|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (SLAYTON - SWINGLE).
C. F. SLAYTON, farmer, three miles southwest of Topeka. Came to Kansas with his father in 1856, who pre-empted the farm now cultivated by Mr. S. Jr. Was born October 9, 1854, in Crawford Co., Pa., where he resided until coming to Kansas. Mr. S. was in Colorado in 1880 working at the carpenter trade. Was married in the spring of 1879 to Miss Lillian Swan, of Shawnee County. Is a member of Shawnee County Old Settler's Society.
PROF. JONATHAN S. SLIE was born in Black Rock, N. Y., in 1838, and remained there until 1845, when his parents removed to Rochester, N. Y. His father was a Congregational minister, and editor of a paper called the Closet, published in Rochester, N. Y. He was also the author of several books on prayer, the last of which was entitled: "The Holy of Holies, or The World's Try-daily Concert of Prayer." Prof. Slie was prepared for college at Cayuga Lake Academy, and graduated at Hamilton College in 1863. He taught at Wolcott, N. Y., two years, and afterward at Corning Free Academy. He was principal of these institutions. He married Miss Martha Hubbard, a graduate of the State Normal School, at Albany, N. Y., in 1865. In the spring of 1866, Prof. Slie moved to Painesville, Ohio, where he taught vocal and instrumental music, two years and a half. He then became professor of music at Batavia, N. Y., in the State Institution for the Blind. He was also principal of the Literary Department of the same institution. He came to Kansas in 1871. He settled in Manhattan, where he purchased property, and taught music until 1874, at which time he came to Topeka, and became professor of music at Washburn College. He has been principal of Clay Street Public School, and also of North Topeka School. In 1879 he went into the general music business and continued until 1882, when he retired. He now resides in a beautiful house at the corner of Eighth and Polk, facing Bethany College. Prof. Slie's father was a native of New Haven, Conn., and his mother was from Hartford, in the same State. He has had seven children, five of whom are deceased. Two sons remain, one - Wilber H. Slie, but fifteen years of age, has visited England and many countries. He is now employed in Sexton's printing office. Prof. Slie is a member of the Congregational Church. He also belongs to the United Order of Ancient Templars, and is recorder of the Order.
JACOB N. SLUSHER, foreman of car cleaners, A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. Came to Kansas in May, 1871, from Owsley County, Ky., and located in Topeka. Was in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. Co., first engaged in construction, then in the round-house. Was afterward engaged in Kansas Rolling Mill Company for about eighteen months. Was then in the car department for about eleven months, and then farmed about three years near North Topeka, and in September, 1879, again entered the service of the A., T. & S. F. Co. in the paint shop, where he worked until April, 1881, when he was appointed to his present position. His duties include the general supervision of car cleaning; has twenty men under his immediate supervision and directs the overhauling and cleaning of coaches, sleepers, directors' and palace cars, seeing that each coach before it goes out over this great national thoroughfare is in exact "ship shape." Mr. S. also keeps the time of eleven men who are engaged in preparing coaches for the paint shop. Was born in Harlan County, Ky. April 16, 1848. Remained in his native county until sixteen years of age, farming for his father. Removed from there to Decatur County, Ind., the times being perilous and stringent in Kentucky on account of the war. Remained in Indiana until 1865, engaged in farming with his father and returned to his native county in Kentucky, where he remained until 1869, and removed to Owsley County, Ky., where he remained until coming to Kansas in 1871. Was married in May, 1868, at Wallin's Creek, Harlan Co., Ky., to Miss Juda Jackson, a native of that county and they have three children living - Adaphair, Gilbert and Leona. Is a member of Topeka Lodge No. 40, I. O. O. F.
PLEASANT SMELSER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Topeka. Rents and farms 160 acres of land. He was born in Butler County, Ohio, in 1840, and moved to Miami County in 1850. He was married in 1865 to Miss Sarah Swank and moved to Indiana the same year, and came to Kansas in 1876 and first located in Tecumseh Township. He came to his present farm in the spring of 1879. They have a family of six children - John A., Florence E., Jesse A., Joseph E., Edgar C. and George N. Mr. Smelser is a member of the United Brethren Church.
