KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Richardson County
Produced by
Pam Rietsch.


PART 1:



Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860

PART 2:


Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads

PART 3:


Falls City:   First Permanent Residents | City Officials
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
County Buildings

PART 4:



Falls City (conts.):   Banks | Manufacturing Interests
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
Churches

PARTS
 5 ~ 9:

Biographical Sketches:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL
RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY

PART 10:


Humboldt:   Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.

PART 11:
Humboldt:   Biographical Sketches
PART 12:


Rulo:   Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches

PART 13:

Dawson:   Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches

PART 14:

Salem:   Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches

PART 15:





Arago:   Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston

List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter


Part 7


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
[LEE ~ POWELL ]

   REV. JOHN T. LEE, pastor of St. Francis Xavier's Church, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., December 27, 1851. He removed with his parents to Bridgeport, Conn., where he received his preliminary education. In September, 1866, he entered Holy Cross College, under the control of the Jesuits, at Worcester, Mass., where he pursued his classical studies. His philosophical and theological education was obtained at the Montreal College from which he graduated in June, 1872. He then entered the seminary of Our Lady of Angels, at Suspension Bridge, N. Y., and was ordained December 23, 1876. After a vacation proceeded to Nebraska and located in Lincoln as assistant to Very Rev. William Byrne, from which place he was changed to Cheyenne, W. T., October 5, 1877, and remained until July 23, 1878, when he took charge of North Platte, Neb. During his incumbency at North Platte, F. Lee built a church in Sidney, Neb., the first religious edifice in the place. From North Platte he removed to Falls City, Neb., and took his present charge April 19, 1879, which he has since retained.

   E. P. LAHMAN, agricultural implements. Business established in 1873 by Saylor & Lahman. Mr. L. has been alone since 1877. He represents the McCormick Harvesting Machine Co., Minnesota Chief Thresher, Sandwich Corn Sheller, Briggs & Immick, Rockford, Ill., plows and cultivators, Davenport and Monitor plows, "Malta" Davenport and Knowlton combined cultivators, Newton Wagons, Stover Windmills, Rockford force and lift pumps. Mr. Lahman was born in Adams County, Md. His parents moved to Lee County, Ill., about 1845 where he received his schooling and remained engaged in farming until 1873 when he settled in Falls City, Neb. He was married in Lee County, Ill., to Miss Saylor, of that county.

     B. F. LEIDY, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Falls City. Mr. L. settled on present place in 1874. He has 240 acres in the home farm. Raises grain somewhat though his specialty is stock. Mr. L. was born in Philadelphia, Pa., August 30, 1830. His parents moved to Luzerne County, Pa., when he was a boy. His first operation was in canaling, in which he continued until about 1857. He then commenced braking on the D. L. & W. R. R. and was afterward made a conductor on same road. Some years after he took the same position on the Erie R. R., with headquarters at Port Jervis, N. Y., and continued in the employ of this company until 1874 when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County and has since engaged in farming. Mr. L. was married in Narrowsburg, N. Y., in 1874 to Miss Hendrix, a native of New York State.

   W. P. LONG, nursery, P. O. Falls City. Commenced business in 1872. He has forty acres of hedge plants and other stock; fruit trees, berries, grapes, etc. Mr. L. was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., December 3, 1842. His father has been engaged in the nursery business about thirty-five years, and W. P. has been at it all his life. He was raised in Carroll County, Ill., where his parents moved about 1848, and from there he came to Nebraska in 1872, and settled in Richardson County. Mr. L. was married in Carroll County, Ill., to Miss Eshelman of that county. They have six children living, Charles, Nellie, Lindley, Howard, Jessie C. and Fred.

   DR. J. B. McCONNELL, physician and surgeon. Was born in Summit, Cambria County, Pa., July 1853. Commenced his education at the Latrobe University, finished collegiate course at Westmoreland College. In 1871, commenced the study of medicine in Summit. Entered Jefferson Medical College and graduated in 1875. Engaged in practice in Cambria and Huntingdon Counties, Pa. In 1878, settled in Falls City, Neb., and engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married in Falls City, Neb., April 20, 1880, to Mrs. A. B. (Buckley) Smith of Falls City. They have one child, William.

