|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KELLAM - LYON).
GEORGE M. KELLAM, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Topeka, owns 200 acres here; 160 acres under cultivation; has another farm of 400 acres twelve miles southeast for grazing. Makes corn growing and stock-raising a specialty. Has fine stock: Galway Black Scotch; just bought a bull for $680; has 140 head of cattle, and 29 horses; good dwelling and good barn. Came to Kansas March 28, 1857, and located on this farm, pre-empting 160 acres. Was born in Irasburgh, Orleans Co., Vt., May 13, 1828. Came from there to Kansas. Was in the Special Militia during the Price Raid, and was at the battle of the Big Blue, in Missouri; was from home about three weeks. Was married June 15, 1857, to Miss Julia S. Emerson. Has three children - Sabin E., Emma J. and Mary A. Is a Master Mason. The first brick ever made in Shawnee County was made on his farm.
DANIEL F. KELLER, plumber and gas-fitter, came to Kansas first January 5, 1880, and located at Emporia, where he followed his trade and remained about six months. Then moved to Kansas City, remained a short time, and came to Topeka, and, with the exception of about five months, has been here since. Was born in Banden, County Cork, Ireland, August 15, 1839. Parents came to this country when he was about eight months old. First located in London, Canada West. Remained there until about fourteen years of old attending school and moved to Louisville, Ky., in 1857. Remained there until 1874; learned his trade; worked at Cincinnati and Terre Haute; also in Chicago. Was married in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 9, 1869, to Miss Kate McCarty, a native of Wexford, County New Ross, Ireland. Has three children - Daniel F., Jr., Lawrence and Joseph. Is a member of the Catholic Church and a Democrat.
SCOTT KELSEY, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Topeka. Owns 187 acres, 165 of which are under cultivation. Makes corn growing and stock feeding a specialty. Came to Kansas March 1, 1878, and located on his present farm. Has held the position of Township Trustee while in Dearborn County, Ind., where he lived prior to coming to Kansas. Enlisted as a seaman in the Mississippi squadron under Commodore Fitch in July, 1864, when a boy only seventeen years of age. Was discharged in August, 1865, at Mound City, Ill. He was born in Dearborn County, Ind., July 1, 1847. Moved to Decatur in 1874, and came from there to Kansas. He was married twice, the first time April 30, 1866. Married again January 31, 1874, to Miss Martha Connell. They have four children by the first marriage - Grant, Allen, Melvin, _______; and by the second marriage two - Mercy P. and Jesse M. Mr. Kelsey is a Master Mason.
CHARLES F. KENDALL was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., April 15, 1844. His first business location was at Grand Rapids, Mich., where he remained two years prior to entering the United States service in the fall of 1861. At that time he enlisted in the Fourth Michigan Cavalry. Served about eighteen months in that regiment as Commissary Sergeant of the company and subsequently of the regiment. He was afterward Commissary of the Eleventh Michigan Volunteer Cavalry, later of a brigade, and still later of a division and finally Post Commissary at Crab Orchard and other points in Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. He was mustered out at Jackson, Mich., in 1865, and in February, 1866 again commenced mercantile business at Grand Rapids, where he remained until he emigrated to Kansas in the fall of 1868, and after remaining a few months at Leavenworth, located finally in Topeka, in February, 1869. Since becoming a resident of this city he has been continuously engaged in the mercantile business, wholesale and retail dry goods. His business is extensive and has rapidly increased since he commenced, now amounting to about $100,000 per annum.
H. R. KIRK, came to Kansas in the spring of 1879, located in Wabaunsee County and engaged in dealing in stock until he removed to Topeka in July, 1882. He is now a member of the firm of J. S. Collins & Co., real estate and loan agents.