CHARLES B. SMITH, deputy United States District Attorney, is a native of Oswego, Kendall Co., Ill.; read law in Chicago with McCagg, Fuller & Culver, and was admitted to the bar a short time prior to his location at Topeka, in May, 1873. Most of the early years of his life were spent in Ottawa, La Salle County, and Geneseo, Henry Co., Ill., before going to Chicago. For three years after coming to Topeka he was associated in law practice with Colonel Dennis, afterward with W. H. Rossington until 1881, when W. A. Johnston, the present Attorney General, became a member of the firm. Mr. Smith has been Examiner in the United States Circuit Court, and in 1880, he was appointed to his present position of Deputy United States District Attorney.
HON. IRA H. SMITH was born in Seymour, New Haven Co., Conn., in 1815. He graduated at Yale College in 1842, and from the Yale Theological Seminary in 1845. In 1846 he became pastor of the Congregational Church in North Haven, but was compelled to abandon the ministry and seek a more active occupation on account of ill health. In 1846 he married Miss Sarah Jane Bartholomew, of Wolcott, Conn., by whom he had two sons and two daughters, only one of whom is now living - Edward G., who is a graduate of the Kansas State University, and is at present in the employ of the L. T. & S. W. R. R. Co. as a civil engineer. Mr. Smith came to Kansas in the fall of 1854, locating upon what is now the site of the railroad depot in Robinson, Brown County. He was engaged in the United States Survey from 1855 to 1857. He represented Brown County in the Legislature in 1861, in which year he removed to Atchison, where he became Receiver in the Land Office, and on the consolidation of the Atchison and Topeka Land offices he removed to the latter place, where he became Registrar, occupying the office until 1873. Mr. Smith was a member of the Topeka Board of Education for several years, and is also a trustee of Washburn College and a member of the Executive Committee.
JACOB SMITH was born near Reading, Berks Co., Pa., June 24, 1829, and reared in Somerset, Perry Co., Ohio. He lived in Bluffton, Ind. for three years prior to coming to Kansas, and was married at that place in April, 1852, to Miss J. J. Foncannon of Tiffin, Ohio. In 1857 he emigrated to Kansas and for about three months resided on a claim which he purchased in Tecumseh, Kansas. Since that time he has resided in Topeka and has become identified with many important interests in that city. He has carefully attended to his farming interests from the time of his first purchasing a claim, and now owns the largest stock farm in Shawnee County. He has also carried on the hardware business during a large portion of his residence in Topeka. He was one of the corporators and for nine years president of the Topeka Bank, and was for a time president of the De Soto & Pleasant Hill R. R., also director and treasurer of K. C., I. & S. W. R'y. and for five years County Treasurer. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have buried one child, the sole surviving one being Ida S., wife of W. A. L. Thompson.
HON. JAMES SMITH, Secretary of State, came to Kansas in March, 1860, and located on a farm in Vermillion Township, Marshall County, where he remained until the early part of the war. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Kansas Cavalry and served in that regiment until he was mustered out, October 1, 1865, having re-enlisted as a veteran. Mr. Smith enlisted as a private, and served in that capacity until the last year of his term of service, when he was promoted to First Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster. After leaving the army he returned to Marshall County and the following month (November, 1865) was elected member of the Kansas House of Representatives. He became County Clerk in January, 1870, holding the office two terms continuously, and afterwards the office of County Treasurer for the same period. He was elected Secretary of State in 1878, and re-elected in 1880. Mr. Smith was born at Elder's Ridge, Armstrong Co., Pa., July 29, 1837. His early education was acquired at the schools and academy of his native town, and later at Jefferson College, Washington County, Pa., from which institution he graduated. He was married in Vermillion Township, Marshall Co., Kas., January 23, 1868, to Miss Jennie Edgar, a native of Galesburg, Ill. Their three children are Mary, Clarence and Ida. Mr. Smith is a member of the A. F. & A. M., K. of P., G. A. R. and K. of H.