   McCUNE & DeWALD, contractors and builders. Firm organized February, 1882. H. F. McCune was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, July 5, 1833. Was apprenticed to his trade in Tiffin, Ohio. In 1852, he moved to St. Louis, Mo., where he worked at his trade until 1856. Then he entered the service of the Government, in which he remained about nineteen months, engaged working on frontier forts. In 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-Third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; served fourteen months. Then returned to Calhoun County, Ill. In 1871, removed to Nebraska, locating in Brownsville, where he engaged in contracting and building until 1876, when he settled in Falls City and engaged in contracting and building. Has put up a number of business blocks and residences in the city. He was married in Pike County, Mo., in October, 1863, to Miss McBride. The have three children, John, Leroy and Mitchell.

   THOMAS McLANE, proprietor of ice cream garden; established by Manyer & McLane in March, 1882. Mr. McLane took entire charge in August, 1882. Mr. McLane was born in Johnstown, Cambria County, May 15, 1854. Received his education in his native town. In 1870, commenced learning the jewelry business. Was engaged some five years in this business in Pittsburgh, Pa. In May, 1878, he settled in Falls City, and engaged in the jewelry business about one year. Since that time until present business was established, has been employed as assistant in the Post office, with the exception of about one year spent in traveling.

   W. M. MADDOX, old resident, was born in Highland County, Ohio, August 5, 1825. His parents came originally from Virginia, and removed from there to Adams County, Ohio, and then to Highland County. In 1837, they moved to Blackford County, Ind., where the subject of this sketch received his schooling. About 1844, he started in life for himself; left home and went to Highland and Adams counties, Ohio. In the fall of 1853, he struck out West, wintered in Iowa, near Pella, and April 7, 1854, moved on a claim in Otoe County, Neb., two and one-half miles west of the site of the old town of Nebraska City, the first settler in the State of Nebraska. He remained here about two years, engaged in farming, and then moved to Richardson County, bought a claim and pre-empted it. Had sold the Nebraska City claim to a Major Downs. In April, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Fourth Regiment Missouri State Militia, and was elected First Lieutenant of his company. In August, 1862, he resigned by advice of the surgeon, on account of injuries received in an accident. Was then engaged for some months scouting in Southwest Missouri and Arkansas. Returned home in the fall of 1862, and in the spring of 1863 returned to the Fourth Regiment and remained with them until fall, though not really connected with the regiment. Returned home and was elected Sheriff of the county serving two years. Then engaged in the mercantile business until 1868. Since that time Mr. Maddox has devoted his entire time to his private affairs. He was married in Belmont County, Ind., November 13, 1844, to Miss Mary Blount of that county. She died in Otoe county, Neb., in February, 1855, leaving two children--Lavina, now Mrs. Theret, and John. Both are now residents of Wyandotte, Kas. Mr. Maddox was married again in Richardson County, Neb., October 4, 1855, to Miss Margaret Miller, a native of Kentucky. They have had twelve children of whom six survive. Francis, Maggie May, Anna Laura, Zilla Charlotte, Oscar and Grace Blanche. Mr. M. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the Falls City Lodge No. 9, and Eureka Chapter No. 5, A., F. & A. M.

   MAUST & SLOCUM, proprietors Elevator "A." This elevator is located at the Missouri Pacific railroad depot; was originally built by Keim and Maust, in 1873, they were succeeded by present firm, in capacity, 20,000 bushels. Mr. Elias A. Maust of the firm was born in Somerset County, Pa., March 23, 1839. He was educated in his native county and engaged in farming. He enlisted in 1863, in Company K, One-Hundred and Seventy-first Regiment, Pennsylvania State Militia. The command was mustered in November 1, 1863, to serve nine months. At the expiration of the time, they volunteered to continue in the service as long as there was an enemy north of the Potomac River. On his return home he again engaged in farming until 1870, in which year he settled in Falls City, Neb., and since that time has been actively engaged in the grain business. Mr. Maust was married in Somerset County, Pa., November 27, 1865, to Miss Savilla Miller of that county. They have two children, Irvin and Albert. Mr. M. is a member of the German Baptist Church.

