|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (NEEDHAM - PECK).
HERBERT A. NEEDHAM, secretary National Loan and Trust Company, was born at Wilton, N. H., June 16, 1845. Learned the trade of printer in the office of the Vox Populi at Lowell, Mass., where he resided at the commencement of the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in the Thirty-third Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers in May, 1862, and served with that command which was one of the very few New England regiments in the Western armies until July, 1865, when he was discharged as First Lieutenant. Came to Kansas in September, 1866, locating at Humboldt, and engaged in the publication of the Humboldt Union with W. T. McElroy, the present proprietor. Mr. Needham was County Clerk of Allen County from 1872 to 1876. Removed to Topeka in the fall of 1876. Entered the employ of the National Loan and Trust Company early in 1879, and was chosen secretary of the company in the spring of 1882. He married Miss Frances C. Brinkley, at Humboldt, in December, 1867, and they have two children living - Clarence L. and Bertha L.
DANIEL W. NELLIS was born in the Town of Palatine, Montgomery Co., N. Y., September 11, 1845, and resided in his native county until 1865, being educated in the schools of the vicinity and the academy at Canajoharie. In 1865 he went to Albany, N. Y., and was employed in the Treasurer's office of the New York Central R. R. Co., remaining there until he came to Kansas. He located in Topeka in April, 1868, and was employed in a hardware store about fifteen months, becoming book-keeper in the office of the Kansas State Record July 31, 1869, and later occupying the same position in the office of the Commonwealth, May, 1877, he engaged in fire, life, and accident insurance business, J. D. McCune becoming associated with him in May, 1882. Mr. Nellis is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and has been secretary of the Masonic Mutual Benefit Society since June, 1875, two years after its organization; the society now has a membership of 2,200.
GEORGE M. NOBLE is a native of Clermont County, Ohio. He removed from Ohio to Indiana, and afterwards to Champaign, Ill., where he read law, commencing the practice of his profession in Topeka in 1870. In August, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After serving in that capacity eight months, he was promoted to Sergeant Major, and remained in that position until February 23, 1863. He was then appointed Adjutant of the regiment, and in November, 1864, was made Captain of Company C, same regiment. He resigned June 20, 1865, and received a brevet commission as Major after the close of the war. On leaving the army he went to Havana, Ill., where he remained two years, and then removed to Champaign. He was married at Champaign, Ill., January 25, 1872, to Miss Eva Reed, of Frederickstown, Ohio, a graduate of Illinois Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. Noble have two children - Walter T. and George M., jr. On his arrival in Topeka Mr. Noble devoted himself for a time to the general practice of law, being also engaged to some extent in loaning money. Since the organization of the Kansas Loan and Trust Company, of which company he has been secretary since its formation, and also general solicitor, he has given more of his attention to general practice. Mr. Noble is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge and Chapter. He is somewhat interested in mining, being secretary of the Vera Cruz Consolidated Gold and Silver Mining Company, and president of the Godrey Mining Company.
P. S. NOBLE came to Kansas in April, 1872, and located at Atchison, where he was employed as court reporter, and stenographer until 1878. In that year he was appointed Adjutant General by Gov. Anthony and has twice since been appointed to the same office by Gov. St. John. He is a native of Albany County, N. Y.; was born November 30, 1844, and lived there till about six years of age when he removed to Prattville, Greene Co., N. Y. Five years later he removed to Bingham, and at the age of fourteen to St. Joseph County, Mich. He was educated in the public schools of New York and Michigan, and after the war he attended the academy at Elmira, N. Y. He enlisted August 24, 1861, in Company E, Eleventh Michigan Volunteer Infantry, of which regiment William L. Stoughton was Colonel. He remained in that regiment until September 30, 1864, participating in all engagements, and was never sick, wounded or off duty. He was then detailed as clerk on Gen. Negley's staff and afterwards as clerk in the office of the Provost Marshal at Murfreesboro. Upon leaving the army he returned to Michigan and lived at Decatur until he came to Kansas. He was married at Decatur, June 17, 1868, to Emma Flogg, a native of Utica, Oneida Co., N. Y. They have one child - Dwight M., and lost two children in infancy. Mr. Noble is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the G. A. R., and proprietor and editor of the Smith County Pioneer, having purchased the same in July, 1882. He is a director of the Kansas Protective Union and a director of the Leeds Gold Silver Mining Company of Colorado.
