|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ISENHART - JONES).
S. B. ISENHART, attorney, was born at Tiffin, Ohio, September 13, 1852. Lived only two years in his native place, then his parents moved with their family to Bryan, Williams Co., Ohio. He was graduated at Bryan Normal School and at Oberlin College. He graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan in March, 1879. In August, 1879, he came to Topeka where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession--about one year and a half in the office of Hon. J. M. Spencer, then alone in practice, until March, 1882, when Z. T. Hazen, his present partner, became associated with him. Mr. Isenhart is a member of Eden Lodge and Bryan Chapter, A. F. & A. M., Bryan, Ohio.
JOHN D. JAMES, carpenter, has been a resident of Cloud County, Kansas, owning a farm of 640 acres in that county, but has disposed of a portion of his land. Was elected president of the National Farmers' Alliance of the United States at the regular annual meeting in Chicago in October, 1881. Has been connected with that organization for ten years, and has visited every state in the Union, to organize subordinate State Alliances and strengthen the cause. Has delivered addresses to nearly every State organization, explaining the objects and aims, and the benefits to be derived therefrom. Has organized 223 subordinate alliances, and was for several years president of Cloud County Alliance. Is chairman of the finance committee of the Kansas State Alliance, and vice-president of alliances in the First Congressional District of Kansas. Was nominated as County Clerk in Cloud County in 1881, but declined for the reason that he preferred to devote his time to alliance work. Was editor and founder of the Enterprise Register of Dickinson County, and brought that paper up to a degree of prosperity that it never before enjoyed. Was born in Ogle County, Ill., July 3, 1848. Remained in his native county until he was thirty years of age--engaged in farming. Learned his trade there. Came to Kansas in 1879, first locating at Concordia, Cloud County, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising. Came to Topeka May 27, 1882. Was married July 6, 1871, at Ashton, Lee Co., Ill., to Miss Maggie A. Putnam, a native of Montgomery County, N. Y., and a distant relative of General Putnam of Revolutionary fame. Have two children--Henry L. and Kitty Louisa. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
HON. THOMAS M. JAMES, North Topeka, inspector of United States surveys, was born at Sandusky, Erie Co., Ohio, October 10, 1840. Remained in his native place until he was sixteen years of age, then entered Oberlin College, leaving that institution while a sophomore. He left college in 1861, and assisted in raising an infantry company for the One Hundred and Seventeenth Ohio Volunteers, which was consolidated in June, 1862, with the First Ohio Artillery, and Mr. James was made Second Lieutenant of Company B.; promoted in November, 1863, to First Lieutenant of Company D. He continued in service until several months after the close of the war. Returning to Ohio, he began the study of law, but soon thereafter was obliged to abandon it on account of ill health, and he then went to Illinois, where he remained until he came to Kansas October 16, 1866, locating on the northeast quarter of Section 17 Town 11 Range 16 being in Soldier Township, Shawnee County, where he now resides. In December, 1868, he was appointed Assistant Internal Revenue Collector, and in 1869 he removed to Topeka, but returned to reside on the farm the following year, holding the office before mentioned, however, until July 1, 1872. In 1871 he was elected County Treasurer and assumed the duties of that office July 1, 1872. He held that position two terms. Afterwards for two years he served as Deputy Treasurer, retiring from that position in the fall of 1878. He had been elected a member of the Legislature in November of that year, and served as a member of the Kansas House of Representatives during the session of 1879; afterwards giving his attention to his farming interests, having extensive agricultural and stock interests. For a short time in 1882 he was interested in mercantile business in North Topeka. In November, 1882, he was again elected a member of the Legislature. He has held various township offices, being now treasurer of his township. He has always been prominently identified with the Republican party, having been a delegate to several State conventions, Congressional conventions, and a member of the Shawnee County Republican Central Committee. He was appointed inspector of United States surveys March 2, 1882. Mr. James was married at Kansas City in January, 1870 to Laura A. Wendell, a native of Arrow Rock, Mo. They have three children--David W., Louis A. and Thomas M., Jr.
J. M. JAMESON, M. D., was born in Williamson County, Tenn., April 28, 1851. He received a good common school education. After attaining his majority, he began the study of medicine, first under a preceptor, and afterward taking a full course at Meharry Medical College at Nashville, Tenn., graduating there in 1877, and locating in Nashville, where he practiced medicine until the summer of 1881, when he located at Topeka. He there enjoys a good practice. He is the first colored graduate of any medical college in the South. He is a member of the Masonic order.
