|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HASS - PERRY).
MARTIN HASS, farmer, P. O. Rossville, owns 60 acres on the northeast quarter of Section 15, and eighty acres in the northwest quarter, all under cultivation. In 1882 had thirty acres of corn, thirty acres of wheat and twenty acres of rye and oats. Came to Kansas in 1857, locating in Jackson County, near Holton, where he remained until 1877, farming. Enlisted in August, 1862, at Holton, Kas., in Company B, Eleventh Kansas. Was on the frontier in Arkansas and Colorado, as escort for Government trains. Had a fight on the North Platte, about two hundred miles northwest of Laramie, with about 1,500 Indians. Was mustered out in 1865 at Leavenworth. Returned to Holton. Was born in Richland County, Ohio, July 9, 1844. When about seven years old, moved to Tama County, Iowa, remaining there about six years and came to Kansas. Was married in 1869 in Jackson County to Miss Eliza E. Burnett. They have five children: Julia A., Ida May, Nora B., Robert H. and Eva Estella. Is a member of Dunkard or German Baptist Church at Osawkie. Is a Republican.
LEONARD J. HOLLENBECK, billiard hall, Main street, basement of Mason & Nidow building, came to Rossville in 1868. Went to Indiana in 1876 and remained one summer. Has engaged in carpenter work for several years. In 1877 went to the Black Hills, remaining one year engaged in placer mining. He was born in Albany County, N. Y., January 20, 1840, remained there until he was thirty years of age, working on a farm with his father. He was married in the fall of 1860 in Scoharie sic County, N. Y., to Miss Mary Smith, a native of that County. They have two children: Hattie and Wilsey. Mr. H. has always been identified with the Republican party.
WARREN L. HUNTINGTON, engineer of Rossville Milling Company. Came to Kansas in March, 1878, and located at Rossville, from Hudson, St. Croix Co., Wis. Has been engineer of the mill ever since coming to the State. Was born in Middlebury, Addison Co., Vt., June 10, 1848. Remained in native place until nineteen years of age attending school and working at his trade, which he commenced when thirteen years of age on the Vermont Central Railroad. Went to Wisconsin in 1867 and entered the employ of the C. M. & St. P. R. R., running an engine on the La Crosse Division, which he continued for five years, and went from that road to the West Wisconsin R. R., running from Elroy to St. Paul, on what is now the C., St. P. M. & O. R. R. Came from there to Rossville, Kas. Was married at Watertown, Wis., December 25, 1869, to Miss A. M. Mileham, a native of Pike County, Pa., and has one child, Stephen C., ten years old, born in New Richmond, Wis. Mr. H. is financier of Rossville Lodge No. 75, A. O. U. W. Is a member of St. Paul Division, No. 150, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. Has always been identified with the Republican party.
MRS. ANNA JAMIESON, P. O. Rossville, owns 140 acres in Sections 23 and 26, Township 10, Range 13; ninety acres under cultivation, forty acres of wheat, twenty-five of corn, eight of oats, rye and millet. Has twenty-two head of cattle. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1879 from Moline, Ill. Resided in Moline about twenty-eight years. Was born in Sheffield, England, June 24, 1834. Came to America when twenty-one years old. She was married to William Jamieson in England, October 18, 1855. She has eight children: Edmund G., Walter S., Alexander F., Stanton T., Harry, Arthur, William and Anna. Mr. Jamieson died in 1870, in Moline, Ill. Mrs. J. is a member of the Episcopal Church.
