KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS


Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Richardson County
Produced by
Pam Rietsch.


PART 1:



Natural Resources | Early History | Stephen Story | A Severe Winter
Pioneer Hunters | Lynch Law for Horse-Thieves
The Half-Breed Line | The County Seat Troubles
The Killing of Davis and Meek | County Roster | the Epidemic of 1860

PART 2:


Claim Jumping | The Jayhawkers of '62 | The Underground Railway
The Grasshopper Scourge | Defunct Towns | War Record
Milling Interests | Railroads

PART 3:


Falls City:   First Permanent Residents | City Officials
Postal Business | The Press | Fire Record | Societies
County Buildings

PART 4:



Falls City (conts.):   Banks | Manufacturing Interests
The Grain Business | Pork Packing | Falls City Hotels
Hinton's Driving Park | Public Schools | The Public School Building
Churches

PARTS
 5 ~ 9:

Biographical Sketches:
ADAMS ~ FRY | GALLAGHER ~ KREKER | LEE ~ POWELL
RANDALL ~ STRETCH | TARPLEY ~ YUTZY

PART 10:


Humboldt:   Early Events | Railway Interests | The Public School
Churches | The Press | Societies | Hotels | Banks and Bankers
Manufacturing Interests, Etc.

PART 11:
Humboldt:   Biographical Sketches
PART 12:


Rulo:   Charles Rouleau | Elie Bedard
Early Events | The Press | Business Interests | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches

PART 13:

Dawson:   Early History | The Cyclone | Societies | Churches
Business Interests | The Old Mill | Biographical Sketches

PART 14:

Salem:   Early History | Hotels | The Public Schools
Churches | Societies | Business Interests | Biographical Sketches

PART 15:





Arago:   Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:
Porter Precinct | Ohio Precinct | Franklin Precinct | Liberty Precinct
Speiser Precinct | Barada Precinct | Preston

List of Illustrations in Richardson County Chapter


Part 15


ARAGO.

   Arago, located on the Missouri, a short distance above St. Stephens, was formerly the property of Stephen Story, and was sold by him to a party of Germans who laid it out as a town. Apropos of this place is found an act of the Territorial Legislature approved January 10, 1860, in which Arago was made a city and duly incorporated and it is recorded "there shall be chosen annually, on the first Monday in February, a Mayor, six aldermen and other officers." If the place had a mayor, a city police and other officials the fact has escaped the memory of the oldest residents. At the present time it is a post office, the center of a thickly settled farming community.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

   HENRY FISCHER, ex-member of the State Legislature and farmer, Section 13, P. O. Arago; located on his present farm in 1870. There are 160 acres in the home farm, and fifty acres outlying. He devotes his attention to stock principally. Mr. F. was born in Saxony, Altenburg, December 29, 1832; learned the mason's trade and followed it in the old country until 1852, when he emigrated to America, and settled in Upper Canada, working there at his trade until he moved to Nebraska, in 1859. He settled in Arago, Richardson County, and engaged in the masonry work until 1870, when he moved on the present farm. He was married in Buffalo, N. Y., April 7, 1857, to Miss Emily Buckmann, of Buffalo. They have nine children Charles, George, Henry, William, Emily, Louis, Annie, Louisa, Frederick. Mr. F. was elected to the State Legislature in 1874. He was appointed Enumerator for the Precinct Census in 1880.

   AUGUST GUENTHER, dealer in drugs, fancy goods, etc.; business established in 1881. Mr. G. succeeded C. H. Walther. Mr. G. was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 11, 1835; was educated in Germany, and learned the drug business, passing four examinations. In 1853, he came to the United States; first located in New York City; followed his profession there and in other parts of the United States. In 1880, he settled in Arago. Mr. G. was married in Richardson County, Neb., September 26, 1867, to Miss Kate Hoos, of that county. They have three children--Julia, Lizzie, Albert.

   JOSEPH A. KITT, general store; business established in 1879, by Kitt & Kibler; the latter retired in 1880. Mr. K. was born in Baden, Germany, November 8, 1846. In 1859, his parents came to the United States, and after locating in Illinois for a time, settled in Richardson County, the same year. Joseph A. was educated in this county. In 1864, he enlisted in the First Nebraska Black Horse Cavalry Battalion, which was afterward consolidated with the First Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Cavalry. He served until mustered out, July 3, 1866; then returned to Richardson County, and engaged in farming until 1874; then clerking until present business. Mr. K. was married in Rulo, Neb., February 17, 1866, to Miss Salina Plant, of Rulo. They have three children--Fred T., Malvina, and Annie.

   DR. GEORGE KOENIG, physician and surgeon, was born in Prussia, February 8, 1843; was educated in the old country, pursuing his professional studies and graduating from the Medical College of Goetinge. In 1871, he came to the United States and settled in Chicago. Driven out by the big fire, he moved to St. Louis, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1875, he went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he continued engaged in practice until 1879, when he settled in Arago, Neb. Dr. K. was married in Springfield, Mo., June 15, 1872, to Miss Margaret Stenry, a native of Switzerland. They have two children, Catherine, George. The Doctor is a member of the Catholic Church, and of the St. Jo Turn Verein.

