KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


SHAWNEE COUNTY, Part 44

[TOC] [part 45] [part 43] [Cutler's History]

ROSSVILLE.

Soon after the Pottawatomies moved on to their reservation on the Kansas River, the St. Mary's Catholic Mission was established at a point a few miles west of the present site of Rossville Village in the township by that name. Settlements were made at a very early day in the country adjacent to the Mission; it being the nucleus of quite a large scattered population, in addition to that clustered around the mission proper.

The beauty and fertility of the Pottawatomie reserve, and the fact that it was traversed by the California and Oregon road, one of the great highways of the Territory, made it an especially desirable location, but while an Indian reservation, of course, no title to any land could be obtained except through marriage relations with the tribe. Those who settled in the vicinity of Cross Creek in 1847-48, were nearly all connected with the Pottawatomies in this way. Among those settlers were John Bassho, Stephen McPherson, William Martel, Alexander Rodd, Francis Bergeron, Anthony Tacier, Lawton and William Nasseau.

(Metsepa signifying the "cross" was the Indian name of the creek - so called, because at its junction with the Kansas the angles formed by the two streams bear a resemblance to a cross.)

Soon after their settlement, Bergeron, Tacier and Lawton built a bridge across the creek, at a point a little above the present site of the village of Rossville, on what is now Harrison street. Several bridges were built about the same time in the northern portion of the reservation - one crossing Lost Creek and one Vermillion; they were built for the benefit of the Indians at the Government expense toll being collected only from whites.

In 1849 a pole ferry was started by Charles Beaubien and Louis Ogee, crossing the Kansas River from the mouth of the creek to a point directly opposite, now in Maple Hill Township, Wabaunsee County.

The first store of which there is any record, was kept by William Dyer (afterwards of Osawkie) in 1853. Col. A. G. Boone, and James Dahoney afterwards built small log stores and traded with the Indians.

Mrs. Gibson Metty taught the first school in the township, commencing her labors in a little log cabin near the creek with about fifteen scholars, part white and part Indian. Miss Jane Woodward was also one of the very early teachers.

James Baldan, George James, George Stackhouse and Cyrus Higgenbotham, were among the settlers of 1855-58.

Dr. Robert S. Gabby, appointed Government physician at St. Mary's in 1857, moved to Cross Creek in 1861, and still resides at the village of Rossville. He was the first Justice of the Peace appointed in 1867. Mr. John Baker, who came to the place about the same time, is also still a resident.

From 1847 until 1859 the Pottawatomies received their annuities at Uniontown, from 1859 until their final payment in 1870, on the banks of Cross Creek, a little west of the present site of the village. At this point were a few shanties, occupied by Anthony Navarre (who cultivated a small farm), James Doheny and Lewis Bellaire, with their dusky families.

By the provisions of the treaty of 1861, land was allotted in severalty to the various members of the tribe who preferred separate farms, the remainder moving to the diminished reserve in Jackson County. At this time allotments were made to some seventy-five white men and six or seven white women who had married into the tribe. These old settlers own some of the finest farms in the county.

The site of the village of Rossville, comprising about 100 acres, was purchased of Anthony Navarre, So-na-ne-qua, his wife, by A. C. Sherman, Col. George W. Veale, H. H. Wilcox and Fielding Johnson, the original proprietors in 1871. The depot on the Union Pacific road was at that time established west of the creek, but through the influence of Messrs. Veale and Sherman, backed by an outlay of $1,000, it was removed to its present location in the village. The town site was surveyed and platted by J. B. Whittaker, County Surveyor, now residing in Topeka, the name of Edna being originally selected for the village; but Rossville finally decided upon both for village and township.

The first store on the village site was started by J. C. McIlvane. In 1873 Hartzell & Tatman established their drug store.

The first township election was held in April, 1872, Samuel Real being elected Trustee, James Cass, Treasurer, and Frank C. Saunders, Clerk.

In June 1881, Rossville was organized as a city of the third class. The first city election was held June 27th, and the following officers elected: H. H. Miller, Mayor; S. V. Maxwell, Samuel Kerr, M. F. Tatman, John Stoyell, and D. P. Elder, Councilmen; C. W. Talmadge, Clerk; D. G. Smith, Treasurer; City Attorney, W. C. Sherman.

