|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FAGAN - GEROS).
JOHN FAGAN, Division Master Mechanic of the A., T. & Santa Fe R. R., was born in Lancaster County, Pa., September 29, 1816. Commenced railroading in 1832, on what is now known as the Penn. Central R. R., where he remained until '38; then removed to Dearborn County, Ind., and in 1852 engaged with the Cin. & Indianapolis R. R. as engineer, during his employment with them, held various responsible situations. In 1869, he left there, moving on a farm in Tippecanoe County, same State, but after operating it for two years, came west to Atchison, and in August of 1871, again entered the railroad service, as engineer for the A., T. & Santa Fe; continued as such a little more than one year, and from that time until the completion of this line to Atchison, had charge of the delivery of material for the construction of the road. Mr. Fagan was then appointed to his present situation, where he has charge of about twenty men, and has general supervision of the Round-House . He is without doubt the oldest railroad man in the State, and during his many years service as such, has always been extremely fortunate, never having met with any accident in his whole railroad career. His wife was Miss Jane A. Ward, to whom he was married in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1840. They have but one son living, W. W. Fagan, Superintendent of the Central Branch of the U. P. R. R.
W. W. FAGAN, Superintendent Central Branch Missouri Pacific R. R., is a native of Indiana. He was born in Dearborn County, September 20, 1840. His railroad life commenced in Indiana in 1854, when he took a position as train boy on what is now known as I., C. & L. R. R. He was with this company for over fifteen years, first firing, then as locomotive engineer. In 1869, he removed to Kansas, to take the position of Assistant Superintendent of the A., T. & S. Fe R. R., with headquarters at Topeka. In 1875, he was appointed General Superintendent of the Kansas Midland R. R., now know as the Kansas City Division of the A., T. & Santa Fe R. R. Retained this position about eighteen months, and was then appointed Superintendent of the Western Division of the H. & St. Joe. R. R., with headquarters at Kansas City. Was appointed to present position January 1, 1879, and moved to Atchison. Mr. Fagan was married in Lawrenceburg, Ind., in July, 1861, to Miss Amanda Simonton. They have one child living, Fannie C.
H. V. FARIES, Master Mechanic Central Branch M. P. R. R., was born in Middletown, Butler Co., Ohio, September 15, 1825. He was educated in his native county, and in 1844, was apprenticed to learn the machinist's trade at Cincinnati, Ohio. Was attached to the locomotive department, and in 1847 helped build engines for the Little Miami R. R. In 1851, became connected with the Madison & Ind. R. R., running engine on the Madison Railroad, Indiana; was then appointed Assistant Master Mechanic, at Indianapolis. In 1856, he moved to Milwaukee, Wis., where he ran an engine a few months on the Mil. & Miss. R. R., then returned to Indiana and entered the service of the I. & C. R. R., running an engine until 1863. In March, 1865, was appointed Master Mechanic on the Eaton & Hamilton R. R., retaining this position until the road sold out. In 1869, Mr. F. moved to Kansas, and was appointed Master Mechanic of Locomotive and Car Department of the A., T. & S. Fe R. R., at Topeka. In June, 1878, was transferred to the superintendency of car building at St. Charles, Mo., and Jeffersonville, Ind. Was appointed to present position in June, 1879. Mr. Faries was married in Louisville, Ky., June, 1848, to Miss Vaughan. She died, leaving two children; one survives, Sallie I., now Mrs. B. A. Fassett, of California. Mr. F. was married to his present wife in Indianapolis, Ind., August 1, 1861. She was Miss Martha E. Boynton, a native of Cornish, Me. They have three children - Florence, Berenice and J. Byron. Mr. F. is a Royal Arch Mason.
C. H. FARWELL, of the Atchison Furniture Company, was born in Stephenson County, Ill., January 10, 1850. In 1859 he came with his parents to Bourbon County, Kansas, and two years later to Atchison. In 1863 he commenced his trade in Atchison. In 1865 engaged in freighting across the plains. He located in Montana about two years, engaged in mill-wrighting, then returned to Atchison, and worked in the furniture factory until it was burnt down. Then formed the firm of Stebbins & Farwell, in bridge building, etc., continuing in this business about three years. In 1874 he visited California with Mr. Stevenson. On his return to Atchison he worked at cabinet-making until the present firm was established. Mr. Farwell was married in Atchison, Kansas, November 5, 1871, to Miss Cora C. Dickson, of that city. They have two children - Claudis J., and Myrtle. Mr. F. is a member of the Uniform Rank, K. of P.
