|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (BACHER - BROWN).S. BACHER, manufacturer of furniture, was born in Burlington, Iowa, October 22, 1856. He has worked at the business which he is now engaged in since he was fourteen years of age, having been employed several years in Chicago, Galesburg, Ill., and Ottumwa, Iowa. He came to Topeka in July, 1881, and has been engaged in furniture business here since that time. He keeps an elegant stock of upholstered furniture, and if his patrons are unable to make satisfactory selections therefrom he will manufacture to order, on short notice, such goods as they may desire. He has ample facilities, and keeps from six to seven men constantly employed in the manufacturing department of his business. Mr. Bacher is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., and the Turners' Society.
FRANK BAILEY, M. D., is a native of Galesburg, Ill. His principal literary education was acquired at Blackburn University, in Illinois, and at Wabash College, Indiana. For two years he attended the St. Louis Medical College, at St. Louis, and afterward entered Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, and graduated from the latter institution. He came to Topeka in November, 1882. Since February, 1883, he has been associated as a partner with Dr. D. C. Jones, one of the skillful physicians of this city. Dr. Bailey is a son of Rev. J. W. Bailey, D. D. of Columbus, Ohio, now one of the trustees of the Western Theological Seminary, of Allegheny City, Pa. Also for twelve years President of Blackburn University, at Carlinville, Ill., and prior to that time was for eight years one of the professors of Knox College, Galesburg, Ill.
THOMAS H. BAIN, attorney and real estate agent, was born at Marysville, Union Co., Ohio, December 27, 1852, and was educated in the public schools of his native county and at the National Normal School, at Lebanon, Ohio. He graduated August 18, 1876, and then read law at Marysville until May 1, 1880, when he came to Kansas. His first location was at Great Bend, where he remained until January 1, 1881, at that date removing to Topeka, where he had established a business in October, 1880. He was admitted to the bar of Kansas, December 5, 1881, and has since been engaged in practice at Topeka in connection with his real estate business. Mr. Bain was married at Norwalk, Ohio, September 25, 1879, to Mary E. Martin, a native of Collins, Huron Co., Ohio. They have one child--May. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Good Templars, being recording secretary of Shawnee Lodge, No. 1, I. O. O. F.
R. J. BAIRD, carpenter and builder, residence 90 Clay street, between Third and Fourth. Came to Atchison, Kan., first in 1867 on a visit; returned to Washington, D. C., remaining there until the 21st of May, 1870, then started for Kansas. Located at Burlington, Coffey County, where he remained a short time and then came to Topeka, where he has since resided. Does a fair business and is successful as a carpenter and builder. Was a carpenter in the United States Navy; went from Washington, D. C., in 1861, on the transport Daniel Webster, and sailed along the Virginia coast. Was transferred to Sackett's Harbor, New York, and remained there about eight months, and then went to Harper's Ferry, being transferred to land service, following his trade. Went home at the close of the war from Harper's Ferry. He was born in Washington, D. C., August 27, 1839, and remained there, with the exception of his war service, until coming West, working at his trade. He was married in 1873, in Topeka, to Miss Clara V. Fiery, formerly of Washington County, near Hagerstown, Md. They have two children--Bessie V. and Joseph R.
ANDREW BAKER, blacksmith, Railroad street, North Topeka. Came to Topeka in June, 1881, from Yankton, D. T. Was born February 3, 1839, at Fayette, Fayette Co., Ohio. Moved with his father to Coles County, Ill., and worked in Government service as blacksmith during the war at Mattoon. Remained there twenty-five years and removed to Yankton in 1864. Was married in 1861 in Coles County, Ill., to Miss Martha Simpson. Have four children--Mary A., Seth, Lydia and Ida.
