|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
St. George Township is one of the most romantic composed of beautiful rolling farming land, well wooded in the valley. Black oak timber is found here in large quantities. Among the early settlers in this vicinity was Jacob Emmons, who settled on the northwest quarter of Section 8, Township 10, Range 9. He was Probate Judge, County Commissioner, County Clerk, and County Surveyor, and for quite a period of time virtually "carried the county in his pocket." He was a general adjudicator of neighborhood difficulties in the early time, and in matters that came before him as judge, in the absence of a knowledge of legal lore, his decisions were based on honesty and common sense. The first Commissioner's Court at St. George was held at a building owned by Dr. J. D. Adams. Judge Emmons advanced $200 for books used for public records.
St. George was a town of fine prospects in the early days. Its original plat covered the east half of Section 9, Township 10, Range 9. It was made by John Andrew Jackson Chapman, surveyor, in February, 1857.
One pet scheme of the citizens of St. George was to have their town connected with St. Joseph by rail, on a great southwestern thoroughfare. The old town of St. George was vacated in 1879, and its present area is about sixty acres, which is on the southest quarter of Section 9, Township 10, Range 9. This is a place where extensive grain shipments are made, and E. B. Purcell & Co., of Manhattan, built their capacious elevator here in 1879; their store was started in 1871. C. W. Knapp, formerly of Riley Center, is their resident manager, becoming the successor of G. W. Cheney, who is the efficient station agent and telegraphic operator here. Elijah Walker is insurance agent, broker, notary public and real estate conveyancer. He is one of the earliest settlers, and is a man of affairs. C. F. Shipps is postmaster. There is one hotel, one good schoolhouse, and the usual complement of stores and shops. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1877, Rev. E. H. Parkinson, pastor. Since then its pastors have been Rev. Mr. Brown and Rev. Mr. McNair. Its membership is about thirty-five. C. F. Shipps is Sunday-school superintendent. The Church of the Disciples was organized in 1880, with a membership of forty-five. Its pastor is Rev. R. W. Watson; W. A. Ensign, Sunday-school superintendent. Its early members were Jacob Emmons, George W. Gillespie and J. W. Simpkins.
GEORGE W. CHENEY, agent Union Pacific Railway at St. George, was born in Conneaut, Ashtabula County, State of Ohio, August 30, 1844. Graduated at the Kingsville Academy, in class of 1858. Entered the United States army as private, and served during the Rebellion; belonged to the Fourteenth Army Corps, in army of the Cumberland; was in all the prominent battles, and with Gen. W. T. Sherman from "Atlanta to the Sea." Received commission as First Lieutenant, October, 1863, and was mustered out of service at close of the war, with the One Hundred and Fifth Ohio Volunteers. After the war, again went South, and spent nearly a year at Nashville, Tenn., in the Quartermaster's department, disposing of surplus Government stores, etc. Left Nashville, Tenn., and went to the Pennsylvania oil regions; was in active business until 1868. At that time came to Manhattan, Riley County, Kan. Was in the employ of E. B. Purcell as book-keeper, but finally came to St. George, Pottawatomie County, and took charge of Mr. Purcell's interests at that place, which position was mutually dissolved October 2, 1882. In 1874 was appointed railroad and express agent of the Kansas Pacific Railway (now Union Pacific Railway), which position he still holds. Was married to Miss Julia M. Russell, of Olean, N. Y., on March 25, 1868. Have two children living (George Parke, dead), Ernest Russell, born January 31, 1869, and Mary Ellen, born April 29, 1877.
L. W. CROWL, farmer, P. O. St. George, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 22, 1834. He was raised a farmer. In 1857 he came to Kansas, settling in St. George Township, where he still lives, engaged in farming and stock-raising. In 1858, as chairman of the township board, he became a member, ex officio, of the county board of supervisors, and was elected one of the first county commissioners under the present law in 1859. February, 1863, he enlisted in Company L of the Eleventh Kansas; was mustered in as First Sergeant, and in that capacity served until mustered out October 5, 1865. Returning to his farm, he was, in 1870, elected County Treasurer, serving two years. He was married in October, 1857, at Salem, Ohio, to Miss Mary Emmons. They have five children - Florence (now Mrs. Warren Shehan), Jessie (now Mrs. John P. Russell), Laura, Nellie and Harry.
