|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Lincoln Chapter No. 2, Holy Royal Arch Masons.--This organization meets at their hall, 240 Kansas Avenue, on the first and third Saturdays of each month.
Euclid Lodge A. F. & A. M.--This lodge was organized in October, 1875. It meets every alternate Monday evening in their hall, 127 Kansas avenue.
Mount Maria No. 5, A. F. & A. M.--This lodge meets on every Tuesday evening.
Faith Western Lodge No. 3, I. O. G. S. & D. of S.--This lodge meets every Thursday evening.
Rebecca Chapter No. 2, Order of the Eastern Star.--This order was organized May 23, 1879. It meets every Wednesday evening.
Occidental Lodge, A. F. & A. M.--This lodge was organized in October, 1875. It meets every alternate Monday evening in their hall, No. 127 Kansas avenue.
Mount Maria Lodge No. 5, A. F. & A. M.--This lodge was organized in April, 1878. Its meetings are held on Thursday night of each week at their hall, over 127 Kansas avenue.
Shawnee Lodge No. 1, I. O. O. F. was organized March 2, 1857 at Tescumseh. It was removed to Topeka in February, 1858. All the original charter members are dead.
Shawnee Encampment No. 3 was organized July 10, 1865. From this Shawnee Lodges No.'s 40 and 79 have been organized.
The officers of the several lodges are chosen semi-annually, and the election for officers to be installed in January next, will be chosen in November.
Shawnee Lodge No. 1, I. O. O. F. (sic) was organized March 2, 1857, at Tescumseh. Francis Grassmuch was the last surviving member. He died at Fort Scott. T. P. Hollcraft, N. G.; John O. Farran, V. G.; Thomas H. Brine, R. S.; George W. Hopkins, P. S.; M. S. Green, treasurer.
F. W. Giles was the first banker and established the first bank in Topeka in 1864. He was an express agent at the time, and commenced business in a modest way in the little one-story building where he had his office. In February, 1866, he went into partnership with C. W. Jewell, under the firm name of F. W. Giles & Co. They continued in business together until April 1, 1872, when the Topeka National Bank was organized.
The Topeka State Bank succeeded to the business of the Topeka National Bank. August 15, 1878, Charles W. Jewell and James F. Griffin, being the principal proprietors. The bank is not yet incorporated. Its capital is $100,000.
Topeka Bank.--This bank was incorporated under its present name, December 30, 1868.
The principal incorporators were: John R. Swallow, Jacob Smith, D. W. Stormont, Benjamin Halze, Edwin Bodwell, J. W. Farnsworth, G. W. Veale, Nathan P. Horton, David Brockway, Joshua Knowles, A. P. Benson, T. B. Mills, J. S. Knowles, D. H. Moore, E. G. Moore, B. M. Smith, H. T. Benson and A. F. Horner.
The first directors were: Jacob Smith, John R. Swallow, John W. Farnsworth, W. A. Richmond, D. W. Stormont, G. W. Veale, Joshua Knowles, B. M. Smith and George C. Cornig.
The first officers were: George C. Cornig, president; Jacob Smith, vice president; John Swallow, cashier.
The amount of capital at the time of its incorporation was $150,000. It was increased to $160,000 November 30, 1871. March 1, 1878, it was decreased to $100,000. Its present capital and surplus is $130,000.
The first and last statement of the bank given below show the increase in business, as well as its present strength as a banking institution:
Statement, January 28, 1869. ASSETS. Loans and Discounts......................... $ 33,263 38 Cash on hand................................ 107,404 23 Due From Banks and Bankers.................. 92,462 67 Fixtures and Expense........................ 4,266 47 Over Drafts................................. 1,562 82 Revenue Stamps.............................. 791 19 ---------- $239,850 76 LIABILITIES. Capital Stock paid in....................... $ 33,500 00 Due Depositors.............................. 204,254 27 Profits..................................... 2,096 49 ---------- $239,850 76 Statement, July 1, 1882. ASSETS. Loans...................................... $291,817 99 Overdrafts................................. 5,175 78 Real Estate................................ 33,091 26 Tax-sale Certificates...................... 1,060 46 Bonds--United States and School............ 16,066 87 Due from Banks.................. $92,167 25 Gold............................ 10,000 00 Silver.......................... 3,005 60 Currency........................ 29,800 00 ---------- $133,972 85 ---------- $482,285 21 LIABILITIES. Capital Stock.................. $ 78,000 00 Surplus........................ 42,000 00 Profits........................ 10,969 32 ---------- $130,969 32 DEPOSITS. Individual..................... $305,528 70 Due to Banks................... 15,766 72 Certificates of Deposit........ 30,020 47 ---------- $351,315 89 ---------- $482,285 21
The present Directors are: J. W. Farnsworth, A. W. Knowles, Byron Roberts, D. W. Stormont, Edward Wilder, Joab Mulvane, and John R. Mulvane. The present officers are: J. R. Mulvane, president; A. W. Knowles, vice-president; Byron Roberts, cashier. Mr. John R. Mulvane first became connected with the bank as cashier, in January, 1871. He has been virtually the manager since 1878, and has held the office of President since January, 1879.
