William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 20] [part 18] [Cutler's History]


D. J. CALEB, contractor and builder, came to Kansas in 1870 from New Jersey, locating in Topeka in 1871. He was born in Merthyr Tydvil, South Wales, the most eminent place for iron works and mines in the world, September 30, 1834; remained in his native county until he was thirty years of age, and was apprenticed as a carpenter when ten years of age serving for seven years, and when seventeen years of age was a competent contractor. Came to America in July, 1866, locating in Jersey City until 1870. He was married in December, 1868, in Merthyr Tydvil, to Miss Mary A. Nichols, a native of Cardiff. They have four children Ivor, Alice, Samuel and Lizzie.

ANDREW M. CALLAHAM, dentist, came to Topeka in October, 1866, and has been engaged in the practice of dentistry since that time. For the last three years he has also been engaged in stock-raising, and has a stock farm in the southwest corner of Maple Hill Township, Wabaunsee County. He has been a member of the School Board, since the spring of 1881. He was born in Cass County, Ind., February 5, 1840, and lived there until August, 1861, when he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. In August, 1862, he assisted in raising Company H, Seventy-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was elected Second Lieutenant of the Company. After serving eight months he was taken prisoner near Rome, Ga., and remained in rebel prisons nineteen months and ten days, being released on parole in December, 1864. He was married at Lewisburg, O., April 4, 1865, to Carrie A. Alderman, a native of that place. They have three children--Nellie L., Arthur G., and Myrtle Grace, and lost one son in infancy. Dr. Callaham is now Most Illustrious Grand Master of the Grand Council of Kansas, and in 1881 was Grand Commander of Grand Commandery of Knights Templar.

J. W. CAMPBELL, attorney, located at Osage City in the fall of 1872, and was there principal of the public schools during 1873-74. He then entered the junior class of the State University of Illinois, from which he graduated in 1876, when he was admitted to the bar, and has since been engaged in active practice at Topeka. He was born in Adams Township, Coshocton Co., Ohio March 24, 1851, and is a son of Patrick Steel Campbell, a prominent man in that part of Ohio. In 1872 he graduated from the Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, having taught school two years previous to his graduation. Mr. Campbell was married at Chicago, during the summer of 1879, to Eugenie Daniels, a native of Michigan. They have two children--Winifred, born April 5, 1880, and Howard, born May 9, 1882. Mr. Campbell is a member of the Baptist Church, and secretary and treasurer of the Kansas and Missouri Sunday-school Assembly.

M. T. CAMPBELL, lawyer, was born near Bloomington, Monroe Co., Ind., May 2, 1847. He was educated at the Indiana University, graduating from both the literary and law departments of that institution. In 1869 he came to Atchison, Kansas, where, after continuing his studies in a law office for nearly two years, he was admitted to the bar, and soon after went to Waterville, Kansas, where he commenced the active practice of his profession. He was married in Waterville on the 3rd day of September, 1871, to Louise Adams, youngest daughter of the late Henry J. Adams, and a native of Ohio. They have three children--Anna, Arthur Lee and Florence Powers. Mr. Campbell removed from Waterville to Topeka in December, 1872, and in the spring of 1876 was elected member of the Board of Education of the city of Topeka, and in the fall of the same year he was elected to represent his district in the Legislature for a term of two years.

GEORGE P. CAREY came to Topeka in March, 1872, and engaged in newspaper business, being one of the proprietors of the North Topeka Times for two years, and engaged in the practice of law at the same time. In the fall of 1876 he was elected Probate Judge and re-elected in 1878. Mr. Carey was born near Owensboro, Hancock Co., Ky., May 16, 1836. His parents removed to Indiana when he was one and a half years of age, and his home was in Warrick County, in that State, until he was sixteen, when he removed to Rockport, Spencer Co., Ind., and remained there until 1858. In 1859 he entered Asbury University at Greencastle, Ind., and from that place came back to Rockport, and enlisted and assisted in raising Company D, Sixty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, having previously assisted in raising the First Indiana Cavalry. He was mustered in August, 1862, at Evansville, Ind., elected Second Lieutenant of Company D, immediately promoted to First Lieutenant, and about a year later promoted to the Captaincy of the same Company. He was wounded and taken prisoner at the siege of Knoxville, Tenn., December 16, 1863, remaining in Libby Prison, Richmond, Va., until May, 1864, from whence he was taken to Danville and thence to Macon, Ga., being kept in the latter place until the fall of 1864. He was then a short time at Augusta, Ga., and then at Charleston, S.C., when, on the night of the 27th of October, the yellow fever broke out among the prisoners and seventy-two died. He was then imprisoned successively at Savannah, Ga., Wilmington, N. C., Columbus, S. C., Savannah, Ga., and finally taken to Annapolis, Md., where he was released in April, 1865. He returned to Rockport, Ind., was admitted to the bar in 1867, and in 1868 was elected County Treasurer and served two years. He was married at Dale, Spencer Co., Ind., June 2, 1867 to Mary A. McKinley, formerly of Cannelton, Ind. They have four children--William F., Maud, George Edgar and Mary E. an infant daughter. Judge Carey was a member of G.A.R. while in Indiana. He is now a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and I.O.O.F., and a lawyer by profession.