W. W. EMMONS, farmer, P. O. St. George, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, June 1, 1832. In 1857 he came to Kansas, settling first in Douglas County, but same year came to Pottawatomie County, settling in St. George Township, where he now lives, engaged in farming and stock-raising. September 15, 1862, enlisted in Company K of the Eleventh Kansas; was mustered as Orderly Sergeant, and commissioned near the end of enlistment as Second Lieutenant. Returned to his farm, and in 1867 was appointed a County Commissioner to fill a vacancy. At the next election he was elected to the full term, of two years. He has been Township Clerk and treasurer. He was married March 28, 1858, at St. George, Kan., to Miss Louis Wilson. They have six children - Francis M., Martha Theresa, Mary Louise, Charles W., William W. And Nora.
FRANZ HOLUBA, grain-dealer, was born in Bohemia, Germany, March 31, 1853. In 1868 he came to America, settling in St. George, where he engaged in grain and stock trade. He was married June 4, 1876, in Pottawatomie County, Kan., to Miss Clara Straub. They have two children - Charles L. And Louise A.
HENRY HUMAN, restaurateur, was born in New Orleans, La., December 15, 1853. In 1865 he removed with his parents, to Leavenworth, Kan. In 1875 he moved to Salina, Kan., and was employed by Eberhardt & Suddendorf, in their lumber-yard until 1877, when he went to Pueblo, Colorado, and was for a short time in the employ of the D. & R. G. R. R. In 1878 he went into the San Juan country, and worked at mining for Edward Ennis, of Cunningham's Gulch, until 1880, when he returned to Kansas, settling in St. George, Pottawatomie County, where he has been in business since. He was married June 30, 1880, at Salina, Kans., to Miss Pauline Voigt. They have two children - Ella Gertrude, born July 1, 1881, and Henry Ganat, born February 8, 1883.
J. D. KARR, M. D., was born in Williamson County, Ill., April 15, 1848. Was a farmer, and studied medicine at the age of twenty-seven years. Graduated from Keokuk Medical College in the class of 1877. In the same year he came to Kansas, settling in St. George, where he is still in practice. In 1880 was elected coroner of Pottawatomie County, serving one term. He is one of the leading physicians of the county, and is a rising man. He was married April 3, 1869, in Williamson County, Ill., to Miss Elizabeth A. Avery. They have four children - Mattie, born November 18, 1871; Lulu, born July 8, 1875; Barbara, born February 15, 1877; William Leon, born February 23, 1879.
FRANK LAMBERT, farmer and gardener, P. O. St. George, was born in Lausanne, France, June 22, 1838. Served in the Austrian war, and in 1864 came to America, landing in August. After traveling South, working at various points in Louisiana and other Southern States, he returned to Kings County, N. Y., and was employed in his trade, that of a gardener. In 1866 he came to Kansas, settling in Manhattan, Riley County. Thence he removed to Blue Township, Pottawatomie County, and thence to St. George Township. He is engaged in raising small fruits and vegetables, making a specialty of growing celery and seeds of all kinds. He was married June 3, 1872, at St. Mary's Kan., to Miss Elizabeth Eliohah. They have one child-John, born May 12, 1873.
GOTTLIEB SCHURR, farmer, P. O. St. George, was born in Wittenberg, Germany, April 12, 1825. He learned the trade of stone-mason, and worked at the trade until 1851, when he came to America, settling in Jay County, Ind., on a farm, where he lived three years. In the spring of 1855, he came to Kansas, settling in Leavenworth, where he lived a year. In 1856 he settled in St. George Township, Pottawatomie County, and has since been engaged in farming. September 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company K of the Eleventh Kansas, and as Sergeant served through the term of three years, having been mustered out September, 1865. He took a part in all the battles of the regiment, and at the battle of Prairie Grove was wounded in the right hand by a minie ball. He has been Township Treasurer for several years, also School District Treasurer. He was married at Dayton, Ohio, January 28, 1852, to Miss Rosanna Gerue. They have five children - Mary, Rudolph, Rosa, Franklin and Joseph.
