|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (MCCAMPBELL - PRESTON).
THOMAS McCAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Wichita, was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1818; is a son of William McCampbell and Elizabeth Orbison McCampbell. He married in 1844, Miss Eunice Willard, daughter of Enos and Abigail Willard, and has five children - Martha, Emma, George, Anna and William. He came to Kansas in 1883, located in Wichita Township, on Section 27 north, half of northwest quarter, one mile east of Wichita, and has remained since that time, and also owns the northeast quarter of Section 32, in Minneha Township. In sinking a shaft for coal on this property struck salt leaf; sunk the shaft 450 feet 6x10 feet. It now has 200 feet of salt water, which, by evaporation produces a fourth part of pure salt. He is a Spiritualist from investigation.
REV. T. J. McCAULL, Catholic clergyman, was born in Strausee, Weaktenshire, Scotland, in the year 1848, son of John McCaull and Margaret Roberts McCaull; was educated at Wheeling, W. Va., St. Vincent College; graduated in class 1875, was raised to the degree of priesthood in the same year at Leavenworth, Kan. His first pastorate was at Newman, Jefferson Co., Kan.; remained with that charge four years; was transferred to Wichita in 1879; has been in pastoral charge of the St. Aloysius Church from that time to the present; also has charge of the St. Henry's Church at Augusta and missions at Eldorado and Mulvane; built a church at Big Springs; was founder of the St. Aloysius School, at Wichita.
JAMES C. McCOMB, harnessmaker and saddler, came to Kansas in 1868, located at Wichita in 1870; was born in Allegheny, Pa., 1847; is the son of Thomas and Martha (De Arman) McComb; was married in 1875, to Miss Ida F. Neaves; has two children, Harry and Raymond; was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861, in Company G, Fifty-Third Indiana Volunteers, was in all the engagements of the command; was mustered out in 1865; is senior member of the firm of McComb Bros., harness and saddlery business, No. 105 Douglas avenue.
JOHN McCOMB, harness and saddlemaker, came to Wichita in 1872; was born in Steubenville, Ohio, in 1853. He is the son of Thomas and Martha (De Arman) McComb; commenced business in 1871, under the firm name of Smith & McComb Bros.; was succeeded in 1872 by McComb Bros. The firm has remained the same to the present time. The amount of business in 1872 was $22,000; in 1882 it had increased to $50,000. They own the building in which the business is conducted, No. 105 Douglas avenue.
W. H. McDANIEL, carriage manufacturing (firm, McDaniel & Perrin), born in Shelby County, Ill., in 1848; son of William McDaniel and Mary (Price) McDaniel. He married, in 1873, Miss Lizzie Tipton, and has two children, Bertie and Mabel; came to Kansas in 1882, located at Wichita; commenced in the carriage manufacturing business, increased 100 per cent., to 1883. Business located on the corner of Douglas avenue and Water street; employs twenty men in the business. In January, 1883, formed partnership with M. Perrin. The firm own Wood's patent buggy spring.
ROBERT McFARLAND, of the firm of McFarland & Son, proprietors of foundry and machine shop, Wichita, Kan., was born in New York City, in 1824. He is a son of Robert and Mrs. Elizabeth (Joulter) McFarland. In 1851 he was married in Cincinnati to Miss Olive Edwards. They have three sons - Robert, John G., and William. When the war of the Rebellion broke out he was living in Lexington, Mo., was a trusted volunteer under Col. Mulligan, whose command was recruited mainly in Chicago, and although incapacitated by ill health for regular military service, yet served as a volunteer until the end of the war, and, except four months, without pay. He was the foundryman who made shot for Mulligan's command, and assisted to use them on the Rebela. He was with Blunt, Deitzler, Harding, Pleasanton and other commands. After the war closed, in defiance of rebel sentiment and threats, Mrs. McFarland in the basement of her house in Lexington, opened and taught a negro school, Mr. McFarland defending her and her school with his guns for many months and until the rebel intention of preventing negro education was abandoned. The school was then turned over to its present management. In 1871 Mr. McFarland moved to Kansas and settled on a farm in Allen County. Here remained three and a half years, when he removed to Iola, Allen Co. In 1877, he located at Wichita, without capital, except an indomitable will. He is now the owner of a good foundry and machine shop, located on Wichita street, and is doing an extensive business. It is the only business of the kind in Wichita.
