|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (AIKEN - BAYLEY).
SCOTT AIKEN, carpenter, came to Kansas, March 5, 1877, and located in Franklin County, where he was engaged in farming, and where he remained until January 1878. From there he went to Neosho County, where he remained about four months, then came back to Franklin County and remained a couple of months; then went to Johnson County, where he remained for the same length of time; from there went to Burr Oak, Kan., where he lived eight months, and from there came to Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. Aiken is a member of Castalla Lodge, No. 4. I. O. G. T. He was born in Lawrence County, Pa., February 7, 1858, and remained in his native place until he came to Kansas. He was married in Atchison, May 17, 1882, to Anna Oxandale, who was born in Norton, near Moulton, Yorkshire, England.
EDWIN C. AINSWORTH is a native of New Jersey. In 1848, he removed to Wisconsin, where he resided until he came to Kansas in 1871, and located in Atchison. He is now manager of the extensive business of Hewitt & Rounds, having been with the concern since it was started by A. B. Bradish & Co., in December, 1871.
FRANK P. ALLEN, livery and sale stable, North fourth street, was born in Cass County, Mich., March 22, 1851, but came to Kansas in 1857, with his parents, who settled on a farm eighteen miles west of Atchison. When 15 years of age, the subject of this sketch began freighting across the plains, and made five trips to Salt Lake and one to California. He is doing an excellent business at his livery and sale stable, sometimes keeping as many as fifty horses; also runs a sample room in connection with it. Mr. Allen was married in this city, in 1877, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Peter and Jenette Reid, who came to Kansas as early as 1858.
PHILLIP N. ALLEN, teamster, residence on Fifth street between Division and L streets, was born in Moniteau County, Mo., September 2, 1840. His parents were Alfred H. and Varana - the former of Irish and German extraction, the latter from Switzerland. His father kept a boat store and hotel at St. Joseph, same State, but in 1854, opened the first hotel in the city of Atchison. Here the subject of this sketch lived until 1860, when he left for the mountains -- his employment, freighting across the plains. This he continued six years, then returned to Atchison where he has since made his home, and where hi father died in 1879. Being here during war time, Mr. Allen saw a good deal of and met with various encounters from the Pro-slavery band, and at one time old Pardee Butler was taken from his father's house, and an attempt made to hang him. They changed their plans however, and set him afloat on the Missouri River instead, and after he returned they tarred and cottoned him, as feathers were too scarce.
SAMUEL JESSE ALLEN is a native of Washington County, R. I., and was born April 30, 1821. He was the son of Stephen William Allen, a well-known citizen of Washington County. The subject was raised and educated in his native State, an learned the machinist's trade. He was crippled in the lower limbs when 13 years of age, caused by a fall. He was an operator and builder of machinery in Rhode Island for a considerable length of time, and here for six years has pursued the same vocation. In 1857, came to Illinois, residing for a time in Will County, and for about ten years was a resident of LaSalle County. In 1887, came to St. Joseph, Mo., and for a short time was in business there, coming to Kansas in the spring of 1868, locating in Doniphan County, where he still owns a fine farm. This he made his home while attending to his special line in different parts of the State. In 1873 took up his abode in Atchison. During his sojourn, he has done a large amount of contracting and building. He owns one of the best quarries in Atchison County. At present he is interested in the flour and feed trade, doing a business that will compare favorably with any in the city. Mr. Allen was married in Rhode Island, in 1840, to Miss Alice A. Clark. By this union, they have had five children: Jesse C., Ada (now Mrs. Whitney), Samuel S., Lorinda C. (now Mrs William Anderson), and Frank. Jesse C. and Samuel S. are engaged in conducting a woolen mill at DesMoines, Iowa. Mr. Allen is a member of the I. O. G. T., and is closely identified with the Temperance workers in Kansas.
N. P. ANDERSON, merchant, came to Kansas in July, 1872, and located in Atchison, where he has since lived. When Mr. A. first came to Atchison, he was employed for nearly three years in Challiss Bros'. wholesale grocery establishment. In 1876 he was a member of the Atchison police force. From that time to the present he has been engaged in present occupation. Mr. Anderson is a member of Schiller Lodge No. 33, and of Hesperian Encampment, No. 6, I. O. O. F. He was born in Holbeck, near Copenhagen, Denmark, September 5, 1838, and lived in his native place until he came to Kansas. He was married in Rondas, Denmark, November 12, 1871, to Dorothea Bernzen, a native of Denmark. They have two children, one of whom, Atlantic Barth, was born at sea, while his parents was coming to this country. As his birth took place at the exact moment the captain of the vessel had completed his observation for the day, it was easy to ascertain the precise latitude and longitude where the little stranger was ushered into existence, which is latitude 28 deg. 28 min. north, and longitude 48 deg. 34 min. west, which accounts for the first part of his name. Their other son is named Julius Gearhardt.
