|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ASHER - COWEE).
J. M. ASHER, attorney-at-law, of the firm of Asher & Callen, was born in Hancock County, Ill., April 6, 1840. During his infancy his father removed to Adair County, Mo., but after a short sojourn there changed his residence to Lee County, near Keokuk, Iowa. Leaving home at the age of nineteen he returned to Missouri, settling in Schuyler County, where he taught school and commenced the study of law. When about ready to apply for admission to the bar the war broke out and he abandoned his field of labors and coming to Kansas enlisted in the Sixth Cavalry, Company H., in which he served to the close of the war; was with this command in all their engagements in Arkansas, Missouri, and the Indian Territory; was in all the campaigns of General Lane, Blunt and Steele. He was wounded five times, and now carries a ball near his spine received at Mazard's Prairie, near Fort Smith, Arkansas; was taken prisoner and incarcerated at Camp Ford, Texas, Shreveport, La., and other Rebel pens, from which he several times made his escape, only to be recaptured and undergo greater suffering and privation. Finally, after one long weary year of brutal treatment, which almost completely broke down his health, he was exchanged and mustered out at Leavenworth, Kan., June 23, 1865. On the restoration of peace he again returned to Missouri, locating in Clark County, and was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in April, 1867. He was elected, in the fall of 1870, to a seat in the popular branch of the Missouri Assembly, and was an active and influential member of that body. In 1876 he came to Kansas and located at Junction City. Two years afterwards he was elected County Attorney, serving one term. He was married December 6, 1866, at Kirksville, Mo., to Miss Maggie Howe, a native of Kentucky, and have three children - Maggie M., Jim H., and May. He is a member of the Society of Ex-Prisoners of War, and a member of the Historical Committee of that society. In 1868-69 he edited the Clark County, Mo., Press; was tendered the nomination for State Senator in Missouri, but on account of business declined. He has always been a prominent and active Republican.
B. F. BAKER, attorney-at-law, came to Kansas in 1874; for two years was Superintendent of Schools of Osage County; graduated in the law department of Chicago University in 1868; was born in Tazewell County, Ill., January 11, 1845; engaged in farming and teaching school before going to Chicago, and attended Eureka College some three years; had charge of the school in Washington, Tazewell County, one term; after completing his course of study engaged in practice in El Paso, Ill.; was married in 1867 at El Paso, Ill., to Miss Myra Davis, a native of New York.
BENJAMIN V. BECKES, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Grand Haven, was born in Knox County, Ind., April 19, 1831; son of William P. Beckes and Margaret C. Jorden. His grandparents were Benjamin Becks and Thomas Jorden. Mr. Beckes grew up in Indiana; he came to Kansas in 1860, and settled in Burlingame Township, where he owns a half section which he has improved, from the raw prairie. He was married in Auburn, Shawnee County, Kan., January 26, 1860, to Miss Mary J. Brewer, a native of Greenwood, Johnson County, Ind., and daughter of William Brewer, who was a son of Daniel Brewer and Dorethy (sic) Darling Brewer, and Mary R. Graham, who was a daughter of Thomas Graham and Mary R. Parr Graham. They have four children - Mary, born November 26, 1860; Albert B., May 20, 1865; Frank M., August 5, 1870; and Archie R., March 26, 1874. Mr. Beckes is a member and elder of the Sharon Presbyterian Church.