ADERIAL H. CASE, attorney at law, has been engaged in the practice of law in Topeka since July 15, 1859, the date of his location in the city, having been also engaged, to some extent, in farming. In 1861 he was elected District Attorney of the Third Judicial District, which embraced thirteen counties, and held the office two years. He held the office of Internal Revenue Assessor for his district, fifteen months. He was Assistant United States District Attorney about five years, under United States Attorneys Emory and Samuel A. Riggs. He is a native of Bradford Co., Pa., and has been engaged in practice ever since he came to Kansas. His practice has been almost entirely criminal for the past fifteen years, Charles Curtis being now associated with him in business. The number of men accused of murder, whom he has defended, amounted in 1881 to 120, and he has assisted in the prosecution of forty accused of the same crime, probably as large a number of criminal cases of that degree as any one lawyer in the country has undertaken. Mr. Case has one son, Daniel H., a native of Leavenworth.

HENRY N. CASTLE, attorney at law, president of the Western Investment Company of Topeka, Kan., and secretary of the Southwestern Mining Company, owning mines in the Black Range, New Mexico came to Kansas March 1, 1871, and located at Newbury, Wabaunsee County, on eighty acres of land, farming and teaching school for many years in that neighborhood. He then went to Cleveland, O., and commenced the study of law with Grannis & Burton, in February, 1878, remaining with them until September of the same year. He then returned to Kansas, and completed his law studies with Ross Burns, of Topeka, May 15, 1880, when he was admitted to the bar and has since that time been practicing law in the city. He is a native of Olmstead Falls, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, where he was born February 23, 1853. He received his collegiate education at Oberlin College, graduating in 1876. He was married in Geneva, Ill., May 26, 1880, to Marie E. Lane, a native of Ohio. They have one child, William Larmon, born February 23, 1882.

PHILANDER CHASE CHAMBERLAIN, second son of J. S. and Mary C. Chamberlain, was born in Peoria, Ill., September 28, 1850. Was educated at Hobart College, Geneva, N. Y.,; afterwards practiced law at Cambridge, Ill., from which place he moved to Topeka, Kan., in March, 1879 and has since that time been engaged on the editorial staff of the Topeka Daily Capital as traveling correspondent. Mr. Chamberlain was married at Cambridge, Ill., to Mary A. Call, now deceased. He has one child, Mary Chase.

CHARLES BROS., dealers in groceries, confectionery, etc., have been in business in Topeka the past four years. They carry a stock of $500, and do a very good business. Charles Charles sic was born in Greene County, Ala., in 1855. His parents moved to Scott County, Miss., where he remained until he came to Topeka in 1878. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. order. George W. Charles, Jr. was born in Greene County, Ala., in 1858, removing to Scott County, Miss., with his parents, when only a few years old. He remained there until he came to Topeka in 1878. He was appointed a State Guard at Jackson, Miss., in 1874, and held that position until he removed from the State. He is a member of the Order of I.O.O.F. George Charles was born in Franklin County, Ala., May 31, 1832. In 1851 he married in Perry County, Ala., Julia Hendon. They have two children, Charles and George W. He removed to Scott County, Miss., where he resided during the war. He there learned the shoemaker's trade, which he has since followed. He represented his district in the Mississippi State Legislature in 1869-70 and was Inspector of State Prison nearly three years. He organized the Emigration Society in Mississippi, in 1876, and was one of the prime movers in the Exoduster movement. He was also Lieutenant-Colonel of First Lincoln County Regiment, of the State of Mississippi, from 1873 to 1877.

