William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 31] [part 29] [Cutler's History]


LESLIE MAXWELL, real estate, loan and insurance attorney, came to Topeka in October, 1868, and resided in the city until 1874, being engaged in real estate business during that time. He then returned to Pennsylvania and remained there until he again came to Topeka, in September, 1880, since which time he has been engaged in real estate business in connection with Isaac T. Lockard since August, 1881. He was born in Butler County, Pa., June 23, 1846, that place remaining his home until he came to Kansas. After his return from Pennsylvania he was in practice at Beatrice, Neb., for two years. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and K. of H. He was married in Austin, Ill., May 4, 1882, to Julia E. Wallace.

MAJOR GEORGE MERRILL, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Topeka; owns 120 acres, fifty-five acres cultivated, and sixty-five acres in meadow and pasture; came to Kansas in the fall of 1868, and settled near Topeka, and located on his present place in 1879. Was Receiver in the United States Land Office in Topeka, from April, 1871, until April, 1875, and has been a member of the School Board continuously since coming to Kansas. Entered the army in September, 1862, as First Lieutenant of Company G, Second Missouri Cavalry, better known as Merrill's Horse, commanded by his brother Lewis Merrill, an officer in the Regular Army. He was on detached service continuously, acting as a Provost Marshal and Judge Advocate of the Northeast District of Missouri, with brevet rank of Major. After eighteen months' service he resigned, and went to his home in Pennsylvania. He was born in Pennsylvania August 10, 1829; moved to Iowa in 1867, and from thence to Kansas. He was married January 23, 1856, to Miss Sarah S. Hilbish. They have five children living - James, Calvin, Katherine, Paul and Emily; and four dead - Mary, Edward, Lillie, and George. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

HON. D. C. METSKER was born in Baughman Township, Wayne Co., Ohio, May 25, 1831. When he was nine years old, his parents moved to Cass County, Ind., and settled on a farm four miles from Logansport. He lived on the farm, attending the schools in the vicinity and the academy of Logansport, until the spring of 1853, when he removed to Kokomo, Ind., and was employed as a clerk in a mercantile house one year. He then commenced the study of law with Lindsey & Harrison, and was admitted to the bar in Indiana in 1856. He commenced practice in Kokomo, and continued until 1858, when he was elected County Recorder, and while holding that position was also County School Examiner two years. In 1861 he was appointed Deputy United States Revenue Collector, but in 1862, being elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, resigned the former position. He was Clerk of the Court until 1866, and from that time until he came to Kansas, in 1868, was actively engaged in practice. He located in Topeka in November, 1868, being that year contingent Elector of the Presidential ticket in Indiana. In 1872, he was elected Probate Judge, and re-elected in 1874. In 1876 he was elected State Senator, and re-elected in 1880, having been engaged more or less in the practice of his profession, from the time of his locating in Topeka until 1878. Judge Metsker was married near Logansport, Ind., in October, 1852, to Mary McDowell, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Metsker died June 23, 1882, leaving one child, Mary Edith, sixteen years of age. Another daughter, Ada B. (Mrs. P. H. Adams) died May 30, 1881. Mr. Metsker is now engaged in real estate and mining operations, the latter being principally in Colorado. He has laid off three additions to the city of Topeka, known as Metsker's First, Second and Third Additions, all being east of the original city. He has also erected many buildings in the city and been prominent and generous in forwarding its public interests. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F., having been through subordinate offices of the latter and filled all the chairs of the encampment, and grand encampment of the State.

BRADFORD MILLER was born in Alliance, Stark Co., Ohio, August 26, 1840. He is the son of Rev. John B. Miller. He was educated at Mount Union College, Stark County, Ohio, and taught school more or less during his early years of manhood. He enlisted in May, 1862, in Company G, Eighty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, returning in October of the same year. He subsequently served until the close of the war, as Deputy Marshal of the Seventeenth Congressional District of Ohio. He was afterwards, while in Ohio, connected with the freight department of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh R. R. He first came to Kansas in July, 1868, and removed his family the following October, making Topeka his home. He engaged in the real estate business until October, 1880. He was County Commissioner four years, from January 12, 1874, to January, 1878. In March, 1878, he was appointed City Assessor of Topeka, and made the assessment of that spring. He was elected County Treasurer in November, 1879, and is the present incumbent of that office. Mr. Miller has held a long and honorable affiliation with the Masonic Order. He was, before coming to Kansas, W. M. of Alliance Lodge No. 271, C. H. of Alliance Chapter No. 83, and C. of G. of Alliance Council R. & S. M. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Miller was married in Columbiana County, Ohio, March 10, 1864, to Miss Harriet M. Summers, a native of that county. They have five children - Minnie S., Henry O., Martha, Mary and an infant son.