HENRY KING was born in Salem, Ohio in May, 1841. He was of French and of German ancestry. The family came to Hancock County, Ill., when Henry was quite young. His father combined farming with the practice of law, and was a friend of Abraham Lincoln, of Owen Lovejoy and of Richard Yates. His mother was a woman of rare virtues and accomplishments. Henry worked at corn raising on the black, flat prairie of Western Illinois in the summer and attended the country school in winter. Having a great taste for reading and a general literary bent, his path naturally led out of the corn-field into the county printing office, animated with the thought of doing someday good service for the Republican party, of which he was an ardent, youthful member. He passed through all the various journalistic gradations of advancement from the position of "devil" to that of editor. During his editorial career he read law and was admitted to the bar. In 1858 he went into the office of the Quincy (Ill.) Whig, succeeding as editor Hon. John T. Morton, late judge of the Third Judicial District of Kansas. November 25, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the Fiftieth Illinois Infantry, being credited to the quota of the town of La Harpe. He served as Quartermaster's Sergeant, and was promoted to Quartermaster August 28, 1863. His term expired October 28, 1864. He was at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson and at Shiloh, bearing his part with martial skill and fidelity in the struggle that there ensued. In the siege of Atlanta he was detailed for important special duty by Secretary Stanton, and in connection with General Thomas' operations in Tennessee, he was tendered the Colonelcy of his old regiment, but he declined the proffered honor, deeming it unjust to stand in the way of the promotion of other commissioned officers in the line. He was content with the position and rank of Captain. He received the highest testimonials as to his character as a soldier. Governor Carpenter of Iowa, spoke of him as follows: "I never knew a man who combined so much of practical business sense and administrative ability with so much literary taste and culture. He is a man who does more than he says, and is never found wanting." Governor Oglesby offered Captain King, on the expiration of his term, the position of State Military Agent, but he chose to again put his shoulder to the journalistic wheel. In the spring of 1869 Capt. King came to Kansas and on May 19, he assumed the position of political and managing editor of the Topeka Daily Record. He said in his salutatory: "Too much has not and cannot be said in commendation of Topeka and of Kansas. The Record will be independently radical. All vital questions affecting the welfare of the people will be discussed candidly and generously, yet firmly and with plainness of speech." Afterwards Mr. King became secretary of the Commonwealth Printing Company, and on July 16, 1872, he was announced as secretary and editor. He retired from the Commonwealth, March 6, 1875. He had been one of the editors of the far-famed Kansas Magazine, a state monthly which had a comparatively brief but brilliant career, and which was warmly cherished by the savants of Kansas. He has been a frequent contributor to Scribner and the St. Louis Globe-Democrat; was president of the Editors' and Publishers' Association of Kansas in 1878 and 1879. In 1871 and 1877 he gave the annual address before this Association. He was secretary of the Kansas State Relief Society in the drouth-grasshopper period of 1874-75, and performed the exacting duties of that position with noticeable fidelity. In May, 1880, he delivered the annual address before the Missouri Editorial Association, at Sedalia. In early life he married Miss Maria Louisa Lane, of the Lane family, distinguished in history of Indiana and Kansas. She is a near relative of ex-Governor Albinus Nance, of Nebraska. Their son Henry has the literary tastes and studious tendencies of his father, their adopted daughter lends a charm to their happy home circle. Mr. King was appointed Postmaster of Topeka in 1873, and held the position for eight years. He retired from the position in May, 1881. In his address before the Editorial Association at Leavenworth, June 13, 1877, referring to his past history, he said: "After seven years of carousal in politics and office-holding, I came back a jaded and repentant prodigal, tired of the mockery of the thing, its emptiness, its husks and its swine, to say that the happiest years of my life have been spent in a Kansas printing office. There is too much politics in the State already and a great deal too much in our newspapers. The politicians are not the men to lean prominence in its columns. Politics is not of half the importance that politicians would have us think. Newspapers are not dependent upon politics for their life and strength and opportunities for usefulness. That incessant nuisance, the office-seeker, is a creature with whom the press should have no commerce. There is no patronage and no luxury worth as much as the manhood of a journalist. The Press made the State here in Kansas, and can safely be trusted to guide and uplift in the future as it has done in the past. There is nothing here but the soil and the sunshine which the Press has not made or brought in. The destiny of Kansas is in the keeping of the Press. Never before have there been such chances for the newspaper to serve the State. The Press has but to be true to itself - to the theory of its origin, the spirit of its growth, and it cannot be false to the State. When everything has been done that it is possible to do, when the last stone shall have been put in the temple, as it were, and the perfect splendor of all shall gleam like a shaft of light across the land, the Press can place its hand upon its jubilant heart, and borrowing a line from the Iliad, say to the State in truth and sincerity, and with an honest and conscious pride, 'All illustrious as thou art, I have made thee such.'" November 1, 1881, Mr. King became the editor of the Capital and in that issue said: "It is now over eight years since the incoming editor of the Capital threw down the traditional shears and pencil-stub and went out into the cold, wicked world to seek his fortune. He returns this morning with the delightful feeling of one who awakes from an unhappy dream. Our guiding purpose is to produce a first-class newspaper. This is the basis, and the only one upon which we seek patronage. We desire nothing but prosperity and happiness for our competitor, with simply the right reserved on our part as we think we have the facilities and the opportunity to make the name of the Capital like that of rare old Abou Ben Adem 'lead all the rest.'" In the Daily Capital of Tuesday morning, March 27, 1883, appears the following: "Personal - My connection with the Capital has ceased, for business reasons, and through an amicable understanding on the part of all concerned. Henry King." J. K. Hudson, the original proprietor of the Capital, had the following card in the same issue: "The undersigned, until further notice, assumes editorial and business management of the Daily and Weekly Capital. J. K. Hudson. Monday, March 26, 1883."