J. G. McFARLAND, of McFarland & Son, is a son of Robert and Olive McFarland, and was born in 1858. He came to Kansas in 1872, and is engaged in the Foundry and Machine Shop, with Robert McFarland, entering the firm in January 1883. He is a member of the Second Kansas Infantry. He was married in 1880, to Miss Cora B. Roush.
J. H. McGRIFF, firm of McGriff & Buckeridge, blacksmiths, was born in Ohio in 1833, son of Wm. McGriff and Elizabeth (Hale) McGriff. He married in 1856, Miss Frances Wilson, and has five children - Mary, Ida L., J. Homer, F. Loren and Allie; came to Kansas in 1875, located at Afton, Kan., on a farm in 1877, removed to Wichita, engaged in blacksmithing; in 1881 formed partnership with A. F. Buckeridge. Business located on Douglas avenue lot five Englisher addition. Property where business is located is owned by the firm - owns a residence No. 71 Lawrence avenue; in 1863-4 and 5 was employed by the United States in blacksmithing at Camp Nelson, Kentucky. Has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for ten years, is a member of the Masonic Fraternity A., F. & A. M.
ANDREW H. McKEE, of the firm McKee & Stewart, loan, real estate and insurance agent, came to Wichita in August, 1876, being also interested in farming and sheep raising. He was born in Hopewell Township, Washington Co., Pa., July 8, 1833, removing from Washington County to Bloomington, Ill., in 1867, and thence to Kansas in 1876. He was married in Ohio County, West Va., October 24, 1865, to Amanda McDonald.
WILLIAM MATHEWSON, farmer, born in Broome County, N. Y., in 1830, is the son of Joseph Mathewson and Eliza Stickney Mathewson. He came to what is now Kansas, in 1850, in the employ of the Northwestern Fur Company. In 1852 he engaged with William Bent and St. Varine at trading post on the Upper Arkansas Valley, trading with the Indians, and remaining in their employ until 1857, during a portion of the time he was engaged in trapping and hunting. In 1857 he located on the Little Arkansas at a point known as the Crossing, and built a trading post and remained one year. In 1858 built a trading post on Big Cow Creek. In 1860 built a trading post at Great Bend, and remained three years. In 1864 he returned to his Post at Big Cow Creek. The reason of this move was the threatened outbreak of the Indians. All the traders in that vicinity stored their goods at the Big Cow Creek Post, and went with their teams to the Missouri River, leaving William Mathewson with four men at the Post. One of them he sent to notify the stage stations, and settlers, leaving him with three men. They made a fortification of 200 sacks of corn on the top of the building. The attack was made with about 500 or 600 Indians, being well supplied with ammunition, they fought the Indians for three days, killing two chiefs and large number of warriors, and succeeded in holding this Post and saving his property, and then went to the assistance of a large train that was camped a few miles from his post, and surrounded by Indians. He rode into the camp under fire of the Indians and rallied the men and succeeded in routing the Indians and saving the train. In 1860, during the famine, incident to the drouth of that year, he commenced hunting buffalo for the starving settlers. He continued the hunt until February of 1861, with marked success, sending loads of meat far and near, wherever the destitute were found, earning for himself the title of "Buffalo Bill" of the plains, by which he was known in the early days of Kansas. He married in 1864, Miss Elizabeth Innman, of Fort Larned, daughter of Joseph Innman and Charlotte Crosbey Innman, and has one child, Lucy. He was employed by the United States Government as scout, and by the Interior Department in making treaties with the Indians at different times during his pioneer life. He was an Indian trader for twenty years, and in 1869 located at Wichita, on a farm, but spent most of his time, until 1875, in trading with the Indians. Since that time has been engaged in farming, has a fine farm one mile from the city of Wichita. Mrs. Mathewson is supposed to be the first white woman on the ground where Wichita now stands.