CHARLES JARRETT, market gardener and stone mason, Section 12, P. O. Topeka. Owns five acres. Rents and gardens thirty acres in addition thereto. Came to Kansas May 22, 1876, landing in Topeka, where he worked at his trade for two years. In March, 1878, bought and located here, renting the adjoining thirty acres. Enlisted as private, March, 1864, in Company C, Forty-fourth Regiment, United States Colored Infantry. Was in the engagement at Dalton, Georgia, where he, with a large portion of his regiment, was captured, but he succeeded in making his escape six days afterwards, making his way to a block house, twenty miles from Nashville, Tenn., where he, with 360 men, were attacked by 500 cavalry of Hood's command, holding them all the afternoon, and making their escape in the night to Nashville. Was also in the Battle of Nashville. Was mustered out April 30, 1866. Born in slavery in 1837 in White County, Tenn. Went to Nashville in 1866; came from there to Kansas. Was married in 1857 to Harriet Cummings. Has five children--Lucy, John, William, Samuel, and Mary. Is a member of the Benevolent Society.
WILLIAM HALL JENKINS, son of Samuel Jenkins, one of the earliest candidates for the presidency on the Abolition ticket, was born in Philadelphia, December 31, 1828, that city remaining his home until 1857. In his youth he learned the trade of sail-maker, and also of machinist, and in his early manhood served as Deputy Clerk of Circut sic Court four years and Master of Chancery six years. He afterwards moved to Princeton, Ill., and engaged in abstract business. Thence he came to Kansas, March 1, 1868, settling first in Lawrence, where he remained one year, and March 1, 1869, came to Topeka, since which time he has continuously resided in the city, engaged in abstract and money loan business. Mr. Jenkins was married in Philadelphia, October 15, 1850, to Annie W. Charlton, a native of Kidderminster, England. Two children have been born to them, but one of whom, Wm. Henry, is living. Mr. Jenkins is a member of the A. F. & A. M., of I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
CHARLES W. JEWELL was born at Marlboro, Middlesex Co., Mass., January 6, 1827. In 1846, at the age of nineteen, he removed to Harmon, Ohio, where he remained engaged in mercantile pursuits, until 1857, when with his brother, Lewis R., he engaged in steam-boating between Cincinnati and St. Louis, his brother building and being captain of the steamer 'Martha Putnam.,' of which Charles W. was clerk. February 14, 1860, he came to Kansas and first located about fifteen miles south of Fort Scott, on what was then known as the Cherokee Neutral Lands. He engaged in stock-dealing at this point, and was so employed until August, 1862, when he enlisted in the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, being commissioned Lieutenant of Company F. He remained in the army until he located in Topeka, in 1865, his family having moved to the place in July of the preceding year. Lewis R. Jewell, his brother, raised Company K, of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, in the summer of 1861, and at the organization of the regiment, in the ensuing fall, was elected Lieutenant Colonel, retaining that position until he received his death wound at the battle of Cane Hill, Ark., November 28, 1862. His death occurred November 30, 1862, two days afterward. He was a native of Marlboro, Mass. After removing to Topeka, Mr. Jewell went into banking business with F. W. Giles, the firm being organized February, 1866, as F. W. Giles & Co., and was continued until the Topeka National Bank was organized, April 1, 1872, Messrs. Giles and Jewell being the controlling stockholders, and Mr. Jewell being vice-president of the institution from its organization until August, 1878. The Topeka National was succeeded by the Topeka State Bank, of which Mr. Jewell is now president. He was married at Watertown, Ohio, to Susan A. Hendrie, a native of Stamford, Conn., but reared and educated in Watertown, Ohio. Their children, of whom there are seven, are: Charles Eugene, James Fred, Mary E., Kittie L., Fannie H., William B., and Susan.
A. B. JETMORE, attorney, was born in Muncie City, Delaware Co., Ind., May 25, 1837, and received his education at Muncie Seminary. In 1858 he was admitted to the bar in his native town, and subsequently to the bar of the Federal Courts, as also those of the States of Missouri and Kansas, where he stands at the head of his profession. A short time after his admission to the bar he removed to Hartford City, Ind., where he was engaged in practice until 1871. He came to Missouri in July of that year, and located at Warrensburg, remaining there until April 1, 1878, when he came to Topeka. He has been engaged in practice here; S. M. Gardenhire having been associated with him since April 2, 1882. Mr. Jetmore assisted in the formulation of the Prohibition Law, and himself framed the Sixteenth Section, in regard to the prohibition of club rooms, and was the attorney for the Kansas Legal Temperance Association, a society organized to assist in the enforcement of the Prohibitory Law. He was married near Muncie, Ind., April 26, 1860, to Maria P. Peterson, a native of Henry County, Ind. They have six children--Mary, now Mrs. S. M. Gardenhire of Topeka, Aaron P., Datie Nevada, Abraham H., Myrtle M., and Deforest. Mr. Jetmore is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church. Though not a politician, yet Mr. Jetmore is always found in the front of the political fray in vindicating the principles of the Republican party, of which he has been a member since the breaking out of the rebellion.