HON. FLOYD P. BAKER is a native of Fort Ann, Washington Co., N. Y., where he was born November 16, 1820. His grandfather, Reuben Baker, was a native of Massachusetts; born in the town of Rehoboth, May 30, 1758; served in the Revolutionary War, and at its close removed to Ira, Vermont, and subsequently emigrated to Fort Ann, N. Y. settling upon a farm which has ever since been owned by him and his descendants, the present owner being Hon. Isaac V. Baker, Jr., his great grandson, well known as a man of affairs in the State, having represented his District in the State Legislature for ten consecutive years, and now being State Superintendent of Prisons in the State of New York. Reuben Baker was married in 1783, to Lydia Mason, of Swansea, Mass. They had seventeen children. The eldest, Nathan, was killed at Sackett's Harbor, in the military service of his country, during the war of 1812. Reuben, the second son, the father of Floyd P., was born in Ira, Vt., November 9, 1784; died in Burlington, Iowa, December 2, 1865. He married August 30, 1810, Miss Lois C. Baxter, daughter of Moses Baxter, who served in the Revolutionary War, and suffered imprisonment in Canada, for some months during the struggle. Mrs. Baker was of Scotch descent, her maternal grandfather--Chaffee, being a Scotchman. He was a soldier in the French and Indian War, prior to the Revolutionary War, and was killed in one of the numerous bloody encounters with the Indians, near Sandy Hill, Washington Co., N. Y. The subject of this sketch was the fourth son of Reuben and Lois (Baxter) Baker. His father was a school teacher, and found difficulty only surmounted by strict abstemiousness and pinching economy in supporting the fast coming and numerous family with which Providence blessed him. In those days both poverty and honesty were more common than now, and the shifts to raise a large family, involved sacrifice, and developed characters not common to the surroundings of ease and luxury that prevail in these latter times. At the age of eight years young Floyd went to live with Mathias Whitney, a farmer of Fort Ann. He remained there until eighteen years of age, laboring on the farm, and acquiring what education could be gained in the three months term of the winter district schools. He was diligent and apt as a scholar, and made such use of these meagre advantages as to fit himself as a teacher, and at the age of eighteen he took charge of the school at Hamburg, Erie Co., N. Y., where he remained six months. In the spring of 1839, he first visited what was then the "far West." At Hillsdale, Mich., he set up a blacksmith shop, which he ran with indifferent success for a year. In 1840 he returned to his native State, and became agent for a line of packet boats upon the Champlain Canal, then controlled by his brother. He was also agent for the winter stage line between Albany and Whitehall, then a part of the route between New York and Moutreal. (sic) He remained in charge of these lines for nearly seven years during which time his residence was principally in Troy. In 1847, he gave up his agencies and took a contract to build a section of two miles on the Hudson River Railroad. The contract proved disastrously unprofitable, swallowing up the savings of many years, and leaving him embarrassed with unpaid debts. He determined again to try the West, and accordingly, having made as good a settlement of his wrecked affairs as possible, removed with his wife and child to Racine, Wis., settling on a farm which he carried on in connection with an insurance business for about three years. In 1850, his wife died, and in 1851, having re-married, he determined to try his fortunes in some distant or foreign land. With his wife and son he traveled with his own conveyance to St. Louis, thence by boat down the Mississippi to New Orleans. There his only son sickened and died. The heavy hearted couple pursued their weary journey, by way of Panama, to San Francisco; thence, after a few months sojourn, they sailed for the Sandwich Islands, arriving, after a tedious passage, in June, 1853. Within three weeks after landing he was appointed crown attorney and clerk of the district court of Hawaiian Islands, and removed to Hilo, which was to be his permanent residence. Before getting settled he was obliged, on the account of the prevalence of small-pox in Honolulu, from whence he had sailed, to endure a season of quarantine confinement outside the limits of the town. The quarantine hospital was in the crater of an extinct volcano. While there his second son was born, who can certainly boast of as novel a birthplace as any man living. Mr. Baker performed the duties of his office for nearly eighteen months, when, tiring of his semi-barbarous surroundings, he gave up his position and turned his face again towards his native land. In February, 1855, he sailed for San Francisco. From thence via the Nicaragua route, he returned to "the States," and settled in Andrew County, Mo., where he remained until 1860, engaged in farming and land speculation. He came to Kansas in 1860, first settling in Centralia, Nemaha County. There he carried on farming, practiced law, and served at different times as County Attorney, and Superintendent of Schools. He remained in Nemaha County for three years, serving as a member of the State Legislature in 1861-62, from the district composed of Nemaha, Marshall and