KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Richardson County
Produced by
Pam Rietsch.


PART 1:



Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860

PART 2:


Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads

PART 3:


Falls City:   First Permanent Residents | City Officials
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
County Buildings

PART 4:



Falls City (conts.):   Banks | Manufacturing Interests
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
Churches

PARTS
 5 ~ 9:

Biographical Sketches:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL
RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY

PART 10:


Humboldt:   Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.

PART 11:
Humboldt:   Biographical Sketches
PART 12:


Rulo:   Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches

PART 13:

Dawson:   Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches

PART 14:

Salem:   Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches

PART 15:





Arago:   Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston

List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter


Part 5


   

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
ADAMS ~ FRY

   W. R. ADAMS & CO., dealers in groceries and provisions, business established in October, 1881. W. R. Adams was born in Clinton County, Ohio, June 23, 1850. Attended school in Clinton and Fairfield counties, and in 1865 removed to Huntsville, Ala. In 1871 he removed to Richardson County, Neb., and engaged in farming. Two years later removed to Western Nebraska, remaining about two years; then returned and settled in Falls City, where he engaged in real estate and insurance business until the organization of present firm. He was married in Falls City, Neb., September 26, 1876, to Miss Alice Dilts, of Canton, Ill. They have two children, Georgia and Grace. Mr. Adams is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 13, I. O. O. F.

   JOHN E. ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Falls City. Mr. Anderson has a fine farm of 240 acres in Falls City Precinct. His specialty is corn, which he feeds up to stock. He has some blooded hogs and cattle. He was born in Platte County, Mo., January 24, 1848; was born and raised on a farm. About 1860 removed to Holt County, Mo., and in 1864 settled in Richardson County, Neb. He was married in Richardson County, Neb., September 20, 1875, to Miss Martha J. Jones. They have four children living, Almeda, James R., Vivien G. and an infant unnamed.

   HENRY BEACHEL, retired, was born in Snyder County, Pa., January 17, 1842. He was educated in his native county and learned the plastering trade. About 1860 he moved to Seneca County, Ohio, where he worked at his trade and also engaged in farming until 1864, when he moved to Nebraska, settled in Richardson County and engaged in farming until 1880, when he moved to Falls City. Mr. Beachel was married in Seneca County, Ohio, February 25, 1864, to Miss Harriet Heater, of that county. They have one child, Emerson G.

   BAUER & NEIKIRK, Bags and fancy goods; present firm organized March 3, 1882, succeeding Custer & Minnick, John Bauer was born in Mecklenberg, Germany, October 12, 1826; came to the United States in 1854, locating in New York State; moved from there eighteen months later to McHenry County, Ill., where he remained engaged in farming until 1864; in that year he settled in Richardson County, Neb., engaged in farming. In 1874 added stock raising interests, which he still retains; came to Falls City, March 1, 1882. Mr. Bauer was married in McHenry County, Ill, in September, 1858 to Miss Mary Kukuck, a native of Germany. Mrs. Bauer died in February, 1881, leaving ten children: Hans, John, Annie, Ella, Mary, Sophie, Louisa, Eliza, Betty, Annetta.

   P. E. BEARDSLEY, official stenographer of the First District, appointed to present position in 1879. He is a native of New York State and was born in Cattaraugus County, February 16, 1831. He was educated in his native county. About 1856, he settled in Whitesides County, Ill. Moved from there to Henry County, where he remained until he settled in Nebraska in 1859. His first location in the State was at Weeping Water, Cass Co., where he engaged in farming until about 1868; he then returned to New York, returning to Nebraska, in the spring of 1871, and settled at Lincoln, Lancaster County. In 1872 was appointed State Land Commissioner to select indemnity school lands. During his term of office, about one year, he selected 50,000 acres of land; and after this connected with the Lincoln papers until about 1874; in 1875 became connected with the State Grange as secretary of the Relief Association. On the expiration of the association he was appointed secretary of the State Grange, a position he retained until he moved to Falls City, in 1879, to take his present position. Mr. Beardsley has been married twice; his first wife was Miss Emma S. Wells, of Henry County, Ill., to whom he was married on February 16, 1857, in Henry County. She died, leaving no children. He was married in Weeping Water, Cass Co., Neb., June 10, 1868, to Miss Ellen M. Reed, of that town. They have one child, Joseph P. Mr. Beardsley is a member of the I. O. O. F., A., F. & A. M., and the T. of H.

