|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HACKNEY - HAZEN).
CLEMENT HACKNEY, assistant superintendent of the Locomotive and Car Department, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., a son of Mr. George Hackney, was born in Warrington, Lancashire Co., Eng., May 16, 1848. He was educated in Milwaukee, Wis., (where his father had settled in 1855) in the district schools and Lincoln Commercial College in that city. He commenced his railroad life in 1860, serving an apprenticeship of over three years in the shops of the Prairie du Chien R. R., at Milwaukee. In August, 1863, he began firing on a locomotive and in August, 1865, was placed in charge of an engine, which he continued to operate until 1871, when he resigned, to take the position of master of transportation in the Milwaukee Iron Works, being also attached to the mechanical department. Removed to Kansas in June, 1878, to take present position.
GEORGE HACKNEY, superintendent of the Locomotive and Car Department, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., was born in the town of Conyleton, Cheshire Co., Eng., May 26, 1826. He was educated in his native county and commenced the machinist's trade as a boy. About 1846 was employed in locomotive shops in Newton, England, and afterwards in the shops of the London, Brighton & Lancashire R. R. at Brighton. In 1852 he came to the United States, locating in New York City, where he was connected with the Hoe Printing Press Works until 1855, when he moved to Wisconsin and was appointed master mechanic of the Milwaukee & Mississippi R. R., having his headquarters at Milwaukee. He retained this position about seven years, then resigned, to engage in the manufacturing of stationary and marine engines. About two years later accepted a position on the Chicago & Northwestern R. R., at Chicago. Shortly afterward was appointed chief engineer of the Milwaukee Iron Works and in this position superintended the construction of the extensive blast furnaces and rolling mills of that company at Milwaukee. He was connected with this company from 1865 until the spring of 1876, when the Works were absorbed by the North Chicago Rolling Mill Company. In 1876 Mr. Hackney was appointed master mechanic of the C., B. & Q. R. R., at Galesburg, Ill., where he remained until June, 1878, when he received the appointment to the position he now holds.
HERMAN M'CLURE HADLEY, architect, came to Topeka December 25, 1877, and engaged in teaching the first winter. In the spring he purchased a farm in Jackson County, and upon which he resided for two years, from March, 1878, to March, 1880. He then came to Topeka and has been engaged in the profession of an architect since that time. He designed and superintended the construction of the Catholic Church, Mrs. Mallow's residence, corner of Eighth and Harrison streets; J. S. Earnest's residence, M. A. Pond's Business College, T. S. Lyon's residence, the A., T. & S. F. hotel and depot at Newton, recently erected at a cost of $60,000, the Presbyterian Church at Garnett, the residence of A. A. Hurd, attorney of the A., T. & S. F. R. R., James Brewer's residence, James B. Haydon's residence, the Episcopal Church at North Topeka, schoolhouse at Meriden, Kan., and the residences of William Brooks, C. M. Foulks, claim agent A., T. & S. F. R. R., block of store buildings for G. F. King, at Holton, G. W. Carey's residence and many others, and rendered valuable assistance in the design and detailing of the State House. He was born near Hamilton, Canada, April 13, 1850, and at the age of fifteen months removed to New York City, which was his home until six years of age. He then lived on a farm at Brewsters, about fifty miles north of New York City, until 1869. Then taught school and prepared for college, and having earned $100 entered Cornell University, at Ithaca, N. Y., and with that and what money he earned while in college, spent five years there, and graduated first in his class, June 15, 1876, taking the regular course in architecture and receiving the degree of Bachelor of Architecture at the time of his graduation. During two years of his college course he made drawings for the New York Condensed Milk Company, and after graduating was employed by that company in the capacity of architect, and superintendent of buildings and machinery until the spring of 1877. He was married at Topeka, January 10, 1878, to Etta J. Warden, a native of Elgin, Kane Co., Ill. They have one child--Gertrude Ethelwynne, and lost one aged thirteen months.
