|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (DAVEY - EVEREST).
E. C. DAVEY, road-master of the Atchison Division of the Missouri Pacific R. R., residence Third street, between Kansas avenue and Atchison street. He was born August 3, 1844, in Montreal, Can., and during his early life learned the painter's trade. This he followed until he began railroading on the Grand Trunk Line as assistant civil engineer, on the preliminary survey between Montreal and Lake Champlain. In 1866, he came to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was employed with the I. C. & L. R. R. Co., until 1870, this being the date of his removal to Kansas; located at Topeka and commenced constructing railroads to the A., T. & Santa Fe R. R. Co., and was afterward appointed roadmaster of the Cottonwood Valley Division, where he remained three years. Was then put in charge of the Colorado Division for another three years, and at the expiration of that time returned to Topeka and commenced the construction of the K. & M. R. R., now the K. C. Div. of A., T. & S. F. and remained on that division as roadmaster until July, 1879. Mr. Davey went to the mountains and laid the railroad track from Trinidad, Col. down into Otaria, New Mexico, after which he returned to Atchison and accepted his present position. Mr. Davey has had a great deal of experience in this line for a number of years and thoroughly understands his business.
WILLIAM EDWARD DAWES, carpenter and builder, came to Kansas, March 28, 1879, located in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of St. Mary's Sodality of St. Mary's Branch, No. 207, Catholic Knights of America, and of the Diocesan Life Insurance Company of Kansas. He has been treasurer of St. Mary's Sodality. Mr. Dawes was born in Newburgh, Orange Co., N. Y., August 15, 1855. He remained in his place of nativity until his nineteenth year when he went to Hastings, Westchester County, N. Y., where he served an apprenticeship of three years to the carpenter's trade, when he left and went to Manhattan Beach, N. Y., where he remained eight months, working at his trade. From there he went to Newburgh, N. Y., where he remained one year and four months, and then came to Atchison, where he has since lived. His parents are both living in Plattskill, Ulster Co., N. Y. His father is a native of England and is a farmer. His mother is a native of the Island of Madeira.
JOHN DAWSON, pattern-maker and locomotive carpenter in the shops of the Central Branch of the M. P. R. R., residence Kansas avenue between Federal and Constitution streets, came to Atchison in 1858 and engaged at house-carpentering. This he followed for a time, then took charge of the contracting and building along the line of the Central Branch of the above road, which he continued a number of years, and has been in the employ of this company since 1867. Mr. Dawson is a native of Lincolnshire, Eng., born December 27, 1828. Learned his trade and also married in his native country, in 1852, to Miss Ann Ellis. His first location in this country was Newark, N. J., in 1854. From there removed to Chicago in 1856, from there to LaSalle County, Ill., and finally to Kansas in 1858, which has since been his home. Mr. Dawson and wife are members of the Episcopal Church, while the former is connected with the American Temperance Union Insurance Society.
HENRY DENTON, was born in Green County, Ind., and when quite young moved, with his parents, to Northern Wisconsin - his home, for many years, being at LaCrosse. He came to Kansas January 1, 1869, and was for several years with G. C. Hixon & Co. His home is still in Atchison, in which city he once served as Alderman of Third Ward. Mr. Denton was married in Victory, Vernon Co., Wos., May 12, 1864, to Alice C. Defrees, who was born in Illinois near Rock Island. They have two children - Daisy L. and Albert D. Mr. D. is a member of K. of H.
H. E. DESMOND, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1873, and located in Grenada, Nemaha Co., and remained there until spring of 1879, and then moved to Lancaster, Atchison Co., where he lived until the spring of 1882, when he removed to the city of Atchison, where he resides at present; is engaged in practicing his profession. Dr. Des Mond was born in Boston, Mass., December 18, 1849, and lived in his native city, where he remained until his eleventh year, when he removed to St. Louis, Mo., where he lived until the year 1869, and then removed to Rockport, Atchison Co., Mo., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Dr. D. graduated in Cincinnati, Ohio, at the Ohio Medical College, in the fall of 1871, and has been practicing his profession continually since, and is well known as a successful physician and surgeon. He was married October 2, 1878, in Atchison County, to Miss Alice M. Streeper, a native of New Jersey.
