|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (TAFT - THRAPP).
EDWIN A. TAFT was born in Uxbridge, Worcester Co., Mass., February 27, 1824. He lived in his native town and vicinity until 1845, when he removed to Providence, R. I., where he commenced his mercantile career, in the dry goods jobbing house of Cragin & Hartwell, continuing with this house until 1851, at which time he removed to Boston, Mass., and was for several years salesman in the well- known wholesale dry goods house of Sweetser, Gookin & Co., returning to Providence in 1858. In the spring of 1860 he established a new dry goods jobbing house there, under the firm name of Taft, Steere & Co., for a term of three years, at the expiration of which term he sold his interest in the business to his partners, and, in 1865, took an interest in the manufacturing of cotton goods with the Putnam Manufacturing Company, of Putnam, Conn., continuing this connection until 1878, in which year he visited Kansas, and decided to make the city of Topeka his future home. Here, on the 1st of April, 1880, he opened a new dry goods store, under the firm name of Taft, Emery & Co. He was married June 26, 1873, to Adaline S. Emery, of of Hunterdon County, N. J. They have one child, Mary Emery. Mr. Taft is a member of the Episcopal Church, and of the Masonic Fraternity.
CHARLES N. TAYLOR, grocer, corner Crane and Jefferson streets, came to Kansas, first in May, 1846. Was born June 14, 1830, at Elyria, Lorain Co., Ohio. Remained in native place five years, and removed with his parents to Rockford, Ill. Enlisted in the United States Army, Company H, First Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, Capt. James Hampton, Lieut. John A. Logan, February 14, 1846. Was engaged in fighting Indians in New Mexico, and stationed at Las Vegas and Santa Fe. Returned to Fort Leavenworth, and was mustered out December 28, 1848. In November of same year joined an expedition to Salt Lake, and for sixteen years following was in every department of the Government service. Enlisted in the War of the Rebellion, Company B, Third Indiana Volunteers, May 2, 1861. At the end of seven months was discharged for wounds received at Ball's Bluff, Va. Enlisted again in Company H, Sixth Michigan Cavalry, Capt. H. L. Wise, commanding, September 15, 1862. Was mustered out December 25, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. Returned to Michigan and went into mercantile business, which he continued successfully until 1871, when he sold out and came to Kansas. Was married January 1, 1852, at Grand Rapids, Mich., to Martha J. Snyder. Had two children, Frank, now Master-at-arms of the U. S. steamer Lackawanna; William H, now engineer on the C., B. & Q. R. R. First wife died June 17, 1864, at Chicago, Ill. Was married again, August 30, 1879, at Maple Hill, Kan., to Sarah J. Shultz. Is a member of G. A. R. of Topeka.
IRWIN TAYLOR, of the firm of Davis & Taylor, is a native of Marysville, Mason Co., Ky., where he was born June 11, 1845. When quite young he removed to Campbell County, and afterwards spent ten years in Bourbon County, Ky., prior to coming to Kansas. He was educated at Cincinnati High School, Business College and Law College; graduated from the latter institution, and was admitted to the bar in Cincinnati. He commenced practice in Newport, Campbell County, and remained in that place until 1872; then removed to Paris, Bourbon Co., Ky., from whence he emigrated to Topeka in December, 1881. He was married at Paris, Ky., June 11, 1872, to Miss Lizzie H. Hall, only daughter and child of James Hall, an extensive cattle dealer of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have six children - Huston, Joseph Irwin, Mary Belle, Hall, Elizabeth Caldwell and Lucy. Mr. Irwin Taylor traces his ancestry back six generations to Edwin Taylor who came from England in 1692, and settled at Middletown, Monmouth Co., N. J. Joseph Taylor, the father of Irwin, was born in 1806; his grandfather, Joseph, was born September 27, 1770, and was married to Jane Irwin, August 8, 1797; his great-grandfather, William Taylor, married Lucy Embly, 1766; the next generation back was Edward Taylor, second son of the Edward Taylor that emigrated from England. His wife was Catherine Monford.
