|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FABRIQUE - GUTHRIE).
ANDREW H. FABRIQUE, M. D., was born in Hinesburg, Vt., September 9, 1835. When he was one year of age his parents removed to New Albany, Ind., which was the home of A. H. until the close of the war. April 28, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry and was elected First Lieutenant of his company on its organization. He served until July 21, 1865, having been promoted during service to Lieutenant Colonel of his regiment. He was taken prisoner at Memphis in May, 1862, but escaped about an hour later. He received a gunshot wound through his left arm at the Battle of Shiloh, which disabled him for nearly a year, and afterward less serious ones at Vicksburg, Mission Ridge and Atlanta. After the close of the war he was appointed Lieutenant in the regular army; which position he resigned in 1868. Prior to coming to Kansas in September, 1869, his home had been for a time in Aurora, Ill. Dr. Fabrique received his literary and medical education at Center College, Danville, Ky., and at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, N. Y. He is a member of the United States Medical Association, South Kansas Medical Association and A., F. & A. M. He was married at Memphis, Tenn., September 26, 1866, to Sarah Philler, a native of New Albany, Ind., by whom he has one child - Mattie L. Dr. F. served on Gen. McPherson's Staff from July 12, 1863, to July 4, 1864, and on Gen. Blair's Staff from July 6, 1864, to July 21, 1865.
BENJAMIN H. FISHER, attorney-at-law, is a native of Dover, Windham Co., Vt. where he was born, March 10, 1816. He was reared near Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, his parents removing to that place when he was six months of age. When he was twenty-one he engaged in canal engineering, department of Wabash & Erie Canal, remaining in the same department five years. He then returned to Cuyahoga County, where he lived about eight years, reading law while residing there, and removing thence to Williams County, where he remained fourteen years before coming to Kansas. He located in Wichita in March, 1872, having visited the place and purchased property in December, 1871. He was engaged in active practice in Wichita until about 1880, serving one term as City Attorney. He was also engaged in cattle business about five years. He was married in Hudson, now Summit County, Ohio, February 21, 1841, to Harriet Letcher, a cousin of Gen. Garfield, her mother and Gen. Garfield's father being brother and sister. Mrs. Fisher was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y. The children of Mr. and Mrs. F. are Jonathan, Caroline, Frank and Lane. Mr. F. is a member of the First Spiritualist Society of Wichita. He entered Company C, Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, April, 1861, as Captain of the company for three months' service. At expiration of term, he re-enlisted in Company I, Thirty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being Captain of this company also, but was detailed for first eight months as clerk in medical director's office at Louisville. He then served in the regiment until a few months after the battle of Chickamauga, when he was detailed as Chief Commissary of First Cavalry Division of Army of Cumberland, and served in that position about one year, when he resigned on account of his father's illness.
ELIJAH P. FORD located in Illinois Township, Sedgwick Co., Kan., November 13, 1876, his farm being on the southeast quarter of Section 36, Township 27, Range 1 west. He resided there until August 3, 1881, when he removed to Wichita, and since the 15th of the same month has held the position of Deputy County Clerk. Was born in Chester, Delaware County, Pa., September 27, 1831, where he resided, till October 20, 1846, when with his parents he removed to Macoupin County, Ill., and came from thence to Kansas. He was married, May 15, 1857, at Chesterfield, Macoupin Co., Ill., to Sarah E. Lee, a native of Greene County, Ill. Their children now living are - Frederick L., Frank J., Mary C., Georgianna and Susie S. Mr. F. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the A., F. & A. M., and G. A. R. Was a member of Company H, Eighty-eighth Illinois Volunteers. Enlisted August 12, 1862.
