|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The Kansas Central Railroad Company filed a plat of this town, November 12, 1878, which is located on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of the southest quarter of Section 21, Town 6, Range 12. In 1882, a neat two-story stone schoolhouse was erected, two teachers being employed. The name of the postoffice at this station is Havenville.
There are this year (1882) three churches in the town. The Baptists erected a neat frame church edifice in the spring of 1880. Rev. Mr. Dick, of Circleville, is the pastor.
The Church of the Disciples, a thriving society, also erected a frame structure in the autumn of 1881. Their pastor is Rev. R. L. Downing.
The Methodist Episcopal Church erected a frame building in the spring of 1881. Rev. H. A. Pasley is pastor.
In 1880, the Masonic Order formed a lodge, which is prospering; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows organized in 1881; the Ancient Order of United Workmen in 1882. These societies are growing, and their members are active workers.
Paul E. Havens, President of the Kansas Central Town Company, filed a plat of Onaga, October 15, 1877. To it there was an addition made November 6, 1878. It is a growing and prosperous town on the Kansas Central. In January, 1878, Amos E. Landon and J. B. Hubbell, with their families, were the only people on the town site.
The town has a neat stone school building. The Baptists have started an organization; the Catholics have rebuilt their frame structure, which had been damage by a cyclone. The Congregationalists have an organization, and the Methodist have a neat frame structure which cost $4,000. The Onage Journal was established May 9, 1878, Carnes & Stauffer, editors and proprietors. Samuel A. Stauffer bought the interests of Mr. Carnes in about three weeks, and is the present manager. It is Republican in its politics.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - MILL CREEK TOWNSHIP.
JAMES B. ATTRILL, live-stock merchant, Havenville, was born in Ottawa, Canada, September 12, 1852. At the age of four years, he removed with his parents to the United States locating in Chicago, where he lived until 1863, when he went to England, remaining abroad until 1867, when he returned to America, settling in Baltimore, Md. He was educated at Philips' Exeter Academy, graduating in 1871. In the same year, he went to Dakota Territory and engaged in trade at Richland, Union County, with a general stock of merchandise. In 1872, he moved to St. Louis, and was in the employ of the La Clede Gas Company for a short time. The same year, he went to Salt Lake City, and was book-keeper for John A. McDonald & Co., for three years. In 1876, moved to Marysville, Mo., and was in business with W. H. H. Myres in sewing machines, musical instruments and merchandise, which continued two years. In 1878, engaged with H. Hoofman, music dealer, as traveling salesman. In the following year, he became general agent to Kansas for the Mason & Hamlin Organ Company.. February, 1880, he moved to Pottawatomie County, and purchased a farm. The following year, he bought the hardware store of C. N. Points, and continued until February, 1882, when he closed the business and began buying and shipping live stock. He belongs to the Masonic order, the I. O. O. F., and the A. O. U. W. He was married, October 29, 1878, at Holton, Kansas, to Miss Aridne Lewis. They have two children - Helen, born, October 3, 1879, and Edmund L., August 29, 1881.
WILLIAM F. CHALLIS, attorney-at-law, Onaga, was born in Pontiac, Livingston Co., Ill., August 16, 1857. When ten years old, his parents removed with him to Kansas, settling at Wamego, Pottawatomie County. He was educated in the high school of that city. He studied law with R. S. Heick, of Louisville, and was admitted to the bar at the March, 1880, term of the District Court for Pottawatomie County. He moved to Onaga, and has been in practice there since. He is a notary public. He was married, July 10, 1879, at Louisville, Kans., to Miss Lizzie Riddell. They have two children - Leon, born April 11, 1880, and Ray, born June 10, 1882.
REV. M. C. COATES, P. O. Havenville, was born in Coatesville, Chester Co., Pa., August 30, 1819. Learned the carpenter's trade, and was a builder in Philadelphia. He was married in Camden, Del., to Miss Mary Ann Palmer, March 9, 1843, and in 1844, came to Stark County, Ohio. In 1850, came to Akron, Ohio; in 1863, came to Wharton, Wyandotte Co., Ohio; in 1875, came to Kansas, settling in Pottawatomie County, two and a half miles south of Havenville. He is engaged in raising stock, and also buys and sells to feeders. He also spends a good part of his time in preaching the gospel. He has been a Justice of the Peace for several years in this county, and is a notary public. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. And of the Baptist Church, being one of its trustees, and a deacon of the Havenville Baptist Church.
