the Western Department; was at the battle of Prairie Grove, Mo., and in nearly all the engagements of his regiment, and was discharged at Leavenworth, Kas., in July, 1865, when he returned to his farm in Doniphan County, which he shortly afterwards sold, moved to his present place on Deer Creek, where he has ninety-six acres, eighty acres under cultivation, has 800 fruit trees and one and one-half miles of hedge fence. Was married in 1850, in Buchanan County, Mo., to Miss Elizabeth Moses. They have six children - Solomon, Ann L., Sylvester, Ida B., Minnie M., and Frederick S. He was elected Treasurer of the School Board and served three years. In 1880, was elected Township Trustee; has held the offices of Justice of the Peace and Township Clerk. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. C. GREENAWALT has been engaged in the practice of law at Atchison since the fall of 1871, the time of his location in the State of Kansas. He was born near Morristown, in Montgmery Co., Pa., April 17, 1840. At about four years of age he removed with his parents to Ohio, which State remained his home until 1864, in which year he was admitted to the bar at Ravenna, Ohio. He commenced practice in Platte City, Mo., remaining there until about a year prior to his locating in Atchison. In 1862, after graduating from the Michigan University, he entered the army, enlisting in the Eighty-Sixth Ohio Infantry. He was in that regiment, and also in the First Ohio Sharpshooters for a few months.
RICHARD J. GROVES, florist, was born in Worcestershire, England, August 8, 1831. Was employed in gardening in his native country; and after coming to the United States, located in Atchison in 1860. One year later he entered the war of rebellion, volunteering with Company D of the Thirteenth Kansas Infantry; but at the expiration of nine months was discharged, ill health unfitting him for active service. Returning to Atchison, he followed various occupations until 1867, when he embarked in his present undertaking, and fifteen years' experience in that time has increased his stock and trade considerably. His original hot house, 10X12, has been succeeded by four large structures, one 24X60, another 20X60, and still two others, 11X60. He is well known throughout the State as one of the oldest and best florists in Kansas. Mr. Groves is also quite extensively engaged in vegetable gardening, and has an island of thirty acres in the Missouri River devoted to that purpose. He has raised, during the past year, 6,000 bushels of sweet potatoes.
ALPHONSE E. GUSHING, senior member of the firm of Gushing & Merwin, grain commission merchants, was originally from France, born in the city of Verdun, September 14, 1841. Emigrated to the United States in 1845, locating in St. Louis. In 1871 came to Atchison, and first engaged in the loan and real estate business, but in '74 abandoned this to go into the grain trade, which he operated alone for one year. Then the firm of Gardner & Gushing was organized, but in 1877, they dissolved, and the firm was afterwards known as Gushing & McNeil, dealers in coal and grain. After running together two years, they also dissolved, and from that time until the present firm was organized, the subject of this sketch was engaged at railroad contracting. They are now one of the most extensive grain commission firms in the city. Their receipts for 1882 will exceed one million bushels. They have four men who travel throughout Kansas and Nebraska, in addition to eight and sometimes more local buyers in this State. Both men are efficient members of the Board of Trade, while Mr. Gushing was one of the instigators of the same and has worked with untiring zeal and energy for the promotion and success of this enterprise. Mr. Gushing has served one term on the Board of Education of Atchison, and is a member of both of the Chicago and St. Louis Boards of Trade.
G. V. HAGAMAN, located in Wayne Township, Doniphan Co., Kan., in the fall of 1868, at which place he resided and carried on his farm until September, 1881; the two latter years of this period being also engaged in buying grain at Brenner. In January, 1882, in partnership with D. M. Wynkoop, he opened a hardware and agricultural implement establishment in the city of Atchison. Mr. Hagaman was born in Berkley County, W. Va., May 6, 1845, from which place he removed to Indiana with his parents at the age of four years, and there lived until he located in Kansas. He was married February, 1868, at Laporte, Ind., to Anna Mary Wynkoop, from Pennsylvania. The names of their three children are, Cora May, Maude Estelle, and Pearly. Mr. Marinus Hagaman, father of G. V., lives in Wayne Township, Doniphan County. His mother died in Indiana. The parents of Mrs. Hagaman, David and Sarah Wynkoop, reside in Wayne. In February, 1865, Mr. Hagaman enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-First Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until September of the same year. In 1880 he was elected member of the Kansas House of Representatives.
