|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The township of Wamego, in which the town is situated, is the smallest township of the county, but, according to the census of 1880, is the most populous. The city of Wamego, by its eligible situation, on the banks of the Kaw, and also on the main branch of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, has distanced in growth many towns which, by earlier establishment, had, not long since, greatly the advantage in point of growth.
June 12, 1866, Hugh S. Walsh, general agent of the Wamego Town Site Company, had a plat filed for record: April 5, 1870, A. M. Read (sic) made an addition; Antoine Ulrich made one June 9, 1870; S. Finney made one October 12, 1870, and Antoine Ulrich made one December 6, 1870. It is the end of the first division of the Kansas Division of the Union Pacific, and is 104 miles from Kansas City. Here is a round house and shops that employ a very considerable number of laborers. The site is beautifully located. A wagon bridge crosses the river at this place. The expense of this bridge was borne by the issuance of bridge bonds, the larger part of which was voted by the citizens of Wamego. This causes a large amount of the products of Northern Wabaunsee County to find its way to market at the Wamego Station. This place is the most populous one of the county, and it must of necessity be a place of very considerable commercial importance.
April 26, 1882, the Sixty-third Anniversary of Odd Fellowship in these United States was observed at Wamego; the Lodge of Louisville joining with that of Wamego to listen to an oration by Theodore Botkin, of Mound City. From these proceedings is gathered the history of Wamego Lodge, No. 80, I. O. of O. F., which was instituted September 18, 1871, by Isaac G. M. The seven charter members were T. H. Lowell, J. Houston, B. F. Fliger, S. A. Clary, H. Kimmell, S. K. King and F. J. Sellinger. The first officers of the lodge were: T. H. Lowell, N. G.; J. Houston, V. G.; B. F. Thayer, R. S.; S. A. Clary, Treasurer; H. Kimmell, W. M.; S. King, I. G. Wamego furnished the first Grand Master of Odd Fellowship in the then Territory of Kansas, in the person of John Collins, who became an Odd Fellow in 1852. He died July 7, 1882, and his funeral services held July 9, were conducted by the Wamego and Louisville Lodges, and Manhattan Lodge No. 17. Judge Collins had held the office of Justice of the Peace almost continuously for about seventeen years. Pottawatomie County, with its shire town, permanently located at Westmoreland, becomes settled upon the matter of boundaries, and retaining its present territory, it is morally certain to increase in wealth and population equal to that of any interior county of Kansas.
The Methodist Church, South, made the first attempts at preaching at Wamego, and Rev. Mr. Williams, living near the Big Blue, was the first preacher. Rev. J. H. Lee of Manhattan, Rector of the Protestant Episcopal Church there, frequently preached at Wamego. Preachers of the Baptist and Christian Church occasionally ministered here, and in 1867 there was union of the Northern with the Southern Methodist in one organization, and they have a very good church edifice costing about $3,500. It was dedicated June 9, 1878; its pastors have been T. F. Herd, J. A. Woodburn, Mr. Robins, William Knife, E. R. Brown, G. F. Houts, J. A. Lord, Lawrence Hibbard, B. F. Parlett, J. M. Wilson and George E. Nicholson. Its present membership is about seventy-five.
The Baptist Church was organized December 9, 1869, with nine members. Rev. G. W. Scott was the pastor when the church was organized. Rev. R. P. Evans has since been the pastor, but the church has preaching only occasionally. Their church building was obtained of the school district, it being the early school building prior to the organization of the church. The edifice cost $1,200; the church membership is about fifty.
The Presbyterian Church edifice is a well-built frame, completed in 1881, at a cost of about $3,500. The organization was effected February 7, 1869. Its pastors have been J. A. Veale, I. T. Whitamore, A. Essick, W. B. Christopher, H. R. Lewis, W. E. Williamson, Alexander Sterrett, and Wm. A. Scarrett. Its membership is about seventy-five.
The Catholic Church building was erected in 1881, at a cost of $3,000. Their pastor is Rev. B. Nuttmann. Their services were held formerly in various available places.
There is also a Methodist Episcopal Church, which has a membership of about twenty. This society had a small structure which was burned, and they rebuilt a neat building, and hold regular services.