   P. B. MILLER, general store. Business established in 1875, by Mr. Miller; the last year or so in wife's name, on account of poor health. Mr. M. was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, January 18, 1820. Learned the soap and candle making trade at home. In 1847 he came to the United States and settled in Buffalo, N. Y., where he engaged in clerking until 1864, when he settled in Arago, Neb. Was elected County Treasurer in 1871, and re-elected in 1873; at close of second term he returned to Arago, and opened present business. Mr. M. was married in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, January 18, 1844, to Miss Elizabeth Sommerlad. They have seven children now living--Henry, Fred W., William, Caroline (now Mrs. Werner), Sophia (now Mrs. Schaffer), George and Lewis. Mr. M. is a member of the I. O. O. F.

   J. P. C. ULRICH, dealer in hardware, tinware, stoves and agricultural implements. Business established March, 1882. Mr. U. was born in Weisbaden, Germany, July 9, 1847; educated at home. In 1872 he came to the United States; located in New York City for a time, then went to Pennsylvania. In 1875 paid a visit home, and returned to the United States in 1876. In 1878 he settled in Saline County, Neb. Engaged in clerking for a time, then went to Missouri. In 1880, settled in Arago, and clerked until the spring of 1882, when he opened business.

   HENRY VOLLBRECHT, Postmaster. Appointed to present position by President Arthur, December 30, 1881. Mr. V. was born in Prussia, July 2, 1826; was educated there and learned the carpenter's trade and cabinet-making. In 1854 he came to the United States, and settled in Buffalo, N. Y., where he followed his trade until 1858, when he moved to Arago, Neb. Worked at his trade there also until 1874, when he took charge of the hotel. In 1878, engaged in farming, which he followed until appointed to present position. Mr. V. enlisted February 16, 1862, in Company B, Fourth Missouri Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in April, 1865. He was married in Buffalo, N. Y., December 31, 1855, to Miss Ottilis Nemode, of Buffalo. She died in Arago, leaving two children--Annie and Amelia. Mr. V. is a member of the Lutheran Church.

PORTER PRECINCT.

   JAMES R. BROCKMAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, Porter Precinct, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Athens, Ill., and reared in Morgan County. In 1860, and at the age of twenty-one, he came to Nebraska and engaged at freighting for a few years, with which he was actively identified. He subsequently engaged at his present industry which he has successfully conducted. In 1869 he was married to Mrs. Galpha Jane Schrader (formerly Hurd). She was born and reared in Cass County, Ill., and settled in this locality with her deceased husband at an early date. Mrs. Brockman's family consists of two sons--Nathaniel and James Schrader. Mr. B. has been an active worker in the development of the social life of this locality since coming here.

   JOHN M. BROCKMAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, Humboldt P. O., was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill., and was identified there with the teaching profession principally till 1860, when he came here and located, and has been identified with his present industry since 1867. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted his services in defence of the Union and entered the First Nebraska Cavalry, which subsequently was merged into the 5th Iowa, with which he remained in active service till 1864, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he prosecuted his profession of teaching in Illinois till 1867, when he settled here, having married in that year to Miss Minerva A. Mitchell, who was born in Christian and reared in Menard County, Ill. They have one daughter, Ida. Mr. Brockman has always taken an active part in all measures tending to the growth of the many different industries and interests of the locality since coming here.

   J. H. CORNELIUS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 32, Porter Precinct, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Henry County, Ky., in 1830. At the age of twenty-one he left his native State and located in Menard County, Ill., where he followed farming until 1860, when he came here and located, and has been very successfully connected with his present industry here since. In 1867 he married Miss Maria Tighe, who was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1841, and came to America with her people in 1854, who settled in Morgan County, Ill., where she was reared and educated. They have a family of three sons and three daughters--Alpheus B., John M., Nellie, Keziah, Isaiah, Logan, and Bessie O. Mr. C. has been an active worker in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality since coming here, and has by dint of honest industry accumulated about 570 acres of valuable land surrounding his homestead.

   HENRY ELLIOTT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 25, Porter Precinct, P. O. Stella, was born in Kentucky in 1836, and was reared in Buchanan County, Mo., where he followed farming until 1870, when he came to Nebraska and settled in Nemaha County, and carried on farming actively until 1882, when he bought his present farm and settled here. In 1861 he married Miss Annie Stockwell, who was born in Kentucky in 1843, and reared in Platte County, Mo. They have a family of two sons and three daughters--Thomas, Alice, Nannie, Bird, and Dena. Mr. Elliott has taken an active part in the social and public life of his locality since locating in the State.