ROBERT FORRESTER has been a resident of Kansas since September 12, 1870, at which time he located in Grant Township, Sedgwick County, and engaged in farming and carpenter work. Since removing to Wichita, August 13, 1879, he has devoted himself to his trade. Mr. Forrester was born in Indiana, but reared, from the age of six months, in Columbus, Ohio, from which place he removed to Mercer County, Ill., in April, 1857, remaining in Mercer until August 16, 1861. He then enlisted in Company A, Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until March 30, 1863, when he was discharged, and re-enlisted in Company I, Mississippi Marine Brigade, being mustered in the day of his discharge from the former regiment. He was finally mustered out, January 18, 1865, and returned to Illinois, where he remained until he removed to Kansas. He was married, in Millersburg, Mercer County, Ill., December 6, 1865, to Hattie Middleton born near Cincinnati, Ohio, and a resident of that city until she moved, when nine years of age, with her parents to Mercer County, Ill. The four children of Mr. & Mrs. F. are - Maud S., Frank L., Harry E. and Pet. Mr. F. is a member of G. A. R. and I. O. O. F.
GEORGE S. FREEMAN, proprietor of Freeman's Dining Rooms, was born in Rockford, Ill., in 1857. Is the son of K. M. Freeman and E. C. (Sheldon) Freeman. Married in 1878 Miss Cora P. Hart and has two children, Jennie E. and an infant. Came to Kansas in 1877 and located at Wichita. Engaged in farming for three years. In 1881 engaged in the loan business and continued in it for two years. In 1882 opened his dining rooms. Has the largest establishment of the kind in Sedgwick County. Has forty boarders and fifty sleeping apartments in connection with transient trade.
JACOB FULLER, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Wichita, was born in Pennsylvania in 1833. Son of John Fuller and Margaret (Engle) Fuller. He married in 1861 Miss Hannah Mitchel, daughter of Andrew and Hannah Mitchel, and has four children, Trueman T., Emma J., Cora E. and Charles M. Came to Kansas in 1878 and located in Wichita Township, where he has since resided. Is engaged in farming five miles northeast of Wichita. Is steward of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES FULMER, blacksmith, was born in Bucks County, Pa., in 1859. Son of Tobias Fulmer, and Lydis (Mitman) Fulmer. Came to Kansas in 1882 and located at Wichita. Commenced in blacksmith business on the corner of Douglas avenue and Wichita street. Owns the property where his business is located. Business increasing. Is a member of the German Reformed Church.
CHARLES C. FURLEY, the subject of this sketch, was born in Hudson County, N. J., March 28, 1838, and spent his early youth between his native village and the city of New York, which is about five miles distant. About the age of twelve he emigrated to California in company with his family, his father having preceded them to the land of gold, where the subject of our sketch lived, was educated, and studying medicine, graduated in 1860 from the medical department of the University of the Pacific, now called Cooper Medical College. When the late war fired the hearts of the old and the young, Dr. Furley, who had only lately graduated in his profession, was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the Second California Cavalry, in which capacity he served until 1863, when he resigned to accept the position of Surgeon in the service of the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, and after serving something over a year resigned to return to the army as Assistant Surgeon, in which capacity he served in the Army of the Potomac, Departments of Virginia and of the Gulf until a year after the close of the war. He spent one year in Wyoming Territory prior to his coming to Kansas, which he did in 1869, settling in Abilene, where he practiced his profession for two years and then removed to Wichita. He has continuously practiced his profession since. Dr. Furley is a member of the American Medical Association and the Kansas State Medical Society, having been the president of the latter association two terms - the only man having had that honor conferred upon him twice. He is also a member of the South Kansas Medical Society and was its first president. Capable, kind hearted, and benevolent, possessed of a liberal spirit, Dr. Furley has a distinctive eminence not only in his profession, but in the walks of every day life. As an Odd Fellow he is recognized as one of the first, being at the present time Grand Patriarch - the chief officer of the upper branch of Odd Fellowship in Kansas.
A. M. GARRISON, saddler, and harnessmaker, came to Kansas in 1858, locating at Auburn; lived there for twenty-four years, engaged in farming. Removed to Wichita in 1882 and engaged in his present business. He was born in Rockville, Parke Co., Ind., in 1847. He was married at Topeka, Kansas, in 1874, to Miss Mary Moffitt. Has two children - Numan H. and Charles C. He is the son of Samuel Y., and Margaret B. (McNutt) Garrison, and has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for twelve years.
