|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
South Haven is a town of about 100 inhabitants, located on the Sumner County Railway, now a branch of the K. C., L. & S. K. Road, twelve miles south of Wellington. The first building erected in the town was the store of F. F. Meister, built in 1872. This was followed by the general store of Hunt & Hunt, the drug store of J. H. Sain, he blacksmith shop of N. Gee, and the livery stable of Q. A. Hale. Dr. J. T. Spruil, the first physician, came in 1872. The South Haven Town Company was formed in June, 1879, and consisted of F. F. Meister, C. E. Beard, J. R. Musgrove, and Thomas Hunter. Under its direction he town site of 160 acres was laid out, but the town was never incorporated.
South Haven postoffice was established in 1872, and F. F. Meister appointed Postmaster. To him succeeded J. H. Sain, Thomas Hunter, J. W. Newcomb, J. R. Musgrove, F. A. Hunt, and Melvin Musgrove, the present official. The office is located in the store of F. A. Hunt.
The town now has a population of about 100, one general store, one hotel, two physicians, one wagon shop, one boot and shoe store, one livery and one blacksmith. The railway reached this point in June, 1879, and it was supposed would make this its terminal station, but difficulties arose between the road and the town company, and the track was pushed on to Hunnewell.
South Haven schoolhouse was built in the spring of 1873, at a cost of $1,500, and school exercises began that fall under L. A. Spece. The school now numbers forty scholars, and it in charge of C. H. Roberts.
The Methodist Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. B. F. Swartz, and has since been supplied by Revs. E. B. Abbott, J. S. Romine, P. D. H. Labr, W. C. Cummings and Thomas Long. Services are held in the schoolhouse.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1876, and supplied by Rev. S. C. Noble. After his resignation Rev. J. M. Via preached some time, after which the pulpit became vacant, and the society has had only occasional services.
South Haven Lodge No. 114, I. O. O. F. was organized October 14, 1874, with seven members and the following officers: Thomas Hunter, N. G.; W. G. Moore, W. G.; S. Snow, secretary; Daniel Murley, treasurer. The Lodge is now officered by J. R. Reid, N. G.; O. P. Olinger, V. G.; R. H. Miller, secretary; Thomas Hunter, P. S.; W. G. Moore, treasurer. Meetings are held on Friday of each week in the hall over the schoolhouse.
Haven Lodge, No. 157, A., F. & A. M. was chartered October 21, 1875, having been working under a dispensation for a year previous. Its charter officers were: W. M. Battis, W. M.; F. A. Hunt, S. W.; Thomas Hunter, J. W. The Lodge is now officered as follows: F. A. Hunt, W. M.; L. W. Hamilton, S. W.; Charles Hatfield, J. W.; J. W. Hunter, secretary; Thomas Hunter, treasurer. Meetings are held on each Saturday on or before each full moon, in Masonic Hall. This hall occupies the upper story of the schoolhouse, and was built by the Order at a cost of about $200. The Lodge also has property in the form of furniture and regalia to the amount of $200, but this latter is owned jointly with the Odd Fellows.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - SOUTH HAVEN TOWNSHIP.
GEORGE W. AVERY, of the firm of Avery & McDowell, dealers in general supplies, hardware, etc., Hunnewell, Sumner County, is a native of the State of New York, and was born in 1848. His early life was spent in school. At the age of sixteen, he went to learn the machinist's trade, at which he continued five years. He was next in the grocery business in Buffalo, N. Y., two years. He then came to Baxter Springs, Kan., where he was in the grocery business for one year. He then returned to Buffalo, where he was for one year in the insurance business. He was next at Livonia Station, N. Y., managing a farm. He then came West to Hunnewell in 1880, and opened his present business. He took his present partner Mr. McDowell, in 1882. Mr. Avery owns two farms of 160 acres each, all under fence. He owns three residences, and one business house, and a half interest in two other houses. In 1872 he married Mrs. Annie Fitzgerald, of Livonia Station, N. Y., by whom he has one child living - Newton Avery. Annie, deceased. Mrs. Avery was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Avery carries a stock of about $6,000, and sells about $35,000 worth a year.
