Hill City, Graham County, Kansas
been in the county since 1882. He came from a farm in Illinois and settled on a ranch south of Bogue, but later became engaged in the mercantile and grain business.
On January 4th, 1896, Mr. Mullaney, came to Hill City, bought stock in the Farmers and Merchants Bank and became its cashier.
He owns eight quarter sections of land, valued at $15.00 an acre-and is a stockholder in the Smith Dry Goods Store. He also owns a $3,000.00 home which is one of the most modern and comfortable homes in Hill City. The grounds show the exercise of much care and good taste, in their fine trees and many flowering shrubs.
Mr. Mullaney's family consists of a wife and one daughter, an attractive and promising girl of 16 years. His aged mother is also a member of the household.
Sometime over a quarter of a century ago, when this flourishing commonwealth of Kansas was in its infancy, and shortly after the first settlers had come to Graham county, Mr. Garnett of Page county, Iowa, came to seek his fortune in the unsettled west. He was poorly endowed with this world's goods but possessed a large amount of intellect, pluck, energy and confidence in himself and the country of his adoption. Mr. Garnett took for his homestead a part of what is now Hill City.
Robert B. Garnett the subject of this sketch, was but 10 years of age in 1879, when he came with his parents to Graham county.
He received his education entirely in Kansas, graduating in the first class from the Graham county public schools, and attending the Stockton Academy and the Salina Normal.
During his early manhood he clerked in several stores, among them
the Boston Cash Store and Mellotte's Mercantile Store. But in the autumn of 1897 he was elected to the office of County Clerk on the Populist ticket and two years later was reelected. This position Mr. Garnett held with honor to himself and credit to his party. The duties of office are exacting, and it is a position that calls for men of intelligence and clerical ability. He established the fact that he was methodical, competent and industrious.
In the last term of his official service Mr. Garnett formed a partnership with P. A. Moyer in the mercantile business. On his retirement from office he bought Mr. Moyer's interest in the store and became sole proprietor.
In 1903 a partnership was formed with A. G. Morris, W. Sayers, and P. A..Moyer, the stock was increased and the store began business under the name of the Hill City Mercantile Co. This partnership was dissolved in January of 1906 when Mr. Garnett sold his interest in the store.
In 1904 Mr. Garnett bought stock in the Farmers and Merchants Bank and became its assistant cashier. He has a reputation for being honest, courteous and accomodating to all customers and is a valuable acquisition to the bank force.
Mr. Garnett was married to Miss Ola Clark in 1904, while she was County Superintendent of Graham county.
He owns two quarter sections of land in Millbrook township, eighty acres north of Hill City and a number of town lots in addition to his neat, well kept cottage of six rooms.
The subject of this sketch was born in Cincinnati in 1837 and moved to Boston in early manhood. His father was a fiancier [sic] and was associated with J. Gould in railroad enterprises.
J. P. Pomeroy's wife and daughter are burried [sic] in Boston while his eldest daughter and sole heir is married and, with her husband lives in that place.
Mr. Pomeroy has been a tourist in many lands, and there are but few countries on the globe with which he is not familiar.
His varied experiences and many years of contact with men have made him an interesting personality, and the story of his life is like a most interesting book.
Mr. Pomeroy inherited not only his father's wealth but also his keen commercial insight and good financial judgment, and today has many and varied business interests, which make him one of the greatest developers, improvers and promoters of the Great West. And not the least important to him, and by far the most important to us among his many business interests, is his interest in Graham county and subsequently in Hill City.
Few small western towns are so fortunate as is Hill City in having so altruistic a friend. For twenty years he has never lost faith in the possibilities of this county and has given evidence of his confidence in a most substantial manner.
