Hill City, Graham County, Kansas
Mr. Grecian when speaking of the future of our county says he considers it most promising.
His sales, including all departments, are at least a third heavier than they were last year and are sufficient to warrant him in contemplating several material improvements in the business in the coming year. He, has added to his assistants, until now four regular clerks are employed with an additional two on the busiest days.
Mr. Grecian married Miss Nellie Joy of Emporia, and to this union was born one child, a bright and attractive boy.
I'm sorry I didn't come here sooner, said Mr. George McCord, a recent but most valuable addition to our Hill City Mechanics. Mr. McCord came to Hill City a little over a year ago, and bought the repair and blacksmith shop belonging to S. Nevins.
It is said that competition is the life of trade, and when a new firm enters upon a business career in a place like Hill City and holds not only the trade of his predecessor but adds to it so materially as has McCord in a few months time, it substantiates the theory that success is obtained through the force of energy, industry and honorable dealings, and in keeping pace with the times. People will go where they get the best service for their money and they have found Mr. McCords shop such a place.
In a year he has put in improvements amounting to $700 and today values his shop at $2000.
Three skilled workmen are kept busy and McCord says they have not had an idle day in the fourteen months they have been in Hill City.
The shop is well equipped with all kinds of Modern machinery for blacksmithing and repairing, having three forges, a disc grinder, trip hammer and power drill with gasoline engine.
Mr. McCord intends to put in necessary machinery for a machine shop, also a drill press and band saw.
We may attribute this mans success in a degree at least to his marked enthusiasm and in love for his chosen trade.
Mr. McCord moved to Hill City in April, 1905, from Lyon county. He lives one mile east of the city limits with his family consisting of five sons and two daughters.
One of the most reliable and progressive business houses in Hill City today, is the hardware and implement house belonging to Newton Wetzel.
Reliable and progressive are excellent watchwords and denote many things-- ambition, desire to please and energy. This establishment is built upon such a foundation and is bound to prosper. One thing certain, there is no mercantile house in Hill City of more direct importance from a commercial point of view to the farmer. It has been the policy of this house to handle good articles and to avoid selling inferior goods.
This store is one of the largest in town, having three store rooms, and a fifty by twenty storage shed for implements.
Mr. Wetzel bought this stock from Mr. Rowe two years ago in February, for a consideration of $10,000. The store may be divided into four departments, implements, wagon and buggies, harness and hardware. A tin shop is maintained in connection with the store. Four men are employed regularly, with extra help during the implement season.
This store is enjoying increasing trade which goes to show what a man of energy nerve and industry is capable of doing.
Newton Wetzel is a native of Pennsylvania, it was in that state that he received his education grew to manhood and was married. Some sixteen years ago Mrs. Wetzel died, leaving Mr. Wetzel with four children, the youngest a boy only a few months old.
In 1896 Mr. Wetzel brought his family to Graham county and for eight years lived on his farm near Bogue.
In February, 1904 when he bought the hardware store he moved with his family to Hill City where they have since resided. The youngest, son, a boy of fifteen met a tragic death last November, leaving but three children, two at home and the other married and living on a farm near Bogue.
That which best tells of the commercial life of a town is the condition of its banks.
The Graham County State Bank has had a successful career of seven years. Neither boom periods nor seasons of depression have affected it. It has extended such accommodations to its customers as to help them tide their business over in the dullest months. From time of organization to the present, the officers claim this bank has lessened cost of banking to the people. The policy of the bank is also to build up a surplus and undivided profits which is now equivalent to $20,000, making a total capital of $30,000. It is one of the few banks in the state which is on the roll of honor published by State Bank Commissioner.
This is distinctly a bank for the people and has by its own meritorious career earned the confidence of entire Graham county.
This bank was opened for business on January 3, 1899 with a capital stock of $10,000. The deposits in 1900 were $15,305.22 and this year they amount to $80,987.69, showing an extraordinary growth.
The present officers are, President, Dr. I. B. Parker, Vice President, J. W. Jenkins, Cashier, L. Messick, Assistant Cashier, S. G. Wilson. The directors are M. G. Findley, Minnie Craig, F. B. Jordon, in addition to the above named officers.