WILLIAM A. FERGUSON, physician and surgeon, son of Dr. Eli Ferguson, of Atchison, who has been a practicing physician for thirty-two years. Was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., March 16, 1856. After attaining an academical education, he read medicine with his father, and in 1880 was a graduate of Jefferson Medical College. He immediately began the practice of his profession at Atchison, and has been City Physician nearly ever since. Dr. Ferguson has acquired considerable skill as a surgeon, and in December, 1881, performed an operation which was truly wonderful, removing a tumor weighing nearly sixty pounds from a girl fifteen years old, from the effects of which the patient has fully recovered. The subject of this sketch is medical examiner for the A. O. U. W. of Atchison, and the National Aid Society at Des Moines, Iowa. He is a member of the State and County Medical Societies, and secretary of the latter institution.
CHARLES McLEAN FINCH, contractor, came to Kansas May 21, 1872, locating at Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. F. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was in the army, as Sergeant of Company E, Third Regiment Michigan Volunteer Infantry. Enlisted May 13, 1861. On the 24th of December, 1863, Sergeant Finch re-enlisted in his regiment, the famous "Old Third Michigan," for three years longer. On the 10th day of June, 1864, his regiment, owing to the severe losses it had suffered during its term of service, was consolidated with the Fifth Regiment, Michigan Volunteer Infantry. Sergeant Finch served with his new regiment as a member of Company E, until his final discharge, at Jeffersonville, Ind., July 4, 1865. He participated in almost all of the battles in which his regiments were engaged, among which were the First Bull Run, Siege of Yorktown, Fair Oaks, Seven Days' Fight, Second Bull Run, Gettysburg, Wilderness (where he was for the third time wounded while in the U. S. service), Siege of Petersburg, and Final Surrender of Lee. In all, he participated in forty-seven battles and engagements. Mr. F. was born in Niagra County, N. Y., July 27, 1839. He remained in his native place until his eighth year, when his parents removed to Doylestown, Wayne County, Ohio, where they lived about one year, when they removed to Jackson County, Mich., where they lived nearly one year, when they moved to Ionia County, of the same State. Mr. F. lived in this county until his removal to Atchison. Mr. Finch has been married twice. His first marriage took place December 25, 1876. His wife's maiden name was Mary F. Scott, a daughter of Mr. John J. Scott, who has resided in Atchison County since 1853. There was no issue by this marriage. His first wife died July 9, 1879. On the 19th day of April, 1882, he was united in marriage to Hettie H. Hammond, a native of Washtenaw County, Michigan.
WILLIAM H. FINKBINE, passenger conductor on the Central Branch of the M. P. R. R., running from Atchison to Leonora, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1847. In his younger days he learned the cooper trade, and for some time carried on an extensive business in that line at Lawrenceburg, Ind. In 1850 began his railroad career, on the Indianapolis, LaFayette & Cincinnati road, working at the construction of the same until it was completed and was then put on as conductor and has served in the capacity nearly all the time since, on various roads. Conductor Finkbine is the oldest, most prominent, and we may safely say, the most successful conductor in the West, and is held in high estimation by all of the most important railroad companies. In the fall of 1859, when the Prince of Wales took his extended tour through the United States, the subject of this sketch had charge of the train that took the Prince and party from St. Louis to Vincennes, General McClellan being superintendent of the road. At the time General Lyons was killed at the battle of Wilson Creek, Mo., his train also took the General's remains and its escorts to his former home. In 1881, he came to Atchison and took his present position. Conductor Finkbine was one of the charter members of the Railway Passenger and Freight Conductors' Mutual Aid and Benefit Association of the United States and Canada, and also of the Railroad Conductors' Life Insurance Association of the United States and Canada, the former organization at Chicago, Ill., the latter at Columbus, Ohio. He also belongs to the Knights Templar in Masonic Society, and is a member of the Knights of Honor. His wife was Miss Mary Woodward, of Lawrenceburg, Ind., whom he married October, 1847. They are the parents of five children, only one of them now living, namely - E. Cora, now Mrs. G. N. Petty, of Kansas City, Mo. During the war, in 1864, a particular friend of Mr. Finkbine's, one James W. Gaft, wished him to start steamboating, and to exemplify the high esteem in which Mr. Finkbine was held as an enterprising business man, Mr. Gaft even went so far as to give him a boat, which he afterward ran until the close of the Rebellion, and continued to run until the spring of 1867, when he lost the Lady Franklin by fire at New Orleans, when he was running her from New Orleans to Jacksonport, on the White River of Arkansas, under the auspices of Dean, Adams & Gaff, cotton merchants of New Orleans. In the spring of 1865, while running the Lady Franklin, and having the steamboat Eclipse in tow, when near Johnsonville, Tenn., the latter boat exploded, setting it on fire, and 150 lives were lost. This is a well known fact, and is recorded in the history of the Rebellion, in connection with the Ninth Indiana Battery. Had over 100 on the Lady Franklin, ice bound at Paducah, Ky., under medical treatment in his care for three weeks before the ice broke up, so he could take them to Evansville (Indiana) Hospital, where they all got well.