   J. CORWIN FERGUS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 29, Porter Precinct, P. O. Humboldt, was born and reared in Miami County, Ohio, and was identified with farming there until 1868, when he located here and has very actively conducted his present business since. In 1871 he married Miss Frances Forgy, who was born and reared in Clark County, Ohio. They have two sons and one daughter living--Ernest S., Oma L., and Corwin C.--and have buried one daughter--Olga, aged two years--in 1876, in Mound Cemetery, Porter Precinct. Mr. Corwin Fergus has been an active worker in the furtherance of all measures tending toward the growth and development of the industrial and social life of his locality since coming here. He is at present one of the board of directors of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Humboldt, which incumbency he has held since its organization. His military record is as a member of Company B, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which regiment he was in active service from 1864 until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged.

   WILLIAM HALL, farmer and stockraiser, Section 14, Porter Precinct, Stella P. O., was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill., and was connected there with farming until 1864, when he came here and located, and has very successfully prosecuted his present industry here since. In 1846 he married Miss N. J. Thompson of his native county. They have a family of six sons--Thomas E., Downey E., Henry H., Burton W., Samuel R., and Willis Guy. Mr. Hall has worked actively in the development of the social life of his locality.

   B. MULLEN, farmer and stock raiser, section 20, Porter Precinct, Humboldt P. O., was born and reared in Champaign County, Ohio. In 1856 and at the age of nineteen, he located in Cass County, Ill., where he followed farming till1864. In the meantime he located his present property in 1860, and settled here in 1864, and has actively prosecuted his present business here since. In 1868 he married Miss Susan M. Hayes, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania. They have a family of three sons, Lewis, Frank and Benjamin. At the breaking out of the war, Mr. Mullen volunteered his services and enlisted in Company C, Sixth Illinois Cavalry, with which he remained in active service till December, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. Since coming here he has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the public, social and industrial life of his locality.

   ROBERT G. SHUE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 15, Porter Precinct, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Oxford, Butler Co., Ohio, in 1852, and removed with his people, who settled in Sangamon County, Ill., in 1859 where he was reared and educated. In 1870 he located in Wilson County, Kas., where he carried on farming until 1874, when he came here and has actively prosecuted his present industry here since. In 1877 he married Miss Anna Hall, who was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill. They have two sons Gaius E., and Robert Leroy. Mr. Shue has worked actively in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

   JOHN TIGHE, farmer and stock raiser, Section 27, Porter Precinct, Dawson's Mills P. O. Mr. Tighe was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, 1843, and came to America with his parents Murtagh and Ellen Tighe, who settled in Morgan County, Ill., 1849, where he was reared and educated and was identified actively there with the farming and stock industry there till 1864, when he located here and has very successfully prosecuted the agricultural and stock industry here since. In 1854 Mrs. Ellen Tighe, formerly Carroll, departed this life and is buried in the cemetery, Jacksonville, Ill., leaving one son and daughter, John and Maria, now Mrs. J. K. Cornelius, of this Precinct.

   D. A. WALKER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 9, Porter Precinct, P. O. Stella, was born in Germany in 1840, and came to America in 1858. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, until 1860, when he settled in Sangamon County, Ill., where he followed farming until 1868, when he came here and has very successfully conducted his present industry since. In 1879 he married Miss Rebecca J. Hall, who was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill., and who departed this life in June, 1882, and was buried in Mound Cemetery, this precinct, with her two little children, Gracie and Abbie. Mr. Walker has always taken an active interest tending toward the growth and development of the social life of his locality.

   JOHN QUINLAN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 23, Porter Precinct, Stella P. O., was born in Nova Scotia, 1825, and was identified in that country with farming, trading and lumber industries. In 1870 he came here and located, and has successfully followed his present business ever since. In 1853 he married Miss Eliza A. Turner, of his native county. They have a family of three sons and two daughters, James W., Amos A., David M., Cassie A., and Emily A. Mr. Quinlan has always been an active worker in the social development of his locality since coming here.

OHIO PRECINCT.

   RALPH ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Falls City. Mr. A.'s home farm contains 240 acres, in Ohio Precinct. He makes a specialty of fine stock, particularly Durham Short-horns, of the Bates family. He brought a car load of Short-horns with him when he came to the State, and has improved and increased his herd since. The head of the herd is a Miss Wylie's Knight. Mr. Anderson was born in Durham County, England, September 5, 1822. He was connected with Durham cattle there. In 1849 he came to the United States and settled in Pike County, Ill., where he engaged in raising fine stock. In 1862 he removed to Richardson County, Neb., and settled on present farm. Mr. A. was married in Pike County, Ill., to Miss Mary Langly, of Pike County. They have one child, Lizzie. Mr. A. was County Commissioner one term and has filled all the minor offices.