Graham County State Bank at Hill City, State of Kansas, at the close of business on the 6th day of April, 1906.
|Loans and discounts||$80,645.04|
|Loans on real estate||500.00|
|Cash, sight exchange, legal reserve||26,391.99|
|Capital stock paid in||$10,000.00|
|Dividends declared but not paid||1,000.00|
|Certificates of deposit||15,847.09|
|Collections not remitted||114.15|
L. Messick, cashier and manager came to Kansas in 1886 from Illinois where he graduated from the Illinois State Normal University in 1884 and taught the two intervening years.
In 86 he attended the State Teachers Association at Topeka, from which place he came west to Trego county, to visit his sister, and accepted the position as superintendent of the schools at Hays City.
In 1889 he was married in Carlyle, Illionois [sic], to Miss Jessie L. Cook, and came to Hill City where he established himself in the school furniture business.
Mr. Messick, by his conscientious business principles and genial manner has made himself an important factor in the business life of Hill City.
When the Graham County State Bank was organized in 1899, he became its cashier, which place he has filled successfully for seven years. He also organized the Citizens State Bank of Morland in which he is a Director.
His family consists of a wife and two daughters, Lodema and Jessie Lea.
Hill City has its full quota of intelligent, enterprising and energetic business men who see the possibilities which this county presents for the creation of homes and the location of industries. They are willing to devote both time and money to community advancement.
Such men are termed builders of cities and they are rightly named. Among their number none have demonstrated their value to the best interest of the city more effectually than has Dr. Ivan B. Parker.
Dr. Parker was born in Delaware county, Iowa, in 1871, and moved to Graham county 21 years ago with his mother who homesteaded south of Millbrook. He received his early education in Millbrook and later attended the State Agricultural College at Manhattan where he took the B. A. degree in 1891.
For a year he traveled on the Pacific coast and after returning, was married to Miss Mary L. Findley of Millbrook, in September, 1892. To this union 6 children were born, 4 of whom are living.
In 1894 Dr. Parker took his M. D. degree from the Kansas City Medical College and began to practice medicine in Morland. But times were hard and he taught school a part of two years to help meet expenses.
In 1898 Dr. Parker came with his family to Hill City where he built up a splendid practice, but in 1903 sold his practice to Dr. Lottie Findley and went to Oregon where he engaged in the lumber business. On account of his health he left Oregon and traveled extensively in the west, returning to Hill City this year and resuming his practice.
Dr. Parker has natural skill and adaptability to his profession and has been exceptionally successful both as a physician and surgeon. He has a good practice.
Dr. Parker is President of the Graham County State Bank, also, director of the Citizens State Bank of Morland.
He is erecting a modern two story residence which will cost some $2,500. He owns some valuable Graham county lands and a number of town lots in Hill City.
Hill Citys infant industry, operated by the Graham County Mill and Elevator Company and established four months ago with a capital stock of $20,000 of home capital has been a source of profit to the investors and a great convenience to the public. The first three months a business of over $15,000 was done.
We were introduced to the mill and its machinery by the genial miller, W. M. Beeghley, and found the newest and best machinery through-
out. On the first floor we found six double stands of 9x18 A. P. Allis rolls and the flour and bran packers; on the second floor, 3 Whitmore purifiers, 2 wheat scourers and 1 Perfection dust collector and on the third floor a Barnard and Lee Plan Sifter, 3 Barnard and Lees round reels, 1 double Perfection dust collector, the bolting machine and 1 corn cleaner.
The power house, a stone structure, is supplied by a 12x36 Sioux City Corliss Engine with a boiler measuring 60 inches by 16 feet. From this-power house the main building is supplied with steam heat and electric lights. The mill has a capacity of 130 barrels per day or 3900 barrels per month and the running expenses per month average $300.
The greater part of the wheat used is the Red Russian or Turkey wheat which sells at present for 68 cts. a bushel grown and marketed by the farmers of Graham county. Three grades of flour are made; the first patent, the straight grade and the third grade. The first patent is the best, selling for $2.50 per hundred, while the straight sells for $2.30 per hundred.
In connection with the mill is an elevator with a capacity of 13,000 bushels. The elevator is supplied with a Barnard & Lees receiving separator and a Barnard & Lees milling separator.
The officers are, W. G. Saunders, Manager, O. P. King, President; W. M. Beeghley, Secretary.