HENRY A. KASSEBAUM (sic), farmer, P. O. Rossville, owns 2,420 acres, 1,300 acres on his home farm, 300 in the Kansas River bottom, and 920 acres south of the river, south of Buffalo Mound. His home farm is all under fence, and has three tenement houses, one east of his residence, with four rooms and cellar, one southeast with two rooms and one half mile west with two rooms. Has two tenement houses on river farm, one two-story and one one-story. The land south of the river is all in grass. Has one tenement house there, story and a half, with three rooms. The land is well watered and contains some coal. Mr. K's residence is 20x30, main part story and a half, with an L 20x28, all containing ten rooms, well finished, with large cellar. Also has stone smokehouse, 10x20, with cellar; stone chickenhouse, 12x16 feet; his barn is stone, 30x50, two stories; three corncribs and granary, one 14x80, two stories, stone below and frame above; cattle sheds 16x140; granary 12x28. Has an orchard of about 700 peach and 400 apple trees, all bearing. The house and barn will built about eleven years ago, the former costing $1,800 and the latter $1,600. Mr. K. also owns five lots in Rossville. Has 150 head of cattle, eight horses, twenty-five hogs, thirty-six sheep. Is well supplied with farm machinery, buggies, wagons, etc. His acreage of grain for 1882 was as follows: 220 acres wheat and rye, thirty of oats, millet thirty-five, and about 300 acres of corn. Mr. K. came to Kansas in 1870 from Hancock County, Ind. He was born at Brookmell, near Hanover, Prussia, and came to America when seven years of age with his parents, who located at Cincinnati, Ohio where they remained four and one half years. Moved to Switzerland County, Ind., where his father purchased a small farm and Henry helped clear the land, cutting timber, burning brush and splitting rails. Remained there until about twenty-two years of age, and went to Cross Plains, Ind., and entered a store with James McGee. Remained in his store four and one half years, at the following salaries: First year, $90; second, $110; third, $130; fourth, $140; fifth, at the rate of $150. He saved $650 out of his salary, and was married March 25, 1860, at Olean, Ripley Co., Ind., to Miss Mary L. Brobst, of Cincinnati, and went into mercantile business at Olean, running a small country store, his wife running millinery business in connection. He remained there two years, and went to Indianapolis, opening a store on Massachusetts avenue, in partnership with his wife, but only continued one year, and moved to New Palestine, sixteen miles east of Indianapolis, and started with small capital against great odds, but was finally successful. They have had eight children, six living - Benjamin F., who is a graduate of Baldwin College, having attained the highest excellence in penmanship; William N., Henry A., Jr., Edward W., Katie M. and Emma S. Five were born in Indiana and three in Kansas. Mr. K. is a member of Rossville Lodge No. 75, A. O. U. W.; receiver of that lodge. Is one of the deacons of the Presbyterian Church and a Republican.
SAMUEL KERR, of the firm of Kerr & Allen, dealers in general merchandise, Main street, came to Kansas in the spring of 1865, locating in Jefferson County, where he remained seven years, clerking and merchandising on his own account. Removed to Rossville in 1872; opened a store at his present place of business, where he has since been constantly. The firm was first Kerr & McGrew; afterwards Kerr & Higgenbotham until the spring of 1882. Handled farm implements for about five years. Business will average $30,000 per annum, first year's business did not amount to over $10,000. He has been a member of town council. Mr. Kerr was born in Holmes County, Ohio, April 4, 1842. Remained in his native county until twenty-one years of age. Attended school at Berlin, Ohio, and engaged in farming; the last two years taught district school. Went to Allen County, Ind., remaining one year, and from there to Kansas. Is a member of Shawnee Lodge No. 1, I. O. O. F. Was married January 15, 1876, at Westfield, N. Y., to Miss Grace L. Copeland, a native of Pennsylvania, and has two children - Walter and Freddie. Mr. Kerr is a member of the Democratic party.