GEORGE L. HALL, engineer on the Missouri Pacific R. R., residence at St. Joseph, Mo., has been in the employment of the railroad since 1870. He first worked at repairing roads on the K. C., St. Joeseph & C. B. R. R., but soon quit that and went to braking on a freight train. From this he got to be a fireman on an engine, and then in March, 1876, began to run an engine himself. In December, 1879, Mr. Hall engaged with the Missouri Pacific R. R. and is now running between St. Joe and Atchison. He was born in Clinton County, Ind., September 13, 1850. His wife was Miss Mattie Smallwood, of Kentucky, whom he married in December, 1872. She died May 12, 1881, leaving one daughter, Flora G. Mr. Hall is connected with the Locomotive Fireman's Brotherhood of St. Joe, Mo., No. 43.
J. A. HAM, boot and shoe dealer, one of the pioneers of Atchison, and one who has been closely associated with the development of Kansas, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Fleming County, October 1, 1835. In 1852 came to Kansas and entered 160 acres of land in Atchison County. He was among the first settlers in Atchison, and after a short residence removed to Rushville, Mo. In 1861 he entered the employ of Gard & Newcomb as clerk, continuing two years, and has been identified in the commercial circles of Atchison since that time, engaging in the present business January 1, 1882. Politically and socially, he has figured prominently in Atchison County, and few citizens are more favorably and popularly known. He was City Assessor of Atchison one year, and with the pioneer and the newcomer was always a favorite acquaintance. Mr. Ham was married in 1865 to Miss Francisian Barnes. By this union they have six children - Willie, Charlie, Linley, Nellie, George, Eddie. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
EDWIN S. HARRIS, engineer on the Mo. Pac. R. R., residence 1505 Utah avenue, corner of Liberty street, was born April 19, 1841, at Bellevue, Mich. At the age of nine years he began as a train boy on the Michigan Central, which he followed two seasons; then for a time went to school, and afterwards came west to Wisconsin, and was brakeman on the old Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad. Then went as fireman on the New Albany & Salem road, but in the fall of this year returned to school again, and from that time until 1857 followed various occupations. Came to St. Louis in the fall of that year, and until September 4, 1864, was employed as a fireman on different roads. He was then put in charge of an engine, which he ran on the Hannibal & St. Joe Railroad until the fall of 1864, and between that time and 1877 was engineer on various railroads, six years of that time being spent on the Wabash road. He then came to Atchison and entered the service of the Mo. Pac. R. R. where he is considered one of the best engineers on the road. Mr. Harris is one of the original members of the Loconotive Engineers' Brotherhood; also belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the A. F. & A. M., both in the lodge and chapter. His wife was Mrs. Catherine Adams, of Quincy, Ill., whose maiden name was Spreen. They were married February 22, 1863.
HARRISON & ROBINS, steam laundry. This firm was established March 16, 1882, and runs one of the largest steam laundries in the city, employing ten men. Is furnished with all of the latest improvements in that line, which go so far in making a success of this business. Henry P. Harrison, senior member of the above firm, came with his parents Thomas and Mary Harrison, to Atchison in 1867, his father being a capitalist. After receiving a liberal education, he learned the plumbers' trade. Was born in Dubuque, Iowa, February 23, 1858. A. H. Robins, of the above firm. was born in Zanesville, Ohio, February 26, 1851. Removed west to Henry County, Iowa, with his parents, who were farmers; afterwards going to Cedar Rapids, and in 1881 came to Atchison.
ALFRED J. HARWI, wholesale and retail hardware merchant, came to Atchison in August, 1873, and established the above business in company with C. H. Dearborn. At the expiration of five months, purchased his partner's interest, conducting the business since that time alone. Has steadily increased from the original small capital of $2,200, till to-day he carries a stock of $60,000. This speaks well for the excellent business capacity of Mr. Harwi, and he may well be classed with the live, energetic men of the city. Employs nine men continually, two of them traveling salesmen, as he also handles farm machinery, wagons, etc. Occupies three floors, the main one 22X150, basement the same, and upper floor 60X22, besides carriage repository, 45X100 , and to give a more definite idea of the magnitude of this firm's business, the trade during the year past amounted to $150,000. A. J. Harwi was born in Lehigh County, Pa., January 21, 1847. Commenced clerking in a hardware store in 1860, and has had twenty-two years experience in that line. In 1878, at Atchison, he married Miss Lizzie Whitehead, of Michigan, Edwin C. Harwi, traveling salesman, and brother of the above, came to Atchison in 1877, and first became connected with the above house as a canvasser for the agricultural implement department. In two years' time he worked up considerable trade in this branch; then took charge of the retail hardware department for one year, and at the expiration of that time became traveling salesman for the same house. He is a gentleman who thoroughly understands his business, and is not excelled by any salesman on the road. E. E. Harwi is also a native of Lehigh County, Pa., born January 7, 1850, and pursued various occupations previous to coming to Kansas. His wife was Miss Ellen Kemmerer, of Pennsylvania, to whom he was married there in 1871. Both are members of the Presbyterian Church.
