|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KENNEDY - WORDEN).
EVAN R. KENNEDY, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake; 220 acres on Sections 27 and 22, Town 11, Range 14 east; 200 acres under cultivation. balance timber, runs onto the Kaw River. In 1882 had 120 acres corn, ten acres each of millet and rye; has twenty head of cattle and fourteen horses; stone house twenty by forty, two stories and basement, built in 1870 at a cost of $1,500. Came to Kansas in 1847, and has resided on the same place ever since. Moved from Chicago to Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1844. Remained there until the Pottawatomies came onto their reservation and came with them. The tribe numbered 5,000 when they came to this State. He learned the language sufficiently to do business with them. Was married in 1846 at Council Bluffs, Iowa to Ke-bi-ah (signifying Susan), the daughter of Wa-u-da-gah, a medicine man of the nation, and they have seven children - Charles H., Ransom B., Evan R., Jr., John, Edward, Valance Lincoln and Allan; all living except Charles, who died in 1880; all born in Kansas except one, and on the same farm where Mr. K. now resides. Mr. K. was nominally a member of the tribe. Was born in South Bend, Ind., June 1, 1824, and went to La Porte County in 1827, where he resided until coming to Kansas, working at carpentering and farming. helped organize Shawnee County, and took an active interest in the troubles of 1856. Was a member of State Militia during Price's raid and helped guard the capital. Three of his wife's brothers were in the army, all members of the tribe at the time they enlisted. Perhaps no man in the State is better posted on the early settlement and history of Kansas than Mr. K.
E. R. KENNEDY, farmer and ferryman, two and a half miles southeast of Silver Lake, has forty acres of land, partly under cultivation and part timber. Was born on the "Kennedy farm," Silver Lake Township, June 14, 1855, and was one of the first male children born in the township. The Kaw Valley Ferry is the only ferry in the county, and has been running about seven years, and Mr. K. has changed the location several times. Does a best business in the fall, and can make $500 a year. Mr. K. can remember during the California immigration when corn was one dollar and fifty cents a bushel, and prairie hay forty dollars a ton. Has been twice married; in 1874 to Miss Ellen Rock, who died in 1876, and had two children - Ransom and Madison; again in 1880 to Miss Margaret Ramer; they have one child - George.
CHARLES R. KINSEY, farmer, 210 acres, two miles northwest of Silver Lake, all under fence and 140 acres under cultivation. In 1882 had eighty acres of corn, thirty acres wheat, 200 apple trees, peaches and other fruits; house twenty-two by sixteen, two stories; stone stable and frame granary, fifty head of cattle, twenty head hogs, four horses and two colts. Came to Kansas in 1872 and moved to present location in 1879. Was born in Belmont County, Ohio, December 16, 1856 and resided there until coming to Kansas. Was married November 25, 1880, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Ida M. Edwards; they have one child, a boy - O. D. Mrs. K. is a member of Topeka Baptist Church.
THOMAS B. LOUDERBOUGH, farmer, five miles northeast of Silver Lake; has eighty acres, five in timber. In 1882 had seventy-two acres of corn. The main part of his house is twenty-four by sixteen, story and half, and an addition of twelve by sixteen, one story, six rooms in all, built in 1879, cost $750. Frame stable and corn-crib attached, stable twelve by twenty-four, crib twelve by twenty, will hold 1,200 bushels. Has a young orchard of forty trees and a hedge around most of his farm. He came to Kansas in September, 1877, locating in Silver Lake Township. He moved to his present location in the fall of 1881. Mr. L. was born in Bucks County, Pa., November 28, 1848, and moved to Delaware when five years old. He was married in Silver Lake Township, March 1, 1881, to Miss Ayers, a native of Indiana. He is a member of Ohio Lodge, No. 132, I. O. O. F.
MRS. H. McGEE farms 160 acres near Kingsville. In 1882 had fifty acres corn, rye forty, twelve acres oats. Came to Kansas in 1876, settling near Valley Falls, Jefferson County. Remained there until 1881, when they moved to present location. Husband's name was John McGee, born in Kentucky, January 1, 1830. Went to Buchanan County, Mo. when about seventeen years old. He was married in 1854, in Buchanan County, Mo., to Miss H. Farrell, a native of Tennessee. Removed to Clarinda, Page Co., Iowa, and remained two years, and came to Kansas. Has six children - Sarah, James, John, Fanny, Robert and Roxy. Mr. McGee died in Clarinda.