T. J. KIERNAN, farmer, P. O. Rossville, west half of northeast quarter of Section 25; eighty acres all under fence and cultivation; has fifty acres in corn and twelve acres of oats which will average fifty bushels per acre; has thirty-one head of cattle and four horses; house 12x26, and 10x14, three rooms, cellar under all; came to Kansas in 1860, locating in Johnson County, remained a short time, and went to Missouri and remained until the war, when he came to Kansas and enlisted at Lawrence in Company F, First Kansas Regiment; was at the battle of Wilson's Creek, and was discharged at Leavenworth for disability; returned to Illinois and went to Montana Territory, remaining six years; discovered what is now known as 'Kiernan's Fork of Bear Gulch.' a valuable mine; came home and located one mile west of Cross Creek and remained there eight years, then moved to his present farm. Was born in County Caven, Ireland, in 1838; when twelve years old came to America, first settled in New Jersey; remained four years, and moved to Lee County, Ill., was married in 1876 at St. Mary's, Kan., to Miss Catharine Crosby, a native of Maryland. They have three children - Michael J., Mary E., and Mathew J. Mr. Kiernan is a member of Hesperian Lodge No. 111, A. F. & A. M., and is identified with the Catholic Church and votes the Democratic ticket.
ELZEY E. KINSEY, farmer, P. O. Rossville; has 240 acres, fifty-five under cultivation. In 1882 had thirty-five acres of corn, ten acres of rye, four of oats; has fifteen head of cows and calves, two mules, two horses, seven milch cows, and made 390 pounds of butter from June, 1881, to August 1, 1882, which found a ready market in Rossville. Came to the state February 2, 1876, from Belmont County, Ohio; located first with his father at Silver Lake; removed to his present farm in 1877; was born in Belmont County, Ohio, February 9, 1850, and engaged in farming and railroading; was married in the fall of 1874, in Guernsey County, Ohio, to Miss Ada Harper, of that county. They have one child, Willie.
HENRY LIPP, farmer, P. O. Rossville; owns 120 acres, on Section 11, Township 11, Range 13, and 156 acres on Section 4, Township 10, Range 13, which he will use for pasture and hay land; has twenty head of cattle, six horses and colts; house 18x32, one story; barn 40x44, sixteen feet high, room for eight horses, twenty ton sic of hay, and granary will hold 600 bushels of corn and 1,000 bushels of wheat, 800 bushels oats; has ninety acres corn and sixteen acres wheat, five acres oats and five acres millet; has an orchard of eighteen apple trees, cherries, grapes and small fruits of all kinds; he came to this State in the spring of 1868, and bought his land and commenced improving it. There was at that time a very sparse settlement in Rossville Township. Mr. Lipp was born in South Germany, March 8, 1847, and in 1867 removed to Illinois.
HIRAM LYON, groceries, confectionery and lunch room, also agent for Singer Sewing Machines; came to Kansas March 22, 1878, locating in Ellsworth County, engaged in farming; came to Rossville in September, 1880, and has remained here ever since with the exception of six months in Topeka, when he worked in Santa Fe lumber yard; was born in Owen County, Ky., January 2, 1851; remained in native county until twenty-three years of age, farming with his father, when he went to Grant County, and remained three years. There met with misfortune, his house being burned with all its contents. Was married in November, 1873, in Grant County, Ky., to Miss Reida Thomas, a native of that county. They have two children, John F. and Mary E. Mr. Lyon is a Democrat.
ISAAC McCULLOUGH, farmer, four miles north of Rossville; owns eighty acres in Section 15, all improved and under fence; also owns about sixty acres in Section 10, Township 10, Range 3, across the creek; has twenty-five acres of corn, seventeen acres of wheat, six acres oats; house 14x16, story and a half, and two work horses. Came to Kansas in 1870, located at Tescumseh, remained three years and came to his present location; was born in Holmes County, Ohio, in September, 1845, moved to Allen County, Ind., in 1866, and remained until coming to Kansas; was married in 1870 at Fort Wayne, Ind., to Miss Elizabeth Petit. They have five children - Charles, Fred, Flora, Olive and Hudson; is a member of Cedar Bluffs United Brethren Church; has been Supervisor of Road District No. 52 and is a Democrat.
R. McCOLLOUGH, farmer, owns eighty acres, four miles north of Rossville, all under fence; seventy acres under cultivation; thirty acres in corn and twenty acres in wheat; came to Kansas March 25, 1878, from Fort Wayne, Ind.; was born in Holmes County, Ohio, December 18, 1851; resided there until nineteen years of age, then moved to Fort Wayne; was married February 7, 1878, at Fort Wayne, Ind., to Miss Jennie Pring, a native of that place; they have two children - Nora E. and Maggie E. Mr. McCollough is a Democrat.