JAMES ANDERSON, manager of the street railway, for the Atchison R. R. Company, came to Kansas in 1865, and from that time until October, 1880, had an interest in the Transfer Line at Lawrence. He then came to Atchison, and in April of the year following engaged with the above company. Mr. Anderson has the supervision of twenty-five men and nine cars. He was born in Loudoun County, Va., March 16, 1848, where his father followed farming, and was killed in battle, as captain of the Loudoun Rangers in the Confederate army. The subject of this sketch also had an older brother, Fleming, who was a soldier in the same company, and was killed while talking to his mother in his own home at Taylortown, Va. Mrs. Anderson was formerly Miss Josephine, daughter of John and Frances Oliver, who were among the early settlers of Atchison County. They were married at Leavenworth in 1879. Mr. Anderson's mother still resides at Lawrence, this State.
JAMES ANDERSON, wood yard. Business established in September 1880. He keeps wood of all kinds and employs two men. Mr. A. was born in the Island Lowland, Denmark, January 22d, 1844. Was educated in the old country, where he engaged in farming until 1866, when he came to the United States, and located for a time in Wisconsin, Michigan and other points. In 1870 he settled in Washington County, Kan., and engaged in farming until 1876, when he removed to Atchison, and contracted getting out railroad ties until he established his present business.
W. S. ANDERSON is a native of Allborg, Denmark. He was born January 31, 1854, and came to America with his parents, Niels and Sophia Anderson the following year. They first located in Missouri, where they remained until 1857, when they moved to Kansas. Mr. W. S. Anderson was married in Atchison, July 30, 1877, to Emma E. Page, of McHenry County, Ill. They have two children - Grace Sophia, and an infant daughter. Mr. Anderson is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 5 and of Hesperian Encampment, No. 6, I. O. O. F., and is now engaged in the grocery business, No. 505 Commercial street, Atchison, Kan.
R. S. ANDERSON, dealer in wall paper. Among the pioneer painters in Kansas is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of New York, and was born in Otsego County, March 2, 1834. At an early age he removed to Oneida County, thence to Chenango County, where he learned the painter's trade, after which he came to Illinois, and was in the employ of the C., B. & Q. R. R. painting the depots along its line, with headquarters at Galesburg. The spring of 1859 he came to Atchison and bought out a paint shop. Being in limited circumstances it may be said of him that he made his fortune in Atchison, on its bed rock. From that date he has been almost constantly identified with the city's interest, and a large amount of the artistic work in the city has been done by him. In 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Aside from being after Quantrell, in Missouri, he was at Fort Leavenworth, in the Government employ, having charge of the painting at the fort, where he remained for two and a half years, and returned to Atchison. The first house he owned in Atchison he resided in for twenty years. Mr. A. is a pleasing and well informed gentleman, and is one of Atchison's most solid citizens and business men. He married in the autumn of 1859, Miss Lucy Ensign. By the union they have had ten children, six of whom are living - Clara, Winford, Grace, Benjamin, Charles R., Lucy: lost, four - Randolph, Minnie Belle, George and Willie. Mr. Anderson is a deacon in the Baptist Church, and a member of the I. O. O. F.
JOHN S. ANTLE, coal dealer, corner Tenth and Main streets, was born in the city of Praque, the capital of Bohemia, December 6, 1844. His occupation was that of a weaver, in his native country, and this he followed until 1864, when he emigrated to the United States. Came immediately to Atchison, where he began burning lime, which business he successfully operated until 1876. In September of this year he commenced in the retail coal trade, and has by industry and close attention to business, worked up a large and lucrative business, handling between 500 and 600 car loads per year. Mr. Antle is now President of the Atchison Turnverein. He married at this place in 1868, Miss Kate Mohrbacher, who was born in Wisconsin, and by whom he has one son, Richard F.