Citizens' Bank (North Topeka); Peter Smith and J. Thomas, proprietors. It was incorporated in 1872, but, in 1878, discontinued business under its charter. Mr. Thomas has been connected with the bank since July, 1873. Its business is general banking and loaning money on real estate for Eastern parties.
Kansas Loan and Trust Company--Incorporated March, 1873; capital subscribed, $100,000; surplus and undivided profits $133,108. During the nine years (ending 1881) in which the company has been in business the loans have amounted to $4,579,479 78; in 1873 they amounted to $119,167.50; in 1881 to $1,045,225. Loans made on improved farms and city property, also on farms and city lots where the money is to be used for improvement of the property. This is the pioneer company of its kind in the State.
National Loan and Trust Company was organized June 26, 1874, B. Heywood, president; S. F. Parmelee became vice-president in 1875. Mr. Heywood remained president up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1878. Since then Mr. Parmelee has been president. The company has an authorized capital of $100,000. Loans are made principally in the older portions of the State, and on improved farms and city property. The company also deals in county and municipal bonds. It has been for some years past, and is now, engaged in the business of negotiating the sale of Kansas public securities, and in effecting loans on real estate for Eastern capitalists and corporations.
A. Prescott & Co., private bankers, transact a general business, the members of the firm being Addison Prescott, E. B. Prescott, William B. Strong, P. I. Bonebrake, and George R. Peck. They have a capital of $60,000.
The Western Investment Company was incorporated October 27, 1881. Its capital is $50,000. A. Prescott is president, and M. Updike, Treasurer.
Central Bank of Kansas (successors to A. Prescott & Co.) was incorporated January 4, 1882, and business commenced three days later. Its officers are: Directors--A. Prescott, president, Topeka; P. I. Bonebrake, vice-president, Topeka; John Francis, cashier, Topeka; C. C. Wheeler, H. P. Dillon, and George R. Peck, of Topeka; W. B. Strong, Boston, Mass.; E. B. Purcell, Manhattan, Kansas. E. B. Prescott, formerly director and assistant cashier, does a general banking business, and deals in national and municipal bonds. J. C. McFarland, Topeka, is the attorney for the Central Bank. It has now (October, 1882) a capital of $100,000--$90,000 of which is subscribed.
The First National Bank commenced business March 15, 1882. Paid up capital, $100,000; authorized, $500,000. Officers: Directors--Theodore Curran, president; Dr. J. W. Redden, vice-president; D. A. Moulton, cashier; Wm. Wellhouse, Wm. Sims, T. J. Anderson, W. A. Johnson, J. D. Burr, George W. Wood, W. W. Manspeaker, and T. L. Stringham.
Gavitt & Scott, bankers and brokers, established their house in 1869. They loan money on improved farms and city property, on first mortgages only. They also deal in first-class municipal and school bonds. During twelve years they have placed over $3,500,000 for Eastern capitalists, and have never lost a dollar for any of their investors.
Guilford Dudley, private banker, commenced business in 1869, and is therefore one of the oldest who has engaged in this line in Topeka.
John D. Knox & Co.--This banking establishment was organized in December, 1873, the head of the house being one of Topeka's old and respected citizens. He has had a long experience in the banking business, having been formerly president of the Capital Bank. The firm do (sic) a general banking business, negotiate mortgage loans on city and county property, and buy and sell county, city and school bonds.
For sketches of other private banks and brokerage establishments, the reader is referred to the biographical department.
A., T & S. F. Shops.--The main shops of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company are situated in the northeast part of that portion of the city which lies south of the Kansas River, where the bridge of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Company crosses the same. They occupy the site of what was formerly designated and described as the "King Wrought Iron Bridge Manufactory and Iron Works," of Topeka.