All of the above are the present city officers (1881) except C. W. Talmadge, a vacancy being occasioned by his absence from the city; Gregg Navarre was appointed in his place.

Rossville is a thriving, busy place, having now four organized churches - Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist and Campbellite. One church building (Baptist) is erected, and the material on the ground to construct the Presbyterian. Five schools are in operation, three during six months of the year, and two during nine.

The Pottawatomie Land Agency, organized in 1870, and now in charge of O. LeRoy Sedgwick, has jurisdiction over all the original Pottawatomie reserve of thirty miles square, and lying on both sides of the Kansas river, except the diminished reserve of twelve miles square in Jackson County. All titles are traced to Indian proprietorship - the original allotment rolls being in the possession of this office.

A new postoffice building has recently been erected by A. C. Sherman, who is the present postmaster.

The steam mills now owned by Mulvane Bros., of Topeka, and run by W. M. Mitchner was built by J. C. McIlvane, James Baldwin and James Stearns. It has four run of stone, and manufactures patent flour, having a capacity of seventy-four barrels a day.

A brick-yard has just been started near the village by Mr. Mowers - his first kiln of one hundred and ten thousand being burned in July, 1882.

The village has now (1882) one hotel, the Maxwell House, kept by S. B. Maxwell; five general stores - C. W. Higgenbotham's, established July, 1882 (formerly Kerr & Higgenbotham); Kerr & Allen, established June, 1882; Peter Shearer (formerly Shearer & Moss); January 1, 1882; Isaac Larrance (formerly Lovejoy & Co.); August 1, 1880; and A. Urbansky's branch store.

Sherman Bros. have a large hardware store and various industries of the village are represented by J. T. Olmstead, shoemaker; George E. Cooke, Richard Mason and W. S. Templin, blacksmiths, and George E. Bushor, harnessmaker.

The physicians of the place are Drs. Gabbey, Miller and McIntire. W. C. Sherman is attorney at law.

The Kansas Valley Times was started by O. LeRoy Sedgwick, at St. Mary's, as the St. Mary's Times, in 1874. It was removed to Rossville in February, 1879, and published under the old name. Within the interim for one year, under different management, it was called the St. Mary's Democrat. In 1879 it was changed to Kansas Valley Times, and in June, 1882, sold to F. W. Kroenke, who in July removed the office to Topeka, where the paper is now printed. It has a weekly circulation of 1,300, mostly in Kansas Valley. C. W. Talmadge, of Rossville, is the local corresponding editor.

The Baptist Church was organized August 30, 1871, with the following members: T. W. Meserve and wife, James Stearns and wife, James Pulman and wife, Miss Mary Meserve; E. O. Taylor of Topeka, officiating. Rev. William Clark was first pastor. In the following January nine joined the Church, Rev. Mr. Rigby is present pastor. Trustees: H. E. Close, C. W. Higgenbotham, J. A. Smith, S. J. Oliver; the present membership is thirty.

Rossville Lodge A. O. U. W. - Incorporated June 3, 1872, with twelve charter members as follows: H. H. Miller, M. W.; W. L. Huntington, F; S. B. Maxwell, O.; C. W. Talmadge, R.; H. A. Cassabaum sic, F.; Peter Shearer, R.; R. M. Henderson, G.; H. H. Miller, medical Ex. Present membership, twenty.

Hesperian Lodge No. III. - Charter dated October 17, 1872, C. W. Higgenbotham, master; A. B. Gilman, S. W.; S. W. Spencer, J. W. Organized under dispensation August 19, 1871, with the following names of Master Masons: C. W. Higgenbotham, G. W. Kirkpatrick, S. W. Spencer, A. B. Gilman, Thomas Kidman, Thomas Moss, R. L. Downing, Henry Farbach, B. W. Higgenbotham, H. B. Henderson, W. C. Bayless. Present membership, nineteen. Present officers: H. H. Miller, W. M.; C. W. Higgenbotham, S. W.; D. W. Holt, J. W.; Alf W. Spence, Sec.; Martin Smith, Treas.; R. Bevens, J. D.; H. Kline, S. D., H. B. Henderson, tiler.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ABBOTT - GABBEY).

