|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BYRAM - CROOKHAM).
CLAUDE M. BYRAM, M. D. physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in 1864, and first located in the city of Atchison, where he has ever since resided. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was born in Nebraska City, Neb., April 9, 1861, and lived there until his third year, when his parents removed to the city of Atchison. Dr. Byram attended the State University at Lawrence for one year, and then attended the William Jewell College at Liberty, Mo., for two years. After completing his course at this institution of learning, he commenced reading medicine in the office of Dr. D. J. Holland, the eminent surgeon and physician of Atchison. He remained in this office as a student for two years, and then attended medical lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated in March, 1882, at the age of twenty. Immediately after his graduation he was appointed one of the resident physicians of Blockley Hospital, Philadelphia, by the directors of this institution, he being selected by them with eight other graduates for this important and responsible position from among eighty applicants. Dr. B., however, declined this position in order to become associated in practice with his former preceptor, Dr. Holland. For a young physician, Dr. Bryam has attained a fine and lucrative practice, and is already known as a successful practitioner.
PETER BYRAM, stock dealer and farmer, five miles west of Atchison on Parallel road, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Bath County, August 31, 1824. In 1845 he went to Westport, Mo., where he followed farming until 1853, when he engaged in freighting from Leavenworth to El Paso, Texas, with headquarters at the latter place, and also freighted to Fort Kearney, Neb. from Leavenworth. In 1859 freighted from Nebraska City to Salt Lake City, Utah, and Denver, Col., until 1864, when he came to Atchison and freighted to New Mexico from Atchison and Leavenworth, until 1868, when he bought 1,000 acres of land five miles west of Atchison. This he divided into eighty-acre fields, and has ten miles of hedge, 400 acres tame grass, 1,000 forest trees, and 800 acres under cultivation. Was married in 1859, at Nebraska City, Neb., to Miss Emma Meeker, a daughter of the Rev. Jotham Meeker, the well-known Indian missionary. Mrs. Byram died April 22, 1880, leaving six children - Claude, Nellie, Edward, Theodora, Ruth, Paul, Virgil, and Peter.
ALFRED D. CAIN, of the firm "Cain Bros.," grain dealers, came to Kansas in 1867, from the Isle of Man, his birth place. His father and two brothers, William S. and John M., had emigrated from the same place in the fall of 1856, and coming directly to Kansas, settled in Mount Pleasant Township, Atchison Co., where they resided ten years, engaged in farming. In 1873, Alfred D., and brothers commenced a grain and grocery business in Atchison, but discontinued the grocery branch about 1877. They first bought grain from the farmer's wagons, their business amounting to about $400 per day. It 1881 it had increased to about $2,500 per day. Alfred D. Cain was born on the Isle of Man, May 11, 1845, and was married at the same place in 1868, to Mary A. Molyneux, a native of the Island. They have eight children - Nellie, Emma M., Douglas M., Mona Q., Victor A. and Herbert S.
JOHN WYLCRREEST CAIN, a native of the Isle of Man, emigrated to Kansas with his father, John W. Cain, in 1856. They pre-empted land between Atchison and Sumner, and were prominent Free-state men of the time. They are now residents of Atchison.
JOHN M. CAIN, was born July 30, 1839, on the Isle of Man. In November, 1856, he emigrated to America, proceeding directly to Atchison and locating in Mount Pleasant Township, where he pre-empted land and engaged in farming. About 1872, he removed to Atchison and went into the grain business, in which he is now largely engaged. In September, 1862, Mr. Cain enlisted in Company K of the Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, in which company he served about three months. He then raised Company G, Eighty-third United States Colored Infantry, of which company he was the captain. He was mustered out in Fort Leavenworth, in November or December 1865, having participated in all the battles of his command. His company originally numbered 100, of whom twenty were killed in action, and forty lost through disease and other casualties. In 1868, he served as First Lieutenant of one of the companies of the Eighteenth Kansas Calvary, a regiment raised for frontier service against the Indians. J. M. Cain is now the senior member of the firm of Cain Bros. of Elevator B, Atchison, and does an immense and growing business in grain and flax seed.