The Wamego school is a two-story stone building, 50x75 feet, erected in 1872, at a cost of $12,000. The principal of the school in 1882 was E. M. Donaldson. There were five other teachers.
The Choral Society was organized April 22, 1878. There are about thirty members.
A plat of the Wamego Cemetery was filed in the office of the Register of Deeds, October 7, 1874, and the grounds have been most beautifully laid out and adorned. Wamego is the objective point that is reached by rail in going to the late county seat, Louisville, and the new one, Westmoreland, which place is reached by Butler on the Kansas Central.
The Wamego Lodge, No. 80, I. O. O. F., was organized in October, 1873. Its charter members were T. K. Lovell, M. S. H. King, James Houston, S. A. Chary, H. Kimmell. Its membership is about fifty. Its present officers are as follows: John Prunty, N. G.; C. N. Baker, V. G.; N. J. Hord, Secretary.
The Wamego Lodge, No. 75, A. F. and A. M., was organized in 1869. Its charter members were J. W. Peck, W. M.; W. D. Embley, S. W.; T. N. Gardner, J. W.; D. H. Wayner, Treasurer; E. B. Deitrick, G. D.; A. P. McMillian, Joel S. Sheldon. Its present membership is about seventy-five.
The history of the press at Wamego is quite eventful. In 1869, J. E. Clardy and John O'Flanagan established the Kansas Valley. They published it until March, 1879, when Mr. Clardy sold out his interest to Mr. O'Flanagan, who continued the paper until November, 1871, when he sold the office to J. T. Bradley, who removed it to Solomon City. It was strongly Democratic in its politics. In May, 1869, Mr. Jennings started the Wamego Courier. It suspended the following September, and Mr. Jennings took charge of the Le Roy Pioneer.
In August, 1870, R. W. Jenkins commenced the publication of the Wamego Dispatch, independent. J. E. Clardy purchased an interest in it in the spring of 1871, and they published it until August, 1871, when it was sold and the material was taken to Neuchatel, a French settlement in Nemaha County.
The Wamego Blade was started in the spring of 1972, by R. E. Cunningham, who, about a year afterwards, moved the material to Clay Center. It was independent in its politics. In the spring of 1871, L. R. Palmer and H. C. Linn published the Pottawatomie Star. They ran it about one year, when they sold it to W. E. Powell, who removed the office out of the county.
In May, 1871, W. E. Powell commenced the publication of the Pottawatomie Republican. It was discontinued in November, 1871. During the County Fair at Wamego, in September, 1882, Mr. W. P. Campbell had exclusive charge of the Daily Kansas Reporter, which ran for that time. Mr. C. Is one of the best of newspaper men.
In September, 1877, the Wamego Tribune was established by W. P. Campbell; his associate was his brother, J. B. Campbell. October 1, 1878, the paper was published semi-weekly. It was Republican in its politics.
In 1882, J. L. Browne, the Postmaster at Wamego, is managing the Wamego Reporter, which in its politics is Republican.
The veteran newspaper man, J. E. Clardy, is now publishing the Wamego Agriculturalist as a semi-agricultural, semi-prohibition paper at Wamego. It is the largest newspaper in the county and is well patronized. It was established February 22.
There are four hotels in Wamego-the Ames House, Avenue House, Merritt House, and Wamego House.
P. H. ASMUSSEN, merchant, was born in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, September 29, 1850. Educated in a gymnasium at Fleensburg, graduating in 1870. In 1871 came to America, and, same year, settled in Riley County, Kan., and engaged in farming. In 1876 he became a book-keeper for Blattner & Blakely, at Enterprice, Dickinson County, continuing with them till 1877, when he came to Wamego, Pottawatomie County, and engaged with the Western Lumber Company as their manager. He carries a stock of lumber, hardware, agricultural implements and building sundries. In 1879 was elected to the City Council, and is still in office. In 1883 was elected Township Trustee of Wamego Township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married March 27, 1879, at Alma, Kan., to Miss Ellen E. Timsen.