JOHN A. MILLER, dealer in boots and shoes, came to Kansas in March, 1871; worked as check clerk for the Kansas Pacific Railroad Company for five years, in North Topeka. Was born January 18, 1843, in Stark County, Ohio. Remained in native State until coming to Kansas. Enlisted in Eighty-seventh Ohio Volunteers, Company G, June, 1863. Was most of the time in Virginia. Was in the service four months. Was married March 4, 1870, at North Benton, Mahoning Co., Ohio, to Eliza J. Boohecker, of that place. Have three children living - Cora M., Rosa C. and Leslie G. Mr. Miller was personally acquainted with the late President Garfield, having lived in his Congressional District, and having heard him preach. Is a member of Golden Rule Lodge A., F. & A. M., No. 90; Eugene Lodge I. O. O. F., No. 79, and Kansas Lodge, K. of H., No. 788. Is also a member of the Presbyterian Church of North Topeka.

REV. J. G. MILLER was born near the Rhine, in 1834, at a place called Munzinger, Prussia. His father, a shepherd, led a party of colonists to Perry County, Ind., where he purchased a large tract of land. Rev. Mr. Miller was graduated at Georgetown College, Kentucky, and then went to the University of Berlin, Prussia, where he finished his education. His father was a Roman Catholic and disinherited his son when he became a Baptist. Mr. Miller was pastor of the Baptist Church, at Louisville, Ky., for three years. He afterward moved to Missouri for the benefit of his health, and finally in 1858 he settled in Kansas, near Topeka, where he bought a tract of land known as the "Miller Farm." In May, 1859, he married Miss Nancy Jane Jackson, daughter of Rev. John Jackson, a missionary of the Baptist Southern Board, then located at Marion, Ala. At the breaking out of the war, this Mission property, through the influence of Mr. Miller and his father-in-law, was transferred to the Northern Board, and is now known as the "Bob Lee" farm. Mr. Miller is now extensively engaged in stock-raising. Soon after he came to Kansas he organized a membership and built a very neat stone church at Silver Lake. His nearest neighbors for many years were the Pottawatomie Indians, with whom he always maintained very friendly relations. When the country became settled, he was the first School Trustee, and Mrs. Miller was the first School Treasurer of this town. He became the prime mover in the organization of the Township of Dover; also the Mission Township of Dover, Shawnee County. Mr. Miller has had two children, both of whom died some years since. They now have an adopted orphan child.

[image of H. C. Miner] HENRY C. MINER, physician and surgeon, has resided in Kansas since 1871. In August of that year he located at Hiawatha, Brown County, and remained there until July, 1878, when he removed to Topeka and engaged in practice for one year at the corner of Sixth and Kansas avenues. He was then in Wyandotte, Kan., one year, after which he returned and located in North Topeka. Dr. Miner is a native of Sterling, Cayuga Co., N. Y. He was born in June, 1842, and came to Huntington County, Ind., with his parents in 1844. He began teaching in the public schools of that county at the age of nineteen and read medicine with F. S. C. Grayston, of Huntington, Ind. He attended his first course of lectures at Chicago Medical College, in 1864-'65, after which he began practice at Laketon, Wabash Co., Ind., where he remained four years, then removed to Roanoke, Ind., and practiced there till August, 1871. In 1874, he returned to Chicago Medical College, where he graduated in 1875. He belongs to the A. O. U. W. and to the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Commandery, and is W. M. of Golden Rule Lodge, No. 90, A., F. & A. M. of Topeka. He is a member of the State Medical Society, the Kansas Eastern District Medical Society, and of the Board of Health of the city of Topeka. Dr. Miner was married at Wyandotte, Kan., in November, 1879, to Mrs. A. M. Keating, of Akron, Ohio, his present wife.

M. R. MITCHELL, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Rush Creek Township, Logan Co., Ohio, November 10, 1835. He was educated in the public schools of his native county, and in Jefferson College, at Cannonsburg, Pa., graduating from the latter institution in 1862. In September of the same year, he enlisted in Company B, Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served eighteen months, being subsequently commissioned First Lieutenant of the Twenty-seventh United States Colored Troops. After serving in that capacity about eight months he was promoted Captain, and three months before the close of the war, raised to the rank of Major. He received a wound in the face before Petersburg, Va., shortly after the Burnside mine explosion, and was taken to the Officers' Hospital in New York. He was then in Ohio a short time, before returning to his regiment, being absent in all, about two months. In October, 1865, he returned to Ohio, and commenced the study of medicine at Bellefontaine, and in March, 1868, graduated from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati. Dr. Mitchell was married at Bellefontaine, March 10, 1868, to Mary M. Fulton, of Rushsylvania, Logan Co., Ohio. They have two children, Porter M. and Clara. Immediately after his marriage, he came to Kansas and located at Leavenworth, where he remained ten months. He then removed to Fairmount, in the same county, and there remained until 1875. In January of that year he went to Topeka as a member of the State Legislature, and in June of the same year permanently settled there. He is a member of the State Medical Society, of the Eastern District Society, and of the Academy of Medicine and Surgery, being one of the charter members of the latter society. Dr. Mitchell is a member of the G. A. R., and also an exemplary member of the Presbyterian Church.

