|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (DOTY - HARDY).
GEORGE W. DOTY, postmaster, was born October 27, 1843, in the town of South Bristol, Ontario Co., N. Y. When about ten years old he removed to Niagara County, N. Y., where he resided three years, and returned to Ontario County. At the age of fifteen he attended Chamberlain's University, Randolph, Cattarangus Co., N. Y. After leaving this school he was employed as clerk in a grocery store in Canandaigua, N. Y., and September 10, 1862, when eighteen years of age he enlisted in Company H, Fourth New York Heavy Artillery, which was assigned to duty in the defense of Washington, and in the spring of 1864 was transferred to infantry, and joined the army of the Potomac, Fourth Brigade, Second Army Corps. The command participated in all of the engagements of Grant's campaign with the Potomac Army until Lee's surrender. He was wounded at the engagement in front of Petersburgh on the 18th of June, 1864, and was sent back to Carver Hospital, Washington, D. C., and when convalescent was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, and assigned to duty in charge of a division at the hospital. He was discharged July 15, 1865, and returned to Ontario County, remained there a short time and then moved to Calhoun County, Mich. Here he learned the stonemasons' and plasterers' trade. In the winter of 1868 he returned to New York and spent the winter, came to Kansas in April, 1869, and engaged in work at his trade. He was employed the following year in the land office of his uncle, Hon. O. H. Sheldon. He was married in the fall of 1871, at Burlingame, to Miss Ella C. Beverly, of Lake County, Ill., and they have three children - Lloyd E., Preston B. and Ogilvie H. In 1873 he commenced work in the postoffice, and 1877 was appointed postmaster, and has since held that position. In 1878, in connection with William Thomson, Esq., bought out the land and insurance agency of Billings, Marshall & Sheldon, subsequently buying Mr. Thomson out. He remained in that business until 1881, when he sold it to C. M. Sheldon, and bought an interest in the Osage County Chronicle, of which paper he had editorial charge for some time, retiring in November, 1882. He has been a member of the City Council two terms; the last term, was elected President of the Council. He joined the Methodist Church in 1870, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Encampment, and G. A. R. Mr. Doty has been an active worker in politics in all elections, from local to national. He usually exercises much influence in shaping the course and policy of the Republican party in his county and section.
M. R. DOTY, of the firm of A. Doty & Son. General stock of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, carpets and fine dress goods. Carry a stock of about $20,000. Average annual sales will reach $40,000. Mr. Doty was born in Tioga County, Pa., November 13, 1850. He removed to Bradford County when quite young and has resided there almost constantly since until coming to Kansas. He attended graded school at home and Ferrey's Institute at Williamsport, Pa. Entered into a co-partnership with his father in 1867, and continued for several years, until they lost the stock by fire, when he commenced traveling for A. R. McConn & Co., of Philadelphia. He remained with the firm about three years, and bought an interest in the Lackawana House, Scranton, Pa. He continued but a short time and went to New York, and form thence to Kansas in 1878, his father having opened a store here in 1875. He was married January 2, 1879, at Burlingame, Kan., to Mrs. C. E. Gilbert, of Hornellsville, N. Y., at the time principal of Burlingame schools. He is a member of the A., F., & A. M., Canton (Pa.) Lodge, No. 415, and was also connected with I. O. O. F. and K. of H.
WILLIAM P. DEMING, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Vermont, May 10, 1832, and is the son of David E. Deming and Eclecta L. Eldridge. When he was a child his father moved to Kalamazoo County, Mich., where he grew to manhood. He came to this State in 1860 and settled in Burlingame. He owns a farm adjoining the city containing 160 acres, with good improvements and a coal shaft. Mr. Deming is one of the prosperous farmers in Osage County. When the war raged fiercely he offered his services to the Government. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Company I, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers and was transferred in 1863 to Sixty-fifth Regiment United States Colored Troops and appointed Captain. He was mustered out of the service in 1867. He was united in marriage in Burlingame, Kan., June 10, 1868, to Mrs. Elizabeth M. Densmore, daughter of John Drew, Esq. Mr. Deming was educated in Kalamazoo Academy and Commercial College, in Chicago, Ill.
