|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BEAN - BURKHART).
M. M. BEAN, superintendent of the county poor farm, was born in Clark county, Ky., in 1828. In 1833 his parents moved to Indiana, and shortly afterwards to Scott County, Ill., where he remained until 1849, when he went to Hancock County, Ill., and followed farming until 1851, when he went to Jackson County, Mo., and farmed until 1857, when he located in Atchison County, Kan., on Section 28, Town 6, Range 20, Mount Pleasant Township and commenced to improve his claim. In 1860 and 1861 followed freighting to Denver. In the fall of 1862 enlisted in Company F, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and took part in the battles of Cain Hill, Prairie Grove and Van Buren, and all the engagements of his regiment. Was discharged at Little Rock, Ark., in June, 1865, when he returned to his farm in this county, where he remained until March, 1882, when he took charge of the poor farm as superintendent. Was married January 8, 1849, in Scott County, Ill., to Miss Rebecca A. Northcut, and has seven children, viz: John H., William H., Paul, Ida and Minnie (twins), Alvin and Barbara E. Is a member of Echo Lodge, No. 103, I. O. O. F., of Mount Pleasant, Kan.
ALBERT BEAUCHAMP, shipping clerk, was born in Doniphan County, Kan., September 15, 1856, and has resided in the State ever since. He is a member of the N. T. R. Union, and has been secretary of this association. Mr. B. came to Atchison in March, 1878, and immediately secured a position as clerk in the large wholesale grocery house of A. B. Symms, with whom he remained three years. Since then to the present time, he has held the position of shipping clerk in the large furniture manufacturing establishment of Kelsey & Simpson. Mr. Beauchamp was married in Atchison, June 6, 1882, to Miss Nellie I. Edgerton, a native of Atchison County.
JOHN ALFRED BECK, railroad employee M. P. R. R., came to Kansas in September, 1871, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of the Burksville Benevolent Society and of the Baptist Church. Mr. B. was born in Marrowbone, Cumberland Co., Ky., July 18, 1861, and resided at his birthplace until he came to Kansas. Mr. Beck was married in Cumberland Co., Ky., December 26, 1978, to Mary Robney, a native of Kentucky.
PETER BECKER, wine manufacturer, is a native of Germany, and was born in Prussia, September 18, 1842. When six years of age came to America with his parents, locating in Ohio. Peter spent his youthful days and was raised to manhood in the Buckeye State. In 1864, he tendered his services to the Union cause, enlisting in Company D, One Hundred and Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participating in a number of stirring skirmishes toward the wind-up of the rebellion. Was taken prisoner September 24, 1864, and retained by the Confederates until March, 1865, when he was paroled. Was honorably discharged at the close of the war. Returning to Ohio, he engaged in business, and in 1869 came to Atchison, engaging in the liquor trade, in which line he has since been identified. Mr. Becker has a fine vineyard in a high state of cultivation, and in the growing of grapes and in the manufacture of wine does a large business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Friendship Lodge. He married, in 1867, Miss Louisa Gribling. By this union they have eight children living - William, Ametta, Lizzie, Dora, Emma, Carrie, Gusta, Ida. Lost one Mary.
J. H. BEESON, railroad contractor, and owner and proprietor of the Atchison Street Railway, one of the most prominent and representative citizens of Atchison, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Hopkins County, August 13, 1844. At an early age he removed to Chattanooga, Tenn. When thirteen years of age he embarked on the Mississippi river for the purpose of becoming an engineer. Becoming proficient in his adopted profession, he acted in that capacity for a number of years in the employ of the Davis Packet Company, plying between Nashville, Memphis and St. Louis. He eventually drifted West, in order to find a locality where he could find a wider scope for his abilities as a manager and a speculator. When the Union Pacific Railroad was in course of construction Mr. Beeson ranked among the leading contractors along the route, and built a number of miles of that well-known road; also of the Central Branch of the same line he also constructed upwards of 200 miles. Of other railroads that Mr. B. has been interested in developing, are the Missouri Pacific, the C., B. & Q. in Iowa, and the B. & M. in Nebraska, the Ft. Scott & Gulf, the International & Great Northern, and others in the West and Southwest. He is also largely interested in the railroad enterprises in Illinois, his headquarters in that State being Edwardsville. In 1881, Mr. Beeson came to Atchison, and inaugurated a system of street railways. It was an undertaking of considerable magnitude, and an enterprise that few capitalists would undertake. He individually built the railways and equipped them in first-class style; and to Mr. B., Atchison is indebted for as superior a system of street railways as is to be found in the Northwest. It was opened to the public July 3, 1881. In 1882, Mr. B., in connection with his other enterprises, embarked in the wholesale boot and shoe trade, purchasing Famous Boot and Shoe House, the largest in Atchison. His trade in this branch extends throughout Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado. He is a man of excellent judgement, a good financier, and very successful in all his undertakings. He is a gentleman possessing commendable traits, and popular in social and commercial circles. He was married June 15, 1854, to Miss C. M. Hard, of New York State. They have two sons, L. W. and J. W., who are large real estate owners and stockmen of Mitchell Co., Kan. Mr. B. is a member of the K. of P. Golden Cross Lodge of Atchison.
