|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (TILLOTSON - VROOMAN).
PFO. D. C. TILLOTSON, Superintendent of the City Schools of Topeka, was born in Steuben Township, Warren Co., Ind., March 11, 1852. He was educated in the schools of his native State and of Kansas, besides being also for a time under the instruction of a private tutor. In 1866 he came to Oskaloosa, Jefferson Co., Kan. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching in that county, and since that time teaching has been his profession. In the fall of 1879 he came to Topeka to take charge of the Quincy School, North Topeka, of which he was principal until he was elected Superintendent of the City Schools in May, 1881. Prior to coming to Topeka he had charge of the schools at Winchester, Jefferson Co., Kan.
CHARLES E. TILLSON, dealer in meat, of the firm of Tillson & Hammond, 33 Kansas avenue. Born in Sidney, Me. He came to Kansas in November, 1881. His father, Jason Tillson, died many years since. He has two brothers and one sister still living in his native State. The present partnership of Tillson & Hammond was formed in December, 1882.
S. TILSON, farmer, two and one half miles south of Topeka, farms 320 acres. Came to Kansas in April, 1880. First came to the State in 1870, and remained one summer at Minneola, Franklin County; engaged in farming. Enlisted in October, 1864, at Honesdale, Pa., Company A, Fifty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers. Was with his command at the siege of Petersburg. Was mustered out August, 1865, at Alexandria, Va. Was born at Neversink, Sullivan Co., N. Y., December 8, 1844, and remained there continuously until coming to Kansas; engaged in farming. Was married December 9, 1872, at Grahamsville, Sullivan Co., N. Y., to Miss Celia M. Benton, and has one child - Ellen J. Is a member of the Mutual Aid Society of Iowa.
A. K. TIPTON, dairyman, two and one-half miles south of Topeka, came to Kansas November 26, 1869, from Columbus, Ohio, and located at Topeka; remained one year and then removed to the farm where he now is. Was born February 8, 1850, and was engaged in butchering business with his father during his boyhood. Mr. T. also learned the plane-making trade.
W. P. TOMLINSON was born in Lower Makefield, Bucks Co., Pa., November 15, 1836. His only opportunities for receiving an education when young were in the common schools of his native county, which opportunities were advantageously enjoyed. When eighteen years old he found his way to New York City and entered the field of journalism. In the fall of 1857 he was sent to Kansas as a correspondent of the New York Tribune, and sent to that paper graphic descriptions of of the early troubles of the State. In December, 1858, he returned to New York, where he published a book on Kansas in 1858, and the difficulties experienced by her people during the border ruffianism. In January, 1859, he sailed from New York for Europe in the capacity of a correspondent for the New York Evening Post, landing at Gilbralter, from which point he traveled on foot through Spain to the southern frontier of France, and in due time reached Paris, in which city he remained several weeks, when he crossed the channel to England. During the summer, fall and winter he spent considerable time visiting Scotland and Ireland, making a tour of these countries chiefly on foot, graphically describing in his letters his observations of the different countries and their people. Much of his time abroad was passed in England, from which country he returned to New York in the spring of 1861, where he resumed his journalistic work. In 1862 he published a volume of poems entitled "Home and Abroad." While thus engaged he published several works, some of which contain the speeches of eminent public men, besides other miscellaneous books. From 1865 to 1871 he was connected with the National Anti-Slavery Standard, as publisher and associate editor. In the spring of 1872 he moved to Kansas, locating at Council Grove, in Morris County, where he was employed as land agent for the M. K. & T. R. R. Co., which position he held until the spring of 1873, when he removed to Rush County, where he established the Walnut Valley Standard, and published the same until 1877, when he moved with his paper to Ellis, Ellis County, where he continued its publication as the Standard. Mr. Tomlinson was the first representative elected to the Legislature from Rush County. In 1879 he removed to Russell, Russell County, where he established and published the Independent, and remained there until the fall of 1881, when he removed to Topeka assuming a position on the editorial staff of the Commonwealth, and while thus employed was appointed executive clerk by Gov. G. W. Glick, January 7, 1883, entering upon the duties of his office immediately thereafter. Mr. Tomlinson was married at Camden, Morris Co., Kansas, in December, 1872, to Miss Nellie M. Raceco, a native of New York State, the issue of which marriage is one daughter - Effie.