ARTHUR BROTHERS, sons of the Hon. James Arthur, formerly lumber merchant of Quincy, Ills., now retired from business. Wholesale and retail books, stationery, fancy goods, etc. Firm composed of W. H. and N. W. Arthur. The business was established in 1879. They now keep the best selected and largest stock in their line in the city, and by close attention to business, courteous treatment to visitors and low prices, have established themselves as the leaders in their business. W. H. Arthur, of the above firm, was born in Quincy, Ill., January 6, 1853, received his education in his native city, and at an early age commenced clerking in the stationery business, and with slight exceptions has since continued in it. In 1879 he moved to Kansas, settled in Atchison, and organized the present firm. He was married in Quincy, Ill., May 6, 1880, to Miss Minna Sommer, a daughter of Aldo Sommer, Esq., a leading wholesale druggist, of Quincy, Ill. They have one child - James Sommer Arthur. N. W. Arthur, of the above firm, was born in Quincy, Ill., August 20, 1858. After completing his education he engaged in clerking, in which he continued until he came to Kansas, in 1879. Both brothers are members of the Presbyterian Church.
SAMUEL A. ASHMUN, cashier and correspondent for the firm of Donald Bros., came to Atchison with said firm in 1879. Had formerly been in the employ of H. B. Silliman, Cohoes, N. Y., where he held the position of cashier and bookkeeper for six years. Born in Genesee County, N. Y., January 18, 1849; his parents were the Rev, Silas H. Ashmun, and Mary Van Santvoord, his wife, the latter of German lineage. His father, a Presbyterian minister, was a graduate of Union Seminary, New York. The subject of this sketch received an academical course of education at Ripon, Wis., where he graduated in mathematics and the early portion of his life was devoted to school teaching. His wife was Miss Jessie Donald, whom he married at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1875.
W. W. AULD, of Blair & Auld, proprietors of City Mills.
JOHN C. AVERY was born at Groton, Conn. : immigrated to Iowa in 1859; enlisted in Company H., Thirty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, July, 1862, and was mustered out as Sergeant of his company, June 26, 1865. After his discharge from the army he returned to Franklin County, Iowa, and in the spring of 1867, removed to Minnesota, remaining in that State two years. In 1870, he went to Massachusetts, residing at Springfield, Mass,; engaged in merchantile business until 1876, when he came to Mason City, Iowa, and thence to Atchison, where he established the Kansas department of New England Loan and Trust Company, of which he now has charge.
WILLIAM P. AYRES head clerk in the way-bill office of the U. S. Express Company at the Union Depot, Atchison, was born in Richland County, Ohio, February 10, 1838. While in his native State his occupation was that of a merchant, and in 1857 he came to Kansas. His first engagement with the U. S. Express Company was at Lawrence, this State, the same year of his arrival here being deliverer and general helper in the office at that place. After two years' trial at this he was advanced to messenger on the road, his route being changed a number of times, and in 1873 located at Atchison, and in 1878 was appointed to his present position. Mr. Ayers is now among the oldest expressmen in the State, and by strict attention to business, and the adept manner in which his various duties have been performed, has acquired the reputation of a man thoroughly acquainted with his business.
THOMAS BAILY, foreman for Washer & White, Elevator A. Is a native of England, and was born in Warwickshire, March 16, 1834. When quite young came to the United States, and was reared in Boston, Mass., where he learned to be a practical optician. For a time was a resident of New York City. In 1859 came West, locating in Leavenworth, Kansas. In 1860 he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Kansas Infantry, serving three years and four months, being on duty in the Southwest, a portion of the time in Texas. In 1871, came to Atchison, and followed various pursuits until February 11, 1876, when he took his present position. Mr. Baily is one of the most competent elevator and grain men in the State, and is held in high esteem by his employers. He married in 1875, Miss Ann Ests, of Atchison. They have by this union four children - Louisa, Adella A., Thomas Jr. and Asa.
