|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (PICARD - ROBINSON).
G. H. PICARD, M. D. was born in Cleveland, Ohio, August 3, 1850; resided there until he came to Topeka in July, 1869. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, in February, 1866. He served three years as County Physician of Shawnee County, and during the same period he was City Physician of Topeka. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Kansas State, Eastern District, and of the Shawnee County Medical Societies.
AUSTIN H. PIETY, general agent of the Hartford Life and Annuity Co., Safety Fund Department, came to Topeka February 3, 1882, and has been engaged in his present position since his arrival. He was born at Terre Haute, Ind., August 9, 1839, and lived there until April, 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and at the battle of Shiloh, April 6, 1862, was wounded and for a time incapacitated for active service. In the spring of 1863, he was transferred to the Seventh Indiana Cavalry, and after serving as a private three months was promoted to Sergeant Major of the regiment, and eleven months later was made Second Lieutenant of Company G. He was then detailed as Aid de Camp on the staff of Gen. Grierson; after serving in that capacity three months, he was promoted Captain of his company, and he retained that rank until he resigned, August 19, 1865. Towards the close of his service he was promoted to Major, but owing to the fact that his regiment had been depleted below the minimum number required by the Government, he never served as such. He returned to Indiana on leaving the army, and was engaged for eleven years in selling agricultural implements to dealers. He then became connected with the Adams & French Harvesting Machine Co., and had charge of their business in Kansas, Missouri and Texas, until 1879. He subsequently served two years as Deputy U. S. Marshal in Indianapolis, Ind., and Louisville, Ky., and then engaged in the employ of the Life Insurance Co., which he now represents, being located at Sedalia, Mo., and engaged in special werk sic until he came to Kansas, where he now has control of the business of the company in Kansas and Nebraska. Mr. Piety is a member of the A. O. U. W. and the G. A. R. He was married to Almeda M. Howe, a native of Minneapolis, Minn., July 14, 1877. They have one child, Roscoe C. He is the father of six children by a former marriage: William H., Mollie M., Cora A., Ulysses S., Lulu and Robert.
J. W. PLUMMER was born in Marion County, Ind., March 18, 1840. When he was three years old his parents moved to Eaton, Preble Co., Ohio, where he remained until 1868, except during a period of about sixteen months, while he was in the army. He enlisted in Company H, Third Indiana Cavalry, and served in that regiment twelve months, when he was discharged on account of sickness, and after recovery, re-enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until expiration of term of service. In September, 1868, he removed to Topeka and engaged in carpenter and joiner work, which he continued about seven years, and from that time until November, 1881, was engaged in farming. In November, 1881, he formed a partnership with M. M. Eaton and Mr. Callahan, and has since that time been in the grocery business. He was married near Eaton, Ohio, December 14, 1865, to Ann Bloomfield, a native of that place. Their son, Eddie, died at the age of two years, and they have one child living, Bessie Viola. Mr. Plummer is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of I. O. O. F., and G. A. R.
C. B. POWELL, of the firm of Watt & Powell, manufacturers of and dealers in boots and shoes, North Topeka, came to Kansas with his parents when one year old, in 1861, and his father located on a homestead, about six miles from Topeka. Mr. Powell commenced as a clerk in a store, and was in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. for about two years, went into present business January 1, 1882; was born February 23, 1860, in Jackson County, Mo.
A. PRESCOTT, president of the Central Bank of Kansas, came to Kansas in February, 1872, locating in Topeka the following fall. September 1, 1874, the loan and brokers office of Prescott & Prescott was established, of which A. Prescott was senior partner. In January, 1876, F. M. Prescott retired from the firm, and in April of the same year, Willis Norton became partner. The name of the firm was then changed to A. Prescott & Co., and the banking business commenced August 1, 1876. Later, P. I. Bonebrake, George R. Pick, E. B. Prescott, and William B. Strong acquired an interest in the house. The Central Bank of Kansas, of which A. Prescott is president, was chartered January 4, 1882. Mr. Prescott was formerly a member of the grocery firm of F. M. Prescott & Co., of North Topeka; was one of the builders, and for a time was one of the directors, of the City R. R. Co. He is also one of the Sherman Stone Crushing Co., and one of the proprietors of the Topeka Omnibus and Transportation Co. He is a native of Cheshire County, N. H.