In all the towns of Graham county nearly all the business men are farmers. If they do not own farms out in the country, as many of them do, they are town farmers. Not the kind that loaf about town and let the women and children do the farming, but they live on farms adjoining the town. Some of these are the most successful and scientific farmers we have, and among this class is our well known citizen Jerome Shoup.
Mr. Shoup is a native of Illinois and was married there. He came to Graham county in 1879 and homesteaded in Pioneer township. In addition to his homestead he took a timber claim of 80 acres.
For ten years he resided on this farm and was one of Graham countys most prosperous and successful stock raisers and farmers. In 1891 he was chosen as sheriff and bought a half section of land joining Hill City, where he built a home and moved his family.
Mr. Shoup served two terms as sheriff and was a creditable and satisfactory officer. He is a very pleasant gentleman generous in conceding to all men the right to think and speak for themselves. He is a staunch reformer and for a number of years was conspicuous before the people of Graham county as a politician. In 1899 Mr. Shoup represented his county in the State Legislature. He was conscientious and pains-taking in looking after the interest of his agricultural friends and honest and fearlessly represented his constituency.
Mr. Shoup owns 16 quarter sections of Graham county land with five hundred acres under cultivation. But he still resides on his quarter section adjoining Hill City which is exceptionally good land, fifty acres of this quarter section is in alfalfa and the first cutting this year yielded two tons to the acre.
Mr. Shoup values his alfalfa lands at $60 an acre.
His place gives evidence of comfort and thrift with a grove of trees
surrounding his neat 7 roomed home and his new well built out buildings.
Mr. Shoup owns 150 head of high grade white face cattle and 15 head of horses. Though he was at one time a heavy property owner in Hill City he has disposed of it with the exception of one stone store building on Main street.
Mr. Shoup has always been an active member of the Christian church. He built the Hotel De Shoup in Hill City but sold it to D. J. Hanna.
A J. Rice of the Rice Land Company of Hill City, owns some one hundred quarter sections of Graham and Rooks county land, which he holds for speculation.
It is pleasant to do business with a throughly [sic] reliable man, one in whose judgment you can place absolute confidence, and as such we cheerfully recommend A. J. Rice.
He is an excellent judge of human nature and to this is due to a large measure of his success, for in carrying on the business, he has had to depend on the industry, integrity and ability of those about him.
The greater part of his 16,000 acres are under cultivation; most of it being planted in wheat, and on the land which he does not lease or have operated on shares, he himself superintends the planting and harvesting of the grain.
Mr. Rice is best known as the wheat king of Kansas and although his home is not in Graham county, she claims much of his time and interest.
A. J. Rice came from York State to Atchison county, Kansas in 1876,
and speculated extensively in land there where his largest interests still are. He claims as his home Effingham in Atchison county. Twelve years ago he became interested in Graham county lands beginning operations here [with] twenty quarters and has increased those possession [sic] until last year his taxes on farm land amounted to $1500. This season he has 2,500 acres of his land in alfalfa and 10,000 acres in wheat.
Mr. Rice is familiar with the value of lands in all parts of Kansas, and considers those of Graham county a better investment than the older and higher priced lands of the eastern portion of the State.
Ben S. Smith, of Scotch-English descent was born in Ontario, Canada in 1870; came to Graham county with his parents seventeen years ago and settled on a farm south of Lenora. Eight years of his life was spent in teaching, one year of it as principal of the Hill City schools.
In 1895 he was elected to the office of Register of Deeds and proved a most efficient officer.
For the last four years he has been in the employ of the Kerns Lumber Company of this city.
There is probably not a man in business here who enjoys a larger circle of-acquaintances or greater confidence of his friends than does Ben Smith.
Every cloud is said to have a silver lining and Ben always wears his cloud inside out so he can see the lining.
His first six years in Graham county are noted in his memory for containing more downs than ups. But since 1895, business has taken a more prosperous turn and today he has a corner lot on East Street.
Four years ago Mr. Smith bought 480 acres of well-improved land
one mile west of Hill City, one hundred acres of this farm is under cultivation, one acre of it in orchard. A number of living springs feed the creek which runs through his place, furnishing water to the stock the year around. While a goodly number of acres are used for grain raising, the farm is distinctly a stock farm, and is valued at $6000.
