|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HAGLER - NORTON).
ISAAC HAGLER, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Salina, was born in Jackson County, Ill. March 10, 1844, where he was reared and educated. Was engaged in farming in his native county until 1874, when he came to Kansas and purchased a farm and is engaged in agricultural pursuits. His farm comprises 160 acres of fine farming land conveniently located to Salina. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B. Eighty- first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, participated in the battles of Vicksburg, Nashville, Spanish Fort and other of less importance. Was discharged in 1865. Married in Jackson County, Ill., April 30, 1866, to Mrs. Lucinda Davis, born in Guernsey County, Ohio, May 10, 1842. They have a family of six children - Emanuel Davis, William N., Josiah, Martha A., Don and Berty. Mr. H. is identified with the Republican party.
NEIL HAGGARD, of the firm of Haggart & Woodward dealers in groceries, queens-ware, etc., also keep a general stock of tobacco, cigars, etc. Opened trade October 1, 1880. Carry a stock of about $2,500. Mr. H. first located on a farm three miles east of Salina in the spring of 1871, farmed until 1877; he then became a clerk in the boot and shoe trade some time. He erected a store building 60x25 feet, two stories high, at a cost of $4,000. He was a traveling salesman for A. G. Leonard, Chicago, a boot and shoe dealer, for a year, then became a partner in the above business. He was born in Livingston County, N. Y. October 5, 1848, educated in his native State; moved with parents to Lancaster, Grant Co., Wis. In 1861, where he completed his education. Married in January, 1871, to Miss Niargua Woodard, of Salina. They have one son - Cecil Neil.
O. P. HAMILTON, County Surveyor Saline County, came to Topeka, Kansas, in May, 1859, where he took several government contracts, etc. He also erected 137 houses on contracts, at a total cost of $90,000 for the Kaw Indians, at Council Grove, Kansas. He moved to Salina in June, 1862, where he engaged in farming, contracting, surveying, etc. he became engaged in U. S. Govt. Mining Survey in Colorado four years. Was also engaged three or four years in the frontier Indian wars, etc. He was the second County Clerk of Saline County. Was Probate Judge from 1868 to 1870, inclusive; elected County Surveyor fall of From 1877 until June, 1880 was Land Surveyor L .P. R. R. Co. he is one of the original projectors of Topeka, Salina and Western Railroad, and now a director. Was re-elected County Surveyor in fall of 1881, getting every vote in the county but one. Now carries on a farm. Born in Brown County, Ohio, September 4, 1827; educated in southern Indiana, where he lived until fall of 1858. Moved Elgin, Ill., and remained until May, 1859.
HON. LEWIS HANBACK, was born in the town of Winchester, Scott Co., Ill., March 27, 1839. He was the eldest of six children born to William and Ann Hanback. His father was a portrait painter by profession. In 1840 his parents moved from Winchester to Quincy, where they resided until 1844, when they moved to Madison, Ind., where they dwelt until 1848, and then moved to Switzerland County Ind. Here the family remained until April, 1850, when they again returned to Illinois settling on a farm near Quincy. In 1855 another change of residence took place, the family going to Camp Point, Adams Co., Ill., where, on May the 1st, 1855, William Hanback, the father of Lewis, died, his wife surviving him by not quite twelve months, she having died in the following March, leaving a family of six children, of whom Lewis was the eldest. Now left to their own protection, the children became separated, and Lewis hired out to a farmer, which occupation he followed until 1860. His early education was acquired in a rural common school, but after his parents died he attended the Cherry Grove Seminary, of Knox County Ill., during the winters of 1858-9 and 1860, closing his term on the 1st day of June of the latter year. After closing his term at the Seminary he went to Morgan County, Ill., where he taught school through the winter of 1860-61. The war coming on he enlisted, April 19, 1861, at Jacksonville, Ill., in the Harding Light Guards, which afterwards became Company B of the Tenth Illinois Infantry. His term of three months expiring, he re-enlisted as a private in Company K of the Twenty-seventh Illinois Infantry, but was mustered into the service as Orderly Sergeant. Subsequently he was promoted to rank of Second Lieutenant, his commission bearing date November 7, 1861, the day on which was fought the battle of Belmont. He served in his regiment under General Grant during his campaign in Kentucky, in January, 1862, and also in the advance upon