|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ADAMS - JORDAAN).
NELSON ADAMS, attorney-at-law. He came to Ogletree, Johnson County, Kan., in December, 1869, and followed agricultural pursuits until 1871; thence to Iola, Allen Co., in same occupation. In 1873 he went to Topeka, and the same winter clerked in Legislature, and in March, 1874, came to Larned, Kan., and opened a law office. He was born in Ross County, Ohio, June 21, 1850, and was raised in his native county, living there until 1864. Enlisted in March of latter year in Company K, Eighty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Participated in the Atlanta Campaign, Jonesburg, etc. He was mustered out August 26, 1865. He then emigrated to Independence, Mo., and lived there two years; thence to Kansas. He began the study of law at the latter place in Missouri, in 1866, and was admitted to the bar May 7, 1873, at Great Bend. Appointed County Attorney same year. Elected Representative to the Legislature from 116th district in 1873. He was married in 1875, to Miss Lillie Brecken, of Henry County, Ill. They have three children - Wirt, George, and Ross. He is a member of B. F. Larned Post, No. 8, G. A. R.
AVERY AINSWORTH, clerk in receiving office of United States Land Office. He came to Augusta, Butler Co. Kan., in the spring of 1870; went into the United States Land Office there in October, 1870, as clerk, removed with the office to Wichita, Kan., in March, 1872, where he remained until the office was removed to Larned, since which he has been in the above capacity. He was born in Medina County, Ohio, May 1, 1847, and was raised and educated in his native county. He was married January 18, 1871, to Miss Hattie A. Ainsworth, of Pleasant Hill, Mo. They have three children - Bruce, Charles, and Ruth. He is a member of the Masonic order of Larned.
R. H. BALLINGER, editor and proprietor of the Larned Chronoscope, newspaper. He came to Pawnee County, Kan., in May, 1873, and engaged in farming and stock-raising, which he yet continues. He now owns about 300 head of cattle. He became the proprietor of the Chronoscope July 9, 1880. His paper has now a circulation of 800, and is Republican in politics. He was born in Knox County, Ky., February 7, 1833, and lived in his native place until 1848. He then lived for some time in Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri, in the practice of law. He enlisted August 21, 1861, in Company A, Third Illinois Cavalry. His first promotion was to Second Lieutenant; then Captain of his company, he afterward became Colonel of the Third Mississippi Colored Regiment. He was mustered out in March, 1864. He was educated under John Russell, a graduate of Yale College. He began the study of law in 1856, in the law office of A. Lincoln, Springfield, Ill. He was admitted to the bar in Polk County, Iowa, in 1857. He was postmaster of Virden, Ill., six years. Subsequent to enlisting he served as assistant journal clerk of the Kansas Legislature. He was married in 1857, to Miss Mary E. Norton, of Chatham, Ill. They have one son - Richard A., now completing his junior year in Williams College, Mass. He is a member of the B. F. Larned Post, No. 8, G. A. R.
D. BARDRICK, dealer in a general line of hardware and groceries. He opened trade in the fall of 1877, now carries a stock of $5,500. He first came to Larned, Kan., in the spring of 1877. He was born in Bedfordshire, England, May 29, 1827. Came to America with his parents in 1837, locating in Vermillion County, Ill., where they lived a few years; thence to Sangamon County, Ill. He was raised on a farm. He studied and was ordained to the holy ministry in 1857. His first charge was at Decatur, Ill., in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has followed preaching twenty-two years of his life, having been an active laborer in the Methodist Episcopal Church in various places in Illinois, until he came to Larned, Kan.; he has also preached many times in the latter State. He was married in 1873, to Miss Sarah Bennyworth, of Macoupin County, Ill.
JOHN R. BASIGER, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddlery, trunks and valises and everything pertaining to a first class harness shop. He opened trade in March 1879 and employs from three to five men. He carries an overage stock of $3,000. His store is 22x60 feet. He first came to Larned in March, 1879, sold goods as a traveling salesman two years in Kansas. He was born in Wangen, Switzerland, March 31, 1840. He came with his parents to America in 1854 and was raised in Delaware County, Ohio. He enlisted April 22, 1861, in Company, I, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, transferred January 8, 1863, into Company B, Thirteenth Veteran Reserve Corps and served as hospital steward in the later. He was mustered out April 22, 1864, being the first soldier mustered out of the United States volunteer service who had served a three years term. He re-entered the service July 27, 1864, as Second Lieutenant, and was mustered in as Captain of Company H, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry the September following, and participated in the battles of Overall Creek and Cedars, Tenn., and Kingston, N C., and many skirmishes. Was mustered out on July 8, 1865. He soon went to Cass County, Mo., and farmed a year and then went into the harness business at Harrisonville, Mo., until 1877, when he went on the road as a salesman for a St. Louis leather house and to introduce his patent hook and terrett pad and hame strap buckle. He was married in December, 1870, to Miss Ellen J. Smith, of Kenton, Ohio. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church of Larned.
