|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
JOHN GIBBONEY, farmer, P. O. Cuba, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1843. When old enough, learned the brick-molder's trade, working at this trade summers, and was employed in a woolen factory as weaver in the winters, following this business until January, 1862, when he was employed in the post-office until February, 1864. Was a member of Weston Hose Fire Company, of Philadelphia, thirteen years secretary of the same. In 1865 migrated to Iowa, locating in Jones County, where he engaged in farming, remaining there until 1873, when he came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 27, Township 3, Range 1. Was among the first settlers, there being no improvements, except once in a while a small field on the creeks. Was forty miles from market, and about the same to mill. Has a good place, which he has improved with thirty-five acres of plow land. Has planted a good grove of forest trees, put up stone house and stable, and is raising stock. Has a good place, being watered by Elk Creek, with about forty acres of timber along the stream for shelter. Mr. Gibboney is a very popular man in his town, and has held the Office of Town Trustee continuously for six terms. Was married in 1872 to Miss Charity Howkett, of Republic County. They have one child. Is a member of I. O. O. F.
W. J. KENNEDY, farmer, P. O. Cuba, was born in Logan County, Ill., in 1845, where he was raised, and lived there until 1867. Emigrating from there to Iowa, locating in Wapello County, where he remained three years, and in October, 1879, emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and homesteaded 160 acres on Section 6, Township 3, Range 1 in the same year. Has since added eighty acres in Section 31, and has 240 acres in one body. This was the first homestead taken in what is called the divide. Has put in all the improvements, consisting of 170 acres under the plow, eleven acres of forest trees, which he planted, a good orchard of fifty apple, 200 peach trees, besides plums and small fruits, and has good horses, and is engaged in raising stock. Is dealing in stock and produce. Has been in this business since 1881. Has shipped from 150 to 300 head of hogs, besides large quantities of butter and eggs. Has been Clerk of the Township four times, and is a thorough farmer and business man. Was married in February, 1879, at Farmington Township; to Miss L. Sissell. They have two children viz., Leroy, born in 1879, Harry A., born 1881. Is a member of the Grange.
J. G. ARBUTHNOT, farmer, P. O. Cuba, was born in Allegheny County, Pa., in 1816 where he was raised, and lived there until 1852. Was engaged in farming, and then moved to Iowa, locating in Tama County, where he engaged in farming, and in 1871 came to Kansas, located in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 33, Township 2, Range 1, and commenced to improve his place. He was elected County Surveyor in 1871, and held the office until 1875. Has since bought more land, and now owns about 900 acres in Farmington Township. Mill Creek runs through his farm, which furnishes plenty of water for his cattle and stock, and there is about forty acres of timber, which furnishes all the wood which he requires. Has 480 acres fenced; 160 under the plow; good house, and barn with basement of stone, and is exclusively engaged in raising stock. Raises from thirty to forty head of cattle, and buys and feeds as many more and has from sixty to eighty head to market each year; also has 150 to 175 head of hogs. Mr. Arbuthnot is one of the leading men in his town and has always taken an active part in politics, although he does not aspire to office. He is a genial, hospitable gentleman, and is highly respected by his many acquaintances. Is a number one farmer, and a good business man. He was married in 1847 in Pittsburg(sic), Pa., to Miss Mary C. Fogal, of that place. They have eight children,--Samuel, Lon, Charles, Thomas, Jennie, Juliet, Grant and Sherman. He is a member of the Belleville Lodge, No. 96, I. O. O. F.
A. A. BURK, P. O. New Tabor, was born in Walworth County, Wis., in 1845, and was raised on a farm until 1862, when he enlisted in the Twenty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving in Company C until June 28, 1865. In 1863 was taken prisoner at Brentwood Station, Tenn., and was taken to Richmond, Va., and confined in Libby Prison six weeks, and was then paroled. After receiving his discharge, he returned to Wisconsin and engaged in farming until 1871. Then came to Kansas and located in Republic County, taking a homestead on Section 17, Township 2, Range 1, and which he has improved. In 1882 sold his farm in Township 2, Range 1, and bought in Township 2, Range 2, where he now lives. He has a house and barn, and a splendid creek runs through his place, furnishing plenty of running water for his stock. There are about forty acres of timber along the banks of the creek. Has a small orchard and plenty of small fruit. He was Justice of the Peace several terms, and was School Clerk three or four terms. Has been running a thrashing machine for nine years, and has all he can do in this line, having worked up a good reputation as a worker. He was married in 1866 to Miss Julia O. Baker, of Racine County, Wis. They have three children,--Mary E., Alfred D., and Nellie. He is a member of the Masonic order.