W. B. NORRIS was born in County Donegal, Ireland May 1, 1833; emigrated with his father and family to Green County, Wisconsin in 1845, where he engaged in farming until about 1853, since that time he has been engaged in the mercantile business and farming until the autumn of 1880, when he removed to Topeka, Kansas. Mr. Norris' first wife was Miss Mary Green, who was born near Sheffield, England, August 29, 1838, and emigrated with her parents and family about 1850 to Green County, Wisconsin. W. B. Norris and Mary Green were married October 1, 1862; lived together till May 8, 1876, when his wife died leaving a family of five children, two dead and three alive. In December 10, 1880, another child died. On February 9, 1882, W. B. Norris and his present wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Bradley, formerly of Decatur, Indiana, were married. Mrs. E. Bradley's first husband, John Bradley, died at New Orleans, March 17, 1865 in the service of his country, leaving two sons who still live with their mother. W. B. Norris' first wife was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church when married. In 1862 W. B. Norris united with the church with his wife. Mrs. Norris was a devoted, faithful member and worker in the Church while she lived. Mr. Norris' present wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and since their marriage he united with that church. Mr. N. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 74, and of the A. F. & A. M. Lodge at Dayton, Wisconsin. He has two children, a son and a daughter. Mr. Norris engaged in the grocery business here January 6, 1883.
P. G. NOEL came to Kansas in 1857. His first location was at Atchison, in which place he resided four or five years, engaged in contracting and building. In 1861, he enlisted in the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry and served in that regiment over two years, when he was discharged, and six months later, August 18, 1864, again entered the service as First Lieutenant of Company E, Seventeenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, serving in the latter regiment six months. He then spent a short time at Leavenworth, and from that place removed to Lawrence, where he resided about two years, engaged in mercantile business, in which branch of trade he has been employed for the past fifteen years in various places in Kansas - for eight years prior to removal to Topeka, at Fort Scott. In August, 1880, he came to Topeka and was for a year and a half associated with C. F. Kendall, in mercantile business when he became interested in the Topeka Mill and Elevator Co., of which he is now president. Mr. Noel is a native of Rockville, Ind., and for some time a resident of Iowa. He was married at Atchison, September 1, 1863, to Ella C. Phelps, of Bloomfield, Iowa.
JOHN NORTON, of the firm of Page, Norton & Co., was born in Springfield, Ohio, July 26, 1851, and received his education in the public schools of that city. After leaving school he learned the trade of pattern-maker, which he followed for four years. He was subsequently manager of a linseed oil mill in his native place, until May, 1881, when he came to Kansas. In July of the same year he became a member of the firm Page, Norton & Co. He is financial and office manager of the firm, and also has control of the sales department.
MILO NORTON removed from Pennsylvania to Kansas in the fall of 1871, locating in Topeka in September, and removing his family the following November. Since his arrival he has been continuously employed in insurance and loan business, being one of the first loan agents in the city. He is now local agent for the Northwestern Life Insurance. Mr. Norton was born in Homer, Cortland Co., N. Y., August 19, 1818; in 1830 he removed from his native town to Erie County, Pa., then in 1847, to Maysville, N. Y., and again in 1854 to Meadville, Pa. In the fall of 1862 he went to Greenville, Mercer Co., Pa., where he remained until his removal to Topeka. He was married in Conneaut Township, Ohio, September 9, 1862, to Mary Winsor, a native of Westfield, Chautauqua Co., N. Y. They have three children, Frances Anna, Hattie C. and Frederick A. Mr. Norton is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, having been connected with it since January, 1836; for the last eleven years as district steward of First Church, Topeka, and steward twenty years out of the last twenty-five years.
FREDERICK ORTMAN, jeweler, settled in Topeka in May, 1857, and engaged in repairing watches and jewelry. He commenced in dealing in jewelry before the war, and has continued in the same business since, having been longer in the business in the city than any other person. He was born in Prussia November 28, 1832, and came to America about 1853. He remained in New Jersey a year and a half, in New Hampshire a year and a half, and in Chicago a little over a year before coming to Topeka. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, N. Y., and of the Turner Society.