DR. H. H. BLACK, physician and surgeon, came to Larned, Kansas, in November, 1882, and opened a medical office, he is also largely engaged in raising sheep, having a ranch a few miles from Larned. He was born in Elkton, Todd County, Ky., November 14, 1840. His parents moved to Hancock County, Ill., when he was a small boy, where he was raised. He was educated in Indianapolis, Ind., graduating from Butler University, in the class of 1865. He soon afterwards began the study and practice of medicine, graduating from the Indiana Medical College of Indianapolis in the class of 1877. He then practiced medicine in Hancock County, Ill., until he came to Kansas. He enlisted in 1862 in Company E, Seventy-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participating in all the battles of his command he was mustered out in the fall of 1863. He was married in November, 1869, to Miss Sarah J. Kelley, of Eastport, Me. They have four children - Mary Eva, Charles Alden, James Robert and Clarence Garfield. He and his family are members of the Christian Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Equitable Aid Union and Hancock County, Ill., Medical Association.
CAPTAIN HENRY BOOTH, Recorder, United States Land Office, was born in Yorkshire, England May 11, 1838; came to the United States with his parents in 1841, locating at Woonsocket, R. I., where he resided until he was eighteen years of age. He then came West, and in September, 1856, settled at Manhattan, Riley Co., Kan., and took a claim of 160 acres on the Big Blue. In August, 1862, he enlisted as private in Company F, Eleventh Kansas Infantry. He was promoted to First Sergeant of his company shortly after. He served about one year and a half in this company. He was given authority to raise a company for this regiment at the time it was transferred to cavalry. He was first commissioned as First Lieutenant. As soon as the company had its complement of men he was commissioned Captain of Company L, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry. He participated in the battles of Old Fort Wayne, Cane Hill, Prairie Grove and Van Buren, in Arkansas. During the Price raid the regiment was ordered to Kansas, while here, Captain Booth was in command of Fort Riley. He was detailed on the staff of the commanding officer of the district as Chief of Cavalry and Inspecting Officer of the district of the upper Arkansas. While on an inspection tour, Captain Booth, accompanied by another officer, while separated from their escort, were attacked by twenty- eight Indians and had a very narrow escape from death. He was wounded in two places, and the other officer received four wounds; twenty-two arrows were taken from the wagon in which they were. One Indian was killed by Capt. Booth. The regiment was afterwards sent to the plains and had several battles and skirmishes with the Indians in the Wyoming Territory. He was mustered out in September, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. He returned to Riley County and went into the hardware and agricultural implement business at Manhattan. In 1867 he was elected to the legislature, receiving the unanimous vote of the county. In 1869 he was appointed postmaster at Fort Larned, in which he continued until the spring of 1873, when, with others, he started the town of Larned, Pawnee County. He built and resided in the first house in the town. He was elected to the legislature from Pawnee County, in the fall of 1873, and again in the fall of 1874. In 1875 he was elected Chief Clerk of the Kansas House of Representatives, and elected again to the position in 1876. In 1878 he was appointed Receiver of the United States Land Office at Larned; re-appointed to the same position in 1882. Capt. Booth has taken an active and important part in building up the southwestern part of the State. May 1, 1867, he married Miss Lucy M. Preston, of Manhattan, daughter of Rev. N. O. Preston, who was until his death in February, 1866, a professor in the State Agricultural College, at Manhattan. By this marriage he has four children - Frederick P., Nathaniel O, Lottie and William, all living. He is a member of the Presbyterian Episcopal Church; also a member of Apollo Commanding No. 16 K. T., of Larned.