DWIGHT C. BEVERLY, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Bolivar, Allegany County, N. Y., July 20, 1840, is a son of Philetus Beverly and Louisa Mix Beverly. When a child his parents removed to Lake County, Ill., where he was brought up. He was educated at the common schools and at Wheaton College. When the late Rebellion threatened to disrupt the nation he enlisted September 23, 1861, in Company G, Fifty-second Regiment Illinois Infantry, for three years, but owning to disability was discharged in June, 1862. Having regained his health he again enlisted October 3, 1864, in Battery C, Second Illinois Light Artillery, and was discharged August 3, 1865. He came to Kansas in 1868, and settled at Burlingame Township. Works 320 acres. He was married in Lake County, Ill., April 12, 1866, to Miss Charlotte A., daughter of James Bristol and Sarah Thorpe Bristol. They have six children - Philetus J., born October 22, 1868; Edna C., born May 1, 1870; Sarah L., born December 22, 1872; Ora R., born February 18, 1876; Hattie L., born January 22, 1879; and Renda L., born December 31, 1881. Mr. Beverly is a member and chaplain of the E. P. Sheldon Post No. 35, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
MILTON M. BEVERLY, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Burlingame; born in Cuba, Lake County, Ill., August 3, 1848; son of Philetus Beverly and Louisa Mix. When he grew to manhood came to the State in 1868; settled in Burlingame Township; owns 155 acres of rich bottom land under a good state of cultivation. He was united in marriage in Burlingame, December 5, 1872, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Harvey McCaston and Hanna Utler. They have three children - Frank M., born October 10, 1873; Grace M., born November 19, 1879; and Flora May, born March 5, 1882. Mr. Beverly is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HENRY A. BILLINGS, lumber dealer, of the firm of H. A. Billings & Co., also Vice-President of the Burlingame Savings Bank, carries a stock of lumber valued at $6,000; came to Kansas in March, 1865. For a few years followed farming near the town, and for seven years was Probate Judge of the county and during that time was a member of the firm of Billings, Marshall & Sheldon, real estate dealers. In 1879-80 was in the lumber business with W. Y. Drew, and afterward in the mercantile business with Mr. Drew, continuing until June, 1882. He was one of the stockholders of the new opera house, but sold his interest. He was born in Monroe County, N. Y., July 24, 1828. When nine years of age, moved with his parents to Williams County, Ohio; resided there eight years, and removed to La Grange County, Ind., and engaged in farming until coming to Kansas. He was married in the summer of 1849, at La Grange, Ind., to Miss Sarah E. Smart, a native of Newbold, near Hull, England. They have two children living - Seymour L. and Orely C.; have lost two children - one infant daughter and Frank, a young man who died in November, 1875, of malarial fever. Mr. Billings was Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners from June, 1870, until January, 1872. He is a stockholder of the Burlingame Union Agricultural Society. Was Appraiser of Real Estate one term in Indiana, and Justice of the Peace one term. Was prominent member of the Union League and an active Union man and Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
S. L. BILLINGS, of the real estate firm of C. M. Sheldon & Co. Mr. Billings has charge of the land and loan department. Was born in La Grange County, Ind., October 1, 1856 (sic). When nine years of age, moved with his father to Burlingame. Was in the lumber and mercantile business with his father for several years. Was married October 11, 1852, (sic) at Lyndon, Osage Co., Kan., to Miss Ida G. Whitman, daughter of Prof. J. S. Whitman, formerly Professor in Agricultural College. Mr. Billings is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Burlingame.
REV. GEORGE BRATTON came to Kansas in 1854 from Indiana County, Pa., having first organized a company, which was afterwards concentrated with the American Settlement Company of New York. Mr. Bratton located a quarter section of land, which is now a part of the town of Burlingame. He afterward took an additional claim of 160 acres near the present town site. In the spring of 1855 others came and joined the feeble settlement and located a saw-mill and went through all the privations of pioneer life. Rev. Mr. Bratton was born in Mifflin County, Pa., May 27, 1816. Resided there until 1838 and learned the carpenters' trade and moved to Western Pennsylvania. Was married November 1, 1838, at Centerville, Pa., to Miss Rebecca J. Allison, a native of Indiana County, Pa. Resided in that locality a few years, and returned to his native county. Exhorted some and was a member of the Quarterly Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church before coming West. In 1845 he united with the denomination of United Brethren in Christ, since which time he has been a minister of that denomination. While on his way to Kansas, Mr. Bratton, with others, was robbed of all the money he had, on the steamboat, but received assistance from Mrs. Bratton's brother, S. A. Allison, who, by the way, was the first postmaster of the little settlement. They kept a tavern in the building where the Kansas Lumber Company's office now is. In 1858, the Bratton House was erected, the lots being deeded to Mrs. Bratton by the Town Company. The first place of worship was in Mr. Bratton's cabin, which stood near the spot where the depot now stands. For many years Mrs. Bratton was the active proprietor of the Bratton House, Mr. Bratton being occupied with other matters. They have had nine children, of whom only two are now living; Joseph, now in business at Burlington, Coffey County, and Emma, now Mrs. S. E. Shibby, of Burlingame. Emma was the first child born in Burlingame. Two of the boys were in the army; Robert A., first in the Second Kansas and afterward in Company E, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; he was wounded at Peach Tree Creek in front of Atlanta, and brought home by his father, but never entirely recovered; was afterward elected Sheriff of Osage County but subsequently died from the effects of his wounds; Joseph M. enlisted in the Twelfth Kansas and served until the close of the war. At the time of the organization of Osage County, Mr. Bratton was Chairman of the Board and helped locate the county boundaries, roads, bridges, etc. Mr. Bratton has been a member of the City Council for fourteen years. Although becoming somewhat feeble in health, still takes an active interest in the town which he helped make, and still ministers in the church of his choice.