KITCHELL & MARBURG, hardware merchants, of the firm of William W. Kitchell and A. Marburg, organized in November, 1882, being successors to Henry F. Gee, who succeeded George D. Hale, the latter having succeeded to the business of Hale & Smith. It will be seen that the present firm succeeded to one of the oldest hardware houses in Topeka. Mr. Kitchell is a native of Olney, Ill. Mr. Marburg is a native of Frankfort-on-the-Main; first came to America in 1875, returning to Europe in 1880, remaining there until August, 1882, when he returned to the United States and located at Topeka.
H. F. KLEMP, M. D., was born in Prussia, August 6, 1835. He commenced his medical studies in Europe and continued them two years, and also received instruction of the art of mining from a professor at one of the Gymnasiums. In 1862 he emigrated to America, and after remaining a few weeks at Bellville, Ontario Co., Canada, located at Berlin in the same county, and commenced the practice of medicine. He removed to Chicago in 1863, and the following year entered Hahnneman's Medical College in that city, from which he graduated in 1867. In the fall of the same year he again commenced practice at Dwight, Ill., afterwards residing at Barton County, Mo., and Sedalia, Mo., until he came to Kansas, and located at Topeka, February, 1869, in which city he is still engaged in practice. Dr. Klemp is a scientific mining engineer and proficient geologist, taking much pride and pleasure in both studies. He is a member, and was formerly Priest, of the Turner's Society; is a member of the State Homeopathic Medical Society, president of the State Examining Board of Physicians, and member of the Western Academy of Homeopathy. He was married in Prussia in September 1859, to Eislein Kathrina Trebble, a native of Prussia. Their three living children are William, Paulina and Carl.
G. H. KLUSSMAN, shoemaker, North Topeka. Came to Kansas in 1858, from Indianapolis, Ind. First located at Leavenworth and worked at his trade. Was for a time foreman of State prison work at Leavenworth. Was born at Lunburg, Hanover, Germany, May 25, 1825, and came to America when eighteen years old, arriving at Cincinnati, Ohio, January 9, 1844. Went to Indianapolis in 1851, and remained until coming to Leavenworth. Was in the Kansas State Militia in 1864, in pursuit of Price. Was married in 1846 to Louisa Gaus, at Cincinnati, Ohio; they have six children - Edward, George, Mary, Emma, Louisa and Julia. Edward is a farmer near Leavenworth and George is a machinist in the A., T. & S. F. shops in Topeka.