C. BOWER, of the firm of C. Bower & Bro. His brother, Henry A., became a partner in 1878. They manufacture wagons, buggies and do general blacksmithing, employ three men. Mr. C. Bower opened business alone in the spring of 1876. He first came to Burlington, Kan., in the fall of 1865; farmed until 1873, when he went to Dodge City and followed blacksmithing two years. He then came to Fort Larned and engaged in the same business two and one half years; he then located permanently in Larned. Erected his shops spring 1877. Size of which are 35x90 feet, two stories high, at a cost of $1,500. They do an annual business of $4,000. He was born near Lexington, Gallatin Co., Ky., April 27, 1854. Parents moved with their family to Edwards County, Ill., 1860, where he lived until 1865. Married January 1, 1876, to Miss Elisa Pierce, a native of Waukesha County, Wis. They have three children: Maude, Flora, and Frederick. He is a member of Masonic order and has been a member of the Larned City Council three terms.
A. BRACKEN, dealer in all kinds of fresh and salt meats, also buys and ships live stock by the car load. He opened the first meat market in Larned in 1873. He was born in Woodford County, Ill., June 21, 1829, and lived in his native county until 1854, thence to Marshall County in the same State, and engaged in boating on the Illinois and Michigan Canal. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company B, Eighty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Participated in all the battles of his command; after eighteen months of service he was appointed regimental quartermaster. He participated in William T. Sherman's march to the sea and also the Atlanta campaign and was mustered out June 11, 1865. He was married in 1856, to Miss Esther York, of Marshall County, Ill., formerly of Bangor, Me. They have three children - Lillie E., married to Nelson Adams, a lawyer, of Larned; Willard S., a clerk in the United States Land Office at Larned and Charles at home. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. He has served as Deputy Sheriff of Pawnee County one term and one term as Sheriff. He has served as a member of the City Council of Larned one term.
J. B. BRATTEN, dealer in horses and cattle, came to Larned February 28, 1876, and engaged in hotel business and livery. Elected Sheriff of Pawnee County in the fall of 1878 and served one term. He was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., March 29, 1850, lived in native County until twenty-six years old. Married in 1875 to Miss Sadie Grier of same place. They have two children - Carrie A., born March 31, 1880; Elgie, born November 8, 1882. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, of Larned.
WILLIAM H. BRINKMAN, of Brinkman Bros., dealers in lumber and grain. He opened trade in Larned, Kan., in 1874, and carries a general stock of lumber and building material of all kinds, a stock of $5,000. He first came to Kansas in March, 1871, locating in Ellsworth, came to Larned in September, 1874. He was born in Carroll County, Ohio, June 28, 1837. Was raised in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Married in 1875 to Miss Mary M. Walters, of Delta, Fulton Co., Ohio. They have two children - Ada M. and Frank Waters (sic). He is a member of Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery A., F. & A. M. of Larned, Kan.
A. BROWN, dealer in coal, grain and flour, feed, seeds and vegetables. He opened trade March 3, 1878. He deals in general produce and employs three men constantly in the business and does a trade of $2,000 per annum. He first came to Kansas February 22, 1878, locating at Larned. He was born in Livingston County, Lester Township, N. Y. August 24, 1825. He lived in his native place until thirty years old, thence went to Will County, Ill., and engaged in agricultural pursuits about twenty years, thence to Larned, Kan. He was married in February, 1852, to Miss Martha M. Terney, of Fairfield, Conn. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, I. O. O. F. and Equitable Aid Union.
W. H. CAMP, proprietor of Cherry Dale cattle ranch, Pawnee County, Kan., was born in Campbell County, Ga., November 12, 1842. Was raised in his native county. During the civil war he was a member of the First Georgia Cavalry. He was married in 1863 to Miss Annie E. Galbreath, of Knox County, Tenn. At the close of the war he commenced business in the South, as a cotton planter; followed that until 1869, when he moved to Atlanta, Ga., and commenced the wholesale grocery business. In 1877 he moved to Larned, Kan., opening a farm and stock ranch. The Cherry Dale ranch comprises over 1,000 acres of fine grazing land, on which he holds a fine herd of cattle. He has 600 acres of land under cultivation, 500 planted in wheat this year. In connection with his agricultural and stock-raising, he does a loan and real estate business in the city of Larned. They have eight children - Kate E., William Mathew, Joseph A., Awilda W., Annie Gertrude, Maude T., Charles H. and Lee.