DR. E. R. McINTYRE, homeopathic physician and surgeon, office on Main street, came to the State in 1870, locating at St. Clair, Pottawatomie County, where he remained a few months and in the fall of 1879 located in Soldier City, Jackson County, and remained until November 1, 1881. He was born in Wood County, W. Va., eighteen miles south of Parkersburg, June 22, 1851. He remained in his native county until nineteen years of age, coming direct to Kansas. He completed his literary education in the Homeopathic Hospital College, at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1879. Read medicine with Dr. M. B. Smyth of the firm of Smyth & Nunamaker, of Holton, Kan., for one year before attending college. Attended Hahnemann College, of Chicago, during the winter of 1882. He was married September 12, 1878, near Valley Falls, Jefferson Co., Kan., to Miss Della Boles, a native of Beaver Co., Pa. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Rossville, and has always acted with the Republican party.
C. C. McPHERSON, livery barn, west of Maxwell House, came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Big Springs, ten miles east of Topeka; engaged in farming for one and a half years, and came to Rossville and farmed until October, 1879, when he commenced livery business. He keeps three buggies and three spring wagons, nine head of horses, seven for livery purposes, and two for farming. He was born in Vincennes, Ind. March 23, 1857, and when an infant moved to Lawrence County, Ill. Remained there until eleven years of age, and came to Kansas with John Bush.
JAMES MASKILL, farmer, P. O. Rossville, leases of James Blanden sixty acres, under cultivation. Has fifty acres of corn and ten acres of oats; three head of horses. Came to the State in the fall of 1869, from Kankakee County, Ill. Was born in Connecticut, February 21, 1854, and moved to McHenry County, Ill. Remained there about ten years, and moved to Kankakee County and remained until coming to Kansas. Was married January 8, 1877, at St. Mary's, Kan., to Miss Ann O'Brien, a native of Wisconsin. They have one child living - Johnnie E. Edward, aged one year and nine months, died January 16, 1879. Is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church. Has always voted the Democratic ticket.
SAMUEL B. MAXWELL, proprietor of the Maxwell House, and foreman and head miller of the Rossville Milling Company. This mill has four run of buhrs, and a capacity of 100 barrels of flour in twenty-four hours. Engine is 13x24, and is forty-five horsepower. The main building is stone, 45x50, two stories and basement; now has two sets of rolls and the proprietors are contemplating additional improvements, consisting of bolting purifiers and will make it a "new process" mill. Mr. M. came to the State December 6, 1877, locating in Rossville, January 1, 1878, and has charge of the mill ever since, putting in nine months extra time and not losing a day. Came from Shelby County, Ohio, where he was born April 26, 1844. Moved to Logan County, October 29, 1879, and purchased the Logan Valley Mills. Also owned a mill at West Liberty, Ohio, at the same time. He operated both of these mills until 1875, when, owing to a partial failure in the wheat crop, was compelled to sell both mills, and removed back to Shelby County, and remained there until coming to Kansas. Was married September 4, 1862, to Miss Rebecca Fahnestolk, a native of Cumberland County, Pa., and as the result of said marriage five children - Jennie, now Mrs. C. W. Talmadge, of Rossville; William W., Cora E., Lulu E. and Irene J. Mr. Maxwell enlisted in 1864, under a call of Gov. Brough, in Company K, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Ohio National Guards, as Orderly Sergeant, and was ordered direct to Richmond. Participated in the bombardment of Petersburg and Richmond and saw 100 days of hard service. Was mustered out September 20, 1864, at Camp Chase, Ohio. Mr. Maxwell purchased the old hotel property of R. Wood, at Rossville, October 13, 1879. At that time it was a small building, very much run down and inferior in every respect. In 1880 he raised the building, putting a stone foundation under it, building an addition 26x30 feet, two stories with basement, making the entire size of the house 26x58, and more than doubling its capacity. The hotel now has twenty sleeping rooms, two parlors, office, dining room and kitchen. Mr. Maxwell has made improvements to the amount of $3,100, inside and out, $1,000 being for furniture, making the hotel first-class in every respect. In connection with the house is a first class livery barn, 24x44, with a capacity for twenty head of horses. In addition to these improvements, he has erected a wind-mill and force pump, fifty barrel tank, with eighty feet of hose, to be used in case of fire, and for other purposes; also an ice house twenty feet square. Mr. Maxwell owns the entire block on which this property is situated. Considering the fact that he came to the State without means, having lost all his property in Ohio, he has made a creditable record, and justly deserves to be classed with the enterprising and successful business men of Rossville. He has served a term in the Town Council, and was most active forwarding measures for the improvement of the town, and was urged to allow the use of his name for Mayor, but declined. Is a member of Rossville Lodge No. 75, A. O. U. W., and foreman of the lodge. Is a member of the Baptist Church and has always acted with the Republican party, taking quite an active part in politics.
