|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ADAMS - AUSTIN).
FRANKLIN G. ADAMS was born in Rodman, Jefferson Co., N. Y., May 13, 1824. He was bred on a farm and had the advantages only of a common school education and the use of school district and town libraries. At the age of nineteen, having removed to Cincinnati he had the advantage of the private instruction of an older brother; of lectures in medical and law schools, etc. He taught school for a number of years in the Cincinnati public schools, and, in 1852, graduated from the Law Department of Cincinnati College. He came to Kansas in March, 1855, and settled in the Ashland Colony in Riley County. The following spring he removed to Leavenworth, and the spring after to Atchison. In 1861 he removed to Lecompton, and, subsequently, in the same year to Topeka, where he resided until the spring of 1864, when he returned to Atchison. In the spring of 1865 he went to the Kickapoo Agency at Kennekuk, and in 1868 to Muscotah, residing there until August, 1869, when he returned to Atchison. In 1870 he removed to Waterville, Marshall County, and in the spring of 1875 to Topeka. He has been identified with the literary and journalistic history of the Territory and State as follows: He became part owner of and editorial writer, for the Squatter Sovereign at Atchison in the spring of 1857; In August, 1862, became part owner and editor of the Topeka State Record; in 1863, being Secretary of the State Agricultural Society, had editorial charge of the Kansas Farmer at Topeka; in the spring of 1864 established the Atchison Weekly Free Press and was editor and principal proprietor for most of the time until its consolidation with the Champion in August, 1865. He was editor and proprietor of the Waterville Telegraph in 1871-72. In 1873 he compiled and published the "Homestead Guide," a volume of 312 pages, giving the history and resources of northwestern Kansas. In 1876 as Chairman of the Educational Committee of the Kansas State Grange, he prepared a report on industrial education, which was published in pamphlet and widely circulated. Has since made several other such reports. Before coming to Kansas he compiled a "Key to the Pronunciation of Geographical Names," pronunciation given in the phonetic alphabet, which was published by Truman & Spofford, Cincinnati in 1850. In 1852 as Chairman of a Committee of the Ohio State Teachers' Association, he prepared a report on spelling reform, which was published in a pamphlet of sixteen pages. He compiled "The Lives of the Presidents," a volume which was published, with portraits, by Longley Bros., Cincinnati, in the phonetic alphabet, in 1854, a volume of 219 pages. Among the many offices of honor and trust which he has acceptably filled are the following: He was Probate Judge of Atchison County from April, 1858, to January, 1860. Was a member of the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention from Atchison County in 1858. In March, 1861, was appointed by President Lincoln Register of the United States land-office at Lecompton--and went to reside there. Moved the office to Topeka in September of that year, and held the office of Register till January, 1864. Was Clerk of the United States District Court of Kansas from October, 1863, to April, 1864. In March, 1865, was appointed United States Indian Agent for the Kickapoos, and held the office until August, 1869. In February, 1876, he became Secretary of the State Historical Society, of which position he is the present incumbent (1883). He married Miss Harriet E. Clark, of Cincinnati, daughter of John H. and Margaret Clark, at Cincinnati, Ohio, September 29, 1855. They have had ten children, of whom seven survive--Zu, (sic) born at Atchison, January 13, 1859; Henry J., born at Lecompton, August 21, 1861; Harriet, born at the Kickapoo Agency, Kennekuk, February 20, 1867; George, born near Atchison, October 10, 1869; Margaret L., born near Waterville, April 13, 1873; Samuel, born at Topeka, December 3, 1877; Paul, born at Topeka, February 20, 1881. Mr. Adams was all through the early and troublous times a staunch Free-state man, as appears in the histories of the various counties in which he resided. So far as his life is embodied in the history of the State and its institutions, the honorable record appears in the history itself. As may be inferred from this meager sketch, he is and always has been politically a Republican of the strictest school.
FRANK A. ALLEN, farmer and horse-trainer, Section 28, P. O. Topeka, owns seven acres, with frame dwelling, stable and hennery. He was born in Ohio, Greene County, January 14, 1851, and came to Kansas with his parents in 1855, locating on present place, which is a part of the claim his father pre-empted. Was married May 27, 1876, to Miss Jennie Rodgers. Mr. A. makes a specialty of training horses for trotting, running and roadsters. He has three fine blooded horses which he is training for exhibition at State fairs. He also trains wild and vicious horses by the Rarey method. He has quite a large hennery, about 400 hens of the best breeds, among them the brown and white Leghorns, the light Brahmas and white Cochins. Mr. A. was in the service of Col. Jennison during the war, carrying dispatches and giving information, and being but a boy passed at all times through the lines without exciting suspicion, doing a great deal of service which it would have been impossible for a man to perform.
