|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Geuda Springs takes its name from the seven mineral springs, which well up almost on the line between Sumner and Cowley counties. These springs have never been developed as their qualities deserve, but are destined at no far distant day to render the name of Geuda as well know as that of Saratoga, or Arkansas Hot Springs. Although so close together these springs has separate and distinct character, the diseases which yield to one being unaffected by others. The town site lies on both sides of the county line which forms the main street. The springs and a quarter section of land in Cowley are owned by C. R. Mitchell, and the part of the town site with its additions in Sumner County by O. B. Taylor, J. P. Marshall, C. R. Mitchell, Dr. C. Perry, I. N. Hubbell and A. A. Newman, each having individual interests. The ownership of the springs has lately been vested in a company, known as the Geuda Springs Company, the shares being chiefly owned by C. R. Mitchell, the original owner of the springs. The bath-houses at the springs was (sic) built in 1881, but the principal growth of the town was made in 1882. The first house on the town site was the residence of George B. Green, the second, the drug store of G. A. Cutler, and the third, the general store of J. R. Musgrove. The first hotel was the Gueda Springs House, by James Stiner, the second, the Mekeeche, kept by John Whistler. A. J. Chapel was the first physician, and C. R. Mitchell the first attorney to locate in the town.
The town now has two general stores, two drug and one fancy goods store, two hotels, one restaurant, one each, furniture, harness and wagon shop, one meat market, and one blacksmith shop, and three livery stables. There are about seventy-five hours, eleven of which are in Cowley County, and a population of nearly 400.
The Geuda Springs Herald was started on January 25, 1882, by Joseph F. White, who had purchased the office of the Mulvane paper. The paper is a seven-column folio of Republican views, is issued Fridays, and has a circulation of 350.
There are as yet no organized religious bodies in the place, but there are frequent and regular services by Rev. Mr. Hardy of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Rev. Mr. Broadbent, of the Christian and Rev. Mr. McCarney, of the United Brethren Society.
Geuda Springs Lodge, N. 105. A. O. U. W., was organized July 6, 1882, with fifteen charter members, and the following officers: J. R. Musgrove, P. M. W.; D. F. Hall, M. W.; D. A. McIntire, M. W.; William Rice, O.; F. L. Davis, recorder; G. A. Cutler, F.; James Axley, R. The lodge now has eighteen members and the following officers: D. F. Hall, P. M. W.; G. A. Cutler, M. W.; A. A. Walker, foreman; J. W. Robinson, O.; W. T. Berkey, recorder, J. Tritch, F.; James Axley, R. Meetings are held every Thursday evening in Bishop's Hall.
Geuda Springs Lodge, No. 38, I. O. G. T., was organized on January 1. 1883, with twenty charter members, and the following officers: J. H. Berkey, C. T.; Dora A. White, V. T.; Ira Mardis, secretary; W. D. Jett, chaplain; Ira Burrell, F. S.; J. W. Robinson, treasurer. These officers are still in office. Meetings are held on Tuesday of each week in Salt City school house. The lodge now numbers forty.
J. R. MUSGROVE, Geuda, was born February 12, 1841, in Jackson County, Ohio. Lived on a farm until the breaking out of the war, in 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, Twenty-seventh Ohio Infantry, in which he served until the close of the war. Was with the Sturgis expedition for the relief of Lexington, Mo., September, 1861, and also went with the Fremont expedition later in the season. Took part in the New Madrid and Island No. 10 affairs, and was under Pope at Corinth during the spring of 1862. Was at Iuka and Corinth during both battles. Went with Straight's expedition into Northern Alabama in the spring of 1863. Was with Sherman during the Atlanta campaign, and also went with him on his march to the sea. First came to Kansas in 1861, and after his muster out of service first stopped in Pottawatomie County Was employed in the register of deeds and clerk's office. Came to Cowley County in 1870. Started a general store, trading and outfitting establishment at South Haven in 1873. Was a member of the relief committee during the grasshopper years, and also a member of the First K. S. M. M. during the Indian trouble of that year, first as Captain of Company B, and afterwards as Major. Has never held any civil office. Was married to Isabella Graham January 26, 1874. Put in branch house at this place in 1882.