DR. HENRY H. MILLER, M. D., physician and surgeon, Main street, came to Rossville, June 26, 1872, and has been in constant practice here since. Was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, May 4, 1850. He completed the course of study at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating March 12, 1872, and came direct to Rossville. Mr. (sic) Miller is a member and W. M. of Rossville Lodge No. 75, A. O. U. W. Is Past Master Workman and Examining Surgeon of that Order. He was married April 13, 1876, at Rossville, Kan., to Miss Ella M. Wyatt, a native of Greencastle, Ind. They have two children - Emma and Henry. Dr. Miller took a partial literary course at Mount Union College. Has always been identified with the Republican party.
J. W. MILLER, carpenter and cabinet-maker, also dealer in furniture and undertakers' goods came to Rossville in October, 1880, from Perry County, Pa. He was born in York County, Pa., July 14, 1841. Remained in that county until about thirteen years old, and removed to Franklin County; remained several years and moved to Perry County, where he learned his trade, and remained until coming to Kansas. He enlisted September 15, 1862, in Company K, Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, as a private. Was in the western army and was with his command at Nashville, Stone River, Chattanooga, Atlanta and Chickamauga. Was in Thomas' raid against Hood, and captured many stores. Was promoted to Sergeant March 15, 1865. Was mustered out July 21, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn. Returned to Perry County, Pa., where he carried on the furniture and undertaking business. He was married December 25, 1866, at Landisburg, Pa., to Miss Elizabeth Gray, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Charles, George, Harry and Grace. Mr. Miller is a member of Ohio Lodge, No. 132, I. O. O. F., Silver Lake. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics, a Republican.
CHARLES MOWERS, brickmaker, yards adjoining town on the east, came to Kansas in 1865, first locating in Johnson County near Shawneetown. Has been in the brick business ever since coming to Kansas. Remained in Johnson County nearly three years, manufacturing nearly 3,000,000, all sold in the county. Went from there to Davis County, and made 500,000 brick. Went to Phillips County and remained there until coming to Rossville, manufacturing 800,000 there. Has also contracted for the erection of buildings as follows: Seminary and four stories sic in Kansas City, church, and school buildings, and two stories sic in Wyandotte, bank and store at Kirwin. Came to Kansas from Burlington, Iowa, where he lived for fourteen years, engaged in brick-making. He was born in West Union, Adams Co., Ohio, October 10, 1837, and remained in his native county until about twelve years of age, and removed to Burlington. Commenced his trade at ten years of age, and commenced for himself when eighteen. Was one year at Milwaukee completing his trade. He was married April 26, 1859, at Rushville, Ill., to Miss Susan J. Bicknell. They have five children living - Franklyn, Rosetta, Mary, Lillian, and Essie. Has the contract for building the Presbyterian Church and burns about 400,000 brick at Rossville. Keeps five men employed. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a Republican.