PETER SMITH, banker, settled in Topeka in the fall of 1874, and has since been engaged in banking at that place, being at present one of the proprietors of the Citizens' Bank of North Topeka. He is a native of Richmond, Wayne Co., Ind., where he was connected with the mercantile business before coming to Kansas.
D. E. SOWERS, attorney, was born in West Bethlehem, Washington Co., Pa., September 27, 1846, and educated at Bethany College, West Virginia. He came to Topeka in 1875, and has been engaged in practice here since that time. Mr. S. was married at Denver, Col., November 9, 1876, to Eva M. Alvord, a native of Davenport, Scott Co., Iowa. They have two children - Ella and Lulu.
CHARLES F. SPENCER, attorney at law, has been a resident of Topeka since 1857. His father, George W. Spencer, a native of New York State, located in Topeka the preceding year, removing his family in 1857. George W. Spencer was brought to Kansas by his desire to take part in the struggle to make Kansas a free State. He became a strong and active Free-State man. He was one of the early County Commissioners of his county and served in that capacity several terms. He was County Commissioner during the bitter and excited contest over the question of issuing the A., T. & S. F. R. R. bonds, and it was mainly through his unwavering and fearless position in their favor that these bonds were issued, and the building of this road was secured, which soon afterwards so rapidly built up Shawnee County and the city of Topeka. He died in 1881, leaving a wife and family who now all reside in Topeka. Charles F. was born in Greenwood, Johnson Co., Ind., June 22, 1854, and was educated in the public schools and Topeka High School. He was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1878, and has been practicing his profession since then, and is a member of the Topeka Bar Association.
P. J. SPRENG, farmer and stock-raiser. His farm contains 188 3/4 acres, situated four and one-half miles southwest of Topeka. He was born March 25, 1839, in Wayne County, Ohio, where he remained until 20 years of age. In 1859 he emigrated to Lawrence County, Ill. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company H, Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, October, 1861. Was at Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, Holly Springs, Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., Mission Ridge and Lookout Mountain. He re- enlisted December 31, 1863. Was all through the Atlanta campaign and Sherman's march through Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia to Washington. Was discharged at Louisville, Ky., July 20, 1865, when he returned to Illinois, and in October, 1866, came to Kansas and located his present home, after which he again returned to Illinois, thence to Ohio. He is a member of Wooster Lodge, No. 42, and Killbuck Encampment, No. 17, I. O. O. F. of Ohio. He was married to Miss Martha Finley, of Holmes County, Ohio, March 15, 1870. They have one child - Charles W., born June 19, 1871. Came to Kansas in February, 1878, to permanently locate on and improve his farm, a very handsome one, overlooking the capital of the State.
PROF. GEORGE M. STEARNS, M. A., was born at Concord, N. H., April 12, 1852, living there and in Hartford, Conn., until 1870, when he entered Yale College, from which he graduated in the class of 1874. During the next three years he resided in New York City, engaged in teaching. He was married, at Hartford, Conn., Miss Annie M. Thompson. a native of Scotland. In 1876 he accepted the chair of the Latin and Greek in Washburn College, and now holds that position. Prof. S. is an earnest member of the Congregational Church at Topeka, of which he is also trustee. He is also treasurer of the General Association of Congregational Churches of Kansas, and of the State Temperance Union.