DR. GEORGE T. BROWN, physician and surgeon, came to Kansas November 16, 1865, from near Fort Madison, Iowa. He was born in Athens County, Ohio, August 15, 1830. In 1840 he removed to Iowa and attended Denmark Academy and common school and when about twenty-five years of age commenced reading medicine. Attended one course of lectures in New York City and completed his medical studies at Keokuk Medical College, graduating from the institution in February, 1864. Was acting Assistant Surgeon of Second Division, Fourth Army Corps, three months during Sherman's Atlanta campaign and on duty in Hospital No. 3, at Lookout Mountain, one year, and was then at the breaking up of the hospital, in September, 1865, being the last surgeon discharged from duty at that place. He was married in June, 1862, at Fort Madison, Iowa, to Miss Sarah M. Robinson, a native of Maine. They have three children living - Ernest R., Nellie and Winifred. Was elected Mayor of Burlingame in 1871, and again in 1874. He has been physician of Osage County poor farm since it was first established, in 1876. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and K. of H. orders, being Examining Physician for both orders. Dr. Brown is the oldest practicing physician in the town. He is a member of the State Medical Society.
GEORGE W. BROWN, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Scranton. Born in Highland County, Ohio, October 5, 1825; son of Samuel Brown and Elizabeth Mason. His grandfathers were Benoni Brown and Daniel Mason, and his grandmothers Catharine Land and Mary Bevis, daughter of Gen. Bevis. He recruited Company C, Sixth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was elected Captain in September, 1861. He participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Corinth and Perrysville. Resigned August 8, 1863, because of sickness. He came to the State in 1868; settled in Burlingame Township, where he owns a good farm of eighty acres, all improved; built a large stone house in 1880; cost, $2,000. He was married in Shelby County, Ind., November 22, 1846, to Miss Harriet Shew, daughter of Daniel Shew and Bethsheba Morris. They have the following children, viz: Asbury, born October 26, 1847; Samuel M., born December 22, 1849; Stephen R., born August 17, 1853; Susan C., born October 29, 1855; Harriet E., born January 27, 1858; George L., born September 10, 1859; Rose C., born March 23, 1861; John G., born March 27, 1864; Bertha A., born April 15, 1866; Catharine C., born December 15, 1867; Charles A., born July 13, 1869; Tillie E., born March 27, 1871. Mr. Brown is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a Master Mason and a Prohibitionist.
CHARLES E. BUEHLER, baker, came to Leavenworth in 1868, from Paris, Ky.; worked at his trade a short time and then came to Topeka, where he remained until July 2, 1869, when he commenced business in Burlingame. He was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, February 16, 1836. When twenty-four years of age he removed to London, England, where he lived until 1864, when he came to America, remaining in New York City, two and a half years, and then removed to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Paris, Ky., where he remained until coming to Kansas. He was married May 18,1870, at Leavenworth, Kan., to Christina Fisher. His business will average about $4,000 per year, and he carries a stock of $400. His business house and residence is 18x40 feet, two stories, and 25 feet addition was built in 1870, at a cost of $2,300. He owns six town lots and a forty-acre improved farm seven miles northwest of Burlingame. Mr. Buehler is a member of Burlingame Lodge and Encampment I. O. O. F.
JAMES H. BURKE, groceries, hardware and queensware, came to Kansas in May, 1867, form Otsego County, N. Y. First clerked for Levi Empie and at the end of a year became a partner with Mr. Empie, which continued one year. Then went into the real estate business with Hon. O. H. Sheldon, which he continued a few months and then went into the grocery business with H. C. Sheldon, and has since been actively engaged in business. Although making several changes in the firm name, he has always been the active man of the firm. While Mr. Burke has been actively engaged in merchandising, he has also developed coal on his farm south of town, and in the busy village of Burkeville he has a shaft that is producing a fine quality of coal in paying quantities. Mr. Burke was born in Headford, Galway County, Ireland, November 20, 1835. When about twelve years of age he entered the Fifty-fourth British Infantry as fifer and bugler, and when sixteen years of age was promoted to principal musician of the drum corps and was acknowledge to be the best bugler in the regiment. His regiment was stationed in Jersey, Guernsey, Bristol and Londonberry. At the expiration of five years he visited his widowed mother, and from there in 1853, came to America, settling in Schoharie County, N. Y., where he learned and worked at his trade, that of iron moulder, until 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Forty-fourth New York Volunteers, known as "Ellsworth's Avengers." Mr. Burke refused a Captain's commission in the Ninety-first New York, and joined his command as a private; participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, where he was appointed principal musician. In 1863 he was taken sick with typhoid fever, was sent to the hospital, and after a long sickness was transferred to the invalid corps. He was ordered to Alexandria in 1864, by Gen. Gile, was taken to the National Capital, where he assisted in organizing the Circle Bank, of which he was second leader. Was mustered out in July, 1865, and returned to New York, and in 1867 came to Burlingame. He was married December 31, 1857, at Sharon, Schoharie Co., N. Y., to Miss Emma C. Hagadorn, a native of that county and State, and as the result of this marriage has seven children, five of whom are living - Willie G., Oscar, Frank, Eugenie and Eddie. He is a member of the Corinthia Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and Temple Chapter, R. A. M., and the commander of Sheldon Post, No. 35, G. A. R. In July, 1882, the post of Osage County elected Mr. Burke Colonel of Osage County Battalion, and at the second annual reunion of Kansas soldiers, held at Topeka, in September, 1882, was elected Brigadier-General of Third Brigade, Third Division. For three years was a member of the City Council of Burlingame, and for two years Mayor of the city. Has been Treasurer of Burlingame Agricultural Society five years, and actively interested in its success. He has always been a Republican and generally taken an active part in local politics.