To aid said corporate association the city council passed an ordinance July 17, 1872, providing for a city election to be held August 16, 1872, for the purpose of voting on a proposition to grant and issue Topeka city bonds to the amount of $100,000, for the "King Wrought Iron Bridge Manufactory and Iron Works," of Topeka, Kansas, to aid in permanently establishing, erecting and furnishing, with all the necessary machinery, and continuing thereat for the term of twenty years to operate bridge shops, at the said city of Topeka. The bonds were voted, buildings were erected, on a plan four times as expensive as were the shops at Iola, Allen County, where the association commenced their works in Kansas, and where bonds had been previously voted. And inasmuch as suits had been instituted to recover matured interest on the Iola bonds, and it had been judicially determined that the payment on the same could be avoided, the precedent was thereby established by which the Topeka bonds, voted for said purpose, could be made voidable, consequent upon which the work thereafter languished. Theodore Terry obtained a tax-interest in this property, and John R. Mulvane, having obtained the interest of this defunct company, Mr. Mulvane and Mr. Terry disposed of their interest to the railway company.
Thus, the buildings and property of the "King Wrought Iron Bridge Manufactory and Iron Works" became the nucleus of the railway shops of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company.
The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company commenced their work in these shops, August 12, 1878, and they have so gone on step by step increasing their business, as to now have the shop divided into twelve distinct departments, each one being made distinct, and under the management of a separate foreman; their detailed classifications being as follows: Carpenter shop, G. M. Peabody, foreman; machine shop, J. M. Luckey, foreman; blacksmith shop, William Hazen, foreman; paint shop, James Rastall, foreman; boiler shop, H. S. Benton, foreman; brass moulding shop, James Swan, foreman; coppersmith shop, Lewis Dutcher, foreman; erecting shop, Richard Witty, foreman; general repair shop, F. R. Felton, foreman; upholstering department, J. W. Trembly, foreman; car shop, Henry Hull, master car-builder; draughting room, John Phillips, chief draughtsman.
The carpenter shop employs upward of two hundred men; nearly one-fourth of the whole number employed in and about the shops; and the machine shop ranks next in force, the number being about one hundred and fifty; the number in the blacksmith shop being about one hundred.
Throughout the entire establishment, system, like perfect clock-work, reigns supreme, the several foremen in charge being complete masters of the situation, and the laborers under them take high rank as skilled workmen, every man knowing his place, and being actuated by an ambition to fill it well; while every machine, running to its fullest capacity, is exceedingly well adapted to the skillful performance of the work for which it is designed.
From near the junction of Crane with Adams street the office is entered near the southwest corner of the building, and here, over this large band of skilled artisans--many of the finest mechanics to be found in this or any country, who are operating some of the most perfect pieces of machinery existing anywhere in the world--sitting as manager, with his master mind and directing intellect, is that prince of mechanics, Mr. George Hackney, superintendent of the locomotive and car department, assisted by his son, Mr. Clement Hackney, assistant superintendent, who are surrounded by a most complete corps of office assistants and clerks. This trained and experienced body of workers, upon whom is placed a large degree of special responsibility, are classified as follows: J. C. Pusey, chief clerk; H. A. Dunn, telegraph operator; J. G. H. Graveley, engineer's time-keeper; H. L. Fowler, firemen's time-keeper; H. A. Ammen, block time-keeper; E. W. Knight, distribution time-keeper; W. J. Byrth, mileage clerk; W. T. Clark, requisition clerk; H. F. Hartley, statement clerk.
Through the office occupied by this managing element, all the employes (sic) of the several mechanical departments, are each day of labor, required to pass.
The Block "Time" system, perhaps the most perfect that has ever been devised for this kind of establishments, is an invention of Mr. Hackney, the superintendent, and its working is as follows: Each man, as he enters upon his labor, in passing through the office is handed by the block clerk, a small block containing his number, which is in size about an inch and a half long, an inch wide and half an inch thick. On going out of the office, at the close of the day's labor, this block is returned through a hopper at the front of the counter. A register of the time the employe (sic) receives the block and when it is returned is kept by the clerk and thus a complete computation of time and wages is made and recorded for each man; ten hours being considered "block time;" all over time is paid for, and all lost time deducted.