P. T. CURLETT, dealer in dry goods, clothing, hats and caps, etc. He opened the present trade in 1882. He first came to Kansas in 1865 and was appointed post trader in 1872. From 1866 to 1872 he clerked in the Quartermaster's Department in various places in Kansas. He then continued as post trader until 1879, at Fort Larned. He then continued agricultural pursuits until he came to Larned. He is yet quite extensively engaged in farming and stock- raising. Since coming to Kansas he has followed various occupations; at one time he edited a newspaper. He was born in Canada in 1847 and was raised in his native country. He came to the United States at the age of eighteen years. He camped at Fort Larned, July 4, 1866, then on his way to New Mexico. He has served as Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners for five years. He was postmaster at Fort Larned seven years, and held the same office at Fort Harker for some time. He took the United States Census for 1880 in Pawnee County. He is a member of the three branches of Masonry and the I. O. O. F. He was married in 1877 to Miss Hattie Johnson, of Corning, N. Y. They have two children - Donald B. and Richard V.
S. B. CURLETT, dealer in, and manufacturer of, harness, saddles, etc., opened trade in July 1882, and carries an average stock of $1,000. J. E. Curlett, manager of the above business, first came to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in 1866. He came to Pawnee County in 1873 and remained two years as a clerk at Fort Larned. He then traveled extensively in various localities and finally returned to Fort Larned. He worked eighteen months at Fort Dodge as post saddler. He was born on Prince Edwards Island, Canada, September 1, 1843, living there twenty years. He began the harness trade when only seventeen years old. Worked at the business four years at Titusville, Pa. He was married in 1873, to Miss S. B. Johnson, of Beaver, Beaver Co., Pa. They have one daughter - Edith A. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
M. L. DANIELS, physician and surgeon, came to Pawnee Rock, Kan., in September, 1876, and continued the practice of medicine until October, 1882, when he permanently located in Larned, where he has since continued the practice of his profession. He was born in Franklin county, Pa., June 8, 1847, lived in his native county until ten years of age, when he with his family moved to Christian County, Ill., where he was raised. He began the study of medicine when he was a boy, attended one term at McDowell's Medical College of St. Louis, Mo., and began his profession in Christian County, Ill., where he continued until he came to Kansas. He has been engaged steadily in his profession since 1870. He was married in 1869 to Miss L. C. Branstetter, of Pike County, Mo. He is a member of the Pawnee County Medical Society.
JAMES K. DOUGHTY, of the firm of Freeland & Doughty, attorneys-at-law. He came to Larned, Kan., in November 1878, and opened a law office. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 26, 1853, and was raised in his native place and in Chicago, Ill., living in the latter place until thirteen years old. He began the study of law in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1874, and graduated from the law department of Cincinnati College in May, 1878, and was admitted to the bar of practice in all the courts of Ohio at the same time. He began the practice of his profession in his native city and there continued until he came to Kansas. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in April, 1879 and elected to the same office in the spring of 1880; he was also appointed City Clerk of Larned in April, 1882. He was admitted to the bar of practice in the district courts of Pawnee County in 1879.
G. A. DUNN, dealer in a general line of household furniture, carpets and undertaking goods. He is also undertaker for Larned City. He also keeps a large stock of musical instruments, sewing machines, etc. He opened trade December 8, 1881, and now carries a general stock of $8,000. He has the most extensive store of the kind in Pawnee County. The size of his rooms is 130x25 feet. He employs two men in the business. He first came to Kansas in the fall of 1877, locating on a farm near Larned. He followed agricultural pursuits and stock-raising until he opened the above trade. He was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, December 19, 1849, and was raised and educated in that county. Went to Clinton, Henry Co., Mo., in 1869, and farmed for eight years, when he came to Kansas. Mr. Dunn was married in 1868 to Miss Emma A. Smith, of Van Buren County, Iowa. They have three sons - Clinton M., Edwin, and Bert. Mr. Dunn is a member of the I. O. O. F. He has served as Township Trustee, and as Census Enumerator in the United States Census of 1880.
N. B. FREELAND, attorney, of the firm of Freeland & Doughty, attorneys and counselors-at-law. They do a regular law business, and represent the North British Mercantile Insurance Company. They also transact business before the United States Land Office. Mr. Freeland came to Beloit, Kan., in 1872, where he taught school for some time. He was admitted to the bar of practice in the district courts of Mitchell County, Kan., in the winter of 1872-73. He came to Larned in 1874 and opened a law office. He was born in Blandinville, Ill., December 22, 1844, and raised in McDonough County, Ill. Enlisted August 3, 1861, in Companies D and E, Twenty-eight Illinois Volunteer Infantry, participating in all battles of his command. Was mustered out April 6, 1866. He then attended a private school at Monroe, Mo., for some time and began the study of law in 1872. He was married in 1877 to Miss Alice Town, of Ellington, N. Y. They have three children - Edwin S., Edith L., and Arthur L. He is a member of B. F. Larned Post, No. 8, G. A. R. He was County Attorney of Pawnee County, Kan., for the term of 1878-79.
