|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (KEENEY - WHITNEY).
B. L. KEENEY, Sheriff. He first located in Pawnee County, October 4, 1876, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until August, 1879, when he came to Larned and clerked; was Deputy Sheriff two years and elected Sheriff of Pawnee County in the fall of 1881. He was born in Wyoming County, Pa., December 10, 1840, and raised in his native county. He enlisted April 23, 1861, in Company I. Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves. He participated in all the battles of his command; was wounded at Spottsylvania Court House, May 12, 1864, and taken prisoner, being held three days, and was re-captured by Union soldiers; discharged on account of wound December 29, 1864. After his army life he returned to his native place and lived until he came to Kansas. He was married September 20, 1865, to Miss Clara Thayer, of Laceyville, Wyoming County, Penn. His wife died May 19, 1875; was again married October 5, 1882, to Miss Dora Williams, of the latter place. He is a member of the Blue Lodge Chapter, and Commandery A., F & A. M.; also of B. F., Larned Post No. 8, G. A. R.
RUFUS KIRK, stock-raiser, came to Larned, Kansas, in the spring of 1876, and engaged in the cattle business on a small scale. He is one of the members of the Comanche County, Kansas, Cattle Pool. This cattle pool was formed in the spring of 1879, and is composed of twelve members. They control 1,250,000 acres of land in southeast Comanche County and the Indian Territory. They own 50,080 head of cattle. In 1882 they fenced the whole tract of land at a cost of $33,000, making 160 miles of barbed wire fence, four wires high. They employ forty-eight men, one superintendent and three directors. Each member of the pool has his own brand and pays expenses according to the number of cattle owned by him. Mr. Kirk has 1,832 head. He was born in Stark County, Ohio, May 7, 1824; his father was a farmer and moved to Freeport, Illinois, in 1857. The subject of this sketch farmed there eight years and followed the livery business some length of time with the sale of farm implements, etc., until the spring of 1876, when he came to Kansas. He was married in 1852 to Miss May S. Davis, a native of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Ada C., now Mrs. A. J. Runner; Mina V. married Mr. W. H. Ziegler, of Larned; Truman H., a clerk in Lowrey Bros.' store, of Larned; Burton D., at home. Mr. Kirk is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Larned.
N. J. KRUSEN, stock-raiser and dealer, southwest quarter of Section 32, Township 21, Range 16. He owns 160 acres adjoining Larned town site on the west; seventy acres of it are cultivated. He has a stock ranch thirty miles west of the village of Pawnee Creek. He came to Larned in 1875, and invested quite largely in real estate and the stock business. He owns a half- interest in the town site. He was born in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, April 8, 1846, and lived in his native place until twenty-three years of age, and moved to Lapeer County, Mich., and engaged in the drug business until he came to Kansas. He enlisted August 13, 1864, in Company D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to Commissary Sergeant of his regiment. He participated in the battle of Fort Steadman, March 25, and at Petersburg, April 2, 1865, and skirmishes at Winchester Picket Line, and was mustered out June 7, 1865. He was married in 1864 to Miss Elide M. Closson, of Allegany County, New York. They have two children, Maude M., and George N. He is a member of the first three orders of Masonry, and Encampment Lodge I. O. O. F. and B. F., Larned Post, No. 8, G. A. R. He has been a member of the City Council for three years.
LOWREY BROTHERS, dealers in a general line of hardware, groceries and agricultural implements. They opened trade in March, 1874, and employed one man in the business, and carried a stock of $2,500. They now employ nine men and carry an average stock of $25,000. They occupy a brick store of 140 feet, and sixty feet deep and twenty-five feet wide, fronting on two streets. Their individual names are: E. W. and H. J. Lowrey. E. W. Lowrey first came to Great Bend, Kansas, in August, 1873, and remained six months. Thence came to Larned and opened the hardware business under the firm name of Fry & Lowrey, and changed to the present style in the fall of 1878. He was born in Summit County, Ohio, February 22, 1853, and was raised and educated in his native county. He went to Iowa City, Iowa, and attended the Iowa State University two years. He married in 1880, Miss Mamie McCracken, of London, Ohio. They have two children, Bessie and Ernest B. Mr. Lowrey is a Director of the First National Bank of Larned, and a Director of the Pawnee Valley Stock Breeders Association. He is extensively engaged in stock-raising. He is a member of the three branches of Masonry.