   HON. J. R. DOWTY, member State Legislature and farmer, Section 17, Ohio Precinct. Bought present farm in 1863, and settled on it in 1865. Has 160 acres in home farm and has an "eighty" adjoining. Raises grain and stock. Mr. Dowty was born in Butler County, Ohio, October 10, 1829. Learned the carpenter trade as a young man. In 1857 he moved to St. Louis, Mo., and the same year settled in Nemaha County, Neb., where he engaged in carpentering until 1859, then moved to Richardson County, where he followed the same business until he settled on his farm. In 1867 he was appointed carpenter at the Great Nemaha Indian Agency, retaining the position until 1874, then returned to his farm. Mr. Dowty was married in Arago, Richardson County, Neb., May 5, 1863, to Miss Lydia M. Beaver, of that county. They have three children, Edwin, Allison, and Rebecca. Mr. D. was Postmaster at Nohart, Richardson County, under Presidents Johnson and Grant. He is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.

   JOHN FALLSTEAD, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Falls City. Located on his present place in 1866. He has 120 acres devoted to grain and stock. Mr. F. was born in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, Aug. 28, 1829. He served six years in the German army, during this period being engaged in the Danish-German war. In 1852 or 1853 he came to the United States, located for a time in New York State, then went to Michigan. Afterward lived about five years in St. Joseph, Ind. In 1861 he moved to Nebraska and settled in Richardson County, where he bought eighty acres of land and engaged in outside work to obtain means to stock the place. He enlisted in 1862 in Company G, Second Regiment Nebraska Volunteers, and served about fifteen months. He was wounded at the battle of White Rock Hills. Mr. Fallstead was married in Arago, Richardson County, May 16, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Pollard, a native of Tennessee. They have two children, George H. and John W.

   J. F. HARKENDORFF, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Falls City, bought and settled on his present farm in November, 1854. He is now the oldest living resident of Richardson County. There are 480 acres in the home farm, principally devoted to raising grain for stock. Mr. Harkendorff was born in Mecklenburg Schwerin, Germany, February 18, 1810. He learned the wagon making trade, and followed it there until 1852, in which year he emigrated to America, and settled in Jackson County, Ill. From there he moved to Nebraska. He was married in Mecklenburg Schwerin, October 3, 1833, to Miss Mary Kephaudt, of that place. They have one son living--Fred J. He was married in Johnson County, Neb., in 1866, to Miss Mary Hasenyager, of that county. They have four children--John F., Annie, Mary and Charles. Mr. H. is a member of the German Lutheran Church.

   JOHN LEWIS, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Falls City. Located on present place in the fall of 1869. There are 320 acres in the home farm. Mr. Lewis rents out his farm, though still residing on it. Mr. Lewis is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in Crawford County, April 28, 1816. He was educated in his native county, and remained there, engaged in farming, until about 1854, when he removed to McHenry County, Ill. In 1863, removed to Marshall County, Iowa, and a year later to Jasper County, where he remained until he settled in Nebraska in 1869. Mr. L. was married in Crawford County, Pa., to Miss Martha Hotchkiss, a native of Connecticut. She died, leaving two children--Delia and Joel. Was again married in Crawford County, Pa., to Miss Adeline Webster, of Connecticut, who died leaving six children--Webster, Emeline, Nancy, Leslie, Charles and Elizabeth. He was married to his present wife in McHenry County, Ill. She was a Miss Rebecca Randolph, a native of Crawford County, Pa. They have one son--Ellis P.

   B. M. MADDOX, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Falls City, has 165 acres in the home farm. Does not manage the farm personally at the present time, having rented most of it. He was born in Fleming County, Ky., 1815. In 1831, he moved to Fountain County, Ind., with his parents. His father died in 1835, B. M. then took charge of the family. Removed to Vermillion County, Ind, in 1837. In the fall of 1848 he went to Illinois, and returned in 1850, sold out in 1851, and was then intending to move west, but the death of his wife disarranged his plans, and it was about two years later that he located in Hardin County, Iowa, where he remained until 1864, in which year he settled on his present homestead. Mr. M. has been married three times. His first wife was Miss Nancy Code, of Vermillion County, Ind., to whom he was married in 1836 or 1837. She died, leaving four children--Richard, Susan, Emerilla and Nancy. He was married again in Fountain County, Ind., in 1852, to Miss Barbara Starus Livengood, of that county. She died, leaving three children--J. Luther, Salina, and Charles L. He was married to his present wife in Hold County, Mo., in 1865. She was Miss Sarah Catren, of Holt County. They have two children--Emma L., and George W. Mr. M. is a member of the Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A., F. & A. M.