In addition to this Mr. Smith owns five quarters of land which he holds for speculation; five hundred acres of this are devoted to the growing of wheat; the remainder of it is open prairie suitable for pasture land. This tract is about ten miles from the Union Pacific railroad and would have access to the Hill City rural route and telephone.
Mr. Smith is an ardent admirer of Graham county and an enthusiastic worker in her interests.
In retrospection he speaks of the hot winds and drouths which visited Graham county in the early times and for scientific and practical reasons prophecies a future for her free from any such calamities.
From among the tillers of the soil have come the most satisfactory officers of our country. Men, strong in body, vigorous of mind, and imbued with honesty of purpose, in accepting the duties of office bring to their work the essential qualifications which give satisfaction to the people.
In E. E. Brandt, our County Treasurer is exemplified, and instance of this kind and his acts in office have received no criticism from any party.
His life should be an inspiration to every young man. He is rigidly and conscientiously just. He never did an act or spoke a word for policys sake. He is true to every obligation and devotedly loyal to his friends. Such men are the salt of the earth.
Mr. Brandt settled in Graham county, Allodium township, in 1885. He built a sod house and bached for five years, working at $18 per month. In 1891 he was married to Miss Stella Earnheart of Blue Springs, Neb-
raska, who was for three years a teacher in Sheridan and in Graham counties. Three children were born to them.
He kept a store and was postmaster at Lucerne, Kansas.
During the hard time of the latter 80's he credited out most of his goods and could not meet his bills. Each day when he opened his store for business he looked for the sheriff to step in and take possession.
Thinking to reestablish himself, Mr. Brandt began farming in 1891, but owing to hot winds and drouths and consequent failure of crops he was forced to sell much of his stock at a very low price. But with courage and perseverance he continued until in 1893, when an investment in hogs brought him a handsome margin From that time on Mr. Brandts prosperity has far exceeded his adversity.
Mr. Brandt says he owes his good fortune to corn, land and hogs He now owns 1400 acres of land the most of which he values at $30 an acre and an 800 acre farm is exceptionally well improved The residence, a commodious house of 12 rooms is worthy of special mention.
In addition to this Mr. Brandt owns a comfortable home in Hill City.
In 1895 Mr. Brandt opened a store and the post office, Gradan, on his farm, and conducted the same until 1902 when he was elected County Treasurer of Graham county.
To quote from Mr. Brandt, I have cleared $1000 a year over all expenses since I was married in 1891 I owe my success to my perseverance and good health. I am anxious to return to the old home place and stay there the remainder of my days Graham county is good enough for me.
In one of the most picturesque spots in Kansas, sixteen miles northwest of Hill City, is the well improved farm of Harry G. Hanselman known as Valley-View Farm.
Some twenty years ago Mr. Hanselmans father homesteaded in that part of Graham county, and the young man learned early to appreciate the possibilities of the county. When a boy he stood on the rise of ground on which he intends soon to build his new home, and saw the rolling country for twenty-five miles in every direction without a single house or improvement. A few days ago we stood with Mr. Hanselman on that same ground, of which he is justly proud, and marked with pleasure, the many fine houses and green fields of waving wheat and alfalfa that make the country a picture of thrift and prosperity.
Six years ago Mr. Hanselman bought his first quarter of land for $300 and three years later added to it a second quarter for which he paid $800.
Of his 320 acres he has put 280 under cultivation, and his full wheat bins and bursting corn-cribs give evidence of the rich soil and good farming.
Mr. Hanselman is rightly proud of his fine orchard of 700 young bearing fruit trees. A goodly number of his cherry trees are the Early Richmond, which are but three years old, and bearing luxurantly.
Mr. Hanselman has a nice lot of Early Golden Apricots, (see illustration) four years old, averaging about twelve feet high.
The Bella George and Sneeds peach trees are worthy of special note, because of the size and big yield of fruit. We saw one five year old Bella George tree whose foliage measured twenty feet in diameter.
Mr. Hanselman does not confine his interests entirely to farming, but gives equal attention to the thoroughbred Poland China hogs which he owns He can well be called the pioneer hog raiser of Graham county, having begun ten years ago to buy thoroughbred stock Of the fifty Poland Chinas which he now owns, seven are registered and all are eligible.
Though Mr. Hanselmans farm is a goodly distance from any town he does not feel out of communication with people, for a Lenora rural route passes his door and his telephone is connected with both the Hill City and the Lenora exchange.