W. B. MEAD, dealer in musical instruments, came to Kansas in 1870. He is a native of Greenwich, Conn., was born in 1824, and is the son of Alvan and Eliza (Peck) Mead. He married, in 1856, Miss Sarah J. Sears. They have three children - Alvan E., Edgar S. and Mary P. On coming to Kansas, located at Augusta. Was in United States Land Office in charge of Contest Department. In February, 1872, the land office was moved to Wichita, at which time he removed to Wichita. In the summer of 1873 was appointed Deputy Postmaster, which position he held until 1875; then he engaged in merchandising. In the spring of 1877 commenced dealing in musical instruments. Business increased in 1882 thirty per cent. Business location, No. 23, Main street. Is a member of the "Wichita Council of the American Legion of Honor," No. 384; was a charter member.
C. R. MILLER, real estate and loan agent, located in Wichita in April, 1876, and engaged in wheat raising, breaking 3,000 acres of land the first ninety days he was in Kansas. Besides his real estate and loan business, in which he has been engaged since his settlement in the town, he is engaged in cattle breeding - Short-horn, and Norman horses. Mr. Miller is a native of Huntingdon, Huntingdon Co., Pa. He was bred in La Salle County, Ill., and prior to his removal to Kansas was a resident of Forrest, Livingston Co., Ill., for ten years.
D. G. MILLISON, was born in Finley, Mercer Co., Pa., June 21, 1836, and lived in his native place until he immigrated to Kansas and located at Council Grove, in September, 1857. He engaged in the daguerreotype and ambrotype business at Council Grove, being the first artist that settled west of Lawrence, and remained there until 1860, when he returned to Pennsylvania; and in November, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, being discharged after serving fifteen months on account of disability caused by sickness contracted in the army. In 1864 he returned to Kansas and again located at Council Grove, where he printed the Council Grove Democrat about one year, for S. N. Wood, and then went to Topeka and was employed in the office of the State Record, and also in job printing, in company with S. D. Macdonald and T. P. Baker, during 1866-67. He remained in Topeka until 1872 and then established the Daily Beacon at Wichita one month as a daily and one year as a weekly, when he took the job department of the Beacon office and carried that on until 1877. He was then engaged in job printing in Leavenworth for two years, and in 1879 returned to Wichita and resumed charge of the old department of the Beacon. In December, 1881, he commenced job printing under the firm name of D. G. Millison & Co. which he still continues. He was married in Mercer, Mercer Co., Pa., March 21, 1861, to Alice M. Drury, a native of Brookfield, Ohio. They have five children - Ralph Lee, Marion, Wilbert, Mabel Clair and Flora. While Mr. Millison was in the service he participated in the battles of Peach Orchard, Yorktown, Va., front of Richmond, Second Bull Run and Chantilly. Messrs. Millison & Heil published the first Topeka City Directory in 1866.
J. C. MOSSMAN, farmer, P. O. Wichita, born in 1831 in Ohio; son of John S. Mossman and Rachel (Cheney) Mossman. He married, in 1867, Miss Mary M. Smith, daughter of Joshua and Mary Smith. They have five children - Alice R., Abbie E., Rufus S., Ralph C. and Clarence W. Came to Kansas in 1854; located on farm in Riley County and remained until 1871, when he removed to Wichita Township, Sedgwick County, two miles east of Wichita, on Section 15. Owns the west half of the southeast quarter. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1862 in the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteers, Company B. Was in the battles of Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, New Hope Church, Peach Tree Creek, Jonesboro, Franklin, Nashville, and other engagements of his command. Was mustered out of service in 1865. Was never absent from his command during his term of service.
M. R. MOSER, farmer and fruit raiser, P. O. Wichita; born in Pennsylvania in 1834; son of Henry R. Moser and Sarah (Ruble) Moser. Married, in 1858, to Miss Sarah E. Scott, and has two children - Winona and George C. His wife died in 1876; was married again in 1877, to Miss Lucinda Massey. Came to Kansas in 1870; spent one year at Emporia and one year at Peabody. Came to Wichita in 1872; engaged for two years in carriage and blacksmith work. In 1874 located on the farm where he now resides, in Section 23, east half, two miles east of Wichita. Makes a specialty of fruit raising; has thirty-three acres in fruit, 1,500 apple trees, 1,800 peach trees, 300 cherry trees and 200 pear trees, all grafted fruit. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1862, in the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company H. Was commissioned Second Lieutenant in April, 1864. Received Commission as First Lieutenant in June, 1864; Brevet-Captain, in command of the company, from June, 1864, to June, 1865, when he was mustered out of service. Was in the battles of Pollock Mills, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Laurel Hills, Spottsylvania, North Ann, Bethesda Church, Cold Harbor, Petersburgh and others of his command, nineteen in all, and was wounded four times. Was director of the Kansas State Fair in 1882. Is a member of the Garfield Post, No. 25, G. A. R.