Columbus, Ky., in March, 1862. Participated in the siege of Island No. 10 in March and April, 1862, and was present at the capture of Union City, Tenn. In April 1862. Was with Gen. Pope when he joined the Army of the Tennessee at Hamburg Landing, and took part in the advance upon and siege of Corinth in the spring of 1862. In the summer of that year was with his regiment while guarding the Memphis & Charleston R. R. and in September marched from Decatur, Ala., to Nashville, Tenn., where the divisions of Gens. Nealey and Palmer were cut off from communication and were besieged by the Rebels until relieved by the advance of Gen. Rosecrans. In November, 1862, he was appointed Brigade Inspector, and was assigned to the staff of Col. G. W. Roberts, commanding brigade. Mr. Hanback was actively engaged in the battle of Stone River, and was in the advance upon Tullahoma, in June, 1863. On the 1st of July, 1863, he was promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant. He was a participant of the battle of Chickamauga, on September 19 and 20, 1863, and in the siege of Chattanooga which followed shortly afterward. In November, 1863, he was appointed on the staff of Gen. Sheridan, and served in that position in the battle of Mission Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863. Subsequently he was transferred to the staff of Gen. C. G. Harker, and went with the army ordered to Knoxville to relieve Gen. Burnside. In May, 1864, was present at the advance upon Atlanta, and served on Gen. Harker's staff until that officer's death at the battle of Kenesaw in June, 1864. In August, 1864, he was commissioned as Captain of Company K in the Twenty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and after the death of Gen. Harker he served until the close of the war on the staff of Gen. L. P. Bradley as Assistant Adjt. Gen of Brigade, and was mustered out at Springfield, Ill., on September 20, 1864. After being mustered out of the service went to New York, where he attended as a student the law school at Albany during the winter of 1864-65, after which he returned to Illinois, where, on August 9, 1865, he was married to Miss Hester A. Cooper, of Chapin, Morgan County, by whom he has had six children, three of whom are dead. The names of the living are -Clara, born June 6, 1866; Edwin, born December 21, 1867, and Grace, born May 9, 1870 Immediately after his marriage he moved with his young wife to Topeka, Kansas, where he opened a law office and commenced the practice of his profession. In the spring of 1867 he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, which position he held until the fall of 1868, when he was elected to the office of Probate Judge of Shawnee County, which office he held for four successive years, having been re-elected in 1870. In 1876 he was elected Assistant Chief Clerk of the lower house in the General Assembly, and in 1877 was Assistant Secretary of the Senate. In March, 1878, he was appointed Assistant U. S. Attorney for Kansas, which position he held until October 1, 1879 when he was nominate by the President to the office of Receiver of the U. S. Land Office at Salina, which nomination was confirmed by the Senate. On receiving this appointment he moved with his family from Topeka to Salina, which place now is and has been his permanent place of residence. On June 29, 1882, he was nominated by the Republican State Convention as candidate for Congressman at large to which office he was elected by a large majority on November 7, 1882, and will take his seat in the National House of Representatives as a member of Fiftieth Congress.
HERMAN HARMS, dealer in and manufacturer of cigars, smokers' articles, etc. His factory is No. 230. He keeps an average stock of about $1,500 worth. He first came to Salina, Kan., in 1873; worked at cigar making two years; then opened business for himself. Employs four men in the manufacture of his goods. He was born in Germany, December 29, 1843. Learned cigar making in his native country. Came to America in 1867. Lived in New York City and followed his calling until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1870 to Miss Mary Landwehr, a native of Germany. His wife's parents came to America when she was a year old. They have four children - Anna, Lottie, and Maggie. He is a member K. of P. and the Salina Maennerchor.
CHARLES HASKIT, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Salina, was born in Clark County, Ill., where he resided until 1859, when he came to Kansas and settled in this county, and is engaged in agricultural pursuits on his farm of 320 acres. Married in Edgar County, Ill., February 22, 1856, to Miss Susan Rogers. She was born in Clark County, Ill., February 5, 1836. They have three children - Thomas J., Lucy A. and John J.