J. M. BOYS, druggist, was born in Monroe County, Pa., July 25, 1842. Was educated at Dickinson College, Carlysle, Pa. After leaving college, he worked two years in a wholesale drug house in Philadelphia, and then began business on his own account at Stroudsburg, Pa., as a retail druggist. In 1863 he removed to Iowa, where he purchased the same business, and in 1869 came to Kansas, settling at Wamego, and has there been in the drug trade since. He has a large, fine store, and does a large trade. In 1882 he built and occupied a new stone block on the corner of Lincoln avenue and Fifth street. The building is the best business house in the city, and an ornament to the place. He is a member of the Masonic Order. In 1870 he was appointed City Treasurer, which office he still holds. He was married November 9, 1881, at Wamego, Kan., to Miss G. E. McLeod, of Neosho Rapids, Kan.
GEORGE H. COX, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Wamego, was born in Morgan County, Ill., April 20, 1850. In 1871 he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Pottawatomie County, where he has since resided, engaged in grain and stock-farming. He ships largely from Wamego. He was married January 4, 1877, in Pottawatomie County, Kan., to Miss Lizzie Hard.
HENRY FOX, retired, was born in Hampshire County, Mass., February 14, 1815. When thirteen years of age, his parents removed to Cayuga County, N. Y. While still a youth, he learned the carriage and wagon-making trade. In 1841 he removed to Medina County, Ohio, where he carried on his business, and afterward lived in Huron County, from whence he came to Kansas in 1856. The train in which he came had to avoid Missouri, and they came through Iowa and Nebraska. Soon after entering the Territory about four miles from the Nebraska line, they were arrested by the United States forces, under Col. Cooke, and escorted to Indianola. Gov. Geary met them and ordered them released, and told them to seek their homes. The morning they were taken prisoners, it rained, and being ordered out of the wagons, his children all took cold; in consequence of the exposure, four were attacked with typhoid fever, from which one daughter, fourteen years old, died, three weeks after they reached Topeka. He lived for a time in Topeka, and finally settled at Auburn, Shawnee County; continued to farm until 1875, when he moved to Wamego in Pottawatomie County, and entered business as a merchant in the grocery line, which he continued four years. He is now retired and in possession of competence. He had two sons who entered the Union army, and served through the war of the Rebellion. In 1864 he was elected to the Legislature from Shawnee County, and served one term with zeal and ability. His wife, who accompanied him to Kansas, lived two years.
HON. JAMES L. HUGGINS was born in Troy, Rensselaer County, N. Y., in October 1814. His grandfather, William Huggins, served as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, as a private volunteer from Washington, N. Y. His material grandfather was a native of Salem, Mass., and was also a soldier in the Revolution, and one of the participants in the Boston Tea Party of December 13, 1773. He was the second son of Samuel and Sarah (Kettel) Huggins. He received his education in the common schools and at the Salem Academy. After leaving school, he learned the trade of a tanner and currier. Not liking the business, he applied himself to the study of law. Soon after being admitted to the bar, he removed to Oakland County, Mich., where he successfully practiced his profession until 1856, at which time he emigrated to Kansas. He was an ardent Free-state man, and became an intimate friend of James H. Lane, and one of his followers during the troublous times that followed. He was in Lawrence, May 17, 1856, when the town was sacked by the border ruffians, and was robbed of all his money, and even his coat. Thus reduced to first principles, he went to Franklin and hired out with John Stroap as fireman and engineer, with the stipulation, that in case of fighting to be done on the Free-state side, he should at all times be free to leave his work and engage in the battle. He engaged in the second battle of Franklin, and all the subsequent battles, up to the surrender of Titus. On the arrival of Gov. Geary, Mr. Huggins left the Territory, being one of the companions of Gen. Lane. He reached Civil Bend, Iowa-as one of his biographers states-"ragged and dead broke." Here he remained lumbering until the spring of 1857, at which time he returned to Michigan. In the fall of 1858 he returned to Kansas, and first settled in Auburn, Shawnee County, where he resumed the practice of law. In 1862 he removed to Wamego, Pottawatomie County, which place has since been his home. In 1868 he was elected Probate Judge of the county, and was again re-elected in 1870. He has been an ardent and consistent Republican since the organization of the party in Kansas. He married Miss Louisa Paddock, of Springfield, Oakland County, Mich., March 26, 1840. She died December, 1857. Their children were-Sarah E., Mary E., Charles J., James R., Cordella C. And John P. On September 18, 1858, he married Mrs. Elmina C. Green. He took a leading part in the organization of Pottawatomie County, and, in connection with Jeremiah Sabin, erected the first flouring mill at Louisville, in that county. He is one of the most successful horticulturists and farmers in the county.