TIM McCARTHY, postmaster, was born in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland, in 1835. Came to the United States in 1851, living in Boston, Mass., about three years, and in August, 1854 enlisted for general service in the United States army, and was assigned to Company K, First United States Infantry; served at Fort Columbus, New York Harbor; Fort Duncan, Texas, and was discharged by reason of expiration of service at Fort Lancaster, same State, in August, 1859. He went to New Orleans, La., and from there to New York, on July 4, 1860, when he again enlisted March 11, 1861. Was one of the two hundred selected to reinforce Fort Sumter, and sailed in the steamer "Baltic" for that purpose, in, April, 1861; returned, after the surrender, with Major Anderson and his command to Governor's Island New York Harbor, and was assigned to Company K, Third United States Infantry. He participated in the following battles; First Bull Run, July 21, 1861; Siege of Yorktown, April and May, 1862; Gaines Mills, June 27, 1862; Malvern Hills, June 30, and July 1, 1862; Second Bull Run, August 30, 1862; Antietam, September 17, 1862; Fredericksburg, December 13, 14 and 15, 1862; Chancellorsville, May 2, 3, and 4, 1863; Gettysburg, July 2, 3, and 4, 1863; Rappahannock Station, November 7, 1863; after which the regiment was ordered to Fort Columbus, New York Harbor, for the purpose of recruiting and re-organizing, at which place he was discharged March 11, 1864, as Sergeant-Major of the regiment. Re-enlisted May 12, 1864, in Company E, Third United States Infantry, then at Fort Hamilton, New York Harbor, went with his regiment to the front, and was engaged through General Grant's Campaign in front of Petersburg, including the surrender of Lee at Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865. Returned to Washington, D. C., after the war closed and was sent to St. Louis, Missouri, and from there to Jefferson Barracks, same State, and from there to Fort Riley, Kansas, in 1866, and on the expiration of term of service was discharged May 12, 1867, at Fort Wallace, Kansas, as First Sergeant of his Company. He went to Larned, Kansas, in 1870; was County Commissioner of Pawnee County in 1873; County Clerk two terms from 1874 to 1878 inclusive, and Mayor of Larned in 1877; appointed postmaster in 1878; re- appointed in 1879, when the office was made presidential, and again re- appointed February 26, 1883. He was married in 1875 to Miss Julia Seely of Knoxville, Pennsylvania. They have one daughter, Nora. He is Post Commander of B. F., Larned Post No. 8, Department of Kansas Grand Army of the Republic.
CHARLES A. MORRIS, Register United States Land Office at Larned, Kansas, was born in Clinton County, Pennsylvania, July 2, 1839, and when a child moved with his parents to Allegany County, New York, educated in the common schools, and at Friendship and Richburg Academies, New York; engaged in teaching school at the age of eighteen, and continued in this vocation until the war of the Rebellion. Enlisted as a private in Company E, Fifth Regiment New York Cavalry, in July 1861; participated in all the battles of his command, until August 2, 1862, when he was severely wounded in a cavalry engagement at Orange Court House, Virginia, from the effects of which he was subsequently discharged, when he resumed teaching and the study of law in Clinton County, Pa. In September, 1864, having partly recovered from his wounds, he raised a company of which he was made captain and the company was assigned to the Two Hundred and Third Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers, as Company G. He participated in all the engagements of his command and was mustered out with his regiment, at Raleigh, North Carolina, June 22, 1865. Removed from Pennsylvania to Kansas in November, 1865, locating at Fort Scott, and took charge of the mercantile house of J. F. White for one year; was then appointed Deputy Treasurer of Bourbon County, and remained in that position two years, was then elected County Treasurer for two consecutive terms; was re-appointed Adjutant-General of Kansas and private Secretary to Governor Thomas A. Osborn in January, 1873, which position he held until February, 1875, when he resigned them and accepted the appointment of Register of the United States Land Office at Larned, Kansas; was re-appointed in 1879, and has since held this position. He was admitted to the practice of law in 1875. While residing at Fort Scott he was for several years City Treasurer and a member of the City Council. He was a delegate from Kansas to the National Republican Convention held at Philadelphia in 1872, and was a member of the Committee on Resolutions. He was married in 1864 to Miss Elizabeth F. Stewart, a daughter of Robert Stewart, of Clinton County, Pa., now of Fort Scott, Kansas. They have five children: Annie F., Mary E., Ellen G., Louisa and Charles A. He is a member of the Masonic order, and of the I. O. O. F.