JOHN G. OTIS, farmer and dairyman, resides southeast of town, just over the bridge across Shunganunga Creek, on Fifteenth street east; was born in Danby, Rutland Co., Vt., February 10, 1838; was educated at Manchester, Bennington Co., Vt., from whence he emigrated to Kansas in the spring of 1859 and located at Topeka, and engaged in the practice of law. Being an Abolitionist he became deeply interested at the outbreak of the Civil War, and aided, at an early period, in helping to organize the first regiment of colored troops against much opposition and prejudice. He was a member of the volunteer infantry company that went out from Topeka to the Missouri border at the time of the Price raid. On the 4th of September, 1865, he was married at Glen's Falls, N. Y., to Miss Bina A. Numan of that place. They have three children living, Daniel, Foster and Alida. In the spring of 1866 he purchased a half interest in the quarter section of land on which he now resides, and from that time has been mostly engaged in farming; was for two years business agent for the Kansas State Grange P. of H., and has been an earnest member of the Order from its organization. In the spring of 1878 he turned his attention especially to the milk business; beginning with a dairy of twelve cows, he now has over sixty; runs two milk wagons, and is selling, at retail, from seventy-five to one hundred gallons of milk per day; uses horse-power to cut most of his hay and other fodder and mixes his bran and other grain up in the cut feed and finds it economy so to do; uses the Cooley Creamer for cooling his milk, and prizes it very highly. Prior to, and during the war, Mr. Otis was a Black Republican, but is now a member of the National Greenback party.
H. PAGE, M. D. passed through the Territory in 1859 on his way to Pike's Peak; located in Perryville, Jefferson County, in 1872, and remained there in practice until July 1, 1872, when he came to Topeka; was born London, England, January 12, 1842, and attended school until he was seventeen when he came to America alone. Stopping first at New Orleans, spent several years in traveling and finally located in Clarinda, Iowa, and read medicine in the offices of Drs. Barrett and Runbaugh; from there went to Omaha, Neb., and remained a year and removed to Fairfield, Iowa, where, by his own exertions, he earned money to attend lectures at the Keokuk Medical College; from Keokuk he went to Macon County, Mo., where he commenced the practice of medicine, and remained until 1872, the last two years living in Macon City; from there he came to Perry, Kan., and remained until the following spring, when he went to Lawrence and built a small steamboat called the Ida; returned to Perry, built a small steamboat of ten tons burden and capacity for fifty passengers called the Perry Belle; finally took her down to the Missouri River, when she sank about three miles above Glasgow; returned to Jefferson County where he has since remained until coming to Topeka; followed the sea for three years when a boy, and when he made his trip to Pike's Peak, went on to Salt Lake City, a journey at that time of perils and hardship; was married June 5, 1879, at Wausawkee, Jefferson Co., Kan., to Miss Ellen Hays, who was born in Andrew County, Mo., and resided afterward at Albany, Clinton Co., Ky.; is a member of the Valley Falls Lodge No. ---, A. O. U. W. Dr. Page is one of the self-made men of Kansas; having commenced his profession when quite young with nothing to rely on but his own industry and integrity with which he has moulded his present prosperity.
THOMAS PAGE came to Kansas in March, 1871, and located at Topeka, where he engaged in the milling business. He acted as foreman of the Shawnee Mills until 1879, when he and Willis Norton purchased the Inter-Ocean Mills. July 1, 1880, John Norton became associated with them under the firm name of Page, Norton & Co. Mr. Page was born in Frith County, Scotland, September 3, 1843, and came to America in March, 1866. He resided in Saratoga, N. Y., for three years, then at Rockford, Ill., until he came to Kansas in 1871. He was married in Mount Vernon, Westchester Co., N. Y., March 3, 1880, to Jessie E. McLintock, a native of Scotland. They have one child, David. Mr. Page is a member of the Congregational Church.