ARCHIBALD ABBOTT, farmer, P. O. Rossville. Has fifty-three acres in Section 2, all in cultivation. In 1882 cultivated seventy-five acres of corn, twenty acres of wheat, ten acres of oats. Came to Kansas January 8, 1856, locating in Topeka; remained eight months and removed to Salina, and ran a saw mill about a year. Returned to Topeka and remained until 1870, putting up hay on contract. Was born and raised in Kingston, Canada West. While in the United States, near South Haven, Mich., enlisted in the army in the fall of 1861, in Company C, Third Michigan Cavalry. Was with his command at Madrid, Island No. 10, Shiloh, both battles of Corinth, Iuka. Was with Grant at Vicksburg. Was in Grierson's command on his famous raid from Corinth to Iuka and Tuscumbia. Was wounded while under Gen. Hatch below Corinth, in the right leg. Was in the hospital two weeks. Was also slightly wounded in right arm at Oxford. Was mustered out in the fall of 1864 at Detroit, Mich. Was married May 30, 1871, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Elizabeth Fields, a native of Wisconsin. They have five children - Katherine, Leonora, Charles, Nettie A. and Bessie. Mr. A.'s house is a frame, 16x28, three rooms. Crib 16x24, granary 10x12. Has an orchard of twenty cherry and apple trees. Has followed threshing for three years. Improved his own land. He is a member of the Republican party.

GEORGE E. ALLEN, of the firm of Kerr & Allen, dealers in general merchandise, Main street. He has been connected with the firm since April 1, 1882. He came to the State in October, 1859, stopping in Tescumseh Township, Shawnee County, where he remained until 1862. First engaged in running a mill, located on the Whitestone, seven miles east of Topeka, and there farmed with success. In the fall of 1862 went to Boulder County, Col., where he engaged in coal business, marketing it in Denver, distant twenty miles. He remained there about two years, returning to Atchison County in the fall of 1864. Engaged in stock trading in the city of Atchison for two years, and then returned to farming in Shawnee County, Tescumseh Township. He remained here about two years, and then moved to the southern part of the State, purchasing a piece of land in the Osage District, in what is now Greenwood County. Remained nearly two years, and came back to his "first love," locating one and one-half miles southeast of Rossville. Remained there nine years, and sold out in February, 1882, and came to Rossville, where he has since resided. Was Township Trustee for one and a half years. Was born in California, Moniteau Co., Mo., October 6, 1840. Remained in his native county until eighteen years of age, farming and milling most of the time. He was married November 1, 1865, at Tescumseh, Kan., to Miss Louisa Hopkins, a native of Lexington County, Mo. They have four children - Nesbit, Anna, George J. and Gertrude. Mr. Allen is a member of the Democratic party and attends the Presbyterian Church.

JOSEPH ANDREWS, farmer, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa. Is a member of Hanover Lodge, No. 115, A. F. & A. M., of Loudonville, Ohio, and of Sylvan Lodge, No. 240, I. O. O. F., of the same place.

W. THOMAS ANDREWS, farmer, two and a half miles southwest of Rossville. The farm consists of 200 acres, which he and his mother own in common. The land is situated on Sections 4 and 9, Township 11, Range 13, and all improved except forty acres of timber. His dwelling house is 18x34 feet; two stories, seven rooms and cellar; built in 1879. His grain house is 16x24 feet, and his corn crib and stable 32x48 feet. In 1882 had 150 acres of corn, five acres of millet, ten head of horses, thirty-five head of cattle and forty-five hogs. He came to this State in the spring of 1879, from McKay, Ashland Co., Ohio, where he was born December 6, 1859.

JOSEPH BESEAU, farmer, P. O. Rossville, on Mr. Sickle's sixty-five acres, came to the State April 16, 1875, locating at St. Mary's. Remained there one summer and moved west of town. From there came to Cross Creek and remained two years. Was born in Monroe County, Mich., November 21, 1824, and came from there to Kansas. Was married in 1844, in Monroe County, Mich., to Miss Adaline Navarre. Have eight children - Darrta, sic Matilda, Mary, Willie, Frank, Francis, Richard and Emma. Is a member of the Catholic Church and a Democrat.