Washington counties. In 1863, having purchased an interest in the Kansas State Record, he removed his family to Topeka. For nearly eight years he remained connected with the paper, until its consolidation with the Commonwealth, in 1871, at which time he retired. In 1872, Mr. Baker went to Denison, Texas, where he established the Denison Journal, which he conducted with ability and success until 1874. During his sojourn there, from April, 1873, to the 1st of June, 1875, he held the office of Postmaster. March 7, 1875, he purchased the office of the Commonwealth, with which he has retained his connection as chief proprietor and editor in chief to the present time. During the long period of his residence in Kansas, nearly a quarter of a century, his life has been interwoven with the political history of the State. He has, as a journalist, shown that peculiar ability, which, if lacking ephemeral brilliancy, ends in lasting success. He has during the time been at the head of the most influential journals of the Republican party in Kansas, and has done much in molding the destinies and directing the management of its affairs. It is perhaps unnecessary to add that he has been from the beginning a staunch and unswerving Republican, and with Nestor-like solicitude, has stood in defense of the doctrines and organization of his party from first to last, being lured by none of the numerous side issues which have presented themselves, to sacrifice or jeopardize its unity on the great national questions which alone insure it prolonged life and power. His rank among Kansas journalists is at the head, he being now the President of the Kansas Editorial Association. To him in a great measure is the State indebted for the present historical State collection, he being one of the early organizers of the Kansas State Historical Society, its first Secretary, and an active and efficient member of its executive board ever since its organization. Mr. Baker has been twice married. February 14, 1844, at Amsterdam, N. Y., he married Eliza F., daughter of John Wilson. She died at Racine, Wis., in 1850. They had one son, Floyd P., born in Troy, N. Y., July 10, 1847, died in New Orleans January 5, 1853. March 7, 1851, he married Orinda, daughter of John C. Searle, of Racine, Wis., formerly from Fort Plain, N. Y. They have had five children, four of whom survive--Nestor R., born near Hilo, Hawaiian Island, August 13, 1853; Clifford C., born at Moundville, Wis., May 31, 1855; Isaac N., born at Rochester, Mo., August 1, 1857, and Minnie L., born in Topeka, May 21, 1863. Mr. Baker is a member of the Masonic Order, being made a Mason in 1845. He also became an Odd Fellow in 1844, and has been at the head of the order in Kansas, being Grand Master in 1862, and represented the order in Kansas in the Grand Lodge of the United States in 1867. He visited Europe in 1878, as Assistant Commissioner to the World's Fair, in Paris, making the tour of Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, England, Ireland and Scotland, while abroad. He was assigned the subject of Forestry, and made a report on the subject, which was published with other reports. Few men following the peaceful avocations of life have had a more varied experience, and few carry the weight of hardships, discouragements and coming years, more sturdily or cheerfully in the quiet evening of success fairly won. On the 24th of July, 1882, he was appointed one of the Commissioners of the Foresters' Bureau of the Agricultural Department of the United States Government at Washington, and assigned duty in the Mississippi Valley, and west to the Rocky Mountains.
AUGUSTUS H. BARNARD was born in Manchester, Vt., April 9, 1832; lived there until he was seven years of age, then his parents removed with their family to Palmyra, Mich., where he lived until he came to Kansas in April, 1855. After stopping a few days at Lawrence he took a claim on Deer Creek, one mile and a half from Topeka. In the spring of 1856 he became one of the organizers of the Kansopolis Town Company and remained a member of that company until the spring of 1863; also engaged in farming and freighting. In 1863 he removed to Leavenworth where he continued in the freighting business until the spring of 1869. He then removed to Fairmount, Leavenworth County, where he was merchant, station agent and Postmaster until the spring of 1871, when he removed to Belle Plaine, Sumner County, his family being the first at that place. While there he was engaged in farming, freighting, and hotel keeping. He kept the first hotel there and did the first freighting to that place, going as far as Florence for supplies. He remained at Belle Plaine about eighteen months, then removed to Wellington, in the same county, where he was engaged in hotel keeping until his removal from there. In 1875 he built the Hotel de Barnard, which he recently leased, and removed to Topeka in September, 1882. While at Wellington he served one term as a member of the Common Council. In the early struggles between the Free-state and Pro-slavery parties, he was always found among the foremost Free-state men. He was a warm personal friend of John Brown, being frequently with him. Mr. Barnard was married at Delaware, Delaware Co., Ohio, May 26, 1860, to Catherine Smith, a native of Galena, Ohio. They have two children--Nellie E. and Edwina, two charming and accomplished young ladies.