C. H. BELL, farmer, Section 11, P. O. South Haven, was born in Iowa, in 1850, where he lived on a farm until twenty-one years of age, obtaining in the meantime, a common school education, and the advantages of one year in college, in the State Normal University of Missouri. After leaving college, he taught school in Iowa for two years. In the spring of 1873, he came to the town of South Haven, Sumner Co., Kas. (sic), where he entered a quarter section of land in Section 11, all of which he has in a fine state of cultivation, and is enclosed by a good hedge fencing. Mr. Bell is doing much fruit raising, having planted 500 choice apple trees and 1,000 peach trees, 165 cherry trees and also a quantity of small fruit, and a fine vineyard of grapes of good quality. Mr. Bell has held several offices of trust in the town. Is a member of the order of Freemasons, belonging to the Blue lodge. In 1874 Mr. Bell was married to Miss Caroline Moore, of Davis County, Iowa, by whom he has four children - Edna, Clara, Mabel and Grace.
A. J. BOWERS, general merchant, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1830. At the age of sixteen he went to carpentering, at which he continued until 1862. He then embarked in the mercantile business, and continued in Ohio until 1865, after which he went to Illinois, and engaged in the same line of business, and continued until 1878, at the end of which time he came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kas. (sic), and there embarked in the mercantile business, where he continued to the fall of 1881; then moved his stock to Hunnewell. Mr. Bowers is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and is also a member of the Free Masons. In 1851 he was married to Miss Susan Smith, of Ohio, by whom he has three children - Sabina Samilda, Charles Jefferson and Phillip Byron. He owns eight resident and business houses in the city of Wellington, and seven business properties in Hunnewell. Mr. Bowers is a self-made man, having accumulated a handsome fortune, unaided, save by his own energy and business talents.
L. S. BOYER, druggist, real estate agent and broker, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1849. Was reared in the agricultural profession. He obtained a high school education. At the age of fifteen he joined the army in which he served about six months, after which he re-entered the army and served one year. He then served three years in the regular army, after which he attended school in Ohio three years, in the meantime teaching. In 1878 he came to El Dorado, Kansas, where he taught school one year. He then came to Sumner County, Kansas, and opened and improved 160 acres of land and builta (sic) residence on same. He then taught school at South Haven one year, after which he came to Hunnewell, his present home. He was appointed Town Agent by railroad company when the town was established; he was also Justice of the Peace in the meantime. He was afterwards elected Police Judge, in which capacity he served eighteen months. He is Clerk of the School District No. 156. In 1880 he was appointed Notary Public. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and secretary of the same. Mr. Boyer was married to Miss Carrie E. Weston, in 1877, by whom he has three children - Carl, Jennie and Guy. Mrs. Boyer is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Boyer owns 360 acres of land, 160 acres of which is in a high state of cultivation, which is run principally as a grain farm; he also owns a vacant lot in Hunnewell; is real estate agent and broker; started even in life.
NOBLE H. BROWN, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Rome, was born in Cayuga County, Ohio, in 1828. When he was six years of age his parents removed to Michigan, and at the end of five years returned to Ohio, where they remained five years. In 1844 his parents moved to Illinois, where his time was spent at farming till 1860, when he went to Iowa. On the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion, in 1861, he enlisted in the First Iowa Cavalry, Company M, and was in the battles of Prairie and Sa ine (sic) rivers. His time in the army was mostly spent in skirmishing in Missouri, Arkansas and Tennessee. Was promoted to Sergeant, and in 1865 went to Texas for one year, where he was mustered out in 1866, when he returned to Illinois, where he remained for two years. In 1873 he settled in Butler County, Kansas, where he lived nine years. In 1872 he bought 160 acres of land in the Township of South Haven, in Section 3, where he now lives, and which was partly improved. He has on his place 1,500 fruit and forest trees. The place is well fenced. Was married to Miss Eliza J. Lewis, of Illinois, and has nine children - Mary, Minnie, May, Decious Lewis, Emma Curtis, Willard Burton, Hattie, George Thomas and Wilber, twins, Ralph, Mary, Hattie, Willard Burton, George Thomas and Wilber being dead.