EUGENE HAGAN, attorney, is a native of Monroe City, Monroe Co., Mo.; was educated at the Jesuit College, St. Mary's, Kansas, and at University of Louisville, Ky., attending the former institution from 1870 until 1873, when he entered the University before mentioned, graduating from the law department thereof in 1878. In November, 1878, he located in Topeka with the well-known law firm of Peck, Ryan & Johnson until the dissolution of the partnership of that firm in the spring of 1882, since which time Mr. Hagan has been associated in practice with Hon. J. B. Johnson.
CLEMENT H. HALLOWELL, M. D. was born in Bangor, Maine, August 13, 1854. He acquired a literary and scientific education at Colby University, Waterville, Maine, from which he graduated in 1876 with the degree of A. B., and his medical education at Boston University, from which he graduated in 1879. He commenced practice at Lawrence, Mass., in which place he remained a year; was then at Exeter, N. H., for a year and a half and came to Kansas February 1, 1881. Dr. Hallowell is secretary of the Kansas State Homeopathic Medical Society, and a member of the Essex County Medical Society in Massachusetts.
HON. JAMES H. HALLOWELL, now United States District Attorney, came to Kansas and located at Columbus, May 17, 1869, since which time he has been continuously engaged in the practice of law. Since his residence in the State he has served two terms in the House of Representatives, and four years as State Senator. He was also, for three years, member of the Board of Regents of the Agricultural College at Manhattan, being appointed United States District Attorney in June, 1879. Mr. Hallowell was born in Montgomery Co., Pa., December 27, 1842. When a youth of six or seven years, his father moved to Indiana, in which state James R. received his general and legal education, attending Asbury University, at Greencastle, and reading law with P. M. Rice, of Rockville. April 11, 1861, he enlisted in Lew Wallace's Zouave Regiment, Eleventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, being mustered in on the 17th of the same month, for three months service. At the expiration of his term he re-enlisted in Company I, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted immediately to First Lieutenant, June, 1864, to Major; the following day to Lieutenant Colonel, having previously served as Adjutant of the brigade, and October, 1864, to Colonel of the regiment. He was mustered out January 16, 1866, and returned to Indiana, where he remained until his removal to Kansas. He was married in Montgomery Co., Ind., November 28, 1871, to Samantha H. Montgomery, of that county. They have one son, named Montgomery. Col. Hallowell is still a resident of Columbus, a member of G. A. R. and A. F. & A. M.
T. J. HANKLA came to Kansas in 1869, and first located at Leavenworth, where he remained about two years. In 1871 he moved to Emporia and engaged in hotel business, which he carried on in that place until October, 1877, when he came to Topeka and leased the Fifth Avenue Hotel, of which he was proprietor until June, 1882. He opened the Windsor, February 1, 1882, one of the finest and best conducted hotels in Kansas, and of which he is now proprietor. Mr. Hankla is a native of Boyle County, Ky., which was his home until 1869. His brother Joseph has been associated with him since 1876; firm of T. J. Hankla & Bro.
HARRIS & McARTHUR, proprietors Fifth Avenue Hotel, built in 1872 and opened by Mr. Bruno. The house contains forty-five rooms, and has a capacity for 150 guests. June 19, 1882, the present proprietors, Messrs. Harris & McArthur, of Columbus, Ohio, assumed control of the house, since which time they have greatly improved the house, and increased patronage shows how well they perform the duties of hotel managers. Edward Harris, senior member of the firm, is a native of Belmont County, Ohio, where he was born June 1, 1835. Resided there until he was twenty-three years of age, and in 1858, moved to Pickerington, Fairfield County, where he continued to reside until moving to Kansas. For several years was engaged in raising and breeding fine stock horses and cattle, the horses being of Hambletonian, Hiatoga and Morgans; the cattle were Short-horns. Was married in February, 1858, near Barnesville, Belmont Co., Ohio, to Miss Susan B. Atwell, a native of that county, and has two children living--Maitland and Mary B.