Mr. Pomeroy is a heavy owner of western Kansas lands, and bought most of his 60,000 acres in this vicinity in 1885, with a total investment in western Kansas of something over $500,000.00. Since that time Mr. Pomeroy has never witheld [sic] his personal interest or check where the advancement or growth of Hill City's best interests were concerned. Among his chief investments in and around Hill City are, the Boston Store, which building he still owns and values at $10,000.00; the Pomeroy Hotel a well furnished, modern commercial house, worth $9,000.00; some forty residences, built in 1890 of which he still owns five; a number of good business buildings and twenty stone cottages which are now being erected and sold as soon as completed.
Mr. Pomeroy built and gave to Graham county, the Court House which cost him $20,000.00. He is the heaviest taxpayer in the county, having paid an average of $5,000.00 annually into its treasury for some 20 years.
Perhaps his greatest gift to Graham county, even to the Great West is the promotion of the Campbell system of soil culture. Prof. Campbell had been unable to interest capital in his theory and, not having sufficient means to develop it, had been unable to make it practical. Mr. Pomeroy gave evidence of his interest in the agricultural interests of Graham county, when he established and maintained the Model Farm of 480 acres, for the trial of this proposed method of farming. Every production of this soil has been tested under this system on the Model Farm, and the yield has, in almost every instance, been three times that of the average. Mr. Pomeroy's interest in the benefits of this system has caused him to establish such farms throughout: the semi-arid districts of the west, in Texas, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona, and many thousand acres of arid land have been reclaimed for agricultural purposes through his efforts. Recently our Model Farm was sold to H. H. Barbee.
Mr. Pomeroy has put on the market all of his Graham County lands, and his instructions to his agents have been to sell as far as possible in small tracts, and without exception to honest, reputable citizens, thereby making the sale of each section, a gain of a good citizen to Graham county.
Among the many interests which are claiming his attention are his offices as President of the Farm Land Development Company, President and Treasurer of the Pomeroy Investment Company, and heavy stockholder in various mining concerns. All of his business interests are managed at his headquarters in Colorado Springs, which place Mr. Pomeroy considers his home.
He has been in Hill City for the past month and is enjoying unusual good health. One would scarcely think, when talking with Mr. Pomeroy, that he has spent some 70 years in so strenuous a manner as his vast business interests would indicate, and, lightly indeed, has he borne the burdens of an active life of three score years and ten.
His interest in Hill City is growing and, with his practical and prophetic eye he reads for her a prosperous future. He is making final arrangements for three new store buildings, and for several blocks of cement side-walk which will mark the streets lined by his buildings, besides the 20 new residences. (See illustration at the head of this article.)
Mr. Pomeroy contemplates giving to Hill City a beautiful park and has in view other benefits which will be of great value to our flourishing town.
Great, indeed, are Hill City's prospects so long as Mr. Pomeroy's interest is so evident.
The history of the American State Bank has been an unbroken record of progress since its inception. It has been conducted upon the soundest and most conservative business principles, and its management is characterized by sagacity, energy and ability, coupled with liberality and honorable methods, closely identifying itself with the many movements
that have helped in the growth of the city and contributing liberally to its prosperity. Not only does it aid in the upbuilding of the town, but fosters many business undertakings by affording financial aid.
The American State Bank was opened for business in January, 1905, with J. F. Rowe as president, Sol Hutton, vice president, E. V. Cumberford, cashier and I. R. Mort assistant cashier.
They do a general banking business, extending courtesies when consistent with the sound rules of banking which have characterized the institution since its beginning. It has made itself a bank of the people and has acquired a general and deserved popularity.
Though a young institution it ranks third in the county, in the amount of deposits.
The following is an official report of the condition of the American State Bank at the close of business on the sixth day. of April, 1906:
|Loans and discounts||$ 54,391.91|
|Loans on real estate||500.00|
|Cash items other than reserve items||506.45|
|Cash and sight exchange, legal reserve||19,702.49|
|Capital stock paid in||$20,000.00|
|Certificates of deposits||4,048.75|
I, E. V. Cumberford, cashier of said bank, do solemnly swear that the above statement is true; that said bank has no liabilities, and is not indorser on any note or obligation, other than shown on the above statement, to the best of my knowledge and belief. So help me God.