JAMES A. TROUTMAN, attorney, was born near Pleasant Grove, Fulton Co., Ind., December 1, 1853, and in March, 1865, came to Kansas with his parents and located in Tecumseh Township, Shawnee County. His parents, William H. and Nancy (Smith) Troutman, at present reside in Topeka. He was educated in the public schools and at the normal school in Leavenworth, and taught in Kansas and Missouri for three years after leaving the normal school. In July, 1876, he came to Topeka and read law with Peck, Ryan & Johnson, until admitted to the bar in the spring of 1878. He edited the Kansas Temperance Palladium for one year after the fall of 1879, for the first ten weeks at Topeka and for the remainder of the time at Lawrence. Since the discontinuance of that organ he has been engaged in active practice as a partner of Judge Day, with whom he had been associated before engaging in the Prohibition campaign. Mr. Troutman is secretary of the State Temperance Union, a position he has held for three years, and is vice president of the Kansas Mutual Benefit Union - a temperance insurance organization. He has also served for two years as grand worthy secretary of of the I. O. G. T., and is at present official head of that order in Kansas.
D. TUTTLE, dealer in meats, of the firm of Tuttle & Co., 219 Kansas avenue, was born in Durham Conn., April 16, 1833. His father's name was Joseph Tuttle, his mother's Phoebe Smith. Both were lineal descendants of old Puritan stock. He remained at Durham on a farm until 1877, when he moved to Topeka, Kan., and established one of the largest meat-markets in the city. He was married in October, 1865, to Mary E. Newell, of Connecticut. One daughter, Jennie M. Tuttle, was born October 26, 1867.
E. A. TUTTLE, M. D., was born in Boston, Mass., September 13, 1848; was educated in the public schools of Boston, and attended lectures at the Medical Department of Harvard College. For four years he was associated with Dr. Braman, surgeon at Watertown, Mass., Arsenal. Afterward, for three years, he was in practice on Elliot street, Boston. On account of ill-health he removed to Auburn, Kansas, in 1879. Remained there until 1882, and then came to Topeka, where he has since been in practice, besides being a partner with George Williams in the drug business since February, 1883. He is a member of the Kansas State Eclectic Medical Society. The doctor was married at Boston, May 12, 1875, to Edith J. Lindsey, a native of Rockland, Maine. They have one child - Alice D.
OLIVER PRICE UPDEGRAFF, money broker, is a native of Mount Pleasant, Jefferson Co., Ohio, where he thoroughly learned the banking business, having been paying teller of the First National Bank of that place for three years prior to coming to Topeka in July, 1879. He embarked in the cattle business and other speculations when he first came here, but within a year he commenced loaning money, making that his principal business, although he has been identified with various enterprises, being one of the original proprietors and promoters of the Grand Opera House Co. At present he is associated with L. M. H. Wood, in the management of that establishment. In the brokerage business, his father-in-law, J. H. Gill, president of the First National bank of Mount Pleasant, Ohio, is his partner, the firm name being Gill & Updegraff. Mr. Updegraff was married at Mount Pleasant, Ohio, to Mary P. Gill. They have two children, James Gill and Oliver Price, Jr. Mr. U. is a member of the K. of P., being vice-chancellor of Capital Lodge No. 21. He is a Quaker in religion.
J. W. URSCHEL, B street, North Topeka, dealer in meat, was born March 6, 1845, at Canton, Ohio. His parents still live in the same town. He remained at home on a farm until the spring of 1875, when he came to Kansas, settling on a farm near Topeka. He resided there until 1882 when he came to the city, engaging in the business which he now follows. He is a member of the Capital Lodge of Grangers; also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of North Topeka. He was married to Miss Helen I. Van Fleet, of Lucas County, Ohio, in March, 1871. They have two children, one son and one daughter. Mr. Urschel has three brothers and three sisters living in Ohio and Indiana.