F. M. PRESCOTT, treasurer of the Bank of A. Prescott & Co., incorporated, came to Topeka in July, 1874, and about a month later engaged in banking, being associated with the grocery business at several points in Colorado and New Mexico, and, two years later, in North Topeka. He remained in this business until January, 1882, and the following July, became actively connected with the banking house of A. Prescott & Co., incorporated, as treasurer. Mr. Prescott is a native of East Jeffrey, Cheshire Co., N. H. He removed with his parents, in 1856, to Prairie City, Ill., and resided there until he came to Topeka in 1874. He was married in Topeka, September 21, 1875, to Allie McClure, a native of Mt. Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa. They have three children: Frances Pearl, Benjamin McClure and Mabel Rose.
SALMON S. PROUTY, son of Stephen and Sarah Almira (Willard) Prouty, was born in Van Buren, Onondaga Co., N. Y., July 31, 1835. He received a common school education, and at the age of sixteen years entered the office of the Phoenix Gazette. at Phoenix, Oswego Co., N. Y., as an apprentice to the printer's trade. Having thoroughly learned his trade, he removed to Illinois, and in February, 1856, became a partner of Simeon Whateley in the publication of the Aurora Guardian, a Republican paper, which had been established by his partner at Aurora, Ill., several years before. The partnership was of short duration. In June, 1856, young Prouty, under the inspiration of Gen. James H. Lane, who addressed an immense mass meeting on Kansas affairs in Chicago, joined a company of Kansas emigrants and set out for the then exciting field of strife. The party was the same that ascended the Missouri on the "Star of the West," and was turned back by the Missouri brigands, who at that time established a blockade of the Missouri River to all Free-state emigrants. Mr. Prouty, on the discomfiture of the party, went to St. Louis, where he worked at his trade for a few months awaiting a more auspicious time to enter the promised land. In the fall of 1856 he joined another Kansas party, destined for the Territory by a more northern road through Iowa, afterwards known as Lane's Route. The company rendezvoused at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, from which point they started for Kansas September 25. On reaching the Kansas border, October 10, they were arrested by Col. Philip St. George Cooke, as a part of the expected army of Lane, and conducted to near where North Topeka now is, where, after an interview with Gov. Geary, they were released from arrest. Soon after Mr. Prouty's arrival, he located upon a claim, in Douglas County, three miles south of Prairie City, and during the winter of 1856 and '57, worked in the printing office of the Herald of Freedom, Lawrence, of which Hon. Preston B. Plumb, now a United State Senator from Kansas, was then the foreman. He soon became known as one of the most fearless and outspoken Free-state advocates of the time. June 25, 1857, he issued the first number of the Freeman's Champion, at Prairie City. Its publication was continued about one year, during which time some forty numbers were issued. It was a radical and uncompromising Free-state paper, having for its motto, which it certainly lived and died by, "Liberty or death." He was the first Free-state Clerk and Register of Deeds of Douglas County, to which office he was elected October, 1857. He held these offices until March, 1859, at which time he resigned, with the intention of establishing a paper in the new mining region about Pike's Peak, at El Paso, now Colorado City. He issued the prospectus of the El Paso Miner, but promised assistance in the enterprise not forthcoming, the paper never appeared. In September, 1859, he commenced the publication of the Neosho Valley Register, at Burlingon, Coffey County. He ran the paper until June 21, 1862, at which time he entered the service, being commissioned by Secretary Stanton as Regimental Quartermaster of First Regiment of Indian Home Guards. His arduous and faithful services during the succeeding two years are detailed in the military history of the State and in the history of Coffey County. At the close of his army services he returned to Burlington and started the Kansas Patriot, which is still one of the leading papers of the State. His connection with this paper ceased in January, 1869, at which time he was chosen State Printer, being the first elected to that office, which had been recently created. He held the office for four years, being re-elected in 1871. On his removal to Topeka, where the duties of his office required him, he again