|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ABBETT - BUTLER).
REV. H. WINSLOW ABBETT, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in Marion County, Ky., in 1839, son of William McDowell and Margaret Winslow Abbett. He married in 1864, Miss Lizzie West. They have three children - Minnie, Harry and Stewart. His wife is the daughter of Elijah and Maria (Smoot) West. He was educated at Dickinson College, Carlisie, Pa.; graduating in the Class of 1860, commenced the ministry in 1861. United with the Kentucky Conference Church South and remained in that connection until 1878. He was for four years in pastoral work, was then elected Professor of Languages at the High School at Carrolton, Ky., and remained one year, was then elected to the Professorship of Ancient Languages at Wesleyan College, at Millersburg, Ky.; remained in that position for five years, after which spent five years in pastoral work, then took the Presidency of the Carroll High School, and held the position two years; after spending two more years in pastoral work, accepted the Presidency of the Female College at Millersburg, Ky., remained for three years. In 1877, he removed to Kansas, located in Wichita, took the Presidency of the Southern Kansas Institute, held that position for two years and for the last four years has devoted himself to pastoral labor. Is the author of the first sermon in the book entitled "Pulpit of the Kentucky Conference," from the text, "Give me neither Poverty nor Riches."
C. L. ADAMS, proprietor marble works, was born in West Virginia, in 1856, father J. M. Adams, mother, Anna McClintock. He married in 1880, Miss Mamie Burson. They have one child, Gracie E. Adams. His wife's parentage, Harvey Burson and Elizabeth Martin. He came to Kansas in 1876, and located at Wichita, started the first marble works in the Arkansas Valley, north of the Indian Territory line and west of Topeka. He is a member of the firm of Kimmerie & Adams. They own the building in which business is located, No. 60 Main street, and also owns marble works at Newton. Business in 1877 amounted to $4,000; in 1882, $12,000.
B. W. ALDRICH, druggist firm of Aldrich & Brown, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich., 1846, son of B. W. Aldrich and Mary (Weed) Aldrich. He married in 1874, to Miss Anna E. Stone, of Wichita. Came to Kansas in 1870, located at Wichita. Commenced the drug business the same year under firm name of Aldrich & Simons, continued until 1882, when it was changed to Aldrich & Brown. Enlisted in 1864 in the Thirtieth Regiment, Michigan Volunteers; was rejected on account of disability. Was appointed Deputy Postmaster at Wichita, in 1870. Is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Warwick Lodge, No. 44, also a member of the Knights of Honor, No. 528. A member of City Council from 1876 to 1878.
ALDRICH & BROWN, druggists, located No. 36 Main street, Wichita. Own the building in which business is located. Business increased 500 per cent since its establishment.
BENNETT D. ALLEN, salesman, was born in Kentucky and raised in Missouri, son of Noah and Abigail DeWitt Allen. He was married in 1867, to Miss C. A. Howard, daughter of Osgood and Sarah A. Howard. He came to Kansas in 1868, and located in Allen County, engaged in farming for five years, then removed to Iola and engaged in the grocery business. In 1875, was proprietor of the Leland House in Iola. He came to Wichita, in 1876, engaged in the stock business. In 1877 accepted a position as salesman and collector for Smith & Keating, farm implement house; continued with them for five years, when they sold their business to C. F. Derby & Co., and has been in the employ of that firm since that time. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1861, in the State Militia of Missouri. Received a commission as First Lieutenant, in 1862, and held that commission during the State Service. In 1863, he enlisted in the United States Service in the Eleventh Regiment, Missouri Volunteers, Company M. Received a commission as Second Lieutenant in 1864. Received a commission as First Lieutenant in 1865. He was in all the battles of his command, and was mustered out at the close of the war, in 1865. He then engaged as agent for the State Insurance Company until coming to Kansas in 1868. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and owns a farm of 160 acres in Afton Township in Sedgwick County.