LIEUTENANT DAVID BAKER. One who has figured conspicuously in the growth and development of the Western country is David Baker. He is a native of Indiana and was born in Tippecanoe County, July 7, 1833, near the town of Dayton. He is the son of William and Hannah Baker, the former being of English extraction. The first of the family to come to America was Thomas Baker, a Colonel in the English army, who resigned from that position to come to the colonies, settling on Long island, while it was yet in possession of the Dutch. William Baker was born in New jersey, and emigrated to Ohio, settling in Buter County, in 1807. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. In 1827 he moved to Indiana, being among the pioneers of Tippecanoe County. There he opened a farm in the timber, and endured the hardships and privation subsequent to the first settlement of a new country. He was a man closely associated with religion, and class leader in the United Brethren Church, and his house, for a number of years, was used to hold services in. His death occurred February 19, 1844. He was married twice. By his first wife he had six children. One son - Robert, lived in Dayton, Ind. The other - Thomas, is proprietor of the Grand Hotel in Indianapolis. Mary Ann was married to Moses Graft, a prosperous farmer. Had a large family. Rachel married a well known physician - Dr. D. H. Crouse, of Dayton, and is now deceased. Two of her children are living, one of whom is Rev. M. V. Crouse, an able clergyman of the Presbyterian Church, of Franklin, Ohio. The other two children of William Baker died when they were young. His second marriage was with Hannah Moore, a native of this country, but of Irish parentage. William Moore was in the war of 1812, and in General Hill's surrender, and then paroled, but in a short time returned to the army, and fought until the close of the war. Hannah Moore Baker was the mother of six children, three of her sons being farmers - Abner in Kansas, Josiah in Illinois, and Samuel in Indiana. The youngest - George W., died in infancy. Her only daughter - Martha Jane, married Dr. J. A. Wood, who, for a number of years, was a resident of Atchison County, Kansas, but since the war has been a resident of Monticello, Ind., at which place he died in 1878, leaving a family of five children. Mrs. Baker, after the death of her husband, married Henry Goble, and removed to Clinton County, Ind. She was a pious woman, and a faithful adherent to the United Brethren church. Her death occurred in 1851, in the full triumph of her faith. Her last words were: "Glory! Glory!" As she opened her eyes once more, to behold her son David, for whom she had seemed to be waiting for hours just at the door of death, then she sank peacefully away. The education of David baker and his brothers was limited, owing to the poor school facilities in Indiana at that early day. His chief amusement while pursuing the routine of the farmer boy, was that of hunting and fishing. When fourteen years of age, he went to Dayton to learn the carpenters' trade with his brother Robert, serving an apprenticeship of three years, when he followed the trade for about the same length of time in Lafayette, Ind. On the 4th of June, 1855, he married Margaret J. Alexander. She lived only until the following year, June 20th, when her death occurred, leaving one infant daughter - Alfaretta Jane, who died a few months later. She was a religious and educated lady, fond of literature, and an admirer of poetry. A few months after this, Mr. Baker came to Kansas, arriving in Atchison County September 19, 1857. He purchased a share in the Sumnertown Company, and pre-empted 160 acres of land near Lancaster, ten miles west of Atchison. He left Kansas December 5, in company with thirteen others, in a skiff, and rowed to Jefferson City, where they took the cars, he returning to Indiana. The 9th of March, 1858, he married Rebecca Foresman, daughter of John Foresman, a pioneer of Indiana. Returned to Kansas with his wife, arriving at Sumner April 29. There he worked at his trade two years. In 1858-59 was township collector and treasurer, and in 1859-60 was marshal of the town of Sumner, an unenviable position at that day, owing to the border element, and Mr. Baker had in many instances some of the most noted outlaws to deal with. Being a Free-state man he took an active part in the affairs of the time, and was a delegate to the first Republican County Convention. His life is replete with incidents too numerous to mention, but A. D. Richardson, the author of "Beyond the Mississippi," who was a personal friend of his, has pictured the scenes of those times to perfection. In 1861, he began to open his farm, but as the war of the Rebellion was fully upon us, he entered the military service. He was mustered into the volunteer service as a private soldier, in Company G, Eighth Kansas Infantry, November 11, 1861, and on the 14th was ordered to Lawrence for drill. While there, November 21, 1861, was promoted to the rank of First Sergeant of the company. From December 20, 1861, until January 16, 1862, the regiment was guarding the border. Three companies, A, D and G, were ordered to Fort Kearney, where