ANDREW BELINDER, bookkeeper and surveyor, came to Kansas, July 4, 1878, and located in Concordia, where he lived about two years. During this time he was engaged for about three months on the plains in Kansas, in hunting buffalo. From Concordia he came to Atchison, where he has since lived. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. He was born July 8, 1855, in Orebro, Nerkey, Sweden, and remained in his native town until his 17th year, when he went to Arboga, Sweden, and entered the university, where he remained two and one-half years. From there he went to Stockholm, where he remained until he emigrated to America in 1878. His father is still living in Orebro, Sweden.
JOHN S. BELL, clerk, came to Kansas in the fall of the year 1860, and located in Atchison where he has lived since. Mr. Bell was in the army as a member of Company H, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and was enlisted at Leavenworth, in October, 1861, and mustered out October, 1862. He participated in all of the engagements of his command. Mr. Bell was born in Branton, Cumberland Co., Eng., October 26, 1838, and lived in his native place until he reached the age of three years, when his parents came to America, settling first in New York City, where they remained only two years, and then removed to West Farms, Westchester Co., N. Y., where they lived ten years. From here they removed to Whitehall, Washington Co., N. Y., where they lived but a short time, and from there to Amsterdam, Montgomery Co., N. Y., where they lived until 1861, when they removed to Atchison. During this time Mr. Bell was employed, except while in the army, in farming. While in Atchison, Mr. Bell was connected with the wholesale lumber firm of Gillespie & Co., in whose employ he was engaged for about six years. He was afterwards engaged for about the same length of time with the large wholesale and retail grocery house of John Perkins, of Atchison. He was married in Atchison, in March, 1871, to Miss Annie Trussell, a native of Canada. They have three children living, whose names are Carrie, Gracie and George.
JOHN BELZ, cashier of the German Savings Bank, and connected with it since 1873, came to Atchison, June, 1857, and started business as contractor and carpenter, which he continued until 1860. He then opened a grocery store which he kept until 1873, when he became connected with the bank. He was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, August 15, 1833. In December, 1853, he came to America, locating in New York and Iowa prior to coming to Kansas. In 1859, he was married at Atchison, to Sophia D. Binde, a native of Prussia. Their two children are named Emma and Ida. Mr. Bels (sic) is a member of A. F. & A. M. and of I. O. O. F.
JOHN BEMER, manufacturer of and dealer in boots and shoes, came to Kansas February 26, 1859, and located in Atchison, where he has resided since. He is a member of the N. T. R. Union of St. Joe, Mo., and has been a member of the City Council and School Board of Atchison. Mr. Beemer (sic) was born in the Province of Nassau, Germany, December 8, 1818, where he lived until his fourteenth year, when he traveled through the various States of Germany, until the year 1846, when he emigrated to this country and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he lived for ten years, and was engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes. From St. Louis, he moved to Weston, Mo., where he resided until he came to Atchison. Mr. Beemer was married in Atchison, March 13, 1873, to Mrs. Mary A. Fortune, a native of Maryland.