   B. F. MORGAN, farmer, Section 18, Ohio Precinct, P. O. Salem, settled on present place in 1872. The home farm contains 120 acres, devoted to grain and stock. Mr. M. is turning his attention to the breeding of fine stock. He has now six head full blood and thirty head of graded Short-horns. The head of the herd is a full blood "Rose of Sharon" bull. Mr. Morgan was born in Cumberland County, Ky., September 15, 1842. He was educated in his native county, where he engaged in farming until 1867, when he removed to Pike County, Ill., where he engaged in stock raising until he moved to Nebraska in 1872. Mr. Morgan was married in Pike County, Ill., August 26, 1870, to Miss Hanlin, of Pike County. They have two children--Edwin L. and Myrtie S. Mr. M. is a member of Salem Lodge, No. 47, A., F. & A. M.

   FRANCIS SHAFFER, farmer, P. O. Falls City. Mr. S. has 245 acres in Ohio Precinct, which he works himself and in addition has 160 acres bordering, which he generally rents. Is at present raising considerable grain, but intends ultimately to work into fine stock. He was born in Somerset County, Pa., August 28, 1841. Was born and raised on a farm. In 1862 he moved to Carroll County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until 1869, when he moved to Richardson County, Neb., and settled on present place. Mr. S. was married in Somerset County, Pa., October 29, 1861, to Miss Susan Horner of that county. They have seven children--Charles P., Perry, James A., Annie M., Frank M., Bertha E., Harry M. He is a member of the German Baptist Church.

   SAMUEL C. STUMP, minister of the German Baptist Church, and farmer, Section 4, P. O. Falls City, settled on present place in 1870. Has 160 acres in home farm, and forty acres adjacent, in addition to pasture and timber lots. Is engaged in raising both grain and stock. Mr. Stump was born in York County, Pa., August 15, 1825. About 1834 his parents moved to Preble County, Ohio, and in 1849 to Wells County, Ind., where Samuel C. remained until 1870, when he settled in present place. He was married in Preble County, Ohio, To Miss McFadden, a native of Rockingham County, Va. They have eight children--John, Elizabeth, Susan, Benjamin F., Peter A., Jane, George, Mary E. Mr. S. is Treasurer of the School District.

   SOLOMON C. STUMP, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Falls City. Has 320 acres in the home farm, and 100 acres outlying. Raises grain and stock, having this year some 130 acres of small grain. Mr. Stump was born in Preble County, Ohio, April 11, 1841. He was educated in his native county. In 1871 he removed to Nebraska, settled in Richardson County, and has since engaged in farming. He was married in Preble County, Ohio, in September, 1869, to Miss Magdelena Petry of that county. She died in Richardson County, July 4, 1872, leaving seven children--John W., Laura J., Francis M., Washington C., Ermira A., Alonzo P., Chester W. He was married to his present wife in Richardson County, May 31, 1874. She was Mrs. Harriet (Forney) Wise. They have five children--Maggie M., Benjamin F., Mary E., Amanda E., Lottie A., Mr. S. has been Township Assessor three terms. Mr. S. controls the county right on W. S. Browe's Patent Gate Hinge.

   GEORGE C. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Falls City. The home farm, in Ohio Precinct, consists of 160 acres. He raises some small grain, though principally corn, etc., which he feeds to stock. Mr. T. was born in Callaway County, Mo., May 12, 1837. His parents moved to Atchison County about 1844. George C. enlisted in 1862 in the Fifth Regiment Cavalry, M. S. M., and served until June, 1863, the expiration of term of enlistment. Returned home and engaged in farming in Atchison County until 1880, when he moved to Richardson County, Neb., and settled on present place. Mr. T. was married in Atchison County, Mo., in 1875, to Miss Sarah B. Cradit of that county. They have three children--Oscar C., Walter D., George L. He is a member of Falls City Lodge, No. 9, A. F. & A. M.

FRANKLIN PRECINCT.

   JOSHUA G. BABCOCK, farmer and stock raiser, Section 30, Franklin Precinct P. O. Humboldt, was born and raised in Clark County, Ohio, and came to Nebraska in 1857, and located here, where he has actively followed his present business since. In 1848 he was married in Clark County, Ohio, to Charlotte T. Lippincott, who was born and reared in same county. They have a family of four sons and three daughters--Julius T., Levanthia C., Cassius C., Laura R., Roena M., Uri S. and Curtis L.; the last two are invalids. Mr. Babcock has always been an active worker in the social life of the locality since coming here.

   HON. CHARLES COLE, Member of State Assembly from First Legislative District of Nebraska, farmer and stock raiser, Section 25, Franklin Precinct, Humboldt P. O. Mr. Cole was born in Ovid, Seneca Co., N. Y., in 1821, and removed with his people to Painesville, Ohio, in 1823, where he was reared and educated. In 1849 he located in Jo Daviess County, Ill., where he was actively identified with farming and stock raising until 1877, when he came here and located, and has been successfully connected with his present industry since. January, 1847, he married Miss Almeda Barto, who was born and reared in Islip, Long Island, and who departed this life in 1854, and is buried in Elm Wood Cemetery, Warren, Ill., leaving a family of three sons and one daughter: George E., Frederick H., Charles M., Mary A. In 1856 he married Miss Jennie H. Abbey, who was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., and reared in Lake County, Ohio. They have a family of two sons and three daughters: Carrie A., Sarah A., W. H., Seeley F. and Maria L. Mr. Cole has always taken an active interest in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of this locality since coming here. He is at present incumbent of this district in the Legislative Assembly, and has filled many minor municipal offices.