N. O. DANNEFER, merchant, Cuba, was born in Denmark, 1847. In 1863 emigrated to America and located in Vernon County, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming until 1870, when he emigrated to Kansas and took a homestead on Section 4, Township 3, Range 2, which he lived on and improved until 1881: broke seventy acres, planted four acres of timber, 350 peach trees, with a good grove of plum trees, and some very fine hedge. In September 1881 went into the mercantile business in Cuba with a general line of merchandise. The store is 18x30 feet, well filled with goods and has worked up a good trade in the short time he has been there. Was married in Belleville, Kansas, in 1876, to Miss R. Jackson. They have two children, viz.: Sarah M., and Grace H.
JOHN HARRIS, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Cuba, was born in Macomb County, Michigan, in 1835, but was raised in St. Clair County until fourteen years of age. From there he went to Wisconsin with his parents, locating in Fond Du Lac County, at the end of two years located in Waupaca County, and remained there about nine or ten years and in 1860 came to Kansas, locating in Woodson County, and remained one year. From there came West to Coffey County, remaining about nine months, and in December, 1861, enlisted in Company C, Second Kansas Cavalry, serving until February, 1863. After coming out of the army lived in different portions of the State until March, 1866, made a permanent settlement in Republic County by taking a homestead on Section 4, Township 3, Range 1. Was the first settler in the township. His claim is situated on Mill Creek, taking in a portion of the creek, with about forty acres in timber. Has added to the place, and has 490 acres in one farm, has 220 acres under the plow and eighty acres of timber, the balance in hay and pasture; has 150 rods of hedge, good orchard, fine buildings, and it is one of the finest places in the township. He is extensively engaged in raising and has a half interest in 300 head of cattle; about 150 head of hogs and 700 head of sheep, besides 13 head of horses. In 1869 he was appointed Sheriff of Republic County and was Chairman of the first Board of County Commissioners, besides Justice of the Peace and other Township offices. In 1855 he was married in Portage County, Wisconsin, to Miss Swan, of that place. They have eight children: George A., John W., Alvin, Annette, Ida G., Edwin, Ella and Olive. He is a member of John Brown Post No. 44, G. A. R., and a member of the Republic County Co-operative Association.
DR. N. STITT, farmer, P. O. Cuba, was born in Vermont in 1831, and was raised there until ten years of age, when his parents settled in St. Lawrence County, New York. About 1846 he moved into Essex County, where he remained about ten years; at the age of eighteen went to live with Dr. Morse, at Jay, Essex County, and took up the study of medicine, remaining with him five years, finished his course and commenced practice under the doctor. He then went to Lewis, where he remained about one year, then he went to West Point on the Lake, remaining a short time, then moved to DeKalb County, Illinois, where he remained about twelve years engaged in the practice of medicine the most of the time, then went to Tama County, Iowa, remaining about one year, from there went to Carroll County, and in the fall of 1870 moved to Kansas, locating on his present place on Section 21, Farmington Township, which he homesteaded; has eighty acres under the plow, and one and one half miles of hedge, and a fine grove of three acres, a good orchard of 90 apple and 150 peach trees, besides small fruits; good house 12x16 feet and 16x20 feet with the basement. Raises some stock, and has one of the finest stock horses in the county, Norman imported from France in 1881, valued at $1,000. Markets from $150 to $250 worth of hogs each year. He has put in all these improvements besides attending to his practice since he has been in the State. He was married in 1852, at Jay, Essex County, New York, to Miss Hellen Smith. They have seven children: Marion, Edley, Ida, Walter, Lydia, Wallace and Orvin.