REV. JOHN D. KNOX was born October 28, 1828, on Brook's Run, Belmont Co., Ohio, received his collegiate education in Jefferson College, New Athens, Harrison Co., Ohio and graduated at Duff's Commercial College, Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1857. While at school he was licensed as an exhorter, February 23, 1850. Soon after leaving school was licensed as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In June, 1850, was admitted on trial in the Pittsburgh Conference, held at Canton, Ohio and was appointed junior preacher on the Washington and Cambridge circuit, in Guernsey County, Ohio. In 1851, with two colleagues, he traveled the Deersville circuit, in 1852, the Cadiz circuit, and in 1853, the Butler circuit, in Pennsylvania, securing in the latter the erection of a small brick church, which the people named Knox Chapel. The little town at this point is still called Knoxville. In 1854 his field of labor was at Pittsburgh where in common with many of his flock, he was stricken with cholera. Through the years of 1855, 1856 and 1857 he was successively on the Bridgeport circuit, Ohio; at Lawrenceville station, Pittsburgh, agent for the Beaver Female Seminary, and in 1858 and 1859 in charge of the Mount Pleasant and West Newton circuits. In 1860 and 1861 he was on the Mechanicsburg circuit, in Indiana County, Pa., and in 1862 and 1863 was pastor of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, at Pittsburgh, Pa. In 1864 he was in Bridgewater, and in the spring of 1865 was transferred to the Kansas conference and stationed at Topeka. He had charge of the Topeka church for three years, the society and church enjoying a high degree of prosperity under his pastorate. He also had charge of the Kansas Business College, and was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction. In 1869 and 1870 he was appointed Presiding Elder of Fort Scott District, but resigned in consequence of ill health during the latter year. In 1871 he was elected President of the Capital Bank in Topeka, and in 1873, made a trip to Europe in the interests of the institution. January 1, 1874, the banking house of John D. Knox & Co. was established at Topeka. They do a general banking business and purchase and sell Kansas securities, loan money and invest money for Eastern parties. They have also a savings department connected with the bank. Mr. Knox is connected actively with many societies, both secret and benevolent. He has taken eleven degrees in the Masonic Society, is past grand in the I. O. O. F. and has been chaplain in the G. A. R. He has been one of the editors of the Kansas Methodist since its start, and is now editor-in-chief. He was married, April 15, 1858, in Johnstown, Cambria Co., Pa., to Mary Dilbert, of Somerset County, Pa. They have eight children - David D., William C., Martha P., Mary R., Sarah E., John D., Olive B. and Florence L.
OSCAR KRAUSS, manufacturer of saddles and harness, also dealer in leather, hides, saddler's hardware and shoe-findings, North Topeka, came to Topeka in the spring of 1869, from Hamilton, Ohio. Mr. Krauss is one of the progressive men of North Topeka, and from a very humble beginning has built up a fine business. He moved into his present commodious quarters in 1871. He was born, August 10, 1847, at Rodach, southern Germany; completed a course of study at Ernestinum of Coburg, and when seventeen years of age came to America and located at Hamilton, Ohio. He was married in 1873 to Augusta Fensky, of Leavenworth. They have four children living - Leopold, George, Tony and John P. He is a member of the German-Lutheran St. John's Church, and was one of the founders and supporters of that church, and also of the promising young college of that name and denomination.
WILLIAM J. LEA, of Topeka, western manager for the Aetna Life Insurance Co. of Hartford, is of Scotch-Irish descent. He is the son of Albert Gallatin Lea and Jane (Rhea) Lea, and was born in Wilson County, Tenn., August 17, 1844. He received a partial academic course at Cherry Grove Seminary in Illinois. His father died when he was thirteen years of age, and by his death he was early thrown upon his own resources. He assisted in the support of his widowed mother and obtained a good education besides. One year after his father's death, not having a taste for farming pursuits to which he had hitherto been brought up, he bound himself as an apprentice to learn the printer's trade in the office of the Macomb, Illinois Eagle, where he remained for four years. During the last two years of his apprenticeship, he became foreman of the printing office, and did much of the local editorial work on the paper. In 1860-61 he removed to Missouri, where he spent a year and then returned to Illinois. The war having broken out, August 11, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company A, Eighty-fourth Illinois Infantry. He served thirteen months as a Corporal, when he was discharged for disability April 21, 1863. Having regained his health he enlisted May 2, 1864, in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry, serving until the regiment was mustered out September 24, 1864. During his service he participated in the bloody battle of Perryville, and also the defense of Memphis during Forrest's raid. On leaving the service he resumed the printing business in Galesburg, Ill., being foreman in a printing office in that city for a