   E. BEAVER, proprietor, Falls City Nursery, Section 31, P. O. Falls City. Mr. Beaver settled on present place in 1871. He has eighty acres of land, thirty-five of which are set out in fruit of all kinds. His orchards contain about 3,000 peach trees, 1,500 apple; also cherries and pears; also small fruits of all kinds. He makes this a specialty. Mr. Beaver was born in Ross County, Ohio, November 11, 1829. His parents moved to Pickaway County, Ohio, while he was young. About 1843, he located in Fulton County, Ill., where he remained engaged in farming until 1863, when he moved to Nebraska and settled in Falls City, where he engaged in nursery business. During the Indian troubles he served in the State troops. Mr. Beaver was married in McDonough County, Ill., August 22, 1856, to Miss Amanda Foster, of Fulton County, Ill. They have three children living: Ida, Louis Q., and Wendell. Mr. B. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   BELL & SHELLY, drugs and stationery. Business established about 1873 by G. A. Bell. The firm was then made Bell Brothers and they were succeeded by the present firm in 1879. T. C. Shelley was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, December 27, 1843. In 1855 he removed with his parents to Stephenson County, Ill., where he received his education. Enlisted in 1861 in Company C, Seventeenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry and served until the expiration of term of enlistment--three years. In 1864, he organized a company of volunteers who were mustered into the service as Company H, Fifteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry of which he was commissioned First Lieutenant and served until the close of the war. Returned to Stephenson County where he engaged in the drug business and in 1866 removed to Tama County, Iowa, continuing in same business. In 1871 he moved to Nebraska and settled in Falls City and engaged in the drug business which he continued until 1875, when he sold out and went to California where he engaged in mercantile pursuits. Remained about four years and then, after a short time spent in Cawker City, Kan., returned to Falls City in 1879 and entered present firm. He was married in Tama County, Iowa June 21, 1869, to Miss Mattie Bell, of that county. They have one child, Ora Pearl. Mr. S. is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. He is King of Eureka Chapter No. 85. Eminent Commander of Mount Sinai Commandery No. 8, and has held most of the junior offices. He is also Junior Vice Commander of Veteran Post No. 84, G. A. R.

   N. J. BERKLEY, farmer, P. O. Falls City, was born in Somerset County, Pa., June 5, 1856. His parents were old residents of that county. In 1864 they moved to Carroll County, Ill. N. J. was educated in Lanark, Ill., and engaged in farming and dealing in agricultural implements until he moved to Nebraska. The later years in business for himself. In the fall of 1880 he settled in Richardson County and has since engaged in farming, principally. Mr. Berkley was married in Carroll County, Ill., July 17, 1880, to Miss Sue M. Myers, a native of Somerset County, Pa. Mrs. Berkley died in Richardson County, leaving one child, Chester Arthur. Mr. B. is a prominent member of the German Baptist Church.

   A. M. BLAKESLEY, proprietor B. & M. R. R. eating house. House built in 1881. Bought by Mr. B. in 1882. Is 40x50, two story frame building containing eleven rooms. Has four daily passenger trains. Mr. B. was born in Water Valley, Erie Co., N. Y., August 8, 1839. His parents moved to Jackson County, Iowa, overland, by wagon, in 1846, where Mr. B. remained until the fall of 1858, going from Jackson County to Omaha, Neb., where he accepted a position on one of the trains at that time engaged in freighting across the plains. Eighteen months later he engaged in business for himself as freighter and continued in that business several years. In August, 1863, he opened the Elk Horn Hotel, at Elk Horn City, Douglas Co., Neb., which he conducted for almost to years. He then bought a ranch to miles east of Elk Horn and continued in business in connection with farming until 1873. He then took the Pacific Hotel at Fremont, Dodge Co., Neb., which he managed for about four years. Then, on his return from a trip to the Black Hills, opened the Blakesley Hotel at Fairmont, Fillmore Co., Neb., Three years later he erected a hotel at Indianola, Red Willow Co., Neb., where he remained until removing to Falls City. Mr. B. was married at Elk Horn City, Neb., October 6, 1863, to Miss Hattie J. Leach, of Washington County, Neb. They have five children, Ada, Bertie, Clark, King, and Bernice. Mr. B. is indeed an old timer, seeing the first railroad track laid in Chicago and was present when the first locomotive entered Iowa, at Clinton, almost thirty years ago, the locomotive being taken across the river on the ice. Mr. B. is a member of the Centennial Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F., of Fremont, Neb.