DR. A. G. MAGILL, physician and surgeon, also dealer in drugs and medicines, postoffice building, came to Kansas in July, 1879, from central Missouri and located at Silver Lake, opening a drug store. Did not design practicing his profession at first, but at the urgent solicitation of friends resumed the practice in the fall of 1881. Was born in Belmont County, Ohio, May 27, 1833, where he resided until 1844, when he removed to Cincinnati with his parents. Remained in that city until the spring of 1854, meanwhile attending the lectures of the American Medical College, graduating from that institution in the spring of 1854. Commenced reading with Dr. A. H. Baldridge, professor of the diseases of women and children. Then removed to Butler County, Ohio, and began the practice of medicine, which he continued about three years, and removed to Cincinnati again, on account of failing health. Did some practice there, and remained until 1861, when he enlisted in the postal service of the United States, which he continued for two years, traveling some, but making his headquarters at Cincinnati. Resumed his profession, and in 1865 went removed to Tipton, Moniteau Co., Mo., 163 miles west of St. Louis. Continued practice and drug business until coming to Kansas. Was married in Missouri to Mrs. Margaret E. Kelley, daughter of M. Sweeney, Esq., late of Rock Island, Ill., and a sister of Hon. M. B. Sweeney, attorney for the Rock Island railroad. They have three children - Nettie, now Mrs. Dolman of Topeka; Almina and Ida. Mrs. Magill had one son when married to the doctor, Joseph Kelley, now traveling for Wakefield's Medicine Company, of Bloomington, Ill.
MRS. ANN MANGOLD, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake; 160 acres, eighty acres under cultivation. In 1882 had sixty acres of corn, which averaged forty-five bushels an acre. House stone, 18x24, two stories, three rooms, built in 1870; cost about $500. Barn, 14x60, stone, one story and hay loft, will hold ten horses and five tons of hay; built in 1873. Orchard of fifteen acres, apples, cherries and peaches, nearly all bearing. Has seventy-five head of cattle, eight horses and sixty-five hogs. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1868. Remained at Auburn one year, then moved onto the Wakarusa; remained one year and moved to present location in 1870. Was born in Hardy County, W. Va., August 30, 1821. When sixteen years of age moved to Greene County, Ohio; remained there two years, and then moved to Henry County, Ind. Hiram Mangold, her husband, was born in Hardy County, W. Va., April 23, 1824. They were married February 27, 1838, and moved to Indiana. Has seven children - Sarah, John, Harvey, Martha, Hiram, Lucinda, Frank. Mr. Mangold died September 13, 1874. He was a member of the Dunkard Church.
H. C. MILLER, farmer, seventy acres, one-half mile west of Silver Lake. In 1882 had fifty acres of corn, five acres of millet and eight head of cattle and two horses. Came to Kansas in February, 1875, from Scott County, Mo. Was born in Jefferson County, Ill., October 17, 1842; moved to St. Louis County, in 1847, and remained there until November, 1853, and then moved to Scott County, Mo. Enlisted August 4, 1861, at Cape Giradeau, Mo., in Missouri State Militia, and December 12 joined Company F, Twentieth Illinois Light Artillery. Was in the battle of Shiloh, both sieges, and second battle of Corinth. His last general engagement was the battle of Peach Tree Ridge, where he was captured July 22, 1864, and remained a prisoner at Andersonville until December 18, 1864, and finally paroled and mustered out at Springfield, Ill., February 22, 1865. Was married July 22, 1865, in Scott County, Mo., to Miss Mary A. Burkhardt, a native of France.
