|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCCABE - MARTIN).
HON. E. P. McCABE, Auditor of State, the subject of this sketch, was born of humble parents in Troy, N. Y., October 10, 1850. His parents soon after moved to Fall River, Mass., remaining there a short time. They settled in Newport, R. I., where he attended the public schools. Leaving the grammar school there, he was sent to Bangor, Me., where he continued his studies until the death of his father compelled him to assist his widowed mother in the support of a brother and sister. Drifting to New York he was employed by Messrs. Shreve & Kendrick, 35 Wall street. As in the case with all colored boys he had to make various shifts, from clerk to porter. Finding all avenues in the East closed to ambitious colored young men, he decided to follow Horace Greeley's advice to go West. Getting a clerkship with Potter Palmer, the hotel king of Chicago, in 1872, he was promoted to another in the Cook County Treasury, where he remained eighteen months. Tiring of metropolitan life he floated to Kansas May 20, 1878, locating in Graham County, one of the most sparsely settled in the northwestern tier, where in company with Abram T. Hall, Jr., of Chicago - now editor of the Conservator - he was engaged in the land business with some success. As a reward for valuable services rendered in organizing the county, he was appointed first County Clerk, and afterward elected to the position, from which he was translated to Auditor of State of Kansas - one of the most significant political successes in the upward career of the race - Kansas being one of the most prosperous of the Western States. In 1880 Mr. McCabe married Miss Sarah Bryant, of Clinton, Iowa. Mr. McCabe's career is illustrative of the possibilities of self-made men, who make their impressions upon our times by sheer force of character. Mr. McCabe is still a very young man, and the successes which are possible in his life appear to us to be vast and honorable to himself and to his race. We can only hope to conquer by those qualities of head and heart by which all other men conquer.
MARGARET McCAFFERTY, proprietress of the Madison House. This house was built in 1871. The present proprietor took charge of it in 1874. It has a capacity of forty boarders, both transient and regular. Mrs. McCafferty was born in Catskill, N. Y., in 1830. Her parents, James and Eliza Gilligan, came West when she was a child, finally locating in St. Louis. She was there married, May 15, 1833, sic to John McCafferty, who was for a time engaged in steamboating; afterward engaged in mining and farming; living at Galena, Ill., and Fayette County, Iowa, several years; afterward moved to Clayton County, Iowa, where her husband died in November, 1870. Nine children were born to them, eight of whom are living - Rosa, James, Anton, Eliza, Maggie, Ella, Willie and Charlie. They are all members of the Catholic Church.
L. B. McCLINTOCK, insurance, real estate and loan agent, has resided in Kansas since 1870. He was one of the first settlers of Sedgwick County, his first location being seven miles above Wichita, where he stated sic a little town called Park city, and remained there till 1872; then located at Hutchinson, Reno County, among the first settlers, and remained there until the spring of 1873, when he emigrated to Jackson County, and engaged in stock raising until 1875. In 1876 he went into the real estate and insurance business with Thomas L. Ross, which connection was dissolved in 1880; and he went into the above business alone in 1881. He was born at McClintockville, Pa. July 14, 1848, and lived at that place until 1865. He then moved to Newcastle, Pa., and resided there until he came to Kansas. He was married at Topeka, June 6, 1871, to Miss Emma Thompson, of Juniata County, Pa. They have three children - Nellie, Edna Irene, and Arthur Thompson.
J. W. McCLURE was born March 24, 1838, in the city of Rochester, N. Y. In the spring of 1856 he removed to Iowa, remained there a year, in Cedar Falls, and then moved to Waterloo, in the same State, where he resided about twenty years, and until he came to Topeka, in June, 1877. While in Iowa he was Deputy Treasurer and Recorder, and subsequently First Recorder. Since his residence in Topeka he has been engaged in the abstract business. Mr. McClure belongs to the orders of A. F. & A. M. and K. of P.