   J. C. BOWEN, hardware, stoves and tinware. Business established here in October, 1881. Carries a stock of about $5,000. Mr. B. was born in Bourbon County, Ky., November 12, 1839. Was educated in his native county, and in 1857 removed with his parents to Edgar County, Ill. In 1870 he engaged in the milling business in Effingham, Ill, under the firm name of Alt & Bowen. Sold out in 1880, and engaged in the hardware business. In the following year he removed his store to Falls City. He was married in Effingham, Ill., August 31, 1871, to Miss Kate Gilmore, a native of Indiana. They have four children--Mary, Lizzie, Maggie, Kate. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Illinois.

View
[RESIDENCE OF HON. P. W. BIRKHAUSER.]

   BIRKHAUSER & DAVIS, stock, grain and agricultural implements. They represent Champion reapers and mowers, Aultman thresher, Farmers' friends planters and rakes, and the manufactures of Eagle goods, B. D. Buford & Co., N. C. Thompson & Co., Keystone Manufacturing Co., Turnbull & Bain wagons, Abbott & Racine carriages. Present firm organized February 11, 1882. P. W. Birkhauser was born in Prussia, September 1, 1839. Came to the United States with his parents in 1849 and settled near Milwaukee, Wis., where he received his education. Mr. B. was raised on a farm and afterwards learned the miller's trade. He removed to Kansas and engaged in farming near Troy, and in 1868 settled in Richardson County, Neb., in Salem, where he bought a grist and saw mill. He operated this some time and then rented it. The property being destroyed by fire he rebuilt it and sold out. In 1876 he removed to Falls City and engaged in the drug business for a time, then in stock and grain. The latter he continued about three years when he disposed of his interests and has since been engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and the management of his farm. He was married in West Bend, Wis., December 31, 1863 to Miss Ellen, the third daughter of the Rev. C. B. Waller, a prominent minister. They have two children living, DeMaris Beatrice, and Florence. Mr. B. was a member of the State Senate for two terms, the winters of 1877 and 1878, and 1879 and 1880.

     MAJOR J. E. BURBANK, retired, was born in Hanover, Adams Co., Pa., August 20, 1822. His father, Isaac Burbank, was a native of Vermont. His mother, who was Miss Elizabeth Troxel, is a descendant of one of the Huguenot families who settled in Maryland in an early day. They moved to Indiana about 1828. The subject of this sketch was educated at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, at the same time teaching school in the winters. His health failing, he returned home, and was for a time in his father's store. Was for about five years in a wholesale mercantile house in Baltimore, Md., then returned home and engaged in speculating in real estate. In 1857, he removed to Nebraska and located the present town site of Falls City, pre-empting a piece of land. For two or three years he published the Broad Axe. Afterward sold out. In 1861 he went to Washington, D. C., and took a clerkship in the Department of the Interior. In 1863 he was appointed U. S. Paymaster, and continued in active service until 1875, when he was retired with the rank of Major. Since that time he has devoted his time to looking after his private real estate interests, and he is now a resident of Leavenworth, Kan, though in Falls City most of the time. He was married in Manchester, N. H., in October, 1862, to Miss Foss, of Manchester. They have two children--Annie and Josie. Major B. was a member of the Territorial Legislature of 1859-60. He is a brother-in-law of Gov. O. P. Morton and a brother of Gov. Burbank, of Dakota.

   DR. C. W. BRYSON, physician and surgeon, is a native of Boone County, Mo. He received his preparatory education in the University of Missouri, and then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa. Graduated in February, 1882. In March, 1882, he settled in Falls City, Neb., and commenced the practice of his profession.