GEORGE BATES located in Topeka in 1868, and was engaged in the dry-goods business in the city until January, 1881. Since March 15, 1882, he has been associated with Henry Taylor in the loan business. Mr. Bates is a native of Hampshire County, Southampton, Mass., and spent the early years of his life in Trumbull, Ohio.
W. L. BATES, of the firm of Bates & Clements, dry-goods merchants, was born at Alliance, Ohio, April 8, 1859, living there until he came to Topeka in 1868. He was educated at Oberlin College. He has been connected with the mercantile business since 1874, as a member of the firm of G. P. Bates & Son, one year prior to the organization of the present firm in January, 1881, Mr. D. A. Clements being now associated with him as a partner.
CARROLL N. BEAL, real estate loan broker. Came to Kansas and located at Leavenworth, September 20, 1862. He resided in that city about seven years, and then went to Louisville, Kansas, where he remained until the fall of 1875, engaged in mercantile, abstract, banking and real estate business, when he removed to Topeka. He was with the Kansas Loan and Trust Co., as examiner of securities about four years, and then with the National Loan and Trust Co., as secretary until May 6, 1882, when he established the firm of C. N. Beal & Co., brokers and dealers in Kansas real estate securities, etc. He is also a member of the firm of Beal Bros., bankers, at Louisville, Pottawatomie County, Kansas, he and his brother having established that business there some ten years ago. He was born in Vevay, Switzerland Co., Ind., his residence prior to his removal to Leavenworth being Indianapolis. He was married at Louisville, Kansas, July 3, 1872, to Cordelia C. Huggins, a native of Michigan. They have four children, Eldon M., Don H., Ray C., and an infant son.
F. A. BECKSTROM, house and sign painter, paper hanger, etc. Was born in Sweden, February 5, 1841. He there learned his trade, beginning in 1855 and serving an apprenticeship of six years. Was married in Sweden in 1865 to Miss Ingaree Nelson. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church. He emigrated to America in 1868, locating at Chicago, where he worked at his trade two years. He then came to Topeka where he has since resided. He has painted many of the principal residences and business houses in the city. He has now an extensive business and employs eight to fifteen men.
B. S. BENNETT, carpenter, was born in Illinois in 1840; his father, Mr. B. C. Bennett, having removed there from Pennsylvania in 1838, but returning again in 1846 settled in Bucks County, where the subject of this sketch acquired the trade of a carpenter, making a cruise of three years in that capacity to European waters on board the United States sloop of war "Jamestown." Immediately upon his return to his native land in 1861, he enlisted for three months in the Twenty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. On the expiration of his term he immediately re-enlisted, this time as Corporal in Company K One Hundred and Fourth Pennsylvania Infantry. Was mustered out in 1864, but again enlisted for the third time and remained in the One Hundred and Fourth till the close of the war when he held the rank of Sergeant. Mr. Bennett was in eleven pitched battles to say nothing of skirmishes; was wounded severely in the right side and left shoulder at the battle of Fairoaks, but such was his indomitable pluck that he refused to go into hospital, and was shortly afterwards again bearing arms and assisted, while yet suffering from his wounds, in repelling Longstreet's attack upon Casey's Division, on which occasion he was detailed as sharpshooter; had six balls through his clothing and saw his company reduced from fifty-nine to twenty-four men, nearly all of the latter being wounded. At the close of the war he returned to Pennsylvania and resumed his trade; and in 1878 took up 160 acres of land in Kansas, finally locating in Topeka in 1881. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and also of Lincoln Post, G. A. R.