CAPT. JAMES B. DeWITT, engineer on Engine No. 184, passenger train, on the C. B. of the M. P. R. R., residence Utah avenue between Fourth and Fifth streets. The subject of this sketch was born in Johnstown, Fulton Co., N. Y., August 12, 1841. In early life he learned the trade of glove-making, and in 1861 enlisted with Company C. of the First Volunteer Cavalry, recruited at Albany, N. Y., but was afterwards transferred to the Thirty-second New York Infantry, serving two years. In 1863 he re-enlisted with the Fourth New York Heavy Artillery and served in the same until the close of the Rebellion. He took a prominent part in all the principal engagements of his regiment, and at the battle of the Wilderness was promoted to Captain for the meritorious manner in which he conducted himself through that trying time. Capt. DeWitt began railroading on the C., B. & Q. R. R., as fireman, but in less than one year was put in charge of an engine, and was afterwards engineer on the Hannibal & St. Joe and the Missouri Valley roads. In 1870 he came to Atchison and engaged with the C. B. of the M. P. R. R., where he has been engineer ever since and is now the oldest employee in that capacity on this road, never having met with an accident during his whole railroad career. In 1878, Captain DeWitt made a run with Gen. Grant and party, from Whitmore to Atchison, a distance of forty-eight miles, in forty-seven minutes. At the completion of the Omaha branch of the M. P. road, he drew the first train over the road which was that containing the excursionists from Nebraska and Kansas on the 15th of June, 1882. He belongs to the Masonic Fraternity, and has taken all the degrees from the Blue Lodge to the Knights Templar. Is also a member of the Locomotive Engineer's Brotherhood, No. 164. He married Miss Sarah Bradt on the 25th of February, 1869.
LUTHER DICKERSON, farmer, gardener, and fruit grower, two and a half miles north of Atchison, was born in Washington County, Ohio, in 1825, and lived on the farm until he was fifteen years old, when he went to learn the coach and carriage builder's trade at Marletta, Ohio. Here he remained until 1842, when he went to Missouri, and worked at his trade until 1844, when he went to Oregon Territory, but returned in 1845 to Saline County, Mo., where he remained, working at his trade until 1854, settling on the northeast quarter, Section 19, Township 5, Range 21, being the first settler in that section. In 1858 was elected county commissioner of this county, and in 1859 was a member of the territorial legislature, and introduced and had passed quite a number of important bills, all tending to advance the general prosperity of the territory. In 1861, on the breaking out of the war, was actively engaged in enlisting men for the State militia, and was commissioned Captain of Company B, First Kansas Militia. In 1862 helped raise a company of colored troops, and held a first lieutenant's commission in Company B., Eighty-Ninth Regiment Colored Troops. Was in the battles of Cabin Creek and Honey Creek in the Indian Territory, and was with his regiment in all battles and skirmishes until the fall of 1863, when he was discharged at Fort Smith, Ark., for disabilities received while in service, when he returned to his farm in this county, and has followed that pursuit ever since. He has 310 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation; has 1,500 bearing fruit trees, and ten acres in small fruits. Was married in Saline County, Mo., to Miss Margaret Fizer, and has eight children - D. R., J. B., Mary M., Aurelias and Aurelia (twins), Luther, J. H. C., and Sallie.
MARTIN L. DILGERT, baker, came to Kansas in the fall of the year 1866, and located in Atchison, where he has lived since. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church. Mr. Dilgert was born in St. Joseph, Mo., October 23, 1864, and lived there two years, when his parents moved to Kansas.
DONALD BROS. This great dry goods firm consists of three brothers - Walter F., William T. F., and James F. They are all young men and thorough workers. Having been reared in the business they are to-day as conversant with the details of, and possess the necessary requisites to manage such an extensive business as many older heads, and have shown by every move they have made that shrewdness, wisdom and energy are not lacking. Their progress is little less than wonderful, and is the best possible example of what unflinching work and common sense, coupled with economy and watchfulness, will do. As this establishment is the largest dry goods house in Kansas, and forms a very important factor in the growing industries of the State, and at the same time fast assuming proportions and gaining patronage that will place it at the very head of this line of business in the West, we deem it not at all out of place to give a brief description of the same, and a short sketch of the brothers. Both stores are thoroughly metropolitan in their appointments. The Atchison establishment includes four entire floors with a frontage of fifty feet and depth of 150 feet, supplied with elevators, electric light, and modern heating and ventilating process. Employs thirty salesmen and four cash boys. S. A. Ashmun, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work, is cashier and credit man; audits all accounts, and has general supervision of this branch of the business. Everything is conducted in an orderly, clock-work manner; and, although "strike while the iron is hot," is one of their mottoes, there is no tumult or confusion so often incident to a large business and frequent rush of custom. While it is not our mission or intention to flatter or puff any particular individual or concern, we can unhesitatingly say that, to the spirit, pluck and industry of such men as the Donald Bros., is much of the prosperity of these river towns