L. W. DENEN, postmaster, Havenville, was born in Cumberland (now Androscoggin County, Me., February 24, 1824. He was raised a farmer. In 1857, he came to Kansas, locating on a farm in Brown County. March 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company L, First Regiment of Missouri State service, and was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant, serving three years. After the war, he returned to Brown County, and in 1870 moved to Pottawatomie County, locating on a farm in Rock Creek Township, where he lived until 1878, when he moved to Havenville. He was appointed postmaster at Havenville in February, 1881. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the G. A. R. He was married, January 6, 1846, in Oxford, Me., to Miss Clara B. Andrews. They have four Children-Abbie A. (now Mrs. Perry Kazebeer), Clara A. (now Mrs. John Zimmerman), Charles L., born November 27, 1851, and James A., born December 29, 1860.
J. W. FARROW, M. D. was born in Williamsport, Md., January 18, 1857. He was educated at the high school of Williamsport. He studied medicine in Baltimore, graduating in medicine from the College of Physicians and Surgeons with the class of 1878. He practiced in Williamsport for one year, and in April, 1880, came to Kansas, locating in La Clede, Pottawatomie County. In November, 1882, he moved to Havenville, began practice and opened a drug store. He carries a line of drugs, patent medicines, sundries, etc.
SILAS I. GRIFFIS, live-stock dealer, P. O. Onaga, was born in East Canada, June 20, 1849. At the age of eight years, his parents moved with him to Niagara County, N. Y. He was educated in an academy in Lockport, N. Y. In 1870, he came to Louisville, Kan., and has lived in Pottawatomie County since. He first engaged in farming. In 1880, the Sheriff of Pottawatomie County having resigned, he was appointed Sheriff by his excellency, Gov. St. John. He served until February, 1881, and has been in live-stock trade since. He was married, April 9, 1872, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss Emma A. Ingalabe. They have four children - Edith May, born November 24, 1873; Pete, March 27, 1876; Edna Maria, July 16, 1879, and Emma Mildred, September 16, 1881.
CHARLES GROVER, farmer, P. O. Havenville. Is a son of Geroge Grover, deceased, and was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y. His father, brother, O. J. Grover, and himself removed first to Ohio, thence to St. Joseph County, Mich., and thence, in 1859, to Kansas., the brothers buying of Mr. Smith 160 acres of the present farm of Charles Gover. It was at that early day well known that a coal bed existed on the farm, and that a fine belt of timber fringed Coal Creek. O. J. Grover sold his interest and removed to a neighboring farm. Both brothers have prospered, and are well-known and respected farmers and stock-men. The farm of Charles Grover, with its timer, large basement barns, orchards and roomy farmhouse, reminds one of "down East." The coal bed here has never been actively worked, but enough to show a vein of from twelve to sixteen inches in thickness, and of an excellent quality, the coal vein lying just about the waters of Coal Creek, and on either side. Mr. Grover now has 960 acres in one body, and living water on every quarter section, making it a most famous stock range. Mrs. Grover was formerly Mrs. Organ, and one son, Budd, survives her deceased husband. By a deceased wife Mr. Grover has one son, C. Mortimer, who married Laura Ross, and they have one daughter, Gladys.
C. M. GROVER, druggist, Havenville, was born in Nottaway County, Mich., February 19, 1857. In 1860, when he was three years of age, his parents removed to Kansas, settling in Pottawatomie County. He was educated at the Kansas Agricultural College. In 1877, he began business in Havenville as a live-stock merchant, which he has continued up to the present time. In 1881, he built a very fine business room in Havenville, and opened a splendid stock of drugs, patent medicines and sundries. He is the owner of a fine farm four miles north of the city. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the K. of P. He was married, March 28, 1880, at America City, to Miss Laura Ross. They have one child, Gladys, born January 28, 1882. Also conducts the only lumber yard in the city.
H. S. HART, merchant, Havenville, was born in Beverly, W. Va., November 18, 1828. He was a son of James Hart and a great grandson of John Hart, of New Jersey, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was engaged in farming until he was appointed Deputy Sheriff and Collector for Randolph County, which offices he hold for four years. On the 15th day of September, 1853, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Rebecca Harper, at Beverly, W. Va. The fruits of their union were four children, one son and three daughters, all grown. In 1858 he came to Kansas, settling in Jackson County. He returned to Jackson County, Mo., to winter; but in the spring of 1859 he removed with his family to his farm near Circleville, Jackson Co., Kan., where he continued to reside until January, 1874, when he engaged in the general merchandise business in Circleville with C. A. Oursler as partner. In 1878 he moved to Havenville, Pottawatomie County, where he opened a stock of general merchandise in his own name, where he is now engaged in the same business. He was Justice of the Peace for eleven years in Jackson County and has served one year in the same office in this county. He is a member of the Masonic Order and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He served three years in the late war, enlisting August 16, 1862, in Company B. of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry.