ALPHEUS PALMER, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Topeka; owns 100 acres, all under cultivation; makes a specialty of raising onions and potatoes, also general farming and stock feeding; came to Kansas in August, 1856, joining Col. Harvey's Company of Free-State men of Lawrence, and was with them at the engagements at Hickory Point, September 14, 1856, where they captured a body of North Carolinians, using cannon to dislodge them from a log house and blacksmith shop; but his company was captured the same night by United States Cavalry under Col. George P. Cooke, who turned them over to the border ruffian authorities at Lecompton, and where they were kept some time in jail at Tecumseh, but he being in charge of the wounded made his escape. Mr. Palmer was born in Washington County, Ohio, February 8, 1831; moved to Iowa in 1855 and from there to Kansas. Married December 25, 1859, to Miss Martha Ann Harris. They have two children, James H. and Jessie Fremont. February 9, 1872, his wife died; he was married again November 22, 1877, to Miss Arabelle J. Eaton. Mr. Palmer is a member of the I. O. O. F., and also of the Patrons of Husbandry.
GEORGE PALMER, undertaker, was born in the parish of Westonzoyland, Bridgewater, Somerset, England, March 1, 1847. He left home for America, February 19, 1868; resided one year in Waukegan, Lake Co., Ill., then removed to Chippewa Falls, Wis., where he remained until November, 1871, when he first came to Kansas, locating at Augusta, Butler County; after about one year's residence there he returned to Europe spending about six months visiting friends and relations in England and Wales; May 15, 1873, he came to Topeka, and this has been his home since that time. He was married in this city, May 20, 1874, to Cordelia Frost, a native of England, born in Kent, near the city of London. They have one child, Paul. Mr. Palmer is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery; he is also connected with the Forresters and St. George Societies; he has been connected with the business of an undertaker ever since his youth; his ancestors for over 200 years having carried on the same business. He carries much the largest stock in Kansas, largely supplying the smaller dealers in the State; he is generally known in Kansas as George B. Palmer, he having adopted the middle letter "B." to avoid confusion which ensued on account of several gentlemen of the name George Palmer, living at Chippewa Falls, while he was a resident of that place. At the beginning of this sketch, we give the name as it is registered in the parish church of his native place.
LUTHER PALMER, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Topeka. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1857, and first located in Williamsport Township. Came to this place in 1877. Has been Constable and member of the school board. Was in the State militia during the Price raid and in the Locust Grove fight in Missouri, and was captured, but made his escape three days after. He was born in Washington County, Ohio, April 27, 1829. Moved to Iowa in 1855, and came from there to Kansas. He was married March 29, 1855, to Miss Lydia L. Chapman. They have five children living - Maggie L., Horace G., Olive M., Charles S., Julia R. Two children dead - Mary J. and Laura A. Mr. Palmer is a member of the I. O. O. F. Is also a member of the Universalist Church.
CHARLES W. PARKS, retired, was born in Grafton, Vt., August 21, 1823; removed to Adrian, Mich., in the spring of 1844, where he resided for twelve years, and where, in April, 1851, he married Miss Mary Gilman; from here he removed to Bryan, Ohio, where he continued to reside until his removal to North Topeka, in 1866. At the time of his arrival in Kansas, the Kansas Pacific Railway was in the process of construction, and the men came into North Topeka every night from the end of the track; one train a day, consisting of one passenger and one baggage car, ran to this point from Kansas City. Mr. Parks built and occupied the first house completed in North Topeka; some of the lumber used in it costing him $105 per thousand feet; it had to be hauled by wagons from Leavenworth. Mr. Parks conducted a hotel or boarding house and restaurant, furnishing meals for the train, etc., and also worked for four years in the freight department of the railroad; continued in the boarding business until the fall of 1882; was a member of the school board for seven years, and a member of the Topeka City Council four years. To cast his first vote in Kansas he had to go to Indianola, as there was no voting place in North Topeka;' the river was crossed by a pontoon bridge, which had to be taken up every time of high water. Mr. Parks has been a witness of the whole growth of North Topeka, and of Topeka from a very small village to a very flourishing city of 25,000 inhabitants. He has one child, Adelbert W., born July 6, 1852, now married and residing at North Topeka, and engaged as train dispatcher for the A. T. & S. F. R. R.