HUBERT H. HARRIS, a resident of Topeka since April, 1881, was born near Warrenton, Warren Co., N. C., June 6, 1836. In 1844 he moved with his parents to Bedford, Tenn., remaining in that place until 1861, when he again moved to Harrisburg, Saline Co., Ill., where he remained until he came to Topeka. He entered the United States service in 1862, enlisting in Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, a company of which he was instrumental in raising. He resigned, January, 1863, being then First Lieutenant of his company, on account of disability caused by sickness. He was admitted to the bar of Illinois in 1868, and practiced in Harrisburg until his removal to Topeka. Mr. Harris was married in Bedford County, Tenn., August, 1857, to Tabitha A. Wells, of the same county. Their seven children are--Thomas D., William W., Flora, now Mrs. Pankey, of Illinois, Anna and Edward, twins, and Minnie and Lulu.
J. W. HARTZELL located in Topeka in 1876, and for three years succeeding he was proprietor of the Tefft House. In 1879 he bought out the Topeka Omnibus Company, and in 1880 purchased the business of Bolmar's Freight City Line, and incorporated the combination under the title of Topeka Transportation and Omnibus Company; capital $25,000. J. W. Hartzell, president and general manager, and H. F. Hartzell, Sec'y and Treas. When Mr. H. bought the omnibus line, there were sixteen horses and four omnibuses employed, now there are seventy horses, seven omnibuses and twenty freight wagons. They also run a large freight warehouse, having consigned to them all the uncalled-for freight of the U. P. and A. T. & S. F. R. R., which accumulates in ten days after receipt. Mr. Hartzell projected and built the Topeka City Street Ry., and ran the road for four months, when he sold to the present company. He also established Hartzell's Park, situated on Soldier Creek, on Kansas avenue extension, which contains forty acres fitted up pleasantly for pleasure parties, with refreshment halls, boats for rowing and sailing on the creek, swings, etc. The street railway was extended to the park during the summer of 1882, and large camp meetings and Sunday-school conventions were held there. Mr. H. was one of the charter members of the Water Works Company, and is a member of the first board of directors.
DAVID A. HARVEY, Probate Judge, is a native of Nova Scotia, but spent his youth and was educated in Ohio, his residence being Moscow, Clermont County. In 1869 he came to Topeka, and was for time employed as a civil engineer and surveyor, being connected with the construction of the A., T. & S. F. R'y, and County Surveyor. In 1874 he commenced the practice of law, and was elected County Judge in November, 1880.
NATHAN HARVEY, proprietor of the Harvey House, No. 226 Van Buren street, came to Kansas in 1864, from Richmond, Ind. Farmed three years and was Assistant Internal Revenue Collector for five years. Mr. Harvey was engaged in farming and milling during most of his life, ten miles west of Richmond, Ind. Was engaged in many works of internal improvements in Indiana, among which were Whitewater Valley Canal, Indiana Central R. R., and the National Road, cutting timber and marking the course through the then trackless forest. Was born November 21, 1813, at Richmond, Ind. In his boyhood days went to school in the log schoolhouse in winter and worked at clearing land in summer. Was engaged one year in propagating silk. Ex-Gov. James M. Harvey was a distant relative of his. Mr. Havey was born and bred in the Society of Friends, and is still of that faith. Mr. H. came to Kansas before there were any railroads, but was always anxious to promote those important enterprises by all means in his power. Was married in 1833, in Bartholomew County, Ind., to Miss Mildred Newsome, a member of the Society of Friends. Have four children--James M., a contractor on the State House and Government Court House and Postoffice; Sarah J., now Mrs. Gilpatrick; Mary E., now Mrs. Worall, whose husband Prof. Worall is superintendent of the agricultural exhibit of the A. T. & S. F. R. R.; and Lydia E., who died in 1872.