He has recently been offered $7,000 for his half section, but will not sell for any price, and intends within a year or two, to build a fine cement home on the spot on his farm which we believe to furnish the most splendid view in all Graham county.
Mr. Hanselman is a man known throughout the county as one of her products which she is proud to claim.
He was married in 1894 to Miss Scott, a resident of Iowa, but at the time of their marriage, a guest of her sister, Mrs. White of Graham county To them were born two children a boy and a girl.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Hanselman were successful school teachers for a number of years and have been even more successful in succeeding undertakings.
For a year and a half they have rented their farm, and lived in Hill City, where Mr. Hanselmans office as stockholder and manager of the Mutual Telephone Company has brought him.
But the charms of Graham county farm life for Mr. and Mrs. Hanselman are greater than any that can be offered elsewhere, and they are contemplating moving to the farm in the early fall.
While Hill City is certainly as healthy as any community, like all others she needs doctors occasionally, and if there is one thing in the world that you want the best of, it is the best doctoring.
Hill City has several physicians, competent in every way and deserv-
ing of all praise, but there is one to whom we wish to call your special attention. That one is Dr. Lottie R. Findley.
She was born in Osage county, Kansas in 1880 and moved with her parents to Graham county when she was but 6 years of age. Her father homesteaded three miles east of Morland, and four years later her mother died.
Dr. Findley is one of eleven children, nine of which are still living, and four are at present interested in medicine, a boy and a girl as doctors, and a boy and a girl as pharmacists.
When she had finished the schools here she went to Topeka where she entered the medical college, and two years later became a student in the Womans Medical College of Kansas City, from which she took her Doctors degree in 1902, when she was 22 years of age.
Dr. Findleys first year of actual practice was in Centropolis, Fanklin county Three years ago she came to Hill City and bought the office and practice of Dr. Parker Since that time she has not only enlarged her practice but has won for herself the esteem and appreciation of the people of Graham county and adjoining counties.
Dr. Lottie, as people love to call her, endears herself to the sick and their friends by her strong, sympathetic nature and deep interest in and devotion to them.
The explicit confidence which people have in her is due largely to her thorough and up-to-date knowledge of medicines She spares no effort or expense to keep acquainted with the latest discoveries and inventions in the medical world, and has one of the best equipped offices in western Kansas In her operating room is a Static electrical battery with X-Ray attachment This battery is recommended by the best of medical fraternities for the treatment of rheumatism, nervous troubles and neuralgia For the location of fractures, dislocations, broken bones, etc., and for the
treatment of cancers and all other skin diseases, the X-Ray machine is without an equal, and Doctor Findley finds it of unestimable value in her practice She has a well filled case of modern and well selected surgical instruments and is well equipped for all minor surgical work.
She has given particular attention to the eye and its diseases, has in her office a Trial Case for testing eyes and has had marked success in fitting glasses and treating eyes.
Dr. Findley fills and compounds all her prescriptions from her own drug stock which invoices close to $800.
Her large practice makes it necessary for her to keep 2 teams, and many days in addition to taking care of 15 or 20 patients in the office, she drives nearly a hundred miles to see her country patients She considers it necessary that a successful practitioner have all the latest scientific treatise on diseases and remedies and has a well selected medical library.
Dr. Findley is as fond of Graham county as Graham county is of her and as an evidence of her confidence in our county and regard for her people, she has bought a nine roomed cottage, where she makes an ideal home for her aged father.
The Howland Real Estate and Abstract Company was organized in February, 1906. Their well equipped offices are opposite the Court House on Pomeroy avenue, where an extensive land business is carried on.
Mr. Howland is more than pleased with his extraordinary success in securing on his sale list some of the best lands in the county, and in interesting land buyers in the east.
The company though but four months old, has over 30,000 acres of Graham county land on their books in addition to some twelve residence properties in Hill City.
They have for sale 5 mercantile stocks in Graham county, one hardware, one furniture, one drug and three general merchandise. This company owns the only complete set of abstracts in the county which is a valuable acquisition to a real estate office.
Mr. Howland represents several grain and life insurance companies.
This is a reliable up-to-date rustling business house as is evidenced by its already large patronage and list of Graham county properties They appreciate the value of printers ink and are extensive advertisers.