W. H. BROWN, livery and stock dealer, Hunnewell, is a native of the State of New York, and was born in 1846, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. He was engaged in farming in Illinois until he was twenty-two years of age. In 1859 he came to Kansas, where he opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he ran as a grain farm three years. He afterward opened another farm of 160 acres, which he also ran as a grain farm. After which he bought a farm of 136 acres near Caldwell, which he ran as a stock farm. He was then two years on the Range in the Indian Territory. In 1880 he came to Hunnewell, where he built a house for the purpose of running a restaurant, which he carried on for one year, when he traded it for a livery stable, his present place of business. He was elected a member of the School Board in 1883. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is right hand supporter of the same. Mr. Brown was married to Miss Liddie Edwards of Indiana, in 1873. He has a son by a previous marriage - Columbus. Mrs. Brown has one son - Myron Edwards. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the First Kansas Battery, and was mustered out with rank of Corporal, August, 1865.
QUINCY A. HALE, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Hunnewell, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1831. Was reared on a farm, receiving a business education. At the age of nineteen he began farming for himself in Ohio, at which he continued until 1860. He then went to Missouri, where he handled stock eighteen months; after which he came to Kansas, where he was on a farm a short time, and at Lawrence. He then went to Illinois and remained until February, 1864. He then went to North Missouri, where he remained nine years in the stock business. After which he removed to his present home of 320 acres, which he improved and runs as grain and stock farm. He now holds cattle in the Territory. He was elected School Director in 1875, which position he still holds. He is a member of City council, and also a member of the Odd-Fellows. Helped to build two schoolhouses, and assisted in organizing two district schools. In 1851 Mr. Hale was married to Miss Lucinda Vernon, of Ohio, by whom he has seven children living - Leonidas, Leantha, Ferdinand, Mary, May, Henry and Maggie.
C. C. HAMILTON, farmer and stock raiser, Hunnewell, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1818. He was reared in the agricultural profession. He obtained a fair business education. He began farming on his own responsibility at the age of twenty-three. In 1853 he went to Indiana, where he was engaged in farming two years. He was then in Illinois sixteen years. In 1869 he came to Sumner County, Kan., and engaged in farming three years. He owns a farm of 160 acres, which is run as a grain and stock farm. He also owns one half interest in one section of land of 640 acres near South Haven. He is a stockholder in the Hunnewell Bank, and owns a residence in Hunnewell. He is grazing 200 head of fine cattle. Mr. Hamilton is a member and class leader of the Methodist Church. He was married to Miss Juliann Wilson, of Ohio, in 1841. He lost his wife in 1861, by whom he had eight children - James, Sarah, Lewis, Eliza, John H., Nancy, Juliann and Benjamin Franklin. Mrs. Hamilton was a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Hamilton was married to Miss Lizzie Crow, if Indiana, in 1872. Mrs. Hamilton is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. Hamilton has been steward of the church. He started even in life.
J. H. HAMILTON, banker and merchant, Hunnewell, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1849. He was raised in the agricultural pursuit. At the age of twenty-one he began the stock business in the Indian Territory. He started grazing with 200 head of cattle and continued to the fall of 1881. In the spring of 1882, he opened a general supply store, and in the spring of 1883, opened the Hamilton Bank in Hunnewell. Mr. Hamilton has now in the Territory 250 head of cattle, owns 800 acres of farm lands, which he improved and now runs as a grain and stock farm. He is a member of the Free Masons. Mr. Hamilton carries a stock of about $4,500, and is one of the leading men of his section of the county.
W. B. HELM, cattle dealer and raiser, was born in Franklin County, Mo., in 1843. Was reared a farmer and educated at the common schools. At the age of eighteen years he engaged with the Government to drive team from Leavenworth to Fort Scott one year, and at the end of that time was promoted to assistant wagon master, which position he held three years. He then spent a short time in St. Louis and Leavenworth. Starting for Kearney, Neb., he was taken sick with small-pox and confined three weeks; after recovering he returned to Leavenworth and then to Fort Smith, where, for one winter, he filled the position of assistant wagon master. In the spring he went as assistant wagon master to Fort Union, New Mexico; after visiting various places, he accepted the position of dispatch bearer a short time, when he engaged in the freighting business, at which he continue for two and a half years. In the spring of 1872, he bought a lot of cattle at Baxter Springs. In 1873, he drove cattle from Texas. In the spring of 1874, he opened a store at the Seminole Agency, which he continued five years. He then herded cattle in the Territory one year, and in 1880-81, he drove cattle from Texas; he also held cattle in 1881, on the ranch in Oklahoma. In 1882, he came to Hunnewell, holding and feeding cattle. He was married to miss Elenor Trego, of Kansas, in 1875, and has two children - Joseph and Wilford.