became interested in journalism. May 1, 1869, in connection with Maj. J. B. Davis, he issued the first number of the Kansas Daily Commonwealth. This paper now, and ever since its establishment, is the leading Republican journal of Kansas. It remained under his editorial management until August, 1873. Since that date, and up to the present time, he has been engaged in literary and journalistic pursuits, being, from October 1, 1877, to November 1, 1881, the editor and publisher of the Junction City Union. During Mr. Prouty's long and honorable career in Kansas, his fellow-citizens have testified to his worth by the bestowal of many offices of trust and honor. He was State Printer four years, 1869 to 1873; Director of the State Normal School, Emporia, four years, 1866 to 1870; and has held numerous other offices of trust. He was one of the Republican delegates to the Chicago National Convention, which nominated Gen. Grant for President in 1868. He has also been identified with the development of the railroad system of the State, as appears in the general history. His acknowledged literary and journalistic ability has placed him among the foremost editors and writers in the State; and his long identification with the many enterprises looking to the development and progress of the State, marks him as one of Kansas's staunchest friends, and as one of the people's most disinterested benefactors. Mr. Prouty was married at Lawrence, Kas., May 31, 1858, to Miss Hannah Maria Whitehead, a native of New Jersey. They have had eight children - Anelia, born February 19, 1859, graduated at the college of the Sisters of Bethany, Topeka, and married Capt. Isaac Seymour in June, 1879, now a resident of Brainerd, Minn.; Franklin Greeley, born May 29, 1861; Efa, born December 23, 1862, died July 7, 1864; Sarah Eva, born April 25, 1865, married November 1, 1882, to Fred A. Healy; Bertha, born February 14, 1867; Mina, born October 16, 1870; Edna, born June 5, 1873; Lena, born September 23, 1876.
A. B. QUINTON was born in Lee County, Iowa, January 26, 1855, and received his collegiate education at the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, Mich., taking a select course in the Literary department, and graduating from the Law department in March, 1876, locating for practice in the same year at Topeka, where he was married January 25, 1882, to Georgie H. Hoffman, a native of Rochester, N. Y.
SILAS RAIN was born in Holmesburg, now a part of Philadelphia, Pa., March 5, 1828, and in 1836 removed to Ohio and located at Piqua, where his parents still reside. In 1848 he went to Elkhart, Ind., and engaged in tailoring for a time, and subsequently kept hotel at Goshen and Laporte, until he removed to Kansas in the spring of 1869. Mr. Rain pre-empted the last piece of government land left in Shawnee County, and engaged in farming for about six months, and in 1871 located at Topeka, and opened a livery business on the north side of Sixth avenue, continuing his business in that location until October, 1876. He is now on the south side of the same avenue, and engaged in the same business, having built in 1882 a fine and complete brick stable, with all modern conveniences for the comfort and safety of the horses. Mr. Rain was married at Elkhart, Ind., June 22, 1850, to Minerva A. Snow, a native of Chautauqua County, N. Y. They have buried both their children, Frank and Ella. Frank died in 1861, aged two and a half years, and Ella R., wife of George W. Crane, died April 13, 1881, aged twenty-seven years and nearly three months.
B. F. RAWSON, of the firm of Rawson & Smith, grocers, North Topeka, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., November 17, 1836, that being his home until 1868. During the period prior to this date, however, he served in the army and visited California. He served in the army with honor until the close of the war, contracting disease while in the service from which he has never recovered. From 1865 to 1868 he lived in Boston, Mass., most of the time, being there to recruit his health. He has traveled extensively through the States and Territories, visiting Pike's Peak, Col., and many other Rocky Mountain points in 1854, going to California the same year. He moved to North Topeka in the spring of 1868, having been married that spring to Miss C. E. Spaulding, of Hancock, N. H. Mr. R. was successfully engaged in farming until he sold out in May, 1882. At that time he engaged in his present business, which is proving very successful under his able management. He has been a member of the A. F. & A. M. since 1867. He is also a member of the G. A. R. and is a Good Templar and a Universalist.