GEORGE C. BENEDICT, engineer on the Mo. Pac. Ry., residence West Main street, has been engaged in railroading since 1843, first employment being with construction forces on the Mich. Cent. R. R., and in 1847 became an engineer on the same road. Learned machinist's trade at La Porte, Ind. Was employed on construction force of the Mich. South R. y., during the extension of the line from Hillsdale to Chicago. Was engineer on same railroad. In 1854, accepted position of foreman in shops of the C. & A. R. R., at Bloomington, Ill.; was also in the employ of the Mo. Pac. Ry. in 1855. Afterward accepted position of foreman in C. B. & Q. R. R. shops at Quincy, Ill.; also ran an engine on same road. From 1857 to 1859, was employed as engineer on the O. & M. R. R. From 1859 to 1865, was foreman in H. & St. J. R. R. shops at Hannibal, Mo. Since 1865, has been in service of the C. B. U. P. R. R., or what is know known as the Cen. Branch of the Mo. Pac. Ry., in various positions of engineer roadmaster, superintendent of bridges and master mechanic, and at present is employed on construction force of the Nebraska Extension of the Mo. Pac. Ry. Was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., December 27, 1827. Was volunteer in Company C., of the Thirty-eighth Missouri Infantry, engaged in detached service. Is a member of the Masonic order, in St. John Lodge, No. 28, Hannibal, Mo. His wife's maiden name was Eliza A. Perkins, of Lenawee County, Mich. They were married June 7, 1854.
CHARLES W. BENNING, contractor and builder, came to Kansas, January 16, 1863, and located in Atchison where he has resided since. He is a member of the City Council of Atchison, and was City Marshall of the same city, in 1877-8. He is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 6, I. O. O. F., and Golden Cross Lodge, No. 7, Knights of Pythias. Mr. Benning was born in Clyde, Wayne County., N. Y., May 12, 1851, and resided there until his 12th year, when his parents removed to Atchison where they reside at present. Mr. Benning has but few equals and no superiors in his business calling, and as a politician he is one of the most popular in the city of Atchison. He was strongly urged to become a candidate for the office of Sheriff of Atchison County, at the last general election, but with his usual modesty declined, preferring to give his personal attention to his rapidly increasing business. He has a bright future before him, and will yet be heard of in the political arena.
T. A. H. BERKEY, foreman of locomotive and car department, A. & N. Dicision, B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska. Mr. Berkey was born in Monticello, White Co., Ind., August 4, 1846. Educated at Monticello and at Ashbury University, Crawfordsville, Ind. In 1862, he enlisted in Company G (Capt. John Holloway), Sixty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Was attached to the Twenty-third Army Corps, under Gen. Schofield. Was with Sherman up to Atlanta, then returned to Nashville to take part in that campaign. Was mustered out in 1865, and returned to Indiana. In 1867, he moved to Grand Rapids, Mich., where he learned the carpentering and undertaking trade, and remained there until 1869, when he settled in Atchison and engaged with Crookham & Neal. In 1875, he took the position of master car-builder, with the A. & N. R. R. Appointed to present position December, 1880. Mr. Berkey was married in Holden, Mo., May 22, 1873, to Miss Ann E. Smith, of Alexander, Ohio. They have three children, Maud L., Frank E., Charles T. Mr. Berkey is a member of the subordinate lodge and encampment, I. O. O. F. Passed all chairs in both.
JOSEPH H. BERLIN, grocery and provision store, corner Fourth and Park streets, was born in Northampton County, Pa., December 17, 1839, and since he was fifteen years old was employed in merchandise trade in his native State until 1879; then came to Atchison, and in the spring of the following year, opened the above store with a cash capital of $275 - stock was $500, balance on credit. His first year's sales amounted to $12,000, and the past year increased to $22,000, with an increase of capital to $2,400. He employes a clerk and deliverer, and keeps a first-class grocery store. He has a property in Pennsylvania worth net $1,100, and one in East Atchison worth $600. Mr. Berlin married Miss Sarah A. King, of Pennsylvania, March 19, 1859. He and his wife are original members of the English Lutheran Church, of which society he is elder, secretary and treasurer. He is also a member of K. of H.
HERSCHEL BERRY, bookkeeper and inside salesman for the firm of Nave & McCord Merchantile Co., wholesale grocers, was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., August 30, 1856. His education was acquired in his native State, and in 1870 he came West and settled on a farm in Atchison County. In the fall of 1869, the subject of this sketch came to Atchison and engaged with the above firm as porter, then as shipping clerk, and finally as bookkeeper. Mr. Berry is a young man of ability and enterprise, as will be seen in his steady advancement with the above firm, and during the long continuance with them has won the confidence and respect of his employers.
FRANK BIER located in Atchison in March, 1858. He was engaged in the furniture business until 1860, when he was elected County Treasurer and served in that position two years. He then became Cashier of the Bank of the State of Kansas, and in 1864 entered into partnership with Mr. Brown, with whom he still remains. They do a general contracting business.