CHARLES T. HILTON, proprietor livery, sale and feed stables, opened the business in the fall of 1875; keeps a good stock to supply all demands. He located in McPherson County, Kas., on a farm in the spring of 1873; and farmed a year. Then took a contract for carrying the United States mail four years, and went into his present business. He has been a member of the City Council of Salina for four years. He was born in Lincoln County Me., May 31, 1839. Lived in his native State until the summer of 1861, when he enlisted in Company R. Eighth Regiment Maine Volunteer Infantry, participated in all the battles of his regiment. Was promoted to Second Lieutenant, in the spring of 1865. In the One Hundred and Seventeenth United States Colored Infantry, was sent to Texas. Promoted August, 1865, to first Lieutenant, and appointed Regimental Quartermaster, also held the positions of Post Quartermaster, and Post Commissary at Ringgold Barracks, Texas. He was mustered out in the fall of 1867, in New Orleans, La. He afterward farmed five years in Missouri. Was married in March, 1866, to Miss Henrietta J. Gildden, of Kennebec County, Me. They have four children - Harry Vernon, Vivian, Daisy and Henrietta. He is a member of the Masonic order, and G. A. R. of Salina, Kas.
OLOF HOLCOMB, photographer, established the business in Salina, June 1876. Does a business of $200 per month. He was born in Sweden, May 16, 1847. Came to America 1868 and settled in Galesburg, Ills., where he learned photographing; afterward kept a photograph gallery two years in Woodhull, Ills. Then went to Galesburg, Ills., where he remained in business until he came to Kansas. He is a member I. O. O. F., etc., etc.
DR. WILLIAM T. HOUSER, physician and surgeon, first located in Salina Kan., August 7, 1880, where he continued the practice of medicine. Born near Fort Recovery, Mercer Co., Ohio, January 22, 1882. Educated in native county. Began the study of medicine in 1870, in Ohio, entering the office of J. H. Adams, M. D., where he continued two years. He then entered the Physio Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in the spring of 1874. He then began the practice of his profession in Winchester, Ind.; continued two years and went to Huntsville, Ind., where he continued tin practice until he came to Salina. Married in 1879, to Miss Eda B. Pierce, of Harrison, Ohio. They have on daughter, Mary Maggie.
S. P. HUGHES, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Box Salina, was born in Venango County, Pa., October 12, 1844. He was reared and educated in his native State. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company L. Fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, passing through many of the notable events of the late war. Was wounded in February, 1865, at Hatch's Run. Va., and was discharged July 1, 1865, after which he returned to his native State and engaged in various pursuits until 1867, when he came West, and settled in Ellsworth County, this State, and remained there until 1876, and then moved to this county, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married in Ellsworth County, this State, May 29, 1878, to Miss Agnes Connor, born at Niagara, Canada, March 14, 1861. By this marriage they have two children - John E. and Ruben P. Mr. H. is a member of the Republican party.
BENJAMIN JENKINS, of the firm of Barlett & Jenkins, first came to Salina, Kan., January 1, 1878, and engaged in live stock and butcher business. He was born in Wales, June 7, 1846. Came to America in September, 1870, locating in Joliet, Ill., where he farmed two years. He then followed various occupations in Joliet two years; worked in the butcher business three years, then came to Salina. Married in February, 1882, to Miss Margaret E. Leach, of Marysville, Marshall Co., Kan. They are members of the Baptist Church.
DR. J. W. JENNEY, physician and surgeon, located in the practice of medicine in Salina May 2, 1870, where he has since continued his profession. Born in Huron County, Ohio, October 26, 1844. Educated in Oberlin College, Ohio. Began the study of medicine in 1866, entering the Cleveland Homoeopathic College, where he continued some time. Then practiced in Zanesville, Ohio, and other places several years, finally graduating from latter college in 1868. Then located in Somerset, Ohio, where he continued in practice until he came to Salina. He enlisted in the one hundred day service, Company C. One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry; served full time, and mustered out in September, 1864. He was married in 1874 to Miss Emma C. Tucker of Minneapolis, Kan. They have three children - Warren C., Mary G. and Charles M. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of P. of Salina, and examining surgeon for Salina Lodge, No. 28 I. O. O. F.; also examiner for Kansas Benevolent Life Insurance Company, and for Ohio Valley Protective Union, of Wheeling, W. Va.
