|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CAMPBELL - EXTON).
WILLIAM P. CAMPBELL, attorney-at-law, was born in Lincoln County, Ky., in February, 1845. He was educated in the common schools in the vicinity of his home, and at Stanford Seminary; read law at Somerset, Ky, and was admitted to the bar in 1866. July 4, 1869, arrived in Kansas, and in the following fall he located in Eldorado, Kan., where he commenced and continued the practice of his profession until he removed to Wichita in the spring of 1873. He was appointed Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial District, and twice elected to the same office, holding it nine years, since which time he has been actively engaged in practice. Judge Campbell was married January 18, 1869, to Kate Barnes, a native of Estill County, Ky., and seven children have been born to them - Josephus, Lizzie, Nannie, Susie, Kate, Sidney, and Mary Willie.
JOHN B. CAREY, lumber merchant, has been engaged in that branch of business in Wichita, since the fall of 1875, his settlement in the place dating from September 1874, at which time he invested in land, and now owns five farms in the vicinity. He is a native of Ireland, and on first coming to America, in 1847, located at Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained until 1856. He then moved to Maroa, Ill., which remained his home until he came to Kansas in 1874, he being while there member of the Common Council and Justice of the Peace. He was married in Bloomington, Ill., in October, 1858, to Sarah Bennett, a native of Ohio, who died in 1863, leaving three children, of whom one only now survives - William P. In May, 1866, Mr. Carey was married at El Paso, Ill., to Mary A. Myers, of Ohio. They have five children - Charles W., Lula, Edward, Joseph and Mary E. Mr. C. is a member of K. of P., and I. O. O. F., subordinate Lodge and Encampment.
W. H. CASTATOR, boot and shoemaker, was born in Indiana, in 1840, son of Elijah Castator and Amelia Dill Castator. Married in 1868, to Miss Sarah J. Hobson. They have three children - Frank, Elma and Bert. Came to Kansas in 1877, located at Kingman, remained there for three years, removed to Wichita, in 1880, engaged in farming for one year, then commenced at the boot and shoe business. Is a member of the Christian Church. Is an ancient member of the I. O. O. F. Is a member of the Garfield Post, G. A. R.; was in the war of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1861, Nineteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers, Company B.; was in the battles of Antietam, Gettysburg, second Bull Run, South Mountain, eleven days fight on the Rappahanock, and several other important engagements; was mustered out in 1864.
J. B. CLARK, farmer, P. O. Wichita, was born in California in 1855. Married in 1882 to Mrs. Sarah Sturns, who was born in 1849, and is a daughter of Joseph Wise. She was married to J. H. Sturns in 1869, and has one child - J. H. Sturns. Came to Kansas in 1867. In 1875, located in Wichita Township on the southwest quarter of Section 26. Her husband, J. H. Sturns, died in 1881. She was married in September, 1882, to J. B. Clark. Sold the farm in October, 1882, with the intention of going to Pomona, Los Angeles County, Cal.
REV. JACOB SHERRIL CHAMBERLAIN, Episcopal clergyman, son of Sylvester and Hannah Miller Chamberlain, was born in 1820, at Buffalo, N. Y. In 1847, he married Mary Chase, of Robin's Nest, Peoria Co., Ill. From this marriage there are six children, viz.; Sherril, Philander Chase, Ernest, Ruth, Grace and Mary. His wife is the only daughter of Rt. Rev. Philander Chase, First Bishop (Protestant Episcopal) of Illinois. He graduated at Jubilee College, in class of 1847, was ordained the same year by Bishop Chase and immediately entered upon pastoral work. He was missionary in Peoria, Tazewell and Woodford counties until 1852, when he become Missionary Rector of "St. Anthony Falls Church Mission." Minnesota, in which position he remained eleven years. In 1865, he returned to Peoria County, Ill., and became Itinerant Missionary of "Robin's Nest Church Mission," continuing to carry on that mission until 1882, when he became Rector of St. John's Church, Wichita, Kan., in which position he is now. During his ministry he has built seven churches in Illinois, and thirteen in Minnesota, and is now engaged in the building of another in Midlothian, Kan. He also founded St. Mary's School for Girls, at Knoxville, Ill.