DR. ERASTUS TEFFT (deceased), was born at Lebanon, Madison Co., N. Y., December 27, 1818. In 1834 he removed to Elgin, Kane Co., Ill. He afterwards became a private medical student of Dr. Valentine Mott, of New York, attended his first course of medical lectures at the University of New York in 1842-43, and a course at Rush Medical College in 1844-45. He graduated at the University of New York in 1847, and continued his studies and practice with his brother, Dr. Joseph Tefft, of Elgin, until the spring of 1859 and thence came to Topeka, removing his family in July, and remaining in practice in the city until December, 1879. June 7, 1840, he was married to Rhoda Kenyon, a native of New Berlin, N. Y. She died January 26, 1879. In the spring of 1859 he bought the lot upon which the Tefft House was afterwards erected, and built a residence upon it in the fall of the same year. The hotel was built in 1865, Harris & Beasly, from Champaign, Ill., being the first proprietors. Dr. Tefft was Post Surgeon of the army at Topeka, and Assistant Surgeon of the militia. He was also Coroner of Shawnee County several years. Besides the hotel Mr. (sic) Tefft built several dwellings in the city. He was a prominent member and trustee of the Congregational Church. He died January 8, 1880. In the words of the report of the State Medical Society of Kansas, "as a physician he was conscientiously scrupulous of its honor, and as a citizen, enterprising, and public-spirited."
FRED ERASTUS TEFFT, son of Erastus and Rhoda (Kenyon) Tefft, was born in Topeka, June 21, 1861. He took his first course of medical studies at Rush Medical College, and graduated from Stark Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio, February, 1881. He is associated in practice with his brother, Herbert K.
HON. TIMOTHY DWIGHT THACHER is of English descent; his ancestors, if not illustrious, were of one of the leading families that shed lustre on the early days of the republic, and helped with the Otises and Adamses to lay the foundations of the great Republican structure. The Thacher family is one of the oldest in New England. Rev. Thomas Thacher, son of Rev. Peter Thacher, of Salisbury, England, came to Boston, June 4, 1635, only fifteen years after the first arrival of the Plymoth (sic) colonists. He was eminent in all departments of learning, and ranked among the leading physicians and theologians of his time. He was the author of the first medical work published in New England. He also published one of the early Hebrew lexicons and grammars for the use of Harvard University. From February 16, 1669, to the time of his death, he was pastor of the "Old South Church," in Boston. A century later his great grandson, Rev. Oxenbridge Thacher, associated with the patriot, James Otis, was engaged in the discussion, through the press, of the abuses of power evinced in the government of the colonies. Drake--unquestioned authority--states that the controversy, respecting writs of assistance, inaugurated and defended by these men, 'was nothing more or less than the cause of independence.' Rev. Peter Thacher, brother of Oxenbrige, at that time pastor of the Brattle Street Church, was a no less pronounced rebel against the oppression of the British crown. He delivered an oration before the colonial troops at Watertown, Mass., March 5, 1776, which was published and printed in several successive editions. In it for the first time the grievances of the colonies against the English Government were enumerated in words and order so like of the Declaration of Independence, which was penned by Jefferson, and promulgated on the succeeding July 4, as to seem a paraphrase of that immortal manifesto. Timothy Dwight Thacher is of the seventh generation in direct descent from Rev. Peter Thacher, the patriot pastor of Brattle Street Church, Boston, in 1776. He was the second child and oldest son of Mowry and Melinda (Livermore) Thacher. His father was an intelligent farmer of Hornellsville, N. Y., where the subject of this sketch was born October 31, 1831. He was bred on the farm, enjoying the educational advantages afforded by the public schools, which at the age of fifteen were supplemented by a single term at the Franklin Academy, Prattsburgh, N. Y. where he acquired a fair knowledge of Latin. and imbibed classical tastes that subsequently impelled him to further study. From fifteen to nineteen he worked on the farm of his father, and in the lumbering region of western New York. At the age of twenty he determined to acquire a thorough education. He accordingly entered the Alfred Academy, where he fitted for a collegiate course. Having completed thoroughly the full course of preparatory study prescribed, he entered the junior class of Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., in 1854, from which he graduated with honors, in the class of 1856. During the subsequent winter, 1856-57, he returned to Union College and began special studies in the super-graduate (sic) course under Dr. Hickok and Dr. Taylor Lewis. At that time two old academy class-mates who had already settled at Lawrence, Kan., Lyman and Norman Allen, invited him to join them and take editorial charge of the Lawrence Republican, a Free-state journal, which they were about to start. After consultation with friends and in accordance with the advice of Dr. Nott, he