   MARTIN & GILMAN, attorneys at law, firm organized in 1881. Francis Martin was born in Dublin, Ireland, April 2, 1844, where his father was engaged in mercantile business. His parents came to the United States in 1848, settling in Mercer County, Ill., they left young Francis with relatives in New York City, where he remained until about 1854, when he joined his parents in Illinois. He attended the University at Iowa City, Iowa, and in 1868, commenced to read law in Aledo, Ill. Was admitted to the bar in 1870, and engaged in practice in Aledo, until 1874, when he removed to Nebraska, settled in Falls City, and opened an office. Was elected County Judge in the fall of 1877, taking his seat January, 1878. At the expiration of his term he returned to the practice of his profession. He was married in Aledo, Ill., in May, 1872, to Miss Helen Pepper of Aledo. They have four children, Frank, born in January 1874; John born March 29, 1876; Thomas born in May, 1878; Clara, born September 14, 1880. Judge Martin was a member of the Constitutional Convention held at Lincoln, in 1875.

   ELZA MARTIN, local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church and farmer, Section 29, Falls City Precinct, settled on present place in 1870, has 160 acres in home farm devoted to grain and stock raising. Mr. Martin was born in Meigs County, Ohio, October 29, 1831. His parents moved to Holt County, Mo., and from there to Fremont County, Iowa. He received his education in Holt and Fremont counties. In 1855 he moved to Cass County, Neb., where he engaged in farming until about 1857, when he moved to California, where for seven years he engaged in farming and mining, two years of the time acting as local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1864 he returned to Iowa, where he preached about two years in the Hawleyville Circuit, and about six months on the Harlan Circuit. In 1869, he settled in Richardson County, Neb. Is now acting as local preacher under control of the presiding elder. Mr. M. has been twice married, his first wife was Miss Sarah Morris of Cass County, Neb., to whom he was married in Cass County December 16, 1854. She died in Iowa, in 1865, leaving four children, William H., Isaac M., Emma (now Mrs. B. Foster) and John. He was married to his present wife in Page County, Iowa, September 4, 1867. She was Miss Eliza A. Holland of Page County. They have two children, Eliza A. and George.

   J. M. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Falls City. Mr. M. is engaged in operating his mother's farm. It consists of 160 acres, and the crops raised are fed to stock, consisting of horses, cattle and hogs. Mr. Martin was born in Holt County, Mo., December 8, 1845. His parents moved to Fremont County, Iowa, when he was an infant. He was educated at Tabor College, Iowa, and in 1868, moved to Richardson County, Neb., with his parents. Shortly afterward he became an itinerant minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with a field in Nebraska and Iowa. In 1880, failing health compelled him to resign his chosen labors, he then took charge of the farm. He is still a member of the Des Moines Conference. Mr. Martin was married in Falls City, Neb., September, 1868, to Miss Margie Rhine of Falls City. They have four children, Zenas W., Crary J., Stella E., and Brunie C.

   WILLIAM MAST, attorney at law, was born in Hanover, Germany, March 27, 1835, received his education in Germany, and in 1865, emigrated to the United States and located in Missouri, from there went to Nebraska, in the spring of 1866, and settled in Richardson County. Was engaged in teaching school in Arago, about three years. In 1871, was elected Probate Judge, retaining his position two years. Was admitted to the bar in 1875, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1880, was appointed United States Commissioner, a position he still retains. He was married in Richardson County, Neb., April 16, 1868, to Miss Mary Bertram of that county. They have five children, Hedwig, Emilie, Herman, William, and Elmer D.