DANIEL FUNK, Clerk of District Court, came to Larned in April 1876 and engaged in the lumber and coal business until August 15, 1876. In November of the same year he was elected Clerk of the District Court and re-elected the succeeding term. Re-elected in November 1882. He has served one year as City Clerk of Larned. He was born in Hocking County, Ohio, near Logan, the county-seat, February 16, 1840; lived in his native place until 1864 and emigrated to Macon, Illinois, where he followed teaching until 1870; he then engaged in buying and shipping grain, produce, etc., until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and a Democrat in politics.
W. H. GILL, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Larned. He owns the northwest quarter of Section 8, northeast quarter of Section 7, and Section 5, comprising 960 acres of fine land, 540 of which are cultivated. He came to this place in March, 1874. He raised and threshed the first bushel of wheat in Pawnee County. In 1882 he raised 2,000 bushels of wheat. In 1878 he raised 4,300 bushels. He was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, June 19, 1826. He lived in his native county until sixteen years of age, moved to Lee County, Iowa, in 1843, where he followed farming and stock-raising. He enlisted August 14, 1862, in Company E, Nineteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was made First Lieutenant and participated in the siege of Vicksburg and several battles, having command of his company a share of the time. He was mustered out July 8, 1863. He lived in Iowa until he emigrated to Kansas. He was married in October, 1850, to Miss E. B. Arnold of Dearborn County, Indiana. They have three children - William A., Pearl I. and Minnie E. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is Vice-President of the Kansas State Fair Association and is one of the original directors of the same. He is superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sabbath-school at Larned.
E. A. HANON, of the firm of Hanon & Wolfe, dealers in dry goods, boots and shoes, groceries, etc. Mr. Hanon opened business September 22, 1881. Their store is 143 feet long, by 25 feet wide. They now carry a stock of $7,000. Mr. Hanon came to Larned in the spring of 1874, and followed farming until the fall of 1877, when he was elected County Clerk and served two years, after which he served as deputy of the same office until he embarked in the mercantile business. He was born in Christian County, Illinois, August 18, 1846, living in his native county until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1873 to Miss Mary J. Gore of the same place. They have four children - Owen M., Walter S., William V. and Aeola Blanche. He is a member of the Blue Lodge A., F. & A. M.
F. C. HAWKINS, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stable and city auctioneer. He keeps a number one livery. He first came to Park City, Kansas, in 1870, became President of the Town Site Company and engaged in locating immigrants, etc. He came to Larned April 1, 1872, labored on the A., T. & S. F. R. R. and various kinds of labor, some time. He was the first Sheriff of Pawnee County, being elected in the fall of 1872, and, by re-election, held the office four years; also has served as Deputy United States Marshal for the district of Kansas. He arrested the notorious desperado John Murray and other noted criminals during his term of office as Sheriff. He has, like many Western men, followed various occupations, such as the grocery business, dealing in Texas horses etc. and opened the livery business in December, 1882. He was born in Preble County, Ohio, March 24, 1840. His parents moved to Howard County, Indiana, in 1850, where he was raised and lived until he came to Kansas. He is a member of the three orders of Masonry of Larned, Kansas.
GEORGE E. HUBBARD, farmer and stock-raiser. P. O., Larned, Pleasant Valley Township, Section 18, Township 22, Range 15 west. He has 640 acres of land, 400 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 4,000 bushels of wheat, and average of 25 1/2 bushels per acre. His oats averaged 40 bushels per acre and his corn 20 bushels, sorghum 40 bushels of seed per acre. He is also engaged in stock-raising quite largely. He came to this place March 1, 1876, and built the first dwelling on the south side of the Arkansas River, in Pawnee County. He was a member of the Pawnee County Board of 1878, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. and B. F. Larned Post No. 8, G. A. R. He was born in Schoharie County, New York, July 15, 1834, lived in his native county until twenty years of age, and then moved to La Salle County, Ill., where he followed farming and his trade of masonry for twenty-one years. He enlisted, February 11, 1865, in Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was made Second Lieutenant of his company and was mustered out September 14, 1865. He was married October 22, 1856, to Miss Hettie A. Neal, of Westmoreland County, Pa. They had three children - Franklin C., Eugene F. and Emma A. His wife died March 27, 1871. He was again married April 14, 1872, to Caroline M. Davis, of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. They have one daughter, Edna B.