C. T. SHIPPS, merchant, was born in Fountain County, Ind., January 18, 1845. Graduated from Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind., in the class of 1868. He enlisted August 10, 1863, in Company H, One Hundred and Sixteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry for six months, and discharged by reason of expiration of term of service, March 1, 1864. Then entered college and graduated in the scientific course. He was principal of the Noblesville, Ind., public schools for one year, and Arcadia, Ind., public schools, two years. In May, 1871, he came to Kansas, settling on a homestead in Pottawatomie County. Taught school in the county one year, and in 1872 was elected county superintendent of public instruction, and served one term. Afterward taught in the county four years, the last two at St. George. September 18, 1878, opened business as a general merchant at St. George, and is still in the same line. Was appointed postmaster, October 22, 1878, for St. George. He was married August 30, 1876, at Louisville, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Huggins. They have one child-Clara E., born September 7, 1877.
CONSTANTINE UMSCHEID, farmer, P. O. St. George, was born in Bavaria, May 26, 1844. In 1861 he came to the United States, settling in Pottawatomie County, Kan. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Company H of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. He was promoted to musician and sergeant, serving three years, taking part in all the battles of that splendid corps. After the war he clerked for a year for John C. Grunt, Leavenworth, and then returned to his farm in this county, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1876 he was elected County Commissioner for Pottawatomie County, serving two years. He has been township trustee for one term. He was married May 12, 1867, in Pottawatomie County, Kan., to Miss Monica Repp. They have five children - Fannie, Eugene, Mary, Rosa and Bertha.
E. WALKER, real estate broker and insurance agent, was born in Orleans County, Vt., January 3, 1835. Came to Kansas in 1857, from Des Moines, Iowa. Was Register of Deeds for Pottawatomie County in 1858, and served two terms. Enlisted as a private in Company C, Ninth Kansas Cavalry, August 22, 1862; was promoted Sergeant Major in October, the same year; was commissioned Second Lieutenant in January, 1864, for the Sixteenth Kansas regiment; was discharged in August 1865. In 1872 he was a delegate to the Republican State Convention. He is a Republican, and cast his first vote for John C. Fremont, in 1856. He was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives in 1878, serving in the sessions of 1879. His business is general broker, insurance and real estate agent. He was married in November, 1864, at Manhattan, Kan., to Miss. E. C. Gillaspie. They have four children - Oma, Stella, Lucius A. And Flora L.
Olesburgh is a Swedish settlement for the most part. In church organization it has a Swedish Lutheran, Swedish Methodist, and United Brethren church. The church services have been held in the schoolhouse of the village, which was built in 1880, and having been injured by a cyclone, it was rebuilt in 1882. It is a frame building, 24x36 feet. Its cost was $1,200. Its business in 1882 is as shown below: General stores-O. Fagerberg & Bro., Nicholas Bittinger, and Caldsen & Blaney; druggist-John Johnson; hotel-George Shehi; livery-George Shehi & Bro.; lumber dealers-Foster & Sons; Postmaster-O. Fagerberg.
This is a thriving hamlet, containing a stone schoolhouse, 25x36 feet, two stone churches, the Swedish Lutheran having been built in 1874, at a cost of $4,000; a Swedish Methodist in 1878, at a cost of $2,500; a blacksmith shop; a grange store, J. Williams, manager, who is also postmaster. John A. Johnson, the proprietor of this place, laid it out April 12, 1871, on Section 5, Township 7, Range 7.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - BLUE VALLEY TOWNSHIP.