JOHN G. HASKELL is a native of Milton, Chittenden Co., Vt., where he was born February 5, 1832. He is a son of Franklin Haskell, who was born in Weathersfield, Vt. His grandfather was Gideon Haskell, born in Tolland, Conn. The family originally came to America from Edinburgh, Scotland, settling about 1630 in the vicinity of Gloucester or Beverly, Mass. Roger Haskell left Beverly, and purchased a large tract of land near Norwich, Conn. as early as 1708. Elijah, one of Roger's sons, removed to Tolland, Conn. He served during the revolutionary war as a soldier, and died soon after from disease contracted by exposure in the service of his country. His widow, Sarah (Read) Haskell, removed with her sons (among whom was Gideon, grandfather of the subject of this sketch) to Weathersfield, Vt., in 1780. John was bred on a farm, and received the advantages of the district schools. He left home at the early age of eleven years, and for three years thereafter earned his living on a neighboring farm. He early showed a peculiar taste for architecture and the sciences pertaining to structural work. At the age of seventeen he was apprenticed to Mr. Edmund Jones, of Wilbraham, Mass., to learn the carpenter's trade. At the age of twenty-one he had learned thoroughly his trade, and by strict economy accumulated a small sum of money. Determined to fit himself for his chosen profession--architect--he entered the Wesleyan Seminary, Wilbraham, where fitted for a collegiate course, which he completed at Brown University, Providence, R. I. During these years he wrought at his trade during his vacations, and practiced the strictest economy. In 1855 he went to Boston, and there first began the work of his chosen profession. He was employed by a leading architect of the city for nine months, at the expiration of which time he entered into a copartnership with his employer, which continued for the succeeding eighteen months. In 1857, on the death of his father, who had become a resident of Kansas, Mr. Haskell removed to that State to look after the interests of the family. He came at the dying request of his father; and by so doing, put behind him the most encouraging and flattering prospects of his then well established and lucrative business. He was one of the earliest architects to make Kansas their home, and his ability and skill in his profession soon found full appreciation in this new and untried field. His business increased rapidly until the paralysis occasioned by the terrible drouth of 1860, when building, as well as all other enterprises involving the expenditure of money, ceased. For the succeeding six years he did no building. In 1860 he was engaged in the distribution of relief supplies to the Kansas sufferers. In 1861 he was made deputy Quartermaster General, and was active in the outfitting of the first three Kansas regiments. He was mustered in as Quartermaster of the Third Kansas Infantry, July 24, 1861. In June, 1862, he was appointed by President Lincoln as army Quartermaster on the general staff of the army, with rank of Captain, and assigned to duty in the military division of Gen. James G. Blunt. He served as Chief Quartermaster of the Army of the Frontier until January, 1864. March, 1864, he was assigned to duty as Chief Quartermaster of the depot of supplies for the Fifteenth Army Corps and the Department of Arkansas, at Little Rock, where he continued until the close of the war. He was honorably mustered out of the service in November, 1865. For meritorious services at Little Rock he was commissioned Major and Quartermaster by the President of the United States. In 1866 he was commissioned Colonel and Quartermaster General of the State of Kansas by Gov. Crawford, which office he held three years. During his incumbency he had charge of fitting out of the troops for the Indian campaigns of 1867-68. Since the close of the war he has, with the exception above noted, applied himself closely to the duties of his profession. He deservedly ranks with the most skillful architects of the West. In nearly every considerable village in Kansas are found monuments of his taste and skill. In 1872 he associated in business with Lewis M. H. Wood, the firm being Haskell & Wood, which still continues. The following impartial list of buildings planned or built by Mr. Haskell and the firm of which he is a member attests equally to their industry, skill and taste: Built or planned by Mr. Haskell--State Capitol, State University, Washburn College, Bethany College, Chase County Court House, Greenwood County Court House. Built or designed by Haskell & Wood--Osawatomie Insane Asylum, Topeka Insane Asylum, State Reform School, Lawrence Opera House, Barton County Court House, Topeka Opera House, First National Bank, Emporia, Hutchinson Opera House, Lyons Schoolhouse, Halstead Schoolhouse, Arkansas City Opera House, Olathe Deaf and Dumb Asylum; also many of the finest residences and business blocks in Topeka and other Kansas cities. In 1878 Mr. Haskell was appointed superintendent of construction for the new United States Courthouse and Postoffice at Topeka, which position he now (1883) holds, and the exterior of the building is complete. Mr. Haskell was married to Miss Mary Elizabeth Bliss, daughter of Luther B. Bliss, Wilbraham, Mass., December 22, 1859. They have had three children. Two daughters still survive. Mr. Haskell first made his home near Lawrence, upon the place first located by his father in September, 1854, where he continues to reside.