F. A. HUNT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. South Haven, is a native of west Virginia, and was born in 1844. He was reared in the agricultural business, and obtained a common school education. He enlisted in the army in 1862, and served three years and two months; at the end of which time he returned to Iowa, where he remained a short time, and in April, 1866, emigrated to Kansas, locating at Cottonwood Falls, in Chase County, in the drug business, in which he continued two years. He was next in Cowley County two years in the grain and stock business; then in the hardware business one year. He was next engaged in the stock business in which he continued until 1872, at which time he came to South Haven, Sumner county, where he was engaged in general merchandising three years. He then bought a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and ran a grain and stock farm four or five years. He then went to the village of South Haven, where he remained until the fall of 1881, in the stock trade. He then handled groceries a short time, and in 1883 he fully embarked in the stock business on his farm, handling a high grade of Short-horn cattle. Mr. hunt has opened and improved three farms and built four residences and two business properties. He was Justice of the Peace in South Haven two years and was Trustee two years. He was the first Sheriff of Cowley County, and was elected in 1870. In 1881, he was elected County Commissioner of Sumner County for three years. He is a member of the Free Masons and Knights of Pythias. Mr. Hunt began life penniless and is in debt to no man for what he now possesses.
G. W. KATES, druggist, Hunnewell, is a native of Wisconsin, and was born in 1858; was reared in the agricultural profession, and obtained a fair business education. At the age of fifteen he began to learn the drug business at Lena, Ill., at which place he remained three years, after which he went to Freeport, where he engaged in the drug business six months, In 1877, he came to Newton, Kan., and engaged in the drug business, in which capacity he acted five years; in 1882, he came to Hunnewell, Sumner Co., Kan., and opened his present business. He is a member of the order of Free Masons. Mr. Kates was married to Miss E. S. Kendall of Newton, Kan., in 1879, by whom he has one child - Mabel E. Mrs. Kates is a member of the Baptist Church. When Mr. Kates reached Newton, Kan., he only had 27 cents, remaining from $30, he had borrowed to come West on; by his energy and industry, he is now one of the leading business men of his town.
ROBERT KEIR, dealer in meats, is native of Canada, and was born in 1848; he obtained a liberal education, and was reared in the agricultural profession. At the age of seventeen he began farming in Illinois, where he continued seven years; in 1871 he came to Oxford, Sumner Co., Kan., and opened and improved 160 acres of land, where he lived six years; he then came to South Haven Township and bought 200 acres of land which he ran as a grain farm four years. In 1881, he came to Hunnewell, and opened his present business; he has built, and owns a residence and two business houses in Hunnewell; he has been Trustee of South Haven Township, three years, is also Mayor of Hunnewell; is a member of the order of Free Masons, and Knights of Pythias. He was married to Miss May Hale, of Hunnewell, in 1882, by whom he has one child - Bernard.
WILLIAM J. LINGENFELTER, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Wellington, was born in Jefferson County, Penn., in 1845, where he was reared on a farm, obtaining a little schooling, until he was twenty-two years of age. He then went into a wholesale and retail store, where he remained three and a half years. In 1865, he made a crop of cotton of 30,000 pounds, and 250 acres of corn, and returned in 1866; he then went to Gentry County, Mo., in 1867, where he remained five years, teaching, farming and merchandising. In 1872 he came to Kansas, town of South Haven, where he bought 160 acres in Section 3; subsequently he bought 800 acres, and afterwards sold off all but 240 acres, which he retains as a homestead in Section 3; has broken in all about 540 acres; of his 240 acres, all but sixty are under cultivation, and the balance in grass. His farm is all fences with hedge and the barbed wire. He has 6,000 forest trees, eighty apple, 800 peach trees, selected from the best, 100 assorted grape-vines, and a variety of small fruits. In Missouri, he was a Justice two years. Is a member of the legislature, representing the Ninety-second district, having been elected last fall, 1882. Was married to Miss Mary C. Greyson of Kansas, by whom he has three children - Rossie Jane, Mary Clorinda, Susan Catherine. Mr. Lingenfelter is a member of the Free Masons, and an ancient Odd-Fellow. He commenced life without money, and by his own energy and good management, has accumulated a competence sufficient for all needs. As a member of the legislature, he was appointed on the railroad committee, which proposed what was known as the House bill, which required the railroads of the State of Kansas, to establish a minimum rate on car lots. Through the efforts of the committee, and especially so of the Hon. Mr. Lingenfelter, the bill was passed by the house, but on reaching the Senate, it was defeated. This fact shows, that though the committee manifested great zeal and sterling honesty in their efforts to benefit and faithfully serve their constituents, yet they were unable to successfully cope with their adversary.