OSCAR FAGERBERG, merchant, Olesburgh, was born in Sweden, October 21, 1849. At the age of sixteen years he came to America with his father, setting in Porter County, Ind. In 1870 he came to Kansas, locating in Manhattan, and worked as a painter for several years. October 6, 1876, he moved to Pottawatomie County, and began business as a merchant, at Mariadahl. Had the post-office established at that place and was the postmaster. In 1880 he moved to Olesburgh, was appointed postmaster of that station. He with his brother, C. W. Fagerberg, firm name O. Fagerberg & Bro., are engaged in general merchandise, agricultural implements, wagons, and handle stock, grain, etc. They handle $65,000 worth of merchandise a year, and $100,00 worth of stock and grain. He was married, March, 1880, in Riley County, Kan., to Miss Hannah Miller. They have one child, Oscar Dixon, born August 5, 1881.
NICHOLAS PITTENG. R, (sic) merchant, Olesburgh, was born in Clinton County, O., July 3, 1829. When a child his parents moved to Marshall County, Ind., where he was educated and taught school for several years. In 1853 he removed to Knox County, Ill., and lived two years. In 1855 he settled in Kirksville, Mo., and engaged in clerking. In 1859 he moved to Kansas, locating in Shannon Township, Pottawatomie Co., but returned the next year to Missouri. In the fall of 1861 he again removed to Kansas and has lived here since. In 1868 he was elected Assessor for Pottawatomie County, serving one term. In 1877 began business as a merchant, at Adam's Peak, and in 1881, moved his business to Olesburg. He is a member of the Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F. He was married December 31, 1853, in Knox County, Ill., to Miss Catharine Cooper. They have four children, all grown, except one, Georgiana, aged seven years.
J. W. STEWART, M. D., Olesburgh, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., November 16, 1829. He studied medicine in Wabash, Ind., with Dr. T. C. Hunter, and with Drs. Gillin, Holloway and Teague. He attended the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College, and entered upon the practice in Wabash, Ind. In 1863-4, he was in business at Texas, Henry Co., Ohio. Returning to Wabash, he resumed business there, which continued until 1870, when he came to Kansas, locating on a farm in the southern part of Washington County. He continued on the farm until 1881, when he removed to Olesburgh, and is now in practice there. He was married, March 9, 1866, at Texas, Ohio, to Mrs. Clara Allen. They have five children.
OTHER TOWNS AND VILLAGES.
Blue Township. - This is the southwest township of the county and it has much to do with Manhattan, the county-seat of Riley. Its area is about forty-five square miles. Its shape is exceedingly irregular. No portion of the county has had settlers who have made their impress on public affair more than have those who settled early on the Big Blue. At the Juniata crossing of this river was Samuel D. Dyer, who had charge of a government bridge ere the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act. Among the early settlers were the family of Asahel Gilbert Allen, who left Roxbury, Mass., October 17, 1854, and settled at Juniata early in December, 1854. February 18, 1855, Mrs. Dunklin, the mother of the wife of J. Dyer, died, and her funeral was held on the following day. There were twenty-eight person present. A Sunday-school was organized here April 27, 1856. The three male teachers were Rev. Mr. Lovejoy, Mr. Nealy and Mr. Allen. The female teachers were Mrs. Lovejoy, Mrs. Child and Mrs. Allen. The librarian was Dr. S. Whitehorne. There were thirty-one pupils. June 3, 1856, the first quarterly meeting of the Methodist Episcopal Church North was held here. Elder Goodnow presided, and Rev. Mr. Lovejoy was given the circuit. Rev. Messrs. Blood, Denison, Griffin and Trafton were present. There were eighteen at dinner at Mrs. Allen's and the bill of fare was baked beans, plum pudding, bread and butter. Mrs. Allen's son, John Adams Allen, born in June, 1842, is now the manager of the Co-operative Grange store at Manhattan. Moody Powers is one of the early settlers of this township. On Elbow Creek, in this township, is a neat church building erected by the Catholics, situated near the dwelling of Mr. Richard Sheehan, one of its most earnest patrons.
