William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 27] [part 25] [Cutler's History]


PROF. EDWIN E. HEATH, teacher, was born in Corinth, Vt., November 7, 1846. His parents removed to California in 1855. Prof. Heath received his education in the schools of that State, graduating from the Stockton Seminary in 1862. He then returned to his native State, and in 1866 graduated in civil engineering from the Bradford Academy. He was then engaged for a year upon the survey of the Central Pacific R. R. in California, after which he entered the regular army and served his country upon the frontier for five years, holding all the grades of rank from a private to quartermaster, sergeant, and hospital steward. After leaving the army he was engaged for nearly two years in prospecting in the silver mines of New Mexico. Prof. Heath came to Kansas in 1873, locating at Junction City, where he held the position of teacher of the Grammar School until August, 1877, when he removed to Solomon City, and for one year held the position of principal of the school there. In November, 1878, he removed to Topeka, and has since been identified with the educational interests of that city, where for four years he has been principal of the Harrison School. Prof. H. is a prominent member of the K. of P., is also a member of Frontier Lodge No. 25, I. O. O. F. at Junction City; was representative to the Grand Lodge in 1878, and Chief Patriarch of the encampment two terms; married Miss Janet Miller at Junction City, July 25, 1876, and they have two children, Jeanie Ruth, born April 28, 1877, and Arthur Harvey, born June 20, 1879.

FRANK HERALD, attorney at law, was born in Tekonsha, Calhoun Co., Mich., July 9, 1849. He was educated at the Seminary, Ypsilanti, Mich., and at the Michigan State Normal School, and graduated from the law department of Michigan University in 1875; admitted to the bar of Indiana March 25, 1875, and began practice at Logansport in that State, where remained sic until 1878, when he came to Topeka. In 1879 he formed a partnership with J. W. Campbell, and they were associated together in practice of law for three years; since that time Mr. Herald has had no partner. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of P. March 19, 1877, he was married at Bryan, Ohio, to Miss D. G. Hyatt, a native of that place, and daughter of S. B. Hyatt, one of the leading citizens of the State. Mr. Herald has one child, George H., born August 28, 1882.

C. K. HERBOLDSHEIMER, grocer and general bottler of mineral water, came to Kansas February 3, 1858, from Kalamazoo, Mich. Located first at Junction City, and was in brewing business for two years; moved from there to Lecompton, and remained one year and then came to Topeka; was appointed recruiting officer for the Sixteenth Kansas by Gov. Carney, and served one year; enlisted in Company B, Forty-third Missouri Cavalry, May 13, 1863, and served three years; was operating against Bill Anderson and Gorden in Missouri chiefly; was acting quartermaster under Capt. Smith about two months; was mustered out in June, 1865; was born at Herzogenourauch, Bavaria, Germany, December 12, 1843; came to America with his parents when eight years old, lived at Rochester, N. Y. six months and moved to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he remained until coming to Kansas. Was married March 13, 1870 at Topeka, to Miss Laura B. Lesser; they have five children living, Julia B., C. K. Jr., Laura M., Lillian B. and Agnes; is a member of Turners' Association and Lutheran Church, of Topeka.

D. C. HEWITT, blacksmith and machine repairer, North Topeka, came to Lulu, Mitchell Co., Kan., in September, 1877, and engaged in blacksmithing and farming; came to Topeka in March, 1882, and opened a shop on his present location; was born December 16, 1835, at Carroll, Chautauqua Co., N. Y.; was married June 22, 1858, at Randolph, Cattaraugus Co., N .Y., to Betsey A. Spalding, of the same place. They have five children, viz., Louie May, now Mrs. George W. Ammons of Kansas City; Grace L., Agnes L., William L., Daniel S. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Beloit Lodge No. 130, Beloit, Kan.; is also a member of Encampment; was an active member of I. O. G. T., in New York, and is still an exponent of the principles of that Order.