SAMUEL S. McFADDEN has lived in Kansas since 1857. His father pre-empted a quarter section in Franklin County, and was living there at the time of the Marais des Cygnes Massacre, not far away. The father went to Missouri at the time of the drouth, in 1860, leaving Samuel behind to take care of some cattle. The young man went to such a country school as Kansas had then and worked to pay his board. But the father was a pronounced Free-state man, and was soon compelled to leave Missouri. He left there in the night, with the smaller children and household effects in a wagon. In May, 1861, and among the first, Samuel S. McFadden enlisted in the Second Kansas, and served through the Missouri campaign under Lyon and Siegel, being at Wilson Creek when Lyon was killed. He was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in October, and, in November, re-enlisted in the same regiment, which was soon changed from infantry to cavalry. Thus he served as a private soldier from the beginning of the war until April, 1865, and has two honorable discharges. McFadden was in the battles of Wilson Creek, Dug Springs, Shelbina, Old Fort Wayne, Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, Van Buren, and others of less note. He belonged to the two-gun battery of howitzers which played such an important part of Old Fort Wayne at the time the four-gun Texas Battery (afterwards Hopkin's) was captured. He received no serious wounds during four years' service as a private, and has never applied for a pension. In 1866 he was brevetted Captain "for meritorious services during the war." Capt. McFadden has been a clerk in the Adjutant-General's office, and chief clerk for the State Treasurer and State Auditor. No Judge of the Supreme Court, and no lawyer in the State, is so familiar with every law relating to our State finances as Mr. McFadden and his skill and accuracy as an accountant are unsurpassed.
N. C. McFARLAND was born seven miles south of Washington, Washington Co., Pa., April 23, 1822. He was educated at Washington College. He was an enthusiastic supporter of Henry Clay in the Presidential campaign of 1844, he stumping his native county in behalf of his candidacy. He commenced the study of law at Bucyrus, Ohio, under the instruction of Judge Josiah Scott, and became his partner at the conclusion of his studies. They removed together to Hamilton, Ohio, and the association continued until Judge Scott was elected to the Supreme bench. He was selected by Gov. Todd to act as chairman of the Butler County War Committee, in which capacity he labored faithfully to promote the cause of the Union. In 1865 he was elected by the Republican party to represent the counties of Butler and Warren in the State Senate, and was made chairman of the Judiciary Committee of that body. He was chairman of the Ohio delegation to the National Republican Convention held in Chicago in 1868. He removed to Topeka in February, 1870, and entered into the practice of law. He was elected in 1872 to the State Senate, and became chairman of the Ute Indian Commission, to ratify a treaty with that tribe, and in May, 1881, he was appointed by President Garfield, Commissioner of the General Land Office at Washington, which position he is now holding. James M. McFarland, the only surviving child of N. C., resides in Topeka, and is Assistant Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture. He was born in Hamilton, Butler Co., Ohio, April 10, 1851. He graduated from the Miami University in the class of 1870, and moved to Topeka in June of the same year when he read law in his father's office two years. In the summer of 1874 he became Chief Clerk of the State Board of Agriculture and was appointed Assistant Secretary in January, 1882. In August, 1882, he was appointed State Statistical Agent of the Department of Agriculture at Washington, and he performs the duties of that position in addition to those of the State Department. He was married in 1876, to Nellie M. Morris.
DR. J. McINTOSH, optician, was born July 26, 1809, in Huntingdon County, Pa., where he resided until twelve years old. His father having been killed in the war of 1812, his mother removed with her children to Owensville, Bath Co., Ky., where he resided until about twenty-three years old, working at shoemaking. He went to Terre Haute, Ind., working at his trade; was there married in November, 1837, to Miss Margaret Bond, who was born in Sullivan Co., Ind. They have six children living. In 1852 he moved to Bloomington, Ill., working at his trade until 1868. He then began the study of medicine, making a specialty of the diseases of the eye, taking a course of two years. In 1870 he moved to Kansas, locating first at Humboldt, afterwards residing in Emporia, Independence, and Parsons; engaged in the practice of his profession until 1881, when he removed to Topeka, where he has since resided. At the breaking out of the civil war he enlisted as a private in Company F, Thirty-ninth Illinois Infantry, serving in the Army of the Potomac, and taking part in the battles of Winchester and Fair Oaks. He was detailed as Regimental Ward Master and afterwards transferred to the General Hospital at Woodstock, Shenandoah Valley, remaining in that position until his discharge, in 1862, on account of disability brought about by exposure during the winter. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
MAJ. F. R. McKINLAY, dealer in groceries, was born in Charleston, S. C., December 20, 1845, residing there until 1879. Was there married May 7, 1873, to Miss Anna Eliza Levy. He held the office of School Commissioner of Orangeburg County, S. C., one term of two years, being commissioned December 14, 1872. Two years later he was commissioned Major and Engineer on the staff of the First Brigade, Third Division, National Guard of the State of South Carolina, holding that position until his removal to Kansas in 1879. He began merchandising soon after his arrival at Topeka. Has since continued in business, dealing in groceries, provisions, etc. his receipts being $1,000 per month. He takes an active interest in politics. Has represented his ward in County Convention, and as an alternate to the State Convention of 1882.