J. W. MOHLER, with the firm of Mohler & Rector, artists and photographers, was born in Indiana, July 24, 1850. When he was quite young his parents removed to Missouri. He has since resided at various places in Missouri and Illinois, following his profession of artist and photographer; came to Topeka in the early part of 1880, since which time he has been in business in the city. In 1865, he enlisted at Peoria, Ill. in Company H, Third Illinois Infantry, as fifer, doing garrison duty at Detroit, Mich., nearly two years. He was married in 1871 at Lamar, Barton Co., Mo., to Miss Belle Niard. They have three children living - Woodruff, Newton and Russell. He is a member of K. of P. Lodge at Nevada, Mo.

HON. RICHARD B. MORRIS was born in Springfield, Mass., August 3, 1833; educated in the schools of his native State, employed in civil engineering as early as 1849, afterwards completing a thorough course in that profession, at one of the leading schools of that important science, becoming thoroughly skilled in the details of that branch of knowledge, afterwards following the profession of civil engineer, being connected with the construction of some of the leading railroads of New York, Connecticut, Ohio, Mississippi, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. In the summer of 1866, he located at Atchison. During the construction of the Central Branch of the Union Pacific R. R., he acted as its general agent; for four years he was general agent of the Missouri Pacific R. R. Co. at Atchison; then for two years he was connected with K. C., St. J. & C. B. R. R. He has an interest in a wholesale and retail hardware establishment at Atchison, at the present time. In January, 1883, he was appointed by Governor Glick, and confirmed by the Senate, for the position of Superintendent of Insurance, assuming the duties of that important office, July 1, 1883. He was a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions which convened at Baltimore and Cincinnati, and was a member of the committee, selected by the convention, to formally convey to General Hancock, notice of his nomination to the presidency. He was an alternate delegate to the St. Louis Convention which nominated Samuel J. Tilden for president. Mr. Morris has been one of the most active and efficient members of the Democratic State Committee of Kansas continuously since 1870. Mr. Morris is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery; he is also connected with the K. of P., K. of H. and A. O. U. W. He was formerly a director of the Atchison Savings Bank. Mr. M. was married at Adrian, Mich., June 20, 1859, to Mary E. Ripley, a native of New Hampshire, but reared in Springfield, Mass. They have four children - Richard H., Edward R., John B. and Mary L.

G. M. MORROW, M. D. was born in Mifflin County, Pa., December 14, 1817. He was educated at Academia, Juniata Co., Pa. He studied law one year; then began the study of medicine. In 1848 he removed to Indiana, where he resumed his studies, and finished his medical education; commenced practice as a physician and surgeon in Carroll County, Ind.; remained in that State until 1869, when he removed to Shawnee County, Kansas, where he has since resided, practicing his profession. He was appointed physician of the county poorhouse which position he held about five years. He was married May 22, 1856 to Caroline P. Mahurin. They have six children, five daughters and one son. The oldest daughter is married to Mr. L. T. Gage, ex-Superintendent of Shawnee County schools. The other children reside with their parents. Dr. Morrow was for one year a teacher in the Institute from which he graduated.

W. A. MORTON, dealer in agricultural implements, came to Topeka in October, 1879, and until October 1, 1881, was employed in the storehouse offices of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. He then purchased the business of J. E. O'Brien, and engaged in his present business, doing some jobbing, but principally a retail business, handling the farm machinery made by N. C. Thompson of Rockford, Ill., and the celebrated O'Brien wagons and carriages, manufactured by O'Brien Bros. Mfg. Co. in Tiffin, Ohio. Mr. M. is a native of Paris, Ohio, but, for many years prior to his removal to Topeka, was a resident of Geneseo, Ill., having moved to that city in 1860. He was married in Geneseo, Ill., December 20, 1877, to Flora Smith.