G. W. LIMERICK, loan and insurance agent, was born in Princeton, Ill., November 9, 1853. June, 1855, his parents removed to Kansas, settling within a mile of Westmoreland, Pottawatomie County. He was educated at Spaulding's Commercial College, Kansas City, and learned telegraphy. For six months after leaving school, he was in the telegraph service of the United States army in Texas, and then for two years with the Western Union Company in Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. In 1879, with his brother, they founded a land agency, loan and insurance business. They do, also, a brokerage business, and have a bank at Alma, of which J. F. has the management, while our subject conducts their extensive business at Wamego.
H. D. McMEEKIN, proprietor Merritt House, was born in Nelson County, Ky., January 3, 1822. He was raised to the dry gods trade in Shelbyville. In 1850 he came to what is now the State of Kansas. He was licensed by the Government as a trader for the Pottawatomie tribe of Indians, his store being at old Uniontown, opposite the site of Rossville. He continued the business until 1856, but meanwhile, in 1854, settled on a farm in Leavenworth County. In 1855 he moved into the town of Leavenworth, building the fourth house in the town. In 1864, in partnership with James M. Karr, contracted with the United States to supply beef to the forts in Kansas, and Forts Lyon and Union, Colorado. In 1868 he engaged with Hensley, Russell & Co., wholesale grocers, Leavenworth, as a clerk, which he continued until 1873, when he engaged with M. Hageman & Co. In 1868 he became proprietor of the Tefft House, Topeka, which he continued until 1880, when he moved to Wamego, since which time he has been proprietor of the Merritt House. In 1855 he was a member of the First Territorial Legislature, which assembled at Pawnee. Mr. McMeekin immediately introduced a bill, providing for an adjournment to the Shawnee Manual Labor School Johnson County, which passed, removing the Legislature to the last named place. While a citizen of Leavenworth, he was Deputy United States Marshal, under Donaldson, for two years, and Deputy Sheriff of Leavenworth County for four years. He was married in Shelbyville, Ky., April 3, 1844, to Miss Mary J. Lawrence. Has three children, all grown.
J. A. MONINGER, attorney and counselor-at-law, was born in Washington County, Pa., August 3, 1851. He was educated at Bethany College, West Virginia, graduating with the class of 1873. Also graduated from the law college of the Michigan University with the class of 1876. He practiced his profession eight years in the county-seat of his native county, and in 1879 came to Kansas, locating at Wamego, where he is now located. He has a fine practice and is a rising young man. He was married September 25, 1879, at Wellsburg, West Virginia, to Miss M. H. Buchanan.
S. E. PARDEE, stock-dealer, was born in New Haven, Conn., in 1840, his father, the Hon. S. D. Pardee, being one of the most prominent men of the State. Mr. Pardee came to Kansas in 1869, locating at Wabaunsee, and engaging in farming and stock-raising. During the war he was in the Tenth Connecticut Regiment; served under Gen. Burnside and participated in the North Carolina campaign, being wounded in the side at the battle of Little Washington, N. C., when Gen. Foster was hemmed in, and was mustered out after two years and four months' service.
R. C. PEDDICORD, farmer, P. O. Wamego, was born in Mason County, Ky., January 33, 1828. In 1859 moved to Morgan County, Ill., and in 1869 came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Wamego Township, Pottawatomie County, where he still lives. He was married March 1, 1855, at Springfield, Ill., to Miss Harriet B. Cox. They have four children - George H., John Edward, Lizzie Frances and Sue Ella.
J. H. WIERMAN, Police Judge, was born in Delaware County, Ind., July 14, 1840. August 3, 1862, he enlisted in Company B of the Sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Took a part in all the battles of the regiment. April 9, 1865, in an assault on Fort Blakely, Mobile, Alabama, he had his left leg shot away. Mustered out June 5, 1865, and returned home. Engaged in the grain trade at Selma, Delaware County, which he continued until 1877, when he came to Kansas, settling at Wamego. In February, 1882, he was elected Police Judge, and in April of the same year, was elected a Justice of the Peace. He holds both offices. He is a present Post Commander of O. P. Morton Post, No. 38, G. A. R; Master Workman, of Wamego Lodge, No. 125, A. O. U. W.; also belongs to the I. O. O. F., and E. A. U. He was married January 15, 1869, in Selma, Ind., to Miss Nancy A. Taylor. They have four children - Dora A., Ina May, Bessie O. And Walter Thomas.