This firm is prominent among Hill City business enterprises and is thoroughly public spirited and in any enterprise pertaining to the citys good, they are always found at the front willing to give all the assistance possible.
Mr. F. A. Howland is a native of Kansas born in Geneva, Allen
county, December, 1868. His parents lived on a farm near that place for 41 years, but are now making their home in Iola.
Howland is an architect, cabinet maker, and carpenter by trade having studied with the well known firm of Sheppard and Farr of Kansas City. In 1900 he came to Hill City and worked at his trade until January, 1906, when he began the organization of his real estate company.
Mrs. Ellen F. Howland was born in New York of full French parents. Her parents moved to Graham county in 1878, homesteaded in Millsbrook township and engaged in stock raising and farming. Her father, C. Fountain, was the first elected Register of Deed, and served from 1880 to 1887. Mrs. Howland was his assistant, working out of school hours. During this time she learned to be an expert type-setter.
In 1896 she was elected Register of Deeds on the Republican ticket, and in 1898 was renominated, no campaign was necessary as the other two parties indorsed her.
In 1897, Mrs. Howland bought the C. O. Wonder abstract books, which is the only complete set in Graham county. She has since that time, kept them complete, and aside from her.abstract work, she is deputy clerk of the district court.
Mr. and Mrs. Howland own their home, a neat $3,000 cottage in the exact center of the town site. They also own a town property which they rent and 400 acres of good pasture land under fence, well watered, with four living springs.
Mr. and Mrs. Howland have three children, 2 daughters and 1 son.
Heres Medicos head quarters exploiting all thats made in pharmacy. No harm I see in thus inviting trade, and here on exhibition, from
all the famous marts; are these mystic aids, which pretty maids, employ in toilet arts.
G. B. Browns drug and jewelry store is one of the best equipped and neatest stores in Hill City. One of the most important features of this house is the prescription department in care of Miss Maude Long, an expert registered pharmacist and a graduate of the pharmacy department of Kansas University. Physicians prescriptions are filled here from new and pure drugs and with promptness and care.
Mr. Brown carries an extensive line of jewelry having increased his $1400 stock of jewelry to $3000 in less than two years.
he makes a specialty in watches of the Hamilton, Wathams, Elgin and South Bend movements and the Boss, Crescent and Crown cases, and carries the Seth Thomas clock.
At first Mr. Brown sold the 7 jewel watch, but is now selling the 15 jewel and his jewelry customers are growing rapidly.
A complete line of books, magazines and stationer is displayed at the store, also all stringed instruments and the Edison Phonogragh.
Of toilet articles there is no end, including everything from a powder box to the finest of stag toilet sets. The display of decorated china, silverware and cut glass makes the store especially attractive to the feminine eye. Mr. Brown makes a specialty of sporting goods and carries a good line of Reach and Spaulding ball supplies. Any patent medicine one would wish can be found at this store together with the Uncle Sam, Pratts, International and Hess, stock foods, besides paints, oils and glass.
An interesting feature of the drug store, especially in the summer months is a fine $800 soda fountain which adorns its north wall. There is also an ice cream plant equipped with a gasoline engine which is kept busy during the hot season supplying the many warm and thirsty customers. Mr. Brown came to Hill City from Natoma, Kansas 5 years ago and had a line of jewelry in Grecians Drug Store. In October 1904 he bought the $1500 stock of drugs belonging to Mr. Ebnother and increased it to $3000, until now his entire stock is valued at $6000, and his trade is growing rapidly. Mr. Brown owns an interest in the drug store at Morland, besides a $2000 grain farm in Graham county which shows he has confidence in Graham countys future.
Scarcely an industry in Hill City can boast of so rapid development as can the Hill City Bottling Works. Their straightforward business methods coupled with a knowledge of their business has made a demand for their goods that is indeed gratifying.
This factory began business two months ago and is now selling 25 cases of pop per day, which speaks for the quality of the goods. They make all flavors, having a capacity of 100 cases a day and supplying the trade of neighboring towns. We predict that this business will continue to grow rapidly as a natural result of the high grade of goods that they are producing.
In connection with this pop factory is the Star Bakery and confectionery. Large qualities of palatable bread, pies and cakes are baked here and the finest line of candies in the city are found in their cases.