G. F. PARMELEE, was born in Almond, Allegany Co., N. Y., May 2, 1842. He resided in Allegany and Chautauqua counties until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the army and served as Commissary Sergeant of the One Hundredth and Twelfth New York Volunteer Infantry for a year, and for nearly the same time in the Paymaster's department of the Army of the Mississippi. In 1863 he went to St. Louis where he was employed in a bank until he came to Topeka in the spring of 1872 and engaged in banking and loan business. Mr. Parmelee became vice-president of the National Loan and Trust Co. in 1875, and at the death of Mr. Haywood in 1878, became president and still holds that office; besides the care of his banking business, Mr. Parmelee gives much attention to the interests of his large farm property, and deals in real estate to some extent. He is a director of the Tom Moore Mining Company; a director and secretary of the Topeka Library Association, and secretary and director of the Topeka Land and Water Power Company.
E. R. PARTRIDGE, carpenter and joiner, No. 334 Kansas avenue, came to Kansas first in 1844, remaining but a short time, and finally came in 1866. He enlisted in 1861 at Janesville, Wis., in Company E, Third Wisconsin Cavalry; came to St. Louis and Leavenworth; was appointed and commissioned Second Lieutenant and Recruiting Officer Fifth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, by Gov. Carney; he was discharged in Leavenworth. Was born in Madison County, N. Y., August 8, 1824; removed to Allegany County and remained until eighteen years of age; then moved to Rock County, Wis.; enlisted in the Mexican War; returned to Wisconsin and resided there before coming to Kansas. He has been twice married; first to Miss Ann L. Lyons in 1846; they had three boys, William W., Delano G., and Edwin, all of whom reside in Wisconsin. He was married again December 22, 1875, to Miss Nellie M. Battorff; they have one child, Minnie; he is a Republican.
J. L. PATTERSON, farmer and dealer in horses, came to Kansas in 1875 and located at Atchison, where he remained two years in transfer business; afterwards sold goods for John Perkins on the Central Branch K. P. R. R.; enlisted in the army in the spring of 1862, at Clarinda, Iowa, in Company F, Twenty-third Iowa; was with his command at Grand Gulf, Champion's Hill, Magnolia Church, Black River Bridge, Milliken's Bend, Vicksburg, Spanish Fort, Fort Blakely, Ala., West Plains, Mo., Little Rock, Pattersonville, La., and a number of other battles; was mustered out in August, 1865; was born August 2, 1832, in Knox County, N. Y.; remained in his native county until five years of age, and moved with his parents to Butler, Ohio, where he remained five years and moved to Jackson County, Ind., and remained until twenty-two years of age, engaged in farming, and then moved to Montgomery County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until coming to Kansas; was married in 1852, in Jackson County, Ind., to Miss Elizabeth Discombes, a native of Butler County, Ohio; they had five children, Laura A., Olive, Lydia, Jane, and Lu. Mrs. Patterson died in 1869, in Villisca, Iowa; Mr. Patterson was married again in April, 1871; to Miss Emma Gourlay, at Villisca, a native of Washington County, Pa.; they have three children, Kate Cora M., and George; is a member of the G. A. R., Villisca, Iowa.
J. D. PATTISON of the firm of Cline & Pattison, hardware merchants, North Topeka. Was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, in May, 1842. After completing his education he was engaged in teaching in his native State until 1867, when he removed to Lawrence, Kansas, where he taught for one year, afterward being employed as a teacher at Valley Falls until 1870 when he discontinued teaching and settled on a farm west of Topeka, a short distance, living there until the spring of 1881, when he engaged in the hardware business. He served in Company D, Two Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, from September, 1864 until the close of the war. Mr. Pattison was married January 13, 1870, to Miss Mattie E. Sharp, of Indiana County, Pennsylvania. They have two sons and two daughters all living with their parents in North Topeka.
WILLIAM D. PAUL, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Pauline, owns 144 acres, all improved,; in addition to farming he makes a business of raising and feeding stock; has seven horses, sixty head of cattle, and forty-five hogs; was born in Ohio, August 6, 1834, and came from his native place to Kansas in the spring of 1856, locating in Topeka, and moved to this place in July, 1868; was married November 11, 1868, to Miss Hester Ann Stewart, and has five children, Maggie E., William S., Grace N., Ida F., and Carrie E.; is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. During the war Mr. P. was in the employ of the Government in the Quartermaster's department, as Wagon Master, freighting in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas and Colorado.
