|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Garfield. - In Pawnee County the grasshoppers appeared about the 25th of July, and made a total destruction of crops. Consequent upon the destitution that followed, a writer said: "We think that if energy is displayed but few in our county will require outside aid. We have no utter deprivation yet." I. H. Leavitt, from the Ohio Township, or Garfield district, wrote that seven families of thirty persons would require assistance. Harrison Nelson was President of the Garfield Town Company, and the town was located December 8, 1873, on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 1, Township 23, Range 18. There was a serpentine addition to the town made March 4, 1879; H. P. Wolcott was President of the Town Company. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company located an experimental garden of forestry here. It embraces the southeast corner and extends across Big Coon Creek, to the southwest corner. Trees have been grown of many varieties with very considerable success. A beautifully arranged cemetery was laid out here, and its plat recorded February 23, 1882. The plat of Point View cemetery was recorded August 3, 1880.
Fort Larned. About six miles west of Larned, in the center of the Military Reservation of 11,000 acres of land, is Fort Larned, which is neat in all of its apartments. The buildings are of stone. Troops occupy this beautiful fort.
Brown's Grove is a thriving inland village in the township of the same name, about two miles and a half from the west line of the county. It is beautifully situated on the banks of the Pawnee River. This village was platted in 1876, on Section 28, Township 21, Range 20. It is surrounded by a very fine farming country; some of the finest yields of wheat ever known in Kansas have been harvested in this part of the Pawnee valley.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - MISCELLANEOUS.
T. H. BARRETT, stock raiser, Section 24, Township 21, Range 20, P. O. Browns Grove. He has 480 acres of land and now has eighty head of cattle. The firm name is Barrett & Roche. Five years ago, or in 1879, they began with one cow and a yoke of oxen. They began farming and bought what cattle their scanty means would allow. They farmed two years and never realized as much grain as they sowed in the ground. Mr. Barrett was born in Honesdale, Wayne Co., Pa., March 25, 1850, and was raised in his native county. Lived some time in the State of New York. He was married in 1878, to Miss Mary E. Roche, a native of Canada. They raise their stock at an annual cost of $1.50 per head.
MAJ. L. H. BOWLUS, stock-dealer, Garfield, handles all kinds of live-stock (sic). He first came to Sun City, Barber County, and engaged in merchandising in 1871; followed the business until 1875; was absent from the State a year. In June, 1875, he came to Garfield and engaged in the above business. He was born in Fremont, Sandusky Co., Ohio, April 25, 1839. He lived in his native county until he came to Kansas. Enlisted in April, 1862, in Company E, Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; transferred to the Ninth Ohio Cavalry in 1863; participated in all the battles of his command; promoted to Captain of Company E, and afterward of Company K. Ninth Ohio Cavalry, and finally to Major of his regiment; mustered out in August, 1865. He then went to Knoxville, Tenn., and engaged in the mercantile business until 1867. Thence to Cincinnati, Ohio, in the same business until he came to Kansas. Married in 1876, to Sarah A. Cross of Wood County, Ohio They have five children - Harry T., Ida M., Maud B., Don L. and Roscoe V. V. He served as County Commissioner of Barber County two terms.
R. A. BRADLEY, dealer in a general stock of drugs, medicines, dry goods and groceries, Garfield. He opened trade in December, 1877, and first carried a stock of $3,500; has since reduced stock to $3,000; erected his store in 1877, size of which is 20x50 feet, two stories high, at a cost of $1,800. He was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, October 9, 1845, and was raised in his native county. Enlisted in April, 1861, in Company K, Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Re-enlisted October 8, same year, in Company K, Forty- first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a veteran, and was promoted to First Sergeant, participating in all the battles of his command; mustered out March, 1865. He then traveled for his health some time. Then engaged in merchandising three years at Windsor, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, after which he came to Kansas. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F. Was married in 1880 to Mrs. Hattie A. Coy (Coates). They have two children - Bertha and Irwin R.
C. R. CASE, dealer in general merchandise, Brown's Grove, opened trade in November, 1881; carries an average stock of about $2,000. He first located on a farm five miles west of Brown's Grove in 1877, and followed agricultural pursuits until he opened trade. He was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., February 6, 1844, and was raised in his native county. Went to New York City in 1869, and engaged in trucking until he came to Kansas. He was married in May, 1865, to Miss Ann Russell of the same county, N. Y. They have four children - Lillie, Ella, Charlie and Florence. He is a member of Brown's Grove School Board.
A. B. DEATON, stock-raiser, Section 24, Township 21, Range 20, P. O. Brown's Grove. He has 320 acres of land, 40 of which are cultivated. He came to his place in July, 1875. He owns seventy-five head of cattle. They cost annually for keeping about $3 per head. In this place he can raise steers up to four years for about $12. He was born in Woodford County, Ill., November 22, 1839, and was raised in Morgan County. He moved to Nebraska, locating in Richardson County, in 1864, and farmed there until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1864, to Miss Filena McCarty of Gallia County, Ohio. She was born February 14, 1844. They have four children - Manual L., Nellie, Ernest and Frederick.