D. J. CHATFIELD, hardware merchant was born in Lenawee County, Mich., in 1843. son of Lyman Chatfield and Elizabeth Hoag Chatfield. Married in 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Meeker. They have six children - Mary O., George A., Luetta J., Hannah, Ellen and Josiah. Came to Kansas in 1872, located at Oskaloosa; was engaged in painting for two years, then moved to Winchester and engaged as salesman for one year, and one year in the grocery business. In 1876, moved to Wichita, engaged as salesman for two years. In 1878, commenced in the hardware business, located at No. 60 Douglas avenue. Owns residence on Fourth avenue between First and Second streets. Business increased 100 per cent. since its establishment. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861, in the first Regiment Michigan Volunteers Company K. Was in the battle of the first Bull Run: was present at the taking down of the rebel flag by Ellsworth's Zouaves on the Marshall House in Alexandria, Va. Was mustered out in 1861. November, 1861, he enlisted in the First United States Lancers; that regiment was disbanded in April, 1862. Enlisted in the Third Cavalry in the field, Company C. Was in the battles of Corinth, Iuka, Rienza, and other engagements of his command. Was in the Siege of Mobile at the close of the war. His regiment was Gen. Canby's body guard, and received Gen. Dick Taylor's surrender twelve miles from Mobile. The Third Cavalry Regiment was brigaded and connected with the Seventh Kansas Cavalry for two years, and was with them in a number of battles and skirmishes. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HUBERT CHILD, upholsterer and furniture dealer, came to Kansas in 1870, locating at Hillsdale, Miami County; lived there for three years, and was agent of the Ft. Scott & Gulf R. R. In 1873 he removed to Wichita, and was bookkeeper and collecting agent for several years. In 1881 he commenced his present business. He was born in Hereford, Herefordshire, England, in 1835. His father's name was Matthew Child; his mother's maiden name, Isabella Munro, daughter of John Munro, Laird of Dulness, Inverness, Scotland. Was married in 1876, to Miss Nellie Stice, and has two children, Ada B. and Hubert M. He was in the United States Telegraph Department during the latter years of the war, was repairer under C. O. Rowe, Superintendent of the Telegraph Department for West Virginia. His father, Matthew Child, was for many years Collector of Customs at Port Stanley, Canada West, and died in 1860.
J. L. COOPER, proprietor Oriental livery stable, was born in South Bend, Ind., in 1847; son of John Cooper and Charlotte Heckman Cooper. He married, in 1879, Miss Lizzie Blood, came to Kansas in 1870 and located near Wichita, on a farm, and engaged in farming for three years; then engaged in the stock business from 1873 to 1878. He was elected Constable of Wichita in 1879, and re-elected in 1880 and 1881, and in 1882 purchased the Oriental livery business, which was established in 1875, located north side of Douglas Avenue. He is a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 93, I. O. O. F.; also of Encampment No. 29; built the first house in Sumner County in which a floor was laid and dug the first well in Minneha Township.
W. U. COX, dealer in hides, pelts and wool, born in Scioto, Ohio, in 1824, son of Henry Cox and Luvica Utt Cox. Married, in 1852, Miss Sophena A. Hull. They have three children, Lillie B., Rosa M., and Willie H. He came to Kansas in 1869, and located at Topeka; in 1872 removed to Wichita and engaged in farming and gardening until 1878, when he engaged in dealing in hides, pelts and wool business located at No. 73 Douglas avenue. During the War of the Rebellion he was engaged for two years buying horses for the Government.