GEORGE S. CHASE was born in Charlestown, Mass., in October, 1850; came to Topeka in 1855; his father, Enoch Chase, now a resident of this city, having located here in December, 1854. George attended the public schools in Topeka until 1867, he then entered Washburn College, remaining there until 1870, when he went to Harvard College Law School, from which he graduated in 1873 and immediately returned to Topeka, being admitted to the bar the same year and engaged in practice, which he has since continued, from 1875 until November, 1882, having charge of the law business of the Land Department of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. Co. He is a member of the Topeka Board of Education, having been elected in 1882. He is Secretary of the Topeka Scientific Club, member of the Kansas Academy of Science, and Treasurer of the Santa Fe Mining Co.

ENOCH CHASE, son of Nathaniel and Harriet Ann (Doyle) Chase, was born in Newburyport, Mass., August 29, 1824. He was educated at the common schools of his native town, and was employed in the shipyard with his father until the age of seventeen. In the spring of 1841, he went to Boston and learned the trade of upholsterer, in which he became expert, and followed as his business. He was married, while a resident of Boston, to Miss Mary Jane Dunlap, a daughter of Martin and Mary F. (Freddick) Dunlap of Brunswick, Maine, and it was while living in that city that their two children were born--Isabelle M., born February 9, 1858, now the wife of ex-Governor S. J. Crawford of Kansas, and George Sidney born October 27, 1850, now a resident attorney of Topeka. In November, 1854, Mr. Chase determined to learn for himself the truth of the current reports in regard to Kansas, and came to the Territory with one of the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid companies, arriving November 20, 1854; with eight companions, and a wagon load of provisions, he started for Lawrence, and arrived in that city of "great expectations" after four days travel. Finding the accommodations of the Lawrence "Hotels" not in consonance with their Yankee ideals of cleanliness and comfort, the party built a sod house of their own, which they occupied a week, at the end of which time, four of the company decided to try their fortune further west, "up the Kaw." Accordingly, Enoch Chase, M. C. Dickey, George Davis and Jacob Chase bought the whole stock of provisions belonging to the party, and started in the proposed direction to locate a town for themselves. On arriving at the present site of Topeka, they selected Section 31, on which that city is now located, and each selecting a quarter section, they drove their stakes and built a log house where now is the northwest corner of Kansas avenue and First street. While the house was being built, Mr. Dickey went back to Lawrence, and on his return a day or two later, there came with him a larger party, also desiring to locate a town, among whom were D. H. Horne, Col. C. K. Holliday, F. W. Giles and others. Mr. Chase and his companions surrendered Section 31, for a town site, and took claims adjoining, and on December 5, 1854, the Topeka Town Company was organized, of which Col. Holliday was President and the united party members. The claim which Mr. Chase took was near the present site of Washburn College, and there he built a house which boasted the first wooden floor in Topeka, and to which he took his wife and children, when they arrived, in March, 1855. The following October he moved into town and remained during the convention of October 28, 1855, bringing provisions from Lawrence to supply the wants of the hungry delegates. After returning to his claim and remaining a short time, Mr. Chase and wife located permanently in the city, and opened a boarding house, which soon became famous as the favorite resort of the most noted Kansas celebrities. Mr. Chase built a large frame house on Sixth street, near Kansas avenue, which was used as a hotel, and in 1857 he opened the Chase House, now remodeled into the Capitol House. He also built and resided for years in the stone house on the corner of Sixth and Jackson, now used as offices by the A., T. & S. F. R.R. Co. Mr. and Mrs. Chase still reside in Topeka, and are among the most honored and respected citizens of that city, to the improvement of which they have contributed so largely.

CALEB CHIVERS, steam dyer, scourer and merchant tailor, was born in Buckinghamshire, Eng., October 6, 1846, and there learned the trade of tailor, with his father, James Chivers, following that business until 1871, when he emigrated to America. He was there married, in March, 1868, to Miss Mary Ann Meakes. They have two children living, Herbert C. and Gertrude E. In 1874 he entered the sewing machine and musical instrument business at Leavenworth, carrying that on in connection with his business of steam dyeing and tailoring, until 1882, when he took charge of the steam dyeing and merchant tailor business previously conducted by his father at Topeka for several years. His establishment is supplied with the latest improved machinery, and the business, which is rapidly increasing, now gives employment to seven men. He carries also a large stock of sewing machines in connection with his other business. He is a member of Leavenworth Lodge No. 2, I.O.O.F. His father, James Chivers, deceased, was born in Reading, Berkshire, England in 1816, and there learned the trade of tailor. He afterwards went to Eton, Buckinghamshire, where he remained until 1853, following his business of tailor and doing a large business employing twenty-five men most of the time. While there he was tailor to "His Royal Highness" Prince Albert. He there married Mary Hoar, of Poughbourne, Oxfordshire. They had seven children--Ephraim, Mary, Thomas, Isaac, Caleb, Noah, Lot. In 1853 he emigrated to America, locating at Baltimore, where he remained a few years. He went to Pike's Peak, remaining a short time, and soon afterwards located a claim near Junction City, where he remained a short time. He then opened a merchant tailor and dyeing business at Leavenworth, which he carried on until 1874, when he moved to Topeka and established the steam dyeing and tailor business, which he carried on until his death, in December, 1881. He was a staunch Republican, taking an active part in the early affairs of the State. He was a member of Leavenworth Lodge No. 1, I.O.O.F., of which he was past grand; also of Knights of Honor Lodge at Topeka, of which he was dictator.