J. W. MORRIS, attorney-at-law, loan and collection agent. He first came to Fort Scott, Kansas, in August, 1866, where he took charge of the Fort Scott Mills and Woolen Factory a year. He then became a clerk in the wholesale and retail house of McDonald & Co. a year. He then engaged in the hotel business about the same length of time. Then clerked in a drug store four years. Thence went to Topeka, and took charge of Kansas State Militia during the Indian war of 1874-75, and in February of the latter year he came to Larned, Kansas, and opened a law office. He was born in Allegany County, New York, February 2, 1844. Was raised and educated in his native county. Began the study of law in 1867, and was admitted to the bar of practice in the district courts of Pawnee County in 1875. He served as City Attorney in 1882-83. Was married in 1874 to Miss Ella G. Stewart, of Fort Scott, Kansas, a native of Clinton County, Pennsylvania. They have one daughter, Emma E. He is a member of the Masonic order and I. O. O. F.
T. G. PAYNE, general dealer in live-stock and produce, also city auctioneer. Came to Kansas in 1873. He is interested in cattle raising to quite an extent, having 400 acres of land near the Arkansas River, all improved, where he also keeps a large amount of cattle. He was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1838, lived there until a young man grown, when he went to Coles County, Ill., where he farmed and peddled until he came to Kansas. In 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command, and was wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville, and the second battle of the Wilderness. Was mustered out in June, 1864. He was married in February, 1873, to Miss L. G. Carr, of Coles County, Ill. They have three children - George G., Richard E., and Ada. He is now Deputy United States Marshal. Has served as Deputy Sheriff of Pawnee County, five years, and ably filled several minor offices.
O. V. PROCTOR, dealer in fruits, foreign and domestic confectionery, cigars etc. He first came to Larned, Kan., in 1876, and engaged in his present business. He owns a stock ranch seven miles above Larned, on the Arkansas River, where he keeps live-stock (sic). He was born in Rutland County, Vt., May 21, 1843, in Fair Haven Township, and was raised in his native county. Enlisted November, 1861, in Barton's Sharpshooters Brigade, and participated in all the battles of his command. He lost his health from exposure in the army, and was discharged for disability, contracted while in service, in the fall of 1862. He returned to his home and followed agricultural pursuits for some time. He first came to Eastern Kansas in 1875, soon he went to Colorado, and returned to Pawnee County in the spring of 1876. He is a member of B. F. Larned Post, No. 8. Draws a pension of $18 per month. Is a Republican in politics.
DR. W. M. RHEA, physician and surgeon; he first came to Larned in the spring of 1878, and opened a medical office, where he has since practiced his profession. He was born in Juniata County, Pa., January 26, 1840; lived in Juniata County, Pa., until he was seven years of age; received his literary education at Mount Holly Institute at Adesville, Pa. He graduated from the Medical Department of the Ann Arbor, Mich., University, in the class of 1869. He commenced the practice of his profession at Shade Gap, Huntingdon Co., Pa., and continued there until he came to Kansas, excepting nine months practice at Mount Union, Pa. He was married September 29, 1874, to Miss Ellen V. Lupfer, of Perry County, Pa. They have three children - Oliver L., Mabel M., and Willie. He was Mayor of Larned in 1882. He was elected to the House of Representatives, State Legislature, in the fall of 1882, from the One Hundred and Sixteenth District of Kansas. He is United States Examining Surgeon for pensions. He is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M.; I. O. O. F. of East and E. A. U. of Larned.