   J. R. CAIN, County Treasurer, was born in Platte County, Mo., December 29, 1843. In 1856, he removed with his parents to St. Stephens, Richardson Co., Neb. His first employment was as a clerk in a mercantile establishment there and at Rulo, in the same county, about 1858, remaining only a few months in each town. He then returned to his father's farm. In 1866 he was appointed Deputy County Treasurer under Mr. D. R. Holt, continuing in this position until 1871, when he engaged in mercantile business in Falls City. Was elected County Treasurer in the fall of 1881, and took charge of the office in January, 1882. He was married in Covington, Ky., March 18, 1867, to Miss Mattie Kirk, a native of Mason County, Ky., where her parents resided. Mrs. Cain died January 9, 1882, leaving three children--Mary, Susan, James Robert. Mr. Cain is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Nebraska, Past Grand Secretary Grand Chapter, and Junior Warden Grand Commandery.

     REV. M. F. CAREY, pastor of St. Thomas Episcopal Church, is a native of Ireland. He was born in Tralee, County Kerry, December 23, 1841. Received his preliminary education in select schools, and in 1869 entered Trinity College. Received deacon's orders May 18, 1871, and was ordained to the priesthood by the Bishop of Kilmore, December 21, 1871. Came to the United States in 1881, and took charge of his present field May 28, 1881.

   CLEGG & VIOLS, proprietors "City Drug Store;" drugs, book and stationery. Business established in 1872 by T. C. Shelly. Mr. Robert Clegg bought him out in 1878, and the present firm was organized in November, 1880.

   ALEX COHN, proprietor of Falls City Cigar Manufactory. Business established in 1879. The yearly out-put runs from 100,000 to 150,000 cigars. Mr. Cohn was born in Prussia, March 2, 1848. Learned his trade in Prussia and followed it there until 1860, when he emigrated to the United States. He worked at his trade in New York City, Cincinnati and St. Louis until 1862, when he settled in Brownville, Neb. He ran a large factory there until 1875, when he moved to Hamburgh, Iowa. From there he moved to Falls City. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., March 25, 1872 to Miss Leah Morrell of that city. They have four children, Lulu, Max, Hannah and Dora. Mr. C. is a member of the German Society, and the Lodge and Encampment of the I. O. O. F.

   CROOK & NOONAN, livery and sale stables. Business established in 1877. They keep six to twelve teams. Firm composed of William H. Crook and J. H. Noonan. J. H. Noonan, Deputy Sheriff, was born in Vigo County, Ind., October 30, 1842. Educated in his native county. In 1863, was employed by the Government in removing Indians from Minnesota to Dakota. In 1865, he removed to Missouri, remaining about two years, and in 1868 settled in Richardson County, Neb.; bought a farm at the sale of the Indian Reservation, and for the following eight years engaged in farming. In 1877, he moved into Falls City and opened a livery stable. Was appointed Deputy Sheriff in March 1882. He was married in Vigo County, Ind., April 20, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth Jones, of that county. They have three children, William Edward, Ida May and Fred. Mr. N. is a member of the Falls City Lodge No. 9, A., F. & A. M.

   JESSE CROOK, old settler, was born in White County, Tenn., September 12, 1826. Remained there until 1853, when he moved to Andrew County, Mo. He was engaged in farming in these places. In 1854, in company with several others, he started out to look up a location in Nebraska. They landed at Iowa Point, Doniphan County, Kan., August 26, 1854; they struck out on the old California trail until they reached the Wolf River, then took a northwesterly course, looking for the Nemaha River. They camped where the town of Salem is now located, for two or three days, and then went up the north fork of the Nemaha River seven or eight miles and took claims. They then returned to Andrew County, Mo., by way of St. Deroin. In February, 1855, he returned and found his claim jumped. Then he took a claim about one-half a mile from the present town of Falls City. He brought his family out in the spring of 1845, and raised his first crop that year, and with others laid out the town of Archer, shortly after the first county seat in the State. The site was afterward decided to be the Indian Reservation. In 1857, he moved to Falls City, and built a hotel which he ran about two years, and then returned to his farm. In 1862, he finally settled in Falls City, where he has since remained. Mr. Crook was married in Jackson County, Tenn., to Miss Louise Whiteacre of that county. They have two children living, Sarah, now Mrs. Schoenheit, and William H.