THOMAS NEISWENDER, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake; eighty acres, on Section 23, Town 11, Range 14, three miles east of Silver Lake; all under cultivation and fence. In 1882 had fifty acres of corn, twenty acres of rye, ten acres of millet; has fifty head of cattle and thirteen horses. Main part of house, 14x28, story and a half; addition 20x28, six rooms in all; built in 1868, at a cost of $1,600. Orchard of 100 apple, fourteen pear, fifty-four cherry trees, and sixty grape vines. Came to Kansas in 1868 from Columbus, Ohio, where he was born February 27, 1868. sic Has always followed farming and stock-raising. Has always been an active Republican.
JOHN J. OLIVER, proprietor Oliver House and livery barn, came to Kansas, August 27, 1857, from Philadelphia, Pa., and first located at Osawkie, Jefferson County, and engaged in the carpentering business, as one of the first residents of the town. Remained there until 1863, and engaged in the saloon business one year, and removed to the present site of Rossville, and farmed until 1869, and then removed to Soldier Creek, buying a farm of eighty acres, four and one-half miles north of the present town of Silver Lake, and remained until 1871, and then moved to the town and opened a saloon. In 1870 built the present substantial brick and stone building now occupied as the post-office and drug store of Dr. Magill. The present hotel building was erected in 1873, and opened September 16, 1875. The house is 25x75 feet, two stories high, and contains fifteen rooms with a capacity of forty guests. Original cost, $2,100; with addition will make it $2,800. The hotel and livery barn built in 1880, at a cost of $1,500; size, 32x70, all stone, with buggy sheds on the west; capacity for twenty-five head of horses, four buggies and spring wagons. Mr. Oliver was born in Philadelphia, Pa., September 10, 1835, where he remained until June 5, 1855, learning the trade of cooper. Went from there to Alton, Ill., and worked at his trade about one year. Removed to Peoria, and remained as clerk about one year in the Massasoit House. Returned to Philadelphia and was married, June 22, 1857, to Miss Emily L. Boswell, a native of that city, and then came to Kansas. They have two children, Clara, now Mrs. Edward Thompson, and Lizzie B. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Great Light Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Silver Lake. He was a member of the Nineteenth Kansas Regiment, State Militia, and participated in the battles of the Blue, Westport and other engagements. Was Quartermaster Sergeant. Mr. Oliver's family were of the first white families to settle in the Pottawatomie Reservation. He has been an active and prominent Democrat, and has attended several conventions as a delegate.
GARRETT PALMER, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake, Section 10, Township 11, Range 14, eighty acres all under cultivation. In 1882 had sixty-five acres of corn and five acres seeded down to alfalfa, a California grass. Has five head of horses and two cows. Residence is stone, thirty feet square, one story and basement, eight rooms in all; built in 1879, costing $1,000; small frame barn fourteen feet square. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1867, locating at Silver Lake; moved to his present location in 1869. Was born in Onondago County, N. Y., March 8, 1826; remained there until twenty-seven years of age, farming. Removed from there to Kankakee, Ill., and remained fourteen years, farming. Was married November 3, 1849, in Cattaraugas County, N. Y., to Miss E. J. Strickland. They have had three children, two of whom are dead. Wallace F. is now living with his father on the home place.
JOSEPH PETERS, farmer, 340 acres at Kingsville, Kansas. In 1882 had 260 acres of corn. thirty acres of oats, forty acres of millet. Came to Kansas in 1876, locating at Topeka three months, moved to Soldier Creek and remained one year, and from there to his present location. He was born in Lehigh County, Pa., December 1, 1836; when thirteen he moved to Northampton County, and remained until coming to Kansas. Engaged in milling eleven years in Northampton, and at other times was engaged in farming. Enlisted in 1862 under a call from Governor Curtin, and was in the battle of Gettysburg, and was commissioned as Captain. He was married in 1858 in Northampton County, Pa., to Miss Mary E. Linn. They have six children living - Henry J., John F., Thomas S., Charles P., Morris S. and Freddie R. Is a member of America Mechanics. Has always been an active Republican.