WILLIAM MOUNTZ, carriagemaker, was born in Wheeling, Va., in 1837; son of Jacob Mountz and Elizabeth (Shuff) Mountz. He married in 1860, Miss Kate Malloy, and has six children - Harry E., Vivian K., Elizabeth B., Fenton J., Lester and Blanch. He came to Kansas in 1878, and located in Wichita, and commenced business in carriagemaking; business located on the corner of Douglas and Lawrence avenues. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1862, in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company D; was in the battles of Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville, Fredricksburg and other engagements of his command, and was mustered out in 1863. From 1863 to 1865, he was in the Quartermaster's Department. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and owns a residence on lot No. 8, corner First street and Mead avenue.
C. MYERS, carpenter, has been a resident of Kansas since January, 1881, living in Stafford County six months prior to locating in Wichita. He was born in Oxford, Adams Co., Penn., August 12, 1855. In 1870, he removed to Franklin Grove, Ill., and after a residence of two months in that place, to Marshalltown, Iowa, remaining there until he came to Kansas in 1881.
N. F. NIEDERLANDER was born in Buffalo, N. Y., October 2, 1843, which was home until 1876. He raised Company I, Ninety-eighth New York National Guards, for three months' service in 1864, and served four months and twelve days before being mustered out. He then returned to Buffalo, where he lived until April 1876, when he went to Ohio, and remained in that State about eight months, coming from there to Sedgwick County, Kan., in January, 1877. He located in Erie Township (which was so named by Mr. N., from his native county in Pennsylvania), and engaged in farming on east half of Section 5, until April 1, 1878, when he removed to Wichita, and purchased half interest in the business of Meigs and Healy. Mr. Meigs retiring from the firm. He was married at Sandusky, Ohio, to Blanche H. Huson, a native of Springport, Cayuga Co., N. Y. His children - Marlon H., Ralph J., Ethel E., Stacie B. and June P. Mr. N. is a member of K. of P., and K. of H.
A. W. OLIVER, of the firm of Shellabarger, Imboden & Oliver, came to Kansas in September, 1869, located at Topeka, and engaged in the lumber business, remaining in Topeka until March, 1871. Located at Wichita in April, 1872, since which time he has been continuously engaged in the lumber business in that city. Mr. Oliver is now president of the Wichita Board of Trade. He was born in Waterford, Pa., February, 1847. In 1866 he removed to Illinois, in which State he resided until he came to Kansas.
J. G. OLIVER, blacksmith, mill picks a specialty, was born in Seneca County, N. Y., in 1836. Son of John Oliver and Anna (Goodwin) Oliver. Married in 1861 to Miss Ada R. Collins, and has one child, Nannie Oliver. Came to Kansas in 1867 and located in Union Township, Bourbon County. Remained eleven years engaged in blacksmithing, then removed to Oxford. In 1881 located in Cherryvale, and in 1882 located at Wichita. His business is situated on First street, between Main and Water streets. He owns the property where the business is located. Was in the War of the Rebellion. Enlisted in 1861 in the Ninth Indiana Volunteers, Company J. Was in the battle of Buffalo Mountain, Shiloh, and other engagements of his command, and was wounded and taken prisoner. Was held at Libby and Andersonville prisons for nineteen months. Was paroled in 1865. Was broken down in health and for one year after his release was unable to walk without assistance. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Wichita Lodge, No. 99.