H. O. STUDLEY, farmer and teacher, P. O. Cuba, was born in Branch County, Mich., in 1844; was raised on a farm, and after he became of age was engaged in farming and teaching. In 1870, emigrated to Kansas and located in Republic County and took a homestead on Section 31, Farmington Township, and began improving it summers and teaching winters. In 1877 sold this place and now owns a farm on Section 29, and is engaged in raising stock; has some cattle, four horses and forty-five head of hogs, and will still continue teaching winters and farming summers; has taught fourteen terms since he came to the State and was one of the first School Examiners in the county and one of the first teachers; and has been Township Clerk several terms. In 1863, entered the Union army, serving in the Fifth Michigan Cavalry; was discharged in July, 1865, at the close of the war. Was married in 1876 in Farmington, Kan., to Miss Ella Ingham. They have been blessed with two children, viz: Allie and Goldie. Is Secretary of Republic County Co-operative Association.
C. W. WAGENER, farmer, P. O. Cuba, was born June 25, 1858, in Scott County, Illinois, and came to Kansas in 1870 with his mother, Mrs. M. Wagener, who took a homestead on Section 30, Township 1, Range 2. She has her two sons, two daughters, and her son Charles, twelve years of age. They have improved the place by breaking sixty-five acres, planted about eight acres of timber and a good orchard, fifty apple trees, thirty-five cherry and peach trees, and small fruit, and have a good house and some fine stock, consisting of about twelve head of cattle, thirty five hogs and horses enough to carry on the farm, having since added forty acres on Section 29, using most of it for pasture. There are two good springs, and twenty-five acres under the plow. They have done well since they came under the management of Mrs. Wagener. She was born in Lawrence County, Indiana, in 1819. Her maiden name was Williams. In 1829 she went to Scott County, Illinois, and in 1840 was married to J. W. Wagener, of that county, from there went to Iowa, remaining there three years, then returned to Scott County, Illinois, and in August, 1862, Mr. Wagener enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, Company F, and was taken prisoner and from the treatment he received while in prison his health was shattered and in 1865 he died in the hospital of the Benton Barracks, St. Louis. They had ten children, of whom five are living, viz.: E. W., O. M., Sarah E., Charles and Cinthia.
W. H. WOODHOUSE, farmer, P. O. New Tabor, was born in Knox County, Indiana, in 1838, but was raised in Grant County, Wis. In August, 1862, enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry, serving until June 25, 1865. In 1870 came to Kansas in company with his brother-in-law, J. Hoosier, and they were among the first in the township. Mr. Woodhouse took a homestead on Section 26, northeast quarter Township 2, Range 2, and has 100 acres under the plow, eight or ten acres of timber and the balance in hay land and pasture, and has a small orchard and a variety of small fruits, raises from thirty-five to forty head of hogs to market each year, besides some cattle. Was married in 1865 at Fairplay, Grant Co., Wis., to Miss Rocena Sleinbrook. They have five children, Flora, Allen, Dora, May, and Frederick. Is a member of the G. A. R., and of Belleville Lodge No. 129, A., F. & A. M., was one of the first constables in that town, holding the office two terms.
S. M. EDWARDS, farmer, P. O. Hubbell, Neb., was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, in 1847. In 1865 his parents moved to Sangamon County, remaining there until he was twenty-one or twenty-two years of age, then located in Moultrie County, where he engaged in raising, dealing and shipping stock, remained there until 1875, when he closed out his business, and then emigrated to Kansas and located in Republic County and bought a farm of 160 acres on Section 18, Township 1, Range 1, which he began to improve with a view of making it a stock farm; has 120 acres under the plow and planted two acres of timber, 290 apple trees, 100 peach trees, besides a variety of cherries, plums, pears and grapes and small fruits. He has thirty-seven acres fenced for pasture, good house 16x24 feet, granary 12x24 feet, and other necessary improvements, and is raising stock and has from forty to fifty head of hogs, will make hog-raising a specialty. He has direct from imported stock imported some full Poland blood hogs, also buys and feeds and ships a great many hogs and cattle each year. In 1881 he was elected County Commissioner for a term of three years. He has been Town Clerk one term and Town Clerk and Township Collector one term in Illinois and often refusing the nomination of other positions of honor and trust within the gift of the people, also refusing the nomination for Representative of 79th District to the Legislature of Kansas in 1880. He is one of the leading men in his town. He has made an extensive acquaintance and a good many friends in the short time he has been in the county and is known as a thorough business man and a good officer. He was married in 1872 at Waverly, Sangamon County, Ill., to Miss Elizabeth C. Adams. They have five children: Sarah M., Emma G., Della A., Guthrie O., and Frank W. He is a member of Ida Lodge No. 147, I. O. O. F., member of the Grand Lodge of Kansas, of the Grange and of the Republic Co-operative Association, and of the O. U. A., the Anti-Horse Thief Association and the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