R. P. PAY, carriage and ornamental painter, was born in Dover, England, August 26, 1835, the following year came to America with his parents and settled in Watertown, N. Y., where he lived until 1849; he then came West and located at Madison, Wis., after two years came to Woodstock, Ill., and was married to Mrs. Ellen M. Dean, on the 20th of November, 1856, who had one daughter, Annette M. They have one son, Frank G. In August, 1862, Mr. R. P. Pay enlisted at Marengo, Ill. in Company A, Ninety-fifth Illinois Infantry, serving three years and four months; during that time he was transferred to the Forty-seventh United States Colored Infantry, holding the position of Quartermaster Sergeant, at the close of the war he was discharged by general order; he then returned to his home in Marengo, Ill., where he resided until 1866; he then went into the employ of Garrett & Lewis, Chicago as foreman of the painting department of their carriage manufactory, remaining two years; he then moved to Topeka, doing business for himself two years, and then going into the employ of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R.; he is a member of the Topeka Lodge No. 11, A. O. U. W.; and of Lincoln Post No. 1, G. A. R. Topeka.
W. W. PHILLIPS came to Kansas April 23, 1855, and located at Brownsville (now Anburn sic); he was engaged in farming until June, 1861, when he became Deputy Postmaster, and was employed as clerk in the store of Dr. C. C. Moore at Auburn; he was elected County Assessor in the fall of 1862, which office he held during 1863 and 1864, at the same time attending to outside business; in the fall and winter of 1864 he was clerking in Topeka and in 1865-66 was partner with his brother-in-law, Mr. Brown, of Auburn, in a general merchandise store. He afterward returned to Topeka and in the spring of 1868 engaged in the hardware business; the firm being T. H. Whitmer & Co. He was a member of this firm until 1873, with his brother D. W. Phillips. He carried on a farm during the summer of 1874, and in the fall commenced the grocery business under the firm name of Phillips Bros., which continued five years; since the spring of 1880 he has been associated with T. L. Stringham in real estate business. Mr. Phillips is a native of Guernsey County, Ohio; his youth was spent in Seneca Township in that county.
GEORGE R. PECK, son of Joel Munger and Amanda (Purdy) Peck, and a descendant of Wm. Peck, one of the founders of New Haven, Connecticut, was born in Cameron, Steuben Co., N. Y., May 15, 1843. He is the youngest of a family of ten children, seven of whom are living: Oscar D., Charles B., Eveline H., Adelaide C., Mary E. and Helen A. When he was about six years of age, his parents removed to Wisconsin, and settled on a farm in Palmyra, on which George spent the remainder of his childhood, attending the common schools of the town during the fall and winter until he was sixteen. He then commenced teaching, studying in the meantime, and a year later was prepared to enter college. He remained a student in Milton College, Wisconsin, three terms, teaching during his vacations. He relinquished the idea of entering an Eastern college, to enlist, under the call for 300,000 additional volunteers in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, in which he served three months. He was then promoted to First Lieutenant of Company K, Thirty-first Wisconsin Volunteers Infantry, and to Captain of same Company in June, 1864, remaining in that position until he was mustered out in July, 1865. At the close of the war he returned to Wisconsin, and commenced the study of law in the office of Hon. Charles G. Williams, of Janesville, Wisconsin. He was elected clerk of the Circuit Court in the fall of 1866, and served two years, completing his law studies during that time. After practicing in Janesville about three years, he moved to Independence, Montgomery Co., Kan., in the fall of 1871, and was appointed United States District Attorney, by President Grant, January 14, 1874, being re-appointed by President Hayes, after serving four years. Soon after his appointment as United States District Attorney, Mr. Peck moved to Topeka and formed a partnership with Thomas Ryan, afterward member of the Congress from the Third District of Kansas. Mr. J. B. Johnson was subsequently admitted to the firm, which then became Peck, Ryan & Johnson. Mr. Peck was married in 1866 to Miss Belle Burdick, of Janesville, and daughter of R. S. Burdick of that place. They have three children - Mary E. (adopted), Isabel and Charles B.