CHARLES P. DREW, salesman and bookkeeper for Finch, Lord, & Nelson came to Kansas in November, 1855, with his parents. He was born in Kingston, Canada, and when an infant, his parents moved to New York city, where he remained until coming to Kansas. He engaged in farming until September, 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, Eleventh Kansas. Was in all the engagements of his command, spending the last year of his service in Indian warfare. He was promoted to Corporal in February, 1864, and mustered out September 15, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas; returned to Burlingame and attended school for a year and then went into the mercantile business as a clerk. In 1870, he engaged in business at Osage City, and remained about eighteen months, when he returned to Burlingame and clerked for Levi Empie about a year; he then went to Dodge City, and run a store for Charles Roth & Co., for about a year and returned home and clerked for J. P. Williams about four years; then clerked for his brother a year and bought him out and formed a co-partnership with H. A. Billings, which continued until May, 30, 1882, (sic) when they sold to Finch, Lord & Nelson. He has been a member of the city council two terms. In June, 1882, he was elected Captain of the Burlingame Guards, having been First Lieutenant since May 22, 1880. He was married, September 18, 1868, at Burlingame, to Miss Lucy A. Cable, of Harrisburg, Pa., and has three children - Nelly F., Charles E., and Lizzie K. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Encampment, and G. A. R. Post.
WILLIAM Y. DREW, of William Y. Drew & Co., lumber dealers Topeka Avenue, near Santa Fe Avenue, average stock, $5,000, came to Kansas in 1855. He was born in New York City, March 7, 1834. Resided there until twenty-one years of age, learning the carpenters' and joiners' trade. After coming to Kansas he engaged in farming some two years. Was active in assisting the Free-State party during the border-ruffian period. Enlisted at the breaking out of the war, in Company D, Second Kansas. Was with his command at the battle of Wilson's Creek and other engagements. At the expiration of his term of service - about six months - re-enlisted, September 1, 1862, in Company I, Eleventh Kansas Infantry, as Second Lieutenant. The regiment was afterwards changed to Cavalry. Was in all the battles of the Price campaign, and in the latter part of his enlistment was with his regiment in the Territories, fighting Indians; was mustered out in September, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth. On his return to Burlingame he worked at his trade; was elected County Clerk in the fall of 1869, and held the office three terms. He afterward engaged in mercantile pursuits, and in November, 1882, bought out the Chicago Lumber Company. He was married September 24, 1863, at Burlingame, Kansas, to Miss Martha Helen Pomeroy, a native of Vermont. They have four children living - Bertha N., Gilbert P., Mable S., and Jervis W. Was candidate for Secretary of State before the Republican State Convention in 1874. Is a member of the orders of A., F. & A. M., R. A. M., I. O. O. F. and G. A. R., of Burlingame. He is a strong Prohibitionist, and active in the enforcement of law.
HARRISON DUBOIS, farmer, residence one-half mile east of Burlingame, has 104 acres under cultivation. Has a two-story frame house, well finished, built in 1867, at a cost of $1,100; frame barn built in 1879 at the cost of $272; bearing orchard of 100 trees of all varieties. His farm is well stocked. He came to Kansas in June, 1857, from Union County, Indiana, where he was born, July 18, 1832. Engaged in farming with his father, Benjamin Dubois, who settled in Union County in 1840. Enlisted in the army in 1862, in Company I, Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. Participated in a battle at Cane Hill, Ark., November 28, 1862; and Prairie Grove, Ark., December 7, 1862. Served one year and a half in that regiment and was promotedto (sic) the rank of Captain by President Lincoln in Company H, Sixty-second United States Colored Infantry. Helped build the fortifications at Morganza, La. His command was stationed on the island of Brazo-Santiago, on the Texas coast, from October, 1864, until May, 1865. At Palmetto ranch, on the Rio Grande, fought one of the last battles of the war, and then advanced and occupied Brownsville, Texas, until October, 1865. Went up the Rio Grande to old Fort McIntosh, and remained until March, 1866, and was mustered out. He was promoted to rank of Major, September, 1865, by the President of the United States. Mr. Dubois has been twice married; first in September, 1862, to Miss Victoria Tisdale, of Schoolcraft, Mich., at Burlingame. Mrs. Dubois died September 4, 1868. He was married again April 20, 1871, in Johnson County, Kan., to Miss Mary A. Brown, of Lee County, Iowa. Mrs. Dubois died February 4, 1876. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.; is President of the Burlingame Horticultural Society, and Secretary of the Burlingame Union Agricultural Society. Has been Township Trustee for about eight years, and was elected Justice of the Peace in February, 1882. Maj. Dubois has always been an uncompromising Republican.
