|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (JARVIS - PARMITER).
JAMES F. JARVIS, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Wilmington, was born in Ripley County, Ind., December 24, 1833, and is a son of James and Maria Jarvis. He was raised on a farm and came to Kansas October 1, 1879, and was married December 27, 1859, to Miss Elizabeth Harmon, daughter of John and Nancy Harmon. She died August, 1864, leaving three children - Ralighen, Luclia F., and Etta D. He was drafted during the late war but furnished a substitute. He was married January 21, 1866, to Miss Rosana Hallgarth, the daughter of John and Mary Hallgarth. They have seven children, as follows: - Mary Maria Jarvis, born November 26, 1866, in Switzerland County; Emie Elizabeth, born June 22, 1868; Bellyora, born March 26, 1870; Clarence Melven, born February 7, 1872; Ada Viola, born, September, 16, 1874; Abie Maud, born August 14, 1876; Effie Etteny, born August 21, 1878. He was born in Ripley County, Ind., and came to Kansas October 1, 1879.
JOSEPH JOHNSON, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Harveyville, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., October 31, 1832, son of Andrew Johnson and Charlotte Clifford, daughter of John Clifford and Maria Rink. His grandfather, Benjamin Johnson, settled in Philadelphia in an early day. Mr. Johnson grew up in the city and learned the carpenters' trade, and followed that business in that city and for a time in Wisconsin and Illinois. He came to this State in 1857 and settled in Wabaunsee County, Section 3, near the line of Osage County. He owns 240 acres in all. During the war he was called out in the militia and participated in the battle with Sterling Price. Mr. Johnson has been twice married. In Wabaunsee County, Kansas, in October, 1870, to Emma Mawheter. He has one child - Walter, born December 5, 1876. His father, who came with him, died May 2, 1868, seventy-two years of age.
DR. JAMES HALLER, physician and surgeon, came to Kansas and located in Burlingame in the spring of 1868. He was born in Franklin, Warren Co., Ohio, March 4, 1824. Commenced reading medicine with his father Dr. John S. Haller, in 1846. Attended Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1849-50 and 1851, graduating in the latter year. Went to California in 1852, and practiced his profession there two years, returned home and went to Philadelphia, where he attended the course of lectures for the winter term of 1854-55 at Jefferson Medical College, during which time he was a private pupil of that eminent physician, Dr. J. M. Dacosta, now Professor of Theory and Practice in the afore named college. He was married September 2, 1856, at Middletown, Ohio, to Annie B. Schenck. They have six children - Ada, a teacher in Burlingame public schools; Mary, married to H. G. Bonham, and living in Emporia; Irving in the mercantile business in Burlingame; Jane, attending State Normal School at Emporia; James, and George attending public schools in Burlingame. He was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the Thirty-eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, June 10, 1861, and served as such until July 13, 1863, when he was commissioned Surgeon of the same regiment. After the battle of Chickamanga he was transferred to the Hospital of the Third Division of the Fourteenth Army Corps. Where he remained until mustered out at Savannah, Ga., January 9, 1865. He is now serving his second term as Mayor of the City of Burlingame. He is also serving, by appointment of Governor Glick, as one of the Regents of the State Normal School at Emporia.
HON. PETER KIRBY, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Albany County, N. Y., May 26, 1831, and is a son of William Kirby and Elizabeth Bentley. He worked for his father on a farm in the summer and attended district school in the winter up to the time he was twenty, then he entered Alboin College as a student, remaining there until the fall of 1853. In 1854 he attended Cedar Park Seminary and went to Iowa to read law with Marsh & Craig, being admitted to the bar in 1856. He returned to Michigan and engaged in teaching and the practice of law up to the time he came to Kansas (1860) and settled in Burlingame Township, where he has resided since on a farm containing 240 acres, with excellent improvements, buildings, orchard, etc. He was called out in the militia and participated in the battle of the Blue. He was married in Schoolcraft, Michigan, March 28, 1860, to Miss Helen M., daughter of Erastus Tisdale, and Hannah Blanchard Tisdale. They have four children - Cora, born February 11, 1861; Stella, born April 15, 1862; Codras W., born July 5, 1864; and Charles E. born May 14, 1866. Mr. Kirby was County Superintendent of Schools from 1864 until 1870. Cora is a graduate of Washburn College, and is now reading law. Stella will graduate from the same school in the class of 1884. Mrs. Kirby is a member of the Baptist Church.