   W. H. CROOK & CO., dealers in clothing and dry goods. Business established in 1879 by. H. Crook. They carry a stock of $15,000 to $20,000. William H. Crook was born in Putnam County, Tenn., April 9, 1851. In 1855, his parents removed to Nebraska (stopping en route in Missouri a short time), and settled in Richardson County, where they pre-empted a claim. William H. was educated at the State Normal School in 1868, and since that time has been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was married in Falls City, Neb., May 3, 1875, to Miss Lydia J. Worley, a native of Illinois. They have two children, John and William. Mr. C. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   T. C. CUNNINGHAM, Clerk of District Court, First Judicial District, was born in Marion County, Mo., near Hannibal, April 28, 1843. Removed with his parents to Lee County, Iowa, about 1846, where he was brought up and received his education. In 1857, he settled in Richardson County, Neb., and engaged in farming. In 1862, he enlisted in Company C, fifth Regiment Missouri Militia, and was mustered out in 1863, serving about eighteen months. Then re-enlisted in Company D, twelfth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served until April 9, 1866. The regiment was employed on frontier duty after close of the war. Mr. C. held the position of First Sargeant when mustered out. He then returned home and farmed until 1870, when he moved to Falls City and engaged in livery business. In the fall of 1873, was elected Sheriff and held the position two terms. In January, 1878, was appointed Clerk of District Court, and in 1880 was elected to the same position for a term of four years. He was married in Lincoln, Neb., May 5, 1875, to Miss Marion McElroy, of Lincoln. They have to children, Oscar M. and Pearl. Mr. C. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the K. of P.

   WILLIAM C. CUSTER, drugs, fancy goods, paints and oils. Business established in May, 1882. Mr. Custer was born in Somerset County, Pa., January 20, 1846. He there received his education. In 1863, he commenced the drug business in Ohio, and has followed it continuously almost since. In 1874, he settled in Falls City, Neb., and has since been in business in different firms. He was married in Somerset County, Pa., in 1870, to Miss Groff, of that county. They have three children living, Harry, Maggie and William C., Jr. Mr. C. is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity. He is also a member of the Falls City Lodge No. 13, I. O. O. F.

   EDWIN F. DAVIS, of Birkhauser & Davis, was born in Canton, Ohio, August 11, 1845. His parents moved to Tuscarawas County, when he was an infant. Mr. D. was educated in Otterbein University, Westerville, Ohio, and at the Iron City Commercial College of Pittsburgh, Pa. Graduating from the latter in 1865. Then went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and was connected with a wholesale and retail hardware house in that city about eighteen months, after which he removed to Henry County, Ohio, purchased a saw mill; ran this and also sold lumber. In 1869, sold out and removed to Cedar County, Iowa, where he bought a farm. From there he removed to Richardson County. In the spring of 1873, bought a farm and remained on it until he removed to Falls City, where the firm was organized. Mr. Davis was married in Napoleon, Henry Co., Ohio, September 10, 1867, to Miss Clara M. Brey, of Napoleon. They have seven children, Loyola L., Raphael F., Mary Glenn, Luzetta T., Edmee C., Anna Mantz and Helen F.

   H. C. DAVIS, editor of the Falls City News was born in Glasgow, Howard County, Mo., April 5, 1850, received his education at the High School there. In 1867, commenced his newspaper work on the Journal. In 1869 he moved to Hamburg, Fremont Co., Iowa, where he engaged in working on the Times until 1872, when he settled in Falls City, Neb., and worked on the Journal until June, 1875, when he took charge of the News. He was married in Hamburg, Iowa, December 27, 1870, to Miss Fannie L. Balby, of Hamburg. They have two children, Charles and Clyde. Mr. D. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Hamburg, Iowa. Is also a member of the K. of P.