CAPT. WILLIAM S. CAIN, proprietor of the West Atchison store, north side of Main street, was born on the Isle of Man, Eng., April 17, 1836. When sixteen years old he went to Australia, remained there until 1854, when he returned to England, and in the year following came to America, locating in Mineral Point, Wis. He remained there only one year, and in 1856 came to Kansas. Took up a claim of 160 acres, seven and one-half miles west of Atchison and commenced improving his land. Capt. Cain took an active part in the great rebellion, volunteering as a private with Company C, of the Eight Kansas Infantry. But shortly after the company was organized he was appointed Sergeant. During the war he was promoted Sergeant-Major at Nashville, Second Lieutenant at Tullahoma, and in August, 1863, to First Lieutenant and adjutant of the Twelfth Regiment, United States Colored Infantry. One year later, he was commissioned Captain of Company C, same regiment, serving as such until the close of the war. Then returned to his farm, and in the fall of 1865, was elected to the Legislature from the Eight District. Capt. Cain moved to the City of Atchison in 1875, and started his present business in 1876. He married his first wife, Ann Cowley, while on leave of absence from the army, in 1864. She died April 26, 1870. His present wife was Susan A. Crouch, whom he married in 1871. They are members of the Episcopal Church.
MICHAEL J. CALLAHAN, clerk, came to Kansas in June, 1879, and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. While in Atchison has been in the grocery business. Mr. Callahan is a member of the A. O. Hibernians, and has been secretary of his division. He was born in Bloomington, Ill., June 8, 1863, and lived there until July, 1877, when he left and came to Burlington, Iowa. In the spring of 1878, he went Denver, Col., and from thence to Atchison.
JAMES MADISON CALVERT, carpenter, came to the Territory of Kansas in 1854, and settled in Salt Creek Valley, Leavenworth Co., where he lived until the fall of 1861. From there he went to Weston, Mo., where he lived until 1871, when he returned to Kansas and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. When Mr. Calvert first located in Kansas, he was engaged in farming at Salt Creek Valley; while living in Missouri, he was in the grocery business. Mr. Calvert was Justice of the Peace in Jackson County, Mo., in 1852-53, was Deputy Clerk of Leavenworth County in 1865. He was elected to the Legislature of the State of Kansas in 1860. He is a member of the Washington Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Atchison. He was born in Mason County, Ky., April 14, 1814, and lived there until his nineteenth year. He located and subsequently married in Jackson County, Mo., in 1850. He went to Sacramento Cal., came back to Missouri, where he remained until 1854. Mr. C. has been twice married, his first wife was Mary Hughes Bagby, a native of Campbell County, Ky., to whom he was united December 20, 1844. By this union he had Lycurgus, Annie, James, Madison, Thomas and Edward Lee. He was married the second time to Marion Herndon Calvert, a native of Kentucky, in January, 1860. By this marriage he has two children Celsus and Charles.
W. W. CAMPBELL, M. D., son of Farquehard and Mary(Buchanan) Campbell, was born in Elgin County, Canada, Nov. 7, 1847. He received his literary and scientific education at the University of Toronto, and on deciding afterwards to enter the medical profession, he studied with an elder brother who was a physician, and then entered the State University of Michigan, graduating from the medical department in 1873. These studies were supplemented by a course at Long Island College Hospital, in Brooklyn, N. Y., from which institution he received an ad eundem degree. In the latter part of 1873 he commenced active practice in Mason, Mich., where he remained four years, and achieved marked success. In the fall of 1877 he immigrated to the West; remained at Falls City, Nebraska, somewhat over a year, and in the early part of 1879, located at Atchison, and entered upon the practice of his profession in association with Dr. D. J. Holland. Dr. Campbell was married September 8, 1878, at Mason, Mich., to Helen G., daughter of George G. Mead, of that city, and a native of Norwalk, Ohio.