J. B. HIBBEN, M. D., was born in Laurel, Ind., May 8, 1855. His father, Rev. Henry B. Hibben, is a chaplain in the U. S. Navy, now stationed at Philadelphia, and formerly professor of mathematics in Newport and Annapolis. Dr. Hibben was educated at Middletown Wesleyan University, Middletown, Conn., and of New York University, graduating from the medical department of the latter in the class of 1877. He commenced practice in the insane asylum at Flatbush, N. Y. and remained in that institution a year and a half, when he went to Dighton, Mass., where he remained until he returned to Brooklyn and made arrangements to come to Kansas. He located in Topeka, May, 1879, and has been associated with Dr. S. E. Sheldon as partner since September of the same year. He is assistant secretary of the State Medical Society and a member of the Kansas Eastern District Society, City Physician, and Member of the Board of Health.

MYRON HOLCOMB, contractor and builder, came to Kansas in 1869, locating at Topeka. Has been contracting about five years. Has had some large contracts, and business has averaged $6,000 per year. Keeps an average of six men employed. Enlisted in Decatur, Ill., in 1862, Company E, One Hundred and Sixteenth Illinois Infantry, as private. Was with his command at Chickasaw Bayou. Was all through the siege of Vicksburg and at the surrender. Was at Arkansas Post, Jackson, Atlanta, Chattanooga. Was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea and at the fall of Atlanta, and at Goldboro and Raleigh. Was promoted to Sergeant Major, and to Adjutant of the regiment in March, 1865. Was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., in July, 1865. Was born in Greene County, Ill., April 29, 1829. Resided in native county eighteen months, and then moved to Sangamon County where he resided until twenty-three years old, and learned his trade. Then moved to Macon County. After the war moved to McLean County, and from there to Kansas. Was married in Sangamon County, Ill., in 1852, to Miss Dorcas C. Winchell, a native of Franklin County, N. Y.; they have four children: Omar Alonzo, Carrie G., Lizzie B., and Minnie E. Is a member of Topeka Lodge No. 11, A. O. U. W. Family attend Presbyterian Church.

OMAR A. HOLCOMB, teacher was born near Springfield, Ill., March, 1855. Removed to Decatur when seven years old; resided there two years, then removed to Bloomington, Ill., where he continued to reside until 1869, when he first came to Kansas, locating at Topeka. Is a graduate of the Topeka High School. His first connection with the public schools was as principal of Jackson School, which position he held during the years 1879 and 1880. He was then transferred to Lincoln School as principal, which position he has held two years. Average attendance at Jackson about 270. Average at Lincoln, in 1882, about 660. He has been steadily advanced since his connection with the schools. Has entirely reorganized the Lincoln School, and it is now under thorough discipline and in harmonious and excellent working order. Married Miss Ella S. Fawkes, of Manhattan, February 28, 1879, and they have one child--Bernice, born February 12, 1880.

M. C. HOLMAN, furniture dealer, 435 Kansas avenue, North Topeka, was born in Bristol, N. H., March 5, 1852. He is a son of Rev. C. Holman, a Methodist Episcopal clergyman, now stationed at Corning, Kans., and being at present Secretary of the Kansas Conference. The subject of this sketch, M. C. Holman, only lived one year in his native town, then his parents removed to Great Falls, in the same State, and afterward to Dover, N. H.; also lived at Lawrence, Mass. He was educated in the New Hampshire Conference College, at Tilton, and came to Kansas with his parents in the spring of 1869, on account of his father's ill health. Engaged in the grocery business at Ottawa until the spring of 1873; then was book-keeper at Junction City until 1875, and later was engaged in the furniture business at Blue Rapids until the autumn of 1882 when he engaged in the same business in North Topeka, which he still continues. He was married at Blue Rapids in the spring of 1878, to Miss M. Emma Wright, of that place.

D. HOLMES, druggist, 247 Kansas avenue, is a native of Mount Morris, N. Y.; born September 19, 1836. In June, 1856, he removed to Rockford, Ill., where he clerked in a drug store till the breaking out of the war, when he responded to the first call, enlisting in Company D, Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three months, the term of enlistment in that regiment. In October, 1861, he enlisted again, this time in Battery E, First Illinois Light Artillery; was appointed First Sergeant, and served with that command until November, 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability resulting from sickness. After leaving the service and regaining his health he returned to Rockford, joined with Samuel Norton in purchasing the store of his former employer, and continued in the drug business under the firm name of Holmes & Norton till the spring of 1866, when he sold out to his partner and removed to Lapeer, Mich. where he was in the drug trade till the spring of 1869, when. on account of failing health, he disposed of his business and took a vacation of a year and a half. Having in view a healthful climate, he removed, in 1870, to southern Kansas and opened a drug store in Thayer, Neosho County, where he carried on the business till 1877, when he closed out his interest there and made, as he hopes, a permanent settlement in Topeka, where he since has been doing a lucrative business, having one of the most complete drug establishments in the city. Mr. Holmes was married in Chetopa Township, Wilson County, in June, 1872, to Mary E. Waggoner, a native of Moline, Ill. Mr. H. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the orders of A. F. & A. M. and the G. A. R.