Clear Creek Township includes within its limits Butler, a station on the Kansas Central, whose postoffice is Blaine. Dennis V. Cox is postmaster. Blaine was laid out October 14, 1879. Jacob Weederbrook is station-agent. Downing & Cox have a general store; John O'Connell a blacksmith shop; Thomas McDonald is the lumber dealer; J. W. Bell and Harry Donley, hotel keepers. The Catholics have a church building here, which is a frame, 30x50 feet. Its cost was about $2,500. It was built in 1881. The pastor is father Hudson. Here is a frame schoolhouse which cost $400.
Pottawatomie Township now has three postoffice-Hanson, Myer's Valley and Pleasant Run. The general stores at Myer's Valley are kept by Jesse Harvey and J. W. Smith; at Pleasant Run, by George W. Duncan. This is a large grain-growing region, and the shipments are mostly made at St. George.
Shannon Township, embracing Townships 6 and 7, Range 12, is the westernmost (sic) township in the county that touches the Marshall County line. Its area is about seventy-two square miles. Its post-offices are Springside, which is in the northern portion of the township; Otter Lake, in the central portion, and Adams' Peak, in the southern.
Center Township has its business center at Laclede. This village is situated on the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 19, Township 8, Range 11. Here is a drug store, blacksmith shop, general store, restaurant and grist-mill. J. Taylor is the blacksmith; D. Hennekson has a restaurant and grocery; A. P. Davis and Thomas Prunty, general stores; L. C. Prunty, a mill and store.
Belvue Township. - This is one of the southern tier of townships on the Kansas River. Its chief point of interest is Belvue, a thriving young village on the main branch of the Kansas Pacific. This village was laid out by A. J. Baker and Malcolm Gregory, March 14, 1871. The township has a steam saw-mill and a steam flouring mill. The remaining post-offices of the county are Oak Grove and Harrison-the latter a railroad town on the Kansas Central, and on the banks of the Big Blue, in Greene Township; Leghorn and Arispie, in Sherman Township; Vienna, in Vienna Township; St. Clere, in St. Clere Township; Laclede, in Union Township.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - BELVUE TOWNSHIP.
GEORGE H. EVERETT, farmer, P. O. Belvue, was born in Hillsboro County, N. H., December 22, 1838. At the age of five years his parents moved with him to Woodford County, Ill. September 5, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Fourth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, serving three years and two months. Was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, and several other engagements. He was engaged in teaching school, before and after the war, in Illinois and Kansas. In 1866 he came to Kansas, settling in Shawnee County. In 1871 moved to Belvue. He owns a splendid farm and is engaged in stock-raising. He was a Justice of the Peace for four years. He was married, September 19, 1865, at Oberline, O., to Miss Elsie S. Spees, a school teacher. They have six children; Ernest T., Charles H., Roscoe S. and Rollo D., twins, Clayton W., and Clifford R., twins.
F. D. FOREMAN, farmer and fruit-grower, P. O. St. Mary's was born in Highland County, Ohio, June 23, 1835. When thirteen years of age, his parents removed to Montgomery County, Ill., thence to Monroe County, Iowa, in 1857. In 1874 came to Kansas, settling first in Washington County, where he worked as a miller until 1878, when he settled near Belvue, Pottawatomie County. He is engaged in farming and fruit-growing. Was married at Cuba, Monroe Co., Iowa., to Miss Anna M. Lloyd. They have five children - A. M., Samuel E., Elmer E, Charles and Earle.
SWEN P. JOHNSON, farmer, P. O. Bellvue, was born in Sweden, August 17, 1837. In 1854, came to America, settling in Marshall County, Ill., where he lived four years. In 1858 he came to Kansas, and located on a farm in Butler County, living there six years, and was County Commissioner for two years. In 1864, settled in Belvue Township and engaged in farming. He was married in 1860, in Butler County, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Thomas. They have give children: Mary A., Margaret, Eleander, John H., and Alice.