C. H. ALLEN, harnessmaker and saddler, came to Kansas in 1858, located at Leavenworth, was born in Somerset, Pa. Is the son of Hugh and Martha (Wood) Allen. Was married at Leavenworth in 1862, to Miss Anna Glassbrook. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Wichita Lodge, No. 93, also Treasurer of Wichita Encampment No. 29, I. O. O. F. Business located No. 127 Douglas Avenue; amount of business in 1874, $7,000; has increased to $10,000 in 1882. In 1860 was conductor of U. S. Mail service from Independence, Mo. to Santa Fe, N. M. Is a member of Old Settlers Association.
EDWIN B. ALLEN, M. D., first Mayor of Wichita, is a native of Ohio, he was born near Oberlin, Lorain County, March 7, 1836, and lived in Ohio and Indiana until he was 16 years of age, when he located near Newton, Jasper County, Iowa, and remained until 1861, he then removed to Butler County, Iowa, where he engaged in the practice of medicine until 1865 at which time he emigrated to Kansas. His first location in this State was in Wabaunsee County, whence he came to Wichita, August 7, 1869 and filed a claim on west of Section 28, Town 27, Range 1 east. He commenced practice immediately and removed his family in March, 1870. The following month he was elected Coroner and served two terms. He also served two terms in succession as Mayor of Wichita, being the first Mayor of the city. In the fall of 1872, he was elected a member of the State Legislature, re-elected in 1874, and again to the Legislature in 1882. He has for the past seven or eight years taken partial charge of his farm near the city. He is now serving his second term as treasurer of South Kansas Medical Society and is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and American, Legion of Honor. He was married near Greencastle, Jasper Co., Iowa, May 25, 1857, to Eliza Sewell, a native of Indiana, who, died March 30, 1858, leaving one child, Eliza D., now Mrs. Luther Becktell, of Harlan, Iowa. On May 23, 1861, Dr. Allen married at Greencastle, Iowa, Mary J. Garrison, a native of Indiana. They have three children living - Charles C., Edith E., and Edgar P., one of their children died in infancy.
J. M. ALLEN, grocer, of the firm of Allen & Tucker, was born in Union County, Ind., in 1840, son of John Allen and Martha (Elliot) Allen. He was married in 1876 to Miss Martha Lybrook, daughter of William and Elizabeth Lybrook, of Preble County, Ohio. They have three children - Jessie, Roland and Cecil. He came to Kansas in 1870 and located at Wichita in 1871; he engaged in the flour and feed business. In the fall of 1871, he formed a partnership with W. R. Tucker, and engaged in the grocery business. After one year Mr. Tucker retired from the firm, the business was then carried on under the firm name of Allen & McKillip for one year. In 1873 he commenced business and continued until 1875, when he again formed a partnership with W. R. Tucker, and built a store now occupied by the firm, No. 96 New York block, on Douglas avenue. Business has increased 200 per cent, since 1875. Was in the war of the Rebellion and enlisted in 1863 in the Ninth Indiana Cavalry, Company D.; was in the hospital one year, and was mustered out in 1865. He is a member of Wichita Lodge No. 93, I. O. O. F., and of Warwick Lodge K. of P. No. 54. He is a member of the Wichita City Council and has served in that capacity four years.
JOSEPH P. ALLEN, druggist, was born in Elkhart County, Ind., in 1838; son of William M. Allen and Sophronia (Meeker) Allen, natives of New York. He married in 1869, Miss Mary E. Tatman. They have two children - Roy E., and Bessie L. He came to Kansas in 1861, and located at Leavenworth. He engaged in selling drugs, and removed to Wichita in 1870, established the drug business, and has continued the same since that time. Business located at No. 92 Douglas avenue. The increase of business since its establishment has been 250 per cent. The business house of J. P. Allen is the oldest one now in the city. He enlisted in the War of the rebellion in 1861, in the Eighth Iowa Volunteers, Company K. Was in the service three years, and was mustered out in 1864. He is a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 99, A., F. & A. M., and of Wichita Chapter, No. 33, and of the Mount Olivet Commandery, No. 12. He is a member of the Garfield Post, G. A. R. No. 25. Is a member of the City Council of Wichita. The first child born in Wichita was Frank H. Allen, born July 3, 1870, and son of J. P. And Mary E. Allen.