CHARLES A. LINKENAUGER, farmer, P. O. Burlingame, has 20 acres, a portion of which is laid off as an addition to the town. His house, which is a two story stone building, well finished, was built in 1867, at a cost of about $2,500. He came to Kansas, locating at the mouth of Switzler Creek, in August 1854. In 1866 he sold out and bought a farm adjoining it, where he found coal. He once hauled a load of fifty bushels to Kansas City for which he received a $50 bill. He removed to his present place about 1867 and since then has made it one of the best improved places in his locality. In the fall of 1880 parties leased his ground for the purpose of prospecting for coal. The result was the discovery of a twenty to twenty-four inch vein of coal. The shaft was named the "Black Diamond," and has proved a permanent paying investment for all parties interested. Mr. Linkenauger was born December 19, 1826, in Montgomery County, Va. His father moved to Botetourt County, Va., when he was a small boy, where he remained until 1853 engaged in farming. He then concluded to go to California, but finally altered his plans and settled in Kansas. He took part in favor of a Free-State and honest Governments during the early days. He was a member of the Osage Battalion during the Price raid. He was married in August, 1866, at Westport, Mo., to Mrs. Fanny Smith, and have one child - Willie. He is one of the original members of Burlingame Lodge I. O. O. F. and has always been a Democrat.
NEWTON McDONALD was born at Mercer, Pa., December 15, 1846. There he lived until October, 1861, when he enlisted as a drummer boy, in Company E, Fifty-seventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. In 1862 he entered the ranks. He participated in all the battles of the army of the Potomac. Was discharged and mustered out of service at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1865. He then returned to Mercer, where he lived until 1869, when he removed to Burlingame, where his father, Joseph McDonald, had lived since November, 1854. Here he began work in the Chronicle office, remaining there until 1870, when he entered the employe of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, working in this general offices, where he remained for several years. He afterward spent some time in Colorado, and wrote many able letters from there, for the press. He was married January 2, 1872, to Miss Mary A. Smith, of Burlingame. She was a native of Oswego, N. Y. They have two children - Bertie, born May 13, 1873, and Leona, born January 27, 1875.
DAVID, WILLIAM AND EDWARD MAHONEY, farmers, Section 28, P. O. Scranton, was born in Kansas, sons of Daniel Mahoney and Mary Hickey. David, born December 25, 1859; William, March 17, 1861; Edward, November 9, 1863. Their parents came from Ireland in 1850, and finally settled in Kansas, and passed through the hardships incident to a pioneer life, with the border troubles added. The father, Daniel Mahoney, died Nov. 9, 1880, leaving the wife and sons owners of a splendid farm of 840 acres, with good improvements. They are of the Catholic faith.
HON. IRA MEAD, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Burlingame, born in Putnam County, N. Y., October 4, 1823; son of Squire Mead and Polly Wright. His grand parents were David Mead and John Wright. He was educated at Amenia Academy. He commenced the study of law in Putnam County, and was admitted to the bar in New York City in 1854. He had previously served a full term as Clerk of Putnam County. He went to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and engaged in the lumber business. He was elected and served as County Judge of Eau Claire County two terms, from 1859 to 1861. In 1878 he came to Kansas and settled in Burlingame Township, where he owns 400 acres. He built a large house and other buildings in 1878, at a cost of $3,000. He is making stock and dairying a special feature of his farming. He was married in Putnam County, N. Y., December 11, 1847, to Miss Julia F., daughter of Anson Clason and Laurette Williams. They have had ten children - Anson, born February 8, 1849, died December 30, 1852; Squire, born July 12, 1852, died January 4, 1853; Charles W., born February 22, 1854; Walter J., December 29, 1857; Elie D., born May 11, 1850, died January 2, 1866; Mary E., born July 22, 1862; Alexander, July 4, 1864; Leander, May 3, 1866; Julia F., born May 4, 1868, died September 21, 1869; and Francis, September 22, 1869. Mr. Mead is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Burlingame.
F. M. NELSON, cashier of Burlingame Savings Bank. Came to Kansas in 1871, from Lebanon, Ohio. The first year engaged in farming and stock raising with his brother, O. H. Nelson. In 1872 became a stockholder and member of the Board of Directors of the bank. He was born in Warren County, Ohio, July 13, 1847. In 1865 he entered the Southwestern Normal School and Business Institute, of Lebanon, Ohio, from which institution he graduated April 18, 1866, having previously completed the course of study in the high school. For three years following he was bookkeeper with Warren County Bank, of Lebanon, Ohio. He was married June 3, 1875, at Burlingame, Kansas, to Miss Alice M. King, eldest daughter of Rev. V. M. King, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Burlingame, and have two children, Victor C. and Adelia H. Has been President of the School Board for two years. He is a member of Corinthian Lodge, No. 79, A., F. & A. M., and Temple Chapter, No. 26, R. A. M., and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Has been a member of the City Council, City Treasurer and Township Treasurer.