THEODORE H. CHURCH, bookseller and stationer, was born in Butternuts, Otsego Co., N.Y., May 17, 1830, living there until 1852, when he removed to Rochester, N.Y., alternating between that city and his native county until 1862, when he removed to Cairo, Ill., living there and in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Missouri until he came to Topeka, in September, 1869, where he has since been engaged in his present business. He was married in Rochester, N.Y., August 7, 1856, to Sarah I. Bleloch, a native of that place, being of Scotch-English descent. They have four children--Herbert B., Willard Q., Mary Violet and Alena. Mr. Church has been a member of the Board of Education. He is a son of Simeon and Anna (Bushnell) Church; father a native of New Hampshire and mother was born in Vermont.

HENRY S. CLARK, attorney-at-law and real estate agent; was born July, 1831, at Hopkinsville, Ky., and reared from the age of six years at Bloomington, Ill. He was educated at the Wesleyan College at Bloomington, Shurtliff College, Alton, Ill., and was admitted to the bar in Illinois, by Judge Davis, now Senator from that State. In 1855 he removed from Illinois to Mexico, Mo., where he resided and practiced his profession until 1858, from which time until the summer of 1861, he resided in Rolla, Mo. He then entered the home guards which were afterward merged into the Missouri State Militia, being on duty eighteen months, seven months in active service. He was then employed in the civil service, recruiting, furnishing supplies and looking after and providing for the refugees. In November, 1866, he removed with his family to Texas where he had an appointment as prosecuting attorney for the eighth Judicial Circuit under the provisional government of the State. He retained that office four years and afterward remained in the State engaged in practice until March, 1873, when he returned to Mexico, Mo. He removed from Mexico to Topeka in May, 1880, and is engaged in the practice of law and dealing in real estate in that city. He was married at Mexico, Mo., November 11, 1851, Fannie E. Cassidy, a native of Bourbon County, Ky. They have three sons--Charles C., William H. and George A. Mr. Clark is a member of the I.O.O.F. and K. of P.

NEHEMIAH H. CLARK, M.D., was born in Farmington, Franklin Co., Me., June 22, 1817. He received his literary education at the public schools of his native county and at the Wesleyan Seminary at Kent's Hill, Me. He attended four courses of medical lectures and in 1842 graduated from Bowdoin College, having commenced practice in 1841, continuing in practice at Weld, Me., until 1844, afterwards at Welton until 1852 when he removed to his native town where he remained until January, 1863. From the commencement of the war 1861 until the date before mentioned (January, 1863) he was the examining surgeon of soldiers for Franklin County. He then entered the service as contract surgeon, serving in that capacity until the summer of 1864. In November, 1865, he removed to Quincy, Ill. On account of ill health he was obliged to leave that climate and resided in Winchester, in the same State, until he came to Topeka in September, 1880. He was married in Weld, Me., September 5, 1842, to Judith Newman; a native of that place. She died May 15, 1852, leaving two children, Viola F. and Newman E., both now residing with their father, the latter pursuing medical studies. Doctor Clark is a member of A.F. & A.M.

D. A. CLEMENTS of the firm of Bates & Clements, dry goods merchants, was born in Washington, Daviess Co., Ind., November 4, 1851. In 1866 he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was connected with the wholesale dry goods establishment of Richardson, Northman & Co., until March, 1868, when he came to Topeka, being employed here for five years in the mercantile house of F. Johnson & Son, afterward with Keith & Billingsley for six years, then with J.G. Funk & Co., until the present firm of which he is a member was organized in January, 1881. Mr. C. was married at Topeka October 12, 1875, to Jessie B. Thomas, a native of Towanda, Pa. They have two children--Thomas A. and Richard A.