   W. T. MESS, veterinary surgeon, was born in Chicago, Ill., January 8, 1842. He was educated in the city; in 1864, commenced the study of his profession, which he continued until 1879, when he moved to Nebraska, locating in Crete. In 1880, settled in Falls City and engaged in practice. He was married in Chicago, Ill., April 23, 1875, to Miss Griffin of Chicago. They have two children, Flora and Willie. Mr. M. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

   DR. R. D. MESSLER, dentist, was born in Dayton, Ohio, October 6, 1849. His parents moved to Canton, Ohio, about 1852, and from there to Richardson County, Neb., in 1866. The subject of this sketch was educated at Eureka College, Woodford County, Ill. Commenced the study of his profession in Canton, Ill., in 1869. In 1873 he settled in Falls City and opened an office. Also visits other points in this State and Kansas. He was married in Falls City, Neb., in September, 1872 to Miss M. S. Stumbough, of Brown County, Kan. Dr. M. is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 13, I. O. O. F., also of the Good Templars.

   C. L. METTZ, agent American Express Co., was born in Calhoun County, Ill., December 19, 1839. His parents moved to Warren, Jo Daviess Co., about 1844. He learned the trade of harness maker, and followed it until 1862, when he enlisted in Company H, Ninety-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in 1865. In the latter part of the war he was attached to the Fourth Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. He returned to Illinois, and was engaged in the mercantile business for a time. In 1867 he moved to Nebraska, and located in Arago, Richardson Co. Worked at his trade about two years, then engaged in the dry goods business. In 1875, the business was moved to Falls City and continued under the name of Mettz Bros., and C. L. Mettz & Co., until 1880. He was appointed express agent in July, 1881. Mr. Mettz was married in Richardson County, Neb., March 2, 1873, to Miss Gentry, of that county. They have three children--Garth, Vye and Hiram. Mr. M. is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity. Is P. W. M. of lodge.

   E. E. METTZ, assistant cashier Richardson County Bank, was born in Calhoun County, Ill., January 28, 1842. In 1846 he removed with his parents to Lafayette, Wis., where he received his education. He enlisted in 1864 in the One Hundred and Forty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in 1865. In 1867, he removed to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County, where he engaged in selling agricultural implements at Arago. At the same place was interested for a short time in the Southern Nebraska, a paper in Arago. Then sold out. In 1872 he engaged in the sale of general merchandise in company with his brother and others, the firm name undergoing various changes. His brother drew out in 1880. The firm was then Tarpy & Mettz. Took present position in July, 1881, and closed out his mercantile business interest shortly after. Mr. M. was married in Warren, Ill., June 7, 1865, to Miss Helen R. Wyman, of Warren. They have three children--Lloyd E., Harry A., Winford E. Mr. M. is a member of the G. A. R., and is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity; being P. M., P. H. P. and P. E. C.

   MEYERS & FRY, dealers in sewing machines, organs, jewelry, watches, etc. Business established in 1879 by Mr. M. Present firm organized in the spring of 1882. They handle the Domestic, White and Howe sewing machines; Chicago Cottage and Estey organs. They carry a stock of almost $8,500, and occupy two floors 80x25 feet. Mr. W. H. H. Meyers, of the above firm, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., August 6, 1840. In 1855 he moved with his parents to Union, McHenry Co., Ill. Was engaged in teaching school for a time. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Fifteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was discharged on account of disability, caused by an accident, in 1862. Returned to Illinois and entered Evanston College. In 1864, he located at Marengo, where he learned the jewelry business, which he has since followed in various places. He was married in Otterville, Cooper Co., Mo., August 8, 1863, to Miss Jerusha Bolinger, of Otterville. They have one child--Minnie A. Mr. M. is a member of Veteran Post, No 84, G. A. R.

   MILLER & JENNINGS, real estate, loans and insurance. Business established in January 1882. They represent the Continental, of New York, Underwriters of New York, Hartford, of Hartford, Orient, of Hartford, Phoenix, of Brooklyn, North British and Mercantile, of London, British American, of Toronto, Union, of California, Fireman Fund, of California, and Mutual Life Insurance of New York. Fred W. Miller was born in Buffalo, N. Y., August 10, 1850. Educated in that city, and came to Richardson County Nebraska, with his parents, in 1864. He first commenced clerking in a general store in Arago in 1866, and continued in this business until 1872, when he was appointed Deputy County Treasurer and continued in that position. In the fall of 1875 was elected County Treasurer. Took possession of the office, January 1876, and held it one term. In 1874 he became interested in the clothing and boot and shoe business, and retained his interest while in the Treasurer's office; the firm being Rickards & Miller, then Miller & Moore, and then F. W. Miller. Sold out in 1879 and engaged in Government surveying until the present business was established. He was married in Arago, Richardson Co., Neb., December, 1873, to Miss Carrie Lange, of Arago. They have four children--Emma, Elizabeth, Ella, Fred. Mr. M is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity. Is also a member of the order of K. of P.