HENRY HOOVER, farmer, P. O. Onaga, was born in Henry County, Ind., April 19, 1839. In 1854 he came to Kansas and lived in Jefferson County until 1856, when he moved to Pottawatomie County, locating on the farm he now occupies. He is the oldest inhabitant of Mill Creek Township. In August, 1863, he enlisted in Company K, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. He served with his regiment three years, was in the Price raid, and in a skirmish in which his regiment took part he was wounded, receiving a minie ball in the left arm. He has been a member of the District School Board. He was married, January 13, 1857, in Pottawatomie County, to Miss Melinda Eytchison. They have nine children: Laura C., now married; Nancy Ellen, William Merritt, Charles Henry, James Alfred, Edwin Elmer, Bessie May, Sarah Belle and Cicely Pearle.
WILLIAM HUTCHISON, farmer, P. O. Onaga, was born in Westmoreland County, England, April 12, 1824. At the age of eleven years, he came to America with his parents, settling in Canada. In 1848, he came to the United States, locating in Chillicothe, Ohio, engaging in the milling business. In March, 1862, he enlisted in Company M of the First Ohio Cavalry, serving nearly four years with the armies of the Cumberland and the Tennessee. Returned to Ohio after the war, and in 1868, came to Kansas, locating in Pottawatomie County, and was engaged in milling on Rock Creek, and in improving a farm. He mill was swept away in a flood, and since, he has been a farmer. He is a member of the A. F. and A. M. and the I. O. O. F. He was married, June 20, 1850, at Chillicothe, Ohio, to Miss Josephine Fritch. They have six children: Mary, Catherine, George, Thomas, Joseph and Flora.
PERRY KAZEBEER, general merchant, Havenville, was born near Steubenville, O., May 19, 1832. When he was seven years old his parents moved to Van Buren County, Iowa. He was a miller until he came to Kansas, in 1857, when he settled on a farm in the western part of Jackson County. In 1862 he opened a stock of general merchandise at Bucks Grove, and in January, 1881, moved his stock and family to Havenville, Pottawatomie Co., where he is still in trade. He is a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he has belonged since he was twelve years old. He was married June 30, 1854, to Miss Martha J. Cochrane, at Ottumwa, Iowa. Mrs. Kazebeer died July 17, 1881. He was again married at Havenville, February 6, 1882, to Mrs. A. A. Denin. He has three children, two daughters married and a son, David A., aged fourteen.
JOHN P. KOENTZ, M. D., Onaga, was born in the Province of Gelderland, Holland, January 27, 1823. He was educated in a medical college at Amsterdam. Coming to America in 1849, he settled in Sheboygan County, Wis., where he was in practice. In 1855 he came to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth, where he lived four years, and then moved to Pottawatomie County, where he has been practicing his profession since, except when he was in the army. In 1862 he enlisted in Company K, of the Eleventh Kansas, and was promoted to Hospital Steward. He served in that capacity until the close of the war; was acting Post Surgeon most of the time. He returned to his farm at the close of the war, and in 1880 moved into the City of Onaga, where he still resides. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married in October, 1865, at Little Santa Fe, Mo., to Miss Sarah M. White. They have three children: Walter William, Charles E., Christian H.
JEFFREY J. LA MORSNA, live-stock dealer, P. O. Onaga, was born in Upper Canada, September 21, 1846. In the fall of 1848, moved to Kalamazoo County, Mich., with his parents, where they lived until the spring of 1853, when they removed to Grundy County, Ill. He enlisted, March 4, 1864, in Company A of the One Hundred and twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, Ga., lost his left leg. Returned to Grundy County, Ill., where he remained until 1865, when he moved to Champaign County, where he lived three years. In 1868, he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Clear Creek Township. In 1878, he moved to Onaga, and went into the livery business. In the spring of 1881, he returned to his farm, and again in December, 1882, returned to Onaga, and engaged in present business. He was married, March 4, 1872, to Miss Maria Clough, at Onaga, Kan. They have three children: John W., Eben H. And Girard C.
AMOS E. LANDON, banker, Onaga, Kan., was born in Pottsdam, N. Y., June 2, 1830. He was a farmer's boy, but on attaining his majority, he began railroading, which he continued until 1854, when he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Jackson County. In 1859, he was elected Sheriff of the county, and re-elected two years after. In 1863, he was elected County Clerk, and served one term. In 1870, he came to Onaga, and has been in mercantile business here since. In 1881, he established his present banking-house, one of the substantial institutions of the town. He was married, July, 1854, at Ogdensburg, N. Y., to Miss Harriet H. Burt. They have four children, now all grown to maturity.
