At special ceremonies on October 28, 1943, astone was dedicated commemorating the immigration of the Kotosufka Mennonitecongregation from Russia to Kansas. The stone, approximately three feet wide andnine feet high, stands four miles west of Moundridge near where the Santa Ferailroad erected the immigrant house in 1874. The marker reads:
[and on the opposite side]
The story of the colony was briefly reviewed indedication notes printed in the Mennonite Weekly Review, of Newton,October 21, November 4 and 11.
All officers of the Lyon county chapter of theKansas State Historical Society were reelected at its annual membership meetingin the chapter's museum at Emporia December 11, 1943. The offIcers are George R. R. Pflaum, president; Mrs. Robert L. Jones, first vice-president; John A.Roberts, second vice-president; E. C. Ryan, secretary; John S. Langley,treasurer; Mrs. Fanny Randolph Vickrey, Mrs. F. L. Gilson and Miss Lucina Jones,historians. Elected for three-year terms as directors were: C. A. Paine, Ivytownship; Robert D. Lumley, Fremont township; Mrs. J. C. McKinney, Jacksontownship; Miss Kate Langley, Center township, and Mrs. Alice Evans Snyder, Thirdward, Emporia. The chapter now has 117 life members, 120 annual members, andthree honorary members.
Miss Stella B. Haines was reelected president of the Augusta Historical Societyat the annual meeting held January 17, 1944. Other officers are Mrs. S. C. Webb,vice-president; Mrs. A. V. Small, secretary, and Miss May Clark, treasurer.Dean Earl K. Hillbrand of the University of Wichita was the featured speaker atthe annual meeting of the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas in Topeka January28, 1944. His subject was: "To Kansas, to Make It Free!" Newly-elected officersof the Native Daughters are Mrs. F. W. Hawes, Russell, president; Mrs. W. H. vonder Heiden, Newton, vice-president; Mrs. John C. Nelson, Topeka, secretary, andMrs, C. I. Moyer, Severance, treasurer. Mrs. George L. McClenny, Topeka, was theretiring president. Officers of the Native Sons are Nyle H. Miller, Topeka,president; Frank Haucke, Council Grove, vice-president; Judge Homer Hoch, Topeka,secretary, and Col. Will Zurbucken, Topeka, treasurer. W. M. Richards, Emporia.,was the retiring president. The organization's annual essay and oratoricalcontests were won by Dean Gregory of Osborne, and Norbert Dreiling of Hays,respectively.
At a meeting of the Riley County HistoricalSociety in Manhattan February 5,1944, Mrs. O. O. (Cora Kimble) Parker was elected president to succeed Charles W.Emmons who died January 26, and Mrs. Florence Fox Harrop was electedvice-president. Featured on the program were papers by Mrs. Harrop and Mrs.Clarence Johnson.
Newly-elected officers of the KansasCommonwealth Club, of Wichita, are HermanQuinius, president; Bert A. Hedges, first vicepresident; Mrs. E. G. Cone, secondvice-president; H. J. Quigley, third vice-president; Ralph Hinman, fourthvice-president; Mrs. Wallace E. Haines, recording secretary; Elsberry Martin,treasurer, and Ralph M. Cauthorn, executive secretary.
Wellington's museum, located under the National Bank of Commerce, is open forpublic inspection during regular banking hours. Pioneer relics of Wellington andvicinity, and displays from both World Wars are features of the collection.Because of the gasoline shortage and the pressure of war-related duties the planto mark every mile of the Oregon trail through Kansas is proceeding slowly,according to John G. Ellenbecker of Marysville, president of the Kansas councilof the American Pioneer Trails Association. The work is part of a general markingprogram spon-
sored by the Oregon council for the whole of the Oregon trail. Included amongthe Kansas county chairmen are H. C. Lathrop, Blue Rapids, Marshall county; LeoE. Dieker, Hanover, Washington county; George A. Root, Topeka, Shawnee county,and William E. Smith, Wamego, Pottawatomie county.
A twelve-page pamphlet entitled History ofthe First Presbyterian Church,Atchison, Kansas, by Dr. Charles Arthur Hawley, the minister, was published bythe women's union of the church early in 1944. The church was started in1858.
Methodism in Hays was reviewed in a twelve-pagesixty-sixth anniversary booklet recently issued by the First Methodist Church ofHays. The first service was conducted by the Rev. Leonard Bell in a saloon in thelatter part of 1873, but the church remained unorganized until 1878.
A study, "An Investigation of the GovernmentalAgencies of the State of Kansas," by Don E. Davis, has been published by theKansas State Teachers College of Emporia as the twenty-seventh of the Studies inEducation series. Mr. Davis lists eighty-five governmental agencies in Kansas. Hetells how they were created, describes their organization, and briefly reviewstheir histories and duties.