   J. W. MINNICK, dealer in dry goods and groceries, succeeded Dorington Bros., March, 1882; carried a stock of $6,000. Mr. Minnick was born in Coles County, Ill., July 13, 1837. When a boy he moved with his parents to Iowa County, Wis. He left home, and after locating in Kansas a few months, settled in Falls City, Neb., in 1857. First engaged in general occupations and about 1859 commenced farming. In 1860 removed to Nemaha County, and bought a farm. Sold out about two years and returned to Falls City. Engaged in farming for a time, and then in hotel business, keeping the old Farmer's Home. Since that time he has been engaged in different branches of mercantile business. During the war he was connected with the Second Regiment, Nebraska Volunteers Company, about nine months, enlisted in 1862. He was married in Falls City to Miss Marinda Corn, of Richardson County. They have five children: Alfred, Elmer, Isaac, Cora May, Ernest. Mr. Minnick is one of the charter members of Subordinate Lodge, No, 36, I. O. O. F.

   E. T. MINSHALL, farmer; farm is situated in Section 7, P. O. Falls City, and consists of 180 acres. His principal products are corn and hogs. Mr. Minshall was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, September 12, 1822. His parents moved to Floyd County, Ind., about 1832, where he received his schooling. For a time he was engaged in farming and mining near Galena, Ill. In 1857 he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County. In 1863 he enlisted in Company G., Second Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Infantry for one year. Was mustered out after serving fourteen months and returned home. He was married in Floyd County, Ind., October 24, 1844, to Miss Lamb of that county. They have eight children: Ewing, Emma J., now Mrs. Hutchins, John F., Elias W., Millard F., Joseph B., Charles G., Mary E., and Elmer T. Mr. Minshall is a member of the Christian Church.

   M. W. MUSSELMAN, of Hollebaugh & Musselman, grocers, was born in Somerset County, Pa., May 29, 1850. Received his education in his native county. About 1867 he moved to Lanark, Ill., where he engaged in clerking. In 1869 he moved to Nebraska, settled in Falls City, clerked in mercantile establishments until 1876; was then appointed Deputy County Clerk, a position he retained until January, 1882. He was married in Falls City, May 29, 1876, to Miss Irene Hollebaugh, of Falls City. They have three children: Ada May, Clarence Milton, Zola. Mr. M. is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 36, I. O. O. F., and the Temple of Honor.

   D. B. NEAL, dry goods, staple and fancy groceries. Business established in 1876, by W. E. Neal & Son. Mr. Neal has been alone since May, 1880. Carries a stock of $5,000 to $7,000. Mr. Neal was born in Maysville, Ky., October 23, 1856. Commenced clerking when fourteen years old and continued until this business was established. He was married in Maysville, Ky., October 10, 1875, to Miss Boughner, of Mayville. They have three children: Virginia, "brother," Fanny.

   DR. GEORGE H. NEAL, homeopathic physician, was born in Maysville, Mason Co., Ky., January 1, 1860. Attended school there until 1876, when he moved with father to Falls City, Feb. He attended the Pulte College, in Cincinnati, Ohio, and then entered the Hahneman College, Chicago, Ill., from which he graduated, February, 1881. He then returned to Falls City and commenced practice March 14, 1881. He was married in Falls City, September 29, 1881, to Miss Clara B. Reynolds, of Falls City. Dr. Neal is a member of the Falls City Literary Society.