year. In 1865 he removed to Kansas City, and there worked at his trade until 1868. He then went to St. Louis where for eight months he took charge of a large job printing office. He again returned to Kansas City, where he engaged for a time as the city editor of the Kansas City Daily Advertiser. In 1870 he removed to Columbus, Kansas, and with his brother, A. T. Lea, established the Columbus Independent, the firm being A. T. & W. J. Lea. Two years later, in June, he moved to Oswego, Kansas, where he associated with F. B. McGill and started the Oswego Independent. Six months later he sold out his interest in the paper, and entered into mercantile business with Richard Taylor. This continued for six months, when he went to Joplin, Mo., and started the Mining Journal. After six months he moved to Baxter Springs, Kansas, where he became connected with the Baxter Springs Republican. He continued in this connection until 1876, when owing to ill-health he was forced to abandon the newspaper business and accepted a position as local agent of the land department of the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. In 1876 he became interested in the Bonanza Lead Mines, just then discovered. In 1877 he became one of the original stockholders in the Southside Town and Mining Company at Galena, being elected one of the directors and secretary of the company. He disposed of his mining interests in 1878, and afterward engaged in stock business until he became chief clerk in the office of the State Superintendent of Insurance in 1879. He held that position until the fall of 1882, when he became actively identified with the anti-St. John movement, which resulted in the organization of the anti-St. John Club of Topeka, which was one of the principal motors leading to the election of Gov. Glick. The club was organized on the motion of Mr. Lea, and he was one of the first to advance money to further the interests of the movement. Mr. Lea was educated a Democrat, but since the war and ever since he attained his majority he has been a vigorous and consistent Republican. He holds to the religious faith of the Cumberland Presbyterians. He is also an Odd Fellow, and member of the G. A. R. He was married July 7, 1873, in Troy, Ohio, to Miss Mary I. Harris. They have two children - Rhea Harris and Edna Portia.
JOHN A. LEE, grocer, is a native of Hunterdon, Hunterdon Co., N. J.; resided Knoxville, Iowa for two years before coming to Topeka in 1859, having resided over five years in New York City prior to removal to Iowa. He enlisted in Company A, Second Kansas Volunteer Infantry in April, 1861. After five months' service the regiment was reorganized as the Second Kansas Cavalry, and he served in that regiment until the close of the war, being mustered out as Captain of Company D. He participated in all battles in which his command was engaged. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Subordinate Lodge and Encampment. Mr. Lee was married at LaSalle, Ill. to Beulah Holmes, a native of Illinois. They have three children - Beulah, Lizzie and Alexine.
MARTIN I. LEE, farmer, four and a half miles southwest of Topeka, came to Kansas in the spring of 1879, from Alton, Ill., and for two years before coming to Kansas was a jobber and importer of books and stationary at 407 Fourth Street, St. Louis, Mo. Was born June 28, 1826, in Berkshire County, Mass. Remained in his native county until he was twenty-one years of age, attending school. Went to New Jersey and remained about four years, and was engaged in teaching school at Dover. On leaving New Jersey, came to Alton, Ill., and was engaged in selling books and stationery for twenty-five years. Was also Secretary of the School Board, and deputy County School Commissioner for a number of years. Was married October 25, 1853, at Great Barrington, Berkshire Co., Mass., to Miss Lottie J. Crane, of that place. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was elder of that church for a number of years at Alton.
E. R. LENDBERG, restaurant, confectionery, grocery, cigars and tobacco, came to Kansas in the fall of 1867, and located at Lawrence, and worked at cabinet-making. Went to Burlington, Kansas in 1870, and came to Topeka in 1882, and commenced business where he now is. Was born August 28, 1840, near Atvidaberg, a mining town of Sweden. Came from there to Chicago June 24, 1867. Was married in 1870 at Emporia, Kansas, to Nellie Anderson, of that place. Is a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church.
CAPT. E. S. LENFESTEY, real estate and investment agent, was born in Marion, Ind., December 25, 1841. He was educated as a lawyer, and represented his district in the Legislature of Indiana. In July, 1882, he came to Topeka, having spent about ten years in the Rocky Mountain regions, most of the time in Colorado, where he still has large interests. Mr. L. raised Company C, Twelfth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned Captain of the company in April, 1861, serving until June 8, 1865, two years of the time as Senior Aid-de-Camp, on the staff of Gen. Wm. B. Wood. He was in all the engagements of his command, and was slightly wounded but not disabled. He is a member of the G. A. R., I. O. O. F., and is a Royal Arch Mason. He was married at Marion, Ind., November 9, 1867, to Laura Brownlee, a native of that place. They have five children - Mary B., Emma H., John W., Wm. E. and Fred.