COL. A. S. JOHNSON, the oldest living son of the Rev. Thomas and Mrs. Sarah T. (Davis) Johnson, was born at the Shawnee Mission, in what is now Johnson County, Kan., on July 11, 1832, and to the welfare of that State he has given the best years of a thoughtful and laborious life. His early education was received at the mission school, founded by his father, and subsequently at what is now Central College in Fayette, Howard Co., Mo. From the age of seventeen to nineteen, his education course was continued in the academic department of the Shawnee Mission school, under the direction of his old Fayette teacher, the Rev. Nathan Scarrett. Having completed his studies in 1850-'51, he immediately entered upon a business life first as a clerk in J. G. Hamilton's Indian store, in Westport, Mo., and afterwards as clerk and then as partner with A. T. Ward & Co., and their successors, J. Siddelsburger & Co., in Kansas City. This house was the leading forwarding and commission house in that part of the West, nearly the whole of the immense New Mexican overland traffic passing through it until as late as 1854. When Kansas became a territory, Col., then Mr. Johnson, turned his attention to surveying, for which work he had been thoroughly fitted in his academic course of study. In the capacity of Deputy United States Surveyor, he subdivided the Government lands in Johnson County, and surveyed the lands for the Shawnee Indians, prior to their location by members of the tribe in severalty, under the terms of the treaty. The period of his government work covered four or five years. He had charge of the Shawnee Mission school after 1858, at which time his father left it, until it was finally closed in 1862. In March, 1855, not yet twenty-three years of age, he had been elected a member of the first Territorial Legislature, being the youngest member of that body. He was elected to the State Legislature from Johnson County, in 1866, and took a prominent part in the railroad legislation of the session. Col. Johnson was born and educated a Southerner. But he believed, as did his father, in the institutions of his country and his kindred. When the Government became endangered by civil outbreak, like his father he braved the extreme dangers surrounding him and openly avowed his allegiance to the Union. This was in time for him to vote for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860. He then made his first record as a Republican, at risk of his life, and his loyalty to party and country has never been tarnished. During the war of the Rebellion, he lived on the Missouri frontier, and was as thoroughly hated by the Missouri bushwhackers as any man in Kansas. He organized a military company, which was subsequently made a part of the Thirteenth Kansas Militia, of which he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel by Gov. Carney. He and his regiment were under arms or doing military service on the frontier, for nearly four years. The Kansas Militia service was perhaps the most arduous and dangerous of any which fell to the lot of the American soldier of those times. The record of their work appears in the general State history. Col. Johnson did the duty of a soldier faithfully and well. In 1866, the year of his second election to the Legislature, he was appointed Land Commissioner of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, which position he held until the spring of 1870, when he became connected with the A., T. & S. F. R. R. He acted as appraiser of railroad lands until 1873, as tax commissioner during 1873, and was appointed land commissioner of the road in 1874. He has since held the latter position, and in that capacity became identified, not only with the road, but with the development and growth of the whole region of Southwestern Kansas, through which the road passes, and in which lies the immense land grant now rapidly being settled by a hardy and industrious population. The area under his control is sufficient to make an ordinary Eastern State, and the population settled upon it since his administration exceeds 100,000 or one-tenth of the entire population of the State. He still owns the site of the old Mission where he was born, the school where he was educated, and the land surrounding the scene of his father's missionary labors. This he claims as his home. His residence has been in Topeka since his connection with the A., T. & S. F. R. R., in 1870. Col. Johnson married Miss Prudence C. Funk, of St. Joseph, Mo., in October, 1852. She died in September, 1874. On June 18, 1877, he married Miss Zippie A. Scott, of Manchester, N. H. His surviving children are: Nellie, now Mrs. Edwin Scott; Fannie, now Mrs. E. H. Davis; and Robert P., all residents of Topeka.
GEORGE Y. JOHNSON was born November 22, 1844, in Parke County, Ind. Was educated at Bloomingdale Academy, in the same county, and graduated in both the commercial department of that institution and in the Indianapolis Business College. Resided in Vermillion County, Ill., from November, 1849, until October, 1866. In 1866, he emigrated to Kansas, and located in Wakarusa Township, Douglas County, where he now resides, his attention being devoted to fruit culture and Short-horn cattle. He has thirty acres of his large farm devoted to fruit, and is thoroughly posted in everything pertaining to its best development and cultivation. He was Secretary of the Kansas Valley Fair Association three years. He is prominently connected with the State Horticultural Society, having been vice-president, treasurer and trustee at different times. He has also been secretary of the Kansas State Fair Association, since January, 1881. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Society of Friends, and an active Republican. He was married at Rockville, Ind., March 20, 1866, to Matilda Hadley, also a member of the Society of Friends, and educated at the Friends' School, at Providence, R. I. They have four children - Henry Herbert, Martha Elizie, sic Charles Hadley and Bertha.