P. C. HUGHES, attorney-at-law, land, loan and collection agent. He came to Larned in April, 1876 and opened a law office. He first came to Eureka, Greenwood County, Kansas, in September, 1869, and opened a law office and continued there until he located in Larned. He has served as Justice of the Peace nine months, has been United States Commissioners (sic) by appointment since 1876, and city attorney at the same time. He was born in Adams County, Illinois, June 15, 1842, and was raised in that county; enlisted April 17, 1861, in Company E, Tenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry; three months service. Re-enlisted, in May, 1864, Company H, Forty- fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; mustered out in September, 1864. He was educated at Quincy, Illinois College and Wesleyan University, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa; began studying law in 1864, in college course; after army life he entered the law office of E. H. Stiles as a student; admitted to the bar at Ottumwa, Iowa, in December, 1865; began the practice of law in the spring of 1866, at Sedalia, Mo., where he continued until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1867, to Miss C. Josephine Middleton, of Ross County, Ohio. They have four children - Otis A., Wirt M., Myrtle H. and Edwin R. He is a member of the Masonic order, Methodist Episcopal Church and B. F. Larned Post, No. 8.
E. M. JACKSON, superintendent of the Pawnee Valley. Stock Breeders' Association, was born in London, Canada, September 24, 1842, and was raised on a farm in his native country until 1862, and obtained a practical business education. At the latter date he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and engaged as an assistant bookkeeper for six months, then he went to Chicago, Illinois, and there became a clerk in the mercantile houses of De Forest & Co., and afterward in the large establishment of J. V. Farwell, beginning as a notion boy in the fancy goods, and by gradual promotion, became general salesman and remained until 1878, when his health failed and he went to Colfax County, northeast New Mexico, where he engaged in the sheep ranching business and continued until August, 1861, at which time he came to Kansas and with the assistance of his Mexican herders the above gentleman brought 9,500 sheep to Larned and sold them. He was married in May, 1871, to Miss Mary M. Blood, who was born in Sauk County, Wisconsin, August 1, 1844. They have two sons-Willard F. and Frederick C. The Pawnee Valley Stock Breeders Association was incorporated by act of the legislature April 10, 1882; They now control 2,800 acres of as fine grazing lands as can be found in the State of Kansas; 2,200 acres are fenced. It has the Pawnee Creek running through the entire length east and west for a distance of four miles. This ranch is beautifully located in the midst of as fine a grazing country as can be found in the West. It is two miles west of Fort Larned and nine miles west of the city of the same name, located in east and west Pawnee Township, Township 19, Range 21 west. The grass in principally buffalo, and occasionally patches of gramma grass. They have about 200 head of all fine bred Clydesdale horses and Kentucky bred mares. They have also the pure bred Spanish and Kentucky mammoth jacks; also one hundred head of Kentucky short-horn Durham heifers. This company was incorporated with a capital stock of $100,000; now all paid up excepting $6,000. F. E. Sage is president; W. H. Brinkman Vice-President; W. C. Edwards, Secretary; E. M. Jackson, Superintendent and J. W. Rush, Treasurer.
THOMAS M. JOHNSON, of the firm of Smith & Johnson, pension, real estate, loan and insurance agents. He came to Larned, Kansas in November, 1881, and engaged as a common laborer until he became a member of the above firm. He was born in northwest Arkansas, November 5, 1858, and was raised in that country; was in Springfield, Mo., until he came to Kansas. He was raised on a farm, and graduated from the Arkansas Industrial University at Fayetteville in June, 1880; he then engaged in teaching school at Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Served as postmaster at the latter place for a number of months. He was married in 1878 to Miss Anna Degge, of Sarcoxie, Missouri. They have one son - Millard Frederick. Mr. Johnson is President of the Equitable Aid Union fraternity. He began the study of law in 1880.
M. A. W. JORDAAN, dealer in general merchandise; he began trade in the spring of 1879. His rooms are 25x60 feet. He employs three persons in the business and carries a stock of $10,000. He first came to Larned at the time of opening trade. He was born in Holland, April 27, 1848, and came to America in 1866, locating in St. Louis, Missouri, and became a salesman in the boot and shoe trade. He went into business at High Point, Monitau County, Mo., in 1872, in general merchandising, and continued it until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1878 to Miss Julia Cramer, of Hermon, Mo. They have three children - Walter V., John D. and Thera M.