T. H. LESCHER, contractor and builder, shop 311 Madison street, residence 310 Monroe street, does a general contracting business. Has been in the business in Kansas twenty-six years. In 1881 business run about $40,000, and some years has run to $150,000. Had the contract for most of the work on the State University, and contracted for most of the wood-work on the west wing of the State House. Did work on Washburn College, and also on Bethany School. Has an average of twenty-five men in his employ, and at one time had seventy-five working. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1856, and located six miles southwest of where Topeka now stands. At that time the Lecompton government was in control. Was an active and earnest Free-state man, and did duty in the service in the Free-state party from Topeka to the border. Was a member of the State Militia, and the fight with Price at Westport. Lived at Lawrence sixteen years, and was on the Board of Education, and President of the School Board for five years. Was on the City Council for three years. Helped build the city after it was burned by Quantrell, and superintended two-thirds of the work. He was born at Easton, Pa., March 18, 1827. When about fifteen years of age went with his sister to New York City, remaining there until coming to Kansas. He was married in 1858, on his farm near Topeka, to Miss Augusta Wood, who was born in Kentucky, and has six children - all natives of Kansas - viz: Jessie A., now in Chicago, studying music; George M., studying surveying and civil engineering; Herman G., connected with the Capitol; Jane E., Susan C. and Theodore A.
GEORGE E. LILLIE and WILLIAM MILLIGAN, proprietors, Topeka Lithographing Co., established business in this city in November, 1882. They have facilities for doing all kinds of lithographic work and have already built up a large business with the bankers and county officers of Kansas. It is certainly creditable to the capital city to have an establishment of this kind, where work of a superior character can be obtained. Mr. Lillie is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, where he began learning the lithographing business twenty-three years ago, when only twelve years of age. He came to the United States in 1864, worked at the same business in Cleveland, Ohio, over a year, served three years in the regular army, worked a short time in Chicago, afterward in the lithographic department of Mills & Co.'s large establishment at Des Moines for a period of twelve years, then with the Western Lithographing Co. of the same city until he came to Topeka in 1882. Mr. Milligan is a native of Marysville, Union Co., Ohio. He learned the lithographing business with the firm of Mills & Co., of Des Moines, Iowa, and was with that firm several years prior to coming to Topeka in 1882.
J. P. LEWIS, M. D. was born near New Lexington, Perry Co., Ohio, December 20, 1848, and educated in the public schools and academies of that place and McConnellsville. He graduated from Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1873, and was awarded the Dawson prize on surgery in competition with 213 students. Declining an offered position in the Cincinnati Hospital, he commenced practice in his native town, and remained there two years, removing thence to Fairfield County, Ohio where he remained about eight years, and was then appointed assistant physician in the State Insane Asylum at Columbus, Ohio, leaving that position to remove to Topeka in March, 1881. He was married near New Lexington, Ohio, September, 1872, to Sarah A. Brown, who died at New Lexington, in February 1879, leaving two children - Florence Luella and Olive St. Clair. In October, 1880, he was married at Circleville, Ohio, to Mattie A. Shoemaker, of that place. They have one son - Charles William. Dr. Lewis is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society, Kansas Eastern District Society and I. O. O. F. and formerly was a member of Academy of Medicine of Medicine of Zanesville, Ohio, the Muskingum County Medical Society, Ohio, the Perry County Medical Society, Ohio, and the Hocking Valley Medical Association.
W. S. LINDSAY, M. D., assistant superintendent of Kansas Insane Hospital, has been connected with this institution since the opening, in June, 1879. His duties consist of immediate medical attention on patients and general oversight of wards. Is a native of Ohio, and removed to Kansas in 1865, locating at Garnett. Practiced medicine five years before entering the institution. He is a member of the Kansas State Medical Society.