MICHAEL O'HALARON, farmer. Forty-eight acres of corn, one mile east of Rossville. Owns two horses and a mule. Came to Kansas in February, 1880, from Ottawa, Ill. Was born September 29, 1854, and resided there engaged in farming until coming to Kansas. Worked in Moline (Ill.) Plow Shops in 1875. His father died in 1868. His mother owns seventy-six acres on Section 1, Township 11, Range 13. Is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
SAMUEL OLDFIELD, farmer, P. O. Rossville, 160 acres Section 26. Has seventy acres in cultivation. Has 100 acres of corn, forty-five acres of millet. House story and a half frame, 25x30, four rooms. Frame barn, 16x28. Came to Kansas in May, 1878. Brought his family in March, 1880, from Rock Island, Ill. Was born in Derbyshire, England, May 14, 1839. Remained there until March 31, 1871. Was engaged in a variety of occupations, mining and farming mostly. When he came to America, first worked in Bureau County, Ill. at farming, then went to Rock Island County, and remained until coming to Kansas. Worked for C. R. I. & P. R. R. eight months. Was married June 4, 1863, at Stony Middleton, Derbyshire, England, to Miss Emilie Goddard, of that place, by Rev. Ervin Smith. They have five children living - Mary A., William, John, Fanny and Thomas, three born in America and two in England. Joseph and Sarah died in England. Mr. O. is doorkeeper of Rossville Lodge, No. 75, A. O. U. W.
S. J. OLIVER, farmer, P. O. Rossville, owns northwest quarter of Section 27, one mile north of Rossville, all under cultivation. Has in 1882, sixty acres of corn, twenty-two of wheat, twenty rye, ten millet, six oats. Runs two teams. He has eighty head of cattle and twenty of hogs. He was born in Washington County, Pa., January 6, 1828. He was married in Greene County, Pa., in September, 1850, to Miss Elizabeth Hoge, a native of that county. They have had twelve children, ten living - Samuel A., at Twin Lake, Col.; Phoebe J., now Mrs. Kekley, of Twin Lake, Col.; Mary A., George B., McClelland and Thomas J., twins; Harriet A., a teacher; S. J., Jr.; Alice, Ida May and Ella Lee, twins. Mr. Oliver was School Director in Pennsylvania twelve years. Was Justice of the Peace and Road Overseer at same time. Was master of Waynesburg (Pa.) Grange for about three years. He is a Democrat.
JAMES S. OLMSTEAD, manufacturer of boots and shoes, also keeps a restaurant; came to Kansas in 1868, locating at Topeka. Remained there until 1881, with the exception of four years, when he came to Rossville. He was born in New Brunswick, February 9, 1832. Learned his trade when fifteen years of age. Worked in Presque Ile., Me., during the war. Was married August 28, 1880, at Topeka, to Miss Lizzie Murphy, who had one child, Eva. They have one child - Lula. Was an Orangeman and member of the Sons of Temperance at New Brunswick. Is a member of Ancient Order of Templars, North Topeka Lodge. Was a Liberal in New Brunswick, but now works with the Republican party. He has worked in Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska and attends the Baptist Church.