H. C. CLEMENTS, auditor Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. First commenced his connection with railways in 1870, as a clerk in the auditor's department of the Kansas Pacific Railway at St. Louis, Mo., advancing through the intermediate positions, was appointed auditor in 1878, which position he retained until the consolidation of the K.P.R.R. with the U.P.R.R. After a short season devoted to recuperation he moved to Topeka, taking his position March, 1881.

H. M. CLINE, dealer in stoves and tinware, was born in Fairville, Lancaster Co., Pa., July 8, 1847, living there until he came to Topeka, Kan., June 15, 1878. He was engaged in the same business in Pennsylvania that he now carries on. He was married to Amelia Widenmeyer, of Harrisburg, Pa., a daughter of Wm. Widenmeyer, of that city. They have one son, now ten years of age. Mr. Cline enlisted in the spring of 1864 in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry and served with honor until the close of the war. He is a member of the Kaw Valley Lodge No. 20, A.O.U.W.

O. F. CODINGTON, of the firm of Berdge & Codington, grocers, No. 128 Lake street, came to Kansas in 1869, and located at Silver Lake, Shawnee County. Was born April 6, 1856 in Warren County, Ohio, and resided there until 13 years of age. Is a painter by trade and has worked in various parts of the State and at Kansas City for about six years. Came to Topeka and clerked for his brother-in-law, Mr. Berdge, for a few months and entered into his present copartnership in December, 1861.

THOMAS V. CODINGTON, contractor and builder. Has been in business in Topeka sixteen years; business ran to $98,000 in the years 1871 and 1872. Did about $40,000 annually in 1871 and 1872. Built the courthouse at Salina and built the school building at Burlingame. Had the contract for the wood work on the Topeka water works buildings and reservoirs. Constructed the building now occupied by the Topeka bank and has constructed many business houses. Has on an average twelve men employed during the building season, besides sub-contractors in plastering and painting. Enlisted in September, 1861, in Company C, Fifty-Fourth Ohio, as a private organizer at Camp Dennison. Was in the Second Brigade, Second Division, Fifteenth army corps, and operated mostly on the Mississippi river. Was with his command and participated in the battles of Shiloh, Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post and the siege of Vicksburg. Had his left fore fingers shot off and a flesh wound in his right side at Shiloh, four balls striking his clothing at the same time. Was with Sherman's army from the battle of Shiloh until after the siege of Vicksburg. Was mustered out as a private September 4, 1863, and was mustered in as an officer of the United States colored service, Second Lieutenant Company F, Fifty-Second United States troops the same day, and did provost duty at Vicksburg until the close of the war, and was finally mustered out at Meridan in July, 1865. He was born in Warren County, Ohio, January 26, 1833, and remained in his native county until he was eighteen years of age, engaged in farming with his father; then moved to Blanchester, Clinton Co., Ohio in 1851 and learned his trade at which he worked until enlisting. Returned to Blanchester after the war and remained until 1867 when he came to Topeka, which was then a village of about 3,000 people. In the fall of 1874 he bought a farm near Tecumseh and remained there until 1877 when he returned to Topeka again engaging in contracting, which he has since followed. He was married in May, 1854, at Blanchester, Ohio, to Miss Mary A. Blancett, a native of Clinton County, Ohio. They have four children--Charles W., now agent for the B.A & M. railroad at Alma and has been in the employ of the A., T. & S. F. railroad for five years; Addie, now Mrs. J. S. Warner, farming on the Mission Creek twelve miles southwest of Topeka; Della M. and Nannie W. Mr. Codington is a member of Topeka Commandery K.T. No. 5, Capital Legion No. 1, Select Knights A.O.U.W., Lincoln Post No. 1, G.A.R.

E. V. COLDREN, M. D. was born in Delaware, Marion County, Ohio, September 22, 1841. He was educated at the La Grange Seminary in Indiana. His medical preceptor was Dr. A. J. Wiley, of Austin, Va. After pursuing a thorough course of study under Dr. Wiley, he attended lectures at the Western Reserve Medical College, in due course of time graduating from that institution in 1861. Afterwards he received an honorary degree from the Fifth Ward of Estes Hospital, and for eighteen years prior to removal to Topeka he was in general practice at Dubuque, Iowa. January 22, 1882, he came to Topeka. He is a member of Eastern Kansas District Medical Society. While at Dubuque he was secretary of the city and county medical societies.