A. W. CAREY, came to Atchison, Jan. 1, 1879, and has been a partner with Mr. McNeil since July, 1880, and was formerly with Henry Barker & Co.
WILLIAM CARLISLE is a native of Lower Canada, his birth place being near Montreal. In 1868, he emigrated to Illinois and engaged in milling business in Chicago. In January, 1879, he came to Atchison, and became connected with the lumber firm of Howell, Jewett & Co., as traveling salesman, which position he now holds.
LUTHER C. CHALISS, was born June 26, 18?9 at Imlaystown, N. J. His father was the late Rev. James M. Challiss, a distinguished Baptist clergyman, of whom a memoir was published in 1870. The education of Luther was limited to the common schools of that early day, consequently his success of later years can be attributed to natural ability. At an early age he left the home of his childhood and went to Philadelphia, where he was apprenticed to the mercantile business, and remained until nineteen years of age. Then having a desire to try his fortune in the West, he emigrated to Booneville, Mo., where he entered the mercantile house of Caleb, Jones & Co., as clerk, but after serving one year as such he was taken into partnership. In 1855 he sold his interest with that firm and came to Atchison, Kan., and was among the first settlers of that place. His brother George had preceded him and in 1854 erected the first building and opened the first store at this place. Upon arriving here, Luther purchased his brother's store, and did a large business, a good deal of his trade coming from various Indian tribes. He was also commission merchant for the Mormons and for Major Russell & Co., government freighters. Mr. C. was afterward a banker and a member of the first Free-state Council in 1859-60, exercising a controlling voice in some of the most important measures. He was a member of the first City Council, and proprietor of what is now known as L. C. Challiss' addition to the City of Atchison, now one of the most important parts of the city. In 1857, in connection with his brother William, he established the ferry across the Missouri River, and owned it until the erection of the bridge in 1875. Among the many acts which gave Mr. Challiss prominence in the State Legislature, while he was a member of the Senate, was the plan which he projected and completed for the building of the Central Branch of the M. P. R. R. Indeed it is conceded that he is the father of this great enterprise. He framed the bill to authorize its construction, and secured its passage, and negotiated the famous treaty with the Kickapoo Indians for their reservation to aid in the construction of the road. He was elected president of the same, which position he retained several years. He was also an incorporator and director of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the most important railroad in the State, and was from the start among the foremost in shaping the railroad system of the State, especially, the roads which center at Atchison. In the exercise of his political power in the State, Mr. C. became intimate with United States Senator Pomeroy, and was mainly instrumental in electing the gentleman to the Senate. In 1862 Mr. Challiss began to divide his time between Atchison and New York City, and during the gold excitement incident to the war, he was intimately associated with A. G. Jerome and Anthony Morse in their numerous operations, and with them was accounted one of the heaviest dealers in the stock and gold market. His success was such that he ranked among the most opulent of that great city and was among the foremost in enterprise and financial ability. Mr. Challiss is now leading a quiet life in Atchison in the management of his estate.
GEORGE T. CHALLISS, one of the pioneers of Atchison, settled in the town, August, 1854, and built "on the Levee" the first storehouse on the town site. He engaged in general merchandising, remaining alone in the business until the spring of 1856, when he formed a partnership with his brother Luther, with whom he associated until the spring of 1857, at which time he sold his interest to Luther and was out of business one year. In the spring of 1858, he built another storehouse, and again commenced and continued business alone until 1860, when he sold out and engaged in dry goods trade with S. P. Walters, under the firm name of S. P. Walters & Co., this partnership continuing until Mr. Challiss sold out his interest to Mr. Walters in the summer of 1864. In 1866 he was engaged in freighting to Salt Lake City, and in the fall of 1867, commenced a wholesale and retail trade in groceries in partnership with his brother, Dr. C. Challis, - firm of Challiss Bros., which has been the firm name since that time, excepting two years when they had a partner. Challiss Bros. discontinued the retail department in 1870, since that time doing exclusively a jobbing business, which now amounts to about $500,000 per annum and gives employment to nine men - three of whom are traveling salesmen. Their sales are principally in Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado. Mr. Challiss was born in Imlaystown, Monmouth Co., N. J. His parents moved to Burlington, N. J., when he was quite young, and that place remained his home until 1851. He then came to the West, living in Booneville, Mo., three years until he located in Atchison.