J. H. MOSS, attorney-at-law, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, and educated in the schools and academies of that county, where he also read law, and was admitted to the bar in 1869. He enlisted in Company G, Fiftieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and in December, 1862, received his discharge, and entered the United States Navy in the spring of 1863. He served one year on the "Benton" as seaman, and was then made master's mate, and went on the gunboat "Ouichita" for several months. He was then promoted mate, and assigned to duty on the gunboat "Abeona" on which he served until after the close of the war, December, 1865. From that time until he came to Topeka, March, 1869, he remained at his home in Ohio, engaged in farming, attending school, and the study of law. Since his residence in Topeka he has devoted himself to the practice of law, and to literature. J. H. Moss was married at Belmont farm, originally the Lee farm, owned by the father of Gen. Robert E. Lee, Loudon County, Va., June 23, 1873, to Laura, daughter of F. P. Stanton, formerly Secretary and Acting-Governor of Kansas Territory. Mrs. Moss was born at Memphis, Tenn., her father being member of Congress from the Memphis Congressional District several terms. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Moss are, Mabel, Ada Bessie and Stanton Cooper, all being born in Topeka.

[image of O. B. Moss] O. B. MOSS, A. B., M. D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, was born in Niagara County, N. Y. He took the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa. His medical education was acquired at the University of Michigan - allopathic - and Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College, graduating in the spring of 1870. He began practice at Ashtabula, Ohio, where he remained two years, and then moved to Zanesville, Ohio, where he was engaged in practice until 1880 when he was appointed Professor of Physiology and Microscopic Anatomy in the Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College, which chair he filled until he resigned, November 20, 1882, for the purpose of removing to Topeka, Kan. After his resignation, the faculty adopted the following resolutions: Resolved, That, inasmuch as Dr. O. B. Moss has removed to Topeka and, owing to this change of residence, has tendered his resignation as Professor of Physiology and Microscopic Anatomy in the Homeopathic Hospital College, Therefore, we, the faculty, desire to express our regret at his removal and resignation, sundering as they do, pleasant personal and professional relations. Resolved, that we fully endorse Dr. Moss as an able teacher and a skillful and honorable physician, and cordially recommend him to the confidence of the citizens of Topeka and the fellowship of the profession. N. Schneider, M. D., Dean; W. A. Phillips, M. D., Registrar."

D. A. MOULTON, cashier of the First National Bank, is a native of Ironton, Ohio, and spent his early years in that place. He was for a time engaged in fire insurance business in Cincinnati, Ohio, as adjuster, and was afterward connected with the First National Bank at Ironton, Ohio, for about seven years, severing his connection with the bank for the period of one year, to act as secretary and treasurer of the Crescent Rolling Mill Co., at Pomeroy, Ohio. In July, 1881, Mr. Moulton came to Topeka with a view of organizing a national bank. Becoming satisfied with the advantages Topeka possessed as a business center he reported to Eastern capitalists, and after a visit to the East, returned to Topeka, in December, 1881, and in connection with others, made arrangements which resulted in the organization of the First National Bank, which opened for business March, 1882. Mr. Moulton was married at Ironton, Ohio, March 2, 1875, to Alice H., daughter of George Willard, a banker of Ironton.

[image of J. Mulvane] JOAB MULVANE was born in New Comerstown, Ohio, and lived in his native town until he was about eighteen years of age, when he moved to Princeton, Ill., and engaged in farming and in mercantile pursuits - first in dry goods and later in hardware business. In 1873-74 he was a member of the Illinois State Legislature. In May, 1876, he located at Topeka, having been for some three years a stockholder in the Topeka Bank. Soon after his arrival, he was made one of the bank directors, which position he still retains. He has always been largely interested in farming and stock-raising, and owns much land in Shawnee County. Mr. Mulvane is president and general manager of the Kansas Town Co., president of Street R'y. Co., treasurer of the Topeka Telephone Exchange, treasurer and director of the State Fair Association, a director of the Elk & Chautauqua R'y. Co., a director of the Burlingame Coal and Mining Co., and a member of the board of directors of the Osage County Bank. He was married near Princeton, in Bureau Co., Ill., to Sarah A. Ross, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Mulvane have five living children, a little daughter, Hattie F., dying at the age of four years. Their remaining children are - Xenia, Adella, David W. (now a student at Yale College), William J., Maggie and John J. Mr. Mulvane is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was one of the building committee that had superintendence of the erection of the new church structure.