In 1881, the railway company expended for buildings within the State, outside of Topeka, as engine houses, round houses, machine and other shops, coal shutes, tenement houses and other buildings, the sum of $426,840; for iron bridges, steel rails and stone ballast, $1,682,604. Independent of this is a couple of millions of dollars it has paid out during the time for labor and salaries, most of which has at once gone into circulation within the various towns and cities of the State where it has been disbursed. The monthly pay roll of the hundreds of mechanics, laborers and employes (sic) of all grades in this city, is estimated at an average of $120,000 per month, and the nine buildings rented in the city for office use aggregate a rental of nearly $15,000.
Under construction is a two hundred foot extension, eighty feet in width, of the boiler shop on the river bank; a large fire-proof pattern house, 50x100 feet; a forty-four bin coal chute; a two story paint shop of eighteen car capacity; a large car shop on the east of the main track between the main or Atchison line and the Kansas City branch, and on the south of the main building, a colossal round house, all of which expenditures will aggregate nearly half a million dollars.
In 1880, there were 144 locomotives made; in 1881, there were 126 old and new engines, and there are now upwards of 300 engines in use on the road.
Western Foundry and Machine Shop.--This business is carried on at the corner of Second and Jefferson streets, was commenced by Cox, (sic) Stribling & Co., of Madison, Ind., in 1867. The firm consisted of John Cobb, Thomas R. Cobb, U. B. Stribling, Ira H. Smith and C. A. Bliss, the two latter named persons being of this city. September 4, 1868, the management was under Messrs. Smith and Bliss. The structure is built of stone and brick, the walls having a thickness of two feet, stone being the inner, brick the outer material. The original building was burned in 1875, and the buildings now standing were erected in 1878-80. R. L. Cofrau, the present proprietor, made the purchase from the original proprietors in July, 1876. Mr. Cofrau came from Wheelock, Vt.
The main building is two stories high, 50x125 feet; the boiler shop is 24x40; the blacksmith shop, 24x35; the brass foundry, 30x30.
The value of the whole property is about $25,000. Its local work is mainly general repairing; its specialty is mill machinery, and orders are coming in from all parts of the State, from Colorado and New Mexico. Its machinery is in excellent order and of the latest styles.
At the outset about a half a dozen men were employed; now it numbers thirty among its employes; (sic) their average wages are $3 per day.
Capital Iron Works.--These works were established in October, 1878, and articles of incorporation were filed May 31, 1879. Akers, Russell and Martin were the proprietors. The foundry has a two story front, standing and facing on Seventh street 60 feet; it extends on Holliday street 350 feet. The blacksmith shop is 30x80 feet. It has ten forges. The machine shop faces on Seventh street and is 60x60. The office and pattern buildings are west of the railroad track, opposite the foundry, 25x80 feet.
The present proprietors are as follows: President, William Fidler; Secretary and Treasurer, C. H. Rodemer; Superintendent, H. G. Williams.
Their office and works are situated one block south of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe passenger depot. Much of their work is for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. Company. They manufacture engines, pulleys, shafting, columns, pilasters, arches, lintels, prismatic light and diamond sidewalk plates, lamp and hitching posts, cast iron piles, cast iron piles, pile drivers and derricks, street and coal mine railway supplies, ornamental fencing and mill machinery.
They manufactured the iron roof of the west wing of the State House, and the iron work of the government building, corner of Fifth and Kansas avenue. The wrought iron work and stairway of the Windsor was manufactured by them, and their iron store and house fronts may be seen in Denver, Col., in Trinidad, New Mexico, and in the principal towns in Kansas.
They manufacture stone crushers and ore reducers. Mr. John Hervey, one of the workmen, has invented an ore crusher, for which he received a patent June 9, 1882, which reduces the ore to a fine powder, and obviates the necessity of a stamp mill. He has also mechanical movement adapted to several kinds of machinery, which is a power for valve motion. There are sixty-five men employed in these works. Their prices are from $2.50 to $3 per day. The work turned out during the year amounts to about $125,000.
City Foundry.--This is situated near the northeast corner of Kansas avenue and Third street, Charles Lindenschmidt, proprietor. Mr. Lindenschmidt manufactures iron fences, stairways and railing, and wheelbarrows. His first place of business was on the east side of Kansas avenue, between Fourth and Fifth streets. He at first did considerable moulding and a general work, but his line of labor now is mainly confined to the above specialties.