CHARLES M. GARRISON, harnessmaker and saddler, came to Kansas in 1858, and located at Auburn; engaged in farming and mail contracting. Had the first mail contract to Salina, connecting with the Lawrence and Leavenworth mail. Remained at Auburn ten years. In 1870, he carried the first regular U. S. mail that ever came to Wichita. He located at Wichita the same year, and commenced the harness and saddlery business. He was the first man to engage in that business in Wichita. He was born in Rockville, Parke Co., Ind., in 1836, and is the son of Samuel Y. and Margaret B. (McNutt) Garrison. He was married in Wichita, to Sarah M. Grantham, in July, 1871. Has five children - William L., Etna E., Mary, Walter and Gertrude. Was in Kansas State Militia, Second Regiment. Company G, during the War of the Rebellion, and was called to the United States service in Missouri, and was engaged with Shelby's cavalry. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for eight years, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Wichita Lodge No. 99; was a member of the Board of Education for two years; member of the City Council of the city of Wichita for four years; is a member of the Board of Trade and the Old settlers' Association. His wife is the daughter of J. W. and Emily E. Huckeybee Grantham, the former born in Georgia in 1823, and the latter in North Carolina in 1824.
ROBERT M. GARDNER, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stable, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., in 1848; son of John S. Gardner and Mary Mickey Gardner. He married, in 1872, Miss Susannah Pearson, and has two children - Mary Pearson and John F. Gardner. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Clearwater, engaged in farming and stock raising, and still owns his farm and carries on the business in connection with his business in town. Business in Wichita is located at No. 39 Douglas avenue. He has served two years as Township Trustee.
MARTIN L. GARVER, was born near Chambersburg, Pa., May 16, 1844. He served until the fall of 1863 in Company A, Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and in 1874 removed from his native place to Mansfield, Ohio, where he lived until he emigrated to Kansas. His first location in Kansas was at Columbus, in April, 1879, whence he removed to Wichita the following month and engaged in the loan and real estate business, which he continued to the present time. He is agent for H. C. Wilson & Co., of St. Louis, Loan Agents of that place, representing Sedgwick, Sumner, Harper, Kingman and Reno counties, and partially Butler County. Mr. Garver was married at Mansfield, Ohio, April 12, 1871, to Kate B. Emminger, a native of that place. They have four children - Mary L., George J., James L. and Charles L. Mr. G. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and a graduate of Wittenburg College, Springfield, Ohio, June, 1866.
C. A. GATES, collector and salesman for M. A. Sayles, farm implements. Was born in Ohio in 1836; son of Caleb and Sarah Tucker Gates. He married in 1875 Miss A. E. White, daughter of Stephen T. and P. White. They have three children - Arzemia, Arthur, and Merrill. Mr. Gates was educated in Ohio and studied theology from 1859 to 1862. From that time until 1873 he was engaged as a locomotive engineer. In 1873 he joined the Des Moines Conference and commenced pastoral work. He was ordained deacon in 1875. In 1875 he was obliged to give up his pastoral labor on account of failing health. He came to Kansas that year and located on a farm in Sedgwick County. In 1876 he accepted an appointment on the West Wichita Circuit in place of J. F. Nessley, resigned. He filled that appointment until the close of the Conference year. In 1879 he was appointed on the Cartwright Circuit, and remained on that circuit one year. In 1880 he removed to Wichita and accepted a position as engineer. In 1882 he engaged with M. A. Sayles. He owns a residence on the corner of Fifth avenue and Oak Street. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., Wichita Lodge, No. 99, ancient member of the I. O. O. F.
PETER GETTO, manufacturer of mineral and soda water. He was born in Germany, 1841, son of Michael Getto and Sophia Eckert Getto. He married in 1872 Miss Theressia Zimmerman, and has three children - Sophia, Josephine and Theressia. He came to Kansas in 1871 and located at Wichita. He engaged in the grocery business in the firm of Hess & Getto and continued in that business for six years, then engaged in the business of manufacturing mineral and soda water. His factory is located on the corner of Main and Second streets. He owns the building and also residence on Second street and a farm in Section 10. Is a member of the K. of H., Wichita Lodge, No. 528, and of the K. of P., Warwick Lodge, No. 54, and of the Turn Verein of Wichita. Is a member of the Wichita City Council, and has served in that capacity for four years.