JESSE A. ASK, upholsterer and cabinet maker, came to Kansas from Ohio, March, 1877, and located at Wichita. He was born in Cazenovla, Madison Co., N. Y., in 1844. He is the son of Justus and Susan Albertson Ask. He was married in 1872 to Rebecca Perdue. Has three children by his first wife - George, Dolly and Gerald. He was married a second time to Miss Kate Stice, in 1882. Served in the War of the Rebellion, enlisting August, 10,1862, in Company H, One Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was engaged in the Morgan and Hood raids, and other important services. Was mustered out at close of war in 1865. During the Morgan raid he was detached from his company and sent to Gen. Burnside's Headquarters, at Cincinnati, as Mounted Orderly, afterwards to Headquarters Department of Ohio, where he served in the same capacity for six months. He is Adjutant of the Second Regiment Kansas State Militia; was commissioned February, 1880. He is also one of the charter members of Garfield Post, No. 25, G. A. R.
JACOB M. BALDERSTON was born in Colerain, Belmont Co., Ohio, January 16, 1842. In 1855 he removed to Magnolia, Putnam Co , Ill., from whence he entered the army July 3, 1861, enlisting in Company A, First Illinois Cavalry, in which regiment he served until July 14, 1862. September 8, 1862, he re-enlisted in Company C, Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry, and was mustered out July 31, 1865, as Captain of his company. He then returned to Magnolia, Ill., and attended the Seminary at Winona, that State, and the Wesleyan University. at Bloomington; afterward teaching school in Illinois. He read law with Weldon & McNulta, at Bloomington, and was admitted to the bar December 10, 1869, remaining in the law office of the firm, with whom he read until nearly a year later. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Wichita April, 1872, and has been engaged in the practice of law in that city since his location. Mr. B was taken prisoner at Lexington, Mo., September 20, 1861, and paroled soon after; again taken prisoner near Nashville, Tenn., December 17, 1864, escaping four and a half days later. He was wounded in Georgia, August 2, 1864, receiving pistol shots in leg and wrist.
MILZAR P. BARNES, druggist, of the firm of M. P. Barnes & Sons, was born in 1824, in Camden, N. Y. Is the son of Tillotson Barnes and Clarissa Byington Barnes. He married, in 1849, Miss Susan D. Whitman. They have three children - Ada F., Oscar D. and Nettie I. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Wichita Lodge, No. 99, A., F. & A. M., and of Chapter No. 33. He came to Kansas in 1878. O. D. Barnes, of the firm of M. P. Barnes & Son, commenced in the drug business in Wichita in 1879. Business located at No. 100 Douglas avenue. It has increased 50 per cent. since its establishment; they own the building where business is located. He is a member of Wichita Lodge No. 99, A., F. & A. M., Chapter No. 33. and Mount Olivet Commandery No. 12, K. T.
A. BASLEY, firm of Basley & Leverage, livery and sale stable, was born in England, in 1842, Son of James and Mary Basley, Married, in 1875, to Miss Julia Ralph. They have two children - Charles and Lottie. His wife died in 1881. Came to Kansas in 1867; located at Manhattan and engaged in blacksmithing; remained until 1870, then located at Wichita in 1871; engaged in livery and feed business. In 1880 formed a partnership with J. M. Leverage. Is a member of Masonic fraternity, Wichita Lodge No. 99, and of Chapter No. 33.
BENJAMIN L. BEAR, was born in Plainfield, Cumberland Co., Pa., July 3, 1853. and reared from the age of one year in Decatur, Ill., to which place his parents removed, He commenced the drug business at Decatur and continued it for two years before he removed to Wichita, September 13, 1872, where he has since resided. After locating at Wichita, Mr. Bear carried on farming until October 21, 1874, when he became a resident of the city and engaged in the drug business, being associated with J. P. Allen from April, 1875, to September, 1878. L. N. Woodcock then became his partner, and so continued until the spring of 1880, when they sold the drug store, and Mr. Bear entered the store of J. P. Allen as prescription clerk, remaining in that position until February 1881, and from the latter date until January 1, 1882, being in the law office of Judge Little. Since January 10, 1882, he has been Deputy Register of Deeds of Sedgwick County, Kansas. He was married at Bainbridge, Putnam Co., Ind , December 25, 1877, to Mary Etta Fraker, a native of that place, by whom he has one child - Ethel Gracie. Mr. Bear is now engaged in poultry breeding, and shipping Mahogany Partidge Cochins exclusively.