they arrived on March 12, and remained until April 15, when Company G was detached, and sent to Scott's Bluff, on the overland mail route, to quell Indian troubles. On May 28, the company was ordered to Fort Laramie, where they remained on garrison duty until January 15, 1863, when they were ordered to join the regiment at Nashville, Tenn, marching from Fort Laramie to Leavenworth, thence by rail and water to Nashville. They assisted the regiment on provost duty in the city until June 7, 1863, when all the companies were ordered to Murfreesboro, Tenn., where the regiment was assigned to Third Brigade of the First Divison, Twentieth Army Corps, and on June 24 marched under General Rosecrans to Tullahoma, then to Winchester and Stephenson, Ala., and across the river to skirmish with the enemy. While at Winchester, July 25, 1863, Mr. Baker was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company G, but as it was then below the minimum number, he was not mustered on his commission, and on September 9 received a commission as First Lieutenant, but was again not mustered, as the army was on the move, but acted as First Lieutenant in his company, and on September 19, 1863, was engaged in the battle of Chichamauga, where he was severely wounded in the left leg, and taken prisoner, lying four days on the field without any attention. His leg was amputated by a surgeon of the U. S. Army, who was also a prisoner. After twelve days he was paroled and sent through the lines, and was taken to the officers' hospital in Chattanooga, where he remained until sent to Nashville, Tenn., November 10, 1863. November 30 he received leave of absence for thirty days, to visit his wife and friends at Lafayette, Ind., when he returned and made application to be mustered in on his commission, which was granted by the War Department, and he was mustered November 21, 1864, to date from September 9, 1863. He was then ordered to report to Major A. W. Gazzona, commanding the Veteran Reserve Corps at Nashville, Tenn. Was detailed for duty with detachment of the 148th and 151st companies of the Second Battalion of the Veteran Reserve Corps, at general hospital No. 19, on the 12th of January, 1865. He was released and ordered to report to Captain J. H. Meyer, at the Cumberland Hospital, January 18, 1865. He assumed command of the 154th company of the Second Battalion of the Veteran Reserve Coprs, and in addition had command of the 152nd company of the same battalion. May 31, 1865, he was released from duty from the hospital, and assigned to duty as acting assistant quartermaster and acting assistant commissary of subsistence of the Veteran Reserve Corps. June 27, 1865, he also assumed the duties of acting assistant adjutant of the corps. He served on general court martial duty for some time, and continued in his duties for the Veteran Reserve Corps until the close of the war. December 11, 1865, he left Nashville and returned to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where he was mustered out January 10, 1866. He is deserving of special mention and the commendation of all true patriots, for the active part he took in quelling the Rebellion. Mrs. Baker also is to be complimented as a woman who shared the hardships of camp life with her husband. With two children she accompanied him to Fort Laramie. At this place was born their third child, November 24, 1862, a son whom they named Robert Laramie, in honor of the birthplace. When her husband was sent to Nashville she left him at St. Louis and went to her parents in Indiana; remained about one year; while there Robert Laramie died, his sickness beginning the evening of his father's return on leave of absence, after being wounded, and his death occurred six weeks later, February 12, 1864, when Mrs. B. went South with her husband; was an eye-witness to the battle of Nashville and remained with him to the close of the war. Her two oldest children were born in Sumner, Kansas - Addie L., March 12, 1859; Solon Byrd, September 8, 1860. The others were all born in Atchison - Mary Eldora, April 4, 1867; Edwin M., February 5, 1869; Eva Hortense, January 24, 1870; David H., January 30, 1873; Estella, July 13, 1876; Ruth, March 30, 1878, and Blanche, born January 28, 1881. Addie L. married December 15, 1880, to William Carlyle, one of Atchison's well known business men. At the close of the war Lieutenant Baker returned to Kansas, locating in Atchison. He entered the drug business with Dr. Horn, but lost his whole stock by fire in 1868. At present he is engaged in the grocery trade, in connection with a meat market, and doing a thriving business. Mr. B. is a member of the Methodist Church. Politically, he is a strong Republican, and in 1871 was elected by that party to the office of County Treasurer, discharging the duties creditably to himself and the satisfaction of his constituents. He was a prominent candidate for the following term, but was defeated by a small majority. He was also a candidate in 1874 for State Treasurer, but finally withdrew in favor of one of the opponents. Since that time he has been leading a quiet life, the surroundings of his home and happy family indicating comfort and prosperity.