LEVI EMPIE, dealer in general merchandise, carries a stock of $7,000, and has a satisfactory trade. Mr. Empie owns a farm of 400 acres adjoining the city on the northwest, the improvements of which consist of 130 acres under plow; two comfortable farmhouses; about two and one-half miles of hedge, and four miles of rock fence; and also about sixty acres of native timber. His residence at the corner of Santa Fe Avenue and Dakota Street, is one of the finest in the city. The main part is 36x30 feet, with a wing 16x24 feet, two stories, and contains fifteen rooms. Was built in 1872 at a cost of over $6,000. Mr. Empie also owns two business houses, stone structures, two stories, with a frontage on Santa Fe Avenue, of forty feet, and depth of fifty-five feet. Mr. Empie came to Kansas in July, 1857, from Fox Lake, Dodge Co., Wis., and selecting Burlingame (or Council City, as it was then called) as his place of residence, located the following year, building the first stone store-building in the town. Was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., November 20, 1815, where he remained until thirty-one years of age, engaged in attending common school, teaching and clerking. In 1841 he was married to Miss Eliza M. Hagerdrom, a native of Schoharie County. In 1846, removed to Dodge County, Wisconsin, a poor man; but by close economy, in the various, pursuits of clerking and farming, finally entered on his own account, his favorite profession, merchandising, which he continued with success for about seven years, when he came to Kansas, attracted thither by the vast opportunities afforded for business and to assist in the gallant struggles of the pioneers to make this a Free-Soil State. Mr. Empie immediately opened a store in his new building, and has since continued in business. Has had eight children, of whom only two are now living - George E., a partner with his father in business, and Alice Failing, named for Mr. Empie's mother. Was appointed postmaster in 1861, and held the office seven years. Has been a member of the City Council several terms. Was one of the charter members, and is prominently connected with Burlingame Lodge, No. 14, I. O. O. F.
THOMAS FENLON, dealer in hardware, stoves and tinware, carries a stock of about $3,500; average annual sales, about $15,000. He came to Kansas in 1870, from Springfield, Ill. He was born in County Carlow, Ireland, June 20, 1835. When quite young he removed to America, settling in Allegheny County, Pa., where he resided until about twenty years of age, meanwhile learning the tinners' trade; worked at his trade at different points, settling at Springfield, Ill, in 1857, where he continued to work at his trade until coming to Kansas. He was married in Springfield, Ill., September 30, 1860, to Miss A. Henry, a native of Illinois. They have two children - Harry M., now reading law at Osage City, and Alice F. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and K. of H.
H. W. FILLEY & SON, dealers in hardware, stoves, tinware, shelf goods, sporting goods and ammunition, carry a stock of $6,000 and their annual trade will reach $25,000; keep five men employed; have a tin shop on second floor; store building 25x100 feet, two stories, of stone, cellar under all, completed in September, 1881, at a cost of $5,000. H. W. Filley came to Kansas in the spring of 1862, first locating at Lawrence, where he carried on the hardware business for five years, moving to Burlingame in 1867. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1838. When a mere child his parents moved to Connecticut, near Hartford, where he resided about seventeen years and then moved to Lansingburg, N. Y., where he learned the tinners' trade, at which he worked five years; when he went to Ticonderoga and remained two years, and returned to Lansingburg. The following spring, 1851, went to St. Louis, where he remained more than a year. In 1852 he removed to Arrow Rock, Mo., where he resided twelve years, engaged at his trade. He was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Saline County, Mo., and held the office a year and a half. He was married in Lansingburg, N. Y., to Miss S. A. Stockin, a native of that place, and they have three children living - George, now postmaster and editor of Kingman (Kansas) Citizen; Clarence E., in business with his father, and Eunice F. Is one of the Trustees and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; is Treasurer of the K. of H. Lodge No. 1,036; is Treasurer of the Burlingame School Board; a stockholder of the Agricultural Society, and one of the stockholders of the Burlingame Savings Bank.