ALBERT ALLEAUME, cigars, tobacco, and notions, came to Kansas in 1874 from Paris, France. He was born April, 1843 in Alencon, province of Orne. He went to Paris in 1861, and was engaged as a commercial traveler for a dry-goods firm for several years. He was in Paris during the siege of that city during the Franco-Prussian war and witnessed the terrible revolution of the Communists during those memorable and awful days from March 18 to May 28, 1871, when the city was riot and human life was of no value to the mob. Mr. A. has some reminiscences of those days in the shape of pieces of shell and ball picked up in front of his doorway in Paris on the morning of May 23, 1871. In 1874 he came to Topeka. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Shawnee Lodge, No. 1.
LUTHER M. ANDERSON, school teacher, North Topeka, was born in Lawrence County, Ill. He was educated at the Alton high school, and taught his first public school in that city in 1866. Since then he taught at Oxford, Miss., Greenville, Miss., Columbia, Ark., at Goodletsville near Nashville, Tenn., and also near Evansville, Ind. He was a member of the School Board of Greenville, Ind. in 1875; he moved from Evansville to Topeka, Kan., in August, 1878, and was there employed as teacher in the Douglas school on Kansas avenue; he is now teaching in the Lane school on Topeka avenue; he has followed his profession uninterruptedly since he began teaching, and has always given satisfaction to his patrons. His father, the Rev. D. W. Anderson, was Pastor of the largest church in the district, and was well and favorably known in that city; he died in 1874. Mr. Luther Anderson was twice married; his first wife, Miss Sarah P. Johnson, of Alton, Ill., died in March, 1864, she was the daughter of Rev. Mr. Johnson, of Wood Park, near the same city; they had two children his (sic) present wife was Miss Josephine Fisher, of Columbia, Chicot Co., Ark. They were married in 1875 and have four children--one son, Thomas J. Anderson, is porter on a Pullman sleeping car on the A., T. & S. F. R. R. from Kansas City to Denver.
HON. THOMAS J. ANDERSON was born in Atwater, Portage County, Ohio, May 29, 1839, and received a thorough English education at the Marlboro Union School conducted by that able educator, Prof. Holbrook, who subsequently founded the State Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio. Though denied the advantages of the so-called higher education, at the age of seventeen, he had laid a foundation broad and deep for the future on which, by constant reading and keen observation he has built a superstructure which is seldom surpassed by college graduates. His father, Martin Anderson, was of Scotch-Irish extraction, and his mother nee Ellen Houck, was of German lineage. He combines the best qualities of both races, as is abundantly shown by his past life, wherein sagacity, activity, patience and courage have been required at every step. Whether as subordinate or chief, he has ever been a vigorous disciplinarian, and never failed to maintain order in every department over which he had control without the petty acts which characterize the martinet. A man of broad views and generous heart, he has always had hosts of warm friends upon whose devotion he could depend in the most trying circumstances of a varied life. Although a hard worker, he also believes that certain hours should be devoted to refreshment, and when they arrive he is ever ready to enjoy them with rare zest. In 1856 he went to Iowa from his native State. After a year's residence there he joined his parents, and with them removed to Kansas, locating at Grasshopper Falls, now Valley Falls. His father was a Free-soiler, and on settling in this State gave his heart and hand to promote the cause of freedom, identifying himself with the Free-state party, and being a speaker of more than ordinary ability he rose rapidly from the ranks, and in 1864 was elected State Treasurer. His son following the good example set by his sire, became an active member of the same party and with him organized the Republican party in Jackson County, 1858. At the election following this he was elected County Surveyor. But anon was heard the noise of civil war, and our young surveyor was not slow in responding to the summons for volunteers. Enlisting in the Fifth Kansas Regiment United States Volunteers in June, 1861, upon its organization, he was appointed Sergeant Major, a position which he held until the fall of 1861, when he was discharged from the ranks and commissioned Lieutenant of Engineers on Gen. Lane's staff, and served with that officer until his ill-starred expedition to Texas failed, when he was mustered out. In February, 1863, President Lincoln appointed him Assistant Adjutant General, with rank of Captain, and he was assigned to duty as one of the staff of Maj. Gen. J. G. Blunt, and organized the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry and the Second Kansas Colored Infantry. In March, 1864, he was appointed to a majorship, yet served as Assistant Adjutant General under Gens. Thayer, Blunt, and McNeil of the Army of the Frontier, and while the latter was doing service in Arkansas, was his Chief of Staff. For meritorious services he was breveted Lieutenant Colonel, and two days later breveted Colonel. At the earnest solicitation of Gov. Crawford he resigned in April, 1865, to accept the appointment of Adjutant General of Kansas, and having reorganized his department he completed the military records in a style which has saved a world of trouble to the agents employed to settle the claims of the State against the Federal Government. This position he resigned to accept the agency of the Kansas Pacific R. R., which he held for over six years and then resigned to take the double office of General Freight and Ticket Agent of the K. M. R. R. When that was purchased by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Company he was