KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


RENO COUNTY, Part 5

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (RICKSECKER - ZIMMERMAN).

G. V. RICKSECKER, was born near St. Joseph, Ind., August 4, 1837. During infancy his father moved to Hamilton County, Ohio; resided there about two years, and then settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where young Ricksecker lived until he was eighteen years of age. His father, then moved to Stark County, near Canton, Ohio, and lived at home on the farm until he was twenty years old. He then went to Bolivar, Ohio, and attended the High School at that place for one year. He then spent several years teaching and attending school and in his twenty-fourth year married Susan Shoemaker, August 30, 1860. In the fall of 1861 he went to Nashville, Tenn., and until August, 1864, was engaged in the Quartermaster's Department at that place. He then returned home and engaged in mercantile pursuits until November 5, 1866, when he and his family arrived in Ottawa, Kansas. He was Superintendent of the city schools for one term, in the spring of 1867, and then went to work at his trade as contractor and builder, in which pursuit he continued until incapacitated for work by a fall. In 1870 he moved to Pomona, Kansas, and engaged in the hardware, agricultural implement and lumber trade, until the spring of 1873, when he sold out, and arrived in Hutchinson, Kansas, on the 8th day of May, 1873. Went to work in C. C. Hutchinson's land office, selling the A., T. & S. F. R. R. lands until August 1874. The grasshopper year, the land business being entirely suspended, he was employed by the Railroad Company to purchase seed wheat for those who had lost their crops by the grasshopper invasion. He bought and distributed a little over ten thousand bushels of wheat to the farmers along the line of that railroad, beginning as Hutchinson and going as far west as Kinsley. In November, 1874, he was elected Probate Judge of Reno County, Kansas, but before taking charge of the office he was appointed as one of a committee of three to go East and solicit aid for the grasshopper sufferers. New York City was the field in which he was to work. Arrived there December 3, 1874, remained until March 13, 1875, during which time there was sent by him, or through his work, to Kansas Central Relief Committee, at Topeka, Kansas, about $7,000 in cash and $35,000 worth of clothing, tea, and such articles as would bear transportation so far. Returning home he opened a loan and law office, in connection with his duties as Probate Judge. He was re-elected in 1876 and 1878. Resigned his office in 1879 and went to Colorado. Remained in the West two years, making an extended tour through Southern Colorado and New Mexico, visiting every point of interest. Returned home in 1881, and again opened a loan, law and real estate office, in which business he is now engaged. Judge Ricksecker has been a member of the City School Board; is a member of Reno Lodge, No. 140, A., F. & A. Masons, and of Reno Chapter No. 34, R. A. Masons. He is the father of six children - Carrie E., Charles H., Edward H., Willie L., George V. and Nellie M.

[Image of N. T. P. Robertson] N. T. P. ROBERTSON M. D., came to Hutchinson, April 28, 1876, where he has been engaged in the practice of his profession and in farming pursuits. When he first visited this place in the fall of 1875, he purchased property here. The doctor was born in Mount Eden, Spencer Co., Ky., March 3, 1827. He lived there but a few years when his parents located at Hannibal, Mo., where his father died in 1833. The next year his mother removed to Jacksonville, Bourbon Co., Ky. His home was there until 1850, when he went to Union, Boone Co., Ky., where he lived for six years, then he spent one and a half years at Lexington, McLean Co., Ill., and in 1857, went to St. Louis, to attend the Missouri Medical College, before graduating, in 1859, he commenced the practice of his profession in Moniteau County, Mo. After he graduated he settled in Jamestown, the same county, remaining there until 1864, after which he removed to Fairbury, Ill., where he lived until the spring of 1876. Dr. Robertson is a member of the State Medical, and the South Kansas State Medical Societies. He was the president of the Kansas Central Medical Society, when it existed. He has filled all the chairs in the Blur Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Council. Was also Sovereign of Orient Conclave, Knight of the Holy Sepulchre and St. John, for four years, and Grand Junior General of the Grand Imperial Conclave of Illinois, for the same term. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the K. of. P., being an ancient Knight of the latter. He married near Lexington, Ill., April 14, 1839, to Eliza P. Smith, a native of Boone County, Ky. They have five children living - William K., a resident of Nickerson, Kan., Nathan smith, Fannie M., now Mrs. Charles W. Patchen, of Hutchinson, Permella P., and Evangeline. They have lost one son, who died in infancy.