J. M. STEEL, of the firm of Steel & Long meat market, 437 Kansas avenue, North Topeka, was born in Cuyahoga County, near Cleveland, Ohio, in the autumn of 1838. He lived there until the spring of 1852, when he went to Indiana. He remained there but a short time, however, when he returned to his old home. He moved to North Topeka, Kan., in 1868, and has resided there most of the time since. He was married to Miss Hester A. McKenzie, of Emporia, Kan., in 1870. He is a member of Golden Rule Lodge of Free Masons; he is also a member of the K. of H. lodge. Mr. Steel enlisted in Company A, Eighty-seventh Indiana, in August, 1862, and remained in the service three years. He was in the Pioneer Corps of the Army of the Cumberland, which was afterward organized into the First United States Veteran Volunteer Engineers' Regiment, which was the only regiment of the kind in service during the war. It was composed of volunteers from every regiment in the Army of the Cumberland. Mr. Steel was not absent five days from his command during the whole three years of his service.
STEVENSON & PECKHAM, wholesale and retail dry goods and carpet merchants; firm composed of Geo. T. Stevenson and John R. Peckham. Mr. Stevenson is a native of New York, reared in the dry goods business in the city of New York. He spends much of his time in that city now, giving his attention to buying for the house of which he is the head. John R. Peckham, the junior member of the firm, is a native of New York City, where he he resided until he came to Topeka in January, 1882. This firm is much the largest of any in this city, doing a retail business of a quarter of a million dollars per annum; they carry a stock of from $50,000 to $100,000 and give employment to forty clerks in the various departments of their business. William R. Topping is one the associate managers of this large establishment. He was born at Bath, Steuben Co., N. Y. October 1, 1849; came to Topeka in August, 1882, having been previously connected with wholesale dry goods house of Sibley, Lindsay & Kerr, at Rochester, N. Y.
JAMES STEVENSON, farmer; Section 28, P. O. Topeka, owns 160 acres, 80 acres cultivated, 80 in meadow and pasture; has some stock. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1880, locating on this place. Born in the north of Ireland in 1846, and came to the United States in 1869, locating in Boston, Mass., remaining there and working at his trade until coming to Kansas. Was married September 1, 1880, to Miss Susan Dalzell. Has one child - Agnace (sic) J. Is a member of the Congregational Church.
F. G. STILES, farmer and dairyman, Section 21, P. O. Topeka, owns 160 acres, and rents 320 acres in addition thereto, exclusively for meadow and pasture. Has 120 acres of his own farm in cultivation in corn, oats and millet. Has a fine frame dwelling, milk-house and dairy attached and joining on to dairy are his barns for cows and horses. His cow-barn is most is most conveniently arranged, having a capacity for sixty-eight cows, with bins above for oats and bran, and spouts leading to the bins, for convenience in feeding; also ample accommodation for feeding calves. He has had a large horse-barn attached, so that he can go from his dwelling through the dairy and barns without going out doors. He has forty-three cows milking, and ninety head in all, and fifteen horses. He makes a specialty of the Jersey breed of cattle, and has a fine full-blood Jersey bull, which is a model for beauty and size. Mr. S. was born in the State of New York, August 17, 1857, and came from his native place to Kansas, May 13, 1880, locating here. Was married August 14, 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Miller, and has two children - Robert Ray and Cathie.
SAMUEL W. STONE, manager of the Topeka Underwriters' Compact, was born at Cornish, N. H., October 6, 1811. In 1841, he went to Louisville, Ky., where he engaged in music-publishing business until 1855, carrying on at the same time a wholesale and retail trade in musical instruments. He was then at Peoria, Ill., for two years, engaged in flour-milling, and subsequently at Pekin for three years in the same business. In the spring of that year he removed to Memphis, Tenn., where he was in the music business until he came to Kansas, in September, 1862. His first location was on a farm in Doniphan County, where he resided until 1868. He then came to Topeka and opened a music store - the first in that place. He dealt in pianos and organs, and at the same time carried on an insurance business. In 1871 he added agricultural implements to his stock in trade, and three years later discontinued his trade in musical instruments, farm machinery, etc., and devoted his whole attention to the insurance business. He has been manager of the Topeka Underwriters' Compact since April 1, 1882, having control and management of all the companies doing business here, and is also engaged in the real estate business. He was married in Hartland, Vt., February, 1832, to Mary Ann Head. She died in 1837, and four years later in April, 1841, was married at New Hampton, N. H., to Hannah T., daughter of Dr. Simeon Dana, of that place. Mr. Stone is a member of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and a member of the Episcopal Church.