FRANK E. SAGE, president of the Pawnee Valley Stock Breeders Association. He first came to Larned, Kan. in August, 1881, and engaged in the stock business. He was born in London, Canada, January 26, 1842, and lived in his native country until nineteen years old; thence went to Chicago, Ill., and was a traveling salesman until the fall of 1875. He then went to Colfax County, N. M., and engaged in the raising of sheep. He had an extensive ranch, beginning with 2,200 head of sheep, and in July, 1881, sold 10,000 head. He has been a director and stockholder of the First National Bank of Larned. He is now a member of the Masonic fraternity of the latter city. He was married July 26, 1864, to Miss Mary M. Jackson, a native of Canada.
WILLIAM B. SMITH, real estate, loan, insurance, and United States pension agent. All kinds of government claims successfully prosecuted. He came to Larned, Kan., August 1, 1875, and engaged in the above business. He has also been extensively engaged in erecting buildings, some of which are among the best in the city. He is one of the proprietors of the town site. His dwelling is built of cut stone at a cost of $4,000, size 40x30 feet, two stories high. He was born in Hornellsville, Steuben Co., N. Y., September 14, 1837, and was raised in Tioga County, Pa.; lived there until 1859; thence went to Richmond, Ray Co., Mo., and taught school two years, thence to Garnett, Anderson Co., Kan., where he bought a farm of 800 acres and followed agricultural pursuits two years. Returned to Pennsylvaina (sic), and enlisted October 30, 1863, in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, was soon after transferred to the Eighteenth Veteran Reserve Corps. He was discharged by general order, July 21, 1865. He then located in Tioga County, Pa., and engaged in real estate, insurance, and pension business, and there attended to over 3,000 pensions. He was married March 25, 1866, to Miss Sarah H. Shove, of Tioga County, Pa., a native of Dutchess County, N. Y. They have four children - Gracie, Maggie B., William H., and Francis. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Masonic order, I. O. O. F., and the Equitable Aid Union.
JUDGE J. C. STRANG, of the Sixteenth Judicial District, comprising ten organized counties of Kansas, located in Larned, April 21, 1877 and opened a law office in connection with Mr. Van Winkle, under the firm name of Van Winkle and Strang. In the fall of 1878, he was elected County Attorney, and served one term. He was elected State Senator from the Thirty-seventh or Empire District in the fall of 1880, and after serving during the session of 1880-81, was appointed judge of the same district in March, 1881, and elected to the same office for a term of four years in the following year, commencing January 8, 1882. Judge Strang was born in Newfield, Tompkins Co., N. Y., December 31, 1842. He attended the Ithica and Watkins Academies, graduating from the latter in 1863, after which he attended the private academy of John A. Jewett, and then commenced the study of law in the office of B. B. Strang, in Westfield, Pa. He was admitted to practice in the Circuit Court of Wellsboro, Pa., in 1867, and in the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and the United States Circuit and District Courts of the same State in 1868, having commenced the practice of his profession a (sic) Westfield, in the fall of 1867. He was subsequently elected District Attorney of Tioga County Pa., and served a full term of three years in that position, practicing in all the courts of the State. In 1866 he was married to Mrs. Mary E. Strang, nee Lyon, their only child being Lulu, born July 16, 1878. Judge Strang was one of the organizers of the Temperance Volunteers of Kansas, being elected associate G. C. at the first election in Topeka, and at the second election at Bismarck Grove, taking the place of Mr. Albert Griffin as G. C. The bill, which after some modifications by the Senate, became the Kansas Prohibitory Law, was drafted and introduced to that body by Judge Strang.