C. B. HOPKINS, architect, came to Topeka in June, 1868, and engaged in building operations until the spring of 1881, when he became a partner of E. T. Carr, architect. Among the buildings at Topeka which he has planned may be mentioned the dwellings of Edwin Scott, W. W. Manspeaker and Judge McFarland. Also the City Building, the Union Block, J. D. Knox, Manspeaker's Block, McLaughlin's store building, Grange and Masonic building at Manhattan, etc. He has also made the plans for schoolhouses at Abilene, Manhattan and Sabetha; a bank at Minneapolis, Kan., a church at Rossville, and other public buildings. Mr. Hopkins was born at Lima, Livingston Co., N. Y., March 5, 1830. When an infant his parents moved to Huron County, Ohio, which place remained his home for ten years. He then lived five years in Erie County, Ohio, six years in Dekalb County, Ind., and about a year in Florida, Henry Co., Ohio. Thence he migrated to Erie County and stayed a summer, then to Huron County, thence to Cleveland and finally to Upper Sandusky, Wyandotte Co., Ohio, where he remained twelve years prior to his removal to Kansas. He was married in Norwalk, Huron Co., Ohio, July 4, 1856, to Rosannah M. Washburn, a native of the State of New York. They have four children--George W., Eugene L., Francis M., and Ella May.

COL. DANIEL H. HORNE was born in Dover, N. H., February 26, 1828. Lived there until he was fifteen years of age; then went to Haverhill, Mass., where he learned the trade of tanner and currier. After serving two years' apprenticeship he embarked in the business for himself at Salem; afterwards at Woburn, Charlestown, and Boston until he was twenty-six years of age. He was married at Woburn, Mass., April 22, 1849, to Maria L. Hovey, a native of Cambridge, Mass. In November, 1854, Mr. Horne started for Kansas alone, arriving at Kansas City November 30. December 1 he first reached Kansas soil, and on the 3d of that month he was selected, at Lawrence, as chairman of a committee to proceed west from there and select a town site for thirteen members of the meeting of men who desired to locate together. The result of the investigations and judgment of the committee of which he was the chairman was the location of the Topeka town site. At the Lawrence meeting, Dr. Charles Robinson, C. K. Holliday, and M. C. Dickey (neither of whom was of the original thirteen before mentioned) came in and stated that there was a good location twenty-five miles west of Lawrence, on the Kansas River, Mr. Dickey stating that the land had been secured by himself and three associates, Enoch Chase, Jacob Chase and George Davis, who were then on the ground. Upon the representations made, the committee, composed of Daniel H. Horne, F. W. Giles, L. G. Cleaveland, and S. A. Clark, accompanied by Dickey, Holliday and Robinson, proceeded to the point designated, where they found the Chases and George Davis. These gentlemen and Mr. Dickey were given the choice of 160-acre claims outside of the town-site limits if they would relinquish their rights to the claim where it was proposed to locate the town, they, however, to also have equal rights as members of the town company. Col. C. K. Holliday also became a member of the town company. The company adopted a resolution providing that no distribution of lots or claims should be made (except the selection of claims by Enoch Chase, Jacob Chase, M. C. Dickey and George Davis), until the men they had left at Lawrence should arrive, so that they might have an equal chance with the members of the committee in securing claims and lots. After their arrival a distribution was made by lottery, Jonas C. Greenwood, securing the first choice. He selected a claim where the A., T. & S. F. shops are now located, which he immediately disposed of to T. J. Thornton for a consideration of $15. Daniel H. Horne secured the second choice, and selected a claim west of town site, where he now resides The Colonel has been engaged in farming more or less since his location here, also dealing extensively in real estate. He was chosen Marshal of the Free-state squatters, and Captain of the Topeka Guards, a Free-state organization. In the fall of 1855 he was captain of another military company which was organized to proceed to the relief of Lawrence, which had been surrounded by the border ruffians. Prior to the commencement of the War of the Rebellion he was commissioned, by Governor Robinson, Colonel of the Fourth Kansas Regiment, Southern Division. He had previously been elected Colonel by the members of the regiment, composed of men from Osage, Wabaunsee and Shawnee counties. This regiment was kept up until after the war broke out; then the men went into the First, Second and Fifth Kansas Volunteers. In August, 1862, the Colonel enlisted as a private in Company E, Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was made First Sergeant-Major upon the organization of the regiment. While with that command he participated in the battles of Fort Wayne, Kane Hill, Prairie Grove, the taking of Van Buren, and minor engagements. In February, 1863, he was commissioned by President Lincoln Captain in the Fourth Indian Brigade; served in that brigade until it was mustered out of the service in the fall of the same year. He was chosen, in the fall of 1864, Captain of Company A, Second Regiment, commanded by Col. George W. Veale, participating in a campaign of two weeks in pursuit of Price. For his faithful and courageous conduct while engaged in this service he received several manifestations of approval from the commander of the forces, the post of honor being assigned to him of guarding the crossing where it was expected the rebels would attempt to cross the Blue. During this time he was a candidate against Col. Veale for State Senator and was elected. He was a member of the City Council and President of the Board of Aldermen in 1871; being acting Mayor at the time of the Chicago fire of that year, all money from this point was sent by him to the sufferers, $5,400 being sent at one time. He organized the Topeka Manufacturing Company, completing the organization of that company March 16, 1883. He is a member of the Congregational Church and of the A. F. & A. M. He was one of the early constables of Topeka, having been commissioned by Governor Reeder. The wife of his early manhood still lives to cheer him in the declining years of his life. Their union has been blessed by a large family of children, four of whom survive--Georgia W., Daniel H., Jr., Mary and James B. Those deceased are as follows: Millard F., who died at the age of three years; Lizzie, who died a few months after birth; Kittie and Lillie, twins, died at six months; Samuel survived until he was nine years of age; a charming daughter, Rilla, died in 1883, aged twenty-three years.