Rock Creek Township, which agrees in location and area with Congressional Township 7, Range 9, contains Westmoreland, the new county-seat, and Moodyville, and is one of the most picturesque sections of the county. There are mineral springs at both of these places, whose waters possess highly medicinal qualities. The original town plat of Westmoreland was recorded April 15, 1871, Volney. (Sic) Baker, proprietor. Since, there have been additions made by Rachel Armer and A. C. Cochrun. It is located in the center of the southwest quarter of Section 33, Town 7, Range 9. Cockrun's (sic) addition was platted and filed October 12, 1882. There are in the town, three general stores, four hotels, two churches, Congregational and Methodist (each with a good church bulding), one physician, one lawyer, a carpenter shop, restaurant, livery stable and butcher shop. October 5, 1882, Jasper K. Whims, of Westmoreland, and Messrs. Cotton and Anderson issued the first number of the Period, a five-column, four page paper at Westmoreland.
Moodyville, a place of considerable prospective importance, was laid out in April, 1882. It is situated in the southwest quarter of Section 14, Town 7, Range 9. It has a joint stock company hotel, 30x50 feet, three stories high and containing twenty-one sleeping rooms. It is a frame building; its cost is $3,500. Hiram F. Robbins is president of the Company; William Henry, Secretary; E. M. Moody, Treasurer. The village has a stone schoolhouse, costing $500, and a church edifice, erected by the Church of the Disciples, in 1879; Rev. J. T. Jackson, pastor.
Moodyville Springs. - East of the general highway, down the main street-called Broadway-which is 100 feet wide, a short distance from where the suspension bridge crosses Rock Creek, is one of the best springs in the State. Its waters are very strong in salts of magnesia; it has traces of nitrate, sulphate of lime, sulphate of soda, sulphate of potassa, carbonates of lime, chloride of sodium; and contains alumina and organic matter. These springs flow from the base of a hill on the east bank of Rock Creek. A thick foliage from the beautiful forest trees renders the surroundings quite pleasant, and keeps out the sun's burning rays in midsummer. There is quite a large, level park below the springs, on which is located a nice fountain. Northeast of the springs is an attractive cave that furnishes much to interest the geological student. A roadway crosses the creek north of the cave, passes around a romantic bluff to the south, and again crosses the creek below the bend, where Pray Creek forms a junction with Rock Creek, about half a mile south of Broadway. This spring drive-way is twenty feet in width. Preparations are made for forming a nice fish pond, which will be well stocked with fish. Southeast from the springs on the bluff is a mound, suggesting pre-historic periods, giving reasonable evidence of the existence of the mound-builders. Fossils and petrifactions of the native flora are exceptionally rich at the springs and vicinity, and on the farm of Archibald Richards, adjoining them, was found, in a mound, remains of an Indian, decorated with trinkets. In addition to these natural beauties and curiosities around these springs, there is an enchantment in the vision that presents itself in the distance. Rich grasses grow on the acres, from the water-line to the crown of the highest hill. On an October day, the grand wooded lands, with their mantle of green, crimson and gold, softened by the mellow haze, reach away to the horizon in every direction. Here the air is as pure as the breath of mountains, and the limpid, refreshing fluid kind Nature has furnished at these springs, is as clear and sweet as those of ancient Bethesda.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - ROCK CREEK TOWNSHIP.
J. R. BAKER, attorney and counselor-at-law, Westmoreland, was born in Canada, in August 1840. At the age of eighteen he came to the United States and settled in Iowa. In May, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Sixty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served two years. Again he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served the term of enlistment-one hundred days. In 1867 he entered the Upper Iowa University at Fayette and completed a course of four years. He studied law at Terre Haute, Ind., and was admitted to the bar in 1871. He practiced at Rockville four years, and in the spring of 1878 came to Kansas, settling at Louisville. He belongs to the G. A. R., and was first President of the Pottawatomie Soldiers' Association, and is now Secretary of the same Association. He was married August 22, 1876, in White County, Ind., to miss Annie Curtis. They have two children - Jennie M. And Charles H. Mr. Baker is engaged in real estate, loan and insurance business, and Mrs. Baker is postmistress of Westmoreland.