B. F. STOKES, proprietor of livery, sale, and feed stables. He began the business in June 1875, was burned out July 1, 1877, rebuilt same fall. He now keeps a stock of twenty horses and ten buggies and carriages. He first came to Larned in the fall of 1874, farmed until he began the above business. He was born in Nichols County, Ky., November 27, 1827. Emigrated with his parents to Sangamon County, Ill., in 1831, where he was raised and educated. Since lived in Eureka and Christian counties, and followed farming until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1849 to Miss Elzira C. Cooper of the latter county, Illinois. They have two children - John Wesley and Minnie Melvina. He and his family are members of the Christian Church. His wife died November 21,1881. He was again married October 7, 1882, to M. E. Lorence, of Larned, Kan., a native of Missouri. He has been a member of the City Council two years. He has 160 acres of fine land, 100 acres of which are cultivated. John Wesley, his son, has charge of the same.
W. L. TANNER, general dealer in all kinds of farmers' produce, live-stock (sic), etc. He came to Kansas in 1869 and located in Larned in business in 1876. He engaged in butchering and running a meat market four years; then into his present business, etc. He was born in Bradford County, Pa., September 18, 1842, and was raised in his native county. Enlisted May 15, 1861, in Company F, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves, and served for three years; re-enlisted in One Hundred and Ninety-first Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Infantry; participated in all the battles of his command and was discharged from hospital June 14, 1865; wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor and taken prisoner August 19, 1864; wounded April 9, 1865, at Appomatox(sic) Court House, at Gen. R. E. Lee's surrender. After his army life he farmed and followed various occupations until he came to Kansas. Married in 1875, to Miss Mary E. Evans, of Tioga County, Pa. They have two children - Gracie A. and Daniel C.
R. A. TRIMBLE, physician and surgeon and dealer in a general line of drugs and medicines. He came to Larned in the fall of 1875, where he has since continued the practice of his profession. He opened the drug business in the fall of 1880, and carries an average stock of $2,000. He first came to Douglas County, Kan., in the summer of 1869, and practiced medicine at Lecompton, until he came to Larned. He was born in Flemingsburg, Ky., October 17, 1838, and was raised and educated in his native county. He began the study of medicine at the age of eighteen under a private instructor. He began the practice of his profession in Missouri in 1867, in which State he enjoyed an extensive practice. He was married in the spring of 1861, to Miss Mary E. Liter of Bourbon County, Ky. They have seven children - Berta, Joseph W., Robert L., Burgess, Susie and Harry, also a daughter not yet named. The Doctor is a member of the State Central Democratic Committee, and Chairman of the Pawnee County Central Democratic Committee and appointed Surgeon-General State Militia by Governor Glick.
CHARLES VAN HORNE, firm of E. R. & C. Van Horn(sic), proprietors Larned City Steam Flouring Mills. These mills were moved from Macon City, Ill., and erected in Larned in the summer of 1876. Size, 40 feet square, with one elevator 24x40 feet, three stories high and basement, propelled by a forty-five horse-power engine. The capacity of the mills is 20,000 pounds of flour in twenty-four hours. Capacity of the elevator is 400 bushels per hour. The mills and elevator cost $30,000 in round numbers. They employ six men in the business. Mr. Charles Van Horne came to Larned in November, 1875, and began improvements, etc.; came with his family in 1877. He was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., August 3, 1828; moved with his parents to Jersey County, Ill., in 1833, were he was raised; moved to Macon County, Ill., on a farm in 1866, and engaged in agricultural pursuits one year; clerked in Macon County Flouring Mills a short time, after which he bought and operated them until he removed to Kansas. Sold one-half interest to his brother, E. R. Van Horne, in 1868. Charles Van Horne was married in 1855, to Miss Sarah A. Van Horne of Delaware County, N. Y. They have three children - Charles E., now clerk in Lowrey Brothers' store at Larned; Nellie and Willard E., students in Larned City school. Mr. Van Horne has been a member of City Council some time.