J. R. HATHAWAY, now secretary of the Kansas Lumber Company, and president of the Topeka Opera House Company, has been connected with the Kansas Lumber Company since his location in the city, July, 1880. He is also secretary of the Western Investment Company. Mr. Hathaway is a native of Cortland, Cortland, Co., N. Y. He removed to Fargo, D. T., in 1879, where he remained until he came to Topeka. The Kansas Lumber Company was organized May 21, 1878. W. C. Edwards, president; John McCulloch, secretary. Capital stock, $100,000. The present officers are: W. C. Edwards, president; J. R. Hathaway, secretary; C. H. Bradford, treasurer. Incorporated January 10, 1882.
EDWARD HAWES, general manager of the Kansas Brick Company, came to Kansas May 14, 1877, and located at Topeka, from Newburg, Orange Co., N. Y. Has been in the brick business for one year in Kansas; was born October 29, 1850, in Haverstraw-on-the-Hudson, N. Y.; when quite young moved with his parents to Newburg, and remained there until coming to Kansas; engaged in the manufacture of brick, and for eight years prior to coming to Kansas, was contracting and building; was married June 10, 1876, at Newburg, N. Y., to Miss Charlotte Worsley, who was born near Mariposa, Canada, East. They have two children, James Edward and Mary Maud; is a member of Topeka Lodge No.-- K. of P.; is a member of the Republican party, and of the Flambeau Club, of Topeka.
OLIVER H. HAY of the firm of Hay, Gammon & Co., dry goods merchants, is a native of Charlestown, Mass. Was a resident of Brookline, Mass., for about fifteen years prior to his removal to Topeka in the spring of 1879. He had been engaged in the dry goods business for over thirty-five years in Boston and vicinity, before coming to Kansas, being a member of the well known firm of Spalding, Hay & Wales, wholesale and retail dry goods merchants of Boston, just prior to coming West. In March, 1879, the dry goods house of Hay, Gammon & Co. was established at Topeka. F. R. Gammon, who had been in the employ of Spalding, Hay & Wales, and afterward in business for himself at Laconia, N. H., is a native of Laconia, N. H. This firm have one of the most elegant dry goods establishments in the State, giving employment to a dozen clerks. They do a retail business and jobbing business to some extent.
M. C. HAYWOOD, artist, was born in Saline, Mich., August 21, 1853. When he was about six years old, his parents moved to Kansas, locating near Topeka. He received a good common school education, graduating at the High School of Vassar, Mich. He then studied painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, at Philadelphia. He returned to Topeka three years ago, and now enjoys a good patronage. He makes portrait and figure painting a specialty, although he gives considerable attention to scenic painting.
WM. R. HAZEN, attorney and Justice of the Peace, was born in Sunmans, Ripley Co., Ind., August 14, 1852. He was educated at the Indiana University, and Moore's Hill College, graduating from the latter institution. He read law in Versailles, Ind., and commenced practice there, remaining in that place until he came to Topeka in the fall of 1878; engaged in practice here until he was appointed Justice of the Peace, in April, 1880. In April, 1881, he was elected to the same position, and re-elected April 3, 1883. He was married at Sunmans, Ind., in October, 1878, to Emma M. Alden, a native of New Hampshire. They have one child, Effie Pearl. The Judge is a member of Lodge No. 17, A. F. & A. M.