JAMES P. QUINTARD, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake; 320 acres, 160 acres in the home farm and 160 on Soldier Creek, four and a half miles north. Home farm all under cultivation. In 1882 had 100 acres of corn. Has thirty head of cattle, three horses and seven hogs, all Berkshire. House is stone, 18x30, addition 10x25; main part one and a half stories, six rooms in all; built in 1869, cost $2,000. Tenement house 14x16 and outbuildings. Has about 125 peach trees about forty bearing. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1860, when there were no railroads. He was born in Norwalk, Conn., October 21, 1839, and when quite young moved to Ohio. He was married December 17, 1869, in Knox County, Ohio, Miss Madeline Watkins, a native of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and has eight girls - Mary L., Francis J., Lenore M., Estelle E., Alice J., Maud M., Mabel G. and Maddie F. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has been a member of the School Board fourteen years, with the exception of one year.
GEORGE RAMER, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake; forty acres on Section 22, Township 11, Range 14, all under plow and hedge fence around it. Has three horses, thirteen hogs; house, 16x24, story and a half, built in 1876; cost $416, three rooms; orchard, 150 bearing trees; corn crib will hold 1,000 bushels. Came to Kansas in 1876 from Montgomery County, Mo. Was born in Dearborn County, Ind., April 18, 1832, and resided there until thirty years of age, working at coopering. Was married August 14, 1854, to Miss Sarah A. Johnson, who died in Montgomery County, Mo., in 1876. Has six children - Margaret J., Mary O., David F., James F., Sarah F. and Albert Scott. Moved to Missouri in the fall of 1865, and resided there until coming to Kansas.
W. S. ROOTS, farmer, two miles west of Silver Lake, has eighty acres all under cultivation and fence. In 1882 had seventy acres of corn and ten acres millet. Has four head of horses, seventy head of hogs and twelve cattle. House 24x26, one story, built in 1875. Came to Kansas in the fall of 1869, first locating near Topeka. Homesteaded in Nemaha County and remained three years. Located at his present place in 1877. Was born in Litchfield County, Conn., October 22, 1845, where he remained until 1869, and worked at iron moulding a portion of the time. Moved to Iriquois sic County, Ill., and from there to Kansas. Was married April 10, 1879, to Miss Martha S. Johnson, and has two children - Ida M. and William Stanley. Is a member of Ohio Lodge No. 132, I. O. O. F., Silver Lake, Kan.
ED. SMITH, barber, was born in Matamoras, Mexico, in 1851, and when seven years old moved to San Antonio, and followed his trade. sic When seventeen moved to Galveston, Tex.; resided there about five years and then came to Lawrence, Kan., where he resided until September, 1881, when he came to Silver Lake. For many years was on the old Chism trail in Texas, and from thence came to Oberlin and Fort Kearney, and McPherson, Neb., in the cattle business, and for several months was foreman for Ben. Gallagher of Omaha, Neb., and was also in the employ of McCarthey, the noted Texas cattle man. Was married in 1877 at Lawrence Kan., to Miss Henrietta Rodgers, and has one child, Hattie.
JAMES E. THOMPSON, groceries, restaurant, bakery, and fruit stand, came to Kansas in October, 1854, first locating in Nemaha County. Was in the employ of McGraw's Overland Stage Company from Independence, Mo., and drove through to Salt Lake City. Made five trips for them. Then in the fall of 1855 took a drove of 300 fat cattle from Leavenworth to Laramie City, returned to Kansas and took a claim on the Nemaha and laid off a town called Richmond. As a member of the Western Mining Company ran a store a short time at Richmond and moved to Lecompton in the spring of 1856, where he built a boarding-house and saloon; boarded the First and Second Legislature which met in Lecompton. Was appointed the first Sheriff of Nemaha; also appointed Colonel of Northern Division of Kansas Militia under Gov. Gearey's administration. Left Lecompton in the spring of 1858 and came on the first steamboat going to Topeka. Was familiar with all the historic men of those days, and losing all his property, returned to Pekin, Ill. in 1863. Remained there until the close of the war and then returned to Kansas and settled on the Pottawatomie Reserve and helped to survey Silver Lake, and has been in the grocery business most of the time since. He was born in London, Madison Co., Ohio, January 26, 1833. When sixteen years of age, moved to Pekin, Ill., and had a mail contract with his brothers, one of whom, J. C., was Postmaster at Pekin and afterwards was appointed Surveyor-General of Kansas under Gen. Calhoun. Mr. Thompson was married in 1855 Western Missouri to Miss Mary J. Smith, a native of Ross County, Ohio. They have two children, Edward, who was the first male child born in Kansas at Lecompton, January 19, 1857, and Carrie.