A. J. COOK, farmer, P. O. Wichita, was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1819; son of James Cook and Lucy Tolman Cook. He married, in 1846, Miss Ann E. Stephens, and has six children, Helen, Robert S., Emma, William S., Nathan C. and Samuel. He came to Kansas in 1869 and located in Wichita Township, in 1870, on southwest quarter of Section 14, two miles from Wichita; has resided on his farm since and has been engaged in farming; implement business and stock raising. He enlisted in the militia service in New York State, in 1836, during the Patriot War was under Gen. Scott, and was mustered out of the service the same year. He enlisted in the Home Guards, in Missouri, in 1863, and was mustered out in 1864; is patentee of a dredging machine, a channel boat for dredging the Western rivers (patent issued in 1880); has other important inventions in process, among others, one for connecting and moving railroad trains with telegraph; also invented and patented in 1845-46, the first automatic self-rake reaper; in 1852 invented the first harvester ever put into the field, and the same year invented the steel-plated guard, which has been in use from that time to the present on all mowing machines. Mrs. Cook was the daughter of Robert E. Stephens and Rhoda W. Cory, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio.
ROBERT S. COOK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Wichita, was born in Ohio in 1849; son of A. J. Cook and Ann E. (Stephens) Cook. Married in 1875, Miss Carrie Copeland, and has two children - Charles E. and Blanch. Mr. Cook came to Kansas in 1869, located on a farm in Wichita Township, in 1870; owns the southeast quarter of Section 14, where he now resides; farm under a high state of cultivation, fine stock of cattle, three miles east of Wichita.
RUFUS CONE, grocer, member of the firm of Ratliff & Cone, was born in Illinois in 1853, son of Lucius Cone and Amanda (Woolsey) Cone. He married in 1878, Miss Ella Center, and has two children - Edwin and Otis. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Wichita. Was engaged as a salesman for three years. In 1881, he formed a partnership with J. A. Ratliff, and commenced the grocery business, and located at 113 Douglas avenue; business has increased seventy per cent., since its establishment. He owns a residence on South Main street. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. Lodge, No. 22.
HARRY CROSKEY, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Philadelphia, in 1848, son of Henry and Ann (Donahue) Croskey. Was married in 1867, to Miss Jennie Quigley, daughter of Cline and Agnes (Thompson) Quigley. Has four children - Henry, Agnes, Ann and Charles. Dr. Croskey was educated in the Lewisburgh University, in 1866. In 1867, commenced the study of medicine, graduated at the Hahnemann Medical College in 1878; commenced the practice of medicine in 1869, in Philadelphia. Came to Kansas in 1878, located at Wichita, and engaged in practice. Office at his residence, No. 81 North Topeka avenue. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the K. of H., Wichita Lodge. No. 528; is examining surgeon for the order.
FRANK CROLL, carriagemaker, was born in Pennsylvania in 1841, son of John Croll and Maria (Bain) Croll. He married in 1875, Miss Mary DeLukey; came to Kansas in 1874, and located at Wichita; commenced in the business of carriagemaking, and has been engaged in the same until the present; he was in the War of the Rebellion, and was in the Seventy-eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company B; was in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out in 1864. He is a member of the G. A. R. Post, No. 139.
L. W. CROUCH was born in Warsaw, Ind., April 9, 1848, and resided there until he came to Kansas. He attended the Methodist College at Fort Wayne, Ind., and read law with his uncle, Harrison McNeil, at Indianola, Iowa, where he was admitted to the bar, August 25, 1871. He was then engaged in the practice of law at Warsaw, until he came to Wichita, October 26, 1878. Since coming to Kansas, he has been engaged in the real estate and loan business, besides practicing his profession. Mr. Crouch is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the K. of P. He was married at Wichita, July 24, 1881, to Annie B. Elliot, a native of St. Joseph, Mo. They had one child - Eva, who died December 20, 1882.