JOHN A. McLAUGHLIN, gunsmith, Kansas avenue, was born in Indianapolis, Ind., September 27, 1826, and claimed that place as his residence until he moved to Kansas, in 1868. Served in the Mexican War as Orderly Sergeant, Company D, in the Fourth Indiana Infantry, under Col. A. W. Gorman, who was afterward a member of Congress from Minnesota, and Governor of that State. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, Mr. McLaughlin entered the service as First Lieutenant of Company K, Eleventh Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, in which he served three months in Maryland and Virginia. He then raised a company which constituted a part of the Forty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteers. Was in the battle of New Madrid and other battles, under Gen. Pope. Capt. M. has in his possession the garrison flag captured by his company, which was the first to enter Fort Thompson at its capture. His command made part of the Thirteenth Army Corps, upon its organization, being in Gen. Hover's (First) Division. He took part in the siege of Vicksburg, the Yazoo expedition, the capture of Jackson and other battles under Gen. Grant and was soon afterward transferred to Gen. Banks' command in Louisiana, forming part of the Nineteenth Army Corps, and took part in the various actions of that command on the Tesche and Red rivers under Franklin and Banks. Mr. McLaughlin was promoted to the rank of Major of the Forty-Seventh Regiment in the early part of 1862, and in the following winter was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, which he commanded most of the time until the winter of 1863-64, when the regiment re-enlisted and went home to Indiana on veteran furlough. He was then commissioned a Colonel, and went back in command of that regiment to take part in the actions resulting in the surrender of Mobile and Shreveport. Mr. McLaughlin came to Kansas in March, 1868, locating at Topeka, where he has since resided, carrying on the business of gunsmith and dealer in firearms, sporting goods, etc. He married Miss Louisa Morehouse, at Indianapolis, Ind., in 1851, and they have had seven children.
REV. PETER McVICAR, M. A., D. D., President of Washburn College, was born near Eastport, Maine, in the province of New Brunswick. He graduated from Beloit College, at Beloit, Wis., in 1856, and was employed as an instructor in the same college. In 1860, he graduated from Andover Theological Seminary, and soon after moved to Kansas. The next year he was installed as Pastor of the First Congregational Church, at Topeka, occupying that position for six years. He was elected State Superintendent of Public Instruction of Kansas, in 1866, serving two terms. In 1871 he was called to the Presidency of Washburn College, a position which he still occupies.
ALBERT MAGOR, stone mason, contractor and builder, came to Kansas in 1876, and located in Topeka, from Montreal, Canada. Was born June 11, 1852, at Newton Abbot, Devonshire, England. Remained in his native town until eighteen years of age, attending school; completed English branches and business course, and went to Montreal, Canada, in 1869. Spent four years in New York and Pennsylvania, engaged in his trade, which he learned in Montreal. Last year completed a very fine residence for Capt. Winthrow, corner Tenth and Harrison. Keeps seven men employed. Was married in June, 1879, at Topeka, Kan., to Mrs. Runkel, a native of Worthington, Greene Co., Ind.; they have one child, Effie F. Is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Topeka. Is a Republican.
WESLEY W. MANSPEAKER was born in Bedford, Bedford Co., Pa., June 3, 1850, that place remaining his home until he was thirteen years of age. He then removed to Champaign, Ill., and there learned the tinner's trade, was engaged in that business until he removed to Topeka, March 1, 1874. He commenced the retail grocery business in the city immediately, and, in 1878, added the wholesale department. The business has doubled since its start, now amounting to about $150,000 per annum, and giving employment to nine men. Mr. Manspeaker was married in Sarcoxie, Jasper Co., Mo., May 1, 1870, to Teresa Brown, a native of that place. They have one child, Lulu Maud. Mr. M. is a director of the First National Bank, and a member of the A. F. & A. M., K. T., and I. O. O. F.