FRED MIDLAM, druggist, Onaga, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., June 28, 1837. At the age of seventeen, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and learned the carriage-making trade, and worked there three years. During the mania for speculation in the oil regions of Pennsylvania he spent six years there, amassed a fortune and lost it again. He then moved to Erie, and lived there two years. In 1868, he settled at Kansas City, Mo., and for four years was in business as an undertaker, then ten years in railroading. In 1878, was assistant foreman of the bridging of the Kansas Central Railroad, and came to Pottawatomie County. He located at Onage, and in 1880, established the drug store which he still conducts. He is a Mason, and a member of the K of P. Was married, August 11, 1859, at Mentor, Ohio, to Miss Ellen Hoyt. They have one child, Nellie.
FRANKLIN MILLER, merchant, Onaga, was born in Fond du Lac County, Wis., August 3, 1852. When a boy, his parents removed to Milwaukee. He learned the carpenter's trade in that city. In the fall of 1869, he came to Kansas, settling on a farm three miles west of Onaga, in Pottawatomie County. He worked on the farm until 1878, when he sent to the town of Hollenburg, in Washington County, and engaged in the lumber trade with Charles Zable. The next year, returned to Onaga, and engaged in the bulding business. In August 1882, opened present business with his brother, Washington. They have a store 30x100 feet, basement same size, and have both rooms filled with an immense stock of hardware, stoves, tinware, agricultural implements, wagons, etc., and do a large business.
THOMAS O'MEARA, merchant, Onaga, was born in Canada, June 6, 1831. When one year old, his parents removed with him to the United States, settling in Miami County, Ind. He was raised a farmer. In 1866, he came to Kansas and located in Atchison, where, with his brother, he began business in the grocery line. This continued two years, when he removed his business to Efflingham, and then to American City, Nemaha County, where he opened a stock of general merchandise. In 1878, moved to Onaga, Pottawatomie County, and has been in trade here since. He is a Mason, and is Worthy Master of Onaga Lodge, No. 188; also belongs to the K. of P. He was married, April 16, 1863, at Peru, Ind., to Miss Lizzie O'Brien. They have five children - Carrie, Nellie, Charles A., Anna and Leon.
JOSEPH PECHEUR, merchant, Onaga, was born in Lorraine, France, February 1, 1831. He was educated at a Normal school at Nancy, and was engaged in teaching in the public schools until he came to America, in 1864, He taught two years in Stark County, Ohio, and then moved to St. Clair County, Ill., where he lived for a short time. In 1868, he came to Kansas, settling on a homestead in Pottawatomie County, four miles from Onaga. In 1879, he moved to Onaga, built a business house, and opened a trade in general merchandise, and is still in the business. He is clerk of the school district, and an active man in all educational movements. He was married, August 2, 1880, at Seneca, Kan., to Mrs. Stephen Azier; each has children by former marriages.
CHARLES N. POINTS, farmer, P. O. Havenville, was born in Delaware County, Ind., July 30, 1847. At the age of six years, his parents removed to Black Hawk County, Iowa, where he lived three years, and from there, in 1856, came to Kansas, settling in Pottawatomie County, where he has lived since. In 1863, he enlisted in Company E, Thirteenth Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Re-enlisted as a veteran, serving until the close of the war. Returning to his home at the close of the war, he entered the Kansas Agricultural College where he remained a student for four years. He was the in the service of the King Bridge Company, Topeka, for two years; afterwards a director and general agent of the Humboldt Bridge Company. This company having retired from business, he returned to his farm. In 1879, he moved to Havenville, and began business as a merchant, carrying hardware and lumber and began the banking business. Sold out in 1881, and is now out of all business except farming. In 1878, he was elected to the Board of County Commissioners, serving two years as chairman of the board. In 1880, he was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives, serving in the session of 1881 as chairman of the Committee on Claims and Accounts and other important committees. He is a Mason, and member of the I. O. O. F. And G. A. R. In 1882, he laid out an addition of forty acres to the city of Havenville, which is rapidly improving. He was married in Omaha, Neb., February 27, 1876, to Miss Josie A. Solomon. They have one child, Mabel, born in 1878.
F. A. REED, attorney and counselor-at-law, Onaga, was born in Kendall County, Ill, March 17, 1850. He was educated at Fowler's Institute, Newark, graduating in 1870. In 1871, he came to Kansas, locating at Louisville and starting the Kansas Reporter, which he published seven years, selling to a stock company that removed it to Wamego. He studied law, meanwhile, with R. S. Hick, and was admitted to the bar in 1873. Practiced at Louisville until November 1, 1881, when he moved to Onaga, where we now find him in practice, which is rapidly increasing. He was married, September 30, 1875, to Miss Rosa Hick of Louisville. They have two children - Pearl and an infant.