FRANK DALE, attorney-at-law, was born in Somonauk, DeKalb Co., Ill., November 26, 1849, and resided in his native town until 1871, when he came to Kansas, where he read law and was admitted to the bar in 1880. His first location after coming to Kansas was in Greeley Township, Wichita County, where he was engaged in farming for seven years before coming to Wichita. He was the first Town Clerk in Greeley Township, and held that office during the entire period of his residence in that township. Mr. Dale is a member of the K. of P., and has been engaged in practice here since 1880.
JOHN DAVIDSON, lumber merchant, was born in Scotland, November 30, 1869. He came to America, July 29, 1868, and remained for a short time at Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked on the State Asylum until he left for Leavenworth, Kan., in September, 1868. He resided at Leavenworth through the winter, and in the spring of 1869 moved to Topeka, and remained in that city until he came to Wichita in January, 1870, being foreman of the carpenter work on the State House while in Topeka. He opened a lumber yard in Wichita, in May, 1870, but continued his business as contractor and builder until 1875. Mr. D. was married in Sumner County, September, 1874, to Ellen Paton, also a native of Scotland. Their two children are John Paton and Agnes Wilson.
JOSEPH DAVIDSON, firm of Bloss & Davidson, carriagemakers and blacksmiths, was born in Canada, in 1860; son of Alexander Davidson and Elizabeth (Tage) Davidson. Came to Kansas in 1878, located at Wichita. Is a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 93, I. O. O. D. George Bloss, firm of Bloss & Davidson, was born in Canada, in 1850; son of Frederick Bloss and Etta (Clenson) Bloss. Married, in 1877, to Miss Emma Bath, and came to Kansas in 1878. Business of the firm of Bloss & Davidson was established in 1878, located on the corner of Douglas avenue and Water street. Business increased 200 per cent since its establishment.
S. L. DAVIDSON was born in Ackworth, Cheshire Co., N. H., in 1814. In 1821 he moved to Allegany County, N. Y., and remained in that county until he came to Kansas, being engaged in farming and mercantile business during those years. He came to Wichita in March, 1872, removed his family to the place in the following October, and commenced money loaning business the same year. The present firm composed of S. L. & J. O. Davidson was organized in 1877. The business being especially in real estate loans in Kansas. Mr. D. was married in Ackworth, N. H., in 1839, to Sarah Lancaster, who died in 1844, leaving two children, Mary Jane and Sarah Ann, now Mrs. Levi A. Rogers, residing on the old farm in New York. Mr. D. married again in Cuba, N. Y., in 1846, Susan R. Hampton. The children by this union being James O., Alice, Charles L. and Jennie B.
J. O. DAVIDSON, president of the Citizens Bank, came to Wichita in April, 1872, and soon afterward engaged in mercantile business, which he continued two years, and subsequently became connected with his father in the loan business. He is a native of Cuba, Allegany Co., N. Y., and afterward lived both in Black Creek and Cuba, coming from the latter place to Kansas.
J. C. DEAN, president and manager of Zephyr Mills, was born in Boston, Mass., October 27, 1833. He engaged in wool commission business in that city, in which he was engaged until he moved to Chicago, in 1857. He remained in Peoria three years, and in 1861, went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and attended the Cincinnati Dental College, returning to Chicago after finishing his studies, where he practiced dentistry fourteen years, being at the same time engaged in steam engineering, for a year and a half, as superintendent of steam department of Crane Bros.' immense establishment. He was also interested in the foundry and machine shops of Preble, Dean & Co., continuing in the business until 1873. He came to Kansas in April, 1876, located at Wichita, and purchased a farm in Kechi Township, practicing dentistry the first year of his residence in Wichita, and moving on to his farm northwest of Section 15, Township 26, Range 1 east, where he remained until the fall of 1882. Mr. Dean had a grist mill on his farm, where he did custom work, and was also engaged in selling agricultural implements. He now has charge of Zephyr Mills, Wichita. He was married at Hudson, Ohio, March, 1863, to Elizabeth Adams, a native of Massachusetts. Their three children are William G., Bessie, and Margie.