JOHN W. BEAR, civil engineer and surveyor, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., in 1830. Son of Israel Bear and Eliza Stoy Bear. Married, in 1851, to Miss Mary Longnecker; has four children - Benj. L., Elizabeth, G. W. and Grace. Came to Kansas in 1872, located at Wichita, engaged in real estate and insurance and continued it two years. He was appointed engineer and surveyor of Wichita and served in that capacity three years. Has been engaged in the business of engineer and surveyor, since. Was in the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in 1862 in the Sixty-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company I; was elected Captain of his company, receiving commission in June, 1862. Regiment ordered to Washington, paroled at Alexandria during the second Bull Run, and was mustered out in September, 1862. He was elected Sheriff of Macon County, Ill., held the office for two years; appointed a Deputy in 1864, and recruited a company for the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteers; was elected Major of his regiment, receiving commission in June, 1864. He was sent from Camp Butler to Missouri to watch the movements of Gen. Price; was mustered out in October, 1864. He was appointed Deputy United States Marshal for the Southern District of Illinois and served in that office two years. In 1866 was appointed Internal Revenue Collector for the counties of Macon, Fayette and Moultrie; was also Marshal for the city of Decatur, Ill., in 1866; was Alderman of the city of Decatur in 1860 and Tax Collector from 1862 to 1865. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, Wichita Lodge No. 528. Is a member of the Garfield Post of the G. A. R., No. 25.
C. F. BENFORD, tailor, was born in Somerset County, Penn., in 1826, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Lynk) Benford. Our subject learned the tailor's trade in 1840 to 1844, which trade he steadily followed up to 1861, when he enlisted in the army, where he remained until 1865, when he resigned and came home. Commenced merchant tailoring in 1870. He came to Wichita, Kan., in 1882, and is engaged in the tailoring business on Douglas avenue. His army record is as follows: He belonged to the army of the Cumberland Thirtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and was in all the principal engagements of that command from 1861 to 1865. He was wounded at Shiloh on the 7th of April, 1862, also at Resaca, Ga., May 15, 1864, and again near Atlanta, Ga., the morning of August 20, 1864. He never was reprimanded on or off duty by his superior officers for neglect of duty; never was absent from his command at the stacking of arms on the march or otherwise, except when wounded or sick. Mr. Benford has been married three times and has four living children, one child by his first wife and three by his second.
R. J. BIGGS, of Biggs & Renshaw, millers, was born in Ohio in 1842, and is the son of Robert P. and Mary Smith Biggs. Was married, in 1873, to Miss Ellen Calaway, daughter of Geo. and Elizabeth Calaway; he has one child, Harry P. Mr. Biggs came to Kansas in 1879, located at Wichita and engaged as engineer for one year, then in hay pressing and thrashing. In 1882 he started feed mill at No. 34 Douglas avenue, in the firm of Stencer, Biggs & Hodson, January, 1883, Stencer and Hodson sold their interest to A. U. Renshaw, the business is now conducted by Biggs & Renshaw. Their mill is steam power, with a capacity of 300 to 400 bushels per day; also a hominy mill with a capacity of 1,000 to 1,500 pounds per day, the only hominy mill in Southern Kansas. He was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisting, in 1862, in the Seventy-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company I; was at the siege of Vicksburg, on the Texas expedition and at the siege and capture of Fort Morgan; was brevetted Captain of his company in June, 1864, and served in that capacity until the close of the war; was mustered out in July, 1865. Is a member of the Garfield Post, No. 25, G. A. R.
JACOB BISSANTZ, hardware merchant, was born in Germany in 1846; son of Adolph Bissantz, and Elizabeth Herold Bissantz. He married in 1869 Miss Albertin Kamerer, and has four children - Emily, Lena, Albertin and Robert Bissantz. He came to Kansas in 1872, and located at Wichita, and engaged in the restaurant business for three years. In 1875 he commenced in the hardware business. He was in partnership with H. R. Butler for five years. In 1880 he divided the stock and has since been alone in the business. He owns the building where his business is now located, No. 107 Douglas avenue. 'Business has increased 100 per cent since its establishment. He is a member of the K. of H. Wichita Lodge, No. 582, and of Warwick Lodge, No. 54, K. of P., and of the Wichita Turn Verein. He owns five lots and a residence on the corner of Second and Market streets.