JOHN C. CARMINE, billiard hall, came to Kansas in 1859, from Johnson County, Ind. Was born in Mercer County, Ky., in 1839. When quite young moved with his parents to Indiana. Enlisted in 1863 in Havana, Kansas, in Company K, Eleventh Kansas, in which command he served until the close of the war. Owns a farm six miles southwest of Burlingame. Mr. Carmine was one of the first Constables of Osage County.
J. M. CHAMBERS, proprietor Sante Fe Mills, Burlingame, Kansas, came to Kansas in the spring of 1859, from Pittsburg, Pa. He was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., where he remained until twenty-five years of age, engaged, when not going to school, in teaching graded school. When seventeen, entered Elders Ridges Academy, remaining about four years. Read theology for a year, and had to quit studying on account of failing health. Went to Tipton, Cedar Co., Iowa, where he taught a select school for about two years, and then came to Kansas. He was elected County Superintendent of Osage County in 1860. In 1861 he entered the mercantile business, which he followed ten years. In 1873, he was elected Clerk of the District Court, which office he held two terms. Has been Justice of the Peace for four terms. Commenced milling in 1881. United with the Presbyterian Church when fourteen years of age, and has been an elder in the church here since its organization in 1860. He was married in 1852 in Indiana County, Pa., to Miss Charlotte M. Martin, and had six children, three of whom are living - Jesse M., Anna M., and Lottie J.
JOSEPH CHARLTON, manufacturer of harness and saddles. Carries a stock of about $1,000, and average sales will reach $1,500. Came to Kansas in 1862. Located at Lawrence. Was foreman of J. G. Sands' wholesale harness manufactory, until coming to Burlingame in 1880. Was born in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England, July 12, 1833. When quite young his parents came to America, locating at Philadelphia. Remaining there until he was twenty-one years of age, Mr. Charlton then removed to Princeton, Bureau Co., Ill. He was married in 1855, in Philadelphia, to Miss Kate R. Nice, and have six children - Wm. H., Edward F., Alvin N., Lila, Minnie and Anna M. Remained in Princeton, engaged at his business until coming to Kansas, which he did principally on account of his wife's health, she being troubled with hemorrhage of the lungs. But since coming to Kansas Mrs. Charlton has entirely recovered. Mr. Charlton is a member of A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F.
J. Q. COWEE, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Grand Haven, was born in Greene County, N. Y., April 13, 1830, and is the son of James Cowee and Augusta Adams. He was educated at Cortland Academy, Homer, N. Y., and New York Central College, McGrawville, N. Y. He came to Kansas in 1856 and settled in Burlingame Township, where he owns 320 acres for his home farm and 480 acres in other parts of the State. He has an extensive orchard of 2,300 apple trees in bearing, two acres in grapes, and fifty cherry trees. He employs three hands all the time. When he arrived in the territory it was sparsely settled and he had to go to Kansas City for nearly everything; and the country was full of border ruffians who tried to intimidate him, and at one time took him prisoner, while he was on his way to Kansas City for provisions. They pretended to engage him to go to Lecompton with their agency to pay him $5 to take a load of them there, but, on the way they met a large force returning who claimed him as their prisoner. He, however, was not intimated, but asked for his pay the next morning as it was necessary for him to go to Kansas City, and after he had insisted on their paying him he received $5 in gold and a pass from the United States Marshal, and went on his way rejoicing. His experience in pioneer life is like that of nearly all those who came to the State at that time. Mr. Cowee was married in Cleveland, Ohio, November 9, 1855, to Miss Emerancia C., daughter of Clark Drinkwater and Prudence P. Pease, who has been a true helpmeet for him, teaching school to aid in securing a home, and a beautiful home they now have to enjoy.