accepted the invitation and thus entered the profession of a journalist, contrary to the undefined professional aspirations that had hitherto urged him on in his educational labors. He arrived in Lawrence, Kan., in April, 1857. The young man did not come unheralded or unknown to his chosen field of work. He bore with him letters of commendation from his old teachers, Drs. Nott, and Hickok and Horace Greeley, then in the flush of his wonderful journalistic career. They were all unneeded, as he depended neither on his line of ancestry, nor his friendly credentials for his start in life. Confidently looking only to honest merit, backed by earnest endeavor to do the right, he began his work as an editor with the first issue of the Lawrence Republican, May 28, 1857. His editorial conduct of the new Free-state journal was such as to place it at once at the head of the Free-state press of the Territory and insure its success as a business undertaking. The paper was started under the proprietorship of Norman Allen. He sold out in the summer of 1858, to T. D. Thacher, and his cousin, S. O. Thacher and his brother, S. M. Thacher. Thus Mr. Thacher became part owner of the paper. He continued in editorial charge through various changes of proprietorship until December 27, 1860, at which time Mr. John Speer bought the paper, and for a few months Mr. Thacher was disconnected with it. September 4, 1862, he bought the paper back and continued its publication in connection with his brother, S. M. Thacher, until it was destroyed in the Quantrell raid, August 21, 1863. April 15, 1863, Mr. Thacher purchased the Journal of Commerce, published in Kansas City, and himself removed to that city, leaving the personal conduct of the Republican for the few months succeeding until its destruction in August, with his partner S. M. Thacher. He continued the publication of the Journal of Commerce until April, 1865, at which time he sold it to Messrs. Van Horn & Hallowell, and, in the following September, removed to Philadelphia, and became connected with the Evening Telegraph, as chief editorial writer, which position he held for over two years. In January, 1868, he returned to Lawrence, and on February 1, re-established the Republican. March 4, 1869, the paper was consolidated with the State Journal and the Ottawa Home Journal, and afterwards published as the Daily Republican Journal and the Western Home Journal (weekly). Two years later Mr. Thacher became sole proprietor of the paper. Since 1877 the paper thus established has been known as the Lawrence Journal, and has continued under his management up to the present time, 1882. During his long connection with Kansas journalism he has evinced rare ability, and now deservedly ranks among the ablest journalists of the West. His early espousal and vigorous and fearless advocacy of Free-state doctrines brought him into political prominence almost as soon as he arrived in the Territory. He engaged actively in the in the exciting work of making Kansas a free State, in no-wise confining to the columns of his paper. He wrought to the full measure of his powers to strengthen the Free-state party; spoke often and eloquently for the cause, and was one of the most industrious and efficient organizers of those troublous days. His political career has been patriotically consistent from the beginning and his record in the Republican party, which he helped to organize, and of which he is still an honored and trusted member, has been singularly free from the taints and blemishes incidental to an active participation in political affairs through a period which has "tried and found wanting" not a few who were his co-laborers in the same political field twenty years ago. On December 2, 1857, a convention was held at Lawrence to protest against the Lecompton Constitution. It was at that time the most important gathering of Free-state men ever held in the Territory. Charles Robinson was the president of the convention and Gen. James H. Lane, chairman of the committee on resolutions. The resolutions presented were drawn by Mr. Thacher, who was a member of the committee, and William A. Phillips, the well-known correspondent of the New York Tribune. They are quoted fully in the historical part of this work. The protest, as embodied in the resolutions, created a profound sensation throughout the North and did much in moulding opinion and ultimately defeating the abomination. The convention was re-assembled December 23 to decide whether the members of the Free-state party would participate in the coming election for State officers under the provisions of the Lecompton Constitution. Mr. Thacher sturdily opposed those who favored such a course, and in a most exciting debate of two days, being the acknowledged leader of the anti-voting party, succeeded in defeating the proposition. A contemporary who was present thus writes: "Without intention of his own, Mr. Thacher found himself the virtual leader of those who opposed the plans of participating in the election. His speeches during this high debate are still recalled by all Kansans, irrespective of the sides they took upon the question at issue, as among the highest efforts of argumentative eloquence. Notwithstanding Gov. Robinson and most of the older leaders of the Free-state party favored the policy of voting, the