HORACE G. BLOOM, farmer, P. O. Wichita, born in Ohio, Preble County, in 1853, son of Guy Bloom, and Frances Jameson Bloom. He married in 1867 Miss Ella Kreider. He came to Kansas in 1882, purchased farm of 160 acres in Wichita Township, in Section 22, two miles east of Wichita. He is engaged in general farming and a dealer in thoroughbred Poland-China hogs.
J. T. BLOOMER, member of the firm of W. J. Bloomer & Bro., grocers; was born in Tennessee in 1849, son of W. J. Bloomer and Margaret Merritt Bloomer. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Wichita. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, Lodge No. 528.
W. J. BLOOMER, member of the firm of W. J. Bloomer & Bro., grocers. Was born in Tennessee in 1856; son of W. J. Bloomer and Margaret Merritt Bloomer. He came to Kansas in 1878 and located at Wichita. In 1878 he commenced business under the firm name of W. J. Bloomer & Bro., in the grocery and provision business, located at No. 80 Main street. Business increased 500 per cent since its establishment. They own the building in which their business is located.
A. C. BROKAW, lumber dealer, of the Arkansas River Lumber Company. Born in Ohio in 1847. Son of John Brokaw and Margaret Morris Brokaw. He married in 1874 Miss Juliette Kennedy, and has one child, Mamie A. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located at Anthony. Harper County, and engaged in stock dealing. In 1880 he located at Wichita, and from that time has been engaged in the lumber business under the firm name of Yark, Brokaw & Tucker, now the Arkansas River Lumber Company. The company own three mills in Washington and Crawford counties, Ark. Started the lumber business in Wichita in 1882. Located on Douglas avenue, south side, near iron bridge; own five lots, occupied as lumber yard. The business of the firm at Wichita is under the management of A. C. Brokaw. He is a member of the Belton Lodge, No. 450.
THOMAS J. BROOK, salesman for M. A. Sayles, farm implements. He was born in Canada West in 1822; son of Samuel and Anna Ray Brook. He married in 1849 Miss Caroline Thacher, daughter of Simeon and Elizabeth Thacher, and four children. Mr. Brook came to Kansas in 1879 an located at Wichita and has been engaged as a salesman for agricultural implements. He was formerly a contractor and builder.
B. K. BROWN, auction and commission merchant, came to Kansas in 1872; located at Wichita. Was born in Fond du Lac, Wis., in 1845. Is the son of F. S. and Chloe (Eldred) Brown. Was married in 1874, in Wichita, to Miss Kate C. McCormick. They have two children - Nettie E. and Chloe. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, commenced business in Wichita in 1872; business located at 123 and 125 Douglas avenue; owns building in which business is conducted. Business increased four fold from 1872 to 1882.
J. H. BROWN, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Wichita, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1830; son of Michael Brown and Mary (Folmer) Brown. He married in 1853 Miss Mary A. Hilbish, daughter of Col. Jacob and Hannah Hilbish, of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Adda L., Edward H., Emma J. and Annie M. He came to Kansas in 1877, and located on a farm two and a half miles east of Wichita, on Section 26, in Wichita Township, and owns the northeast quarter. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1863 in the Twenty-eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company F; was in the engagements of Oyster Point, Carlysle and Hagerstown. Was mustered out in 1863. Enlisted in 1864 in the Two Hundred and Second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company I. Received a commission as First Lieutenant. In September, 1864, was promoted to Acting Adjutant of his Regiment. Was mustered out in 1865. Is Justice of the Peace in Wichita Township; has held that position for two years. Was re-elected for two years more by a unanimous vote. Is a member of the Episcopal Church, of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R.
W. J. BROWN, druggist, firm of Aldrich & Brown, was born in Oxford, Ohio, in 1852, son of James Brown and Margaret (Colwell) Brown. Came to Kansas in 1882. Located at Wichita, and commenced business with B. W. Aldrich.