F. B. TOMSON, farmer, P. O. Silver Lake. Has eighty acres of land, all improved; a story and a half house, containing five rooms, which was built in 1872 and cost $400. He also has a two-story stone barn 20x24, built in 1879 at a cost of $500. He has an orchard of 400 apple, 200 pear, 100 cherry and 1,000 peach, nearly all bearing, also 1,500 forest trees. Was born in Warren County, Ohio, and moved to Franklin County, Ind., when three years old, but soon after moved to Butler County, Ohio, where he lived till 1842, when he moved to Preble County, Ohio. He lived in Preble until 1865, when he moved to Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio, where he lived five years and then moved to Shawnee County, Kan., in 1870. He worked at the carpenter trade continually till he moved to Kansas. He was married in 1840 to Miss Mary A. Barnhisel, a native of Perry County, Pa., but raised in Hamilton County, Ohio. They have raised seven children, Oscar, Adaline, Isabel, Martha A., John, Albert and Edwin. Mr. Tomson was paralyzed on his left side March 6, 1877. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has been a warm and earnest Republican from the time the party was first organized.
HENRY D. TUTTLE, M. D., physician and surgeon, located in Silver Lake in May, 1876. Came from Fort Leavenworth. He was born in Three Rivers, Canada, December 13, 1828, When quite young, he moved with his parents to Ann Arbor, Mich., where he remained until grown, meanwhile completing his literary course and studying medicine under Dr. Sage and Dr. Douglas, Professor of Chemistry, and Dr. Gunn, who was afterwards appointed Professor of Anatomy in Michigan University and afterwards Professor of Surgery in Rush Medical College. From there he went to Grand Haven and other points in Michigan, and subsequently to San Antonio, Tex., as Surgeon of Military Posts. Returned to Fort Leavenworth and remained until the war commenced. In 1862 he received a commission from Gov. Robinson as Assistant Surgeon in the Tenth Kansas Infantry. The following year he was promoted to Surgeon of the same regiment by Gov. Carney, and held that position until the close of the war. Was mustered out at Montgomery, Ala., and discharged at Fort Leavenworth, where he resumed practice. In 1867 he went to Forts Union and Sumner, New Mexico, acting as Assistant Surgeon for the Government. Remained about six months, and returned to Fort Leavenworth, and came from that city to Silver Lake in 1876. He was married in 1867, at Fort Leavenworth, to Miss Lucy Esseman, a native of Hartford, Conn. They have one son, Fred G., now editor and publisher of the North Star, at Ortonville, Big Stone Co., Minn.
BENJAMIN F. VANORSDOL, farmer and orchardist, P. O. Silver Lake, has 200 acres under cultivation and enclosed, two and one-half miles northeast of Silver Lake, in Monoken Township. In 1882 had sixty acres of corn. Residence is 14x22 with an L 16x32, all containing six rooms; built in 1880. He came to his present location in 1870. Has an orchard of forty acres planted from one to ten years. Has about 2,500 apple trees, 1,000 bearing. In 1881 had about 500 bushels apples. Has about 2,000 peach trees, about 600 bearing. Has 100 of each, pears and plums, and 150 cherry trees, besides having all varieties of small fruit. Mr. V. has accomplished this magnificent showing by his own labor, besides has a fine avenue shaded with soft maple, ailantus, cottonwood and elm. He was born in Shelby County, Ind., November 21, 1835. When five years old his parents moved to Henry County, Iowa, where he resided until 1861. He completed the classical course of the Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in June, 1860, and enlisted the following year in Company F., First Iowa. Was at the battle of Wilson's Creek and completed the term of enlistment of three months' men and removed to Ohio, locating in Preble County and taught school until 1864, when he was made major of the Thirty-fourth Ohio National Guards, which was merged into the One Hundred and Fifty-sixth United States Volunteer 100 day men. Was through Kentucky and in the battle of Cumberland, Md. Held his commission as Major of the Thirty-fourth National Guards for five years. Read law in Eaton, Ohio. Was admitted to the bar in July, 1865. He was married in Preble County, Ohio, in 1865, to Miss Nancy Pottinger, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Mary E. and Thomas P. He is a member of the Ohio Lodge, No. 132, Silver Lake I. O. O. F., and District Deputy Grand Master. With the exception of one year has held that position since the organization of the lodge. Has always been a prominent and active Republican.