RT. REV. THOMAS HUBBARD VAIL, S. T. D., LL. D., was born in Richmond, Va., October 21, 1812. His parents were from New England; he was baptized in the Capitol, at Richmond, by Rev. Mr. Buchanan, who, for many years, was the assistant of Bishop Moore, in the Monumental Church. On the death of his father, which occurred in 1817, he, with the survivors of the family, returned to New England, where he received his education. He was graduated from Washington (now Trinity) College, Hartford, Conn., in 1831, and from the general Theological Seminary, New York, in 1835. He was ordained a deacon, at New Canaan, Conn., June 29, 1835, by Rt. Rev. Thomas Church Brownell, S. T. D.; January 6, 1837, he was ordained a priest by Rt. Rev. Alexander V. Griswold, S. T. D. During three months succeeding his ordination to the deaconate, he officiated in St. James Church, Philadelphia; subsequently he removed to Boston, and was temporarily engaged as assistant to Dr. Wainwright, then rector of Trinity Church; under his direction he went to Worcester, Mass. and organized All Saints Church; in 1837, at Easter, he became rector of Christ Church, Cambridge, Mass., where he remained nearly two years; in 1839, he removed to Connecticut and assumed the rectorship of St. John's Church, Essex; in 1844, he removed to Westerly, R. I., and became the rector of Christ Church, where he remained for fourteen years, during which time he was deputy to the general convention from the Diocese of Rhode Island; in 1857 he returned to Massachusetts and became the rector of St. Thomas Church, Taunton; in 1863 he removed to Muscatine, Iowa, and became the rector of Trinity Church; in September, 1864, he was elected Bishop of Kansas, and was consecrated to that holy office in Trinity Church, Muscatine, Iowa, September 15, 1864, by the Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper, S. T. D., assisted by the Rt. Rev. Henry Washington Lee, S. T. D. and the Rt. Rev. Gregory Thurston Bedell, D. D. He removed soon after to his new field of labor, settling in Topeka. As the first bishop, of the diocese of Kansas, his work is identified with the growth, harmony and general prosperity of the church. When the bishop first came to Kansas, his charge suggested more of labor, faith and hope in the future than of ease or present prosperity. Two small churches were built - one at Wyandotte and one at Lawrence- -two were in process of erection - one at Leavenworth and one at Fort Scott, and the walls of the churches commenced before the war, were standing at Topeka, Manhattan and Junction City. Now there are thirty-one churches, fourteen parsonages, thirty-two organized parishes, thirty-eight missions outside the regular parishes, and thirty-eight clergy. There is a fine college, the College of the Sisters of Bethany, at Topeka, valued at $150,000, the establishment of which is attributable to the labors of Bishop Vail. He is at present engaged in the work of founding a church hospital at Topeka, to be known as Christ's Hospital; the enterprise is so far on the road to consummation that it is safe to record it as another evidence of his Christian devotion and philanthropy. In addition to his labors and responsibilities as recor (sic) and bishop, the subject of this sketch has found time for much valuable literary work. Among his published writings are: The Comprehensive Church; Life of Lyde, with an edition of his poems; Plan and Outline of a public library, with selections of books under many heads and many other minor publications, sermons, charges, pastoral letters, etc. Bishop Vail married, at the age of twenty-three years, Miss Frances Sophia Vose, (sic) youngest daughter of Col. Walter Burling, of Natchez, Miss. They had nine children, of whom three survive - Thomas C., now a resident of Topeka; J. Everett, Washington, D. C., and Maria, wife of Rev. Dr. Backwell of Santa Barbara, Cal. Mrs. Vail died before his settlement in Kansas. April 22, 1867, he married Miss Sedlie Bowman, only child of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Samuel Bowman, D. D., of Pennsylvania. They have had two children, one of whom, a daughter, Ellen Sitgreaves, is now (1883) twelve years of age. Bishop Vail received the degree of Doctor of Sacred Theology, from Brown University, Providence, R. I., in 1858, and that of Doctor of Laws from the University of Kansas, A. D. 1875.