EDMUND BILLMEK, proprietor of Washington House, Atchison, came to Kansas, September 19, 1865, and located in Atchison, where he lives at present. When Mr. B. first located in Atchison, he was barkeeper for Henry Lipps for a short time, and then started in business for himself. He followed various occupations until 1867, when he went to Central City, Colorado, where he remained until 1868. In May of the same year, he went to Doniphan, where he kept a saloon, in which business he continued until 1874, when he went into the business of grape growing and manufacturing native wines. He continued in this business until 1878, when he opened a grocery and drug store in Doniphan, and afterwards embarked in the general merchandise business, in which he continued until February, 1882, when he again went to Colorado, from whence he returned in May of the same year and removed to Atchison. On the 4th day of June, 1882, he took charge of the Washington House. Mr. Bilimek was born in Fredeck, Austria, November 16, 1837, and was a musician and followed various occupations until he came to America in June, 1863. He located in New York City, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1860, in Vienna, Austria, to Theresa Yordin, a native of Vienna. They have five children living, whose names are as follows: Hugo, Frederic, Joseph, Annie, Edmund. Mr. B. is a member of Arcana Lodge, No. 31, A. F. & A. M. of Doniphan.
J. W. BLACKBURN, general foreman of the car department, M. P. R. R. shops. Was born in Bedford County, Pa., August 26, 1848. He lost his father when young and was raised by an uncle. At the age of fifteen years he commenced to take care of himself and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1869 he moved to Kansas and located in Lawrence. Afterward engaged in carpentering at Kansas City, then worked in the bridge and building department of the Ft. S. & G. R. R. Was then on the construction of the M. K. & T. R. R.; also same year in the A., T. & S. F. R. R. construction department. Then moved to Atchison and was in the A. & N. shops a few months when appointed to present position in February, 1879. He was married in Hutchinson, Reno County, Kan., August, 1873, to Miss Eva Stacey, of Hutchinson. They have two children, George and Amy.
WILLIAM BLAIR, sheriff of Atchison County for two successive terms, came to Kansas in the fall of 1863, and located in Atchison County, where he has since resided. Sheriff Blair was born in Brownsville, Fayette Co., Pa., May 18, 1833, and lived there until the spring of 1856, when he removed to Fulton County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming. He lived in Fulton County until he removed to Kansas. Mr. Blair was married May 14, 1857, in Vermont, Fulton County, Ill., to Miss Alcinda McCormick, a native of Brownsville, Fayette Co., Pa. They have three children living, whose names are: Albert H., William B., and Daisy.
J. L. BLISS, dealer in jewelry, silverware, watches, diamonds, etc. Represents the "Domestic" sewing machine business, established in 1866 by Willis & Bliss. Willis retired January 1, 1872. Mr. Bliss carries a stock of $12,000 to $15,000. Mr. B. was born in Royalston, Worcester Co., Mass., October 16, 1833; was educated in the city of Worcester; left home in 1858, and located at St. Croix County, Wis., where he engaged in general occupations until the breaking out of our late war. He enlisted June 4, 1861, in the Fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; about 1862 the regiment was reorganized as a cavalry regiment. Mr. B. served until mustered out at expiration of term of enlistment, July 4, 1864. During the years 1862 and 1863 was detailed as steward in hospital at New Orleans. After visiting various places looking up a location, he finally settled in Atchison, Kan., in 1866, and opened a jewelry store. He was married in Chesterfield, N. H., December, 1872, to Miss Carrie M. Pierce, of Chesterfield. They have one child, Grace P. Mr. B. is a member of I. O. O. F., has held all the chairs in the lodge and encampment. Is also a member of Washington Lodge, A. F. & A. M. He was a member of the Board of Education two years.
H. L. BOSTWICK, clerk of the city of Atchison.
JOHN M. BOWEN, merchant, came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, and located at Atchison, where he has lived since. He is one of the prominent and well known citizens of the place. He is a member of the St. Mary's Branch, No. 207, Catholic Knights of America. Mr. Bowen was born in County Monegal, Tipperary Ireland, May 30, 1840, where he lived until his twelfth year, when his parents emigrated to this country and settled in Herkimer County, N. Y. Here Mr. Bowen remained until his nineteenth year when he went to Downville, Cal. He lived in California and Idaho ten years and then returned to New York State, where he remained four months and then came to Kansas. He was married in Utica, N. Y., July 13, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Hennessey, a native of Utica. They have three children - Mary A., Willie J., and Ethel Loretto.