H. ROGERS, livery, feed and sale stable, was born in Illinois, in 1844, and in 1861, enlisted in Company D. Seventh Regiment Iowa Infantry, and was engaged in the battle of Bellmont where he was captured and kept a prisoner for seven months, first at Memphis, Tenn., and there to Tuscaloosa, Ala., he made his escape from the latter place, May 13, 1862, and was sixteen days and nights making his way into Union lines, and rejoined his company at Corinth, Miss., and was in the second fight at that place, and at Iuka where he had the top of his ear shot off, and after that did garrison duty for a long time on the R. R. from Nashville to Chattanooga and mustered out July 24, 1864. After the war he returned to Illinois and made it his home until he came to Kansas in September, 1878, and first located near Arlington, Reno County, on a homestead and came to Hutchinson and organized present business in July, 1882. He has a roomy barn and lot large enough to accommodate from seventy-five to 100 head of horses; has five carriages, fifteen teams and does a large sale business, and it is one of the first stables built in Hutchinson. He average sales are $1,000 per month. Was married in 1867, to Miss Anna E. Doyle, a native of Missouri. Is a member of the G. A. R.

[Image of J. H. D. Rosan] JOSEPH H. D. ROSAN was born in Baltimore County, Md., October 19, 1844. Son of C. J. Rosan, one of the largest oyster, fruit, and vegetable packers of Baltimore, before the war of 1861. Lived here in the city of Monuments until he was right years of age, when he with his parents removed to St. Louis for the brief period of two years. Returning to Baltimore he attended school at Newton Academy three years, then took a collegiate course of three years. After this entered the grocery house of C. Lewis Dunlap, remaining with him for three years. Leaving here he took charge of Rosedale farm, belonging to his father, in Howard County, twenty-five miles from Baltimore, for a period of about four years. In 1867 he came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and engaged with his brother, C. W., in the grain, hide, and wool business, and remained there until January, 1870, when he came to Reno County, Kan., settling in Grant Township, on Section 4, Township 22, south of Range 6 west. After two years residence here removed to Section 31, Township 21, south of Range 6 west, in Rice County, Kan., and with his brother C. W., engaged in the stock raising business, continuing in this business for five years, at what was known as Rosan's ranch, and when Rice County was organized he and his brother Charles W. Rosan went to New York, and Joseph H. D. Rosan engaged in the real estate, loan and insurance business at Hutchinson, Kan., representing the Corbin Banking Company of New York and other large Eastern corporations. In July, 1877, he laid out the town of Saratoga, Pratt Co., Kan., which is now a prosperous and flourishing town. Is a member of the K. of P., secretary of the Cherokee Salt Manufacturing Company, and secretary of the H. A. S. & S. W. R. R. Co. Was married to Eleanor W. Whiteside, October 27, 1875, who was born near Brownsville, Tenn. They have two children living, Marshall W. and Irene W., and have lost two children.

[Editor: biography for FREDERICK RYDE moved to be alphabetical]

FREDERICK RYDE, baker, confectioner and fancy groceries. Was born in Sweden, April 27, 1841, and came to the United states in 1864, first locating in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and from there to Chicago and to Little Rock, Ark., working at his trade of baker. In 1866 he came to Kansas and stopped first in Leavenworth, working at his trade there. He worked for the railroad for a time and in June, 1872, came to Hutchinson, and thinking the prospect good here concluded to locate permanently. He was married June 18, 1872, to Miss Katie Johnston, also a native of Sweden, and they together organized his present business with only $15 capital, and by economy, industry and energy they have built up their present flourishing business. He now owns his business house and lot, situated in the best business part of the town, and carries $4,000 to $5,000 stock, and his present business is over $14,000 per year. They have four children, Oscar, Herbert, Enos, and Frederick. Is a member of the Lutheran Church and of the I. O. O. F., both subordinated and encampment.