JOHN HORTON, market gardener, Section 28, P. O. Topeka. Owns twenty acres. Came to Kansas in 1870. First stopped in Lawrence for four years, and then came to Topeka. Bought this place and located on it in the fall of 1879. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, July 2, 1827. Came to the United States in 1856, first locating in Rockford, Ill., and came from there to Kansas. He was married to Mrs. Cecelia Weckman in 1879, Mrs. H. having two children by a former marriage--Hilma and Daniel, and two children by the present marriage--John and Charles. Mr. Horton is a member of the Baptist Church.

J. K. HUDSON is a native of Carollton, Caroll Co., Ohio, where he was born May 4, 1840. He was the eldest of six sons of John and Rebecca (Rothacker) Hudson. His father was of English parentage, and was engaged in active business life at various points in Eastern Ohio for nearly forty years, being a practical printer from early boyhood, and during his residence in Ohio, the publisher of various journals. He was a man of strong moral and religious convictions which was evinced in a peculiarly upright life and exemplary character. He was an active member of the Methodist Church, a radical temperance reformer, and a staunch Republican so long as he lived. He did honorable service in the Northern army during the late war, despite his years. He died in Kansas City, Mo., while visiting his sons, in June, 1877. His mother was of German parentage. She was one of the million silent heroines who watched and suffered and waited during the war, and suffering made no sign. With her husband and four sons in the service, her heart was with them, she went to her rest, in July, 1865--one short month before their safe return. The subject of this sketch received his primary education in the public schools of Salem, Ohio, which was supplemented by a most thorough course of private study after leaving school. He learned the art of printing in his father's printing office, in Salem, Ohio, where the Anti-Slavery Bugle, one of the most radical abolition journals of the time, was published for several years. He left Salem, Ohio, in July, 1861, in company with Barclay Coppick and several other companions, and came to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, where they immediately enlisted in the Third Regiment Kansas Volunteers (Lane's Brigade), and commenced active service at once, being first marched to Fort Scott, thence to Kansas City, with the intent of relieving Mulligan at Lexington, Mo. He followed the fortunes and labors of his regiment, doing the full duty of an American soldier, to Springfield, Mo., and late in the fall to Mound City, Kansas, where the command went into winter quarters. He was at this time promoted from Orderly-Sergeant to Second Lieutenant of his company. In the spring of 1862 the Army of the Frontier was organized at Fort Scott, and the Third and Fourth Kansas Regiments, forming a part of the new organization, were consolidated, being thereafter known as the Tenth Regiment of Kansas Infantry. Mr. Hudson was appointed as First Lieutenant of Company C, in the new regiment, which was assigned to the Third (Weir's) Brigade. In the campaign of 1862, he was acting as Assistant Adjutant General of the Brigade. He bore himself with bravery in the battles of Newtonia, Fort Wayne, Cane Hill, Prairie Grove, Van Buren, and the various skirmishes in which his command was engaged, being especially commended in the official reports for personal bravery and merit displayed at the battle of Prairie Grove. In 1863 he served on the staff of General Davies, at Rolla, Mo., and subsequently as Aid-de-Camp to General Scofield, being stationed at St. Louis, Mo. In December of that year he was promoted as Major of the First Missouri Colored Infantry, afterwards known as