R. G. CHENEY, mechanical engineer, is a native of Vermont, was born in Waterford May 3, 1850, was raised and educated in his native city, and for several years was in the employ of Fairbank's Scale Co., in St. Johnsbury. In 1872 he came West and entered the employ of the H. & St. J. R. R. Co., with which company he remained several years. He was with the company in extending the branch from St. Joe to Winthrop. In 1878 he came on the A., T. & S. F. R. R., and after three years engaged as engineer on the road, took charge of the elevator in Atchison for the Santa Fe Co. Mr. C. is one of the most thorough and accomplished mechanics and engineers in the State, and stands at the head of the craft. In 1871, he was married to Miss Mary Harriman of St. Johnsbury, Vt. They have three children, Cora J., Charles R., Leota M. Mr. Cheney is a Master Mason.
A. M. CHRISTIE, foreman painting M. P. shops, was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, May 23, 1830. Received his education in Scotland. In 1853, he came to the United States, and settled at Cleveland, Ohio, where he took a position in the office of C. C. & C. R. R., remaining a number of years. he also while in this city ran a paint shop for a time. In 1863, he removed to Kansas, located in Leavenworth, and engaged in sign writing and house painting, remaining a few months; then removed to Atchison, and engaged in same business. Mr. C. painted the first locomotive and car on the Central Branch R. R. He was appointed to present position July, 1881. Mr. C. was married in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1859, to Miss Johnson, of Cleveland. They have four children - Alexander, Henry, Nettie, Annie. Mr. C. is a member of the A. O. of U. W.
A. D. CLARK, foreman wood-work department M. P. Shops, was born in LaSalle, Ill., February 16, 1840. Was educated in LaSalle and Chicago; then learned the millwright trade, which he followed until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted, in 1862, in Company C, One Hundred and Fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteers; was discharged on account of disability caused by a wound received at the battle of Chickamauga. Re-enlisted in 1864, in the United States Marine Service, and served until the close of the war. He returned to Illinois, then removed to Iowa, where he engaged in carpentering about two years, then returned to Illinois. In December, 1871, he settled in Kansas in the position of station agent on the Central Branch at Vermillion, Marshall County, a position he retained about four years; then removed to Atchison and engaged in the wood-working department of M. P. R. R. Was appointed to present position in October, 1880. Mr. C. was married in Fort Dodge, Iowa, July 3, 1865, to Miss Mary Conlee, of that city. They have six children - Leslie W., Annabelle, Norval, Harry, Roy, Frank.
CHARLES W. CLARK, head bookkeeper for the firm of Howell, Jewett & Co., wholesale lumber dealers, was born in New York City, where he graduated from Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College, in 1869. Was afterwards employed in a diamond and jewelry wholesale house. Came with his parents to Kansas, in 1870, locating at Eldorado, where his father followed farming for some time, but is now a merchant in that place. For three years the subject of this sketch was money-order clerk at Witchita, this State, and in 1879 came to Atchison, and was engaged by the above firm as head bookkeeper. This is a position of trust, requiring business capacity and competence, and Mr. Clark is well calculated to fill it satisfactorily in every respect. He is a member of K. of P., Golden Cross Lodge, No. 7. He married at Eldorado, Kan., October, 1879, Miss Clara Jones, of that place.