   J. T. DELAWARE, contractor and builder, was born in Fairfax, Franklin Co., Vt., June 8, 1825. Received his schooling in St. Albans. In 1845, he went to Janesville, Wis., with a drove of horses. He commenced working at his trade in the car shops in St. Albans, Vt., followed it for ten years in Wisconsin, then returned home. One year later he located in Marengo, Ill., where he engaged in livery business about five years, then removed to Grant County, Wis., where he engaged in contracting and building. About 1860 or 1861 he went to California overland, returning to Wisconsin almost immediately. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, Thirty-third Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served under Gen. A. J. Smith, until June, 1865, when he was discharged on account of disability caused by wounds received at Spanish Fort, La. He returned to Wisconsin, and in 1866 removed to Nebraska, located in Omaha and engaged in contracting and building in company with his brother. In portions of the years 1867-68-69 engaged in selling fruit trees through Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico. In 1869 located at White Cloud, Kas. In 1875, removed to Nebraska, settled in Falls City and engaged in contracting and building. He was married in Grant County, Wisconsin, to Miss Elizabeth Wicks, of that county. She died, leaving two children. One son survives, Charles. He was married to his present wife in Council Bluffs, Iowa. She was Miss Annie M. Hoon, of Tipton, Iowa. They have one child, Vivie. Mr. D. is a member of the Falls City Lodge, No. 36 I. O. O. F. and Veteran Post No 84, G. A. R.

   J. L. DeWALD, of McCune & DeWald, contractors and builders, was born in Franklin County, Pa., October 18, 1839. His parents were old residents of that section. Was educated in his native county and learned his trade, which he followed in addition to teaching school until 1867, when he moved to Ogle County, Ill., where he engaged in contracting and building until he removed to Nebraska, in 1870. He settled in Falls City, and has since engaged in contracting and building. Since 1874 has also manufactured and sold the "Freeman Humboldt" washing machine. He was married in Chambersburg, Pa., September 3, 1861, to Miss Sue E. Wachtel of Washington County, Md. They have seven children, Lillie M., now Mrs. Sperry, Henry A., Otho W., Lydie B., Minnie, Carrie A., Pearl.

   DAVID DORRINGTON, old resident, was born in Hartfordshire, England, January 11, 1812. Was educated there, and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1842, he came to the United States, and located in Whitesboro, Oneida Co., N. Y., where he engaged in contracting and building. In 1857, he moved to Nebraska and settled in Falls City, engaging in contracting and building. Has also, since coming to Nebraska, taken a number of mail contracts, having two or three on hand most of the time. Was also engaged in mercantile business some four years. Was elected Justice of the Peace two or three terms and Mayor of the city several terms. He was married in Middlesex County, England, September 15, 1839, to Miss Anna B. Wood, a native of Essex County. They have six children, Fred, George, John, Annie, now Mrs. I. Reavis, William, Kittie, now Mrs. Towle. Mr. D. has been a member of the I. O. O. F., since 1844. Was one of the charter members of Falls City Lodge No. 13.

   GEORGE E. DORRINGTON, agent United States Express Company, and Pacific Express Company. Mr. D. was born in Whitesboro, Oneida Co., N. Y., December 26, 1843. His parents moved to Doniphan, Kan., and from there settled in Richardson County; in 1857. He received his schooling here and finished his education at the Douglas University, Chicago. He remained in Chicago, being employed by B. B. Hutchinson, in grain business, until 1870, when he returned to Falls City. Was in post office for a time, then engaged in mercantile business until lately. Was appointed agent Express Company, in June 1879, and to the Pacific, in January, 1882. Mr. D. was married in Falls City, Neb., November 5, 1872, to Miss Liva E. Hoover, of Luzerne County, Pa.

   J. B. DONER, of the firm of Doner & Wicks, contractors and builders, was born in Simcoe County, Canada, May 14, 1855. Was taught the carpenter's trade and followed it in Canada until 1877, when he settled in Brown County, Kan., following same business there. In 1881 settled in Falls City, Neb. The present firm was organized in March, 1882. Mr. D. was married in York County, Canada, June 19, 1877, to Miss Mary E. Heise, of that county. She died leaving one child, Louisa M. He was married to his present wife in Brown County, Kan., May 26, 1881. She was Miss Sadie A, Myers, of Carroll County, Ill.