convention decided against it, and adhered to its original position." Prior to his work in the two conventions above mentioned, he had spoken during the summer months at the various conventions called to organize the Free-state party, and to the same end had, during the month of June that year made a speech, making a tour through the counties of Douglas, Coffey, Franklin, Allen and Anderson. Thus he became widely known as an able and fearless Free-state champion during the first six months of his residence in the Territory. He was one of the delegates from Lawrence to the Constitutional Convention held at Leavenworth, from March 25 to April 3, 1858, where he retained his radical views successfully against an earnest opposition, and with others prevented the word "white" from appearing in the Constitution in connection with the rights of citizenship. In January, 1859, Mr. Thacher was elected Territorial Printer by the Legislature. The Governor refusing to recognize the authority of that body the office proved an empty honor. Mr. Thacher was a delegate to the convention held at Osawatomie, May 18, 1859, at which the Republican party was formally organized in Kansas. The convention was called to order by him and its object briefly stated. He also served as one of the secretaries, and as a member of the committee on resolutions, wrote some of the most radical parts of the platform adopted. He was also a member of the Republican State Convention held at Topeka for the nomination of State officers under the Wyandotte Constitution, and made the speech nominating Charles Robinson as Governor. He was also nominated as one of the Republican Presidential electors for 1860; the State not being admitted prior to the election, he consequently did not serve. He, however, did good service during the campaign which resulted in the first national Republican triumph, speaking during the autumn in the States of Michigan and New York. Mr. Thacher was chosen secretary of the State Republican Committee in May, 1861, and was chairman of the committee on credentials in the State convention of that year. At the Republican State Convention held September 17, 1862 he was strongly urged by many friends, without solicitations from him, as a Congressional candidate, and his name was presented, receiving fifteen votes on the sixth ballot. From 1863 to 1868 Mr. Thacher was not a resident of Kansas. Since his return he has been a prominent and hardworking member of the Republican party as in the years before. In 1874 he was a delegate to the Republican State Convention, and was chosen its president. During the fall of that year he made a thorough personal canvass of Douglas County, and restored it to the Republican ranks, from which it had been detached the year before by the so-called "Reform" movement. He was elected the same fall as a member of the Kansas House of Representatives from the Fifty-second Representative District, serving in that body as chairman of the committee on education. In 1876 Mr. Thacher was elected by the Republican State Convention as delegate-at-large to the Republican National Convention held at Cincinnati. He, with the entire Kansas delegation, voted from first to last for the nomination of Hon. James G. Blaine, and further participated in the proceedings of the convention, speaking with telling effect in favor of allowing delegates to vote irrespective of instructions. In 1860 Mr. Thacher was admitted to the bar, but he never entered upon the practice of the legal profession. In 1880 Mr. Thacher was appointed Supervisor of the United States census for the first district of Kansas, performing the duties of that office in a satisfactory manner. In January, 1881 Mr. Thacher was elected to the post of State Printer for a term of two years, beginning July 1, 1881, which office he now holds. He is now president of the State Historical Society, and one of the regents of the State University. Mr. Thacher has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Catherine Faulkner Angell, daughter of Mr. Jesse Angell, a prominent merchant of Livingstone, Allegany counties, N. Y. They were married in Danville, N. Y., September 9, 1857. She died in Lawrence, January 22, 1858. His second wife was Miss Emma Elizabeth Hellman, daughter of Mr. William Hellman of Philadelphia. They were married at Philadelphia, May 18, 1861. They have had eight children, viz.: William Mowry, now business manager of the Lawrence Journal, born in Lawrence, March 24, 1863; Eugene, born November 24, 1864, died in Kansas City, July 12, 1865; Horace Hellman, born February 11, 1866, died in Philadelphia, August 13, 1866; Timothy Dwight, Jr., born April 22, 1867, died in Lawrence, February 10, 1881; Kate Angell, born August 16, 1869; Clara, born April 17, 1871; Edith, born September 2, 1877, and Solon Otis, born September 25, 1881. As a matter of genealogical history, we give Mr. Thacher's line as far as we have it. 1st, Rev. Peter Thacher, of Salisbury, England, 1595; 2d, Rev. Thomas Thacher, of Boston, Mass., 1620; 3d, Rev. Peter Thacher, of Milton, Mass., 1651; 4th, Rev. Peter Thacher, of Middleboro, Mass., 1688; 5th, Samuel Thacher, of Middleboro, Mass., 1717; 6th, Nathaniel Thacher, of Middleboro, 1767; 7th, Mowry Thacher, of Gloucester, R. I., 1802; 8th, Timothy Dwight Thacher, Hornellsville, N. Y., 1831.