JOHN H. NELSON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 3, P. O. Wakarusa, owns 166 acres, all enclosed and in cultivation but fifteen acres of timber. Raises corn almost entirely for feeding; has 14 horses, 2 mules, 75 head of cattle, and 100 hogs; makes a specialty of fine stock; has a full-blood Durham bull; has barns, sheds and all conveniences for stock-raising and feeding, and a mill for grinding his feed; his place is especially adapted for stock, as it is sheltered and has plenty of water. Born in Indiana in 1820, and came to Illinois in 1854, and from there to Kansas in 1859, locating on this farm. Married February 29, 1848, to Miss Rebecca McCam, who died in 1850, leaving one daughter, Phoebe E. Was married second time February 29, 1852, to Miss Rebecca Elder; they have eleven children - Oliver P., Charles N., Lyman T., John A., Clara M., Ulysses Grant, Flora May, George H., William E., Benjamin F., and James Leroy. Was a member of Kansas State Militia, and called out during the Price raid, and participated in the fight at Locust Grove, Mo. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
O. H. NELSON, merchant, of the firm of Finch, Lord & Nelson, came to Kansas in April 1868. Engaged in farming and stock-raising for five years. In 1870-71 was in partnership with Mr. Filley in the hardware business. Moved into town in 1875. Has been engaged in stock business since. In 1880 became a partner in present firm. In 1881 commenced buying, driving and shipping from the Pan Handle of Texas. The firm handled about 10,000 native steers the first year. In the spring of 1882 they purchased a ranch of 18,000 acres of land in Motley County, Texas, being 150 miles from the Texas Pacific Railroad and 350 miles from Dodge City, Kansas. Handled about 13,500 head of cattle in 1882, and have ten men employed. Mr. Nelson usually goes down in April and remains until winter. Was born in Warren County, Ohio, October 9, 1850, where he continued to reside until coming to Kansas. Completing his education at the Southwestern Normal Institute, at Lebanon, Ohio. Was married December, 1869, at Burlingame, to Miss Flora Lord, of Connecticut, and have five children - Clifford, Hattie, Marie, Carry and Hunter. Was mayor of Burlingame two terms - 1879-80. Is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of H.
JUDGE S. H. NEWMAN, real estate, came to Kansas in 1869. He was born in Wyoming County, Pa., September 2, 1881; resided there until 1847; removed to Bradford County and engaged in mercantile pursuits at Canton until 1861, and in 1861 he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania, Gen. Baker's Independent Brigade. Was in the Army of the Potomac; was Captain of Company D; was in the engagements at Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, Antietam and Gettysburg. After the battle of Fair Oaks, was in the hospital a short time, and resigned on a certificate of disability from Surgeon General Hammond. Returned home, but re-entered the service under the call of Gov. Curtin, with commission as Major of the Thirteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers; term of service expired, and just before the battle of Gettysburg was commissioned Major of the Thirty-Second Pennsylvania Volunteers. Was in active service three months, and on the advice of the Surgeon General went to Montana for his health in the spring of 1864, remaining until November 1. On his return home he entered the Provost-Marshal's office of the Thirteenth District of Pennsylvania, being deputy of ex-surgeon's department, where he remained until the close of the war, and returned to Canton and engaged in mercantile pursuits until coming to Kansas. He has been twice married, first in October, 1840, at Troy, Pa., to Miss A. A. Manly, and had seven children, six of whom are living - Emma, A. S., Mattie M., Samuel H., Jr., Walter G. and Fannie E. Mrs. Newman died at Canton, Pa., in 1862. He was again married in November, 1873, at Burlingame, Kan., to Miss Mary E. Tabor, a native of Canton, and have two children - Lou E. and Frank A. He has always been identified with the Republican party. Is a member of the G. A. R., Burlingame, Kan. Is now sixty-five years old, in the enjoyment of robust health, and in active business as real estate agent, Police Judge and notary public.
EDWARD S. PALMER, farmer, Section 39, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Norwich Ontario, September 23, 1845; son of William S. Palmer and Phoebe G. Gainor. He came to the United States and settled in Athens, Mich., and came to Kansas in 1868. He settled in Burlingame Township, where he has since resided. Mr. Palmer was married in Lawrence, Kan., October 21, 1871, to Miss Emma, daughter of Nelson Isham and Fannie Hunter. They have three children - Nellie, born September 5, 1872; Mabel, born September 8, 1875; and Grace, born October 13, 1882. Mr. Palmer is a member of the Society of Friends.