GEORGE HELD, proprietor of restaurant and boarding-house, came to Kansas in April, 1861, locating in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 5, I. O. O. F., of Atchison. He took part in the late war as a member of Company B., Eighth Regiment Kansas Infantry, and enlisted in July, 1861, at Fort Leavenworth, and discharged for disability at the United States General Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, February, 1863. Mr. Held was born December 10, 1819, in Elsas, France, and lived in his native country until his twenty-sixth year, when he emigrated to America and located (July 4, 1845), in Chicago, where he lived five years, and then removed to Freeport, Ill., where he lived seven years and from there removed to Monroe, Wis., where he lived about one year and then started for Pike's Peak, but got no farther than Omaha, where he remained about seven months, after which time he returned to Leavenworth, where he remained but a short time and then removed to Weston, Mo., where he lived until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion, when, on account of his Free-state proclivities, he left Missouri and came to Kansas. Mr. Held was married in Elsas, France, on Easter Tuesday, 1845, to Miss Mary Magdalina Meyer, a native of France. They have six children living, whose names are: Marie (married to Otto C. Hager, a merchant of Atchison), George W., Carrie (married to Henry Manglesdorf, a grocer of Atchison), Emma (married to Frank Bockris, a tinsmith residing in Atchison), John C. (a cigar-maker, at present residing in Chicago), and Annie.
GEORGE W. HELD, harness-maker, came to Kansas in June, 1866, locating in the city of Atchison, where he commenced learning his trade with ex-Mayor Clem Rohr. With the exception of the time spent in the United Staes Army, he has made his home in Atchison since. He is a member of Roth Bro's. cornet band. Mr. Held entered the army during the war of the rebellion as a drummer boy in Company B., Eighth Regiment Kansas Infantry, at the early age of eleven years and six months, being undoubtedly the youngest soldier in any Kansas regiment. He enlisted at Fort Leavenworth in November, 1861, and was mustered out in San Antonia, Texas, November 16, 1865. He was present at the battles of Nashville, Tenn., Perryville, Ky., Kenasaw Mountain, Atlanta, Jonesboro', Franklin, and other minor engagements. Mr. Held was born in Chicago, Ill., February 22, 1850, and lived in his native place about one year, when his parents removed to Freeport, Ill., where they lived seven years, and from there removed to Monroe, Wis., where they lived one year. From Wisconsin they removed to Western Missouri, where they lived until 1861, when the family removed to Kansas. In 1872, Mr. H. entered the United States (Regular Army as a member of Company G, Sixth Infantry. He enlisted at St. Louis, November 12 of that year. He served faithfully five years, chiefly in the Yellowstone country, and was discharged at Fort Buford, D. T., November 12, 1877. After his discharge he returned to Atchison, where he has been industriously following his trade from that time to this.
MICHAEL GORDON HELD, miller, was born in Washington County, Wis., April 2, 1856, and lived in his native State until 1879, when he became a resident of Kansas, locating at Ellinwood, Barton County, where he was engaged in working at his trade, and where he resided one and a half years. From Ellinwood he went to San Francisco, Cal., where he was engaged in the milling business, and lived about eighteen months. From California he returned to Kansas, locating in Atchison, where he has since resided, and where he has occupied responsible positions in the large flouring mills of Bowman & Kellogg, and Blair & Auld. He is a member of Palmyra Lodge, No. 68, A. F. & A. M., of Palmyra, Wis., and of Nevada (Mo) Lodge, No. 279, I. O. O. F. Mr. Held is a graduate of the Spencerian Business College of Milwaukee, Wis., class of '71, and in addition to being a thorough master of his trade, is a first-class and accurate bookkeeper. He is a young man of thoroughly practical business habits and integrity, and is well and favorably known for his excellent social qualities.