C. F. DERBY, dealer in farm implements, was born in Minersville, Pa., in 1842, son of John and Antoinette Blanch Derby. He married in 1873, Miss Kate Dietrick, daughter of George H. and Mary Evens Dietrick. They have two children - George and Frank Derby. He came to Kansas in 1871 and located on a farm in Delano Township, Sedgwick County. In 1872 he returned to Pennsylvania and took the superintendency of the Susquehanna Coal Works of the Pa. R. R Co. Remained in that position for six years, and in 1878 returned to Kansas, located on his farm, and remained two years, then removed to Wichita and engaged in bookkeeping for J. A. Wallace's implement house, and remained two years. In 1882 he purchased the agricultural implement business of Smith & Keating, located at Nos. 130 and 132 Douglas avenue, and is now engaged in that business under the firm name of C. F. Derby & Co. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1861 in the Fifty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers as musician: was at the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, and other engagements of his command. He was mustered out in 1862, and assisted in recruiting. Recruited a company in 1864 for the Pennsylvania State Militia Thirtieth Regiment at the time of Gen. Lee's invasion of the State. He is a member of the Knights Templar Lodge, No. 45: is a member of Garfield Post. No. 25, G. A. R.; is vice-commander of the post. Owns a farm of 240 acres in Delano Township, and a residence on Topeka avenue.
J. F. DONALD, dry goods, born in Cohoes, N. Y., in 1857, son of James Donald and Susan (Ferguson) Donald. Came to Kansas in 1877, located at Atchison; came to Wichita in 1881, located business at No. 31 Main street. Dry goods business increased 400 per cent since its establishment. Is a member of the firm of Donald Bros. at Atchison, wholesale and retail dry goods house. Has an extensive business at that place.
EDGAR A. DORSEY, was born near Harmony, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., April 3, 1851. He lived in his native town three years, and then with his parents removed to Vermont, who, after remaining two years in that State, again removed to Page County, Iowa. April 6, 1866, Edgar A. removed to Jersey Co., Ill., and in the fall of 1869 to Montgomery County, where he resided until he came to Kansas in June, 1872, reaching Wichita on the 10th. During June he pre-empted and settled on northeast of Section 32, Township 26, Range 2, west, Osage Indian Lands, and remained on this farm until December 1, 1875, when he moved onto southeast of Section 20, Township 26, Range 2 west, where he lived until he removed to Wichita, January, 1878, having been elected County Clerk in November, 1877. While a resident of Union Township he was Town Trustee one term, and member of School Board. He is a member of K. of P., No. 440, and of I. O. O. F., Wichita Lodge, No. 93. He was married in Wichita, February 17, 1874, to Helen A. Avery, a native of Geneseo, N. Y. They have three children - Eleanor Loy, Margaret and Katie.
Dr. W. L. DOYLE, dentist, settled in Wichita in October, 1872, and has practiced dentistry continuously since, being the only member of the profession within a radius of forty miles of Wichita, for the space of five years. He was born in Clinton, La., August 17, 1837. He commenced the practice of dentistry in Greenville, Miss., in 1869, removed from there to Glasgow, Mo., the same year, where he remained till 1872, when he came to Wichita, Kas. He was married at Petersburg, Va., in 1864, to Miss Mattie R. Heath of Sussex County. The doctor is a member of I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment.
H. C. DRAVES, restaurant, oyster and ice cream parlors, was born in Germany, in 1848, and is a son of Wm. Draves and Minnie Jaunow. He was married in 1873, at Ripon, Wis., to Miss Elizabeth Keller. They have three children - Alice, Lizzie and Charles. Came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Wichita, commenced business the same year. He located at No. 28 Douglas avenue, and his business has increased 300 per cent since its establishment. He owns the building in which business is located. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Lodge No. 22.