   W. E. NEAL, retired, was born in Maysville, Ky., February 10, 1826. His parents were old residents of that section. His father came originally from Pennsylvania; his mother was Virginia. The subject of this sketch was educated in Maysville. He engaged in farming in Mason County until 1869, when he commenced mercantile business in which he continued until 1876. He then moved to Nebraska, settled in Falls City, and engaged in mercantile business in partnership with his son until 1879; since that time looks after his private real estate interests. He was married in Bracken County, Ky., December 11, 1855, to Miss Lizzie Humlong of that county. She died, leaving two children: Dwight B., and George H. He was married to his present wife in Falls City, Neb., October 1, 1872. She was Mrs. Sue V. Kirk Mann, the widow of W. H. Mann, County Clerk, a number of years. Mr. Neal is a member of the Christian Church, also of Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M., and of the Good Templars.

   LEVI NEDROW, farmer, has a home farm of 160, and an outlying farm of 80 acres; raises some small grain, principally corn, which he feeds to hogs and cattle. He was born in Somerset County, Pa., January 8, 1826. In 1854, he located in Carroll County, Ill., where he remained engaged in farming until 1869, in which year he settled on his present place. Mr. N. was married in Somerset County, Pa., in June, 1848, to Miss Meyers, of that county. They have nine children living--Mary A., now Mrs. Wicks; Henry, Sarah, now Mrs. Ewin; Joseph, Lizzie, now Mrs. Minshall; Simon, Maggie, Sylvester, and Catherine. Mr. N. is a member of the Dunkard Church.

   A. NEITZEL, manager Falls City Marble Works. This establishment is a branch of Charles Neidhart's of Brownville, and was established in the spring of 1876. A. Neitzel was born in Manitowoc, Wis., December 14, 1858; came to Nebraska with his parents in 1860, and located in Arago, Richardson County. He attended school there, and in 1876 went to Brownville and entered the employ of Mr. Neidhart; was appointed to the present position in 1881.

   W. R. NELSON, contractor and builder; business established in 1874. As a sample of Mr. Nelson's work, we may enumerate the residences of Messrs. George A. Bell and Edward Bell, Mr. Shelly, Mr. Hays, in town, and John Shortlege, T. K. Mitchell, A. Franklin and August Suess, in the country. Mr. N. was born in Urbana, Champaign Co., Ill., August 16, 1845. He lost his mother when he was young. His father moved to Cedar County, Iowa, in 1855, and from there in 1866 to Holt County, Mo. The subject of this sketch was educated in Illinois and Iowa. In 1863, he enlisted in Company G, Sixteenth Regiment, Iowa Veteran Volunteer Infantry; was captured at Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1864; at the time of the death of Gen. McPherson, was with the General. He was sent to Andersonville Prison, and remained there until exchanged, October 16, 1864. After leaving the convalescent camp, he rejoined his regiment and served until mustered out, participating in the march to the sea. In August, 1865, he returned to Iowa and learned the carpenter's trade there and in Holt County, Mo. In 1869, he settled in Falls City, Neb., and worked at his trade until present business was established, in 1870. Mr. N. was married in Falls City, Neb., August 10, 1870, to Miss Susan Keim, of Somerset County, Pa. They have three children--Lillie M., Sarah J., Lottie. Mr. N. is a member of the G. A. R., I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment, A., F. & A. M., the latter of Missouri; the K. of P.; was Vice-Chancellor of the latter.

   NEWMAN & PEREAU, general store; business established by Mr. Newman in 1871; present firm was organized in 1882. They carry a stock of about $5,000. M. J. Newman was born in Prussia, August 22, 1836. In the fall of 1853, he came to the United States; located in New York City. Since that time he has been engaged in mercantile business exclusively, commencing in a small in New York City, and afterward engaged in business in New York State, Indiana, Florida and Missouri. From the latter State he removed to Nebraska, in 1871, settled in Falls City, and established present business. He was married in Chicago, Ill., in October, 1865 to Miss Marks, of that city. They have four children--Jake, Etta, Albert, Ida. Mr. N is a member of the Sons of Covenant, of Quincy, Ill.