JACOB B. HELLENER, hardware salesman, came to Kansas in May, 1877, locating at Marysville, where he remained until September of the same year, when he removed to Valley Falls, Kas., living there until he came to Atchison in January, 1878. He immediately obtained employment in the hardware establishment of Blish, Mize & Silliman, and remained with that firm until July, 1881, when he accepted the position which he now fills with the extensive hardware dealer, A. C. Faust. Mr. H. was married at Atchison, February 7, 1882, to Virginia L. Hutchinson, a native of Beverly, Ohio. Mr. Hellener was born at Easton, Pa., February 4, 1857, that was his home for only about four years, when his parents, Frederick and Elizabeth W. (Speck) Hellener, removed with their family to Bethlehem, Pa., where they resided until 1869, at that time locating at Quakerstown , Pa. In 1871 they removed to Chester Springs in the same State, and in 1874 returned to Bethlehem, where the subject of this sketch remained until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the National Temperance Relief Union, and of the Lutheran Church. His father was killed before Petersburg, Va., in 1862, while serving in the Federal army. Mother now resides in Bethlehem, Pa.
GEORGE HENNINGER, merchant, came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, and located in Atchison. Mr. H. is a member of the Schiller Lodge, No. 33, I. O. O. F., and the Atchison Liederkranz. He was born in Weiswell, Baden, Germany, February 23, 1849, and lived there until his ninth year, when his mother - his father being dead - emigrated to America and settled in Buchanan County, Mo., where they lived two years, when they removed to Atchison. Mr. Henninger was married in Atchison, August 18, 1872, to Miss Wilhelmina Yahn, a native of Nassau, Germany. They have three children - Eliza, Mina and Matilda.
JEREMIAH HEPWORTH, firm of Redington & Co., stone yards, has been a resident of Atchison since 1859. Commenced working at his trade, but when the great Rebellion broke out, he enlisted with Company G, of the First Kansas Volunteer Infantry, but was transferred to Company K. After serving his country three years, returned to Atchison and resumed his former employment of stone-cutting, and during the winter of 1869, became a partner with the above firm. They contracted the stone for the State Asylum, and for various other large buildings throughout Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. The subject of this sketch is an Englishman, born in Yorkshire, June 2, 1826. Learned his trade, but only followed it for a short time there and in 1851 emigrated to America. Worked at his trade in various places previous to settling down in this city. His wife was Miss Susanna Key, whom he married at Atchison, October 15, 1865. She came from the same country as himself, but born in Lincolnshire.
R. R. HERD, engineer of the Diamond Mills. Among Kansas' earliest settlers may be mentioned the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Philadelphia, Penn., and was born September 17, 1836. When young removed to Pittsburg, where he learned his trade and resided until 1854, when the family came to Kansas, locating six miles west of Lawrence, where his father, T. R. Herd, kept a tavern and was favorably known at an early day to the travelers on the old California stage route. The subject of this sketch passed all through the early difficulties, which were so noted in Lawrence and vicinity. In 1857 he came to Atchison and took charge of a small saw-mill as engineer, that was erected at the mouth of Clay Creek, and in which capacity he was identified for several years. Mr. Lukens, now of the Diamond Mills was proprietor of a saw-mill on the east side of the river, and for him Mr. Herd was head sawyer for a time. During the rebellion he enlisted, but owing to a mishap about the time he was ready to go in the service, was obliged to remain at home; however, he engineered some on the Missouri River for the Government, when enlisted. He has almost been a constant resident of Atchison since 1857, and is about the first mechanical engineer that located here. He has been in the employ of Mr. Lukens of Lukens & North, for over seventeen years. He married in 1860, Miss Mary E. Backus, of Atchison. They have but one daughter, Allie, now Mrs. Griswold. Mr. H. is a member of the K. of H. and the Ladies K. of H. His father returned from Kansas to the East and died in Pennsylvania a few years ago.