E. BENNETT & SON, dealers in and breeders of Percheron Norman horses, corners of Eighth avenue and Lincoln and Buchanan streets; have been in business in Topeka since the fall of 1880; were in the same business in Minnesota for three years prior to that time; they have heretofore obtained their stock from prominent breeders and importers of thoroughbred Percheron Norman horses in Illinois and Ohio. Are now making arrangements to commence importing directly from France. During the year 1881 they handled over 50 head Percheron Norman stallions, doing a business not much less than $100,000. They are now buying land in and near Topeka on which to erect buildings for the accommodation of their business, which will be second to none in the United States when completed. Also they are anticipating building a sale stable in Topeka next year that will be an ornament to the city as well as of service to their large and increasing trade. They are also negotiating for a number of sections of land not far west from Topeka for summer pasture and for mowing purposes. Erasmus Bennett was born in Albany County, N. Y., March 29, 1834; being raised a farmer, following that occupation in the county of his birth for thirty-five years. In 1868 he moved to Allegany County, N. Y., where he remained until 1877, engaged in dairying. He then moved to Marshall, Minn., and commenced the introduction of the Percheron Norman horses into Minnesota and Dakota, and followed the business there until November, 1880, when he moved to Topeka. He was married in Albany County, N. Y., February 14, 1856, to Miss Mary Meed, who died March 3, 1869, leaving two children, Emily and Edwin R. He married again March 8, 1870, to Miss Clara E. Brigham, of Bradford County, Penn., by whom he has three boys, Frank E., Erasmus, Jr. and Lester E. Mr. Bennett is a member of the Masonic order.
W. A. S. BIRD, attorney and counselor at law, came to Topeka, September 11, 1880, and has been engaged in practice here since that time. He was born at Addison, Pa., August 31, 1855, and received his education at Somerset and Meyersdale of that State, where he taught school for five years. He removed to Falls City, Neb., March 19, 1878, and read law there with Clarence Gillespie, until September 7, 1880, when he was admitted to the bar, and at once removed to Topeka. Mr. Bird is a member of the I. O. O. F.
LINUS BLAKESLEY, Pastor First Congregational Church, was born at Terryville, Conn., December 16, 1837. Fitted for college at Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, N. H. Spent two years of his college course at Amherst, 1856 to 1858, then went to Yale from which he graduated in 1860. Studied theology at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio. After graduating from Lane, in 1863, spent one year there as instructor in Hebrew. Settled at Piqua, Ohio, in 1864, and preached there until 1870, when he removed to Kansas, locating at Topeka, as Pastor of the First Congregational Church. The Church at that time had a membership of 135, which had increased to 350 in 1882. The present church edifice was completed in the spring of 1881, and is commodious and beautiful. Mr. Blakesley was president of the school board from 1877 to 1879 and is an active and useful citizen, and worker in the cause of humanity and Christianity. He married Miss Nellie Treat, of Terryville, in August, 1866, and they have six children, of whom--Henry A., Nellie L., Fannie E. and Charles A. are now living.
P. I. BONEBRAKE, State Auditor of Kansas, came to the town of Auburn, Shawnee County, June 8, 1859. From that date until the fall of 1865, he remained in Auburn, engaged in mercantile pursuits, farming and stock-raising. In November, 1865, he was elected County Clerk of Shawnee County, and held that position from January 8, 1866, to January 8, 1876. In November, 1875, he was elected a member of the Legislature, receiving every vote cast in the city of Topeka, his district. In November, 1876, he was elected Auditor of State, and held that office three terms, until January 8, 1883. He also filled the office of Auditor by appointment of the governor for three months prior to the beginning of his first term, making a continuous official term of seventeen years. Mr. Bonebrake has been member of the City Council one year, member of the Board of Education six years, four years of the time serving as president of the board. He was president of the Capital Bank, and Receiver of the First National Bank. He has also been vice-president of the Central Bank of Kansas since its organization. He organized, and was for several years secretary of the Masonic Mutual Benefit Society, of Kansas. He was born in Eaton, Preble Co., Ohio, September 25, 1835. His later education was acquired at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa, to which State he removed about six years prior to coming to Kansas. He was married at Attica, Iowa, December 13, 1857, to Martha L. Lowe. She was born at Crawfordsville, Montgomery Co., Ind. They have buried two children and have two living--Frank M. and Fred. B. Otis O. died at the age of seven, and Edith at the age of sixteen months. Mr. Bonebrake is a member of the A. F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and also of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