   JOHN W. DAVIS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 29, Franklin Precinct, Humboldt P. O. Was born in Virginia, 1826, and was reared in Logan County, Ohio, where he followed his business of boot and shoe making until 1856. In 1857 he came here and located, and followed his present business here since. In 1843, he married Miss Amy Randolf, who was born in Virginia and reared in Ohio, and who departed this life April 10, 1864, and is buried on the homestead here, leaving one daughter, Rhoda, now Mrs. Civilian Watters, of Norton County, Kan. In 1866 he married Mrs. Abigail Corlett. They have one son and one daughter, Perry T. and Laura M. Mr. D. was Captain of the Home Guards here during the war, and has always taken an active part in the social life of his locality since coming here.

   B. F. FERGUSON, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, Franklin Precinct, Humboldt P. O. Was born in Cayuga County, N. Y, in 1817, and was reared in Ontario County. At the age of thirty-one he left his native State for the West, and after spending a few years alternately in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, he came to Nebraska and located here in 1857, and has, by dint of persistent industry and honest intelligence, so lived as to accumulate a nice amount of land (350 acres), and the honor of being the father of his precinct. In 1847 he married Miss Hannah Van Dusen in Ontario County, N. Y., who was born in Connecticut in 1826. They have one son, Willie Grant, living. They have buried three sons and four daughters in Brownville Cemetery. Mr. Ferguson served in Second Nebraska Cavalry for nearly a year, when he joined the Mounted Militia of the State, and in active service in it till the end of the war. He has always taken an active interest in the development of the social life of his locality since coming here.

   FRED A. LOENNIG, farmer and stock raiser, Section 27, Franklin Precinct, P. O. Humboldt. Was born in Prussia in 1830. He came to America in 1852, traveling through Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Iowa. He followed farming until 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, Second Iowa Cavalry, and remained in active service until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged. After the war he located in Bureau County, Ill., where he followed farming until 1871, when he came here, and has actively carried on his present business since. In 1866 he married Miss Maria S. Toepfer, who was born in Bavaria in 1848 and came to America about 1865. They have a family of three sons and three daughters; William, Ida, Henry, Frederick, Mary and Annie. Mr. L. has always taken an active part in the growth and development of the social and public life of his locality since coming here, and has, by honest, upright dealing, secured for himself a very valuable farm and the high esteem of the people of his district.

   J. R. STANDERFORD, farmer and stock raiser, Section 19, Franklin Precinct, Humboldt P. O. Was born and reared in Orange County, Ind. In 1850, at the age of twenty, he removed to Morgan County, Ill., where he followed farming actively for several years. In 1860 he came here and located, and has very successfully carried on his present business since. In 1857 he married Miss Elizabeth J. Manchester, who was born and reared in Morgan County, Ill., and who departed this life in 1868 and is buried in Pawnee City Cemetery, leaving one son and two daughters, William T., Mary L., and Maudie J. In 1871 he married Miss Mary Ann Purcell, who was born in Hancock County, Ill. They have two sons and three daughters, Richard, James, Belle, Eva and Jennie. Mr. Standerford has always worked actively in the development of the social life of his locality, and has, by dint of honest industry, developed a valuable remuneration for his labors in the shape of 340 acres of very fine land.

LIBERTY PRECINCT.

   J. G. HEINZELMAN & SON, proprietors Liberty Custom and Merchant Mills, Section 23, Liberty Precinct. The mills were built in 1874, by Heinzelman and Gergan. Mr. H. taking entire charge the next year; the present firm was organized in 1881. The buildings are of frame, twenty-six by thirty-six and three stories high, containing three run of stones, driven by water power. They are now adding rolls for the manufacture of patent flour by the new process. John G. Heizelman, Sr., member of the firm was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, January 8, 1827. He came to the United States, in 1849, and settled in Ohio; three years later he moved to St. Joseph County, Ind., where he remained, engaged in farming until 1864, when he moved to Nebraska, and settled in Richardson County. He engaged in farming until he took charge of the mills in 1875. His farm consisting of a half-section of land he now rents. Mr. H. was married in Portage County, Ohio, January 7, 1853, to Miss Mary Kelly, a native of Germany. They have five children, Annie M., George H., Minna A., Charles and August. George H. Heinzelman, the junior member of the firm was born in St. Joseph County, Ind., February 3, 1855. Has since remained with his parents.