due. Their parents, James Donald and Susan Ferguson, his wife, are natives of Scotland, the former being born and reared in Glascow; while Mrs. Donald first saw the light of day in historic Sterling, under the eaves, as it were, of the famous castle bearing that name, and in the shadow of the weird walls of the once grand Dumbarton, which the pen of Scoth has forever immortalized. Both parents imparted to their children the best of Scottish traits and teachings for both having received a liberal education, they knew the importance to be attached to it, and the three sons in their boyhood completed an academic course in the eastern schools of this country. Walter F. was born in New York City, September, 1852, and, after finishing school, was immediately placed under the tutorship of his uncle, William T. Ferguson, of the well-known dry goods house of Sheperd, Norwall & Co., of Boston. This uncle, a young man scarcely thirty years of age, was as competent a man in his business as Boston contained; and, although commencing but a few years prior to this as salesman in the linen department at A. T. Stewart's wholesale house in New York, had accumulated a fortune of $100,000 ere he reached the above age. But he had overestimated his physical powers, and the great strain he had undergone mentally, undermined his health, and at an early age he to whom the brothers of whom we write owe much of their success on account of his teachings and example, passed to a better home. After the death of his uncle, Walter F. remained in the Boston house but a few years, then entered the employ of his uncle's friends, Taylor, Kilpatrick & Co., of Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained until his advent at Atchison, as senior member of this firm, and is, perhaps, the most competent dry goods expert in the West. William T. F. was born in November, 1854, at Cohoes, N. Y., and after finishing a preparatory course of study in the High School of the city, completed a thorough mathematical course at Troy, same State. Forty-eight hours had not elapsed after getting his diploma ere he was behind the counter of Cleveland's great dry goods house of Taylor, Kilpatrick & Co. He remained with this firm until 1879, when he came to Atchison. His Cleveland experience was alike both pleasing and profitable to himself and employers, and at the time of leaving for the great West, to drive the stakes for his own store, had attained a high position there, being at the head of the dress goods department, and also buyer for that class of goods. In the firm of Donald Bros. he devotes most of his attention to the wholesale house, and is general business manager. James F. is also a native of Cohoes, N. Y., born in October, 1858. Commenced his education in that city, but most of his school days were passed in Cleveland, Ohio. Prior to coming to the State had been attending Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis. He is a very competent business man, and everything outside of his work has no attraction for him whatever. Although perceptibly Scotch in discipline, and considered by indifferent people as severe in manner, is just and open-handed in all his transactions. He has charge of the Witchita branch of the business, which is fast growing in importance.
JAMES R. DOUGLAS, druggist and pharmaceutist, came to Kansas, October 12, 1871, and located in Leavenworth, where he remained nearly four years, and was engaged with R. J. Brown, druggist. From there he went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he was for two years more in the employ of R. J. Brown. From St. Joseph he went to Omaha, Neb., where he remained about one year and a half and was in the employ of C. F. Goodman, wholesale and retail druggist, as chief prescription clerk, in February, 1879, he came to Atchison, and has resided here since. From his arrival in Atchison to the present time, he has been employed as chief prescriptionist and manager of the retail department in the extensive drug establishment of Messrs. Pike & Fox. Mr. D. is a member of Golden Cross Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and of the Atchison Baptist Church. He was in the United States Navy Services in 1864-65, on Admiral Dahlgren's Flag Ship, "Philadelphia," and was mustered out of service in the year 1865. Mr. Douglas was born in New York City, April 26, 1840, and lived in his native city until his eighth year, when his parents removed to New London, Comm., where he remained twelve years, when he removed to Brooklyn, N. Y., and was engaged in the drug business there, until he came to Kansas. Mr. Douglas engaged in the drug business in New London, Conn., in 1857, and with the exception of the year and a half spent in the United States Navy, has been engaged for a quarter of a century continuously behind the counter of a drug store. He was married in Brooklyn, N. Y., in October 22, 1863, to Miss Jennie Terry, a native of Orange County, N. Y.
JNO. C. DOWD, gravel roofer and mover of buildings, residence on T street between Sixth and Seventh, was originally from New York, born December 21, 1852, in Chautauqua County; after obtaining a practical education, he learned the carpenters' trade with his father and pursued that vocation previous to coming to Kansas. Mr. Dowd came to Atchison December 27, 1880, and worked at his trade until the spring of 1882. Then he purchased the gravel roofing business of one Mr. Sanders, which he has since successfully conducted. He employs from four to ten men, as the time of the season demands. A part of his business being the moving of buildings, also general carpenter work. His work extends through Atchison and the surrounding counties. Mr. D. and wife are members of the Baptist church, and he belongs to the A. O. U. W. Mrs. D. was formerly Miss Ella C. Rockwood of Pennsylvania, whom he married in 1873.