REUBEN F. PLAYFORD, attorney-at-law, came to Burlingame, Kan., when a boy, in the month of July, 1857. In 1861 enlisted in the Second Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry, under the call of President Lincoln for 75,000 volunteers. Was in the battle of Wilson's Creek on the 10th of August, and within a few feet of Gen. Lyon when he was killed. Was in all the battles the Second Kansas was engaged in. Was mustered out in the fall of 1861, when the regiment was re-organized as a cavalry regiment. Enlisted again in the summer of 1862, in the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Thomas Ewing, Jr., Colonel commanding; was appointed Private Orderly to the Colonel; was promoted to First Lieutenant, Company D, Second Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry, September 1, 1863. This regiment was commanded by Col. Samuel J. Crawford, afterward elected and re-elected Governor of Kansas. Was acting Adjutant of the regiment in the campaign south of the forces under Maj. Gen. Fred Steel, who was marching to join Maj. Gen. N. P. Banks, in his Red River expedition. On the retreat of Gen. Steel from Camden, Ark., after Gen. Banks had been defeated, and at the battle of Jenkins Ferry on the Saline River between the Federals under Steel and the Rebels under Lieut. Gen Kirby Smith, Adjutant Playford's horse was shot from under him by the last shot fired from the battery taken in the memorable charge of Col. Crawford's regiment. The regiment was then known as the Eighty-third United States Infantry. He was promoted to Quartermaster in August, 1865, in preference to accepting a Captaincy in the line. Was mustered out in the latter part of December, 1865. Returning to Burlingame, went into the drug business, starting the first exclusively drug store in Osage County. Sold out to his brothers in December, 1866, who now have the finest and largest drug house in the county. The father was admitted into the firm in 1868, the style of which is now, Playford & Sons. He then moved to New York and stayed a year, then back to Chicago, staying two years, then back to Burlingame in 1859. Began the study of law in 1870 with the Hon. James Rogers, the pioneer lawyer of the county. Was admitted to practice in 1872. Was elected Justice of the Peace and tried during his term of office (two years) nearly 300 cases, in only four of which juries were called and only five were appealed to a higher court and not one reversed; twice elected City Judge. Is now City Attorney, has a fine office and one of the best law libraries in the county, and a large and lucrative practice. Is a member of the United Order of Ancient Templars. Has been Grand Templar of the Order in the State; is also a Past Master Workman and representative to the Grand Lodge of the Ancient Order of United Women. Was born in Geneva, Ontario Co., N. Y., August 19, 1842. Was married in July, 1865, at Lyons, Wayne Co., N. Y., to Miss Lucy Adams. They have had four children - Minne, Elizabeth, Thomas Arthur and Lydia. Minnie died in infancy.
THOMAS PLAYFORD, druggist, Santa Fe Avenue, carries a stock of about $6,000, and average trade amounts of $7,000 per annum. His son, J. J. Playford, is a partner in the business. Came to Burlingame April 3, 1857, and worked at his trade, that of a shoemaker, for the first six years. For five years following farmed one mile north of Burlingame, and in 1868 sold his farm and entered the drug business with his two sons, in a frame building, corner of Santa Fe Avenue and Dakota Street, where he continued until the building of Union Hall Block, when he purchased his present handsome store and a half interest in the opera house. Was born in Sussex County, England, April 15, 1818. When eleven years of age, came to America with his father, who located at Bath, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. After a short time moved to Troy, where he resided six years, working in a dairy. Resided in Ontario, Montgomery and Wayne counties, and finished the shoemakers' trade at Geneva, N. Y., where he was married in 1840 to Miss Elizabeth Jeffrey, a native of Leicestershire, England. Remained in Geneva until coming to Kansas. In 1849 his wife died, leaving four boys and one girl. Was married again in June, 1850, at same place, to Miss Lydia A. Osbourne, a native of Sussex County, N. J. Of his children, only three are now living - Reuben F., an attorney of Burlingame; Jessie J., with his father; Charles S., Osage City. Was elected Probate Judge of Osage County in 1868. Judge Playford was active in assisting the loyal cause during early days, and during the war a member of the Osage Battalion. Is a member of Burlingame Lodge, No. 14, I. O. O. F. Is a member of the Baptist Church.
EPHRAIM PARMITER, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Burlingame, was born in Vermont, April 29, 1812; son of John Parmiter and Elizabeth Rowe. He removed with his parents to Ohio, when but one year old, and then grew up on a farm, receiving a common school education. He came to Kansas in 1869 and settled in Burlingame Township, where he has since resided upon a farm containing 480 acres. He also owns a grist and saw-mill. Mr. Parmiter is one of the leading farmers in his section of the county. He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, October 5, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Steel, who died June 18, 1843. He was again married, in Jackson County, Ohio, February 5, 1846, to Eliza Musgrove. He has seven children - John C., born August 23, 1838; James H., born July 28, 1840; Elizabeth A., born March 22, 1847; William F., born August 23, 1850; George E., born July 4, 1855; Martha A., born June 15, 1859; and Allie M., born June 1, 1863. Mr. Parmiter is an active member of the Christian Church, and fills the office of an elder, well.