THE KANSAS BRICK COMPANY, located on the K. C. Branch, A. T. & S. F., one quarter of a mile east of the city limits. The company was organized January 1, 1882, with the following officers: Thomas H. Bowers, president; Theo. Curran, secretary and treasurer; Edward Hawes, general manager. Capital stock, $3,000 afterward increased to about $10,000. The capacity of the yard is about 30,000 brick per day. Have two machines, the Wiley, made at New York, and the Kennedy machine, made at Keokuk, Iowa. Fill orders from all parts of the State and manufacture all kinds of building brick. Manufactured in 1881 about 1,000,000 brick. Employ about twenty men during the brick season. Mr. Bowers came to Kansas in August, 1879, from Minnesota, and located at Topeka. Enlisted in the army at the commencement of the war in Company B, Second Iowa Cavalry. Served three years. Was with his command at the battles of Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek, Prairie Grove and other engagements. Was with the Twenty-Second New York Cavalry three months, in the Shenandoah Valley. Bears the scar of a saber cut on his right arm, received in a skirmish about New Market, Va., and a bullet wound in the right leg, received at Wilson's Creek. Was a non-commissioned officer in his company. Was mustered out at the close of the war, at Rochester, N. Y. Was born December 29, 1841, at Wheeling, West Va. Resided in Wheeling until he was twelve years old, and went with his parents to St. Paul, Minn. Remained there until 1879, engaged in contracting and building. Has worked with the Republican party.
C. H. BRADFORD, now treasurer of the Kansas Lumber Company, located in Topeka February 1, 1881, and was engaged in the drug business until he was elected to his present position, January 10, 1882. He is a native of Cortland, Co., N. Y., remaining in his native town until his removal to Topeka. The Kansas Lumber Company was organized May 21, 1878. W. C. Edwards, president; R. E. Edwards, vice-president; John McCullough, secretary. Capital stock, $100,000. The present organization, Topeka Yards is W. C. Edwards, president; J. R. Hathaway, secretary; C. H. Bradford, treasurer. Incorporated January 10, 1882.
THOMAS BRANDON, manufacturer of soda water, came to Kansas in the spring of 1864, from St. Louis, Mo. First located at Leavenworth, and was in the employ of Brandon & Kirmeyer of that city. Came to Topeka in 1871, and located at his present place of business. He was born April 21, 1844, at Ashton on the Lyne, near Manchester, Lancashire, Eng. Came with his parents to America when sixteen years of age, locating in St. Louis. He was married at Leavenworth, in 1866, to Miss Jane Fenney, born in the county of Durham, Eng. They have four children living--Mary J., Harry F., George S., and Bessie I. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., Capital Lodge No. 3 and of the Episcopal Church.
BYRON P. BROCKWAY was born in Topeka Township, Shawnee Co., Kan., within one mile of the present city limits of Topeka, July 9, 1859. He is a son of Justus and Charlotte Carpenter Brockway, who located here in 1857. They were both born in Stephentown, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. Justus Brockway and his brother David (who came here in 1859) were for many years prominent attorneys in this city. Byron P. was educated in the city schools of Topeka and for three years was a student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, N. Y. Immediately after leaving there in 1879 he engaged in railroad business, being connected with surveying and other departments of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. most of the time since. He was married May 31, 1882, to Cora E. Hammond, a native of Zanesville, Ohio.
ED. BUECHNER, proprietor of the City Meat Market, North Topeka. Came to Kansas in 1870 from Germany and commenced working in a shop in Topeka. He moved to his present location in September, 1871. Was born March 17, 1845, at Coburg, Germany. Remained on a farm for twenty-four years and then came to America. He was married in 1872 in Topeka, to Miss Anna Haas, of Hessen, Germany. They have three children--Katie, Henry and Fred. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. Kaw Valley Lodge No. 20., North Topeka.