THOMAS J. RICHARDSON, hardware and implement dealer, Havenville, was born in Smith County, Va., January 5, 1856. He was educated at the Marion Collegiate Institute, Marion, Va., graduating from that institute in 1875. He was engaged in teaching in the public schools of his native county for two years, read and practiced medicine under R. D. Huffard one year, and in 1878, came to Pottawatomie County, Kan., settling at Havenville. In the spring of 1879, he engaged in teaching again; taught three successive terms in the Havenville schools, and afterwards engaged in the general merchandise business with H. S. Hart, where he remained for two years. In March, 1882, he engaged in the hardware trade in his town, opening up with a neat little stock of shelf and heavy hardware, stoves, implements, farm machinery, etc. A few months later, H. J. Solomon was taken in as an equal partner, and they are now doing a good business under the firm name of Richardson & Solomon. Mr. Richardson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is now serving his term as Noble Grand in the lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
W. F. RICHARDSON, M. D., Havenville, was born in Smith County, Va., March 5, 1849. He was educated at Emory and Henry College, Va. Enlisted in the spring of 1863 in Company I, of the Twenty-first Virginia Cavalry. Served two years until the close of the war, and was wounded three times. Studied medicine after the war, graduating from the Richmond Medical College with the class of 1869. In 1870, went to Dallas County, Texas, where he practiced his profession two years. Returned to Virginia and lived the two following years, and then moved to Washington County, Neb., where he was in practice two years. In 1877, he came to Kansas, settling at Havenville, Pottawatomie County, where he is still located with a very large and lucrative practice. He is a member of the city council. He belongs to the K. of P. And the A. O. U. W. He was married, September 19, 1878, to Miss Lizzie Giles. They have two children - Cleo, born August 18, 1879, and Ovela, born August 17, 1882.
HENRY STORCH, banker, Onaga, was born in Poppenhausen, Bavaria, November 7, 1845. In 1867, came to America, landing in New York City April 8. Settled in Atchison, Kan., the coming fall, and engaged in clerking for three years. In August, 1873, he went to Muscotah, Kan., and began business as a merchant on his own account with a general stock. This he continued until February, 1872, when he built himself a store building 24x85 feet, in Onaga, Kan., where he moved his stock of goods and continued business until June 1881, when he took as partner E. B. Landon. In 1882, he built a fine stone building 25x50 feet, two-story and a basement, the first story occupied by the Onaga Exchange Bank, Henry Storch & Co., and the upper story being used for various offices. He is a Mason and member of K. of P. Was married, November 19, 1878, at Atchison, Kan., to Miss Alice E. Hagaman.
HUGH SUTHERLAND, farmer, P. O. Onaga, was born near Inverness, Scotland, February 14, 1819. When a boy, he came to Canada with his father, and lived there four years. He afterwards came to the United States, settling at Cleveland, and was the book-keeper for a mercantile firm in that city until 1849, when he located in St. Louis and engaged in same business. In 1850, he went overland to California, and for a short time was engaged in mining. Then he entered the service of a mercantile house at Nevada City, in Nevada County, where he continued until 1853, when he again made the overland journey to Missouri. He settled in Weston, and for a time followed his old business. His health declining, in 1857 he gave up mercantile life and moved on a farm in Jackson County, Kan., where he lived until 1865, when he moved to Pottawatomie County, locating on a farm, where he now lives. In 1872, he was-elected a County Commissioner, and re-elected in 1874, serving four years. While a citizen of Jackson County, he served several years as a Justice of the Peace. He is a member of the Masonic order. Was married at St. Louis, Mo., January, 1851, to Miss Hannah Mary Strickland. They have eight children - John, Mary Ellen (Mrs. S. A. Regar), Jenneatte (Mrs. D. H. Crum), George D., Lorena, Ida May, Nettie and Maud.
SAMUEL H. TAYLOR, farmer, P. O. Onaga, was born in Delaware County, Ind., October 6, 1833. He was raised a farmer. In the fall of 1859, he came to Kansas, settling in Mill Creek Township, where he now lives. In the spring of 1875, he moved to Oregon, where he lived three years. Returned in the fall of 1877, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1864, he was in the Twentieth Regiment of Militia during the Price raid. He has been Constable and Deputy Sheriff for several years. He was married, in Delaware County, Ind., to Miss Nancy Godlove. They have five children - Harvey, Perry, Mary Ann, Martha and Carrie.