As the demand was great, a lunch counter was put in, which department the proprietors intend to enlarge soon.
The middle of June an ice-cream parlor will be added to the establishment. Here are found the most select and popular brands of cigars, smoking and chewing tobacco. Davis & Downs, the proprietors deserve great credit for establishing a business of this high order in Hill City, and is deserving of the support and encouragement of the populace.
Mr. Davis is a native of Missouri where he was married, but lived in Colorado Springs, twelve years prior to his coming to Hill City last April. Though comparatively new here, he has by his genial and courteous manner won for himself a lot of friends.
Benjamin Franklin Poston was born in Kentucky in 1836 and moved at an early age with his parents to Missouri. Though he was in Kansas for a short time in the early fifties he did not locate permanently in the state until 1875, when he moved to Concordia. Here he bought a 240 acre, well improved stock farm adjoining Concordia on the east, and engaged extensively in stock raising. He invested somewhat in other properties, owning half interest in drug store in addition to a fine residence. In 1887 Mr. Poston sold his interests in Concordia and came to Hill City, where he bought the General Merchandise Store belonging to Minnier, in the Wheeler market building. He also bought a large farm lying two rniles south of Hill City. In 1892 he sold his stock of merchandise to the Wonder brothers and invested his money in cattle. In the winter of 1893, while enroute to the Kansas City market with four car loads of cattle he was in the long-to-be-remembered Linwood wreck. In the car which Mr. Poston occupied were eighteen men, nine of whom were killed outright. Mr. Poston was seriously injured, having two fingers, four ribs, his nose and his glottis broken, besides being seriously cut and bruised. He was taken to hospital Margarette in Kansas City, Kansas, where
he was compelled to remain two months. When he was able to return, home he began proceedings in a damage suit against the Union Pacific railroad company. After two years of litigation the supreme court rendered a decision allowing Mr. Poston $8000 in addition to interest for two years, amounting to $10,000. He continued in the cattle business until 1898, when he sold his stock and invested in Graham county lands until now he owns some 2000 acres of well improved wheat lands. He rents all but 600 acres which is planted in wheat and which he himself farms.
Mr. Postons home property, built two years in July, is the most elegant in Hill City. It has twelve rooms with all modern improvements and cost $5000. Mr. Poston has served the township as justice of the Peace for three years and his official acts have been most satisfactory. There is no man in Hill City more highly respected than is Mr. Poston.
He has taken great interest in the upbuilding of the town and is in every respect a genial and obliging gentleman. Mr. and Mrs. Poston were married twenty-eight years ago next July. Of his family of one daughter and two sons the youngest son Perle, is at home. Ben, the other son, is mail clerk out of Kansas City, and the daughter is married and lives in Missouri.
A first class butcher shop kept according to modern ideas and conducted with personal skill and intelligence is a great boon to any community. In this respect Hill City is amply provided for, by Mr. McManis, who has a most complete establishment of this kind.
He bought the closed Wheeler market last September and has been doing a good business since. His fixtures, counters, racks, blocks and tools are all of high class and not only is he properly equipped for the
business but he is an expert butcher and has been engaged in the business fifteen years.
He keeps constantly in stock the choicest of beeves, veal, and pork, as well as a very high grade of home-cured hams and breakfast bacon. He renders his own lard, makes his own sausage. All the fresh fruits and vegetables in season are to be found at this market.
To supply his trade, he buys from eastern markets or directly from
the farmers, always making careful selections. The McManis shop is always neat and clean. In addition to his market Mr. McManis.carries a $500 stock of groceries and has two well stocked ice houses from which he supplies summer ice customers.
He owns his own slaughter house and feed yards, the latter accommodating one hundred head of cattle and one hundred head of hogs.
Mr. McManis is very courteous and accommodating and is always ready and willing to please his patrons. He keeps two men constantly in his employ and runs a delivery wagon for both his own and his customers convenience.
Mr. McManis is a native of Iowa and moved with his parents to Phillips county, Kansas, when he was fifteen years old. Since coming to manhood he has been continuously engaged in the market business having owned shops in Stockton, Phillips county, Colorado and Hill City.
Mr. McManis family consists of a wife and one small daughter.
J. A. Bundy M. D., of this city, is a physcian and surgeon of the regular school and has a natural skill and adaptability for his chosen pro-