HON. LUCIUS E. FINCH, a prominent and influential business man of the city of Burlingame, in the County of Osage, was born in Wellington, Ohio, November 7, 1843. His parents, Austin and Lucy (Gillett) Finch were natives of Connecticut, from whence they removed in 1830 to Northern Ohio, and settled some thirty-five miles southwest of Cleveland, in Lorain County. They were among the first settlers in that country, and, amidst its dense forests they went to work and opened up one of the finest farms in that State. Their family consisted of five boys and one girl - Henry C., Francis A., Dorwin J., Lucius E., John A., and Delia. Four of these brothers served in the Union army during the war of the Rebellion, and two of them, Dorwin and Francis, were killed in battle just at the close of the war, after having served four years. In 1875 Mr. Finch, with a portion of his family, removed to Burlingame, where they lived several years. In 1880, while on a visit to their friend in Ohio, Mrs. Finch died. Two years afterward Mr. Austin Finch again married - this time to Mrs. Rhoda Wilcox, and is now living peaceably and comfortably on the old Wellington homestead. Hon. L. E. Finch, the subject of this sketch, attended the common schools of his native county; took a seminary course in a select school taught by Miss Eliza Hamilton, at Wellington, and entered Oberlin College in his sixteenth year. In 1862, attacked by the war fever that was epidemic throughout the loyal North at that time, he threw aside his studies, enlisted as a private in Company C, Eighty-sixth Ohio Infantry, and donned the accoutrements of a soldier. Shortly after his enlistment he was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry and paroled. After his exchange he was transferred to the Eighty-seventh Ohio Infantry, and served with that regiment as Color-Sergeant in the Army of the Tennessee two years, when he was mustered out of the service at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1864. After this he engaged in business as a clerk in a Cleveland dry goods store until 1868, when he came to Kansas, locating in the place where he now lives. He was married to Miss Elsie M. Weber, of Bangor, Maine, on the 29th day of February, 1872. At this writing their family consists of four children - Lula B., Cacarora L., Albert H., and Charles S. In 1877 Mr. Finch was elected to the State Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the sudden and unexpected death of Hon. O. H. Sheldon. He was re-elected in 1880 for a four years' term. At this time his Senatorial district is the Twenty-first - consisting of Osage and Wabaunsee counties. Senator Finch has steadily grown in public estimation, and besides being one of the most influential men in his own county, he is now recognized as one of the leading men of the State. He has for many years been closely connected with the material, social and political interest of Burlingame, and its permanent prosperity has been one of the chief aims of his business life. At this time he is President of the Burlingame Savings Bank, and also the head of a firm of Finch, Lord & Nelson, whose mercantile, live-stock and coal operations annually aggregate nearly half a million dollars. This is one of the strongest and most enterprising business firms of Osage County. Besides several large and valuable grain and stock farms which it owns in Osage and Wabaunsee counties, it has recently purchased a cattle ranch of 20,000 acres in the Texas Pan Handle, upon which Mr. Orville Nelson, the junior member of the firm, spends the greater portion of his time. Senator Finch is a member of the Burlingame Lodge, No. 14, I. O. O. F., an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Sheldon Post, No. 35. He organized a company of the Kansas State Militia, was elected its Captain, and in August, 1882, he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of his regiment. He has always been a zealous Republican and prominent in State and county politics.
HENRY C. FINCH, the subject of this sketch, was born in Wellington, Lorain County, Ohio, July 7, 1836, and received his education at Oberlin College, Ohio, after which he engaged in teaching, farming, stock dealing, etc., until the spring of 1867, at which time he took up his residence at Burlingame, Osage County, Kan., where he engaged in the mercantile business in partnership with M. W. Richardson, which business was continued until 1870, when Mr. Richardson withdrew from the business, and the firm then became the firm of Finch Brothers, who successfully continued the business until November 10, 1880, when the firm of Finch Brothers formed a co-partnership with the well known stock firm of Lord & Nelson, thereby constituting the now extensive firm of Finch, Lord & Nelson, of which Mr. Finch remained a partner until August, 1881, at which time he retired form the mercantile business and engaged in real estate, loan and commission business, also becoming extensively engaged in farming. Mr. Finch now owns about 1,000 acres of valuable land near the city, of which 565 acres are under fence, and 260 acres under cultivation; has two comfortable farm houses upon his land, he himself residing in the city. In 1882 he had about 10,000 bushels of corn, 200 tons of millet and 150 bushels of apples from his farms; he has about 100 acres of native timber and plenty of water; is also at present extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses and hogs; has quite a number of thoroughbred cattle; has always been an active member of the B. U. Agricultural Society, of which he is at present Treasurer. Mr. Finch was married November 22, 1871, at Rochester, N. Y., to Miss M. Julie Bowen; was elected President of the Burlingame Savings Bank in 1878, which position he continued to fill with credit until his resignation in 1882; he was in Kansas as early as 1858, and pre-empted land at that time within five miles of Burlingame, and has been very largely identified with the growth and prosperity of the city in which he resides.