   HON. ELMER S. DUNDY, Judge of the United States District Court, located in Richardson County, Neb., July 1857, and has lived there ever since. He is now a resident of Falls City, there were perhaps twenty-five people in that neighborhood when he went there. He represented Richardson County four years in the Territorial Legislature and practiced law. He was appointed Territorial Judge, in 1863. In 1868, he was appointed Judge of the United States District Court. He was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, March 5, 1830, and moved to Pennsylvania early in life, from there he came to Nebraska. He has been engaged in practice since 1852. He was married at Omaha, in 1863, to Miss Mary H. Robinson, a native of Ohio. They have three children, Elmer S., Mary May and Luna L. The Judge has been to Washington twenty-seven times on claim business. He opened and held the first term of the United States Court in Colorado. He now holds two terms of court at Omaha and one at Lincoln, each year. The terms are usually of about six weeks duration. The Judge has been engaged more or less in farming since coming to Nebraska.

   J. F. ELLIOTT, dealer in dry goods and millinery. Business established in January, 1882. Mr. Elliott was born in Washington County, Ind., May 2, 1842. He removed with parents to Davis County, Iowa, about 1851, where he received his schooling. He enlisted August 1, 1861, Company K, Fourth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, for one year. He re-enlisted February 5, 1864, in Company G, Second Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged June 21, 1865, on account of disability, caused by wounds received at Big Lynch Creek, S. C. He was attached to the Fifteenth Army Corps, under Gen. Sherman. He returned to Iowa, and engaged in mercantile business in Glenwood, from there moved to Terre Haute, Ind. About 1873, he moved to Centralia, Mo., from this time until he came to Nebraska, was engaged in mercantile business in Iowa, Indiana and Kansas, from the latter he moved to Nebraska, in 1879, and settled in Falls City, where he engaged in buying and shipping stock until present business was established. He was married in Columbia, Boone Co., Mo., July 29, 1874, to Miss Florence A. Free of Boone County. They have two children, Augusta and Louis B. Mr. E. is a member of Veteran Post, No 84, G. A. R.

   ABRAHAM ELWELL, farmer, is a native of Indiana. He was born in Union County, May 19, 1826, his parents were old residents of that section (they were natives of New Jersey), his father was soldier in the war of 1812. The subject of this sketch was educated in Ohio and Indiana, he moved to Knox County, Ill., with his parents about 1853, he engaged in farming for some years, and then took up the photographing business, which he followed until his health failed. He was one of the many who sought the hidden treasures of Pike's Peak, in 1859, and failed, but struck gold in securing a piece of Richardson County rich prairie, on which he subsequently made a comfortable home. Moved on it with his family in 1868, and engaged in farming and raising hedge plants, till the spring of 1881, when he moved into Falls City. Mr. Elwell was married in Putnam County, Ohio, February 28, 1850, to Miss Martha Elwell of that county. They have three children living, Jeremiah E. (now living in Washington County, Kan.), Alice (now Mrs. H. Pettock), Lizzie (now Mrs. A. L. Stetler). Mr. E. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   EVERTS BROS., farmers, Section 21, P. O. Falls City. They have at present 960 acres of land, which they expect to increase to 1,100 acres within the year. The crops at present are principally grain, though grass has been sown and their intention is to make their place the leading stock farm of this section. Their herd now consists of 100 yearling cattle. J. S. Everts of the firm is a native of New York State, he was born in Cattaraugus County, March 25, 1844. His parents moved to Geneva, Ill., about 1853, where he received his education, and afterward engaged in farming until 1867, in which year he moved to Philadelphia, Pa., and became connected with the firm Everts, Ensign & Everts, with whom he continued until the spring of 1882, when he settled in present place. Mr. E. was married in Geneva, Ill., January 1, 1869, to Miss Marietta Abbott of Geneva. They have two children, Naomi and Ruth.