[Editor: biography for M. SANDERS moved to be alphabetical]

M. SANDERS was born in Hanover, York Co., Pa., March 15, 1846. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K. One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until November, 1865, participating in all the battles in which his command was engaged after the battle of Chattanooga. After leaving the army he located in Dayton, Ohio, and worked at his trade of harness-making, at Florence, from which place he removed in March, 1872, to Hutchinson. He was engaged in his harness business until 1874, and for the succeeding four years in steam flouring mill and sewing machine business, returning to his old trade again at the conclusion of that time. His business, which he carried on alone at first, now requires the aid of three employes in the manufacturing department.

HON. A. R. SCHEBLE, lawyer and politician, was born in Westfield, Morrow Co., Ohio, May 17, 1849, and was educated at Capital University, Columbus, Ohio. He read law at Mansfield, Ohio, was admitted to the bar in 1870, and immediately began the practice of his profession in that city. In 1872 he removed to Napoleon, Ohio, where he resided till 1877 when, in December of that year, he located at Hutchinson, Kan., where he now resides. In 1875 he was elected Representative for Henry County to the Sixty-second General Assembly of Ohio, as a Democrat, and in June, 1877, was renominated, but declined to run on account of bad health. Since he came to Hutchinson he has practiced his profession with marked success, and in addition, from April, 1879, to June, 1882, owned and edited the Hutchinson Herald, a Democratic weekly newspaper. In 1882 he was elected Representative of the Ninety-seventh District in the Kansas Legislature, which office he now holds. Mr. Scheble was married at Napoleon, Ohio. They have three children - Max Carl, Elma Janette and A. R., Jr.

JOHN N. SHANAN, hardware merchant and money loaner, was one of the early settlers of the county. He took a homestead claim on the northwest quarter of Section 20, Township 23, Range 5 west, in Clay Township, and resided on his farm, engaged in farming and stock raising, until March, 1877. He ran the first threshing machine in the county, in 1873, one of the manufacture of Aultman & Taylor. In 1877 he removed to Hutchinson, where he engaged in the grocery business until the fall of 1878, and the two following years he was employed in loaning money. About this time he took a trip to Europe. He has been associated with E. H. Gregg in the hardware trade since January, 1881. Mr. Shanan was born near Grafton, Taylor Co., W. Va., February 16, 1845, and when two years of age removed to Edina, Knox Co., Mo., where he was engaged in farming until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.

EMANUEL SLOUGHENHOUP, brickmaker, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1839, and enlisted in 1862 in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in most of the engagements under McClellan in front of Richmond and in south Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and in the Campaign of 1864, under Grant at the Wilderness Dunwiddle Court House, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and in front of Petersburg, through the whole campaign, until the surrender of Lee's Army and was wounded three times, and mustered out in June, 1865. Came to Kansas in April, 1979, located in Hutchinson, and engaged in manufacturing brick, for which the demand is increasing rapidly.

EMANUEL SLOUGHENHOUP, brickmaker, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1839, and enlisted in 1862 in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in most of the engagements under McClellan in front of Richmond and in south Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and in the Campaign of 1864, under Grant at the Wilderness Dunwiddle Court House, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and in front of Petersburg, through the whole campaign, until the surrender of Lee's Army and was wounded three times, and mustered out in June, 1865. Came to Kansas in April, 1979, located in Hutchinson, and engaged in manufacturing brick, for which the demand is increasing rapidly.

S. H. SIDLINGER, M. D., and Mayor of Hutchinson, is a native of Massillon, Ohio, where he was born June 23, 1845. He lived there for ten years, after which he removed to Napoleon, Ohio, and entered the Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Band as second leader. Early in 1861, a year thereafter, an order was issued, discharging all bands. He then returned and immediately went out as a principal musician of the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being detailed to assist the surgeon of the regiment as hospital steward. Dr. Sidlinger was finally mustered out of the service June 20, 1865. He had practiced dentistry two years before entering the service, and afterward read medicine and practiced in the service. Returning to Ohio, he entered a drug store, where he continued the study of medicine, commencing in 1870. He pursued a four-years' course in the medical department of the Ann Arbor University of Michigan. He remained in the drug business for over eight years and practiced more or less during that time. In 1874, he went to Florida, Henry Co., Ohio, and remained there until he came to Hutchinson, in April, 1875. He has been engaged in the practice of his chosen profession ever since. Dr. Sidlinger is a stockholder in the Hutchinson Opera House Company, and has always been identified with public interests. He is now serving his second term as Mayor of the city. Has been Alderman several terms, four years County Physician, acts at present as Examining surgeon for Pensions, and has been for several years an incumbent of that position. The Doctor is surgeon of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. Co. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., BLUE Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandry, and of the A. O. U. W. He was married in Newton, Iowa, June 30, 1868, to Lucinda Welty. She was born in New Philadelphia, Ohio. They have one child - Lila.

DANIEL W. STIMMEL, proprietor of the Howard House, came to Kansas, March 16, 1874, and located in Reno county, about four ad a half miles Southwest of Hutchinson. The following January he came to Hutchinson and purchased the furniture of the Commercial Hotel, conducted that house one year. He then engaged in the grocery business for one year and subsequently conducted the city restaurant for two years. He was then engaged in bailing and shipping hay nearly tow years, and on the 6th of January, 1881, he became proprietor of the Howard House, which he purchased in October of the following year. He has also been engaged in wool-growing nearly a year, but has recently disposed of his interests in that pursuit. He has been Justice of the Peace and served as Police Judge one term. Mr. Stimmel was born near Mechanicsburg, Champaign Co., Ohio, April 8, 1832, and in 1840, removed with his father to Columbus, where he lived until 1860. He then removed to Millwork Township, Peoria County, and in August, 1862, enlisted in Company G, Seventy-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until July 10, 1865. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Mansfield, La., on the Red River expedition April 8, 1864, and confined at camp Ford, Smith Co., Texas, until May 27, 1865, returning to Illinois shortly afterward and settling in West Jersey, Starke County, where he was engaged in farming. Mr. Stimmel was married at Toulon, Ill., May 24, 1865, to Adelaide Tripplett, a native of Loudoun County, Va., They have two children - Effle M. and Roderick T. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. subordinate and encampment, and of the A. O. U. W. lodge and Encampment, and has been connected with the Methodist Episcopal, Church for about twenty years.

ROBERT E. TAYLOR, dealer in dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, boots and shoes and notions, came to Hutchinson in June, 1877, his father, Calvin Taylor, having arrived several months before. He was in partnership wit his father until the death of the latter, which occurred August 17, 18-2 and now carries on the business in which the estate still has an interest. The firm gives employment to three men besides Mr. Taylor, and carries a stock of about $13,000, doing an annual business of some $30,000. He was born near Troy, Davis Co., Iowa, March 16, 1847, and reared at Broomfield, where he was engaged in the mercantile business until he came to Kansas. He was married at Bloomfield, May 12, 1874, to Miss Ruth Alley, a native of Indianapolis, Ind. They have one child - Mary R.

WILLIAM R. TEDRICK, teacher, came to Kansas in October 18, 1878, and located in Clay Township, Reno County, teaching school there during the winter and the following spring. In 1880=81 taught two terms in Valley and Clay Township. Was employed in Hutchinson schools in 1882. He is a native of Cambridge, Guernsey Co., Ohio. Born October 17, 1856, and was educated at Cambridge, beginning to teach after he came to Kansas. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

W. R. UNDERWOOD, bookkeeper, was born in Ohio in October, 1846, and when a child moved to Indiana with his parents. His father was a merchant, and after his school days he was for a number of years in his father's store. In 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Seventy-fifth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and after three months was discharged. Re-enlisted in Company E, Seventh Regiment Indiana Cavalry, and served with his command in the West, participation in the engagements at Okolono, Guntown, Tupeio, Hurricane Creek, Oxford, and in a number of skirmishes and raids, and was made Orderly Sergeant of the company, and was mustard out September 19, 1865, on special order. After the war he was engaged in repairing telegraph lines for several years. He came to Kansas in 1876, and was employed in keeping books in his present location, in the flouring mill of West Allison & Co. He was married February 15, 1874, to Miss Alida Smith, a native of Indiana. He is a Mason in the Blue Lodge, and is a member of the G. A. R.

GEORGE C. UPDEGRAFF, merchant made his first location in Kansas at Hiawatha, in January, 1873, remaining at that point about seven months. He then removed to Springfield, Mo., and in March, 1874, came to Reno County, Kan., and settled at Bell Township, where he remained five years. On the 12th of May, 1881, he commenced the mercantile business at Nickerson. On January 12, 1882, his brother, R> H. Updegraff, became connected with him in business, and March 7, of the same year, they removed to Hutchinson, their present place of business. He was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., November 25, 1852, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas. He was married in Kansas, October 18, 1882, near Allington, Reno Co., Kan., to Florence L. Ross, a native of Center County, Pa. Mr. Updergraff is a member of the I. O. O. F.

FRANK VINCENT, Deputy Register of Deeds, was born in Georgetown, Brown Co., Ohio, May 6, 1853. When he was quite young his parent moved to Marion County, Iowa, where he lived until he came to Kansas, in 1868, on a prospecting tour. He first visited Fort Scott. In March, 1874, he located at Hutchinson. For the first five months he engaged in no active business, but then located in Castleton Township, on Section 4, Township 25, Range 6. He lived here until 1876, after which for two years he engaged in the mercantile business at Castleton. After spending another year on a farm, he was appointed Deputy Register of deeds, which position he has since held. Since 1879 Mr. Vincent has also been engaged in the real estate and loan business. He was Assessor of Castleton Township when it embraced Albion, and part of Haven and Sumner. Mr. Vincent was married near Charlton, Lucas Co., Iowa, august 20, 1874, to Annie E. Payne, a native of Knox County, Ill. They have four children - Annie E., John F., George O., and Mary Sophia.

[Image of H. Whiteside] HOUSTON WHITESIDE, attorney-at-law, settled in Hutchinson, Kan., in May, 1872, and established the Hutchinson News, issuing the first paper on July 4, 1872. In November, 1872, he was elected County Attorney of Reno County, and held that office until January, 1877, and has a number of times represented his county in State and congressional conventions. He also held the office of City Attorney for three years and has been engaged in the practice of law since Mach 1, 1873. He is one of the directors of the Reno County State Bank and one of the incorporators of the Hutchinson Lumber Company. Mr. Whiteside is also engaged in Farming and the cattle business, in money loaning operations, and is interested in some mines in Colorado. He was born six miles north of Shelbyville, Tenn., October 6, 1848, and received his education in the public schools of his native town and at Francina Institution at Middleton, Tenn. He read law with an uncle, Thomas C. Whiteside, one of the directors of the Chattanooga & Nashville Railroad, and was admitted to the bar of Tennessee. His family were Unionists during the war, and he has always been identified with the Republican party. Mr. Whiteside had charge of a cotton plantation in Mississippi in 1870. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Blue Lodge. He is quite wealthy and occupies a high standing, both in society and in business circles. Not with standing his various interests he has not neglected his profession, but on the contrary keeps in the front rank, both as counselor and as an advocate. His office is one of the best appointed in the State and his practice wide. Though often pressed by his friends, on account of business engagements Mr. Whiteside has steadily refused to run for office.

E. WILCOX settled in Topeka in May, 1869, and was engaged in the hardware trade at that point until January, 1872, when he came to Hutchinson. He was engaged in the hardware and implement trade in partnership with S. Lehman until the spring of 1878, when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Wilcox carried on the business alone until January 1, 1882, since which time Mr. Dice, a particle machinist, has been associated with him. In 1879 he opened a machine shop in connection with his regular business, and in 1882, added a foundry. Their business is principally job work, though they manufacture iron storefronts, windmills and pumps. Their hardware business has increased from $10,00, in 1872, to $100,00. Mr. Wilcox was Postmaster in 1872, and erected the first brick block in town. He was the first County Treasurer of Reno County, serving in that capacity from 1872, until 1875, and has served as Mayor two terms and also as Alderman two terms. He was the first president of the Reno County State Bank and is vice-president of the White Pine Mining Company of Colorado, having headquarters at Hutchinson; also a director of the Gunnison County Mining Company of Colorado. Mr. Wilcox is a native of Trenton, Oneida Co., N. Y., and lived in Jefferson County, N. Y., and Oberlin, Ohio, until he came to Kansas. He was married in Oberlin, Ohio, August 8, 1850, to Emma Ames, a native of Beckett, Mass. They have two children - Edward Berdett and Nettie. He is a member if the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge and Chapter.

THOMAS WILSON, of the firm of Smith & Wilson, came to Hutchinson August 1, 1882, and has been a member of the firm since that time. From August 12 until November 27, the firm sold fifty-two organs and seven pianos, besides handling other musical instruments and publications. Since Mr. Wilson became a member of the firm they have added a jewelry department to their business, dealing in clocks at wholesale and retail, and have four agencies at different points in the State. Mr. Wilson is a native of West Somersetshire, England, and came to America in 1870. He resided in New York State, engaged in railroad work on the A., T. & S. R. R. in Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas for over four years, being a conductor on that road, when he left their employ to go into his present business with Mr. Smith. He is a member of the K. of H.

G. W. WINANS came to Kansas and settled in Douglas County, in the winter of 1868-69, and was engaged in teaching in Eudora, in that county, for two or three years. IN 1872 he was a candidate for County Superintendent, and in 1874 went to Waterville, Marshall County, where he taught school for five years. In 1876 he was elected County Superintendent, and in 1881 went with Government surveying party to the Pan-handle of the Indian Territory. He returned to Topeka in December, 1881, and in January, 1882 went to Hutchinson and taught school for about four months. He was then engaged on institute work for two months, after which he again took charge of his school until the summer of 1883. He was born in Preston Hollow, Albany Co., N. Y., August 15, 1846, and lived there until he was thirteen years of age. He then attended the High School in New York city for three years, after which he taught school in New York state until he was twenty-two or twenty-three years of age, when he came to Kansas. Mr. Winans is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. He was married at Blue Rapids, Kan., November 29, 1876, to Flora B. Green, a native of Bentonspot, Van Buren Co., Iowa. They have one child, Louise.

CHARLES B. WINSLOW, druggist, settled in Hutchinson in May, 1872, and has since been engaged in his present business, in partnership with L. H. Albright. At first they did a purely retail business, but since 1874 have done considerable jobbing in the southwestern portion of the State. Their first store was 25x25 feet, but several additions and improvements have been made and they now do the largest business in their line in the southern part of the State. Mr. Winslow has been Township Treasurer for eight years and City Treasurer for two years, and secretary and one of the directors of the Hutchinson Opera House. He was born in Boston, Mass., October 28, 1838, and that was his home until fifteen years of age, when he went to Pittsburgh, Pa., making that his home until he came to Kansas. He was married at Pittsburgh, Pa., to Emma Cupples, a native of that city. They have two children, Annie L. and Harry D. Mr. Winslow is a member of the I. O. O. F., subordinate lodge and encampment, and of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.