W. D. STONE, dealer in agricultural implements, wagons, and buggies of the firm of Kennedy & Stone, was born in Wabash, Ind., in 1843, and was educated in the common schools and Kokomo Normal School of his native State. He was in the dry goods business in early life, but left that to become a soldier, and enlisted in Company F, Second Indiana Cavalry. He was on detached service nearly all the time, having command of Gen. Alexander McDowl McCook's escort. He was in all the engagements of his command, at Shiloh, at Perryville, Ky., Stone River, Chickamauga, and in Sherman's March to the Sea. He was mustered out at Indianapolis in October, 1865. He then went to his home engaging in business until the fall of 1867, when he removed to Gilman, Ill. In 1878 he settled in Topeka, Kan. He has one of the largest farm implement establishments in the State. Mr. Stone was married to Miss Annie Ford, daughter of Dr. James Ford, of Wabash, Ind., in 1868. They have one son and one daughter living. Mr. Stone is a successful business man, and the firm are construction contractors for seventy-five miles of the Topeka Salina & Western Railroad, from Council Grove to Salina.
E. E. STRAIT, farmer and stock dealer, Section 22, P. O. Topeka, has eighty-five acres all cultivated. Makes a specialty of corn, hogs and cattle winter feeding. Came to Kansas in 1865. First located in Topeka. In 1866 removed to Marion County. In 1866 came back to Topeka, where he was in various kinds of business until 1873, when he bought his present farm. Held the office of Probate Judge while in Marion County; also was Councilman from second ward while a resident of Topeka, and is now Clerk of School District No. 36. Never enlisted, but was in Government employ in the Freedmen's Department for eighteen months; also had charge of a brigade of army wagons for a year. Was born in Bradford County, Pa., February 15, 1838, and lived there until he came to Kansas. Has three children - Emma, Lorena and Augusta.
G. W. STRAWN, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Pauline, owns 160 acres, all improved. Came to Kansas in June, 1860. First located on the Cherokee neutral land - now Crawford County - losing his land there by the decision of the courts, and came to his present place in 1865. Was born in Winnebago County, Ill., in 1840, and came from his native place to Kansas, going back to Illinois during the year. While in Illinois was Township Collector. Was married October, 1862, to Mary A. Bennett. Has seven children - William E., Lydia I., Ada M., Mary G., Anna B., May A. and Minnie.
THEODORE T. STRINGHAM, real estate dealer came to Atchison, Kansas, in July, 1861, and was engaged in the furniture business for two years, then going to Montana. In 1866 he returned to Kansas and engaged in the drug business at Topeka. He continued this business for thirteen years, and has since been engaged in real estate, dealing in farms and city property, and paying taxes and collecting rents for non- residents. Has been associated with W. W. Phillips since February, 1880. He is one of the directors of the First National Bank, secretary of the Trinidad Mining Company, director of the Board of Trade, and secretary of the Topeka Stock Yards. He is also a member of the A. F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, and is one of the founders and first Secretary of the Kansas State Fair Association. Mr. Stringham was born in Lyndon, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., December 2, 1839, and when four years old moved to Yorkshire Center, which was his home most of the time until he came to Kansas. He was married in Yorkshire, N. Y. January 15, 1867, to Marie L. Poor, a native of Cuba, N. Y. They have two children- -Jennie A. and Frank D.
S. H. STROUP, farmer, three miles southwest of Topeka, came to Kansas in 1862, from Bates County, Mo., and located first at Leavenworth and remained two years, then came to his present location. He was born February 4, 1858, at Albia, Iowa, and remained a short time and moved with his parents to Missouri, where he remained until coming to Kansas. His parents reside at Rossville, Shawnee County, Kansas.