H. E. BUSH, came to Topeka March 20, 1863, and on the 19th of April located on Section 26, Township 13, Range 14 east, Auburn Township, which has been his home continuously since that time, with the exception of two years residence in Lawrence, to afford his boys the opportunity to attend the State University. Mr. Bush has been engaged in farming and stock-raising since his residence in Kansas. He has also held many offices, being Township Treasurer about three years, Township Clerk one year, member of the State Legislature in 1871 and elected Sheriff in 1881. He was born in Onondago County, N. Y. August 25, 1881. (sic) His youth was spent in Jefferson County, N. Y., where he remained until he enlisted in Battery D, First New York Light Artillery. He was in nearly all the engagements under Gen. George B. McClellan from Yorktown to Harrison's Landing, and was discharged from service July 27, 1862, on account of disability caused by disease contracted in the army. He then returned to Jefferson County, where he remained until he came to Kansas. In the fall of 1863 he became connected with the Kansas Militia and was placed in command of Company G, Second Kansas State Militia. This brigade was in active service during the Price raid, in October, 1864. Mr. Bush was captured and shot in the Battle of the Big Blue, October 22, and re-captured by the Federal troops at noon on the 23d. He received three shots through the left side of the head, one through his left arm below the shoulder and another which penetrated his clothing and struck his right side, the bullet being removed from his clothes considerably flattened. He returned to Topeka about December 25, on the first passenger train which passed through on the Union Pacific as far as Lawrence. Mr. Bush was married at Gannanoque, Canada West, February 20, 1855, to Ellen Gorman, who was born at that place, but afterward a resident of New York State. They have lost three children--Edward H., born January 4, 1856, died December 27, 1881; Harriet E., aged about nine years, and Francina M., aged seven years. Their living children are Charles W., born February 15, 1858, and Edith E., born September 30, 1869. November 28, 1882, while attempting to arrest the notorious Cook Brothers, corner of Tenth and Taylor streets, Topeka, Mr. Bush received a severe gun-shot wound through the instep of the right foot.
W. H. BUTTERFIELD was born in Farmington, Me., January 26, 1813. He was educated in his native State, principally at the academy at Farmington, of which town he remained a resident until 1843. He then moved West as far as Ohio, located in the city of Dayton, and was for sixteen years principal of one of the largest schools in that place, and afterwards for several years in book and stationary business there. From Dayton he came to Topeka in April, 1866, and immediately built a residence and became a citizen in the true sense of the word, devoting himself to the advancement of the educational interests of his adopted city from the first. He organized, graded and classified the public schools, having charge of them for two years, part of which time he taught personally. After an interim of two years he again took charge of the schools, in the capacity of superintendent, which position he occupied for nine consecutive years, his term of service ending August, 1881. The High School is indebted to the efforts and suggestions of Messrs. Butterfield and Bonebrake for its organization, Mr. B. being a member of the Board of Education at the time. He has served for one year as County Superintendent of Public Instruction, and six years on the Board of Examiners for the County. Mr. Butterfield was married in Farmington, Me., to Hannah Elizabeth Norris, a native of Hallowell, Me. They have three children--William C., now of Des Moines, Iowa; Augusta Norris and Harry Norris, a farmer in Butler County, Kan. Mr. B. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the various temperance societies.
CHANNING J. BROWN was born in Oakfield, Genesee Co., N. Y., October 31, 1847. He pursued his preparatory college studies at the Genesee Weslayan Seminary, at Lima, and graduated from the classical department of Hamilton College, Clinton, N. Y., in the class of 1869, studying law at that institution and also at Batavia, N. Y. In 1869 he helped organize the Genesee Colony, which founded the town of Blue Rapids, Marshall Co., Kan. Was secretary of the Blue Rapids Town Company for two years, and attorney at law and real estate agent in the new town. The Genesee Colony was composed of 100 members, about seventy-five of whom located in the town and vicinity in the early part of 1870. This was one of the most successful colony organizations in the State, the originators of the movement being men of judgment and liberal means and the location combining the advantages of cheap and good lands with a railroad already in operation. In the fall of 1874 Mr. Brown was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and in the fall of 1876 to the State Senate for the four years term. July 1, 1879, he was appointed Clerk of the Supreme Court. Mr. Brown was married in Topeka, Kan., September 10, 1881, to Julia E. Greer, of Yellow Springs, Greene Co., Ohio. He is a member of K. of P.