   EDWIN FALLOON, attorney at law, was born in St. Clairsville, Belmont Co., Ohio, July 26, 1853, resided with his parents in Wheeling, W. Va., and Athens County, Ohio, was educated at the Ohio University. In April, 1878, commenced reading law, and shortly afterward removed to Hiawatha, Kan., continuing his studies in his brother's office there. Was admitted to the bar in October, 1880, and in March, 1882, settled in Falls City, Neb., and engaged in the practice of his profession.

   JOSEPH FORNEY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Falls City, settled of his present place, in 1870. There are 240 acres in the home farm and 235 acres outlying. Mr. F. is not now actively engaged in farming his lands with but small exception being rented. He was born in Harrison County, Ohio, May 19, 1824. His parents were old residents of that county; when Joseph was two or three years old, they moved to Wayne County, where he was educated and learned the carpenter trade. He followed his trade in Ohio, and actively engaged it in Holt County, Mo., where he moved in 1851. In the fall of 1855, he moved to Richardson County, Neb., and settled four and one-half miles east of Falls City, from that time until about 1875, he was actively engaged in farming. Mr. Forney was married in Wayne County, Ohio in 1836, to Miss Mary Breninger of that county. She died in Holt County, in 1851, leaving two children, Rebecca J. (now Mrs. Charles Wyett), Elizabeth F. (now Mrs. J. K. Pearson). He was married to his present wife in Holt County, Mo., June 2, 1854, she was Miss Eliza J. Coon, a native of Richland County, Ohio. They have four children, Peter F. George W., Thomas A. and Nettie M.

   PETER F. FORNEY, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Falls City. Is operating about one hundred acres, and is raising both grain and stock, intending to go into the latter exclusively. Mr. F. was born in Holt County, Mo., November 18, 1854. His parents moved to Richardson County, Neb., the following year. He was educated in Richardson County and has since resided here. He was married in Richardson County, September 14, 1876, to Miss Clara J. Kinsey, of that county. They have two children--Dottie E. and Gracie.

   CHRISTIAN FORNEY, minister of the German Baptist Church and farmer. Has a farm of 240 acres, which he devotes to both grain and stock--the latter consisting of cattle and hogs. Mr. Forney was born in Somerset County, Pa., October 10, 1838. He was educated in his native county and taught school one term. In 1858 he removed to Carroll County, Ill., and remained there engaged in farming and teaching school until 1869, in which year he settled on his present place. Mr. F. was married in Carroll County, Ill., September 11, 1869, to Miss Sabina Meyers, of Somerset County, Pa. They have seven children--Simon C., Ida M., Agnes M., Stanley E., Milton W., John C. and Edna Pearl.

   M. A. FRANK, Postmaster, was born in Perry County, Pa., June 21, 1821. Received his schooling in Perry County, and was brought up principally in Clearfield, Pa., where in his early years he engaged in tailoring. Was elected Justice of the Peace, and held this position some eight years, and was afterward appointed Postmaster at Clearfield, retaining the position about six years. In 1868, he removed to Nebraska, and settled in Falls City, and was shortly afterward appointed state Emigration agent. November 10, 1873, he was appointed Postmaster, a position he has since retained. Mr. F. was married in Perry County, Pa., January 28, 1841, to Miss Elizabeth Mapes. She died leaving five children--Mary R., now Mrs. W. H. Swartz; Margaretta A.; Clara L. V., now Mrs. E. W. Howe; Alvin L.; Elmer D.; Clerk U. S. District Court. He was married to his present wife at Johnstown, Pa., August 1877. She was Miss Millie W. McLane. They have one child--Thomas A. Mr. F. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Pennsylvania, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

   A. L. FRY, of Meyers & Fry, was born in Stark County, Ohio, September 6, 1841. Moved with his parents to Stephenson County, Ill., about 1851. In 1861 he enlisted in the First Regiment Minnesota Mounted Rangers, under Gen. Sibley. Served one year on the frontier against Indians. Mustered out and returned to Stephenson County. In 1869 he settled in Nemaha County, Neb., where he engaged in farming and stock-raising, until February 1882, when he settled in Falls City. He was married in Stephenson County, Ill., January 22, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth A. Kleckner, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children--Gailen K., Alice A., Pearly E. Mr. F. is a member of an Illinois Post G. A. R.




Top of Page   First Page   Back   Next

County Index