Z. S. BROWN, grocer and hardware merchant, was born in Mecklenburg County, N. C., in 1833; son of Josiah Brown and Sarah E. (Smith) Brown. He was married in 1878 to Miss May H. Matthews, daughter of E. T. and L. B. Matthews, and has two children - Harry and Maud. He came to Kansas in 1869 and located at Topeka and remained two years, engaged as book-keeper. In 1872 he located at Wichita and engaged in the grocery business on Maine street, and in October, 1872, moved to the corner of Douglas and Fifth avenues, where his business is now located. He owns the building, 22 x 80 feet. In 1877 he added hardware to his stock, and has since carried a line of groceries and hardware. He owns a residence on the corner of Fourth avenue and Second street.
A. T. BUCKERIDGE, of the firm of McGriff & Buckeridge. He was born in Canada West, in 1848; was raised in Michigan; son of William Buckeridge and Margaret M. (Clark) Buckeridge. He married, in 1874, Miss Rosa A. Lambe. They have three children - Florence R., Louise M., and William F. He came to Kansas in 1877 and located in Sedgwick County, on a farm. In 1881 he moved to Wichita and engaged in blacksmithing; formed a partnership with J. H. McGriff. Business is located on Douglas avenue, lot 5, English addition. The property where business is located is owned by the firm. He owns a residence, Nos. 64 and 66 Lawrence avenue. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Wichita Lodge No. 99, A., F. & A. M., and R. A. M., Chapter No. 33, A., F. & A. M.
L. B. BUNNELL, of the firm of Bunnell & Roys, located in Wichita in October, 1877, since which time he has been engaged in law and loan business, the former being almost exclusively devoted to the transaction of their own extensive loan and insurance business. The firm are agents for the A., T. & S. F. R. R. lands, and they have a complete set of abstracts of Sedgwick County. Their loans are made for Eastern capitalists on first mortgage real estate security, the business extending into other counties, where they have agents to attend to their interests Mr. Bunnell was born near Lebanon, Ohio, May 23, 1849. He moved to Indiana when a boy, and was educated in the schools of that State, and in the literary and law department of Indiana State University at Bloomington. He was married at Wichita, June 28, 1880, to Arabella E. West, a native of Illinois. They have one child, Luther Marc. Mr. Bunnell is connected with the Presbyterian Church at Wichita, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wichita Lodge, No. 93.
A. G. BURR, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Wichita, was born in Hampshire County, Mass., in 1834, son of Ames Burr and Relief (Eager) Burr. He was married in 1856, to Miss Lucy H. Bisbee, and has three children - Jennie, Nell, and Lucy. His wife died in 1866. He married again, in 1868, Miss Julia E. Allen, and has two children by the last marriage, Anna and Ames. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located at Topeka, remaining one year, and then located on a farm in Rockford, Sedgwick County. In 1882 he moved to Wichita Township. He was in the war of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861, in the Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteers, Company D; was elected First Lieutenant at the organization of his regiment, and received his commission in August, 1861. In April, 1862, was commissioned as Regiment Quartermaster. In 1862 commissioned Captain A. Q. R., and in 1865 was commissioned as Major; was in the battle of Shiloh; was wounded in 1863, near Holly Springs, Miss.; was on duty with Gens. Blair, McPherson and Howard, until the surrender, and afterward with Gen. C. B. Fisk, until December, 1865, when he was mustered out.
H. R. BUTLER, hardware merchant, was born in New York, in 1838, son of S. C. Butler and E. J. Toote Butler. He married in 1861, Miss Lois Oliver, daughter of Andrew and Amanda Oliver, and has three children - Elizabeth, Alice and Minnie. He came to Kansas in 1871, and located at Wichita, and engaged for three years as a tinsmith. In 1875 he formed a partnership with Jacob Bissantz in the hardware business, continued until 1880, when they divided the stock and he commenced business alone, at No. 23, Main street. After one year he removed to No. 94, Douglas avenue, where he is now located. His business has increased 100 per cent since 1875. He was Justice of the Peace for two years in Missouri. Is a member of the Board of Education; has served in that capacity for three years. He is a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 93, I. O. O. F., and of Encampment No. 29.