CAPT. J. B. JOHNSON came to Kansas in September, 1865. Located at Oskaloosa, Jefferson County, and engaged in the practice of law. In January, 1877, he removed to Topeka and formed a law partnership with George R. Peck and Thomas Ryan, which continued until 1881, since which time he has been engaged in practice alone. Capt. Johnson was a member of the Kansas House of Representatives in 1868 and 1869, and was one of the Presidential Electors in 1876. He is now a member and the Speaker of the Kansas House of Representatives, and Chairman of the Republican State Central Committee. Capt. Johnson was born near Canton, Fulton Co., Ill., January 21, 1844, and educated at Prairie City Academy, McDonough Co., Ill. He enlisted in the Fifty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company A, in August, 1861, serving as a private until the battle of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, 1862, when he was promoted to Second Lieutenant. In the fall of the same year he was compelled to resign on account of disability caused by wounds. In the spring of 1864 he re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was elected Captain of Company D, and served until the close of the war, when he returned to Fulton County, Ill., and thence came to Kansas. He was married in Oskaloosa, Kan., November 11, 1866, to Anna M. Carson, of Weston, Mo. Capt. and Mrs. Johnson have five children - Maud E., Madge C., Mabel C., Benjamin C. and Bradford N. The Captain is a member of the G. A. R., A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter, and I. O. O. F.
J. C. JOHNSON, traveling agent for Caleb Chivers, came to Kansas in 1855, from Platte Co., Mo., and located in Leavenworth County; went from there to Atchison, and from thence to Topeka, in December, 1881. Was in the Kansas State Militia in 1864, called into Leavenworth to oppose Price's raid into Kansas. Was born September 25, 1846, in Platte Co., Mo., and remained in his native place until coming to Kansas, in 1855. Was married October 1, 1865, in Atchison County, Kan., to Mary E. Brown, a native of Knox County, Tenn. Has four children - Wyatt R., Sophia S., Jane E. and Pearl. Is a member of Christian Church, Topeka.
N. JOHNSON, farmer, Section 35, Township 12, Range 15 west, P. O. Pauline, came to Kansas in 1878, from Rockford, Ill., and located three miles north of Topeka, where he remained two years, and then removed to his present location. Was born December 23, 1826, in Charlestown, Sweden. Lived in Denmark two years, and worked at stone cutting. Came to America in 1854 and settled at Rockford, where he worked for twenty-four years at iron moulding, for N. C. Thompson, the celebrated manufacturer of agricultural implements. Was married in May, 1858, at Rockford to Caroline Larson, a native of Sweden; they have four children - Regina C., Olive B., Isadora and Vina. Is a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church of Topeka.
HON. WILLIAM H. JOHNSTON, now Attorney-General of the State, came to Kansas in April, 1872. Settled at Minneapolis, and engaged in the practice of law, being continuously engaged in his profession until he was elected in 1880, Attorney-General. In 1876, Mr. Johnston was a member of the House of Representatives, and State Senator from 1877 to 1880, serving also in 1878-79, as Assistant United States Attorney. He was born in Greenville County, Ont., July 24, 1849, and moved to Illinois in 1864, where he lived, with the exception of a brief period in Missouri, until he came to Kansas in 1872. He was married in Camden, Ohio, November, 1875, to Miss Lu B. Brown, of Camden. Mr. Johnston belongs to the Masonic fraternity, Blue Lodge and Chapter. He still resides at Minneapolis, although a member of the firm of Rossington, Johnston & Smith, of Topeka.
DANIEL C. JONES, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Kansas in August, 1868. He first settled at Junction City, where he resided until 1875. In January of that year he removed to Topeka, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born at Athens, Ohio, on the 5th of January, 1838, and at the age of twelve removed to Paris, Ill. He is a graduate of the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, and of Rush Medical College. From August 10, 1861, until the spring of 1866, he served as Surgeon of the Second Illinois Cavalry. In 1866 Dr. Jones married Jennie E. Austin, a native of Schenectady, N. Y. They have two children - Mattie and Adelia. He is a member of the State Medical Society, of which he was at one time the president. He is also a member of the Topeka Academy of Medicine and Surgery, president of the Eastern District Medical Society, and a member of the A. F. & A. M.