CORNELIUS H. DUFFY, merchant, came to Kansas, February 9, 1870, and located at White Cloud. He is a member of the Irish Catholic Benevolent Society of Atchison, and has been president of this society for two terms, and is at present treasurer thereof. He is also a member of the St. Mary's Branch, No. 207, Catholic Knights of America, of the same city, of which he is the financial secretary. Mr. Duffy was born in Corranghfeghn, County Donegal, Ireland, March 15, 1847. He remained in his native place until his sixteenth year, when he went to Greenock, Scotland, where he lived about four years, and then went to the city of Glascow, where he remained until he emigrated to this country in the fall of 1868, and located in St. Louis, Mo., where he remained two months, and then went to St. Joe, Mo., where he was engaged in his present occupation for about two years, when he went to Forest City, Mo., where he remained about nine months, and from there to White Cloud, Kas., where he remained about one year, and then returned to St. Joe, where he remained until February 9, 1873, when he located in Atchison, where he has since resided and done business. Mr. Duffy was married at St. Benedict's Church in Atchison, July 4, 1875, to Miss Mary Ann Brady, a native of Maryland. They have four children living, whose names are Mary Ann, Cornelius Bernard, Kate and Thomas Joseph.
P. P. DUNKIN, contractor and plasterer, Atchison, Kan., was born in 1836. In 1845, went to Morgan County, Ill. In 1855, went to Virginia, Ill., where he learned the trade of plain and ornamental plasterer. In 1857, commenced taking contracts. In 1863, went to Missouri, where he followed his trade, and in 1865 came to this place, and has plastered many of the largest blocks, among these the Ogden block, Price block, and a large number of the best residences. He employs twenty men in the various capacities of his business, and last year paid out $10,000 for labor alone. Was married in 1859, at Randolph, Mo., to Miss Sarah Palmer. They have six children - Dora I., Squire W., John W., Mary, George and Ollie. In 1869, he was appointed Deputy Marshal of this place and held the office two years. Is a member of the Atchison Lodge, K. of H.
JACOB H. EARLY, gunsmith, a well-known pioneer in the Northwest is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Tennessee, was born in Washington County, February 23, 1816, resided in his native State until 1839, when he went to the Rocky Mountains and remained in the far West for ten years. For three years he was in Mexico, and served eleven months in the Mexican war. For three years he was a resident fifteen miles from where the city of Denver now stands. In 1848, he moved to West Point, Mo., being one of the first settlers in that section. From 1853 to 1860, he was at Maradezene, Franklin Co., Kas., with the Sac and Fox Indians as gunsmith, being employed by the Government. In 1864, he took up his abode in Atchison. There are but few residents of the State that have endured more hardships or have had more narrow escapes in the Western wilds than Mr. Early. He has seen the growth and development of mighty States, and has been closely associated with their progress. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Adkins in 1849. They have one son - Benjamin.
ALONZO B. EASTERDAY, salesman, came to Kansas September 22, 1881, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of the German Reformed Church. He was born in Cherryville, Northampton Co., Pa., November 4, 1857, and lived in his native place until his twenty-first year, when he went to Mulberry, Clinton Co., Ind., where he remained two years, and then returned to Cherryville, where he remained until he came to Kansas.
JAMES L. EGGLESTON, painter, came to Kansas May 3, 1879, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived, and commenced business. Is a member of Washington No. 5, A. F. & A. M., of Atchison; of the Grand Army, Sedgwick Post, or Norwich, Conn.; also of Castaha Lodge, No. 4, I. O. G. T. Mr. E. was in the army as Sergeant of Company B, First Connecticut Cavalry, October 26, 1861, and participated in all engagements of his command, and was mustered out of the service in Middleton, Va., October 26, 1864. Mr. Eggleston was born in Griswold, Conn., July 24, 1843, and lived in his native town about one year, when his parents removed to Mystic, Conn., where he lived until he entered the army. After his discharge he returned to his home, and lived there about one year, and then removed to New London, Conn., where he lived about two years, and then removed to Norwich, Conn., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. Eggleston was married December 25, 1866, to Miss Kate Haven, a native of New London, Conn. They have three children, whose names are, Lizzie B., Mattie S., and James T.
THADDEUA EIGEL, clerk, came to Kansas in January, 1877, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of Atchison Turnverein. He was born in Carlsbrun, Austria, January 10, 1857, where he lived until he came to Kansas. Mr. Eigel was married in Atchison June 13, 1882, to Miss Christiana Grisswelle, a native of Missouri.