J. B. MARSHALL, contractor and builder, came to Kansas in 1871, from Canada West, and located in Topeka, where he has since resided. was elected Councilman from the First ward in the spring of 1882. Was Band Master of the First Regiment Band, Kansas State Militia, which was organized in the city of Topeka in 1876, by Mr. Marshall, as a cornet band, and became attached to the First Regiment by an order of the governor, under the State Militia law, in 1879. This band took the first prize at a band tournament of the Bismark fair, in September, 1880. It was in constant demand, and furnished music for all public demonstrations in all parts of the State. They met President Hayes at Neosho Falls, at the time he visited the State in the fall of 1880, and escorted the presidential party to Leavenworth. Mr. Marshall was born February 2, 1850, in Cornwall, England. Remained in his native country until he was about sixteen years of age, attending school and working at his trade, and came with an elder brother to Belleville, Hastings Co., Canada West. Remained there working at his trade. While in Canada, Mr. M. occupied part of his time with band music, being a member and cornet player of the Fifteenth Battalion Band. Was married in 1874, at Topeka, Kan., to Miss Hulda Faulk, a native of Kent, England, and has two children - Albert and Johnnie. Is a member of the Kaw Valley Lodge, No. 20, A. O. U. W., Topeka, and is recorder of that lodge. Mr. M. is a heavy contractor and employs from six to ten men.
H. T. MARTIN came to Kansas August 18, 1868. His first location was at Lanesfield, near Edgerton, in Johnson County. After remaining in that place about five years employed in farming, Mr. Martin came to Topeka in 1873, and engaged in photography which has been his business since that time. He was born in Camden, Carroll Co., Ind., March 31, 1841. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Forty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry and served until September, 1865. Participated in all the general engagements of his command. At the close of his term of service he returned to Indiana, where he remained until his removal to Kansas. Mr. Martin was married in Camden, Ind., October, 1866, to Mattie E. Leonard, a native of the town. They have one child - Maud M.
HON. JOHN MARTIN, one of the prominent characters of the State of Kansas, comes from a long and illustrious line of ancestors - lawyers, statesmen, public officials, soldiers. The Revolutionary War, the Mexican War, the War of the Rebellion, carried in their ranks heroic men (and women) who bore his name. One evening during the siege of Augusta and Cambridge, in the Revolutionary War, intelligence came to Grace and Rachel Martin, the wives of John Martin's great uncles, that a courier, with important messages, was to pass that night, guarded by two British officers. At the risk of their lives they waylaid the party in a dark part of the forest, through which the road passed, and so suddenly attacked them as to give them no time for thought or action. The whole party were taken prisoners, paroled and allowed to go, after giving up their dispatches, which were quickly sent by a trusty messenger to Gen. Greene. John Martin's grandfather took an active part in the Revolutionary War. Was Brigadier-General of the South Carolina State Militia and for many years a member of the Legislature. His father was a native of South Carolina, industrious, and a man in every sense of the word. While yet a young man he moved to Tennessee, where John Martin was born, November 12, 1833, being a native of Wilson County. The boy received a good English education in the common schools near home, working at intervals on the farm. But all his aims and tastes were for political life, and he is soon found divorced from mercantile pursuits, having been appointed chief clerk in the post-office at Lebanon, Tenn. He had already commenced the study of law, under the instructions of Judge Caruthers, Professor of Law in the University. In the winter of 1854, in company with Maj. B. J. Newsom, who had materially assisted him in his law studies, the young man concluded to go to Texas, but learning from Judge Rush Elmore who had just been appointed one of the United States District Judges for the new Territory, that he (Judge Elmore) intended to reside permanently in Kansas, the two concluded to make that their home. In March, 1855, they came on from Nashville with Judge Elmore. On the evening of March 31, they arrived in Kansas City and next day went to the old Methodist Shawnee Mission, taking up their quarters with Rev. Thomas Johnson, then in charge of the Indian school. Here they met Gov. Reeder, Judge Saunders, W. Johnston, Marcus J. Parrott, M. F. Conway, Silas Woodson (then Secretary of the Territory), and other prominent gentlemen. H. D. McMeeken was there, having just been elected a member of the Kansas Territorial Legislature. The mission was then (1855) the territorial seat of government, and the new comers met almost every public man of the Territory. On April 7, Judge Elmore and Mr. Martin went to Tecumseh, where the latter determined to locate. Mr. Martin was