RICHARD BINNS, contractor and builder, the only contractor in the town, came to Rossville in March, 1871, and has been constantly engaged in his trade. Has built most of the business houses and residences in the place. In 1881 did $12,000 worth of work and has done more than that in former years. Employs five and six carpenters. Came to the State in 1870 and located in Topeka and came from there direct to Rossville. Was Justice of the Peace for two years and is a member of the School Board. Built the first government building on the Pottawatomie Reserve at a cost of $4,000. Was born in Fayette County, Pa., January 18, 1834. Remained in native county until about ten years of age. Moved to Harrison County, Ohio, and remained until twenty-one, learning his trade and attending the Friends' boarding school at Mount Pleasant, Ohio, two years. Went to Richmond, Ind. and remained working at his trade, until coming to Kansas. Was married at Richmond, Ind., November, 1852, to Miss Elona Hall, of that place. Has five children - William H., now milling in Jefferson County; Horace M. and Frank, working with their father; Anna Laura and John B. Mr. B. is a member of the Hesperian Lodge, No. 111, A. F. & A. M., Rossville. Is P. M. of that lodge. Is a member of Friends' Church, Lawrence, Kan. Was a delegate to the Republican State Convention in 1882, and has always worked with the Republican party.

JOHN A. BOND, farmer, P. O. Rossville, Sections 19 and 30, Township 10, Range 13 - 161 acres all under fence and cultivation. Has 143 acres of corn, 100 bearing apple trees, besides pears, cherries, plums and grapes. His house is 14x28, L 12x14, kitchen 12x14 - four rooms in all. Built in 1876 at a cost of $450. Barn 24x40, frame fourteen feet high. Mr. Bond came to Kansas in the fall of 1868, first locating six miles northeast of Topeka; remained there one year and moved two miles northwest of Topeka; remained there two years; moved west three miles and remained one year, and then bought a farm one and one-half miles east of Rossville, remained there four years and moved to his present location in 1876. Was born in Tyler County, W. Va., May 20, 1834. He remained in his native county until coming to Kansas. He was married in the fall of 1861, in Tyler County, to Miss Thomas, a native of that county. They have two children - Lydia and William Morris. Has 600 shade trees on his farm. Has always been a Republican.

WILLIAM BOND, farmer, three miles west of Rossville. Owns 278 acres in Sections 18, 19 and 20 - all under cultivation and fence. Has 182 acres of corn, twenty-four acres wheat, which will average eighteen bushels an acre. Has also sixty head of cattle; has eight acres of meadow, 275 fruit trees - some are bearing - 100 peach, 130 apples and 45 other trees. Has about 300 Concord grape vines, and one-half acre raspberries. His house is 30x42 feet, one story, containing five rooms; veranda entire front of house; cost $800; commenced in 1876, finished in 1882. Barn 22x42, capacity six horses; and crib will hold 1,200 bushels of corn; mow will hold about six tons of hay. He has 100 shade trees, consisting of cottonwood and maple. Blue grass yard. Has 1,005 rods of hedge. Came to Kansas in 1869 and remained in Topeka seven months. Moved to Lyon County in the spring of 1870 and located seven miles north of Emporia; remained there about eighteen months. Then moved back to Shawnee County, two miles north of Topeka, and farmed for one year; then moved one mile east of Rossville; remained one year; removed two miles southwest of Rossville, and remained two and one-half years, and moved to his present location in 1876. Was born in Tyler County, W. Va. March 13, 1836, and remained until coming to Kansas. Mr. Bond was married February 23, 1861, in Tyler County, to Miss Elizabeth J. Bond. They have five children - Walter, Henry, Mary, Margaret and Una. Has a ten-foot Eclipse wind-mill, twenty-five feet high. In politics he is a Republican.

WESLEY DAVIS, teacher, came to this state in 1877, locating in Rossville from Tyler County, W. Va. Engaged in teaching school most of the time. Has taught for several months in District No. 6, west of Rossville. The average attendance forty pupils. Has a two years' certificate, the highest grade in the county. He was born in Tyler County, W. Va., March 20, 1849. Remained in his native county until twenty-one years of age. Attended high school, Antioch, Ohio, two years. Returned home and taught school a number of terms before coming West. He has engaged in the cattle business for about four years, shipping to Baltimore and Philadelphia. Is an active member of the teachers' institute.