CHESTER THOMAS, JR., farmer, Section 28, Town 11, Range 16, P. O. Topeka, owns 155 acres, all improved, with a fine dwelling and surroundings, a fine barn and all modern conveniences for successful farming. Makes a specialty of growing corn and wheat and stock feeding. Present wheat crops average thirty-seven and one half bushels to the acre. Came to Kansas in October 1858; first located at Williamsport Township, and came to his present farm in September, 1876. Has been Sherrif of Shawnee County two terms; also Treasurer two terms; also acting Adjutant-General of State under Gov. Osborn. Was appointed by the President Captain and Assistant Commissary in the fall of 1862, and was on duty in Denver, Col., and at Washington, D. C., in 1865. He was born in the State of Pennsylvania, in April, 1837, and went to Minnesota in 1857, and remained there until he came to Kansas. He was married September 26, 1866, to Miss Lorena M. Lindley. They have one child - Lorena Lou. He is a Master Mason.
CHESTER THOMAS, SR., was born July 18, 1810, in Troy, Bradford Co., Pa. He came from an old Vermont family of Revolutionary fame. His school advantages were limited, though he was taught the rudiments of an English education by his mother, an intelligent, warm-hearted Christian woman. Study and observation, however, added largely to this meager stock, and he became a man of intelligence. He held various public offices in Pennsylvania, during a period of twenty-five years, but was always interested in farming, and dealt largely in stock, operating as a drover. In April, 1858, he moved to Kansas, settling on a farm in Shawnee County. In 1859 he was elected to the Territorial Council from the counties of Shawnee, Osage, and Lyon. In 1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln to be United States special mail agent for Kansas and the Western territories, embracing Nebraska, Dakota, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico. In 1862 he was appointed Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, which position he held for two years, when he resigned on account of ill health. In 1864 he was chosen a Presidential elector, voting for Abraham Lincoln. He was the associate and active friend of Hon. David Wilmot, author of the celebrated Wilmot Proviso, with whom he cooperated for over twenty years. During this period he was prominently connected with the political affairs of the State, and was intrusted (sic) by Wilmot and his associates with responsible positions in Philadelphia and other portions of the State, and was regarded as one of the ablest political managers of those stirring times. He was devoted to the anti- slavery cause, and in Kansas took sides with the Republicans and James H. Lane. Few men in the State did more to promote the Free-state cause. In the fall of 1861 the question of locating the State Capital was submitted to the people and decided in favor of Topeka. It is not too much to say that Mr. Thomas' persistent efforts in behalf of Topeka, secured the vote in its favor. He was the leading spirit in the canvass, and his influence and activity were absolutely necessary to secure the successful issue. He has been three times married. His first wife, Miss Thankful Sophia Stevens, of Troy, Pa., was a woman of eminently excellent traits of character. They were married February 7, 1833, and she died September 21, 1855. They had nine children, three of whom are dead. He was married to his second wife, Miss Lydia L. Stevens, October 9, 1856. She was an amiable and heroic woman, passed through many thrilling scenes Kansas, and was the only woman who escaped from the terrible massacre of Gen. Blunt's body guard at Baxter Springs, and rode sixty miles on horseback during the night, reaching Fort Scott safely. She died December 2, 1864, leaving two children. He married his third wife, Miss Mary E. McComb, July 7, 1872. She is a prominent member of the Episcopal Church, and a devoted Christian woman. They have had two children, one of whom is deceased. His is now serving his second term as Police Judge of the city of Topeka.
HERBERT KENYON TEFFT, M. D., son of Erastus and Rhoda Tefft, was born at Elgin, Kane Co., Ill., September 8, 1848. Removed to Topeka, Shawnee Co., Kan., July, 1859. During the war of the Rebellion served in the Kansas State Militia. He attended Rush Medical College during the fall and winter of 1869 and 1870. Was a private student of Dr. Austin Flint, Sr., and attended Bellevue Hospital Medical College in the year 1872, and graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College March 1, 1873, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Topeka, Kan., where he married December 22, 1874, his present wife, Emma A. Alkire, she was born in Circleville, Ohio, December 11, 1855. She removed to Topeka, Kan., in the year 1866. Their two children are - Lillie Agnes, born December 30, 1875, and Lois Ora, born February 11, 1879. Dr. Tefft is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society.