GEN. F. S. STUMBAUGH, attorney, North Topeka, was born near Shippensburg, Pa., April 14, 1817. He was educated in the common schools of his native State, he resided at Hagerstown, Md., from the spring of 1841 until the spring of 1843; then returned to Pennsylvania and located at Chambersburg until he came to Kansas, except during the period that he was in the army. As early as August 20, 1844, he became connected with the military affairs of his native State being then commissioned captain of the "Independent Blues" and was known as "Franklin County Regiment," State Militia. April 20, 1861, was commissioned Colonel of Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, three months service; September 20, 1861, he became Colonel of the Seventy-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, he having been about one month raising the regiment. November 20, 1862, he was promoted to Brigadier General, but owing to ill health he was honorably discharged December 7th of the same year, but entered upon staff duty Gen. Couch, and was at the battle of Gettysburg; but finally his health becoming worse, he left the service in October, 1863. In 1866 and '67 he was a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature. He was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1851, and immediately began practice at Chambersburg. He was married in that city September 16, 1841, to Sophia Cressler, native of Southampton Township, Franklin County, Pa. They have five children living - Isador A., a farmer; George S. W., Leah E., now Mrs. W. S. Davison of Topeka; Thomas J., a printer, and Mary F., an unmarried daughter. The General is a member of the I. O. O. F., having joined that order in 1841; he is also connected with the Druids, K. of P., American Mechanics Association, and the G. A. R.; he came to Kansas in November, 1877, locating at Rush Centre, Rush County; was elected a member of the Kansas Legislature in 1878; came to Topeka to reside in February, 1881. He has been engaged in practice since he was admitted to the bar, except while doing service in the army. While at Chambersburg he was in partnership for some time with Hon. John Stewart, who was in 1882 candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania on the Independent ticket; most of the time while at Rush Centre, Eugene N. Gunn was his law partner; now he is alone in practice.
CHARLES SUMMERS, proprietor of livery, feed and sale stables, B street east, North Topeka; was born in Alliance, Ohio, March 4, 1858, son of Andrew Summers, a banker of that city; lived there until September 20, 1875, when he moved to North Topeka, Kansas, where he has been engaged in his present business most of the time since. He was educated at the Alliance High School. He is a member of the Kaw Valley Lodge, No. 20, A. O. U. W. Mr. Summers married Mary E., daughter of T. H. Anderson, of North Topeka. They have three children, one son and two daughters.
J. W. SURFIS, proprietor Surfis House, was born in Madison County, Ohio, January 10, 1834, remaining there until seventeen years old. He then went to Joliet, Ill., engaging in farming until 1859, when he emigrated to Kansas stopping one year in Missouri. He was married in Polk County, Mo., May 4, 1860, to Miss Mary Ragland, who was born in St. Louis, Mo. After coming to this State he worked at his trade of carpenter. Soon after began teaming, which he followed several years. He also opened his hotel, consisting of fourteen rooms, which he now runs. He is preparing to build a brick building, one hundred by thirty-five feet, in order that he may accommodate his increasing patronage. He enlisted in 1864 in Company K, Third Colorado Infantry, serving about a year, doing duty in the Indian service. Mr. S. is a member of Capital Lodge No. 3, A. O. U. W. and of the Select Knights of the same order. He has always voted the Democratic ticket.