F. M. VANORSDOL, farmer and fruit-grower, two and one-half miles northeast of Silver Lake. Has 160 acres, 110 acres under cultivation. Has about thirty acres in fruit; peaches, apples and other fruit. In 1882 had thirty acres of grain. House 14x24, with an addition 12x14, built in 1870 at a cost of $700. Came to Kansas in 1869 and first located in Topeka, remaining one year. Moved to his present location in 1872. Was born in Louisa County, Iowa, September 18, 1845. When quite young changed his location, finally locating in Henry County, Iowa, where he remained. Enlisted in 1863 in Company K., Fourth Iowa Cavalry. Was with his command in pursuit of Price, and at Memphis and Vicksburg, and in Gen. A. J. Smith's command in Tennessee. Was through Alabama and Georgia with Gen. Wilson. Was mustered out in August, 1865, at Atlanta, Ga. Returned to Iowa and continued to reside there until coming to Kansas. Was married in 1866 at Mount Pleasant, Iowa to Miss Katie Howe, and has five children: William, George, James, Frank and Belle. Has always been a Republican.
GEORGE W. VANORSDOL, farmer and fruit grower; 120 acres, situated one and one-half miles northeast of Silver Lake. Land all under cultivation. Has 45 acres in fruit. Has 2,000 apple trees, 5,000 peach, 100 pears, 200 cherries, about one-half bearing. Apples are all grafted with the best varieties. Mr. Vanorsdol has been in the fruit business for eleven years. Came to Kansas in 1870 from Henry County, Iowa. Was born in Shelby County, Ind., October 13, 1839, but moved to Iowa when quite young. Started a nursery near Afton, Union Co., Iowa, in 1868, ran it three years and then came to Kansas. Enlisted in Company E, First Iowa Cavalry in 1861. Was in guerrilla warfare throughout Missouri and Arkansas and in pursuit of Price. Was promoted to Sergeant. Was mustered out in 1864 at Davenport, Iowa, and returned to Henry County, Iowa. Was married in 1864 at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, to Miss Samantha Lowell, and has six children living: May, Eugene, Jennie, Ira, Fred and Lizzie. Has always been a Republican. Is a member of the School Board, District No. 19.
WORDEN & HARDY, dealers in hardware, stoves, implements, and tinware. Also buy grain and live-stock. Trade will average $15,000 per year. In 1879 bought about 200,000 bushels of corn. Finds a market in Kansas City and St. Louis for grain and stock. The firm shipped in the first six months of 1882 about ten cars of hogs. Mr. Worden came to Silver Lake in 1875 and engaged in grain business. The following year opened a hardware store. He was born in Syracuse, N. Y., March 22, 1848. Resided there until twenty-one years of age, attending school and farming. Moved to Wayne County, Iowa, and improved 160 acres of land in 1869. Returned to New York in 1872, bought his father's farm and remained eleven months, then coming West. Was married September 30, 1869, at Dexter, Mich., to Miss Lucy A. Dibble, a native of Michigan. They have four children: Susie A., Monroe D., Ralph E., and Charley. Mr. Worden is a member of Lake Lodge, No. 51, A. F. & A. M., also of I. O. O. F. Mr. Hardy came to Kansas in 1878. Was engaged with Mr. Worden about a year and a half and with Mr. Cross in grain business about six months. Was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, November 3, 1848. Came to Lucas County, Iowa in 1878 and remained two years and removed to California, where he remained two years. Was married December 28, 1881, at Silver Lake, Kansas, to Miss Alice A. Towles, a native of Danville, Ind.