   L. J. HITCHCOCK, farmer, and also engaged in raising thoroughbred Poland China hogs, Section 25, Liberty Precinct, P. O. Salem. Bought present place in 1862, and settled on it in 1869, there are 160 acres of the home farm and forty acres adjoining, devoted to grain and stock. Mr. H. has started breeding cattle, the head of his stock being a full blood Short-horn from the famous Cowen herd of Missouri. Mr. Hitchcock was born in Warren County, N. Y., April 5, 1840, his parents moved to Lake County, Ohio (about 1844), and from there they removed to Richardson County, Neb., in 1861. L. J. received his education in Ohio and engaged in farming all of his life. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Fifth Regiment, Missouri State Militia. Was mustered out in 1864, and returned to Nebraska. He was married in Richardson County, Neb., March 14, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Hosick of that county. They have one child, Chauncy.

   G. W. SEARS, farmer, Section 26, Liberty Precinct, P. O. Salem, settled on his present place in 1869. There are 170 acres of the home farm and eighty acres adjoining. He raises grain and stock, the latter consisting of cattle and hogs. Mr. Sears was born in Waldo County, Me., March 18, 1843, He was partially educated in his native county, finishing in Green County, Wis., where his parents removed in 1856. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company K, Twenty-second Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Was taken prisoner in March, 1863, and confined in Libby Prison. Being mustered out in June, 1865, was attached to the Twentieth Army Corps under Gen. Hooker. He returned to Green County, and there engaged in farming until 1869, when he settled in Richardson County, Neb. Mr. S. was married in Green County, Wis., May 1, 1867, to Miss Sylvia A., daughter of K. R. Davis. They have six children, Nelva, Ina, Olna, Orva, Lindel and Zella. Mr. S. is a member of the Commodore Porter Post, No. 48, G. A. R.

   DE WITT C. SIMMONS, farmer, Section 26, Liberty Precinct, Salem P. O., settled on his present place in 1868. There are 200 acres in the home farm. Mr. S. is engaged in both grain and stock raising. He is breeding Poland-China hogs, and has four heifers and a bull, Short-horn cattle. Mr. S. was born in Pike County, Ill., March 8, 1830. He was educated in his native county, and engaged in farming until the breaking out of the war. He enlisted in 1862, in Company H, Seventy-third Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was wounded at the battle of Perryville, the same year. He returned home, and after his convalescence he returned to his regiment; was shortly afterward commissioned Second Lieutenant of the Company, but resigned and came home. In 1863, he raised a company of 100-day men for picket duty; they served until the close of the war. In 1868, he settled in Richardson County, Neb., on his present farm. He was married in Pike County, Ill., May 25, 1851, to Miss Eliza J. Pennington, a native of New Jersey. They have five children--Flora, Clarence, Grant, Guion, and Judson. Mr. S. is a member of Commodore Porter Post, No. 48, G. A. R., and of Salem Lodge, No. 21, I. O. O. F.

SPEISER PRECINCT.

   SAMUEL GERMAIN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 20, Speiser Precinct, Humboldt P. O., was born and reared in Delaware County, N. Y., and came to Nebraska in 1866, and located here, where he has very successfully carried on his present industry since. In January, 1860, he married Miss Augusta Bisbee, in Freeport, Ill. She was born and reared in his native county, and who departed this life March, 1874, and is buried in the cemetery, Speiser Precinct, leaving a family of four sons and three daughters--Amanda, Osmer, Homer, Jennie, Adelbert, Samuel E. and Ida. In December, 1874, he married Mrs. Ellen Law, formerly Linn, who was born and reared in his native State. They have a family of two sons and one daughter--Kirtland, Myrtle, and Alvin. Mrs. Germain's family are--Eliza, May and William Law. Mr. Germain has always worked actively in the furtherance of such measures as tended to develop the home life of his locality, since his coming here. His military service began in August 1862, in Company E, Thirty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was actively engaged till September, 1864, when he was honorably discharged on account of injuries received, and pensioned.

   CHARLES A. STRAWN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 21, Speiser Precinct, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Franklin township, DeKalb Co., Ill., where he was identified with farming until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged; participated actively in thirteen pitched battles. He was with Sherman in all of his campaigns, and his march to the sea. After the war he came to Nebraska, and located here in 1866, where he has been actively connected with his present industry since. In 1867, he married Miss Emily J. Young, of his native home, who departed this life in 1876, and is buried in the cemetery, Speiser Precinct, leaving two daughters and one son--Rosella May, Emery M., living, and Laura, buried beside her mother in 1879. In 1877, he married Miss Mary Houser, of Pennsylvania. They have a family of three sons--William Grant, Bert and Mert, twins. Mr. Strawn has been an active worker in the development of the social life of his locality, and is an active member of the William Mix Post, No. 68, G. A. R., of which he is the Junior Vice-Commander.