HENRY OWENS, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Ohio, in 1823, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Clark) Owens. He was married in 1845 to Miss Ella Gregory, daughter of Patrick Gregory. He was educated at Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, graduating in the class of 1844; commencing the study of medicine in 1845 at Wheeling, Va. Commenced the practice of medicine in 1857; graduated at the Eclectic Medical College of Ohio, in 1873. Moved from Ohio to Iowa in 1856; practiced medicine in Polk County, Iowa, from 1856 until 1870, when he came to Kansas. In the spring of 1871 he opened an office in Wichita and commenced practice, and continued from that time. He owns a farm of 160 acres in Waco Township. Was in the War of the Rebellion and enlisted in 1862 in the Twenty-third Iowa Volunteers, Company C. Was in the battles of Black River, Champion Hill, Jackson, Vicksburg, Milliken's Bend, Fort Esperanza, Mobile and other engagements of his command. He was wounded at Black River and was detailed as Hospital Steward and Surgeon; served in that capacity until the close of the war and was mustered out in 1865. He was a member of the Wichita City Council for two terms. He was the first Coroner of Sedgwick County, and held the office four years. Was president of the State Eclectic Medical Association in 1880, and a member of the Medical Examining Board from 1879 to 1881.
A. T. OWEN came to Kansas in May, 1854, and is therefore one of the oldest settlers in the State. His first location was at Fort Leavenworth, where he was in the grocery business one year. He remained in the vicinity of Leavenworth and at Lawrence, being in the latter place six months, until the spring of 1857, when he went to Junction City, where he was Deputy Sheriff two years, and while there helped to build the pontoon bridge across the Smoky Hill River. He enlisted October 4, 1861, in Company F, Sixth Kansas Cavalry, entering the service as a private and served in that regiment until August 22, 1865, having been promoted to Sergeant Major two years prior to leaving the army. Mr. Owen participated in all the battles of his command and was also several times on detached duty. On leaving the service he went to Vermont and visited a few months, and then returned to Junction City and took charge of the steam mill, eight miles about the city on the Smoky Hill. In the fall of 1866 he was elected Clerk of the District Court and served in that position six years. In November, 1873, he came to Wichita and the first summer engaged in shipping cattle for a Chicago commission house, and for the last five years has been connected with law offices, three years with H. G. Ruggles. Mr. Owen is a native of St. Johnsbury, Vt., where he was born April 9, 1838. He received an academic education in his native State, and when he was about seventeen years of age he left home and went to Waverly, Bremer Co., Iowa, where he remained until he emigrated to Kansas. Mr. Owen is a member of the G. A. R. No. 25.
S. D. PALLETT, lumber dealer, of the firm of Fraker & Pallett, was born in Cass County, Mo., in 1843, son of W. M. Pallett and Elizabeth Campbell. He married, in 1871, Miss Carrie E. Cartwright, and has three children - Eddie, Mabel L. and Newtie. Came to Kansas in 1872; located on a farm near Wichita; was engaged in farming for six years. In 1878 commenced manufacturing at Venice, Kansas. Located at Wichita, in 1880. In 1881 commenced the manufacture of lumber, lath and shingles at Eureka Springs, Ark., under the firm of Fraker & Pallett. In 1882 the firm started a lumber yard at Wichita. The business of the firm at this place is under the management of S. D. Pallett. Business located on Douglas avenue, North Side, near the bridge. Was appointed Postmaster at Venice in 1879; held the appointment for two years. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a member of Wichita Lodge, No. 99, A., F. & A. M.
HON. D. L. PAYNE, born in Grant County, Ind., in December, 1836, is a son of William and Celia Lewis Payne; single. Came to Kansas in 1858; located in Dolphin County. Pre-empted a body of land and erected a saw mill. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861; served three years. In the fall of 1864 was elected to the Kansas Legislature. Served in 1864 and 1865. At the close of that service volunteered as a substitute for a man that was drafted who had a family and was in indigent circumstances. Refused a commission offered him at that time. His first service in 1861 was in the Tenth Regiment of Kansas Volunteers, Company F; second, in 1865, in the Eighth Regiment Kansas Volunteers, Company G; third, as Captain of the Eighteenth Kansas Cavalry, Company D; fourth, as Captain of the Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry. Was Postmaster at Leavenworth. Was for two terms Sergeant-at-Arms in the Kansas Legislature.