J. W. REDDEN, M. D. was born at Bridgeville, Sussex Co., Delaware, August 30, 1834. He received his education at the academy at Georgetown, in his native county, and at Dicksinson College, Carlisle, Pa., and pursued his medical studies at Jefferson Medical College, from which he graduated in March, 1857. In August of the same year he removed to Wapella, De Witt Co., Ill., where he resided for three years. He then removed to Shawneetown, Gallatin Co., Ill. making that his home until 1879. During the war he had charge of the Post Hospital of the Fifty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and the Sixth Illinois Cavalry, before those regiments entered actual service, and was for several days on the field at Pittsburg Landing after the battle. Dr. Redden came to Topeka in May, 1879, and about three months after his arrival formed a partnership with Dr. D. C. Jones, which continues at the present time. He is a member of the Kansas State Medical Association, of the Eastern District Medical Society, and of the Topeka Academy of Medicine and Surgery. He also belongs to the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W., being one of the select knights of the latter Order. Since coming to Topeka he has invested quite extensively in real estate. He is a director and vice president of the Topeka Land Company. He was married at Shawneetown, Ill., June 4, 1861, to Emma L. Jones, a native of that place and daughter of John T. Jones, a banker. They have three children - Miriam, Ruth and Lee.
C. B. REED, dentist, located in Sterling, Rice Co., Kan., October, 1878, whence he removed to Topeka, in May, 1881. He was born in Fairmount, Marion Co., W. Va., May 17, 1857, and resided in his native town until the fall of 1870, when he removed to Peoria, Ill., and from that place to Sterling, Kan. Mr. Reed has been engaged in the study and practice of dentistry since 1872. He is a member of the Kansas State Dental Society, and A. F. & A. M.
GEO. W. REED was born in Portland, Me., December 12, 1844. He was educated in the public schools of his native city. At the age of seventeen he left school and enlisted as a soldier in the Fourteenth Regiment of Maine Infantry. He followed the fortunes and dangers of his regiment, as a brave young soldier should - with Gen. Butler to New Orleans, then under Sheridan under his brilliant and arduous campaigns in the Shenandoah Valley. His term of three years having expired, he was discharged in January, 1865. He afterward enlisted in Hancock's First Corps, and received his final discharge from army service, April 16, 1866. Returning to civil life, he engaged in mercantile business in Portland until 1871, at which time he removed to Chicago, and engaged for a time in the real estate business. While a resident of that city, he first became interested in the publishing and journalistic business. He published two magazines, and, for a season was the publisher of the Chicago Weekly Globe. While a resident of the city he gained the confidence of the citizens and his party (Republican), and was elected a representative to the Illinois Legislature of 1876-77, from the Fourth Assembly District, within the limits of the city of Chicago. In the summer of 1877, he came to Topeka, where he has since made his home, having become successfully identified with the journalism of the State. He bought, February 28, 1878, the Topeka Blade, which, under its new name The State Journal, through his able management has become one of the leading daily journals of the State. Mr. Reed married Miss Lillie W. Scagell, of Portland, Me., September 27, 1869. They have four living children - Geo. W., Jr. (born in Portland, Me., Feb. 9, 1871), Willie (born in Chicago, Ill., June 8, 1875), Grace Frances (born in Topeka, Kan., January 15, 1879), Hazelle, (born in Topeka, Kan., July 11, 1881).