WILLIAM BOWMAN, of Bowman & Kellogg, proprietors of Central Mills, is a native of New Hampshire. He was born in the town of Littleton, Grafton County, November 6, 1828 and educated in his native county. At the age of twenty-one he entered the works of E. and T. Fairbanks & Co., of St. Johnsbury, Vt., where he spent about two years learning scale making. In 1852 he was sent out traveling in their interest, having his head-quarters in Chicago, and in 1855 he returned east to Lowell, Mass., and was employed in the Lowell Machine shops. In 1856 was married there to Miss Drusilla Richards, of Chesterville, Me., after which he settled in Greenfield, Highland County, Ohio, where he was engaged in building and contracting until 1860, in which year he moved to Atchison, Kansas, and at once engaged in active business. Was in the lumber firm of Wright & Bowman until 1862; then commenced the milling business under the firm name of Woodard & Bowmen. Mr. W. retired in 1867, and Mr. B. has since continued the business under various firm names. Mr. B. was a member of the Legislature in 1866-7, was President of the Board of State House Commissioners for the building of the east wing of the State House at Topeka; has been a member of the City Council, and was City Treasurer for five or six years; is at present President of the Board of Trade.
PETER BOYER, farmer, five miles north of Atchison. Was born in 1811, in York County, Pa., where he was raised. In 1826 went to Dover, Pa., and went to work at the shoemaker's trade, which trade he followed at that place until 1836, when he went to Montgomery County, Ohio, and settled near Dayton, on the turnpike road, where he kept a hotel and ran a saw mill until 1848. He then moved to Yellow Springs, Ohio, and kept hotel until his removal to this State in 1857. He located at Doniphan and ran a boarding house for a short time, when he moved to St. Joseph, Mo., where he remained until 1858, when he moved to Atchison, Kan., and ran the American House for some time; then the Planter Hotel until 1861, when he moved to his farm, five miles north. He has 160 acres with seventy acres under cultivation. Was married in 1832 in York County, Pa., to Miss Mary A. Meiselter. They have seven children, viz - Ambrose G., Carolina, Jennie, Josephine, Angeline, Henry M., and Sallie. In 1834-35 was assessor of York County, Pa. In 1844 to '47 was assessor of Clarke County, Ohio. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
PROF. D. T. BRADFORD, dealer in musical merchandise, prominently identified with the educational interests of Atchison, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Maine, and was born in Cumberland County, August 14, 1828. He received a good education, graduating at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Me., in 1854, the same college that the poet Longfellow and other distinguished men of the time were graduates of, and at the same time. Prof. B. had been a teacher during his vacations at the college, and after graduating came to Pennsylvania and accepted the position of associate principal of the Mt. Joy Academy at Mt. Joy, in which capacity he acted a few years, when he was appointed instructor of language in the Lancaster County Normal School; the duties of this important trust he discharged for several terms. In 1857 he came west locating temporarily at Sterling, Ill., and soon after established the graded school system at Havana, Ill., and for upward of two years was associated with the educational interests of that town. He was next called to Kewanee, Ill., and established a graded school. In the Kewanee and Weathersfield Union School, of which he was principal upward of four years, among the pupils were Albinus Nance, the present Governor of Nebraska. From Kewanee he returned to Portland, Me., to rest from the arduous duties he had passed through; residing there until 1865, when he came west, locating in Atchison, and took charge of the school which at that time was in an unfavorable condition. He established the graded system, and was closely associated with the city's educational development for four years. He was also called to Western Missouri for a term, and in the same capacity was one year at Paola, Miami County, Kansas. November 11, 1872, he established his present business, carrying one of the largest stock to be found in the Northwest, and his trade is in conformity. Prof. B. has been a success not only as an educator, but also as a business man. In commercial circles there are few that are more highly respected. He is a finished gentleman, and takes a live interest in all matters that tend toward elevating the morals of the State. The professor has furnished us with much valuable information pertaining to the early school history of Atchison, which is contained in this work. He is a member of the I. O. G. T., has held several of the higher offices in the lodge, and has done much toward the temperance cause in Kansas; if in any instance his efforts were in vain, he has had the satisfaction of knowing that he contributed an ample share of his power for a good cause. He also is a member of the K. of H., I. O. O. F. and K. and L. of H.