J. M. VAN WINKLE, County Attorney, came to Larned in March, 1874, and opened a law office. He was born in Shelby County, Ill., August 12, 1847, and was raised in Christian County, Ill.; educated in his native State; attended Lenox Collegiate Institute of Hopkinton, Iowa; entered the law office of J. C. McBride as a student in 1871, at Taylorsville, Ill.; admitted to the bar of practice in the District Court in June, 1874. He was elected to the office of County Attorney the following fall, and by re-election has held the office three terms. Married in October, 1878, to Miss Anna Lyon of Steuben County, N. Y. They have one son and a daughter - Paul, born September 6, 1879, and Gretchen, born September 19, 1881. He is a member of the Masonic order of Larned, and a Republican in politics. He is now extensively engaged in the stock business, owning a ranch ten miles north of Larned consisting of 320 acres fine land, and keeps the improved shorthorn Durhams and Herford(sic) cattle imported.
W. H. VERNON, attorney-at-law, is a member of the firm of Van Winkle & Vernon. They do a regular law and general collection business. He first came to Douglas County, Kan., from Linn County, Mo., in the fall of 1869. He taught and attended school for some time; was also a student in the North Missouri State Normal School two years. Began the study of law in 1873, in the law office of Thacher & Stevens, of Lawrence, Kan. He was admitted to the bar to practice in the District Courts of Douglas County, May 20, 1875. He then began the practice of law, and clerked in the office of the County Attorney of Douglas County until he came to Larned, where he opened a law and loan office in October, 1875. He was married April 8, 1874, to Miss Ella S. Pate, of Clarksville, Va. They have four children - Estella N., Laura P., William H., and Robert Pate. Mrs. Vernon is a niece of Territorial Governor Woodson. Mr. Vernon was born in Athens County, Ohio, February 6, 1852, where he lived until fourteen years of age, when he came to Linn County, Mo.
G. H. WADSWORTH, stock-raiser and dealer in real estate. He is also agent for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad lands. He also deals largely in wool. In 1882 he bought and shipped 350,000 pounds of wool, all the product of Southwestern Kansas. He has a sheep ranch eleven miles southeast of Larned, consisting of 1,200 acres fine grazing lands. He contemplates making an additional purchase which will include 2,560 acres total. He is the pioneer sheep man of Pawnee County, and now has a stock of over 8,000 graded merino sheep. He deals also quite largely in cattle. He first came to Pawnee County in 1875, and brought over 2,000 head of the above varieties of sheep. He was born in Courtland County, N. Y., August 18, 1830, and was raised in Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties until 1854. He then went to Kane County, Ill., where he engaged in farming and stock-raising until 1866; thence emigrated to Cedar County, Iowa, and followed the same business until he came to Kansas. He was married in December, 1854, to Miss Adaline F. Woodward of Chautauqua County, N. Y. They have two children - Mattie D., married to Mr. Jacob Holfrinch, now a widow; husband died in 1878; Charles F. now has charge of their sheep ranch.
JAMES F. WHITNEY, County Clerk, came to Larned, Kan., in April, 1874, locating on a homestead. He followed agricultural pursuits until elected Register of Deeds in the fall of 1875 for one term; expired in 1878; again farmed until elected to his present office in the fall of 1879 and by re- election has since held the office. He was born in Coles County, Ill., September 4, 1843. Lived in his native county until 1851; thence went to Pendleton County, Ky., where he lived until 1861, and July 31, 1861, he enlisted in Company D., Forty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was wounded in the battles of Fort Donaldson and Shiloh, and was discharged November 10, 1862, on account of wounds. He then clerked in a sutler's store of different regiments for two years, after which he settled on a farm near Nattoon (sic), Ill., and farmed until 1870; thence went to Texas, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising for some time and then came to Kansas. He was married in 1865 to Miss Alice Hamblen, of Mattoon, Ill. They have five children - Walter H., Ruby A., James F., Mary P., and Jerry T., Bessie (deceased). He is a member of B. F. Larned Post, G. A. R.