elected assistant clerk of the Territorial Legislature which convened Pawnee, July 4, 1855; commissioned County Clerk and Register of Deeds of Shawnee County in October, 1855; admitted to the bar at Tecumseh, December 3, 1856; appointed by the Board of County Commissioners, County Clerk and ex officio Register of Deeds for Shawnee County, which office he held until January, 1858; appointed County Attorney in August, 1858; Postmaster at Tecumseh for 1858 and 1859; also Assistant United States District Attorney during these years; March 6, 1860, Reporter of the Supreme Court of the Territory. In 1868 and 1872 Mr. Martin was an unsuccessful candidate for State Senator and member of the House of Representatives, respectively. He was elected to a seat in the latter body in 1873 and 1874, and succeeded in founding the State Insane Asylum at Topeka. From 1861 to 1872 Mr. Martin was Chairman of the Shawnee County Democratic Executive Committee and during the latter year was appointed Chairman of the State Executive Committee. During the same year he served as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention, and was a member of its Committee on Platform. In September, 1876, he was unanimously nominated for Governor of Kansas by the Democratic State Convention and although defeated, the campaign was a grand triumph for his party. In January of the same year, he had received the full party vote for United States Senator. During the campaign of 1882 Mr. Martin was nominated by his party for Governor of the State, but declined to run upon the platform adopted. In conclusion it is but justice to say of Mr. Martin's political character that he consistently and firmly opposed all the ultra measures of the Pro-slavery leaders, which ultimately brought that party into such disrepute. During the Price raid he served as Orderly Sergeant of Company A, Second Regiment, Kansas Militia. Mr. Martin is an Odd Fellow and a friend of education - an able lawyer; a true man. He was married November 12, 1860, to Miss Caroline Clements. They have three children - John Elmore, born October 2, 1862; Charles Clements, born October 1, 1864, and Caroline, born May 29, 1871.
W. C. MARTIN, dealer in groceries, was born in Troy, Oakland Co., Mich., March 28, 1832, living there about twenty-eight years. Was there married October 10, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Toms. They have five children living - Morris Eugene, Clara Minnie, Cora May, Alfred Brooks, Nettie Grace. In the early part of 1860 he moved to Kansas, locating in Osawatomie, Miami County, engaging in farming, which he followed until 1877, when he entered the hotel business at Osawatomie. During the war he was in the State Militia and helped to capture Quantrell, in one of his raids. He enlisted in Company A, Regiment Kansas Infantry, serving three years as First Lieutenant. After the war he returned to his farm in Miami County, there holding the office of Justice of the Peace several years. He moved to Topeka in the early part of 1882 engaging in mercantile business, carrying a stock of groceries amounting to $800 and doing a business of $30 a day.
SAMUEL E. MARTIN, M. D., physician and surgeon, is one of the pioneers of Topeka, and probably the oldest resident physician in the State. On the 27th of November, 1854, he located at Lawrence, where he remained until December 25th of the same year, when he came to Topeka, and took a claim adjoining the present town site, on the west, Section 36, Township 11, Range 15, and has resided continuously since that time in the place. Dr. Martin was present, as attending physician, at the birth of Topeka Zimmerman, June, 1855, the first child born within the limits of the city; also, January, 1855, at the birth of Dick Ward, son of Anthony Ward, who then lived in the little log cabin which is still standing on the farm of his widow. Dr. Martin was born at Greenville, Mercer Co., Pa., June 18, 1826. He lived in Pennsylvania until August, 1852, received his education in the schools and academies of his native State and Ohio, and graduated from the Ohio Eclectic Medical College, at Cincinnati, June 7, 1852. He commenced practice at Cussawago, Pa., where he remained three months, and then removed to Kellogsville, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, remaining in that place until November 1, 1854, the date of his removal to Kansas. He was married at Cincinnati, Ohio, April 17, 1856, to Maria M. Merrel, of that city, and daughter of William S. Merrel, one of its early pioneers. Dr. and Mrs. Martin have buried one son, William Wallace, who died at the age of two and a half years. Their living children are Mary Estelle, John Milo and Mabel Ray. Dr. Martin was first president, and is now treasurer of the State Medical Society. He is also a member of the Eclectic Medical Association of Kansas, and of the National Eclectic Association of the United States. Besides these associations connected with the medical profession, he is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge Chapter, Commandery, and Scottish Rite, having filled the highest offices in the organizations. He is also a member of the K. of H.