the Sixty-second Regiment, United States Colored Infantry. He served during the campaign of 1864, with his regiment, on the lower Mississippi, and the mouth of the Rio Grande in Texas. He subsequently served on the staff of Gen. E. B. Brown, at Brownsville, Texas, and was mustered out at the close of the war, in July, 1865, having been in the service four years. In September, 1865, he became a permanent resident of Kansas. He bought a farm in Wyandotte County, on which lived sic for eight years, being employed largely in stock raising, and in the growing of general farm crops. During this period he became closely identified with the agricultural interests of the State, being one of the Regents of State Agricultural College, by the appointment of Gov. Osborn. During his term of service, largely through his efforts, the management of the institution was so changed as to make it practically subserve the objects for which it was established, instead of the more theoretical and sectarian interests that would have brought it ultimately into disrepute. In 1871 he was a member of the Kansas House of Representatives from the Thirty-seventh Assembly District, and, in the Senatorial session of that election, voted for Hon. Samuel J. Crawford, as opposed to Hon. Alexander Caldwell, the successful candidate. The confidence of his fellow citizens has been often evinced--in January, 1874, by twenty-four votes in the Kansas Legislature for United States Senator; and in the fall of that year by the nomination by the Reform party as Congressional Representative from the Third District, running in the ensuing canvass ahead of his ticket in every county in the district. His journalistic career commenced 1873, at which time he purchased the Kansas Farmer. Since that time he has been constantly identified with the press of Kansas, as appears in the sketches of the various publications with which he has been identified, all of which have been successful in such degree as to place him in the first rank as to editorial and business ability. He was with his business partner, Mr. E. E. Ewing, the founder of the Capital, and its first editor. He is the business manager of the publishing company now owning it. Mr. Hudson has ever been a Republican in politics, and on the temperance, and other moral questions, takes advanced and radical ground. He has, since the question has become a factor in State politics, been a staunch advocate of the principle of prohibition, as now embodied in the State Constitution, and in the Statutes based thereon. Mr. Hudson married Mary W. Smith, daughter of Edmund K. and Sarah T. Smith, in Wyandotte, August 5, 1863. They have had four children, three of whom survive: Mary E., Anna Josephine and Paul. Their second daughter, Ada, died in infancy.

RICHARD G. HUGHES, grocer, was born near Brookville, Jefferson Co., Pa., October 22, 1835. Lived in his native county until he was about twenty-five years of age, when he removed to Oil City, Pa., where he was engaged in putting down oil wells, until he came to Topeka in April, 1868 (after having "struck oil"). He engaged in grocery business soon after coming here, on the corner of Sixth street and Topeka avenue, and continued in business there until May, 1882, when he sold out, and built his present elegant store, No. 285 Kansas Avenue, and began business in it about the middle of September, 1882. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the I. O. O. F. During the early part of the war, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, but was rejected by the medical examiner. Mr. Hughes was married in Curlisville, Clarion Co., Pa., May 28, 1858, to Catherine Benn, a native of that place. They have three children: Speed Fry, sic Hubert Earl and Leverte Winno. sic

[TOC] [part 27] [part 25] [Cutler's History]