JOHN DE GRAFF, farmer, one mile south of Rossville, 225 acres in Section 10, Lots 1 and 2, comprising 117 in Section 9, and 132.83 acres in Section 3, in all 474.83 acres, of which 300 acres are improved, balance in timber consisting of walnut, hickory, hackberry, oak and sycamore - all under fence except timber land. In 1882, had 200 acres of corn, forty acres of wheat. Has thirty-seven cattle, forty-six hogs, eight horses, and thirteen calves. The house is 20x36 one-story; has six rooms. First part was built in 1867, and cost then about $1,500. The addition was built in 1880 at a cost of $400. Barn is 20x30; capacity, eight horses and five tons of ha; built in 1878 at a cost of $500. Granary 12x16; will hold 900 bushels of wheat. Stone smokehouse 12x16, one-story; cost $120. Mr. De Graff came to Kansas, July 7, 1865, and obtained his land through Indian title. When he came to Kansas there were not 1,000 people in Topeka and Rossville had two houses and the white people one would see were Government troops, freighters and emigrants on their way to California and New Mexico. He located on his land in 1867. Was born in Menoska Falls, near Burlington, Vt., August 18, 1832, where he resided until about fourteen, and then moved with his parents to Rochester, N. Y., where they remained about a year, and then moved to South Bend, Ind., and remained until coming to Kansas. He learned the carpenter's trade in South Bend of James Andrews, contractor and builder of that city. Was married September 28, 1867, at South Bend, Ind., to Miss Frances Navarre, a native of South Bend, and a lady of Indian extraction, being related to the Pottawatomies. They have six children - Mary Frances, John Isadore, Ellen Alice, Joseph, George and William. The family attend the Catholic Church. Mr. De Graff has always been an active Republican. He has seen the ups and downs of Kansas life and in the fall of 1865 saw the grasshoppers so thick that the trains could not run, and assisted in sanding the track at Rossville so the cars could run. He has visited his Indiana home twice since coming West in 1872 and 1881. He has an orchard of 150 apple trees, 200 grape vines, and other fruits. Has several comfortable tenement houses on his land.

JAMES DE VINEY, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Rossville, has eighty acres, all under cultivation; has fifty acres of corn, balance rye and oats. House 24x30, one and a half stories, seven rooms and a cellar. Granary 12x16; two horses, two mules, six head of cattle. Has a young orchard. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1880, from Ross County, near Chillicothe, Ohio, locating on his present farm. He was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 18, 1840. When quite young he removed to Ross County, and remained until he came to Kansas. Mr. De Viney was married May 27, 1861, in Athens, Ohio, to Miss Heppe sic Connor, of that place. They have one daughter, Jennie. Mr. V. enlisted, in 1862, in the Seventh Ohio Battery. He was in the engagements at Vicksburg, and Mobile, Ala. He was mustered out in 1865, at Camp Dennison, Ohio. He returned to Ross County, where he remained, engaged in farming, until coming to Kansas. The family attend the Presbyterian Church.