RICHARD F. CLARK came to Kansas in 1872, as the agent of the Hannibal & St. Joseph R. R. Co., representing the Vice-President of the road, with which he was connected for seven years. He was afterward engaged in the grain business, and has been for one year with J. P. Pomeroy. Mr. Clark is a native of Hudson, N. Y., where he was born September 29, 1813, and lived there until his removal to Kansas.
H. AYLMER COATES came to Kansas in the summer of 1871, and was employed as government surveyor for about two years, principally on the Republican and Solomon rivers, during the time writing up the notes for fifty-seven townships in Decatur, Rawlins and Cheyenne Counties, and riding over seventy miles of the territory which he surveyed. In 1872, he located at Atchison, being absent on surveying expeditions five or six months in each year, until 1875, when he commenced abstract business, coming into possession of his present set of complete abstracts in 1876. He conducted the business alone until 1879, when Mr. Manley became his partner, with whom he is still associated in real estate and loan business. Mr. Coates is a native of England, where he received a thorough military cadet's education, and was in the service of Her Majesty for eight years prior to emigrating. He came directly from his native country to Kansas, his education fitting him especially for engineering and surveying.
JOHN COMPTON, foreman Atchison Fire Department, came to Kansas in the spring of the year 1874, and located in Atchison, where he has lived since. In 1875, he commenced his apprenticeship at the Atchison Foundry as a boiler- maker; served his time, and worked at his trade up to the year 1879, when he became a member of the Atchison Fire Department, to which he belongs at the present time, and of which he has been foreman since April, 1881. Mr. Compton was born in Lyndyn, Scotland, July 21, 1859, and remained in his native place until his thirteenth year, when he emigrated to America, and located at White Cloud, Kan., where he remained two years, when he came to Atchison, where he has lived since. He was married in Atchison, October 14, 1881, to Emma Backus, a native of the State of New York.
HUGH CONNAUGHTON, 1416 Main street, corner Liberty. This gentleman is engaged in a business which has its origin in 1875, and came into his possession in 1878. He carries a full and complete line of family groceries, making only one specialty, that of keeping everything in the grocery line, and selling at the lowest possible price. In consequence of this enterprising and honorable policy, he enjoys a lucrative trade, keeping one team busy in making deliveries. Four years of such business has only served to make him more popular, and each year his business foots up handsomer totals. The name Hugh Connaughton almost anywhere in Wisconsin would indicate his former place of residence, as few men were more closely allied to any particular place than was he for eighteen years to Mineral Point, Wis., where during that time he served constantly in the capacity of sheriff, deputy sheriff, or city marshall, always conducting himself as a brave, honest officer of the commonwealth. Mr. Connaughton's friends in Mineral Point will be glad to know that their old townsman is doing so well. Mr. Connaughton belonged to the secret service of the United States under J. G. Shattock, of Dubuque, Iowa, for a term of ten years, while also holding the office of sheriff, deputy sheriff, etc. Mr. Connaughton is a native of Ireland, born March 18, 1830; but in 1854, came to America, his destination being Mineral Point, Wis. Here he lived until March 16, 1879, then came to Atchison, and established the above business; has the oldest stand in West Atchison. Mr. Connaughton was married at Mineral Point, Wis., February 19, 1859, to Margaret Grant, daughter of John Grant and Mary Butler, who settled in that city as early as 1834. Both are members of the Catholic Church, Atchison.
ASA B. CONSER, proprietor of the "Old Reliable Steam Laundry" came to Atchison in 1877, working a tailoring till July 1, 1879, when he opened a laundry, which was the first in the city. He has all of the late improvements now in use in steam laundries, employing eight men, and in '81 invented the Conser patent hand iron. The subject of this sketch is a Pennsylvanian, born in Clinton County, December 5, 1846, and when old enough learned the tailor's trade, at which he worked previous to starting in his present business. He married in 1871 at Lock Haven, Pa., Miss Sarah Weltmer, born in Harrisburg, same State.