EDWARD E. PARTELAN, farmer, one mile north of Rossville, owns 160 acres the northeast quarter of Section 27; all under fence, 30 acres under cultivation. In 1882, his acreage was: fifty acres of corn; twenty-seven acres of wheat, yielding 514 bushels, eight and one-half acres of oats, 530 bushels; four of rye, 100 bushels; twelve acres of millet. Has three cows, five head of horses and mules. House 16x30; main part two stories, addition 14x16, six rooms, in all six rooms. Came to Kansas first in 1855, on his way to Colorado and Mexico. Has resided in the State since January 1, 1862. First bought a farm in Brown County. Lived there about three years. Moved to Pottawatomie County, near Americus, and remained about two and a half years, and moved into Shawnee County, on Cross Creek, about five miles north of Rossville, and has since owned several farms on the bottom. Bought his present farm in 1879. Was born in Newport, Ky., September 27, 1830. Removed to Eaton County, Mich. when quite young. Remained there about four years. Left home when sixteen years of age. Went to Illinois, Iowa and Missouri and crossed the Plains. Worked in Government service for several years. Was first driver on mail coach, and afterwards conductor. Was captured by the Mormons in December, 1866, and held a prisoner until April, 1867, and was finally released when Government troops were sent to Utah. Freighted for seven years from Omaha, Kansas City and Nebraska City. Made thirteen trips from Independence, Mo., to Salt Lake City. Commenced on his own account in the winter of 1866 from Atchison to Denver. In the summer of 1866 was attacked by Indians near Julesburg, Col., and was shot with an arrow, which he preserved for many years. Was in Denver before it had a name and consisted of a log hut occupied by an Indian trader. Took a Government train through to New Mexico, during the war, and had offers of fabulous sums of money to deliver the train to Texas Rangers. Has been in all the Western states and Territories. Was in Kansas City when it was a grove of cottonwood and a mere steamboat landing, tributary to Westport, Mo. Made a trip to the Black Hills in 1878. Was in Kansas during the border troubles and was well acquainted with old John Brown and Jim Lane. Was married January 1, 1861 in Warren County, Iowa, to Miss Elizabeth Wyatt. They have four children living - George, Ida May, Perry A. and Ellen Gertrude. Is a member of Hartford Lodge, I. O. O. F. Warren County, Iowa. While living in Brown County, Kan., "jayhawkers' came into his house and robbed him of about $700 in money and personal effects of value. His wife's father was in the Fifteenth Iowa Volunteers and was wounded at Pittsburg Landing, and died in the hospital at Keokuk. Mrs. P. is a member of the Baptist Church.
PAUL PATELL, carpenter, Rossville, came to Kansas in 1870, and first located at Topeka. He was born in Kansas City, Mo., September 21, 1833, where he remained until 1852. Then he started for California across the Territories of Kansas, Colorado and Utah. They had trouble with the Indians near Salt Lake and went through Nevada to Sacramento, Cal. Remained there about three years and went to the West Indies as a sailor on a merchant vessel. Worked as ship carpenter in the South. He was married in 1870, in Louisiana, to Miss Elizabeth Lasha, and came to Topeka in the same year. His wife and child died at Topeka in 1871, and he was married in the following year to Mrs. Josett Leframboy, a native of Chicago.
JOSEPH PERRY, P. O. Rossville, proprietor of Cedar Bluff Mills on Cross Creek, three miles north of Rossville. Began to build the mill in 1869, and commenced running in February, 1870. Commenced running saw mill in 1875, and ran it three years. Size of mill 18x50. Stone foundation, framed to the bottom; water front fifty feet; three floors; four stories on water front. Has two runs of buhrs. Uses one of Bodine's thirty-five-inch turbine wheels. Head, twelve feet; dam; seventy-five feet span; height, nine feet; capacity of mill, twenty bushels an hour. Grinds both corn and wheat. Sells most of his flour at home, and on the Pottawatomie Reserve. Original cost of mill property over $6,000. Had a washout on the dam in 1874, losing $1,000. Had a washout in forebay in 1878, losing about $300. Is enabled to run the year round in ordinary seasons. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, locating in Linn County, remaining two years and moved to Jackson County. Remained there until coming to Shawnee County, in the spring of 1869, and owns ten acres of land. Was born in Grayson County, Va., and when quite young moved to Henry County, Ind. Remained there a year or two and moved to Wabash County, where he remained about twelve years. Moved to Pulaski County and remained about four years, and removed to Adair County, Mo., where he remained until coming to Kansas. Learned to saw lumber in Missouri and run an engine and learned milling since coming to Kansas. Was farming and railroading in Indiana mostly. Worked on the New Albany & Salem Railroad about three years. Was married in March, 1862, near Holton, Jackson Co., Kan., to Miss M. J. Hass, a native of Ohio. Their children are: Martha Ellen, Martin R., George H., Elizabeth V., Anna, Frank and Commodore (Jos. L. died in 1876.) Is a member of the Independent party.