HENRY FORD, farmer, three and a half miles southeast of Rossville, owns eighty acres on Section 5, all under cultivation. In 1882 he had seventy-two acres of corn, millet and oats. House 18x30, story and a half, four rooms. Crib 10x16, holds 1,000 bushels corn. Smokehouse 10x12; three milch cows, four horses, eighteen hogs. He came to Kansas in February, 1863, locating in Manhattan, where he remained about two years in the employ of the Kansas Stage Company, driving from Topeka to Manhattan until the completion of the K. P. R. R. He came to Rossville in the spring of 1867 and commenced improving his farm. He was born in Mansfield, Ohio, May 13, 1836, and when quite young moved to Wells County, Ind., where he remained about five years, and moved to Hayesville, Ky., where he remained a short time and moved to Chester, Ill.; worked there and in Keokuk, Iowa, and in northeastern Missouri and Illinois, and in 1860 went to Denver, Col., where he was in the employ of the Western Stage Company for about three years, in various capacities, and freighted from Omaha to Denver. He was married, in 1864, at Manhattan, Kas., to Miss Mary Nedow, a native of Indiana, and they have five children - Alice, Benjamin, Ida, Henry and Luin. sic He has always been a Republican. Is Clerk of School District No. 77, and Road Supervisor of District No. 5. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Rossville, Kas.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, farmer, four miles due north of Rossville, owns 490 acres in a body on Section 10, Township 10, Range 13; over 300 acres under cultivation. In 1882 crops were as follows: corn, 100 acres; wheat, 100. Has 100 head of hogs, 50 cattle, 24 horses, and 7 mules; header, reaper, mower and all necessary farm machinery. House 16x30, story and a half, and four rooms built in 1877. Barn 16x28. Orchard consists of apples, peaches and cherries. Mr. Franklin came to Kansas in 1857, first locating in Jackson County, ten miles southeast of the county seat, remained a few months and removed to Nemaha County, twenty-four miles southeast of Seneca, and remained seven years, improving 100 acres; then moved back to Jackson County, to James Crossing, and remained one year and a half, and then moved to Holton, where he remained about four years. He removed to his present farm in the spring of 1869; enlisted in the Kansas State Militia in 1864, to repel the invasion of Price's army; went to Independence and Kansas City; was out about two months; came into Shawnee County before the ratification of the treaty with the Indians. He was born in Ross County, Ohio, December 5, 1820. Remained in his native county until 1833, and removed to Randolph County, Ind., and remained until 1844, and moved to Warren County, remaining several years, and moved to Jasper County, now Newton, and remained until coming to Kansas. He followed farming nearly all of the time, but worked in a mill before he was married. He was married in September, 1843, near Winchester, Randolph Co., Ind., to Miss Sarah Woodburn, of Preble County, Ohio. They have six children living - William, living near St. Clair, Pottawatomie County; Rebecca, now Mrs. Joy now living one mile west of her father; Fred K., living one-half mile west of his father; Joseph M., Alice L. and Lucy Q., living at home. He is a member of the United Brethren Church. Has been a School Director for five years. Has always worked with the Republican party, and has been a delegate to several county conventions.

JOHN FRITZ, farmer, P. O. Rossville, owns sixty acres on Section 36, Township 10, Range 12, all improved and under cultivation, except twenty acres of timber. In 1882 he had 100 acres corn, 32 acres wheat, and 27 acres sorghum; has 25 head cattle, 4 mules, and 1 horse. House 18x24, story and a half, with kitchen 12x24, 7 rooms in all; built in 1880, at a cost of $800. Barn 24x40 - will hold 6 horses and 12 tons of hay. Corn crib will hold 1,200 bushels. Woodhouse. Granary 14x24. Mr. Fritz came to Kansas in the spring of 1877 from Lee County, Ill., and remained there with the exception of seven years, until coming to Kansas. Was in the stock business seven years in Pennsylvania. When twelve years old he lost his right arm in a threshing machine in Pennsylvania. Was married in 1878, in Illinois, to Miss Mary Berkey, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child - Charles.

DR. ROBERT S. GABBEY, physician and surgeon, came to the Territory in 1857, being appointed as Government physician for the Pottawatomie Indians, but first opened an office in Fort Leavenworth and came to the reservation in December, 1857. The reservation then was about thirty miles square and contained 2,770 Indians and forty-six whites as the Doctor remembers it. Served four years at St. Mary's and was re-appointed and served two years more at Rossville. Selected a farm of 160 acres adjoining Rossville on the east and still owns the land. It was one of the original Indian allotment tracts. Was born at Camdensburg, Pa., May 4, 1833. Remained there until more than twenty-one years of age. Graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1855, and graduated in the literary course of the same institution, class of 1852. Opened an office in Terre Haute, Ind., and removed to Cairo, Ill. Remained a short time and removed to St. Louis and various places in the West and finally came to Leavenworth in May, 1857. Has held the position of Justice of the Peace four terms in Rossville. Was nominated by the Democratic convention 1858 or 1859 for Representative of a large district, the convention being held at Manhattan, but declined on account of his duties as Government physician. The Doctor has engaged in a variety of pursuits. Was in Montana Territory twice, engaged in mining and was in mercantile business for a time, but for the past five years he has devoted himself to his profession. He was married in the fall of 1854, near Columbus, Ohio, to Miss Anna Welton, of that city. They have four children, all born in Kansas, Frank, on the farm; Alice, now Mrs. McCabe, whose husband is a son of Rev. Dr. McCabe, of Topeka, and employed in the Santa Fe offices; Anna, now Mrs. Gutshall, of Pueblo, Col., whose husband is Deputy Sheriff and Sergeant of Police, and Albert, at home.

[TOC] [part 45] [part 43] [Cutler's History]