FRANK S. THOMAS was born in Canton, Bradford Co., Pa., October 22, 1859. His parents removed to Kansas the same year, and settled on a farm near Topeka, his father Chester Thomas being one of the early settlers of the town. Frank S. was educated in the public schools of Topeka, and at an early age began to assist his father, who was a Government beef contractor, in his business, going to Texas at the age of twelve to herd cattle. When he was sixteen he went into the office of George R. Peck, United States District Attorney, where he remained five months, engaged in writing testimony in the Lapham case, and subsequently went to Wilkesbarre, Pa., and learned the drug business, remaining three years. In February, 1879, he returned to Topeka and served as Deputy County Treasurer in the office of his brother, Chester, Jr. He is now Deputy County Clerk, and is also engaged in real estate, loan and insurance business.
JONATHAN THOMAS, banker and lumber merchant, North Topeka, is a native of Bucks County, Pa. In 1869 he removed to Homer, Champaign Co., Ill., and was there engaged in the lumber business until he came to Kansas. In January, 1870, he commenced lumber business at Topeka in company with R. Thomas, his brother and in the following year they permanently located at that place. The lumber business was discontinued in 1872, and they engaged in stock dealing and banking until 1874, when R. Thomas returned to Illinois, Jonathan remaining and continuing in business as a banker, and also, subsequent to 1878, as a lumber merchant. Since July, 1873, he has been connected with the Citizens' Bank, the only banking establishment in North Topeka. He has now a very extensive lumber business, having yards at North Topeka, Meriden, Silver Lake and St. Mary's. Mr. Hathaway of St. Mary's, Kan., is interested with him in the St. Mary's yard, the firm being Thomas & Hathaway at St. Mary's, Mr. Hathaway being interested only in the yards at St. Mary's. St various yards they do a business of $150,000 per annum all retail. Mr. Thomas is giving his personal attention to both the lumbering and banking business.
DR. A. H. THOMPSON was born in Logansport, Ind., April 8, 1849, and reared from the age of three years in Juniata, Perry Co., Pa. He acquired his early education in the schools and academies near his home, and his professional education in Philadelphia, graduating from the Philadelphia Dental College. He is now engaged in practice at Topeka, and is a member of both the Kansas and Missouri State Dental Societies, also of the Kansas State Historical Society and Kansas Academy of Science. Dr. Thompson was married in Topeka, December 9, 1875, to Fannie Geiger, a native of Martin's Ferry, Ohio. They have one child - Isabella.
W. A. L. THOMPSON, hardware merchant, was born near Harrisburg, Pa., April 18, 1848. In 1866 he removed to Philadelphia and resided in that city until he came to Kansas in May, 1869. After remaining in Topeka about nine months, he went to Park City, where he resided a year and thence moved to Hutchinson, where he carried on mercantile business eighteen months, and then returned to Topeka. For the succeeding three years he was engaged in cattle raising and dealing, and for the next two with Mr. Funk, in gents' furnishing goods. In August, 1876, he embarked in hardware business, which he still successfully carries on, now giving employment to thirty hands in the various departments. The business is wholesale and retail, and has increased 200 hundred per cent in the last six years. Mr. Thompson was married at Topeka, January 7, 1876, to Ida S., daughter of Jacob Smith, a native of Indiana. They have one child - Helen.
JOSEPH F. THRAPP, of the firm of Watson & Thrapp, real estate and loan agents, came to Kansas October 28, 1869, and after living at Alma, Wabausee County, for about six months, removed to Emporia and reamined in that city about six months. He then removed to Winfield and stayed two years, from whence he returned to Alma, and engaged in farming, remaining there until he came to Topeka, in November, 1878. After locating in Topeka he engaged in the mail and stage business, running the alma and Dover stage seven months, at the expiration of which time he went into real estate business with Mr. Watson. He was born in Danville, Ill., November 28, 1849, where he lived until 1866, and subsequently in Ford and Champaign counties, Ill., until he came to Kansas. He was married at Alma, Kan., June 28, 1874, to Nannie Bowman, a native of Thornton, Boone Co., Ind. They have two children - Margaret C. and Daniel B.