C. S. EICHHOLTZ, farmer and breeder of Short-horn cattle and Poland-China hogs, P. O. Wichita, was born in Pennsylvania in 1837, son of Henry Eichholtz and Angeline (Christman) Eichholtz. He married, in 1864, Miss Jennie Updegraff, daughter of Isaac and Mary Updegraff, natives of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Harry S., Levi B., Wilber and Idelette Pearl. He came to Kansas in 1870, to Wichita Township, and in 1878 located on the northeast quarter of Section 34, three miles southeast of Wichita. Was in the war of the rebellion, enlisted in 1861 in the Ninety-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, Company D. Was in the battle of Franklin, Tenn., Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Resaca, Dayton, Ringgold, Rome, Atlanta, Altoona Pass, Brownsville, Marietta, Macon, Havana, Aiken, Goldsboro, and other engagements of his command. Was mustered out in 1864. He has been Councilman of the city of Polo, Ill., for two years. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was president of the Arkansas Valley Agricultural Society in 1880-81, and is now secretary of the same. He makes a specialty of Short-horn cattle and Poland-China thoroughbred hogs.
Rev. WARREN J. ELLIOTT, clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Owensboro, Ky., in 1847. He is the son of David and Philisany Elliott, who were natives of Kentucky. He was married in 1868, to Miss Miranda E. Pinkston. His wife died in January, 1870, and in 1874 he was again married to Miss Caroline E. Green, daughter of J. C. Green, of Mayfield, Ky. Has one child living - James Ulysses Elliott, and one, Jessie D. Elliott, dead. He was educated in Owensboro, Ky. Commenced the ministry in 1872 and remained five years in the Kentucky Conference, and was then transferred by Bishop Bowman to the South Kansas Conference in 1876; and stationed in Chanute, Kas. He has since served Harrisonville charge three years, Rolling Green one year, and his present charge, East Wichita, two years. Has been instrumental in building three churches. He enlisted in the War of Rebellion in 1861, in the Twenty-fifth Regiment Kentucky Volunteers; was consolidated with the Seventeenth Regiment Kentucky Volunteers in 1862. He was discharged on account of disability in 1862. Re-enlisted in Company D, Thirty-fifth Kentucky in 1863. He was in all the engagements of the command. The heaviest battles were those of Fort Donelson and Pittsburg Landing. While in the Thirty-fifth Kentucky, his regiment was detached, in 1864, to fight bushwhackers in Kentucky; and Company D was detached for special services in Southwestern Kentucky. During that campaign, for forty-four days and nights with the exception of one night, all the sleep the men got was in the saddle, and in line of march. At one time during that period they were three days and nights without food; and there was scarcely a day during the whole time that they did not have a skirmish with the rebels.
JOHN EXTON, grain elevator and hay baler, was born in New Castle County, Del., in 1837, and is the son of John Exton and Julia M. (Smith) Exton. Married, in 1872, Miss Anna Harrington. They have two children - Florence L. and Joseph. Came to Kansas in 1869, was manager of a contract on the Missouri, Kansas & Topeka Railroad. In 1870 located at Wichita and engaged as dealer in coal, building material and grain; has continued in the same from that time. Built the Exton Elevator in 1876. In 1880 commenced hay baling in connection with other business. Increase of business since its establishment has been fifty per cent. The capacity of hay press is sixty tons per week. Hay shipped West. Business located on side track east of Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Freight Depot and west of Fort Scott & Wichita Freight Depot. Mr. Exton was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted, in 1861, in the Second Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, Company H., and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor and in front of Washington. He was commissioned in 1863 Second Lieutenant and in 1864, Captain. Re-commissioned Lieutenant in the Invalid Corps in 1864 and commissioned Captain in the United States Veteran Corps in the spring of 1865. Was mustered out of service in May, 1866. He was wounded three times in front of Petersburgh. In 1874-75 had charge of, received and forwarded all supplies for the Military and Indian Departments in the Indian nation. Is a member of the Episcopal Church.