DANIEL H. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Hubbell Neb., was born in Kendall County, Illinois, in 1839, where he was raised, living there until twenty-four years of age, thence to Knox County, where he remained six years. In the spring of 1870 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and was among the first settlers in Albion Township, and homesteaded the northeast quarter of Section 17 and began improving his place, now has 140 acres under the plow and twenty acres of hay land, has planted seven acres of timber, sixty-five apple trees, forty peach trees, cherries, plums, and a variety of small fruits, a fine lot of grapes, and many Russian mulberries; has a fair house, good stone sheep barn 18x48 feet. Is engaged in sheep raising, started this branch of his farming in 1879, staring with 200, and has been very successful, has sold $1,270 worth of sheep and wool and has 500 sheep, the annual clip has been 6 1/2 pounds per head, and finds after paying all costs of feed, care of sheep, and taxes that he has a net gain of 160 per cent per annum on the investment. Also raises a few cattle, colts and hogs for market each year, and for a number of years was extensively engaged in raising hogs, but will turn his attention to wool growing hereafter. Has leased 320 acres adjoining his place for his sheep to graze upon. Was married in Knox County, Illinois, in 1863, to Miss Julia Jones, daughter of Conoley Jones, one of the pioneers of Knox County. Their children are, Lester, Leon and Mary S.; the last-named, born in the spring of 1870, was the first white girl born in Albion Township. Mr. Johnson and family are members of the Seventh Day Adventists.
C. B. MOSSER, M. D., P. O. Hubbell, Nebraska, was born in St. Joseph County, Michigan, in 1848, and was raised on a farm, living there until twenty-eight years of age, when he took up the study of medicine. In 1874, emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead in Albion Township, on Section 12; finished his medical course soon after and commenced the practice of medicine. At the same time he began improving his place; broke ninety acres, built a house 14x24 feet, a barn 20x40 feet, with stone basement full size for stable, planted ten acres of timber and lived on the place for ten years. Was engaged in farming and stock-raising. In the fall of 1881 he sold out and bought 240 acres on Sections 2 and 3, same township, and is preparing this place for a stock farm. He has fifty five-acres under the plow, about one acre of forest trees, a small orchard of apple trees and other fruits. Has 200 medium merino sheep, and will increase this number in a short time; he has found sheep-raising a good investment, having netted him 100 per cent per annum. He will turn what time he has outside of his practice to stock-raising; is the only physician in this part of the county and has a good practice. He was married in 1869 at Bristol, Iowa, to Miss G. A. Bowens of that place. They have five children--Bonnthie, Jennie, Mary, Gertrude and Lillie. Is a member of the Baptist Church. He was elected Treasurer of Albion Township in 1881.
JACOB S. SHOLL, farmer, P. O. Hubbell, Nebraska, was born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1826. When about four years of age, his parents moved to Ohio, where he remained twenty-two years. While in Ohio he went to Malvern and learned the wagon-makers' trade, and followed this business until 1851; then emigrated to Indiana, locating in La Porte County, and was employed in the reaper works of J. J. Mann, remaining there six years, then engaged in farming. In 1865, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving seven months. In 1874, he emigrated to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and filed on the northwest quarter of Section 10, Township 1, Range 1, and settled on this place in August, 1876. He homesteaded this place and has broken 100 acres, planted 5 acres of timber, 25 apple, 175 peach trees, besides small fruits. He has put up a good frame house 18x24 feet, tenement house 18x23 feet, granary 8x16 feet, planted nearly one mile of hedge and is raising stock, raising from 25 to 30 head of hogs annually, besides other stock. He was married in 1852 in La Porte County, Indiana, to Miss Betsey, daughter of J. J. Mann, of that place. They have seven children--Lorenzo, Colista, Clara, William F., Mary, Sarah and Lincoln.