DANIEL K. SWEARINGEN, transfer business, was born Fayette County, Pa., August 8, 1828, living there until 1843, when he and his family moved to Highland County, Ohio, where he resided seven years. He has been twice married. He was first married in Highland County, Ohio, in June, 1848, to Miss Caroline R. Finley, who died in July, 1866, leaving four children - Alonzo D., Sophia C., Samuel P. and Daniel K., Jr. In August, 1867, he was again married, in Highland County, Ohio, to Miss Sarah C. Lucas. They have four children living - Willie G., Mary Emma, Frankie W. and Fred. In 1850 he moved to Pike County, Ill. where he resided six years, and then moved to Marion County, remaining two years, and then returned to Highland County, remaining there until 1870, when he moved to Montgomery County, Iowa, in which he resided until 1879, when he moved to Saline County, Kan., remaining until December, 1881, when he removed to Topeka. He is now engaged in the transfer business in Topeka. Mr. S. has served in two wars. He enlisted in June, 1846, in Company C, Second Ohio Infantry, serving one year. Joined Taylor's army immediately after the battle of Buena Vista, taking part in the succeeding campaigns in Mexico. In 1862, enlisted at Newport, Ky., in Company E, Eighth Kentucky Cavalry, as Sergeant, doing scouting duty and guerrilla, taking part in several engagements with John Morgan's force, and at one time capturing a brigade under Dick Morgan. Had four horses shot from under him, and his clothes torn off of him, but fortunately escaped unhurt, having experienced several hair-breadth escapes; also served sixty days in 1864, mostly doing patrol duty in Columbus, Ohio.
S. P. SWIFT, M. D., 435 Kansas avenue, North Topeka, was born in Richfield, Summit Co., Ohio, in 1823, where he remained until 1865. He was educated at the Western Homoeopathic College, Cleveland, graduating in 1860. He practiced his profession in his home town until he removed to Missouri in 1865. He was a leading physician in Shelbina, Mo. for fifteen years, or until 1880, when he came to Kansas, settling in North Topeka. Dr. Swift was married to Miss D. E. Stofer, of his native town, in 1847. They have four children, two son and two daughters, all of whom are grown up and in business in Missouri.
T. B. SWEET, president of the Kansas Loan and Trust Company, located in Topeka January 1, 1873, organized the above company, and has been president since its formation. Mr. Sweet is stockholder, director, and chairman of the executive committee of the Nebraska, Topeka, Iola & Memphis Railroad, and president of Kansas Construction Company, which has control of the construction of that road. He is president of the Vera Cruz Consolidated Gold and Silver Mining Company; director and treasurer of the Godfrey Consolidated Gold and Silver Mining Company, treasurer, director and trustee of the Ticson Mining Company, headquarters at Vera Cruz, N. M.; trustee of the Topeka Mining Association, and stockholder in the Trinidad and other mining companies. Mr. Sweet is a native of Farmington, Me. He was born April 11, 1841, and lived in Farmington until October, 1859. He then moved to Champaign, Ill., where he remained for about thirteen years, engaged in drug business, and afterward in insurance business. While in Champaign he was also cashier of the First National Bank for two or three years, retiring from that position in April, 1872, on account of ill health. From Champaign he moved to Topeka, January 1, 1873. He was married in Jacksonville, Ill., April 29, 1873, to Annie E. Brown, of Jacksonville, daughter of Judge William Brown. They have three children living - Susie Brown, Mary Bailey and Paul Bailey; one son, Willie Brown, died November 8, 1880, aged three years. Mr. Sweet is a prominent member and licensed exhorter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was chairman of the building committee which erected the fine church edifice in Topeka, and is now one of the stewards of that church. He is one of the board of trustees of Baker University, vice-president of Young Men's Christian Association, chairman of executive committee of State Sunday-School Association, trustee of Christ's Hospital, treasurer and member of conference board of trustees of Methodist Episcopal Church Extension Society, treasurer of Kansas Conference Endowment Fund of Baker University, and member of the executive committee of Shawnee County Sunday-School Association.
H. C. SWINGLE, restaurateur, Topeka, came to Kansas in 1869. Mr. S. is by adoption a Kansan, having come to the State when he was nine years old. At that time, Lawrence was the nearest railroad point to Topeka, and the Kaw River was crossed on a pontoon bridge. Was born September 27, 1858, at Seymour, Ind. Is one of the pioneers of Topeka. Has been in the restaurant business about one year. Was married, March 20, 1881, at Topeka, to Miss Ella Stout, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa.