|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALLBRIGHT - GREGG).
L. H. ALLBRIGHT, druggist, settled in Hutchinson, April 1, 1873, and with Mr. Charles B. Winslow engaged in the drug business, building the first stoner brick building west of Emporia, which, with additions, they still occupy. Their business amounts to about $20,000 per annum, exclusively drugs, having increased from about $5,000 the first year. Mr. Allbright is secretary of the White Pine Gold and Silver Mining Company in the Tomichi Mining District of Colorado. He has a very fine collection of minerals, fossils, etc., gathered from all parts of the world. Mr. Allbright is a native of Dalton, Wayne Co., Ohio, born November 15, 1847, and when twelve years of age removed to Orville, Ohio, thence to Clinton, Ohio. He afterwards lived at Wooster, Ohio, about one year, and subsequently at Canton, Ohio, two years. He is a graduate of the Pharmaceutical Department of Baldwin University at Bera, Ohio, where he received the degree of bachelor of medicine, and was in the drug business a short time at Akron, Ohio, subsequent to leaving college, then removed to Pittsburg, making that his home until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association, Kansas State Pharmaceutical Association and the A., F. & A. M.
W. T. ATKINSON settled in Holton, Jackson Co., Kan., in 1871, and was engaged in the mercantile business at that point until April, 1873, when he came to Hutchinson. He was engaged in the clothing business here until March, 1875, when he entered the office of the County Treasurer, serving as deputy two terms, then as Treasurer for the same length of time. Since October, 1882, he has been employed as a book-keeper and has also been somewhat interested in insurance business. Mr. Atkinson is the originator of the Hutchinson Opera House Company, and is now president and manager of the Opera House. He is native of London, Eng., born July 9, 1848, and came to America with his parents in 1851 and located in Erie County, N. Y., near Buffalo. About one year later they removed to Indiana, and in 1856 to Shelbyville, Ill., where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married in Shelbyville, Ill., November 25, 1873, to Laura F. Kelley, a native of that town. They have two children - Lloyd Hardy and Lee Kelley.
E. BANE, farmer, was born in West Virginia, April 3, 1843, and moved with his parents to Illinois when a child. Enlisted in Company I. Forty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Infantry, in August, 1861, and served with his command in the Department of the West, and participated in the campaign against New Madrid and taking of Island No. 10, Shiloh, Siege of Corinth, Iuka, second fight at Corinth, Holly Springs, and in the fighting and different engagements in rear of Vicksburg and at the capture of that place, and was in the expedition to Meridian, Miss., and the next day after his return, started on the Red River expedition, under A. J. Smith, and engaged in the fights at Fort De Russy and Pleasant Hill, and was for two weeks constantly under fire, covering the retreat of the army and helped build the dam on Red River to get the fleet out of the hands of the Rebels, and was in the fights at Cain River and Zellory Bayou, and was wounded by a shell and left for dead at Marksville Prairie, and was in the fight at Lake Chicot and veteranized and furloughed in July, 1864. After furlough, returned to his command at Memphis and engaged in the fight at Tupelo, then at Duval's Bluff, and followed Price in his raid into Missouri, and was engaged at the Big Blue fight, and from there went to Nashville and engaged there and followed Hood to Eastport, and was in the siege of Mobile, and taking of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely, and mustered out January 21, 1866. Came to Kansas in 1871, first located in Greenwood County, and remained until 1874, when he returned to Illinois and came back in 1878, and located in Hutchinson. Was married May 20, 1870, to Miss Sarah Bishop, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children - Irene, Harley and Fanny. Is a member of the G. A. R.
GEORGE D. BARCLAY, Police Judge, was born in Allegheny City, Pa., June 3, 1844. In May 1861, enlisted in Ewing's Battery G, First West Virginia Light Artillery, and served with his command in Virginia and Maryland, participating in a great many engagements, among others Camp Allegheny, McDowell, Cross Keys, Freeman's Ford. Sulpher Springs, Waterloo Bridge, and Second Bull Run. His command was then sent back to West Virginia, and he was in the engagements at Beverly, Rocky Gap, and Droop Mountain, and with Gen. W. W. Averill, on his raid to Salem, and with Gen. Sigel, at the battle of New Market. Was discharged on expiration of service at Wheeling, Va., June 20, 1864. Re- enlisted in Company M. One hundredth Pennsylvania Infantry, and was with his company and regiment in front of Petersburg until Lee's surrender. Mustered out of service at Harrisburg, Pa., July 22, 1865. In 1867 he went to Nebraska, and was made Frist Lieutenant of a company of Pawnee Scouts, under Maj. Frank North. Was with Gen. Carr in his fight at Lillian Springs, Col., and after two years hard service on the plains, was mustard out at Columbus, Neb., December 20, 1869. He came to Kansas November 13, 1871, and took a homestead in Reno County, and engaged in farming until 1878, when he went to Trinidad, Col., and started a hotel. After two years he went to Las Vegas, New Mexico, and started a newspaper, the Las Vegas Opitic. Returning to Hutchinson, Kan., in 1880, he was elected Justice of the Peace for Reno township, and re-elected in February, 1882. Was elected Police Judge of Hutchinson in 1880, and reelected in three times in succession. He was married February 14, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Shuster, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Maude, Stella, Bessie and Andrew. He is a Mason, and past grand of the I. O. O. F., and past commander of Joe Hooker Post, No. 17, G. A. R.
J. P. BATCHELER, general merchant, located at Atchison, 1871, where he remained two years, and then removed to Valley Falls, Jefferson County. On the 2d of June, 1882, he came to Hutchinson, having been employed for several years prior to that time as traveling salesman. Since coming to Hutchinson, Mr. B. has been employed in the mercantile pursuits, and is now doing considerable jobbing business. He was born at Utica, Oneida Co., N. Y., June 12, 1832. When nine years of age moved with his parents to Linn County, Mo., where he remained until he came to Atchison. He was married at Valley Falls, Kan., May 18, 1882, to Mettie V. Beland, a native of Valley Falls, Kan. Mr. Batcheler is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of the Northwestern Traveling Mens' Association.
J. M. BEAM, Constable, was born in Licking County, Ohio, March 8, 1848. In 1863 he enlisted in Company C, Seventy-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command in the Fifteenth Corps, and participated in the battle of Lookout Mountain, and all the general engagements of the Atlanta Campaign, as well as a great many skirmishes and minor engagements. After the taking of Atlanta, followed Hood back to the Tennessee River, and returned and joined Sherman's army, just as they started on the trip to the sea, and participated in that campaign, and north through the Carolinas and was on the skirmish line when they entered Columbia, S. C., and among the first in that city, and the city was on fire when they entered it, and engaged in his last fight at Bentinsville, N. C. After the surrender of Joe Johnston's army, marched to Washington City, and participated in the Grand Review, and mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in July, 1865, and discharged at Columbus, Ohio. After the war he returned to Ohio, and remained there until 1871, when he came to Kansas, and located on Section 26, Reno Township, Reno County, and engaged in farming until 1877, when he removed to Hutchinson, and engaged in business for two years. Then went to Colorado, and remained there until 1882, when he returned and located in Hutchinson, and was elected Constable, and is now acting in that capacity. Was County Commissioner in 1876-77. Was married April 16, 1868, to Miss Emma Huff, a native of Ohio. They have two children - Frank M. and Blanche. Is a mason.
J. W. BEDWELL, proprietor of Howard House, was born in Indiana, January 9, 1856, and came to Kansas with his parents in the fall of 1859. His early life was spent on the border, in the counties of Bourbon, Douglas and Leavenworth, during the border troubles and the War of the Rebellion. In 1864, his parents moved to California, crossing the plains, being six months on the way, having to frequently fight the Indians, and remained in California eighteen months, then moved to Roseburg, Douglas Co., Ore., and remained there until 1876, when he returned to Kansas, and located at Fort Scott, where he was married April 18, 1877, to Miss Malinda Troy, a native of West Virginia, who died November 22, 1880, leaving one child - Laura. He was married the second time, October 30, 1881, to Miss Della Wohlfart, a native of Ohio. They have one child - George H. He came to Hutchinson in 1882, and engaged in the hotel business.
THOMAS H. BEDWELL was born in Philadelphia, Penn., November 1, 1831, and made it his home until 1852, when he went to Indiana, where he was married in 1854, to Miss Margaret A. McCalister. In 1859, they moved to Kansas, and located on the Marmaton River, in Bourbon County, and settled on a farm, and commenced improvements in 1860. The season being very dry, they had no crops, no turnips, and were without bread; but in 1861, they had an abundant crop of everything, but the raiders came in from Missouri, and captured the Union men, and killed all they found who had served under Jim Lane, and although Mr. Bedwell had been thirty days with Jim, his Pro-slavery friends saved him, by representing him as one of them. After the party left, they told him to get way at once, as they could not protect him another time. So he had to sacrifice his goods, and a farm, which has since proven to be very valuable, taking just what he could get and fleeing to Douglas County, he located in Prairie City, where they were living at the time of the Quantrell raid on Lawrence; at that time they had a sick child, who died that night; they set fire to the house after the child was buried. Then moved to Leavenworth County, where they remained until 1864, when they crossed the plains to California, and remained there eighteen months, then went to Roseburg, Douglas Co., Ore., and lived there until November, 1876; they returned to Fort Scott, Kan., and died January 25, 1876, leaving his wife, Mrs. M. O. Bedwell, with four children - J. W., Jessie R., Arthur S., and Harrie G. Both Mr. and Mrs. Bedwell are members of the Baptist Church.
JOHN B. BROWN settled in Hutchinson, in May, 1872, and has been engaged in the real estate business most of the time since, having been agent for the land department of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. for the last seven years. He has been in partnership with L. A. Bigger since October, 1872, during which time they have located not less than 25,000 acres of land, under the homestead act. In nine months, in 1882, they sold over 100,000 acres of land, in Reno, Rice, McPherson, Kingman, Pratt and Stafford counties, the unimproved railroad lands ranging from $4 to $6 per acre. They represented the A., T. & S. F. R. R. for the sale of all its lands in Reno County, where there are still fully 100,000 acres of railroad land unsold. Mr. Brown is a native of Attica, Seneca Co., Ohio, where he lived until September 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry serving that regiment until September, 1865. He then returned to Ohio, and located Napoleon, Herny Co., where he remained until 1868. He then lived in South Carolina for one year, and from there removed to Ottawa, Kan., where he remained, engaged in farming, until he came to Hutchinson. Mr. Brown was once Mayor of Hutchinson, and has served as Police Judge. He is also a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge. He was married at Napoleon, Ohio, February 15, 1872, to Elmira Roff, a native of that place.
HON. W. R. BROWN was born in Buffalo, N. Y., July 16, 1843. He received his education at Phillips Academy, Exeter, N. H., and at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., from which institution he graduated in July, 1862. The same year he removed to Lawrence, Kansas, where he read law with ex-Gov. Wilson Shannon. IN 1863 he removed to Topeka, where he served as Deputy Clerk of the Supreme Court and was Journal Clerk of the House of Representatives during the sessions of 1866 and 1867. In 1866 he made his home at Emporia, Kansas, and entered upon practice of the law with Judge R. M. Ruggles. In 1867 he removed to Cottonwood Falls in Chase County, and was elected that same fall as District Judge of the Ninth Judicial District of Kansas, and served in that capacity till March 1, 1875, when re resigned, having in the fall of 1874 then elected to Congress from the Third Congressional District of the State. He served but one term, and has since 1877 been engaged in the practice of the law. He moved from Cottonwood Falls to Hutchinson in 1873, and is still a resident of Hutchinson, and member of the law firm of Brown & Zimmerman. Judge Brown was married in Lawrence, Kan., October 28, 1868, to Miss Elizabeth E. Balcom, a native of Worcester County, Mass. They have two children - Margaret and William. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and was a charter member and first master of the lodge at Cottonwood Falls. He is also a member of I. O. O. F.
S. W. CAMPBELL, cashier of Reno County State Bank, came to Hutchinson in April, 1876; organized the above named bank and has been its cashier ever since. He is a native of Gentry County, Mo.; in October, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Fifth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, and served four years, being a non-commissioned officer at the time of his discharge. He was then employed in the hardware business, in St. Joseph, Mo., until 1873, and was subsequently engaged in banking, being assistant cashier of the St. Joseph savings bank. He was married at St. Joseph, in May, 1869, to Emma Lee Keedy, a native of that city. They have three children - Fred F., Reuben C. and Daniel Keedy.
G. W. CARPENTER, was born in Stephentown, near Lebanon Springs, N. Y., August 22, 1834. In 1859, he removed from his native county to New York City, and remained there until 1865, when he came west as far as Illinois, and located in Grundy County, living in Morris and in Chicago, prior to his removal to Kansas. He was married in Stephentown, N. Y., November 6, 1856, to Diana Howard, a native of that place, and has three children - Fred H., Minnie L. and Florence. In June, 1871, he came to Kansas and located at Newton. In the following October he took a claim on the southwest quarter of Section 4,Township 23, Range 5, W. Clay Township. He spent the winter of 1871 in Wichita and graded the A., T. & S. F. R. R. through Newton, commencing grading on the Wichita branch in September, 1871, and finishing the contract in February 1872. The following March, 1872, he did about three miles of grading on the road east of Hutchinson, and the last of the same month commenced farming in Clay Township, continuing on the farm until March, 1881, when he moved to Hutchinson and engaged in the livery, trading and dealing in horses, and also dealing in coal. Mr. C. was Township Trustee in Clay Township two years. He is a member of the A. O. U. W.
WILLIAM S. CLAYPOOL was born at North Salem, Ind., August 6, 1853. After remaining there but six weeks his parents removed to Peoria County, Ill., near Farmington. He lived there five years; returned to Indiana and resided there for eleven years. In 1869 he went to live in Hancock County, Ill., and during the same winter to Henry County, Ill. In the spring of 1870 his parents settled with him in Rallis County, Mo. He remained there until the spring of 1876, his father, John Wesley Claypool, locating on Section 6, Township 23, Range 7, Salt Creek Township, where he still resides. He is now a representative from the Ninety-eighth Assembly District. This has been the home of William S. Claypool since that time. Nine months after coming here, however, he returned to Abingdon, Ill., and attended Hedding College for two terms, preparing himself to teach and practice law. In 1878, he returned to Reno County, Kansas, and taught school three winters. He began prospecting for mines in Colorado in April, 1881, having now an interest in the Gunnison County Mining Company, and also the coin silver mine and tunnel site, which is represented by the Montgomery County Gold and Silver Mining Company; also one- quarter interest in the Eila Rea Mine, and one-quarter interest in the Lilley Mine, all located at White Pine, in Gunnison County, Tomicha Mining District.
F. R. CHRISMAN was born March 17, 1846, in Pulaski County, Ky. He was the son of a farmer, and raised to that business. After arriving at manhood he was employed for three years as a teacher in the public schools of Pulaski County, Ky. In 1870 he removed to Hillsboro, Ill., where he engaged in the mercantile business for three and a half years, with marked success. He afterward assisted in the organization of the Farmers' Exchange Bank at that place, and was cashier of that institution until he left for Hutchinson, Kansas, September 19, 1873, he was married to Mary J. Slayback, of Hillsboro, Ill. They have three children now living - Joseph F., Mabel I. and Dora. Mr. Chrisman arrived with his family in Hutchinson February 18, 1875. He was engaged in the harness trade from 1876 to 1878, and in the book and stationery trade from 1878 to November, 1882, when he again retired from the mercantile pursuits, having large real estate and live stock interests. He is now giving his attention to these investments, and is one of the largest and most successful wool growers in Reno County. Mr. Chrisman is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Commandery, A., F. & A. M. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a delegate from the South Kansas Conference to the General Conference of that church, held at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1880.
H. CONSTANT, grain dealer, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., July 25, 1842, and made it his home until he came to Kansas in 1872, and located in Hutchinson, and started a blacksmith shop, and followed that business until the country being developed, and the grain interest of becoming sufficient magnitude, in 1874 he commenced buying and shipping grain, and was the second dealer in that line in Hutchinson. In July, 1882, he organized the same business in Burrton, Harvey County, and up to the 1st of March, 1883, has shipped from that point over 43,000 bushels of grain. Was married, December 28, 1865, to Miss Ada Briney, a native of Ohio. They have three children - Frank, Nettie and Nina. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.
REV. J. W. CROW was born near Harrietsville, Noble Co., Ohio, October 13, 1857. That was his home until he came to Hutchinson, in April, 1878. While in Ohio he attended both High and Normal schools, and after coming to Kansas he taught two years. During that period he also attended Normal school two fall terms, and part of another. Prior to coming to Hutchinson, Mr. Crow had pursued his theological studies, and been engaged in evangelical work, joining the Southern Kansas Conference, March 1, 1880. His first charge was at Little River, Rice County, where he remained one year. During this time he also preached at Highland, Bluffville, and Mule Creek. In 1881 he was stationed at Matfield Green, in the southern part of Chase County, preaching also at Bazaar, Rock Creek, Prairie Hill, and Valley Center. He continued there until March, 1882, when he was obliged to relinquish work, on account of ill-health. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Crow was married in Hutchinson, June 29, 1880, to Lynda Schafer. She is a native of Harrietsville, Noble Co., Ohio. They have one daughter, Nellie. Mr. Crow is a son of Martin Crow, who came to Hutchinson in March, 1878. Although he lives in town, he has been engaged in farming most of the time since coming to Hutchinson. He is a native of Ohio also.
THEO. A. DECKER, editor of the Hutchinson Herald, was born in the town of Adamsville, Muskingum Co., Ohio, February 11, 1847. He resided in that county until he came to Kansas, acting as correspondent and local editor prior to entering the army, in 1863. In August of that year he enlisted in Company E, Ninety-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was mustarded out of the service in October, 1865, having acted as war correspondent of the Cincinnati Gazette. After leaving the service he returned to Zanesville, and was for a time employed as a teacher, at the same time engaging in newspaper work. He continued in these occupations until he came to Hutchinson, in 1879. He then commenced to read law, and now associates its practice with editorial work.
W. C. DEVIER settled in Topeka in January, 1870, and remained there until he came to Hutchinson, in June, 1872. He was employed in the Reno House two years, and then engaged in the grocery and drug business, under the firm name of Devier & Blackburn, where J. F. Blackburn is now located. He sold out his interest March 20, 1882, and is now a member of the firm of West, Allison & Co., proprietors of the First Water Mill. He is also engaged in the stock business, having about 500 head of cattle, and since December, 1882, has been interested in the grocery and queensware trade. He was a member of the Allison-Devier Mercantile Co., until October, 1882. Mr. Devier is a native of Shenandoah Valley, Va., born January 7, 1852, and lived there until 1869, when he removed to Boone County, in the same state, remaining there until he came to Kansas. He was married in Hutchinson, January, 1878 to Alice Burrell, a native of Wisconsin. They have on child, Mary.
R. M. EASLEY, Postmaster and proprietor of the Hutchinson News, settled in Hutchinson in November, 1875, and was employed as a teacher in the county schools six months. He then accepted a position as clerk, and six months later became assistant principal of the Hutchinson schools, acting in that capacity for one year. He then assumed control of the Interior for about six months, and subsequently founded and published the St. John Advance at St. John, Stafford County, for one year. He bought the Hutchinson News January 1, 1881, and has since published and edited that paper. Mr. Easley has always been identified with the Republican party, and the paper with which he has been connected have always been exponents of the principles of that party. He is a native of Schuyler County, Ill., and lived in Knox and Adams counties prior to coming to Kansas. He was married at Mechanicsburg, Ohio, February 23, 1881, to Minerva J. Cheney, a native of Urbana, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Easley are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GEORGE T. EMPEY, proprietor of the Arlington Mill, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., July 11, 1839, and when seventeen years of age moved to Stephenson County, Ill., making that his home until he came to Hutchinson, January 15, 1874. He was engaged in the grocery business for about seven years, and in 1877 built the mill at Arlington, operating it in company with A. K. Burrell until 1881. The mill was started with two run of stone, but now has four, with a capacity of about 200 bushels of wheat per day. Mr. Empey is one of the Alderman of the city, and is serving his second term in that capacity. He was married at Beloit, Ill., December 4, 1862, to Sarah Knoor, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children - Clarence B., James L., and Mable A.