L. T. COLDREN, real estate and loan agent, located at Topeka, December, 1870, and has since that time been engaged in business in that city, commencing real estate business in 1879. Since April 10, 1882, Mr. Bain has been associated with him as partner. He was born in Delaware, Delaware County, Ohio, October 27, 1842. When a lad of nine years he removed with his parents to Iowa and located at Newton, Jasper County. Remained there four years and again removed to Nevada, Story County, in the same State. July 27, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Eighteenth Iowa Infantry, in which he served three years. He was wounded and taken prisoner at Poison Springs, Ark., April 18, 1864, and was in prison in Texas until paroled in March, 1865. He was discharged May 14, 1865. He then located at Boone, Boone Co., Iowa, but entered Bryant & Stratton's Mercantile College at Chicago in January, 1866. After completing his course, he was engaged in lumber business in Iowa for two years, and then emigrated to Kansas. He was married in Jefferson, Green County, Iowa, November 27, 1867, to Mary L. Stiles, of Bethlehem, Ohio. Mr. Coldren is a member of G.A.R.

JOHN P. COLE, wholesale and retail grocer, was born in Portland, Me., March 31, 1834, but reared and educated in Newburyport, Mass., which was his home from the age of two years until he came to Kansas in July, 1868. He served in the United States Navy from June, 1861, to July, 1868, being in active service all the time excepting sixty days furlough. He served as sailor the first year and was then master's mate eighteen months and acting ensign after August, 1864, having passed a satisfactory examination for that position. After locating in Topeka he was in the laundry business about a year and then went into the retail business, to which he added a wholesale department in 1874, and now carries on both branches. He gives employment to ten men. His sales are principally in Kansas and now amount to about $200,000 per annum.

J. S. COLLINS, real estate and loan agent, located in Kansas in November, 1856. He first lived for three years at Wyandotte, then moved to Pottawatomie County, and lived near Westmoreland until 1869, when he came to Topeka. He was born in Watertown, Jefferson County, N.Y., August 9, 1848. Judge John Collins, father of James S., was one of the earliest settlers in Kansas. He was born in Ireland April 15, 1810. Came to America when eleven years of age, and located in Nova Scotia where he remained two years. He then went to Little Falls, N.Y., and ran a woolen mill several years; and for three years prior to coming to Kansas, he was at Watertown, N.Y., also superintending the construction and running of woolen mills. He came to Wyandotte, Kansas in November, 1856, bringing with him a steam saw mill which he had made to order in New York, and which he kept in operation in Wyandotte about three and a half years, it being one of the first steam saw mills in Kansas. He then removed to Pottawatomie County, taking with him a steam saw and grist mill, which he owned for about six years, and operated in conjunction with his extensive farm. Mr. Collins was prominently connected with early Territorial interests. He was one of the first judges of elections, and he instituted the first I.O.O.F. lodge in the Territory--Shawnee Lodge, No. 1--first known as Tecumseh Lodge from the place where it was organized. He was Territorial grand master of the I.O.O.F. and held the office of Justice of the Peace for seventeen years prior to his death, which occurred July 8, 1882. His family consisted of Joseph H., now post surgeon at Fort Union, N.M.; Mary J., now Mrs. Wm. Gillespie, and a resident of Garrison, Kansas; John, Jr., now on the homestead, and James S., now in real estate and loan business in Kansas.

H. I. COOK & CO., hardware merchants, established business in 1879. The firm is composed of H. I. Cook, Christian States and W. M. Anderson. Mr. Cook is a native of Mansfield, Ohio, where he resided until he came to Topeka, in 1872. He was employed as a clerk until the present firm was organized. He is a member of the K. of P. Was married at Topeka in October, 1877, to Mary S. White. They have one child, Clarence W.

W. C. COOK, contractor and builder, was born in Richmond, Ind., November 6, 1848, living in that county, and in Randolph and Fulton counties until 1864, when he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh, Illinois, under Capt. J. B. Johnson, well known in Kansas; he was mustered out in Springfield, Ill., in the latter part of 1864. He afterwards worked at his trade in various places in Illinois, and in 1878, when he came to Kansas, locating in Osage County; and of the summer of 1880 when he moved to Topeka, and since then has been engaged in contracting and building. He was married in Michigan Valley, Kansas, June 6, 1880, to Miss Linda Barnett. He is a member of the Spoon River Lodge, No. 78, I.O.O.F., at Ellisville, Ill.

[TOC] [part 20] [part 18] [Cutler's History]