Barbed Wire Works.--The manufacture of barbed wire was commenced on Railroad street, North Topeka, by Hulburt & Gould, in March, 1879. In 1880 their interests were disposed of to J. S. Beverly. He sold August 1, 1880, his interests to O. Huckstadt, and Charles R. Paine then commenced the business, renting of Mr. Huckstadt. The works are now located at No. 110 Kansas avenue, North Topeka, where there is a shop 24 feet wide; the room is forty feet in length, the rear room is sixty feet. Since March 1, 1882, six persons have been engaged in the shops. There are 1,000 pounds of barbed wire manufactured daily, five barbing machines being in use. There is a large local retail demand. The wholesale trade is on various points on the Union Pacific and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroads. Mr. Paine has invented a barb-cutter which works to a charm, making all the barbs alike perfect. It saves both labor and material.
The Central Flouring Mills (North Topeka).--This establishment, No. 68 Kansas avenue, L. P. J. Laurent, proprietor, fronts fifty feet on the avenue and 175 feet on Curtis street. The front, stone part, is 51 feet in length; the wood part, in the rear, is 74 feet and there are corn cribs attached. It has three run of stones, with a separator, smutter, and brushing machine, and a steam corn-sheller which can shell 200 bushels in an hour.
It has a cupola erected to elevate wheat and distribute it over the mill, and a switch from the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad runs along the north side of the mill on Curtis street. A substantial brick smoke stack was erected in 1881, at a cost of $350. It has a purifier costing about $400, which is used in manufacturing patent flour. It has a capacity to manufacture 5,000 pounds of flour a day, and its corn buhr can turn out from 300 to 400 bushels of meal or corn chop per day. The flour is manufactured mostly for home consumption.
The value of the mill property is $10,000. Mr. Laurent originally put up the mill on the Kaw half-breed lands, No. 5, as a saw mill, and he moved it to North Topeka in 1869, and put it up as a flouring mill, where it had extensive patronage in the then new town of Eugene.
Shawnee Mills.--The present owners of this mill are J. P. Griswold and J. L. Shellabarger, of this city, and D. S. Shellabarger, of Decatur, Ill., who obtained this property in the spring of 1871. It had then three run of stones, and employed five men. It now employs ten men and has seven run of stones. The site is the southwest corner of Kansas avenue and Third street. The main building is an attractive structure 40x50 feet. The store house for flour has a 45 feet front. The structure is three stories in height, and there is an elevator whose capacity is 35,000 bushels. The mill can grind 1,000 bushels of wheat a day.
The mill was rebuilt in the latter part of the year 1879, and it was refurnished with new machinery, and commenced under the improved regime, January 1, 1880. Its cost was $18,000. It has a fine ninety horse power engine, and it is heated by steam throughout. It is a model mill from basement to roof, and its interior is furnished in as tasty a manner as the better class of business houses. This firm deals largely in grain. Their shipments of corn have reached 50,000 bushels a year, and the average sale of their mill products reaches $200,000 a year. East, they ship flour to Chicago; north, to Iowa; west, to the Rocky Mountains; south to the Gulf of Mexico.
The Inter Ocean Flouring Mills was commenced by Mr. Gordon, of Wyandotte. When the building was finished, in November, 1878, Thomas Page and Willis Norton purchased the property, put in the machinery, and started the mill, in July, 1879. Originally its capacity was 150 barrels, at present it is 200 barrels. It is a merchant mill exclusively. They use the Hungarian patent process, Wegman's patent porcelain rollers, and W. D. Gray's patent noiseless roller mill. They give employment to twelve men, and manufacture winter wheat flour altogether. Their shipments are largely local, and to Iowa, Illinois and Texas.
Topeka Mill and Elevator Company was organized in 1882, with a cash capital of $100,000. When completed, which will be in the fall of 1882, the buildings controlled by the company will comprise a flour mill, capacity 225 barrels per day; a fine press linseed oil mill, capacity 750 bushels of seed daily, and an elevator with a capacity of 60,000 bushels. Officers: P. G. Noel, president; J. D. Burr, secretary and treasurer. Stockholders: L. Z. Leiter, Chicago; George Hackney, J. D. Burr and P. G. Noel, Topeka.
The Topeka Sugar Refining Company was organized in December, 1881, articles of incorporation being filed about the 18th of February. Capital $50,000. C. K. Holliday, president; George S. Brown, vice-president; Willis Norton, treasurer, and J. G. Slonecker, secretary. The works will be ready for operation by October 1, 1882. The company will start with a capacity of 200 bushels of corn per day. Will employ about twelve hands.