   JOSEPH O'PELT, proprietor Union House; under present management since March, 1882. The hotel is a frame building, four stories high, and contains thirty-six rooms. Mr. O'Pelt was born in St. Louis, Mo., May 20, 1840. In 1855, he settled in Nemaha County, Neb., engaged in farming for a time, then opened a restaurant in Brownville. About 1870, he went to Phelps City, Mo., and opened the "Phelps House;" remaining there until about 1873, when he returned to Brownville, Neb.; kept the Union Hotel for a time, then opened the Marsh House, which he continued to run until 1879, when he removed to Lincoln, Neb., and opened the Arlington House; ran this house until June, 1881, then sold out, and shortly after started a Herdic line in Lincoln; sold out in the spring of 1882, and removed to Falls City. Mr. O'Pelt was married in Aspinwall, Nemaha Co., Neb., June, 1861, to Miss Jennie Murray, of Iowa. They have four children--Eva, Arthur, Eugene, Clyde.

   HON. GEORGE H. PEARSON, County Clerk, was born in Clinton County, Mo., December 7, 1839. He resided with his parents in Clinton, Buchanan and Holt counties. After leaving school engaged in farming. In 1864 he moved to Nebraska with his father and settled in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming. Was elected Sheriff in 1877 taking charge of the office in January, 1878. On the expiration of his term was re-elected to the position. Was elected to present office and took possession January, 1882. Mr. Pearson was married in Forest City, Holt County, Mo., November 27, 1873, to Miss Maggie Wiggins, of Forest City. Mrs. Pearson died in Falls City in 1875. Was married to his present wife in Falls City, Neb., February 27, 1879. She was Miss Lizzie Jones of Falls City. Mr. Pearson is a member of the Christian Church. He is also a member of Falls City Lodge No. 9, A., F. & A. M., Eureka Chapter, No. 5, of which he is Scribe, and Mount Sinai Commandery No. 8, all of Falls City.

   J. K. PEARSON, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Falls City. Settled on present place in 1879. Has 250 acres in the home farm devoted to grain and stock. Feeds up all of his coarse grain. Mr. P. was born in Buchanan County, Mo., March 29, 1843. His parents moved to Holt County about 1855 and in 1864 they settled in Richardson County, at a place now known as "Pearson's Point." J. K. has always been engaged in farming. He was married in Richardson County, September 18, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth F., daughter of Joseph Forney. They have four children, Joseph A., Ida B., James W., George B. Mr. P. is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A., F & A. M., and of the School Board.

   T. W. PEPOON, the present editor of the Falls City Journal, was born in Lake County, Ohio, on August 29, 1836, but is of Connecticut stock, his father coming from that State in 1804. In 1850 he moved to Jo Daviess County, Ill., where he remained until 1869, when he purchased a farm in Pawnee County, on which he resided until his purchase of a one-half interest in the Globe-Journal, now the Journal, in September, 1881. From Pawnee County he was elected, in 1876, to the State Legislature, in which he took an active interest. For two years he was a postal clerk on the Union Pacific Railway, and had his headquarters at Kearney. He is an ardent Republican of the Radical type, and is earnest in his efforts to make his paper the exponent of his ideas.

   JOSEPH H. PEREAU, of Newman & Pereau was born in St. Charles, Mo., July 7, 1839. Was educated there and learned the printing business. In 1857 he left home and went across the plains to California where he engaged in mining principally. From there he went to Mexico, where he engaged in the war against Maximilian. After leading a very exciting life in the State of Sonora and other portions of Mexico he made his way to Central America, from there to Cuba, then to the United States again. In 1867 was superintendent of a mine at Austin, Nevada. Then returned to St. Louis, Mo., where he was employed on the mail list of the Missouri Republican. In 1869 he established in St. Charles, Mo., the St. Charles News, a Democratic paper. Continued publishing this until 1871, when he sold out. In the fall of 1871 he settled in Richardson County, Neb., and engaged in farming until the spring of 1882 when he settled in Falls City and engaged in the mercantile business. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., September 5, 1867 to Martha P. Pereau. They have three children, Joseph Charles, Agnes Cecelia and Angeline Theresa. Mr. P. is a member of the Catholic Church.