SAMUEL FOGWELL, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Grand Haven, was born in Allen County, Ind., May 24, 1843; he is the son of Samuel Fogwell and Matilda Davis. He served his time in the army, enlisting February 29, 1865, in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-second Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and was discharged in September, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1866, and settled in Topeka, but now owns a half section in Burlingame Township, where he resides. He erected substantial buildings in 1870, and has a fine orchard and good stock. Mr. Fogwell was married in Cottonwood Falls, Kan., March 17, 1871, to Miss Viola, daughter of Clark Drinkwater and Prudence P. Pease. They have four children-Elmah, William F., Gertrude and Kate.
DR. GEORGE M. GAMBLE, surgeon-dentist, came to Kansas September 5, 1878, locating at Larned, where he remained until 1882, when he came to Burlingame. He was born in Bradford County, Pa., June 4, 1822. He engaged in lumbering and farming about twenty-two years, when he entered Jefferson Medical College; he graduated in 1848, and located in Susquehanna County and practiced his profession until 1852, when he removed to Indiana County, Pa., where he remained until 1862, and removed to Wyoming County, and remained until coming to Kansas. He served eight months as Surgeon for the Massachusetts' Fourth Heavy Artillery, in 1864. He was married in 1848, at Hanford, Susquehanna County, Pa., to Miss Catherine Guile, and has three children living - J. K., dentist at Carbondale, Lelia, and Ida. Mrs. Gamble died October 3, 1881, at Larned, Kansas. He is a member of the Equitable Aid Union of Pennsylvania. Has always been an active Republican. He married his second wife, Mrs. Mary S. Blanden, February 8, 1883.
CLINTON GAULT, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Harveyville, was born in Pike County, Ohio, June 2, 1832; son of Jacob Gault and Rebecca Blair. His grandparents were John Gault and Andrew Blair. Mr. Gault was brought up in his native State, and was educated in the common schools. He came to Kansas in 1871, and settled in Burlingame Township, on a farm containing 160 acres, on Dragoon Creek. Rocky Ford is on his farm, and at this point a dragoon soldier of the United States army was drowned, and the creek took its name from this fact. He was married in Ross County, Ohio, September 28, 1863, to Miss Martha J., daughter of Rev. John McNabb and Mary Slee. They have only two children, twins - Charles E. and Mary L. born July 7, 1865. Mr. Gault is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Burlingame.
REV. JAMES H. GREEN, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church came to Kansas, May 8, 1871, locating at Parkerville, Morris County. He remained there four years, and engaged in the mercantile business three years, and took a supply on Parkerville Circuit. For three years following was pastor of Junction City Church, one year at Blue Rapids, and two years on Waterville Circuit. In 1881, he preached at Muscotah, Atchison County, and came to Burlingame in March, 1882. He was born in Harrison County, Ind., November 8, 1832, remained in his native county until twenty-seven years old, attending the common schools, and attended one term of law school and practiced some. From 1863 to 1866 farmed in Macon County, Mo. In 1864 he enlisted in Company B, Sixty-second Missouri. Was elected Orderly Sergeant. He served as Assistant Train Master of the Division Train, Third Division, Army of the Cumberland, Brigadier-General O. M. Mitchell, commanding. He served through 1861 and 1862 to March 19, when he was discharged. Was in the Third Division of the Army of the Cumberland. He has been twice married; first in Harrison County, Ind., in 1859, to Miss Minerva J. Miller, and had two boys - Charles S., James M., and one daughter, Eva M., who died at the age of thirteen months. Mrs. Green died September 1, 1866, in Macon County, Mo. He was married again January 4, 1868, in Harrison County, Ind., to Miss Carrie McCown, a native of that county, and have two sons - Walter N., and Kingley T. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Frontier Lodge, No. 25, Junction City, Kan. He has been a zealous temperance worker.
C. HARDY, of the firm of Hardy & Lyons, druggists, also agenst (sic) for Wells, Fargo & Co. and the Pacific Express Co., carry a stock of about $,5000 and the annual sales will reach $15,000. Mr. Hardy came to Kansas in 1878, and was born in Warren County, Ohio, and attended school at Miami University and at Lebanon. In 1870 he became editor of the Western Star, one of the oldest newspapers in Western Ohio, and continued its publication for three years. In 1873 he engaged in the drug business at Union City, Ind., where he remained about four years. He was married in 1879 at Union City, to Miss Emma Cadwallader, a native of that city, and have one child - Agnes. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and was appointed City Treasurer in April, 1881.