EDWARD V. FINUCANE, engineer on the Mo. P. railroad, residence, Kansas City, Genese street between Twelfth and Fourteenth, was born in the County Clare, Ireland, September 10, 1857. Emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1863, and lived in New York City for a time. In 1874 the subject of this sketch began railroading, as brakes-man on a freight train on the K. C. Ft. S. & G. railroad, but after a short time changed to the Missouri Pacific, where he got a situation as fireman between Kansas City and Atchison. On the tenth of January, 1881, Mr. Finucane made his first run as engineer on this same route and has since served in that capacity, and being a young man of ability and enterprise, he is sure to make a success of this, or anything else he may undertake.
FREDERICK C. FISS, merchant, came to Kansas in 1869, locating at Washington, where he remained five years, and was engaged in farming. From Washington Mr. F. came to Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. F. was engaged in clerking for the first five years of his life in Atchison, and in 1879, commenced business for himself. He is a member of Schiller Lodge No. 33, I. O. O. F. Mr. Fiss was born in Germany, April 2, 1853. He remained in his native place until his tenth year, when he came to America and settled in Chatsworth, Livingston County, Ill., where he remained about six years , when he came to Kansas and settled in Washington. He was married May 18, 1869, in Atchison, to Carrie Stephen, a native of Missouri. They have two children - Cora and Bertha.
M. K. FLEMING, general agent B. & M. railroad in Nebraska, and K. C., St. Jo. & C. B. railroad, was born in Dakota County, Ohio, November 21, 1841. He was educated in his native county, and learned the harness maker's trade. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Eleventh Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry on the three month's call. Re-enlisted in Company B, Sixteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry for one year. On being discharged he re-enlisted in Company C, Eighty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteers. The command was captured at Harper's Ferry, Va., and paroled on the field. Mr. Fleming then took a position in the railroad department of the quartermaster at Nashville, Tenn., where he remained until exchanged in January, 1863. He then enlisted in Company L, Seventh Indiana Cavalry and served until the close of the war. He returned to Ohio, learned telegraphing and took a position as station agent on the Indiana Central railroad. In 1867 he removed to Nebraska City, Neb., as agent and operator for the R. & M. railroad, and has since that time been connected with the system of roads in the freight and passenger traffic, at different points. Was appointed to present position February 1, 1882. Mr. Fleming has only lost thirty days time in fifteen years. He was married in Darke County, Ohio, in June, 1861, to Miss Northrup, of that county. They have five children living - Harry H., Addie H., Mary L., Bertha C., James G. Mr. F. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W.
CHARLES V. FLETCHER, conductor of the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific R. R., residence North Fifth street, between Riley and Mound, is a native of Troy, Me., born April 12, 1847. His railroad career extends as far back as 1867 when he began as a brakes-man on the Hannibal and St. Joe R. R. one year, and at the expiration of that time he was promoted to conductor on a freight train. From that time until 1880 he ran both freight and passenger trains to Missouri, then came to Kansas and accepted his present situation as conductor of a passenger train. Mr. Fletcher has had a great many years experience in this line, and that coupled with an untiring business energy has made him one of the most successful railroad employees in the West. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. at Brookfield, Mo., and has attained the degree of Knight Templar. Was married at that place in 1873, to Miss Merriam, formerly of Ohio.