   REV. T. W. PINKERTON, pastor Christian Church, was born in Mount Sterling, Montgomery Co., Ky., August 22, 1853. His parents were old residents of that section. They moved to Saline County, Mo., in 1868 where they settled on a farm. The subject of our sketch received his preliminary schooling in Kentucky. In 1873 he entered the classical department of Oskaloosa College, at Oskaloosa, Iowa. His first charge was at Kirkville, Iowa. He then spent some months evangelizing in Kansas. In January, 1878, he removed to Kearney, Neb., where he supplied until he moved to Falls City. Took charge of that parish November 10, 1878. He was married in Wapello County, Iowa, September 5, 1875, to Miss Willis of that county. They have two children, Harry and Nell. Mr. P. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Iowa and of the Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M., and the I. O. of G. T.

   JOSEPH PORTRAY, farmer, P. O. Falls City. Mr. P. owns 665 acres of land in Richardson County, renting all but 40 acres that are attached to his homestead. He is a native of Ohio, having been born in Putnam County, January 13, 1836. His parents moved to Allen County, Ohio, about 1842. He was born and raised on a farm and followed this business in Ohio until 1863 when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County and engaged in farming until he moved to Falls City in 1882. Mr. Portray was married in Allen County, Ohio, April 12, 1858, to Miss Mary A. Steppick, of Van Wert County, Ohio. They have seven children, Caroline, Nicholas, John, Michael, Lucy, Mary and Charles.

   GEORGE E. POWELL, Powell, House & Co., was born in Cumberland County, N. J., July 28, 1842. He was educated at the Freehold Institute, Monmouth County, and about 1860 commenced clerking in a hardware store in Jersey City, N. J. His parents having moved there, in the interim. In 1864 he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-seventh Regiment, New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, for hundred-day service. Was promoted to Second Sergeant and served until mustered out, some five months later. Returned home and resumed clerking in which he continued until 1867, when he removed to Nebraska, settled in Omaha, and engaged in dry goods business under firm name of Allen & Powell. About three years later he removed to Falls City, and formed a partnership with T. J. Brannan, sold out his interests in fall of same year. In 1873 he organized the firm of Powell & Cain, to which the present firm are successors. He was married in Squaw, Monmouth County, N. J., February 22, 1865, to Miss Marietta Brannan of that county. They have four children--Allie, Jennie, William, Harry. Mr. P. was a member of the City Council two terms. He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic Fraternity, being Recorder of Mount Sinai Commandery, No. 8. He is also "D. D. G. C." in K. of P.

   POWELL, HOUSE & CO., general store. Present firm organized in January, 1882. They have a store, twenty-five feet front, and 100 feet deep, and carry a stock of from $7,000 to $12,000. D. R. House was born in New Albany, Ind., February 3, 1849. His father was a native of Kentucky and mother of Indiana. They moved to Kansas in 1870. The subject of this sketch was born and brought up on a farm; was educated at Jeffersonville, Ind., and remained with his parents until 1875, when he settled in Falls City, Neb., where he engaged in clerking for Powell & Cain. About 1879 he went to Brown County, Kan., and engaged in farming until 1881, when he returned to Falls City and again connected himself with Powell & Cain, and continued with them until the present firm was organized. He was married in Clarke County, Ind., September 5, 1870, to Miss Maggie Stacy, of Clark County. They have two children--John H. and Emma Grace. Mr. H. is a member of the Christian Church.

   POWELL & SAPP, stock dealers. Business established in 1880. They shipped in 1881 about 110 cars of stock. W. R. Sapp was born in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, August 13, 1855. His father was the Hon. W. R. Sapp, a law partner of Secretary Delano, and was twice a member of Congress. William R. was educated at the Ohio Wesleyn University, and in 1876, came to Nebraska, stopping a short time in Council Bluffs, Iowa. He settled in Falls City, and for a time was employed in the railroad office; then engaged in buying stock for Plankinton & Armour, of Kansas City; shortly after engaged in business for himself.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index