FREEMAN KINGMAN, dealer in general line hardware and agricultural implements, opened the trade under the firm name of Kingman, Hayward & Bowen, January 12, 1880; changed to Kingman & Co., in February, 1882. They carry an average stock of about $20,000, not including implements. They employ four men. He first located in Salina in 1869; engaged in farming about nine years; then in the coal business until he began the hardware trade. He was born in Fremont, Tazewell Co., Ill., August 30, 1837. Received his education in native State. Went to California in 1858, where he engaged in merchandising and mining until the fall of 1869, when he came to Salina. Married in 1862, to Miss Mary J. Thompson of Jackson, Mich. They have three children - Frank, Ellen B., and William Freeman. Frank was born in California; Ellen B. in Boise Valley, Idaho, and Freeman in Saline County, Kan. He has been a member of the County Board, a Township Trustee, and is a member of the Masonic order.
JOHN F. LAUTH, in charge of the hardware store of M. Schwartz, of Pittsburgh, Pa. They deal in a general line hardware and agricultural implements, paints, oils and glass. The business was opened in the spring of 1871. They now carry a stock of $12,000 and employ five men in the business, and occupy a building 24x80, basement and two floors. Mr. Lauth first came to Salina, Kas., in 1877, and clerked some time, after which he took charge of the above business. Born in Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1853. Educated in his native city. Then clerked for several years in a factory of railroad supplies.
B. A. LITOWICH, firm of Litowich & Wolsieffer, dealers in general merchandise, first came to Salina, Kas., in 1871, where he engaged in the mercantile business, keeping dry goods, clothing, etc., under the firm name of A. Siegel & Co., changed to Litowich & Wittman in 1873. In 1877, he went out the business till the spring of 1878. The present firm was formed November, 1879. He was born in Poland December 17, 1849. Was educated in his native country and came to America in 1868 and located in New York City, where he engaged for a short time in window glazing, then into peddling notions, etc., and finally got a horse and wagon and carried the business on until 1871, when he came to Salina, Kas. He was married in June, 1882, to Miss Juliette Rothschilds, of Muscatine, Iowa. He is a member of Encampment Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Salina Kas.
FRANK W. McCLELLAND, law firm of Lovitt & McClelland, began the co-partnership July 5, 1881. He located in Salina, August 1, 1880 and went in company with John Foster and continued until the present co-partnership was formed. He was born in Plymouth, Ohio, October 31, 1856. Was educated in the High schools of Postville, Iowa, and the law department of Iowa State University, graduating in the June class of 1880. He was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court and United States District Court for the southern division of Iowa held at Keokuk, Iowa. He began first the study and practice of law at McGregor, Iowa, in the law office of Nobel, Hatch & Freese. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Postville, Iowa.
R. H. MARKLAND, of the firm of Markland, Dodge & Moore, dealers in general merchandise. They opened the business in the fall of 1876; carry a stock of about $30,000. They occupy their own building, erected in 1876, size of which is 24x105, two floors and a basement. Cost of the building, $7,500. They employ six men in the business. R. H. Markland came to Salina in 1876 and became a partner in the above firm. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1844, was educated in Oregon and at St. Joseph, Mo., parents moving to Oregon in 1859. He first clerked four years in the mercantile trade, then in 1868 went into business for himself in Quitman, Mo., where he continued until he came to Kansas. He enlisted in April, 1862, in Company C. Sixth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Served six months. Re- enlisted in Company F. Fourth Missouri Cavalry, and participated in all the battles of his command. Was mustered out in St. Louis, Mo., in 1865. Mr. Markland was married in 1872 to Miss Callie Beau, of Ohio. They have two children - Lillie and Harry. He is a member of the Masonic order of Missouri.