W. W. PEARCE, firm of Pollock & Pearce, grocers, was born in Trowbridge, Eng., in 1843, son of James Pearce and Theresa (Mead) Pearce. Married, in 1868, Miss Mary E. Thomas, and has two children - Ira T. and Emma G. Came to Kansas in 1869, located in Butler County on a farm. Was engaged in farming for four years. In 1874 located at Wichita and engaged in grocery business. In 1877 formed a partnership with J. M. Pollock and established the grocery business under the firm name of Pollock & Pearce. business located at No. 40 Douglas avenue. The firm also deals in stock, and now owns 450 sheep of high grade. Mr. Pearce still owns his farm in Butler County, and a residence in Wichita, corner of Topeka avenue and William street.
J. M. POLLOCK, of the firm of Pollock & Pearce, grocery, was born in Ohio, in 1847: son of Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Mitchell Pollock. He married, in 1870, Miss Eliza Shaw, and has two children - May and Harry. Mr. P. came to Kansas in 1870, and located on a farm south west of Wichita. In 1872, he located in Wichita, and engaged in the carpenter business for three years. In 1875, he commenced in the grocery and provision business on Main street. In 1877, he formed a partnership with W. W. Pearce, and established business at No. 44 Douglas avenue. Business has increased 300 per cent since it was established. He owns a farm in Waco Township and a residence in Wichita, on Emporia street, between Second and Third streets. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
REV. ANSEL H. POST, Baptist clergyman, came to Kansas in 1868; born in Indiana in 1851; was educated at Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, Ill.; graduated in 1874; was ordained by the Baptist Church, Edgington, Ill., in 1875; is the son of John C. and Adeline Whitehead Post; was married, in 1875, to Miss Henrietta Kenworthy, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Maria Eby Kenworthy; have two children - Ada M. and Judson. Gracie E. died in 1879. First pastor at Edgington, Ill.; remained one year there; accepted pastorate of church in Iowa; then located at Burton, Kan,; was pastor of church for five years in Reno County; organized the church at Nickerson.
REV. JOHN C. POST, Baptist clergyman, came to Kansas in 1868. He was born in Montpelier, Vt., in 1814. Is the son of John and Phoebe Clark Post. He was married, in 1840, to Miss Adaline Whitehead. They have four children - Lucinda, John M., Sidney L. and Ansel H. His wife is the daughter of Gad and Thankful (Pearce) Whitehead. He was educated at the Henrietta Academy, New York. Studied theology under Hon. Jesse L. Holman, at Aurora, Ind., during the years 1838-39. Licensed to preach by the Aurora Baptist Church, remained in Indiana as pastor for two years; removed to Michigan, where he was pastor for five years; then removed to Texas, and remained two years; returned to Indiana, and became pastor of Franklin Church and college agent; remained there for five years; then removed to Northwestern Indiana, where he was pastor for nine years, at which time his health failed him, and he then spent two years in organizing churches in Illinois. In 1868, located at Fort Scott, Kan.; was pastor of the Baptist Church at that place for four years; during that time built the church building that now stands there. In 1873, he removed to Wichita, and became pastor of the First Baptist Church of that place; remained pastor for two years, during which time he built the present church building. In 1875, he became pastor of the Baptist Church at Hutchison; remained pastor four years, during which time he built the present church building. In 1879, he became a missionary for Southwestern Kansas, which position he occupies at the present time. He has, during his ministry, raised $75,000 for denominational purposes. Has built eight church buildings in the past twenty years, and has organized twenty-five Baptist churches.
T. E. PRESTON, commission merchant and dealer in hides and wool, was born in Bridgeton, N. J., in 1849; son of J. W. Preston and Anna M. (Moore) Preston. Married in 1876 and has three children - William R., Charles A. and Pluma B. Came to Kansas in 1867, located at Le Roy, Coffey County, and engaged in farming. In 1869 he came to Wichita, and located on a farm; engaged on a farm until 1880. In 1880 he buried his wife. In 1882, was married to Miss Mary Dillon. Was engaged as traveling salesman from 1880 to 1882. In 1882 he commenced business in hides, wool and commission. Is a member of the "Old Settlers' Association."