E. V. CUMBERFORD, Cashier.
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 13th day of April, 1906.
F. T. STEPHENS, Notary Public.
Commission expires on the 8th day of Nov., 1909.
Correct--Attest: D. C. Greenwood, David Findley, J. F. Rowe, C. A. Garrison, M. J. Creighton, Directors.
The funds of the patrons of this bank are guarded by a burglar and fire proof vault with Burton and Harris locks and a Yale, double time lock attachment. The cash, notes, safe and vault of the bank are insured, that the depositors and stock holders may suffer no unnecessary loss.
Mr. E. V. Cumberford, who discharges the duties of cashier is a young man imbued with a spirit of progress, whose name is of paramount prominence in the American State Bank.
He is a native of Missouri, born in Platte county in 1876, was educated and grew to manhood there and began his business life as assist-
ant cashier of the State Bank at Edgerton, Missouri. Later he became its cashier.
In 1898 Mr. Cumberford went to Colorado Springs where he was employed by the Bond and Banking House of Colorado Springs, having full charge of branch offices at Buffalo and Montreal. He continued in this business until January 1905, when he came to Hill City to become cashier of the American State Bank.
Mr. Cumberford was married in March, 1900, in Cameron, Missouri to Miss Mabel Sturgis. To this union three interesting boys have been born.
Mr. Cumberford owns 18 lots on Capital Hill on which he is erecting a modern $3,000.00 residence. In addition to his home property he owns a half interest in the Model Farm.
Though comparatively a new-comer in Hill City, Mr. Cumberford is deservedly popular. His conscientious devotion to every interest entrusted to his care together with his genial and courteous manner, has won for him the highest regard of his fellow citizens.
There is no line of business in which the public is more vitally interested than in that of real estate, loan and insurance. Such a business requires men of integrity, honesty and uprightness. They must be prompt, fair and accomodating in all their dealings.
The progress made in this, as well as in other branches of business demands that it shall be followed only by men who are reliable and who understand every detail of the work.
The real estate man who locates in a town simply because it is hav-
ing a boom cannot compete with a man who has spent years in the community.
Investors insist on knowing who they are dealing with, and sellers must feel sure that they have their property in responsible hands.
In these times of many real estate transactions in Graham county, it is fitting to direct attention to the above named firm. They have a splendid knowledge of the lands, of their values, and a general stock of information concerning the growth and development of this portion of the country that is at once interesting and beneficial to those seeking homes or investment in western Kansas.
The Kansas Title Land and Loan Company has on its books 60,000 acres of farm land besides some good town properties. They are exclusive agents for the Pomeroy interests in western Kansas, which, aside from many city properties, include more than 30,000 acres of farm land. They do a heavy insurance business, representing 7 large, eastern fire, lightning and tornado companies.
Abstracts of title and all legal blanks are prepared in their offices with promptness and accuracy.
Any investment in Graham county real estate should be based first of all, on an abstract of title furnished by the Kansas Title Land and Loan Company; if the purchaser desires assurance of such a title as will enable him to know that his money is safely invested.
The officers of this company are, H. H. Barbee, president; E. V. Cumberford, vice president and treasurer; and C. A. Garrison, secretary. Mr. Garrison, a courteous and genial gentleman with his two assistants has charge of the offices.
The company, though young has made itself a prominent factor in the growth and upbuilding of our town and country, being always ready and ever anxious to promote any civic improvements.
The best friend to humanity is the genius, who by presistent [sic] effort and devotion to an idea, is enabled to give to the world a means by which man may better utilize the natural conditions which surround him.