ISAAC T. LOCKARD, real estate, loan and insurance agent, has been a resident of Topeka since 1868, and during that time has been continuously engaged in real estate business, with the exception of three summers spent in the mining regions of Colorado, and one summer in New Mexico. He was born in Urbana, Champaign Co., Ohio, January 20, 1833, and lived in his native town until he moved to Kansas in 1868. He was married at Dayton, Ohio, October 6, 1857, to Nancy A. Miller, of Dayton. Mr. Lockard is a member of A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge Chapter Commandery and Council; K. of H. and A. O. U. W.
J. T. LONG, dealer in meat, Kansas avenue, North Topeka, was born in Troy, Miami Co., Ohio, August 10, 1877. sic He lived at that place on a farm until May, 1867, when he removed to Topeka, where he engaged in the livery business. He has lived in Topeka the whole time since, with the exception of two years residence in Minneapolis, Ottawa County. He was appointed on the police force and served in 1874 and 1875 in the city of Topeka. He was married to Miss Lida McKensie, June 6, 1876. Mr. Long's father died in Ohio, October, 1854. His mother is still living on the old homestead in Ohio. Mr. Long has one brother and nine sisters living.
PROF. J. T. LOVEWELL, M. A., Ph. D., was born at Corinth, Orange Co., Vt., May 1, 1833, residing there until 1853 when he entered Yale College where he graduated in 1857, afterwards taking a Ph. D. degree from the same college. Was Instructor of Physics in Sheffield Scientific School a number of years, and was afterwards connected with the Pennsylvania State College and State Normal School at Whitewater, Wis., which position he resigned to accept the position of Professor of Chemistry and Physics at Washburn College, which he has since held. During the past four years Prof. L. has been president of the Kansas Academy of Sciences. He was married at Hartford, Wis., in 1863, to Miss Margaret Bissell. They have two children.
LOWENTHAL BROTHERS, manufacturers and dealers in jewelry, etc., established at Topeka in March, 1880. Firm is composed of A. F. & L. M. Lowenthal, both natives of Syracuse, N. Y. where they learned the jeweler's trade, having worked at it from their youth, their father having been in the business for years. They carry a stock of about $20,000, much the largest stock in the city of Topeka. It would be difficult to find a better selected stock of watches, fine jewelry, silver and plated ware anywhere in the country. These gentlemen have a deserved reputation for fair dealing and their patrons can depend implicitly on their representations. A. F. Lowenthal is a member of the A. F. & A. M. He has been engaged in his present business for over twelve years. Mr. L. M. Lowenthal is connected with the A. O. U. W.
C. W. LUKENS, No. 125 Lawrence street, North Topeka, was born in Kosciusko County, Ind., March, 1851, at which place he remained until the spring of 1881, when he came to Topeka and associated with his brother, J. A. Lukens, and Mr. P. Smith in the proprietorship of the Topeka roller skating rink, which is the largest west of St. Louis, being 75x150 feet. He was married in 1879 to Miss Laura A. Luce, of Wabash County, Ind.
J. A. LUKENS, of Lukens, Smith & Co., owners of skating rink on Van Buren and Seventh streets and proprietor of Lukens' Opera House, North Topeka. He was born in Wabash County, Ind., in 1847. In 1869 he came from that place to Topeka. He was educated in the schools of his native State, and there followed the profession of teaching for about seven years. At the time of his coming to Kansas, he first engaged in the hardware business, afterward became a grain dealer and then erected the opera house bearing his name. His parents both died many years ago in Indiana. One brother, C. W. Lukens, is associated with him in the ownership of the skating rink on Seventh street. They intend to change the rink during the summer into a swimming school. The Lukens brothers are among the most enterprising and successful men of the city of Topeka.
THOMAS S. LYON, real estate and loan agent, came to Kansas in 1880, and has been in business for the past year in Topeka. He was born, March 15, 1833, at Huntingdon Furnace, Huntingdon Co., Pa. While he was an infant, his parents removed to Alleghany City, Pa., where the family resided until he was eight years old, when they moved to Huntingdon Furnace, Huntingdon Co., Pa. He lived in that region until 1876, and then moved to Illinois and located in Jacksonville; remained there eighteen months, and then lived in Washington Co., Illinois, until he came to Kansas in May, 1880. He was married September 14, 1865, at Rensselaer, Jasper Co., Ind. to Nannie J. Wright, a native of that place. They have buried one and have two children living - Miriam H. and William M.