appointed General Passenger Agent for the latter, and continued in that department for nearly three years and then was appointed General Agent of the Company, in charge of its freight and passenger interests in Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico, with headquarters at Pueblo from March, 1878, until fall of the same year; headquarters from March, 1879, to September, 1879, at Denver, Col.; then at Kansas City until he was appointed Postmaster at Topeka in 1881. During the years of 1875 and 1876 he was Mayor of Topeka, displaying superior ability in discharging the duties as Executive of city government. In 1879 he was elected a representative in the Legislature of Kansas, where he exerted a powerful influence in shaping legislation to promote the best interests of the commonwealth. He was re-elected to the house in 1881 receiving every vote cast in the district; was a delegate to the Chicago Convention in 1880, and voted for Gen. Grant thirty-six times and carries the old guard medal. Was appointed Postmaster at Topeka in March, 1881, by President Garfield. Appointed Brigadier General Kansas State Militia in July, 1882 and Major General in August, 1882, by Gov. St. John, Chairman of Committee of Thirty-eight, in charge of the great soldiers' reunion held in Topeka in September, 1882. Elected Department Commander, Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Kansas, January 25, 1883. As a member of the A., F. & A. M., the free-will offerings of his brethren in the way of official positions have been numerous. He was Worshipful Master of Topeka Lodge, No. 17, during 1872; High Priest of Topeka Chapter in 1867 and 1868, and in 1870 71, and Eminent Commander of Topeka Commandery from its organization until 1873. In 1867 he was elected Grand King of the Grand Chapter. In 1874-75 Deputy High Priest, and in 1876 Grand High Priest. In 1870 he was elected Grand Captain General of the Grand Commandery; in 1871, Grand Generalissimo; in 1873, Deputy Grand Commander; and in 1874, Grand Commander.
W. M. ANDERSON, of the firm of H. I. Cook & Co., hardware merchants, is a native of Mansfield, Richland Co., Ohio, resided there until 1866, when he removed to Iowa City, Iowa, where he became connected with the First National Bank of that city, being cashier of that institution for five years of the time just prior to coming to Topeka to embark in his present business. He was married in Topeka, February 21, 1883, to Carrie B. Shively. Mr. A. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was a charter member of the K. of P. Lodge at Iowa City.
THOMAS ARCHER, attorney at law and notary public, was born in Jefferson County, Ky., near Louisville, July 13, 1833. The next year his parents moved to Missouri, where he lived until he was seventeen years of age. He then went to Pittsfield, Ills., and after remaining there three years returned to Missouri, which was his home until he came to Kansas in 1857. Topeka was his first location after going to Kansas, and with the exception of three years spent in the army, has been his home ever since. He was engaged in brick-making one year subsequent to his arrival, and in lime-burning during the succeeding eighteen months. From the beginning he ran an "underground railroad" with John Brown and was with that patriot at the battle of the Spurs, fought near Holton, Jackson Co., Kan. and in his last trip through Missouri. He enlisted August 8, 1861 in Company A, Fifth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry and served until August 11, 1864. He was shot through the shoulder at the battle of Pine Bluff, October 25, 1863, and lost the use of his right arm. Upon leaving the service he returned to Topeka and was for eighteen months engaged in the grocery business. September 1, 1864, he was appointed Deputy Sheriff and held that position twelve years, being Constable at the same time. He was admitted to the bar March 13, 1872, and has been in active practice most of the time since. At one session of the House of Representatives he was Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms, and at the next Sergeant-at-Arms. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and has held all the offices in that order, having filled every chair in the subordinate lodge and encampment, and is P. M. of Grand Encampment. He is a member of the G. A. R., past post surgeon and a member of the Ancient Order of Templars, a temperance organization of which he is treasurer; also member and past chaplain of the Foresters. He was married in Topeka, September 26, 1867, to Ruth C. Hard, a native of Grand Rapids, Mich. They have two children--Lulu and Minnie.
N. B. ARNOLD, 413 Kansas avenue, North Topeka, born in Columbus, Ind., September, 1840. He left there when quite young and went to Blommington, in the same State, and was educated at the State University in that city, graduating in 1862. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1866. He practiced his profession in Bloomington until January, 1870, when he removed to North Topeka, Kan. Mr. Arnold was the first attorney who resided and practiced in North Topeka. He was married to Mrs. Fisk, of North Vernon, Ind., in 1876. Mr. Arnold was Justice of the Peace in the city of Topeka for several years. His brother, a graduate of the same university, is a leading druggist in North Topeka.
EDWIN A. AUSTIN, now attorney and U. S. Commissioner, was born March 22, 1856, in Lafayette, Ind., where he lived until his removal to Topeka in March, 1879. He was educated in the public schools of Lafayette, read law in the same place; attended the law school of Michigan University at Ann Arbor, and was admitted to the Indiana bar in the winter of 1877. While in Lafayette he served for a time as Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court. He has been engaged in the practice of law since his location in Topeka and has served as Commissioner since November, 1880.