JOHN S. RHODES, dealer in groceries and provisions, residence 269 Tyler street, came to Kansas in April, 1880, from Wilmington, Delaware. Was born January 29, 1848, in Manchester, England, and his father came to America when he was eighteen months old and settled in Rhode Island. His father was a dyer and manufacturer of woolen goods, at which young Rhodes worked until he was of age. Went to Worcester, Mass., and learned the carpenter trade. From there he went to Chester, Pa., and was in the employ of John B. Roach, the great American ship builder. In 1877 Mr. Rhodes went to South America, and superintended the launching of a vessel for the Panama Railroad Company. Remained there seven months, and while the trip there proved successful financially, it came near costing him his life, as he was stricken down with Chagres fever, from the effects of which he has not yet fully recovered. Visited his native place in England in 1874. Mr. Rhodes owns the property where he is doing business, and has erected a handsome dwelling at 269 Tyler street, at a cost of $2,000. Was married May 3, 1879, at Wilmington, Del., to Mrs. Anna M. Brown, of the same place, who had two children - Robert and Willie.
COL. JOHN RITCHIE was born in Uniontown, Muskingum Co., Ohio, July 17, 1817. His parents removed to Westchester when he was a year and a half old, and he resided there and in Butler County until he was thirteen. He then lived in Columbus, Ind., and afterwards at Greensburg and Franklin until the fall of 1854, when he visited Leavenworth, Lawrence and Kansas City. March 12, 1855, he started again for Kansas, and April 3 arrived at Topeka, and located on Section 6, Town 12, Range 16, which is still his residence. He pre-empted a quarter section, and engaged in farming, and in building the Ritchie Block, where the first State Legislature met, the first brick block in the city. Mr. Ritchie was a member of the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention, and of the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention. He was an active participant in the troubles of 1856, and was for a time a Free-state prisoner in Lecompton Prison. During the war he enlisted as a private in Company A, Fifth Kansas Cavalry (Lane's Guards) of which he was made Captain after its organization. He was commissioned by the General Government to raise an Indian regiment, and was Colonel of the regiment (Second Indian), and was breveted Brigadier-General two weeks before the close of the war. Mr. R. donated the land upon which Washburn College is located, to that institution, during his early residence in Topeka. He was identified with the Free-state cause from the first, and was a friend and ardent admirer of John Brown, assisting him to escape from an attacking party when he was leaving in Kansas after his last visit, and sharing his bed the last night he spent in the State. He was married in Franklin, Ind., January 16, 1838, to Mary J. Shelleday, who died October 18, 1880, leaving two children - Hale and John, Jr. Mr. R. was again married at Franklin, Ind., October 27, 1881, to Mrs. Hannah Beall, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Mr. R. is a member of the A. F. & A. M.
BYRON ROBERTS, cashier of the Topeka Bank, came to Topeka in June, 1870, and became connected with the Topeka Bank as assistant cashier, which position he held about five years, when he was elected cashier. He is a native of Newcomerstown, Ohio. Has resided at Loami, Sangamon Co., Ill., some four years and also at Columbus, Ohio, where he was Chief Clerk of the United States Pension Office. He attended Madison College. His father, Lewis Roberts, was a civil engineer, helping to locate the Ohio Canal. Mr. Roberts was married at New Comerstown, Ohio, December 23, 1858, to Gertrude Dent, of Birmingham, Ohio. They have five children - Louis D., Carrie A., George S., Gertrude M. and Mary B. Mr. Roberts is secretary of the Topeka Water Supply Company. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Lodge No. 17.
A. A. ROBINSON, chief engineer Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. R. R., was born in Reading, Windsor Co., Vt., October 21, 1844; his parents moved to Wisconsin about 1855, settling in Edgerton, Rock County, Wis. In 1865 he entered the University of Michigan where he took a full course, making a special study of civil engineering and the sciences, graduating in 1869 with the degrees of C. E. and B. S., three years later receiving the degree of M. S. from his Alma Mater. While pursuing his studies at college, or during the summers of 1866-67, and '68, he was connected with the United States Lake Survey. In May, 1869, he accepted a position as civil engineer of the St. Joseph & Denver R. R., while holding that position making the survey between St. Joseph, Mo. and the junction with the Union Pacific R. R. First became connected with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe R. R. in April, 1871, and was appointed to present position about 1873.