HON. DANIEL M. VALENTINE is a lineal descendant of Richard Valentine, who came from England and settled at Hempstead, Long Island, in 1644. There the family remained till 1728, at which time, Richard, his grandson, removed thence to Elizabeth, N. J. From there, Daniel, a grandson of Richard last named, removed to Ohio with his family, remained in Champaign County for a year or more, and finally settled in Shelby County. John W. Valentine, son of Daniel, was born in New Jersey prior to the emigration of the family to Ohio. He married Rebecca Kinkennon, a native of Tennessee. They were the parents of Daniel M. Valentine, the subject of this sketch. He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, June 18, 1830. and removed with his parents to Tippecanoe County, Ind., in 1836. He was bred on the farm of his father, till twenty years of age, enjoying such educational advantages as the public schools and academies of the vicinity afforded. He subsequently followed school-teaching and surveying. He removed from Tippecanoe County, Ind., to Iowa, in 1854, first stopping at Jefferson, Greene County, then in Winterset, Madison County, and finally settling at Fontanelle, Adair County. He read law in Iowa and Indiana, and was admitted to practice at Winterset, in the spring of 1858. In 1859 he came to Kansas, first settling in Leavenworth. In 1860, he removed to Peoria City, Franklin County, where he lived till 1875, at which time he took up his residence at Topeka, the capital of the State, where he has since continued to reside. Mr. Valentine was in active service as a private, at the various times during the war period, 1861-65, whenever the exigencies of the times called the Kansas Militia into active service, to repel the frequent raids of the enemy into the State, or near its borders. He took part in the short, but successful campaign, which resulted in the discomfiture and defeat of the rebel invasion of Gen. Price. The estimate in which he is held by his fellow citizens is evinced by the frequency with which they have called him by their votes to offices of trust and honor. While in Iowa, he was County Surveyor of Adair County, during 1855-6-7, and Attorney for the same county in 1858, and until his removal to Kansas, in 1859. Since becoming a resident of the latter State, he has been honored as follows: In November, 1861, elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives from Franklin County; in 1863-64, he was a member of the State Senate from the same county; he served as Judge of the Fourth Judicial District, from 1864 to 1868, inclusive; and in 1868, was elected Justice of the Supreme Court of Kansas, and has twice been re-elected to the same eminent position. At the Republican State Convention he was nominated for a third time as Justice, without a dissenting voice. He is still an honored occupant of the Supreme bench, where, after the long service of fifteen years, he still retains the unqualified confidence of the people as a just and honest judge, and the eminent respect of the bar, for his long tried and often proved ability as a jurist. He is a member of the Masonic Brotherhood, and has been for about twenty-five years, a bright exponent of unostentatious charity which characterizes all true brothers of the mystic tie. His early political affiliations were with the Whig party. For many years past he has been a staunch and unswerving Republican. His religious convictions are deep and all too broad for dogmatic classification, covering more the domain of practical good works in the great field of humanity than that of polemic contests as to the truth or falsity of formulated creeds. In all the walks of life his path is that of rectitude and honor, his reputation untarnished, and his character unstained. Judge Valentine married Miss Martha Root, of Fontanelle, Iowa, June 26, 1855. They have had twelve children. Those living are - D. Adelbert, Sarah Eva, John Wm., Harry Edward, Martha Abbie, Maggie Elsie, Ralph Elmer, Lilian Irene, Louis Franklin. Three children died in infancy. He has been a member of the Masonic order since December 15, 1858.
A. H. VANCE, County Attorney, was born in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, November 7, 1842. He acquired his literary education in the schools of Mt. Vernon, and at Oberlin College, and studied law at Columbia Law School at Washington, D. C., from which he graduated in the spring of 1868, being admitted to the bar in the District of Columbia the same spring. From that time until he removed to Topeka in November, 1869, he resided at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, engaged in the practice of his profession. He has also been actively engaged in the practice of law in Topeka, since his removal to that city. He was elected County Attorney in the fall of 1874, his term commencing January, 1875, and has held the office by re-election, continuously until the present time. He was married in Topeka, October 20, 1881, to Laura B. Wolf, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, but for several years a resident of Topeka. Mr. Vance is a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery, K. of H., and K. of P.