Such a friend was Professor Campbell, who gave to the semi-arid plains of the west, the secret of dry farming, whereby fine crops may be raised with little rainfall. This is Mr. Campbells theory explained: The result is accomplished, by storing the rainfall in the soil, and by keeping the surface of the ground always loose, which stops evaporation. Thus you can make 14 inches of rain go as far as 25 or 30 inches. This is done by stirring up the soil with revolving disc and then going over it and filling up the furrows, repeating this process again and again until the last of June, after every rain stirring up the soil either with a disc or an Acme Harrow.
In preparing for the planting of wheat, the soil is plowed 7 inches deep, and followed with a sub-surface packer, giving a compact, solid bottom, 4 inches from the surface under the loose soil.
It is then gone over with the Acme harrow keeping the top soil loose and pulverized. This is called summer tilling ;and after working the soil for a year in this way, the wheat is planted in the fall or spring as usual.
After one year of summer tilling, 3 crops can be grown in succession without renewing the cultivation.
Mr. Campbell says, Certain scientific phenomena must be observed also. After a certain amount of rain has fallen and penetrated a certain
distance into the soil, each particle of earth absorbs its share of water until the entire rain fall has been absorbed.
If we hold this water in the soil during the summer season, a chemical action will follow which produces nitrates and generates bacteria or nitrogen in the soil. The theory is that the bacteria are latent in the soil and can only be developed by moisture and cultivation. I am not opposed to irrigation, but it is unnecessary wherever there is a rainfall of not less than 14 inches.
It was through the financial interest made manifest by J. P. Pomeroy of Colorado, that Mr. Campbell's theory was put into actual practice. Just outside the limits of Hill City, Mr. Pomeroy bought 240 acres of land where Mr. Campbell laid but the first of his 100 model farms on his system of soil culture.
This was six years ago and each season's crops have forcibly demon-
strated the practicability of the Campbell theory, for the yield of wheat, oats, corn, potatoes and everything else that grows, is three to five times as great as is harvested on the other side of the fences.
And there is no more beautiful farm in the country. The orchard six years old, is equal to any that can be found; the hedges that divide the fields and surround the garden are 12 to 14 feet high; the vegetable garden, the berry bushes, the flowers and the foliage are equal to any upon the best irrigated farm in California; while the wheat, corn and potatoes are simply perfect.
This original Model Farm was bought from Mr. Pomeroy by E. V. Cumberford and H. H. Barbee last March for a consideration of $15,000.00. They have put down a well of 360 feet and are expecting to erect a stone residence in addition to making other minor improvements.
The Boston Department Store was organized under the name of the Boston Cash Store in 1886 by J. P. Pomeroy of Colorado Springs. Mr. Pomeroy, who has large interests in Graham county, maintained the store for the benefit of the people and to keep up the business interests of Hill City.
In August 1904 the stock was sold to D. Weyand of Colorado Springs who conducts the business with the assistance of his two sons and ten clerks.
The world advances and times change. The new century looks back to the old and is pleased with the improvement, but the future offers still greater changes. There are many business men who watch the progress of the world, and by offering the best to their customers, are enabled to do their portion for public improvement. Such men find it a pleasure and an easy matter to keep at the front of the great march of progress. The public recognize in D. Weyand as proprietor of the Boston Department Store, a man of broad and progressive ideas whose aim is to make his customers feel that he is guarding their interests while promoting his own. No defective goods are permitted to be sold over his counters and in adjusting his selling prices he is satisfied with a small per cent of profit.
Mr. Weyands clerks are polite, attentive and accommodating. The success of the store, therefore, is not such a great surprise.
The Boston Store ranks among the foremost of the business institutions of the county, ever ready to promote the general welfare of its community and herald abroad its claim to special consideration.
The store is modern throughout, and has five well-stocked departments, which meet the catalogue prices of any Mail Order House of the cast, furnishing a more desirable line of goods. People should under-
stand that if their community goes backward they go backward; if the growth and prosperity of its business houses is retarded, the interests of each individual is retarded. Home institutions should be patronized. It is safe to say that the Boston Department Store has no superior in this part of the state in the volume and variety of the high class merchandise it carries.