THEODORE DIRLAM, firm of Erickson, Polson & Dirlam, dealers in general merchandise, Garfield, opened trade in December, 1879. Mr. Dirlam became part of the above firm in November, 1882. Their store was erected in the fall of 1882, size 20x40 feet. They carry a stock of $6,000. Mr. Dirlam came to Kansas in March, 1873; moved with his family in June, 1874. He followed farming, stock-raising and dairying until he became interested in the above business. Was born in Sandusky County, Ohio, January 22, 1842, and raised on a farm in Loraine County, Ohio. In 1864 he enlisted in the one-hundred-day service, Company B, One Hundred and Sixty ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in the fall of the same year. He returned home and followed farming and dairying some time; finally embarked in the grocery trade which he followed some time. Married in 1865 to Miss Philena Harrington of Sullivan, Ashland Co., Ohio. They have two children - Minnie A. and Lena A.
FRED DITUS, stock-raiser, keeps a livery and feed stable at Brown's Grove; came to Edwards County, Kan., in March, 1877, and followed farming for three years. He then moved to Brown's Grove, and engaged in the above business. He now has about eighty head of cattle. He paid out $1.50 per annum per head for keeping his cattle in 1882. He was born in Baden, German. January 1, 1844. He came to America in 1851 with his parents and settled in Will County, Ill., and was raised on a farm. He enlisted in 1862, in Company F, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command, and was mustered out in the fall of 1865. He was married January 1, 1868, to Miss Lucilla Ludington, a native of Ohio. they have seven children - Alma F., Jessie R., Kate, Lucy, Nellie, Carl and Effie R. He is a member of the Masonic order, and is now Deputy Sheriff of Pawnee County.
E. A. JOHNSON, firm of Johnson & Wright, proprietors Pawnee Valley Water Mills, Browns Grove. These mills were erected in 1879 by Mayer & Johnson; changed to present firm name in May, 1882. These mills are built of cut- stone at a cost of $10,000, 26x38 feet, 35 feet high and three stories. Has a head of 20 feet; capacity is seventy-five barrels in a day. Mr. E. A. Johnson came to Emporia Kansas, in 1876, and engaged in milling. He was born in Denmark, July 17, 1850; came to America in 1860 with his parents and located in Fond du Lac, Wis., in 1865, where he was raised. He began milling at the age of twenty-one years, going to Iowa at that time. Married in 1880, to Miss Lizzie H. Hall, of Emporia, Kan. They have one daughter - Gertrude M. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife is a member of the Congregational Church.
JOHN HALL, farmer and stock-raiser, Riverside Township, P. O. Pawnee Rock, Barton County, Section 10, Township 21, Range 15. He came to this place February 25, 1876. He owns 360 acres of land, 200 acres of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised twenty-one and one-half tons of broom corn. In 1881 he realized $2,000 for his broom corn. He keeps a dairy of forty cows. His farm has a river front of a mile. He was born in Oneida County, N. Y., December 19, 1832, and lived there until he was nine years old. Then his parents with their family moved to Northeastern, Ohio, where he lived until 1859, when he moved to Shelby County, Ill., and engaged in farming until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1855, to Miss Polly Pelton, of Geauga County, Ohio. They have ten children - Lydia (married to Mr. W. Chase, now of Pawnee Rock), Sarah, Howard, Harry, Della, John, James, Jane, Maggie and Effie.
D. Y. SABIN, stock-raiser and farmer, came to Brown's Grove in September 1877, engaged in agricultural pursuits and sheep raising, and changed to the cattle business in the spring of 1882. He has 300 acres of land fenced and keeps 100 head of cattle, etc. He was born in Franklin County, Vt., January 14, 1832, living in his native county until he was sixteen years old, when he went with his parents to Norfolk, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. He soon afterward went to Ripon, Wis., where he lived from 1851 to 1877, being principally engaged in mercantile business. Was married May 23, 1880, to Miss Lillie Brown, of Carrolton, Greene Co., Ill. They have one daughter, Lutie M. He is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and the K. of P.
N. O. WAYMIRE, dealer in shelf and heavy hardware, paints, oils and tinware, Garfield. He established the business in Garfield, on the Arkansas River, in 1878, opening with a stock of $1,000, and erected the store in the same year, the size of which is 20x44 feet and two stories high, built at a cost of $2,000. He now carries a stock of $1,500. In 1878 Mr. B. R. Gee was taken into partnership, and the firm was known as Waymire & Gee, and did business under that name until April, 1880, when Mr. Waymire purchased Mr. Gee's interest, and has conducted the business since. He was born in Saybrook, Ashtabula Co., Ohio., September 20, 1849, and lived in his native State until he came to Kansas, being raised on a farm. He was married, December 24, 1877, to Miss Mary Stephens, of Geneva, Ohio, who was born in Cornwall, England, and came to America at the age of five years. They have no children.
A. W. WELWOOD, stock dealer and raiser, came to Brown's Grove in the fall of 1880 and engaged in the stock business. He has a stock ranch near the above place and now has 260 head of cattle. He was born on Long Island, N. Y., December 1, 1855, and lived in Brooklyn, N. Y., until he came to Kansas. His stock cost $2.50 per head to tend and feed them in 1882.