W. W. VANDERVERE, grocer of the firm of Vandervere & Cockrell, 263 Kansas avenue. Born in Ogden, Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1837. He lived in Ogden until he reached the age of twenty-one, when he removed to Rochester, N. Y., and engaged in the business of selling fruits. His health failing, he went to Michigan in 1861 where he again went into business, and continued until 1878. He then became a commercial agent and traveled until 1882, at which time he came to Lawrence, Kan. In February, 1883, he went into the grocery business in the city of Topeka. He was married to Ursula R. Seely, of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1857. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Blue Lodge Chapter and Commandery, and is a successful business man. He entered upon the secret service of the United States in the spring of 1877, continuing about five years.
COL. GEORGE W. VEALE was born May 20, 1833, in Davies County, Ind., and is the youngest child of James C. and Eleanor Aikman Veale, who were among the earliest settlers of Indiana. George W. spent his early years on a farm, working summers and attending the pioneer schools in the vicinity in the winter. He made the most of his advantages, however, and while yet a youth was able to enter Wabash College, Ind., where he remained two years. The first year of his active business life was spent on the lower Mississippi, where he had charge of a store boat loaded with goods for planters and farmers, and as a clerk of an Ohio and Mississippi River steamer. In 1854 he engaged as clerk with a wholesale dry goods house in Evansville, Ind., and subsequently became traveling and collecting agent for the firm. In 1856 he emigrated to Kansas and started a dry goods business in Leavenworth County which he continued until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, when he raised a cavalry company and was mustered into the United States service as Captain of Company E, Fourth Kansas Volunteers. In June, 1861, he was commissioned Major in the Sixth Kansas Cavalry in March, 1862, and served in that position until October 10, 1863; in July, 1864, he was commissioned Colonel of Kansas State Militia, and in the following October participated with his regiment, the Second, in the battles on the border during the Price raid; both commander and men being especially distinguished for bravery and persistent determination in the hard fought engagements at the Mockaby Farm and on the Blue. The spring of 1866 he was commissioned by the Governor of Kansas Commissioner for the sale of State lands; he served as State Senator in 1867-68, and '69; as Representative in 1871-73-75-76, and was again elected Representative in the fall of 1882, and served during the winter of 1883. Mr. Veale was one of the incorporators and was prominently connected with the building of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., and now has charge of the taxes and other interests of the Kansas and Colorado property of the Union Pacific Railroad Company; his time being mainly devoted to the interests of that road. He was married January 20, 1857, to Miss Nannie Johnson, of Evansville, Ind.; their family consists of two sons, G. W. Veale, Jr. and Walter I. Veale.
H. P. VROOMAN located at Council Grove, Kan., in May, 1876, remaining there two years and removed to Eureka, at which place he resided until the fall of 1881, when he removed to Topeka. He was born at Johnstown, Montgomery Co., N. Y., July 24, 1828, and with his parents removed to Ohio, locating near Toledo in 1837; in May, 1850, he commenced the study of law; was admitted to the bar in 1854, and in the fall of the same year was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Monroe County, Mich.; he continued his practice in Monroe and Port Huron until 1865, and then removed to Macon County, Mo., where he was appointed Judge of Court of Common Pleas by the Governor of Missouri in the spring of 1868, and elected to the same office the following fall; he resigned this office six years later, and soon afterward removed to Kansas. He was married at Kalamazoo, Mich., February 20, 1862, to Sarah Buffington, daughter of the United States Consul at Chatham, Canada. They have six children, Frank R., Henry C., Walter W., Hiram G., Carl Schurz, and Roy B. Mr. Vrooman is a member of the Congregational Church, and was the national candidate for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Kansas in 1878, and for Governor in 1880.