A series of historical notes entitled "ShermanCounty Firsts" have been published as a frequent feature of The Sherman CountyHerald, of Goodland, for the past three years. The notes are contributed byD. W. Blackburn.
Cecil Howes, long-time head of the Topeka bureauof the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, has been contributing illustrated articlesunder the title "The Birth of a State-This Month in Kansas History" to the KansasTeacher, Topeka, since January, 1942.
The building of the Rock Island railroad throughDoniphan county in 1886 was described in a two-column letter from W. F. Hornprinted in The Kansas Chief, Troy, September 2, 1943. Another feature ofthis issue was a page pictorial history of the Troy Kiwanis Club.
A history of the Homemakers club of Frankfort,by Mrs. Stanton Arnold, was published in the Frankfort Daily Index, September 9,1943. The club was organized September 9, 1923.
United States agriculture as it will relate tochanging world alignments was discussed by Dr. James C. Malin of Lawrence in anarticle "Mobility and History: Reflections on the Agricultural Policies of theUnited States in Relation to a Mechanized World," in Agricultural History,Washington, D. C., October, 1943.
Historical articles of interest to Kansans byVictor Murdock, which have appeared recently in his column in the Wichita(Evening) Eagle, include: "Growing Use ofSalt One of Developments in Wichita's History," November 6, 1943; "First ReallyBusy Day [Arrival of the Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry] on the Site of Wichita Camein November, 1868," November 12; "That Dance at Kellogg's [November 13, 1868]Opening of Social Era in the City of Wichita," November 15; "When the OpenCountry Westward of Wichita Was Truly Unknown Land ," November 16; "Episode[Stampede of Hundreds of Horses] on Prairies Southwest of Wichita That Was Most.Unusual," November 17; "Some Travel Essentials [Water, Wood and Grass] in theWichita Area That Have Disappeared," November 18; "Era in Which the Area Beyondthe Arkansas River Southwest of Wichita Was Wholly Without a Pioneer's Home,"November 19; "Survey of Their Trees on a Thanks
giving Day by the Early Wichitans," November 25; "Progress of the MatchThrough the Stretch Covered by Wichita," December 1; "Striking Figure of WestPresented by a General, William Selby Harney," December 2; "Two Very EarlyCallers [Peter Ridenour and Frank Hunt] to Wichita's Vicinity Rode in FromLawrence [in 1857]," December 3; "Memory of Albert Jay Brown of the Way He Usedto Haul Hay to Wichita . . . ," December 6; "Selling Corn to Ranch . . . ,Episode in Which Figured H. D. Heiserman and a Couple of Neighbors From SedgwickCounty in the Winter of 1879," December 7; "Buffalo Hunt Tactics That Got BestResults in Robes and in Meat," December 8; "Description of a Violent Tempest WithTornadic Features That Visited This Vicinity in the Fall of 1854," December 9;"Captain John Chisholm, Grandfather of Jesse, Earliest Resident Here," December10; "Travels of Prairie Jesse [Chisholm], Original Resident Here, Over the VastSouthwest," December 11; "Early Household Here, That of Jesse Chisholm [BelowThirteenth Street on North Chisholm Creek], Numbered Large Family," December 13;"Origin of Two Names in the Wichita Tribe, the Waco and Towakony [Indians],"December 14; "Incident in the [Indian] Exodus From Wichita in 1867 to theTerritory South," December 15; "Sight of a Tree Here That Brought Delight to anEarly Voyageur [Lt. James B. Wilkinson, 1806]," December 16; "Last of ArmedSpaniards to Set Foot in Kansas, Don Fracunda Malgares ," December 18;"Splitting Buffalo Herd [in 1857] As a Defense Maneuver by U. S. Cavalry Force,"December 22; "Effect on the Interior of This Country of an Act Sponsored byWilliam Henry Harrison Which Put Public Domain Within Reach of the Poor Man,"December 24; "Once Focal in Wichita and Region Around It Was the U. S. LandOffice," December 27; "Vocation in the West, That of Interpretation, ProminentOne in Past," December 28; "Notable Prairie Guide, Black Beaver, Delaware,Covered This Region," December 29; "Switch in Frontier Dress From Original StylesWas Witnessed in Wichita," December 30.
Early newspapermen in Butler, Sedgwick and Lyoncounties were recalled by J. M. Satterthwaite in a column article in his DouglassTribune, November 26, 1943.
The forty-fifth anniversary of John Redmond'spurchase of The Jefersonian, predecessor of The Daily Republican,of Burlington, was celebrated at the annual correspondents' party at Burlington,December 5, 1943, the Republican of December 7, reported. The same issue alsofeatured a two and one-half column history of Burlington Lodge No. 66, A. F.& A. M. The lodge was chartered October 21, 1868.
Some old bridges still spanning the streams ofsoutheast Kansas were mentioned by Fred Brinkerhoff in the PittsburgHeadlight, December 18, 1943.
A. P. Elder recalled the organization of a goodroads association for Kansas in 1904, in the Ottawa Herald, December 31,1943. In Franklin county prizes were awarded for the best dragged roads, andnames of the winners of 1907 were printed.
Early Phillips county history was brieflyreviewed by Cecil Kingery in The Phillips County Review, Phillipsburg,January 6, 1944.
Brief notes on the founding of Augusta, asrecalled in a pageant written by Miss Stella B. Haines, were printed in theAugusta Daily Gazette, January 20, 1944. The town was named for Augusta,wife of C. N. James. Mr. James was the town's first settler and first mayor.
William Allen White died on Kansas day, January29, 1944, at the age of 75. Following his death newspapers and magazines of thenation published biographical information and anecdotes about him. A largeportrait was reproduced in the January 29 issue of the Emporia Gazette, thenewspaper he published for nearly fifty years, and in the same issue and othersfollowing, messages of tribute and acknowledgments were printed.
The Gnadenau settlement in Marion county, atypical Mennonite community, was briefly discussed by Cornelius Krahn in anillustrated article in the February, 1944, issue of The American-GermanReview, published by the Carl Schurz Memorial Foundation of Philadelphia, Pa.The Gnadenau settlers came from the Crimea in 1874 under the leadership of JacobA. Wiebe, the article reported.
A brief history of the Mitchell mill built onClarks creek in 1855 was sketched by W. W. Roux in the Junction City Republic,December 2, 1943. One of the mill stones is now in the Manhattan City Park.