MARK M. EVANS was born in Berwick, Columbia Co., Pa., September 13, 1835, and lived in that county until 1852, when he removed to Dixon, Ill., making his home there and in that vicinity until he came to Kansas. He enlisted May 24, 1861, in Company A, Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until August 12, 1865, participating in all the engagements of his command, and was never wounded or sick while in the service. July 10, 1872, Mr. Evans took a soldier's homestead on Section 10, Castleton Township, Reno Co., Kas., and after living on his claim about one year moved to Hutchinson, where he was engaged in painting about two years. He then returned to Dixon, Lee Co., Ill., and lived there until 1880, at which time he came back to Hutchinson, where he has since been engaged in selling agricultural implements and hardware. He was married at Dixon, Ill., in July, 1867, to Ellen S. Hill, a native of Ohio, born near Sandusky. They have two children - Amanda May and Lulu J.
H. C. FREEMAN, merchant and painter, of the firm of Ryde & Freeman, dealers in paints, oils, glass, putty, wall-paper and painter's supplies generally, came to Kansas in 1875, locating in Hutchinson and commenced working at his trade of painter. The same year he and MR. Chas. J. Ryde, a native of Sweden, associated in the present business, and by energy and management have a good business with a capital of $1,500 to $2,000, and they also work five hands, and are the leading firm in the business. Was born in Ohio, September 27, 1850, and went to Illinois in 1865, and has spent a number of years in Memphis and New Orleans. His father was a dealer in carriages and buggies and had a large trade in the South and Mr. Freeman was engaged with him. Was married, in 1873, to Miss Margaret Myers, a native of Illinois. Is a member of the Ancient Order of Foresters.
J. A. GRAYSON, came to Hutchinson April 13, 1872, locating on Section 4, Township 24, Range 6. He lived there until December 1874. Prior to coming to town he spent two winters on the buffalo range, his party killing 642 buffalo. When he came to Hutchinson he engaged in the coal, hay and grain business. In 1880 he commenced to deal in farm machinery. He has added to this a full line of agricultural implements and is also operating his farm, being largely interested in wool growing. He is a member of the Opera House Company and has mining interests in the Tomichi District, Gunnison Co., Col. Mr. Grayson is also one of the directors of the Montgomery County Gold and Silver Mining Company, head-quarters at Dayton, Ohio, and White Pine, Col. Gen. E. F. Brown, General Inspector of the National Soldiers' Home, is president. Mr. Grayson was born in Ritchie County, W. Va., about eighteen miles from Parkersburg, May 24, 1845. He lived there until August, 1861, then enlisted in Company D, Sixty West Virginia Volunteer Infantry, and served until he was mustered out at Wheeling, June 12, 1865. He was wounded in Calhoun County, W. VA., August 28, 1864; he had his right leg amputated on August 8, 1865. In 1867, he removed from West Virginia to Middleport, Meigs Co., Ohio, and in 1869 he went to the National Military Asylum at Dayton, Ohio, having charge of the dining-room and the barracks most of the time until he came to Kansas in 1872.Mr. Grayson was married at Chester, Ohio, January 1, 1874, to Mary L. Garen, daughter of Milton Garen, a merchant of that town. Mr. Grayson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., having filled all the chairs of that order. He is at present chief patriarch of the Encampment, and has been quartermaster of G. A. R. since the first quarter of its existence. He is also treasurer of the Equitable Aid Union.
E. H. GREGG, hardware merchant, was born in Belmont, Belmont Co., Ohio, March 20, 1834. He was married in Napoleon, Ohio, September, 1862, to Minnie E. Schribner, a native of Henry County, Ohio, and has three children - Bertha M., Edwin S. and Franklin H. From Napoleon Mr. Gregg removed and settled in Hutchinson, in the fall of 1875, where he engaged in cattle raising and stock dealing until January, 1877, since when he has been in the hardware business.
J. A. GREGG, proprietor of livery stable and veterinary surgeon, came to Hutchinson November 20, 1877, and has practiced his profession in the place since 1878. He was born in Scotland, and from an early age reared in Castile, Wyoming Co., N. Y. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company F. Fifth New York Cavalry, and served until July, 1865. He was taken prisoner at Amosville, Va., July 24, 1863, and remained a captive on Belle Island until February, 1864, when he was taken to Andersonville, where he was kept until April, 1865, and then paroled. After he left the army he returned to Castile and thence came to Kansas. He has been a veterinary surgeon for sixteen years.