HENRY M. ELLIOTT, head bookkeeper for the firm of Quigg & Allen, wholesale grocers, Burnes' Block, South Fourth street, came to Atchison in 1869, a poor man, devoid of money or employment. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to procure work, he obtained the necessary implements and went to sawing wood. During the spring of 1871, he obtained a position with McPike & Allen, druggists, and there he continued until the above firm was established, which was in March of '73. He has been employed with them ever since, and in January, 1879, became traveling salesman for the house, which he followed for two years, and has since been head bookkeeper. Mr. Elliott is the oldest employe of the house, and as an energetic and reliable business man has won the confidence and esteem of the firm with which he is associated. He was born in Lebanan, Marion Co., Ky., June 9, 1854, and married at Atchison in 1874 to Miss Henrietta Segler.
HENRY ELLISTON, now Atchison City Attorney, came to the place in the spring of 1868, and after attending school one year, was employed as clerk until 1874, at which time he commenced his law studies in the office of Judge Berry, and in 1875 was admitted to the bar. He commenced and continued his law business without a partner until April, 1882, when he became associated with Seneca Heath. He was elected City Attorney April, 1881. Mr. Elliston is a native of Ireland, and was reared in Saratoga and Suffolk Counties, N. Y. He was married in Atchison, February, 1880, to Henrietta Kean, a native of Atchison County. They have one child, also named Henrietta. Mr. Elliston is a member of I. O. O. F.
LUMAN ELLWOOD, auction store of general merchandise, first became a resident of Kansas in 1870, locating at Topeka, where he made his home, but traveled throughout the Western States and Territories, handling and importing Oriental goods, sea shells, etc. Following this for some time he finally became manager of a dry goods store for one Mr. Lovejoy. This he pursued until the spring of 1880, when he removed to Atchison and opened his present business in company with B. W. McCoy. This firm continued until March, 1882, when Mr. Ellwood purchased his partner's interest, the business per annum amounting to $50,000. The subject of this sketch was born in Monroe County, N. Y., August 22, 1840. He is a member of A. F. & A. M.
JOSEPH T. ELSON, engineer on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, residence Parallel street between Eleventh and Twelfth, Atchison, was born in Hancock County, Ill., January 1, 1846. When old enough, he learned harnessmaking, which he followed till January, 1873, when he entered the service of the R. I. & Pac. R. R., as wiper in the engine house at Trenton, Mo. This he followed one year; then became fireman for two years, after which he was put in charge of an engine. After running this one year, he came to Atchison, where he has since run as engineer for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Co. In April, 1882, Mr. Elson was the engineer on No. 158 that was blown from the track be a tornado near Waterville, of which a full account is given in another part of this work. The subject of this sketch has attained a considerable skill as an engineer, and his rapid advancement after entering the railroad service shows what ability and perseverance will do. He is a member of Unionville Lodge No. 210, of the A. F. & A. M. of Missouri, and also of the Locomotive Engineers' Brotherhood, No. 164. He married, in 1871, Miss Louisa E. Richards, of Missouri.
DR. WILLIAM H. EVANS, dentist, was born in St. Louis, Mo., January 4, 1857. His parents were John B. and Judith H. Evans. The former of Welch descent, was a practicing lawyer of St. Louis, and the latter born in England, her maiden name Hanson. Mr. Evans received a collegiate course of education in St. Louis, graduating from the Dental College of that place in 1875. He afterwards practiced in that city until he came to Atchison, which was in 1877. Dr. Evans is very skillful in his profession, and during his residence in this city has performed several difficult dental operations, always meeting with decided success.
A. S. EVEREST, came to Kansas in 1871, locating in Atchison in February of that year, opening a law office. He continued the business alone until 1874, when he became a partner of A. G. Otis, and after a dissolution of that partnership, formed another with B. P. Waggener, with whom he is still associated, the members of the firm now being Aaron S. Everest, B. P. Waggener, and Frank Everest. Everest & Waggener are attorneys for Missouri Pacific Railroad, for Pacific Express, and W. U. Tel. Co.; for Hetherington's Exchange Bank, First National Bank, Atchison Savings Bank, and the Atchison Bridge Company, the firm being also connected with the Union Pacific R. R. Co. Col. Everest is a native of Plattsburg, N. Y. In 1856 he emigrated to the Northwest, remained in Wisconsin a few months then located at Austin. Minn., which place was his home until 1871. In 1862, he enlisted in the army, and in the fall of 1863, organized Company C, Second Minnesota Cavalry. After a year and a half of service, he was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel of Volunteers, and served as a staff officer in Missouri in 1865. He has been engaged in the practice of law since 1854, when he was admitted to the bar in New York, his father, Hon. Josiah T. Everest, being a judge and prominent citizen of that State.