JULIUS HERMAN, cigar manufacturer and wholesale dealer in tobacco and cigars. Atchison has been fortunate in securing men of commendable enterprise and sterling worth for its manufactures and wholesale dealers. It has given the city a reputation and tone that is widespread and increasing. Among those that are deserving of special mention, and have contributed amply in this respect is Mr. Juluis Herman. He became a resident of Atchison in 1870, and for several years was an extensive dealer in dry goods and clothing. In 1878, he embarked in his present line. He carries one of the largest stocks to be found in the northwest, and his trade is in conformity, extending into Nebraska and Colorado, as well as Kansas and Missouri. He makes a specialty of fine brands of cigars and does business strictly on the merits of his goods. Atchison can not secure too many such business men as Mr. H. He is a native of Germany and was born in Bavaria, August 12, 1832, came to the United States when five years of age, with his parents. His father, Lewis Herman, locating at Boonville, Mo., he eventually located 100 miles south of that city, at a point which is known as Herman, and derives its name from that gentleman being its founder. He was engaged in merchandising and favorably known throughout that portion of Missouri for a number of years. The subject of this sketch was also in business in Missouri, and at an early day was largely interested in the Santa Fe trade. In 1865 he engaged in business in Topeka, Kas., continuing until 1870, when he removed to Atchison.
DR. ALVIN HERTLING, veterinary surgeon, is a native of Mercersburg, Prussia, born April 24, 1824. Received his literary education in the High School of that city, and spent three years and a half in the Veterinary College, Berlin, from which he graduated in 1847. During the year following came to the United States, but after practicing here for three years, went back to his native land, where he graduated again from the same college, but in a higher degree. In '57 returned to the States, locating at Davenport, Iowa, and in 1861 entered the U. S. Army as veterinary surgeon of Gen. Sherman's headquarters, serving three years. Then established a Veterinary Hospital at St. Louis, Mo., which he operated till his removal to Atchison. His wife was Miss Bell Prayor, whom he married at Quincy, Ill., in 1868.
WEBSTER W. HETHERINGTON was born in Pottsville, Pa., December 19, 1850, and at an early age came to Kansas with his parents. He was employed for five years in his father's bank, at the end of which time he became a partner, and has been such for the past ten years. Mr. Hetherington was married in Atchison in November, 1875, to Lillie Miller, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children - Ruth, Mary and Webster W. Mr. H. served a term as Alderman of the Second Ward. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F., and of the K. of P.
HENRY HILLER, city policeman. Mr. Hiller came to Kansas in 1856, and located in Leavenworth where he remained about six months, when he went to Ft. Riley, where he was in the employ of the U. S. Government for the next two years; from there he went to Weston, Mo., where he was engaged in the brewing business, and from there came to Atchison, where he has since lived, except while in the army. Mr. H. is a member of the Schiller Lodge, No. 33, I. O. O. F., and has gone through all the chairs from subordinate offices up to N. G. and P. G. He was a private in Company K, First Kansas Volunteers, enlisted May 24, 1861, participated in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out at Ft. Leavenworth, June 16, 1865, at the expiration of his term of enlistment. He was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, March 12, 1835, and lived there until his seventeenth year, when he emigrated to this country. He was married in Atchison, January 20, 1866, to Lena Stotz, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. Two children were the fruits of this marriage - Henry and Julia.
JOHN HILLER, barber and hair dresser, came to Kansas in April, 1880, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived and carried on his business. He is a member of the Lutheran Church and of the Order of United Workmen. He was a member of the U. S. Marine Corps during the late war, and served three years and nine months at sea. He enlisted at Philadelphia, Pa. May 7, 1861, and was mustered out of the service in the same city May 7, 1865. He took part in the sinking and capture of the Confederate sloop Petrel, did blockade duty along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and took part on the U. S. Frigate St. Lawrence in the fight with the Rebel ram Merrimac off Newport News. Mr. Hiller was born in Holzgerlingen, Wurtemburg, Germany, January 23, 1837, and lived in his native country until his fourteenth year, when he emigrated to America and first located in Philadelphia, where he lived until he entered the U. S. Service. After the war he traveled extensively over the United States and subsequently located in Oil City, Pa., where he lived about twelve years, and then came to Kansas. Mr. Hiller was married in Oil City, Pa, December 4, 1871, to Miss Lizzie Welte, a native of Ohio. They have two children, viz. : George and Eddie.
STEPHEN AMBROSE HINKEL, laborer, came to Kansas, April 15, 1879, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of the Lutheran Church and of Roth Bros. Cornet Band. He was born in Uhlersville, Northampton County, Pa., April 4, 1856. He lived in his native place until his fourteenth year when he went to Hellertown, Pa., where he lived for five years, when he went to Fredericksville, Lehigh County, Pa., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. H. was married August 5, 1876, at Hellertown, Pa., to Miss Emma Matilda Roth, a daughter of Joel W. Roth, Esq. She was born in Center Valley, Lehigh County, Pa. They have one child who is named Catherine Elizabeth, born April 23, 1877.