H. W. BARKOW, of the firm Barkow & Ash, boot and shoe dealers. This gentleman is a native of Germany, and was born in Prussia, October 16, 1830; was reared and educated in his native country. In 1869 came to the United States, locating temporarily in Milwaukee, Wis., after which he came to Atchison. Mr. Barkow being in meager circumstances on arriving in Kansas, engaged in working on a farm outside of Atchison, and the first money he earned in this country was in tilling the soil. For three years he was in the employ of Judge Otis, in Atchison. In 1877, he engaged in the boot and shoe trade in company with H. A. Nore (now deceased); his present partner, Mr. A. J. Ash, joined him in 1880. Mr. Barkow is one of the most genial gentleman, and has a host of friends throughout Atchison County. He married January 10, 1878, Miss Katie Sutter. By this union they have three children - Minnie, Frank and Lillie.
F. M. BARNES, hardware salesman, came to Kansas August, 1871, located in Penn Township, Osborne Co., and engaged in farming there until March, 1881, then removed to Osborne City in the same county, where he remained until he came to Atchison, March 1, 1882. Employed in the same position which he now fills since he came to this city. He was married at Osborne City, September 18, 1879, to Clara S. Bliss, a native of Illinois. They have two children - Lena and Albert. Mr. Barnes was born in Middleburgh, Pa., November 25, 1852. Removed from there in infancy with his parents, John L. and Catherine L. Barnes to Reading, Pa. They lived there until August, 1871, when the family came to Kansas, where they resided until the mother died in 1874; the father now resides in Osborne City, Osborne Co.
REUBEN C. BARNES, proprietor of the Atchison Conservatory and Green House, 1717 Main Street, was born in Middlesex County, Conn., October 31, 1814. In early life was a manufacturer of paper hangings, and in 1859 came West and farmed in the neighborhood of Atchison for four years. Removing to the city he at once commenced keeping hotel, known as the Avenue House, but since changed to Fifth Street House. In 1878, embarked in his present venture, and has by close attention to business, and careful study of the wants of the people, gained the liberal patronage of the same. He has three houses, one for an entrance room, the others 260X14 and 130X16, are for floral culture, provided with a Hitchings New York Patent Boiler. Keeps a full assortment of house and garden plants, and furnishes floral designs to any part of the State on short notice. Mr. Barnes married at Middletown, Conn., in 1835, Miss Chloe Beach, of Massachusetts.
M. BARRETT, Cashier of the Atchison National Bank, was born in Springfield, Ohio; removed to Iowa in 1854, locating in Louisa County, at Washington, Washington Co., and at Columbus in that state, before locating at Atchison. While at Washington, Mr. Barrett was in the lumber business, and prior to that time resided at Perrysville, Ind., being connected with a bank in that village, and is a stockholder in the First National Bank at Washington. Since locating at Atchison, he has confined himself to banking, except that during one year with a partner he was employed in packing hogs. Mr. Barrett is a thorough and energetic business man.
S. V. BARTH, clothing merchant, of the firm S. V. Barth & Co., who are old established merchants at Trenton, Grundy Co., Mo., and opened this branch house at Atchison, in March, 1880. They now rank among the first merchants in this line in the city, and to them may be given a great deal of credit in working up so good a trade in a city already so well represented in that line of business. Mr. Barth was born in Germany, Rhine province, October 24, 1851, but came to the United States with his parents in 1866, locating in Columbia, Mo., where for six months he was employed with his two elder brothers at peddling on horseback through that portion of the State. Then clerked in a dry goods store until 1871, at which time he removed to St. Joseph, same State, where he was engaged as traveling agent for four years, and was there married in August, 1879, to Miss Pauline Steiner. Mr. Barth is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the Knights of Pythias.
HALLER H. BAYLEY, druggist, came to Kansas in March, 1874, and located in Atchison, where he has since resided. Mr. Bayley has been city clerk of Waukesha, Wis., and a member of the city council of Greeley, Col. Mr. B. was born in Waukesha, Wis., June 14, 1849, and lived in his native place until his twenty-first year, when he went to Cheyenne, Wy. T., where he remained a few months and then went to Greeley, Col. At the latter place he remained two years, and then went to Boulder, Col., where he remained one year and four months and then came to Kansas. Mr. Bayley is connected with the extensive wholesale drug house of McPike & Fox, where he holds an important and responsible position, and possesses the respect of all who are fortunate enough to be acquainted with him. Mr. B. was married November 4, 1874, at Willimantic, Conn., to Miss Hattie E. Clark, a native of Connecticut. They have one child, a daughter, named Maybelle.