W. L. WINSLOW, dentist, was born in Randolph County, N. C., February 10, 1832. Removing to the neighborhood of Marion, Grant County, Ind., he commenced the practice of his profession there in 1861. Here he resided for ten years, when he went to Kokomo, Howard County, Ind., which place he made his home until he came to Kingman County, Kansas, in January, 1878. Dr. Winslow located at Hutchinson in March, 1879. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and the A. O. U. W. He married in Berlin Clinton County, Ind., July 17, 1853, to Lindamira McLeland, a native of Wayne County, Ind. They have five children: Alfareta, Hezekiah T., Alianson (Allanson) M., E. Belle, and Lenna R.

JAMES A. YOUNG, druggist, settled in Hutchinson, November 21, 1875, and has been engaged in mercantile business, in partnership with his brother John H., since June 1, 1878, in the drug and fancy goods business. He was born in Cicero, Onondaga County, N. Y., November 7, 1847, and lived in his native town until 1866, when he located in Syracuse, N. Y. In 1872 he removed to Chicago, and remained there until he came to Kansas, engaged in the carpenter business. He was married on Pretty Prairie, Reno Co., Kan., October 23, 1877, to Dora N. Eraham, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one child, John W.

JOHN H. YOUNG, druggist, came to Kansas May 15, 1873, and settled at Syracuse, where he was engaged in the drug business until March 8, 1874, when he removed to Hutchinson. He has been engaged in mercantile business since his arrival here, for the last four years in drug business. Mr. Young was born in Cicero, Onondaga County, N> Y>, June 22, 1850, and remained there until fifteen years of age. He then went to Syracuse, N. Y., and in the spring of 1871 removed to Colorado, making that his home until he came to Kansas. He engaged in the furniture business at Trinidad, Col., while in that State. Mr. Young is a member of the A., F. & A. M. He was married March 8, 1874, at Syracuse, Kan., to Eva A. Hand, a native of Warners, Onondaga Co., N. Y. They have three children, Mable A., Bertie L., and Lulu A.

SAMUEL B. ZIMMERMAN, Probate Judge, came to Kansas in October, 1872. He was born in Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio, July 30, 1842 In 1852, his parents removed to Iowa, locating four miles from Iowa City, Johnson County. He entered the Iowa University in 1860, and he enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, Thirteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He remained in the same county, but was transferred to the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and afterwards to the Seventh Iowa Cavalry. Mr. Zimmerman entered the service as a private, but soon after was made a Lieutenant and commanded a company in the Eighth Regiment. After being mustered out of service in March, 1866, he returned to Iowa and again entered the University at Iowa City, taking a three years' course. In 1870, he went to Warrensburg, Mo., and acted as manager of the Journal until he came to Kansas in 1872. Returning to Warrensburg he acted in the dame capacity during the winter of 1872-73; came back to Kansas during the following summer, and became again connected with a Warrensburg paper in the winter of 1873-74. In the spring of 1874 he became a permanent resident to Hutchinson, and in September, 1874, Principal of the Hutchinson schools. He taught three years and then commenced the practice of law, which he hash continued ever since. Judge Zimmerman had been admitted to the bar, in 1872, while a resident of Warrensburg. He was elected to his present position by the Republicans in November, 1880, and re-elected in 1882, having served a short time by appointment, prior to his first election. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Reno Lodge, No. 140, Chapter 34, and of Joseph Hooker Post, G. A. R. Judge Zimmerman was married in Page County, Iowa, to Anna B. English, on July 22, 1879. She is a native of Carroll County, Ill.

[TOC] [part 6] [part 4] [Cutler's History]