A. C. COCHRUN, merchant, Westmoreland, was born in Hamilton County, Ind., August 5, 1833. When ten years of age, his parents moved with him to Shelby County, Ill., where they lived two years; then to Wapello, Iowa. He was a farmer until he came to Kansas, in December, 1857. Settled first in Jackson County, where he lived until September 20, 1869, when he removed to Pottawatomie County, settling near the present site of Westmoreland, where he began business as a merchant. He carries a large stock of general merchandise, and is also an extensive farmer. In 1882 he laid out an addition to the town, and has taken an active part in securing the county-seat for this place. Was postmaster for seven years at this office. He served in the militia in the campaign against Price. He was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, to Miss Mary Shaul, August 30, 1856. They have six children - James P., Laura A., Francis H., William E., Richard O., and Charles.
JOHN O. DETWILER, the eloquent temperance advocate, P. O. Westmoreland, was born in Somerset County, Pa., October 20, 1827. When a child he went to live with an uncle in Washington County, Maryland, and was raised on the historic field of Antietam. At the age of sixteen, moved to Ogle County, Ill., and was engaged in railroad contracting for twelve years. In 1856, moved to Benton County, Iowa, and owned a farm, but spent his whole time in the work of lecturing on temperance, having begun to speak in that field in the same year of his removal to Iowa. Again, in 1870, moved to Knasas, settling on a farm in Pottawatomie County, but continued lecturing until 1878, when he retired from the field. He lectured under the auspices of the I. O. G. T. For over a quarter of a century; traveled through twenty-six States and three Territories, and spoke in public over 6,400 times. He was married in Boone County, Ill., April 25, 1846, to Miss O. N. Wade. They have seven children, all grown up, and all living in Kansas.
W. J. DOWNING, druggist, Westmoreland, was born in Bloomington, Ill., December 19, 1851. When a child, his parents removed to Putnam County, Ind., and from thence to Allegan County, Mich. In 1875 he moved to Kansas and settled at Neosho Falls. He entered the ministry of the Christian Church, and continued in the work for five years, in Pottawatomie, Marshall and Washington counties. In 1879 he began business in Greenleaf, Kansas, in the grocer's line, which continued until May, 1882, when he sold out, moved to Westmoreland, and began business as a druggist. He had a fine stock, and is doing a flourishing trade. He was married February 7, 1875, at Westmoreland, Kan., to Miss Mattie Wain. They have two children - Lewis J. And Jessie.
J. GREEN, M. D., Moodyville, was born in Amherst Mass., March 6, 1823. At the age of six years his parents moved to New York, and at the age of twelve years he was removed to Ohio. He was educated at an academy in Wayne County, N. Y. Studied medicine, alternated with teaching school. Attended his first course of lectures at the Medical Department of Willoughby University, and the following year graduated from the Medical Department of the University of Buffalo, class of 1849. He settled in practice in Lucas County, Ohio, and practiced there until 1878, when he moved to Kansas, settling at Alma, Wabaunsee County. In 1882 he moved to Pottawatomie County, locating at the Mineral Springs near the new town of Moodyville. He, in partnership with Dr. Woodard, erected, in the spring of 1883, a bathing establishment at that famed resort. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married May 29, 1849, in Wayne County, N. Y., to Miss Catherine Stoutenberg. Mrs. Green having departed this life, he again married, February 8, 1855, at Monroe, Mich., Miss Eveline Bancroft. They have four children - Kate S., William C., M. Anna and Mattie.