ROBERT FORBRIGER, the vice-president of the German Savings Bank, entered land in Lancaster County township in March, 1857, his claim being the southeast quarter of Section 21, Town 5, Range 19. For about twelve years was employed in farming, and in 1859 located in Atchison and engaged in the liquor business, which he continued until 1865 when he commenced real estate and insurance, which he has continued to the present time. Mr. Forbriger is a native of Saxony, Germany, where he was born September 5, 1825, and from whence he emigrated in June, 1849, spending, after his arrival in America, some time in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Alabama, two years in the latter State at Mobile, and two years in Elgin, Ill. Since his residence in this country, Mr. Forbriger has held various local offices, having been town trustee for four years, and a member of the City Council. He was married in Atchison, In February, 1862, to Helen Geler, of Baden, Germany, their three children being named Robert, Emil and Bertha. Mr. Forbriger is a member of the A., F. & A. M. to the thirty-second degree, of the I. O. O. F., of the Society of Turners, and is secretary of the Atchison Coal Mining Society.
THOMAS D. FRASER, engineer, on the A. & N. Div. of the B. & M. R. R.; residence corner of Second and Atchison streets, was born in Nova Scotia, August 30, 1854. His first experience at railroading was with the B. & M. R. R. at Lincoln, Neb., where he served as fireman one year and eight months. During that time he was fireman on the train that made the fastest time on record in the State of Nebraska. This occurred at the time of the expected penitentiary riot at Lincoln, going from Ashland, Neb., to the former city, a distance of twenty-four miles, in twenty-five minutes. Mr. Fraser has barely escaped with his life in several railroad accidents, the most distressing of which was the running off the bridge of the engine and fourteen loaded freight cars, when one entire carload of life stock was burned. The subject of this sketch is a member of the Locomotive Engineer Brotherhood, No. 164, of Atchison. On the 30th of March, 1882, he was married to Miss Annie C. Mahn, of this city.
ROBINSON FRAZIER, grocery store, corner of Fifth and S streets, was born June 12, 1820, in Ohio County, W. Va. Received a practical education under the old school system, and while in his native State his occupation was that of a farmer. In February, 1858, came to Kansas, and was at first a resident of Leavenworth, where he started a small confectionery stand. He only ran this a short time however, when he engaged as a clerk in a grocery store, and afterward was employed by W. C. Lovenstein in the hide and leather trade. This he continued eight seasons, then moved on to his farm, which he operated successfully till the spring of '81, then came to Atchison. Mr. Frazier was in the Home Guards service at Leavenworth, during the rebellion, being too old for service in the army. He was married in his native State, on May 23, 1843, to Miss Mary E. Milligan. Both are members of the United Presbyterian Church. They have been the parents of nine sons, but only seven are living now: George E., Samuel A., William M. C., Anderson M., Robert C., James H. and John C.
H. FRIEDENBURG, restaurateur. This well known gentleman is a native of Germany, and was born in the Kingdom of Hanover, March 21, 1833; was educated and reared in his native country, coming to America in 1850, locating for a time at Philadelphia; he afterward went to Cincinnati, Ohio, residing in that city seven years, his time being employed as a clerk in a clothing house. He next went to Jeffersonville, Ind., residing two years. On the 18th of March, 1864, he became a resident of Atchison; he embarked in merchantile pursuits, and was prominently identified in commercial circles for eight years, when he engaged in present business. Mr. F. is a social and entertaining gentleman, and there are but few people engaged in the hotel and restaurant business in Kansas who are more favorably acquainted. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Friendship Lodge, No. 5. On the 14th of August, 1858, Miss Clara Hirch became his wife; she is a native of Greece and came to this country with parents when young, locating in Cincinnati, Ohio. Mrs. F. is an estimable lady, whose graces of mind and heart endear her to a large circle of friends. They have had eight children by this union, six of whom are living: Rosa, Lonora, Filsen, Eva, Birda, Abraham and Max; lost two, Matilda and Clara.