The time honored principle of quick sales and small profits is strictly adhered to and accounts for the fact that no old goods accumulates, but always the newest and up-to-date merchandise meets the eye of the prospective purchaser.
The people realize this a good place to trade which accounts for the rapid growth of the Boston Department Store.
In two years its stock has been increased from $20,000 to $35,000, and its sales this year are double those of last.
In outlining the mercantile and industrial interests of Hill City, and in detailing its financial interests in general, special mention must be made of the facilities enjoyed by the patrons of its leading hotel, The Pomeroy.
This is a first class modern hotel with accomodation for 75 guests, neat, clean and newly furnished. The office is attractive and a daily resort for the citys business men. The parlors are large light airy and convenient of access. The dining room seats 50 people and is well lighted and ventilated. The table is a special feature and is always laden with the choicest food that the market affords, properly cooked and served in good style.
The transient trade, of which the Pomeroy receives a large share, pronounces it the best $2.00 a day house in this section of the state.
Mine host, Uncle Billy, Keleher is a pleasant courteous gentleman. He has been in the hotel business in Hill City for nearly a quarter of a century, and his guests with one voice agree that he is particularly adapted to this business. He is a genial landlord and spares no pains to please or entertain or make comfortable his guests.
Mr. Keleher is a native of Ireland and came to California when but six years old. Here he met Mrs. Keleher who was a native of Lowell, Massachusetts. Twenty-seven years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Keleher came to Kansas and went into the hotel business at Millbrook. Since that time they have always been proprietors of a hotel either in Millbrook or Hill City.
Of the seven Keleher children, one girl and three boys are married and gone, and one girl and two boys are still at home.
The practice of law requires more talent and more extensive knowledge of detail than any other business or profession, and he who would win fame in its ranks must have specific training, and make up his mind to continuous, steady and unceasing toil. The profession of law has attracted men of more than average energy and intelligence. H. J. Harwi has displayed those attributes and qualifications which mean a continually growing clientage and a successful practice. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1858 and was educated in that state. He read law in the offices of S. V. B. Kachline in Easton, Pennsylvania, and was admitted to the bar. In 1878 a colony Pennsylvania farmers numbering 80, emigrated to Stockton, Kansas, and Mr. Harwi and his father were in the party. From Stockton they went to the southern part of Rooks county where they homesteaded. Mr. Harwi preempted, and it was on his place that the first house was built. He arrived in the county only two years prior to the organization of Graham county, and at once became active in her political life. Graham county, before its organization. in 1880, was attached to the judiciary of Rooks county. H. J. Harwi was the first lawyer admitted to the Graham county bar. He was appointed the first sheriff of the county by Board of County Commissioners. At the first election he was selected Register of Deeds and was Government Census taker south of the Solomon river in Graham county. Throughout this time he was actively engaged in the profession of law. On the first docket ever made up in Graham county which consisted of 21 cases, he was on either one side or the other of each case. Judge Nellis of Topeka was the acting Judge. The lawyers before the court were, Judge Reeder and Smith, attorneys Collier, Osborne, Rathbone and Harwi. In 1882 Mr. Harwi bought and edited the Graham County Republican, and in partnership with Mr. Terril, of Millbrook, organized, a newspaper trust, buying all the newspapers in the county save the Millbrooks Times. His paper was declared the official paper of the county. Mr. Harwi was appointed and
elected County Clerk at the same time associated with Judge Gordan in the real estate business. He was for four years engaged in the Hardware and Implement business until 1888, when he received the appointment as Treasury Agent of the Seal Islands, but was never commissioned owing to change in Treasury department. Mr. Harwi was later appointed correspondent and special agent of animal industry. He controlled the fed-
eral patronage under Senators Plumb, Ingalls and Baker, and has been closely associated in a political way with many of the leading republican politicians for the last 20 years. Mr. Harwi practiced law in all the State and Federal courts and gained a reputation that resulted in his election to the office of County Attorney, and has capably discharged the duties of that position. He is one of the stalwart republicans of Graham county and has done his part in the work of the campaigns. Mr. Harwi was married May 30, 1884 to Ida Tillotson of Millbrook and to this union have been born two children, Henry, Jr., and Barbara. He owns 1800 acres of Graham county, a number of Hill City lots and a $3,500.00 cottage home which is one of the most improved places in Hill City. He has served as member of Hill City Public School Board for twelve successive years.