Hunnewell, the terminus of the Sumner County Railway, is named in honor of the president of the K. C., L. & S. K. R'y., of which the first named is a branch. It is located on the old Cherokee three mile strip, the southern town line coinciding with that of the State. The land of the town site, 400 acres, was owned by Robeson, Stewart and Hale. This was purchased by the railroad company and a town company with a capital of $50,000 formed. Stock in this company was taken by various cattle and railway men, a twelve per cent assessment made and the town laid out. The first buildings was (sic) the outfitting store of Ford & Leonard, erected June 16, 1880, the day the railway reached this point. Within a few days a host of other buildings had sprung up, and all through July of that year the town grew like a gourd. Hooker & Phelps put up the first drug store, and Roland & O'Neil the first hardware. Dr. Dobbins was the first physician, and P. M. Judd the first attorney. The first and only hotel was the Hunnewell House, completed August 20, 1880, at a cost of $5,000. This house has thirty-three rooms, and is one of the best in the county. The railway station was completed in June, 1880, and soon after the track was extended to the exact line of the territory, and a stock yard built at a cost of $7,000. The town company still exists, and has two buildings valued at $600 and $200. L. S. Boyer is agent.
Prior to the organization of the city a Police Judge and two Marshals were hired by the railway company and the citizens. Such officers naturally could not draw pay in any unorganized town, and "the devil was whipped around the stump" by their appointment as special Deputy Sheriffs. The organization of the city was effected in April, 1881, and officers elected as follows: J. A. Hughes, Mayor; T. G. Ricketts, Police Judge. Thomas T. Ivers was appointed City Clerk. The Council consisted of A. B. Smith, F. Hoolcroft, T. B. Sullivan, J. Dickerson and D. F. Hall. The election of 1882 made J. A. Hughes, Mayor; L. S. Boyer, Police Judge; F. Hoolcroft, J. R. Slane, Q. A. Hale, Robert Kier, and J. C. Hopkins, Councilmen. This year had four city clerks, T. G. Ricketts, P. Zook, J. D. Hubbard and Tim B. Sullivan.
For some time after the founding of the town it was without regular mail service. Mail for this point was brought to South Haven, and thence by boy to Hunnewell. Later, it was brought to the depot and left on the desk, where everybody picked out his own letters. On August 20, 1880, a postoffice was established and Frank Schiffdaner appointed Postmaster. He was succeeded in the spring of 1881 by George Cutler, who held the office until a year later, when J. H. Hamilton, the present incumbent, was appointed. The postoffice has successively occupied the store now occupied by Doty & Boyer, the bank building, the store now used by George Keats, and the Hamilton & Hopkins outfitting store, where it is at present located.
School District No. 156, which furnishes the educational facilities of Hunnewell, was organized in September, 1880. J. O. Brewster taught school three months in a rented building, and M. Elliott and Miss Mary Campbell taught a term each, under the same conditions. A stone building, 26x40 feet, and costing $2,500, was built in 1881-82. This was occupied in 1881-82 by John Hubbard and wife, and in 1882-83 by Ira Sikes. The school enumeration is one hundred and two.
There are no church edifices in the city, and no resident pastors. The Presbyterians effected an organization two years ago, and are now supplied by Rev. Mr. Moore of Wellington. They has also a Sabbath school with an attendance of forty.
In July, 1880, J. S. Danford established a bank at this point. This was run one month by Smith & Martin, and from that time till its failure in November, 1881, by P. B. Bowers. Just prior to its collapse it was incorporated as a State Bank.
The Hamilton Bank - On February 1, 1882, P. B. Bowers started a private bank in the Danford building, and May, 1, moved into the stone bank building, which he has erected at a cost of $1,200. Here he transacted business until January 15, 1883, when he sold to John H. Hamilton & Co., who now carry on the business.