CHARLES FULLER, general yard manager for the M. P. R. R. Co.; residence on Park street, between Sixth and Seventh; was born in Huron County, Ohio, July 17, 1847. Began railroading when eighteen years of age, and has followed it constantly ever since, excepting when injuries from accidents confined him to his room. His first experience was as fireman on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, but after one year was given an engine, first as switch in the Elkhart yards and afterwards on the road. From this he was advanced to freight conductor, then to passenger conductor for this company, and one year after the Chicago fire engaged with the North-Western R. R. Co. During the winter of 1872, Mr. Fuller was in a terrible collision that occurred at LeGrand, Iowa, and from injuries received was confined to his bed for seven months. Upon recovery he came to Newton, Kan., where he was engineer until 1875, then entered the employ of the M. K. & T. R. R. as freight conductor, being soon advanced to passenger, and running to Texas. During the early part of 1881, Mr. Fuller got his foot caught in a "frog" at Emporia, and an engine backed over it, which laid him up again for four months. When able to get around again he came to Atchison, in July, 1881, and engaged with the Central Branch of the U. P. R. R., but on the 5th of August of that year, he was caught between an engine and a car, which confined him to his bed until October. As soon as he was able he went on the road again, and in April, 1882, the whole train upon which Mr. Fuller was running, was blown from the track by a cyclone, the way-car being blown 75 feet. The father and mother of the subject of this sketch were in the car with him, and all received serious injuries. When Mr. Fuller recovered from this accident he accepted his present situation, and it seems truly wonderful that he has escaped with his life from so many disasters. He is a member of both the conductors' and engineers' brotherhood, the former of Chicago, the latter of Elkhart, Ind. He also belongs to the Masonic Society and the higher degree of St. Bernard Commandery, Chicago. His wife was Miss Eva Hosley, of Kansas; they were married at Kansas City, Mo., in September, 1877.
JAMES H. GARSIDE was born in Canton, Fulton County, Ill., January 26, 1848. In 1856 he removed with his parents to Nebraska City, where he attended school, and afterwards worked on a farm. In 1864, he moved to Atchison, and worked as clerk in J. E. Wagoner's hardware store one year; with A. S. Parker & Co., as forwarding and delivery clerk two years, and with J. Garside & Co., railroad transfer, forwarding and commission merchants and steamboat agents, successors to that firm, two years as chief clerk and agent of St. Louis and Omaha Packet Line. L. S. Howe retiring from this firm in 1869, James H. Garside was admitted as a partner under the name of J. Garside & Son. In 1872 the firm discontinued business, and he accepted a situation as accountant for Julius Kuhn, wholesale grocer. In 1873, he was with Wm. Heatherington, as assistant book-keeper; in 1874 he was agent for Hamilton & Flint's Railroad Transfer Company, and its successor, J. M. Hamilton & Co. During the year he bought out Hamilton's interest, and the transfer company was run by Garside and Anderson until 1881, when Mr. Garside accepted a situation with the A., T. & S. F. R. R. as clerk, where he is now employed. He was married September 14, 1870, at Canton, Ill., to Mattie H. Preston. They have one child - Willie Preston, two children having died in infancy.
JOSHUA GARSIDE was born in Cheshire, England, December 16, 1821, and married in Stockport, Cheshire, June 9, 1844, to Miss Ann Cox, also a native of Cheshire. in 1847 he immigrated to America, located at Canton, Ill., and remained in that city, engaged in banking until he removed to Nebraska City in 1854, where also he engaged in banking, and remained until 1864. He then removed to Atchison and was bookkeeper for A. & P. Byram, freighters between that city and Colorado, Utah, Montana and Arizona, which business they carried on until 1866, when he succeeded them. This he was quite extensively engaged in, also produce dealing, and doing the Railroad Transfer business with teams; also running the omnibuses and baggage business, building, while in this trade, the warehouse known as the Garside warehouse. His son, James H., was associated with him in the business at that time, the firm representing the St. Louis & Omaha Packet Line. Mr. Garside has been cashier and bookkeeper with William H. Hetherington & Co., in the banking business for a time, and for the last ten years has been general accountant in general office of the Central Branch Union Pacific Railway, being now cashier in the Missouri Pacific Central Branch Railway's freight department. He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been during his residence in Atchison, fifteen years superintendent of the Sabbath-school. He served also for several years as a member of the school board. Mr. and Mrs. Garside have nine children living: Emma, James H., Mary A., Eliza J., Charles A., Florence, Rose, Fannie L., Kittie B.