The career of John Bird has been closely indentified [sic] with the history of Graham county. He has been a valuable resident here for more than 27 years. The career of a farmer as that of a business enterprise, is the standard by which the public tests his general worth to the community. Mr. Bird has been a successful farmer, and everyone has been glad of his .success, for with his kindly disposition and honest business methods he has made everyone his friend.
Mr. Bird was born in Ohio in 1836 and came to Missouri in his early boyhood. Here he was married 47 years ago and 17 years later moved to Graham county and homesteaded a few miles northeast of Hill City. Mr. and Mrs. Bird drove from Missouri leaving there the 14th of February and arriving here the 8th of March. Their first home was a 16xl6 structure, built of native stone, and sod quarried and cut on their own farm.
Here they lived until 1893 when they sold the place and moved to Sheridan county.
For 10 years they owned and lived on one of the best farms in Sheridan county, and sold it in 1904 for $7,500.00, when they returned to Graham county and located in Hill City.
Mr. and Mrs. Bird have retired from active life and have built a neat seven roomed house valued at $1,200.00, which they intend to make their permanent home.
They are proud of their six sons and daughters who are married and living in homes of their own, and all, save one, in Hill City or vicinity.
The entire Bird family are active members of the Christian church.
Mr. Bird is a kind, genial agreeable gentleman, who has never burdened the world with his trials, but who has lightened the sorrows of others by sympathy and material aid.
H. H. Niehaus of Indiana township, is a young man, 27 years old, who purchased 320 acres of land, three years ago, for $3,000.00, mostly on time, and this year's crop will put him out of debt with money to spare. Recently he refused $7,000.00 for this half section of land.
His crops raised during 1904 and 1905, were, 2,000 bushels of wheat, 500 bushels of oats, 3000 bushels of corn.
He now owns 10 head of good horses and 17 head of cattle. He began farming with only one team of horses. Notwithstanding his good returns from the farm, he had four head of horses and ten head of cattle die during that time.
The accompanying pictures are of the farm home of E. J. Byerts, three miles west of Hill City.
Mr. Byerts and his family are among the early settlers of Graham county, having come to this county in 1878, and they have been continuous residents here since that time. Their first home was on Rock Creek in Gettysburg township, where they farmed and raised cattle with varying success until 1884 when proof was made on the homestead and title was obtained. The family then settled on school section sixteen at the junction of Sand creek and Solomon river.
At this time there was not a shrub on the land larger than ones finger, and whatever timber there is on the farm now has been grown there since.
Mr. Byerts is among the few who always had implicit confidence in the final development of this part of western Kansas.
He has always farmed on a large scale having for many years planted and tilled 250 acres of corn and when the seasons were good had large crops.
Mr. Byerts, like many others, made the error of mortgaging his farm to buy more land and twice since he came here, had all his property been sold it would not have paid his debt.
But by his perseverance he has each time been able to pay every dollar against him and today owes no man a farthing.
His old homestead and timber claims belong to others, but the farm on the Solomon, which consists now of seven hundred acres, all bottom land, is to be planted to alfalfa in the hope that in a few years it will be a thing of beauty and profit.
Mr. Byerts has taken an active part in local politics having always had a friend or a measure that he desired to help along. But he was never a candidate for office outside of his own township until 1901, when he was appointed Postmaster of Hill City in which capacity he is now serving.