J. P. BROWN is one of the oldest settlers of Atchison, having settled in the place March 23, 1859, and resided there since that time. He has been quite prominently identified with the construction of railroads in the State, and also done work of the same kind in Missouri - grading, bridging and finishing ties for the A. & N., a distance of about forty miles. The firm (composed of Messrs. Brown & Bier) did forty miles grading on fifty-three miles of the first one hundred constructed of the C. B. U. P. and also did the grading, furnished the ties, and laid the track on the L. A, & S. W., now at par of the Missouri Pacific. A. J. McCausland, formerly engaged with Mr. Brown in government and probate freighting, was killed and robbed in 1864, near Gibson's Ferry, between Virginia City and Salt Lake, while returning over the plains in one of Holiday's stage coaches. Besides Mr. McCausland, Mr. Parker, of Kansas, and several others were killed. Messrs. McCausland and Parker were robbed of $60,000 in gold dust. Messrs. Brown & McCausland had carried on the freighting business across the plains for several years prior to this event.
C. C. BURNES has been a resident of Atchison for the past eight years. His father was one of the original proprietors of the town, and since its first settlement has been actively interested in its welfare. He was the builder of eleven of the business blocks of the city, nine of Canal street and two on Fourth street; the Otis House block, and many private residences. He is a native of Indiana, lived at Weston from 1838 to 1873, and then removed to St. Joseph, Mo. C. C. Burnes was born in Weston, Mo., May 17, 1856, and lived in that town until he located in Atchison. His wife was Fannie A. Byram, born in Nebraska, and daughter of Augustus Byram, an early settler in Atchison. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have two children - Byram and Eleanor Margaret. Mr. B. is a member of A. F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
THOMAS BUTCHER, retired farmer, residence on Sixth street, between R and S South Atchison, is a Pennsylvanian, born at Brownsville, Fayette County, June 6, 1809. In his younger days he learned his trade of a brick mason, which he was employed at in his native State. Came to Atchison in December, 1858, and purchased a farm ten miles southwest of the city, where he lived improving his land till after the great Rebellion. Removing to the city, he became connected with the firm of Butcher, Auld & Co., who contracted for and constructed railroads in Missouri and Kansas. During his early residence in Atchison, Mr. Butcher made some of the finest improvements in the city for those early times , and has always taken an active part in the public enterprise of his town and State, often sacrificing his own interests in advocating his principles. He was elected member of the first State Legislature of Kansas, serving one term. During the pro-slavery time he was a thorough Anti-slavery man, often protecting slaves who came to his house, at the personal risk of life and property. His wife was Miss Jane Auld, whom he married at Brownsville, Pa., January 19, 1840, and who died July 6, 1881. They had six children, only two of them living, George W. and Josephine.
EPHRAIM BUTCHER, retired farmer, was born in Fayette County, Pa., November 23, 1818, son of Ephraim and Mary Burcher, the former of English, the latter of German lineage, her maiden name Fierce. He attended school till sixteen years of age, then began steamboating on the Monongahela River, and afterwards on the Mississippi and Missouri. Continued this until 1848, and in the meantime owned an interest in some eight different boats. After this he was employed at railroad constructing in Ohio and Wisconsin. Mr. Butcher came to Atchison in 1858 and was one of the pioneers of the city. For some time after his removal here, his attention was given to contracting for grading and furnishing ties for railroads, but since then he has been dealing in real estate. Mr. Butcher has taken a great deal of interest in railroad advancement, and has been connected with various railroad corporations.
GEORGE E. BUTTS, farmer, small fruits and grape grower. Is a native of England and was born in 1849. He was brought up to the trade of stone-mason. In 1869 he emigrated to America and located in Atchison County, Kas., and engaged in farming and fruit-growing. He has eighty acres of well-improved land, with good stone house and other buildings, orchard, hedge fences, etc. He was married July 25, 1882, to Miss Alice Louisa Bowen, of Atchison.
JAMES W. BURKHART, ice dealer, has been a resident of Kansas since the fall of 1856. Took a claim in Doniphan County, but afterwards became proprietor of the first steam ferry run across the Missouri River at Iowa Point. In 1863 he came to Atchison and two years later opened business as an ice dealer, which he has since successfully carried on, being now the oldest dealer in that line in the city. The subject of this sketch was born in Marion County, Ind., near the city of Indianapolis, June 17, 1825, son of David and Schakrisa Burkhart, both of German lineage but American born. At fourteen years of age he learned the painter's trade. Mr. Burkhart has been married twice. His first wife, Harriet E. White, of Springfield, Ill., died in 1866, twenty-three years after their marriage. His present wife was Mary A. Schwartz, whom he wedded in November, 1872.