THOMAS S. PASCHAL, farmer, P. O. Belvue, was born in Delaware Couuty (sic), Pa., July 17, 1845. At the age of twelve years, parents moved to Westmoreland County, Pa. In June, 1863; enlisted in Fifty-third Volunteer Pennsylvania Militia, serving three months. In August, 1864, he again enlisted in Company H, Two Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. In March, 1871 he moved to Kansas, settling at Belvue. Is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He has a herd of thorough-bred Short-horns, and pure blood Berkshire swine. In 1880 he was elected Justice of the Peace of Belvue Township and re-elected in 1882. He was married, December 25, 1867, to Miss Annie E. Ross, in Westmoreland County, Pa. They have three children - Olive E., born November 17, 1868; Benjamin R., born July 1870; Thomas, born June 24, 1877.
HENRY E. SHORTT, farmer, P. O. Belvue, was born in Cass County, Ill., August 29, 1850. In 1869, came to Kansas, settling in Belvue, and engaged in farming, buying grain and stock. In 1880, with a brother, he engaged in general merchandise, in Belvue, but in 1882, sold out the store, continuing his grain and stock speculations. He has a large, fine farm, and buys and ships large quantities of stock and grain.
L. C. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Laclede, was born in Decatur County, Ind., August 12, 1830, but spent his youth in Shelby County. In 1849 moved to Missouri, and in 1850 went overland to California, where he spent a year and a half in the mines. In 1852 returned by the way of Panama and New Orleans to Missouri, where he married, July 11, 1853, Miss Mary Roberts. In 1857 he settled in Woodson County, Kan., and took an active part under Gen. Lane, in the struggle that made Kansas a free State. At the beginning of the war, he enlisted in a Kansas State regiment, which, after four months, became the Ninth Kansas Cavalry. Mr. Thompson was the First Lieutenant of his company, and after four months' service resigned and emigrated to Iowa. He enlisted in an Iowa regiment, and rose to the rank of Major. He lived in Davis County, Iowa, and for fourteen years was one of the largest live stock shippers in the State. Again in 1876 came to Kansas, settling in Pottawatomie County, where he is an extensive farmer and stock-raiser. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
BUSHROD WASHINGTON, miller, P. O. Belvue, was born in Fayette County, Pa., June 2, 1824. Learned the millwright business. Worked at his trade in various cities of the Western States, and February 28, 1857, entered Kansas at Wyandotte. Here he built a mill, and was engaged in milling until 1870, when he sold his mill, and began trading in lumber. In 1872 sold his lumber-yard and stock, and purchased one-half of a flouring mill at the I. & L. Junction, Ray County, Mo. In 1874 moved to Pottawatomie County, Kan., locating in Belvue, where he is now in trade in grain and in the milling business, having bought out a mill and elevator. Has been Township Treasurer. He was married March 25, 1855, at Pittsburg, Pa., to Miss Sarah Emma Taylor. In 1857 Mrs. Washington died; and, again, he was married October 5, 1870, at Fremont, Ohio, to Miss Anna Sharp. They have two sons - Albert and George.
JOSEPH WELCH, farmer, P. O. Belvue, was born in Cook County, Ill., March 16, 1834. In 1844 moved with the Pottawatomie Indians to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and from there went to the Choctaw Academy, Scott County, Ky., where he was a student for two years. Meanwhile the Pottawatomies having removed to Kansas in 1848, he rejoined his mother in Pottawatomie County, Kan., and located on a farm, where he still lives, engaged in farming. He has a splendid farm of 320 acres on Lost Creek, and is one of most substantial farmers of the county. He was township trustee for seven years, and has been elected Justice of the Peace. He was married August 11, 1861, at St. Mary's, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Duchrue. They have seven children - Carrie (Mrs. Montow), Mary P., John L., Joseph Morris, Francis M., Clinton and Charles. Mr. Welch served in the Twentieth Regiment of Militia in the Price and Indian raids of 1864.
A. S. WORTHING, farmer, P. O. Belvue, was born in Bristol, Grafton County, N. H. When a child, his parents moved to Ohio, and when Mr. Worthing was sixteen years of age, they settled in Kendal County, Ill. In 1872 he came to Kansas, settling on a farm in Belvue Township, where he still lives. He owns a splendid farm of 320 acres, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married March 15, 1855, to Miss Ester A. Barron, in Kendall County, Ill. They have three children - Edwin A., Estella P. And May L.