D. B. KITTS, farmer, P. O. Westmoreland, was born in Chester County, Pa., April 11, 1821. When a child, his parents removed to Philadelphia, where he lived until sixteen years of age. In 1837 moved to Marion County, Mo., where he lived until 1850, when he went overland to California; traveled through Northern California and Oregon, returning to Wapello County, Iowa, in 1859. On his return, visited Central American, Mexico and Cuba. In Iowa was engaged in the manufacture of brick until 1866, when he came to Kansas. Settled in the then new town of Westmoreland in 1872. He built the first house in the town. He has been engaged in farming since coming to Kansas. He was a Justice of the Peace for two years. In September, 1882, he laid out an addition of twenty acres to the town, donated a public square of three acres to the county for a new court house. He was married at Hannibal, Mo., December 31, 1845, to Miss Susan George. She lived but a year and a half, and again, November 16, 1849, he was married to Miss Jane George, a sister of his former wife. Her death soon after sent him to the mountains. September 26, 1881, he was married to Mrs. Susan Armour. They have four children - M. H., Susan M., Joseph and Allen.
JOHN E. LANE; farmer, P. O. Blaine, was born in Troy, N. Y., May 16, 1856. In 1865 removed with his parents to Boone County, Ill. In the fall of 1870 he came to Kansas, settling in Pottawatomie County, where he has since resided, except three years-February, 1880 to February 1883-during which time he was in business in Chicago as a private detective and police officer. March 1, 1883, he returned to his farm in Rock Creek Township, where he is engaged in farming and stock-feeding. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. He was married September 25, 1878, in Pottawatomie County, to Miss Estella Fowler. They have one child-Francis Edwards, born June 22, 1880.
EDWIN M. MOODY, farmer and merchant, P. O. Moodyville, was born in Grafton County, N. H., October 29, 1842. Educated at Burlington Academy, and was a farmer until 1867, when he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Rock Creek Township. He has since laid out the town of Moodyville, which, owing to the discovery of very valuable mineral springs, is destined to be a fine place. In 1874 he built a store on his farm, and has been engaged in general merchandise since, in connection with his farming. He raises grain and stock. In 1880 the post-office Moodyville was established, and Mr. Moody was appointed postmaster. He was married June 30, 1864, at Landoff, N. H., to Miss Mary J. Kendall. They have eight children.
OSCAR M. OSBON, livery, Westmoreland, was born in Brown County, Ohio, May 20, 1846. At the age of six years he removed with his parents to Princeville, Peoria County, Ill. October 12, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Battery A., Second Illinois Artillery, and served three years, seeing the close of the war as a soldier. He took part in seventeen battles, among them the fierce and terrible struggles of Champion Hill, the siege of Vicksburg, and the capture of Spanish Fort, Mobile. After the war he came West, traveled about for two years, and in the spring of 1868 settled on a homestead in Washington County. In 1877 started the Greenleaf Bugle. He published it for a few months, sold out, and went on the road as a traveling salesman for a wholesale boot and shoe house in St. Joseph, Mo. After a year in the business he resumed farming, in Washington County, and in 1880 was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, from the One Hundred and Fourth District, comprising the eastern half of Washington County. He served in the session of 1881, and was Chairman of the House Committee on Finance, and was on the Committee on Printing, and several other committees of less importance. In 1882 he sold his farm, removed to Westmoreland, in Pottawatomie County, and built a livery stable. He belongs to the G. A. R. He was married at Washington, August, 1873, to Miss Oral Reed. They have three children - Orman, Wilson M., and Kenneth.
AMOS PLUMMER, farmer, P. O. Moodyville, was born in Putnam County, Ind., October 25, 1839. He was raised a farmer, and in 1865 came to Kansas, stopped for a time in Johnson County, and returned to Missouri to winter. In the spring of 1866 he came again into Kansas and settled on a farm in Rock Creek Township, Pottawatomie County. He owns a large farm, and raises grain and stock. He was married February 13, 1862, to Miss R. G. Siddons, in Putnam County, Ind. They have six children - Isaac B., Dora Frances, W. W., Amanda E., Joseph H., and Rachel Annie.
J. H. PRAY, farmer and merchant, Moodyville, was born in York County, Me., October 3, 1833. At the age of twelve years he went to Dover, Mass., and attended school. He then engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes, which continued until 1871, when he moved to Kansas. He settled in Pottawatomie County, and has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. In the fall of 1882 he built a store-room in Moodyville and began business as a merchant. Carries a general stock of merchandise, flour, feed, etc. He was married in May, 1854, at Danvers, Mass., to Miss Dorothy Joy.