What greater marks of esteem and confidence can citizens of a community show to one of their fellowmen than to indorse him for the position requiring a man of undoubted integrity and more than average ability.
Mr. Byerts never sought office prior to 1901, having always been content with his life on the farm.
In the Post Office building which he owns he conducts a notion and book business carrying a stock of about $800.00.
Mr. Byerts was born in Pennsylvania and during the Civil war was a soldier in Company E, 194th Infantry, Pennsylvania volunteers.
At the close of the war he came to Sedalia, Missouri where he was married and 28 years ago moved to Graham county.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Byerts, two girls and two boys, only one of which is now at home.
Landscape picture covers one and half miles of valley and timber on this farm.
What greater mark of esteem and confidence can the citizens of a community show to one of their fellow men then to elect him to a county office.
The office of sheriff requires a man of undoubted integrity and more than average courage.
Mr. Ashcroft never sought an office prior to the campaign of 1904, but was a prosperous and contented Graham county farmer. He has made an enviable record as one of the most efficient officers Graham county has ever had; one who could not be bluffed out of doing his duty.
Mr. Ashcroft owns a fine farm of 320 acres 18 miles southwest of Hill City. This farm is conveniently arranged and fitted for a first-class
stock farm and is also well adopted to general farming and grain raising.
It is all fenced and cross fenced and has an abundance of good water. For five years Mr. Ashcroft has had one-hundred acres in wheat averaging a yield of twenty bushels to the acre. He says with the exception of one year he has raised for the last ten years enough corn to fatten twenty-five to thirty-five head of hogs for market besides a goodly number for home use.
Mr. Ashcroft is a great admirer of good horses and purchased for the Hill City Horse Co., a fine English Coach Stallion, Glen S., which took second prize at the St. Louis fair. He is now managing a breeding stable.
Mr. Ashcroft homesteaded in Graham county in the autumn of 1884. It took several years of hard and constant work to get money to improve his farm. He was married in 1893 and has a family of 5 children.
During his term of office Mr. Ashcroft lives with his family in their ten roomed house, in the south part of town, but intends to return to his farm at the expiration of his term.
Grecian Drug Store, telephone number one, Drug Store number one. The proprietor and owner of this store, Mr. Frank Grecian, was born in
Iowa and moved to Osborne county, Kansas, in 1878. He attended school at Manhattan and has been in the drug business 15 years.
Four years ago Mr. Grecian moved to Hill City from Natoma, bought the drug store then being closed out by Mr. King, beside considerable new stock, and opened the Grecian Drug Store with about $1200 stock. Today it would invoice close to $7000.
One of the chief features of this drug store is the prescription department, presided over by Mr. Grecian, an expert and licensed pharmacist. Mr. Grecian, pharmacist number 2683, has been in the business since 1887.
Hill City people place great confidence in Mr. Grecians prescription and compounding department.
In addition to drugs, the store carries all kinds of paints and oils, drug sundries, leather goods, toilet articles, delicate perfumes, soaps, sta-
tionery and patent medicines.
About two years ago Mr. Grecian put in a large stock of jewelry and engaged a competent jeweler. This department is now in charge of Mr. James T. Little. Mr. Little was for three years an apprentice to A. C. Erdice, a Swiss watch-maker. Later he worked for the H. E. Wurth Watch Manufacturing Company of Kansas City, Mo. Although Mr. Little has been in Hill City only since the first of March, he has established for himself an enviable reputation as a watch repairer.
One of the many features of this progressive, up-to-date store, is a fine $1000 soda fountain which was bought three years ago. Last year, to complete this department, Mr. Grecian added an ice-cream plant and is supplying many of the neighboring towns with ice cream. The success of this undertaking among our own people is told by the many customers which crowd the tables and counters on summer afternoons and evenings.
A fine $500 cash register, the best and most complete machine in this part of the state, speaks of the prosperity of the store.