REV. P. MAURER, Catholic priest, first came to Sedgwick, Kas., in September, 1880, and took charge of St. Mark's Church until November, 1881, when he was transferred to the Sacred Heart Church, of Salina, Kas., where he has since preached. He was born in Alsace, France, October 15, 1844. Educated in Strasburg, Alsace, entering the theological seminary as a student of that place in October, 1856, and graduated in the fall of 1865. He then immigrated to America and did missionary work in Minnesota from that time until 1880, when he came to Kansas as before noted.
F. C. MILLER, cashier Salina Bank. The above bank was opened for business November 1, 1875. They do an exclusive banking business and exchange with Eastern city banks and the principal cities of Europe. Deposits equal to $60,000. Mr. Miller located at Salina, Kan., in 1875. He was connected with local land department of the K. P. R. R. some time. He then went into the Salina Bank as book-keeper, became cashier April 1, 1880. He was born in Preble County, Ohio, February 14, 1856. Went to Lawrence, Kan., in 1872. He is a graduate of Lawrence High School. Married January 4, 1881, to Miss Margaret E. Rash, of Tennessee.
JOSEPH MOORE, Clerk of the District Court, Saline County. He first came to Salina in March 1878, being a telegraph operator for the K. P. R. R. until December, 1880. Has served as Justice of the Peace in Spring Creek Township, and Police Judge of Brookville; has also practiced law. He was born in Ireland, August 8, 1852. His parents came to the United States in, 1862, and located in Cleveland, Ohio, where he received his education. He was a messenger boy in the oil regions of Pennsylvania a year; at the same time gained a knowledge of telegraphy. He then became operator at Petroleum Center, Penn., one year . Thence to Cleveland, where he operated for old Cleveland & Erie Railroad Company until the summer of 1867, when he worked for the Philadelphia & Erie Company at various stations until the spring of 1868; he was then apprenticed to a brick-layer for three years; during odd times operated for Atlantic & Great Western R. R. Co. Went to Chicago, Ill., in the spring of 1872, and engaged in brick-laying until 1875. He then accepted a position as train dispatcher at Trenton, Mo., for C. R. I & P. R. R. Held that position until the summer of 1873; returned to Ohio and worked at brick-laying until 1875. He then accepted a position as baggage master at Leavittsburg, Ohio, at which place he began reading law. He was married June 30, 1874, to Miss Olive A. King, of the latter place. They have two children - Bessie C. and Nettie A. He is a member of Salina Lodge No. 28. I. O. O. F.
ROBERT MUIR, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Salina, came to Saline County, March 18, 1861, and located on his present place, Section 1, Township 14, Range 3 west. Owns 413 acres of very fine land with water and timber, all of which is cultivated. His wheat averaged thirty bushels per acre in 1882; this, however, is an exception. He was born in Scotland, December 27, 1837; raised on a farm, and came to America with an uncle in 1850, and settled in Randolph County, Ill. His parents yet live there. He resided in that country until 1861, when he came to Kansas. Mr. Muir was married in 1865 to Miss Nancy Kennison, a native of Ohio. They have seven children - Andrew C., Rrobert Asa, Anna C., Jane Wilson, Emma B., Nellie and Brice. He was a member of the Kansas State Militia during Price's threatened raid and Indian troubles of 1864-65, serving as First Lieutenant.
E. L. NORTON, Justice of the Peace, United States Commissioner, and Notary Public, first came to Salina in May, 1867, where for a short time he engaged in the manufacture of concrete brick, then in the hotel business for three years. He then divided his time between his farm, and the above offices. Sold his farm in 1878. He was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., January 28, 1820, and educated in his native State. Went to Utica, N. Y., in 1851, thence to Peoria, Ill., where he followed house painting until 1858; then went into the hotel business in Monmouth, Ill., until 1860. Kept hotel a year in Galva, Ill. Then enlisted in Company D. Seventeenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battle of Shiloh; was then placed on detached duty, and discharged in 1863 on account of disability, but remained in the quartermaster's department until December, 1864. He then engaged in raising cotton near New Orleans a year; returned to Peoria, Ill., thence to Kansas. He was married in 1843 to Miss Sarah A. Payne, a native of London, England. They have two sons and two daughters - Addison A., Charles E., Miriam E. and Alice C. He is a member of the Masonic order and I. O. O. F.