F. C. GEHRETT, wholesale and retailer dealer in stoves, tinware and tinner's stock. This gentleman established his trade in Atchison, October 1, 1879, in a frame building on the site of the one he now occupies, at a rental of $15 per month. The 1st of August, 1879, he removed six doors west and occupied the store at a rental of $30 per month. February 10, 1880, moved into his present commodious structure, for which he pays $70 per month. His trade has been continually on the increase since his embarkation in business, and in the cornice and tin roofing, of which he makes a specialty, he keeps a large force of men at work. His jobbing trade is not confined to Kansas, but extends into eastern Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado. He has been one of the most successful business men in the city. Mr. Gehrett is a native of Huntington County, Pa., and was born March 4, 1850; is a son of John S. Gehrett, Esq., a well known citizen of that portion of Pennsylvania. F. C. was reared, educated and became familiar with the hardware and tinner's trade in Westmoreland County, Pa., and for five years was engaged in business at Latrobe, in that county, coming from there to Kansas. Mr. Gehrett was married in 1874, to Miss Rebecca Harr, of Allegheny County, Pa. They have five children, Clara A., Annie E., Patti E., Cora B., and Homer Harr. Mr. Gehrett is a member of the A. O. of U. W., and receiver of the Atchison Lodge, No. 4. Agent for Graff & Co. 's Hot-air Furnace.
JACOB GEORGE, SR., member of the firm, George & Durst, live stock dealers, came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, and for three years worked at carpentering in the town of Sumner. On May 13, 1860, he was married to Amelia, daughter of Benjamin Ogden, one of the pioneers of Atchison County, and this same winter moved to Buchanan County, Mo., where he worked for $10 per month and took his pay in cottonwood lumber, for which he had to find his own market. He finally succeeded in trading for one yoke of oxen with which he returned to Atchison County, and commenced farming, his receipts being ten cents per bushel of corn and eight cents for potatoes, for which he took groceries in pay. This being his start in Kansas, Mr. Geogre, in 1861, started freighting across the plain from Atchsion to Denver, Col., with one span of horses, and during his continuance of the same, himself and train had several encounters with the Indians. He received from $4 to $22 per 100 for hauling freight, and in 1867, when he sold his freighting outfit, had accumulated ten four-mule teams and seven ox-wagons, with four yoke to each wagon. The subject of this sketch then purchased 400 acres of land, seven miles southwest of Atchison, on Camp Creek, and embarked in stock raising and buying, and in 1870 removed to the city and started in the live stock business, which he has since operated in addition to his farm. The firm of George & Durst have a large cattle ranch seventy miles southwest of Wichita, Kan., and aside from this have about 200 head grazing in Jackson County. Mr. George is the oldest stock dealer in the county, and is one of the five business men of that place, always taking an active interest in the public welfare of the county. He is one of the educational board of Atchison; was born January 6, 1836, in Westmoreland County, Pa.
M. GERBER, baker, is a native of Germany, and was born in Baden, December 14, 1833; was reared, educated, and learned the baker's trade in his native country. In 1853, he came to the United States, and for a number of years resided temporarily at various points - St. Louis, St. Paul, and other cities, working at his trade. Was pastry cook on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers for a considerable length of time. Eventually, in 1857, he located at Leavenworth, and after a short sojourn went to Weston, Mo., remaining five months. In 1858, he came to the then town of Sumner, Kan., and opened the first bakery in the place. Sumner at that time was considerable of a metropolis for the western country. After two years in active business in Sumner, he came to Atchison, opening up business, October 1, 1860, on Commercial street, between Second and Third, and aside from a couple of years he was sick, he has been continually catering to the wants of Atchinsonites. Since being continually before the people, there is no citizen that is more favorably recognized than M. Gerber. He was married in Sumner, in 1859, to Miss Lena Mehre, a native of Switzerland, and an estimable lady who is also a pioneer of the State of Kansas. They have two children, Annie M. and John G.
FRANK GEROS, engineer on the Mo. Pac. R. R., residence corner of Liberty street and Utah avenue, was born October 13, 1844, in Pike County, Mo. His boyhood was spent on a farm with his parents, during which time he received a practical education. In 1862, he came with them to Leavenworth, Kan., where he began freighting across the plains, in the employ of the Government. Was a member of the Leavenworth Fire Department for over eight years. His first experience with the Mo. Pac. R. R. was as brakesman; then he was fireman for two years, and in 1878, commenced as engineer - first on a switch engine, and then on the roads, and during his five years run in that capacity has been exceedingly fortunate as regards accidents. In 1869, Mr. Geros was married to Emma, daughter of Alex and Flora Tack, who were pioneers of Leavenworth. He is a member of the Locomotive Engineers' Brotherhood, No. 164, of Atchison, and also the Locomotive Fireman's Brotherhood, No. 31.