JOSEPH A. MUNK, M. D., physician and surgeon, is a native of Columbiana County, Ohio. He was born near Georgetown, November 19, 1847, and was a resident of Alliance, Ohio, from his early youth. He acquired his literary education at Mount Union College, Ohio, and graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, February, 1869. He commenced the practice of medicine at Lindsey, Ohio, and after a residence of two years at that place removed to Chillicothe, Mo., where he remained ten years, and from there came to Topeka in April, 1881. During that time he was elected president of the Missouri Eclectic Medical Association and vice-president of the National Eclectic Medical Association. In 1864 he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being the first recruit in his company, and was mustered out in July, 1865. In January, 1873, Dr. Munk was married near Webster, Westmoreland County, Pa., to Emma S. Beazelle, of Webster. Their only child, a daughter, died in infancy. The doctor has been a contributor to the Eclectic Medical Journal of Ohio, and the American Medical Journal of Missouri for the past ten years, also contributes articles on hygienic and sanitary topics to the home papers.

L. H. MUNN, M. D., is a native of Springfield, Mass., son of Curtis E. Munn, Captain and Surgeon U. S. A., now stationed in New Mexico. L. H. Munn was educated at Notre Dame College in Indiana, and at the Institute of Technology of Boston, Mass., three and a half years at the former institution and about two years at the latter. While in Boston, he made a special study of Chemistry, Botany, Physics, and Civil Engineering. He is a graduate from the Medical Department of the Iowa State University and also from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York. He was Acting Assistant Surgeon in the U. S. A. over a year and a half. In June, 1882, he came to Topeka. After being alone in practice for about three months, he formed a partnership with Dr. J. C. McClintock, with whom he is now associated. Dr. Munn is a member of the Eastern Kansas District Medical Society and of the Topeka Academy of Medicine and Surgery.

[image of J. R. Mulvane] JOHN R. MULVANE was born in New Comerstown, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, July 6, 1835. He is the eldest son of David and Mary Ross Mulvane. His paternal grandfather, John Mulvane, a Scotch-Irish farmer, emigrated from North Carolina to Ohio, and located near Newcomerstown, sic while the Delaware Indians were still there. He was a soldier of the Republic in the war of 1812. Mary McCune Mulvane, his grandmother, was a daughter of Ensign James McCune, a Scotchman, who also was a soldier in the war of 1812. He received from the government a patent for 112 acres of land, the reward of military service. This farm has remained in the family for three generations, and is now owned by the youngest sister of J. R. Mulvane, who also has the old parchment patent. The maternal grandfather was Rev. William Ross (a native of Cork, Ireland), who was sent from Philadelphia to the wilds of eastern Ohio as a Methodist missionary to the Indians. He lived here over forty years, when he emigrated to Ohio, Bureau Co., Ill. He died at the ripe age of ninety-seven years, having fought the good fight of an earnest disciple of our Lord Jesus. The maternal grandmother, Jane Whitaker Ross, daughter of James Whitaker, of Westchester County, Pa., is a sister of the Whitakers of Philadelphia; James Whitaker of the old Arkwright Cotton Mills, of the firm of Seifurt, McManus & Co.; Joseph, of the Phoenixville Iron Works; and George P., of Principio furnaces, of Cecil County, Md. David Mulvane, his father, was a farmer boy. He worked on the Ohio Canal, handled a wheelbarrow and shovel, and drove an ox team, He was afterward a farmer, merchant and manufacturer, and died January 8, 1877, in his native town at the age of seventy-two, leaving five sons and two daughters. His mother, Mary Ross Mulvane, still lives, hale and hearty, in the little village of New Comerstown. John R. Mulvane, when a boy, learned the tanner's trade in his father's establishment, and in his seventeenth year entered his father's general merchandise store, and followed merchandising in the town of his nativity till 1865, when he located in Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill., and there engaged in merchandising. His health failing, in 1867, he sold out and spent parts of 1867 and 1868 with his wife, also in poor health, at Kenosha Water Cure, Kenosha, Wis. While here he made the acquaintance of Col. G. W. Veale, of Topeka, Kan., and being pleased with the account he received of this country, came to Topeka, Kan., in the winter of 1868-69, where he still resides. He is president of the Topeka Bank, and connected with several minor enterprises, as the Missouri & Kansas Telephone Co., Topeka City Railway, etc. With his brothers, Hon. Joab Mulvane and D. A. Mulvane, he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. John R. Mulvane was married to Miss Hattie N. Freeman, a teacher in the schools of New Comerstown, daughter of Rev. E. W. Freeman, a Baptist minister, on July 16, 1857.

E. D. MYERS, of the firm Myers Bros., confectioners and bakers, came to Kansas in 1870, from Washington, Davis Co., Ind., and has been in business in Topeka ever since. Was born January 25, 1857, at Washington, Ind., and remained in native town until coming here. Is a member of Shawnee Lodge, No. 1, I. O. O. F., Topeka.

[TOC] [part 31] [part 29] [Cutler's History]