JOHN E. CONSIDINE, merchant, the first male child born on the town site of Valley Falls, Kan., which event took place September 4, 1857; came to Atchison in the spring of the year 1866, where he has since lived and carried on business. Mr. Considine is a member of the A. O. Hibernians, Division No. 1, of Atchison, of which association he is County Delegate and State Treasurer. Mr. C. is an active and successful business man, and has a bright career of usefulness before him. His mother is still living in the city of Atchison.
DR. JOEL S. COOPER, senior member of the firm of Cooper & Foristall, homoeopathic physicians, was formerly from Indiana, born in Putnam County, November 30, 1836; received his literary education in the high schools of the State, and in 1866 was a graduate from Miami Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, as an old school physician. During the Rebellion he was appointed by Gov. Morton, of Indiana, Surgeon of the One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Regiment, and was in Government service for three years. After the war he practiced his profession at Greencastle, Ind., until 1869, then came to Missouri and continued the same at Brookfield for six years, and during that time graduated, in 1874, from the St. Louis Medical College, as a new school physician; then returned to Indiana, where he lived until his removal to Atchison, in 1879. He is next to the oldest resident homoeopathic physician in the city. Dr. Cooper's wife was formerly Miss Katie I. Davis, of St. Jo., Mo., whom he married July 7, 1879. He is a member of the State Homoeopathic Medical Society of Kansas.
THOMAS CRICK, now a resident of Atchison, Kansas, is a native of England. He was born at Towcester, Northamptonshire, in 1834. He is a descendant of the ancient family of Crick Village, near Rugby; the trains pass through Crick's tunnel, two and one-half miles long, on the main line from London to Liverpool. He left school at fourteen years of age and his father apprenticed him to the grocery business at Willingboro, Northampton, for five years, paying a premium of $250. 00 in gold. After serving his apprenticeship , he went to London, where he engaged with the firm of North & Company. They had three stores in London. After living two years in the city he commenced business at Coventry, England, and was married at St. John's church of that city, to Miss Spencer, of Addington Lodge, Northamptonshire, in the year 1858. She was born at that farm in 1838. They had conceived the idea of coming to America for some years previous to that, and finally made up their mind to start in the year 1864. They landed at Castle Garden after encountering a rough passage of fourteen days. Cleveland, Ohio, was their destination and they lived there fifteen years, then moved to Kansas. Six children have been born to them, three of whom only are now living; Thomas S., Barnett I. and John P. Georgie and Eddie died at Cleveland in childhood; their daughter Lizzie, fifteen years of age, died in Atchison three weeks after their arrival. They took her back to Cleveland for burial, to be laid by her dear brothers at Woodland Cemetery.
CROOKHAM & NEAL, contractors and builders, and undertakers; business established in 1858, by Wise & Crookham, they having the first undertaker's department in town. Mr. Neal entered the firm; it was then Wise, Crookham & Neal, until the former's death, in 1873; since that time it has been Crookham & Neal. The firm have put up some of the largest buildings in town, among which we may enumerate the Central School, Court House, Academy, residences of F. W. Dolan and John M. Price. They employ from fifteen to twenty men, and carry in the undertaking department a full line of caskets, etc., the stock amounting to some $2,000 to $3,000.
W. H. CROOKHAM, of Crookham & Neal, was born in Allegheny County, Pa. November 20, 1818. He was educated in his native county, and learned the carpentering trade which he followed there until 1846, when he moved to Pittsburg, Pa., and engaged in contracting and building until 1850; then returned to Brownsville. In 1853, he went to Clifornia, where he remained, engaged in mining, until 1857. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and in 1858 settled in Atchison, Kan., and organized present business. He was married in Fayette County, Pa., December 8, 1846, to Miss Mary C. Auld, of that county. Mrs. Crookham died in Atchison, leaving four children, of whom there survives Lizzie, now Mrs. I. A. Frazer, Ettie, now Mrs. W. Taggart.