   JOHN VINNER, farmer and stock raiser, Section 31, Speiser Precinct, P. O. Cincinnati, was born in Harrisburg, Penn., in 1834, and was reared in Preble County, Ohio, where he followed farming until 1860, when he came here and located and has very successfully carried on his present industry since. In 1853 he married Miss Martha Aydelott, in Preble County, Ohio. She was born and reared in Indiana. They have a family of three sons and two daughters: George, Oscar, Susie, Mary and Jacob. Mr. Vinner has always taken an active part in the development of his locality since coming here, and has by dint of honest industry and business thrift, secured for himself a valuable tract of land, consisting of 400 acres, 240 of which are in Nebraska and 160 in Kansas.

BARADA PRECINCT.

   JOHN P. KING, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Aspinwau, Nemaha Co. Settled in present place in 1869. Has 160 acres in home farm and 80 acres adjacent. Mr. King also owns 170 acres in Nemaha County, which he rents at present. Makes a specialty of fine stock raising. Has a full blood Rose of Sharon bull for the head of his herd, and in his drove of 200 hogs, runs to Jersey Reds almost exclusively. Mr. King was born in Livingston County, N. Y., October 12, 1833. About 1856 he left home and settled in Clayton County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming. From there he moved to Nebraska in 1860, and settled in Richardson County, and has since been engaged in farming. Mr. King was married in Clayton County, Iowa, in May, 1858 to Miss Mary C. Slocum of that county. They have six children living, Mary C., Nellie, Myrtle, Donna, John R. and Jay W. Mr. King is a member of the A., F. & A. M. of Nemaha City. Is also a stockholder in the Richardson County National Bank of Falls County.

   H. SAARE & CO., general store, Barada. Business established in January, 1880; succeeded E. Weisenreder. They carry a stock of $6,000. H. Saare, Postmaster; was appointed in October, 1880. He is a native of Prussia, and was born March 4, 1844. His parents came to the United States in 1854 and settled in Jefferson County, Wis., where he engaged in farming. In 1858 he moved to Sauk County, Wis., following the same business. In 1864 he enlisted in Company G., 42d Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, then returned to Wisconsin. In 1872 he settled in Aspinwall, Nemaha County, Neb., where he engaged in the mercantile business, remaining until 1877, when he returned to Baraboo, Wis., also engaging there in the mercantile business, until the present firm was organized. Mr. Saare was married in Dane County, Wis., July 17, 1869, to Miss Louise Mollin, of Dane County. They have three children living--Alfred, Louise and Augusta.

   D. V. STEPHENSON, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Barada. Settled on present place in 1876. Has 505 acres in the home farm. Mr. Stephenson makes a specialty in the breeding of fine stock. He has a herd of pedigreed Jersey cattle, consisting of some twelve to fifteen head, and has also about eighteen head of full-blood Short-horns, of the Rose of Sharon and Amelia families. In horses, he has some fifteen head of brood mares and has for sires a full-blood Clydesdale and full-blood Hambletonian. Mr. Stephenson was born in Montgomery County, Ind., June 3, 1840. His parents moved to Marion County, Iowa, about 1846. In 1858, settled in Richardson County, Neb., where he engaged in farming until about 1865, then moved to Falls City. D. V. was appointed Deputy United States Surveyor; leaving his family in Falls City, he worked some ten years in western Nebraska and in New Mexico. He was married in Richardson County, Neb., in April, 1863, to Miss Mattie V. McElroy, of that County. She died in 1875, leaving five children--Lillie B., Wells Z., Hattie E., John L., Mattie B. He was married to his present wife in Richardson County, in August, 1876. She was Miss Annie E. Benner, of that County. They have two children--Ruth and Lucy. Mr. S. is a member of Falls City Lodge No. 9, A., F. & A. M. and Eureka Chapter No. 5, also of the K. of P.

PRESTON.

   P. R. SHELLEY, Postmaster and dealer in general merchandise, Preston. Business established in February, 1880. Mr. S. was born in Bucks County, Pa. December 18, 1843. Was educated in his native county and learned a trade. In 1860 he moved to Montgomery County, Pa., where he remained until 1876, when he moved to Brown County, Kansas. In 1878, he moved to Nebraska, and settled in Richardson County, where he engaged in farming until he laid out the town of Preston. Mr. S. is the owner of the town site and may be said to be the father of the town. He was married in Montgomery County, Pa., September 4, 1864, to Miss Shutt, of that county. They have four children--John R., Martha, Christian and Freed. Mr. S. is a member of the Dunkard Society.

   A. D. McALPINE, station agent at Preston of B. & M. R. R., also agent Wells Fargo Express Company. Mr. McA. was born in Elgin County, Canada West, January 10, 1859. He was educated in Middlesex County, where his parents had previously moved. In 1877 he commenced the study of telegraphy, and followed it in addition to clerking, until 1880, when he came to the United States. After spending a few months in Kansas, he settled at Staplehurst, Seward Co., Neb., where he held the position of agent for the B. & M. R. R., and was also Postmaster. Was appointed to his present position September 8, 1881.




Top of Page   First Page   Back

County Index