E. E. McDOWELL, of the firm of Avery & McDowell, general supply merchants, Hunnewell, is a native of Illinois, and was born in 1852. At the age of twenty-one he began on a farm in Illinois for himself, where he continued in the farm and stock business four years. In 1877 he came to Kansas, and located in Sumner County on a farm of 320 acres, which he improved, and ran as a grain and stock farm until 1881, at which time he went to the Nation, and herded cattle three months. He then came to Hunnewell, and commenced his present business, and is farming in connection with his other business. Mr. McDowell built four residences and improved two farms. In 1876 he married Miss Elizabeth Baker, of Illinois, by whom he has two children - Earnest and Stella. Mr. McDowell is a gentleman of the business qualifications, and a leading citizen.
JOHN M. PRINGLE, mason and well-digger, Hunnewell, is a native of Scotland, and was born in 1830, and was reared on a farm. He came to the United States in 1853, and settled in the State of New York, where he remained two years. He was then in the state of Massachusetts two years, after which he went to Wisconsin, where he was engaged in farming eleven years. He then returned to Scotland, where he remained four years, after which time he came back to the United States. In 1872 he came to Sumner County, Kan., and engaged in farming, well-digging, and fencing. In 1877 he located and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he runs as a grain farm. He has built three residences in the State, and is a member of the City Council. Mr. Pringle was married to Miss Barbara Murray, of Scotland, by whom he has seven children - John, Margaret, Anne, Sibylia, Beatrice, James and Robert. He lost his wife in 1879. He owns two farms, one in Sumner and one in Harper County. He drove the first stake, and in June, 1880, he laid the foundation of the first house that was built in Hunnewell. He also dug the first well, and rode on the first engine that ran into Hunnewell. He helped to load the first car-load of cattle that was shipped from Hunnewell; he also rode with the cattle to Wellington.
CHARLES RUSSELL, of the firm of Russell & Hol craft (sic), liverymen, Hunnewell, is a native of Michigan, and was born in 1838. He was reared on a farm, receiving a limited education. At the age of sixteen he went to Maumee, Ohio, where he remained two years. He was next in Iowa, one year in stage business; next in Michigan on farm three years. In 1858 came to Kansas, and located in Brown County on a claim of 160 acres on the Jim Lane trail, where he remained eight years, and in the meantime was in the army four years. He then went to Topeka, where he was in the livery business one year. He was next heard of in Sumner County, on a ranch of 600 acres, which he improved and ran as grain and stock farm seven years. He then went to Texas, and bought a herd of cattle, which he held one year in the Indian Territory. In 1878 he bought a livery stable in Wichita, which he handled until 1881, after which he came to Hunnewell, and opened his present business. Mr. Russell owns a herd of 200 horses, and his now preparing to start an extensive mule ranch. He owns two residences in Wichita; owns residences in Hunnewell. In 1859 Mr. Russell was married to Miss Sara Besley, of Ohio.
J. R. SLANE, merchant tailor and dealer in organs, P. O. Hunnewell, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1828. At the age of sixteen he went to learn his trade, at which he continued until 1852. He then went to Illinois, where he farmed seven years. In 1878, he emigrated to Kansas, and located on a claim of 160 acres, on Shoefly Creek, in Sumner County, where he remained two years. In 1880, he came to Hunnewell and opened his present business. He was a Councilman in 1882; was Marshal in the latter part of 1882. Mr. Slone (sic) was married to Hester A. Longdale, of Ohio, in 1851, by whom he has seven children living - Sarah, James, Stephen, Alice, Omer, Orval, Nicholas. In 1875 he lost his wife. He owns residences and business houses in Hunnewell.