J. F. GLAZBROOK, blacksmith, was born in Tennessee in 1836; son of John R. Glazbrook and Nancy Harrol Glazbrook. He married in 1855 Miss Elizabeth Johnson, and has eight children - Nancy, Margaret, Alice, John W., Leonora Belle, Dora, Annie and Willie. He came to Kansas and located at Chetopa, remaining one year. In 1871 he located at Fort Scott and engaged in blacksmithing and remained for nine years. In 1880 he removed to Wichita and engaged in the blacksmithing business, located on the east side of Market street, near Douglas avenue. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1862 in the First Arkansas Cavalry, Company B, and was in the Elkhorn, Prairie Grove and other engagements of his command. He was wounded near Bentonville, and at one time was three days without food and surrounded by the enemy. His father was killed at the battle of Prairie Grove. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., and the I. O. O. F.
A. H. GOSSARD, banker, located in Wichita in June, 1870. He was connected with the Wichita Bank, the first banking institution at Wichita, as bookkeeper, afterwards becoming cashier of the First National Bank of Wichita, which position he resigned in January, 1874, since which time he has been connected with other banks. In June, 1880 he, with others, organized the banking house of Gossard Bros. & Donahue, bankers, Belle Plaine, Kan., until October, 1882, when he sold his interest. He is at present the senior member of the firm of A. H. Gossard & Co., bankers, Wichita, Kan., one of the oldest and most successful firms of the place. Mr. Gossard was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, January 14, 1852, and resided in Ohio until he came to Kansas. He was married in Wichita, May 14, 1874, to Alice Davidson, a native of Black Creek, Allegany Co., N. Y. They have two children - Fred and Rodney Merle.
C. W. GRAHAM, dealer in agricultural implements, came to Kansas in March, 1872, and engaged in farming in Illinois Township, northeast of Section 31. In the spring of 1873 he moved to Wichita, and after carrying on the grocery business for two years, engaged in agricultural implements, which he still continues. He was born in Claysville, Washington Co., Pa., December 7, 1837, where he lived until he was three years of age, when his parents moved to Mercer County, Ill., and Ohio Grove Township. Illinois was his home until 1860, at which time he moved to Aledo, same country, and remained until the spring of 1865, when he went to Monmouth, Ill., and remained until December, 1871, when he started for Kansas. He was married in Wichita, April 11, 1877, to Catherine White, a native of Oswego, N. Y. They have two children - Katie L. and Calvin W., Jr. Mr. G. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the I. O. O. F.
G. GRIBI, contractor and builder, was born in Switzerland, in 1844; son of Fred and Anna Gribi. Was married in 1867, to Miss Anna Althous; has four children - Emma, Anna, Lena and John. Mr. Gribi came to Kansas in 1867; located at Topeka; engaged in carpentering; remained two years. In 1869 located at Wichita, and engaged in contracting and building; was the first contractor and builder in Wichita; has continued the business from that time; shop located on the northwest corner of First and Water streets. Owns residence on the southeast corner of First and Water streets. Is a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 93, I. O. O. F., and of the Wichita Turn Verein Society.
REV. R. E. GUTHRIE, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Ohio, in 1819; is the son of Robert Guthrie and Catherine Spawr, who were natives of Pennsylvania. He married in 1845, Miss Lucy Kelsall, daughter of George Kelsall and Elizabeth Rundell Kelsall, natives of England. They have nine children - Kate, Robert E., Edwin R., Sarah F., Lucy M., Mary B., Fred L., Ada and Maggie. He was educated at Bloomington, Ill., commenced the ministry in 1841, and united with the Illinois Conference in that year, and still remains connected with it; but in 1867 took a superannuated position. During his ministry was for seven years presiding elder, one year financial agent of the Illinois Female College, at Jacksonville, and one year Chaplain in the army, the remainder of the time doing pastoral labor until 1867. He was in the war, enlisting in the Ninety-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to duty in Southwestern Missouri, and Northwestern Arkansas; was in the battle of Prairie Grove; was in the Siege of Vicksburg, under Gen. McPherson. Was discharged in 1863, on account of sickness. He was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, in McLean County, Ill., in 1868, and held the position until 1872, then was engaged in farming until 1882, when he removed to Wichita, Kansas.